• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Remember that Candy redesign someone posted a while back? InASnowBoundLand referred to it but I can't find it.

It's probably the only way I'd accept her return at this point regardless.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
so i've noticed a bit of a trend among people who dont follow the dk series at all, where people think tiny kong and dixie kong are the same character. like i saw someone on twitter talk about how dixie got pigtails in dk64

we're always lamenting about how dixie not being in 64 hurt her popularity so maybe we should use this confusion to our advantage

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Found it on Deviantart:
https://www.deviantart.com/mattdog1000000/art/Candy-Kong-re-imagined-761592792

That's what the real Candy looks like now.
so i've noticed a bit of a trend among people who dont follow the dk series at all, where people think tiny kong and dixie kong are the same character. like i saw someone on twitter talk about how dixie got pigtails in dk64

we're always lamenting about how dixie not being in 64 hurt her popularity so maybe we should use this confusion to our advantage
Trixie Kong: The Last Nintendo All-Star

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
That's pretty cool, definitely my favorite that I've seen so far. I wouldn't have thought about it but it works. I wonder what she'd look like with blue headphones around her neck.

Edit:

I just changed the eyes cause I thought they looked a little too not like a DK character.

She looks happier too.

Oh god, I just noticed. SHE HAS HEADPHONES ON. BUT NOT ON HER EARS: AROUND HER NECK AS A FASHION STATEMENT. SO SHE CAN TOTALLY HEAR US! How embarrassing.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Maybe they kidnapped some pig scientists to do the difficult math for them? Professor Chops does look like an egghead.
I don't know about Professor Chops... but I could probably see a entirely new character come into the scene to help them make it again. Somebody very similar to Snide. Imagine the Kremlings having this new Einstein on their krew to help them rebuild the Blast-O-Matic or a weapon similar to it in the next DKCR game and Snide comes back to help the Kongs fight back against the Kremlings, K. Rool, and their new evil genius. That would be so sick and sweet.

Trixie Kong: The Last Nintendo All-Star
Trixie Kong would probably be like:

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So Amiibo costumes have been confirmed not to return in Mario Maker 2... disappointing, since I was looking forward to seeing K. Rool included, but also because Dixie Kong could have been part of the line up just like how Daisy was a costume in the first Mario Maker and this could have been an acknowledgement of her.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So Amiibo costumes have been confirmed not to return in Mario Maker 2... disappointing, since I was looking forward to seeing K. Rool included, but also because Dixie Kong could have been part of the line up just like how Daisy was a costume in the first Mario Maker and this could have been an acknowledgement of her.
****! I really wanted to see 8-bit K. Rool in Mario Maker.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
That's pretty cool, definitely my favorite that I've seen so far. I wouldn't have thought about it but it works. I wonder what she'd look like with blue headphones around her neck.

Edit:

I just changed the eyes cause I thought they looked a little too not like a DK character.

She looks happier too.

Oh god, I just noticed. SHE HAS HEADPHONES ON. BUT NOT ON HER EARS: AROUND HER NECK AS A FASHION STATEMENT. SO SHE CAN TOTALLY HEAR US! How embarrassing.
My buddy Juliusaurus Juliusaurus made that. He's a good artist, but I can't say I'm a fan of that design. The hair looks all right, but everything else makes her look like furry bait. Actual furry bait, not ironic "Ha ha, it's Jessica Rabbit but she's a monkey!" furry bait.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So I wanted to ask you guys, what you think about Krystal from Star Fox? Do you think she is a interesting character that would bring a unique moveset into Smash with her staff, or do you think she is just over sexualized furry bait? I like Krystal for who she is and what she can bring to the Smash table.

ZelDan

Smash Master
So I wanted to ask you guys, what you think about Krystal from Star Fox? Do you think she is a interesting character that would bring a unique moveset into Smash with her staff, or do you think she is just over sexualized furry bait?

I haven't actually played a Star Fox game so this is mostly a joke. She could probably bring a unique moveset with what little I know of her.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Honestly if you're not at least accepting of furries, both the people and the designs (which may or may not be innately sexual, it's not exclusively the latter) in the year of our lord 2019 then you're just behind everyone else.

I don't think that Candy design is really sexualized, either way. She just has pink lipstick but that's really it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So I wanted to ask you guys, what you think about Krystal from Star Fox? Do you think she is a interesting character that would bring a unique moveset into Smash with her staff, or do you think she is just over sexualized furry bait? I like Krystal for who she is and what she can bring to the Smash table.
One of my most wanted. She got treated really poorly by the franchise in the last couple of games, she brings a new moveset to a franchise that desperately needs one, and honestly I want that thing of 'All Krystal fans are horny furries' to die.

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
DIXIE KONG 4 SUPER SMASH BROS. - 50 FACTS EXTRAVAGANZA

01. She's the best female character Nintendo has ever done, at least on par with Samus. Zelda? She's very cool, but sadly she alwasy gets roles that are a little too passive in her own games. Peach? She's fine but she always gets kidnapped. Daisy? Come on, let's be serious. Isabelle is very fun and cute, but in the end she's just a paperworker. Palutena and Rosalina are always just standing around, too. Dixie instead is always on the front line kicking the ***** of crocodiles and walruses, she never got kidnapped and she also plays electric guitar. Dixie is rad.
02. HER HAIR IS A BANANA YOUR ARGUMENT IS INVALID
03. The King of Kings becoming playable has been a good thing for the DK franchise in Smash, but it is still a little underexposed. Dixie is the next character in line, and she has been for a very long time.
04. DKC2 and DKC:TF are universally considered the best DKC games. Dixie has a central role in both of them. Coincidences? I don't think so.
05. In fact, Dixie has also been the main character of her very own game, DKC3, which was very succesful in its own right. It also contains NUTS & BOLTS, a song with one of the absolutely most killerific basslines in all of gaming. How many characters can share such an honor?
06. She's Diddy's girlfriend. Another honor that no one else can share. Plus, Diddy & Dixie are objectively the only good ship in all of Nintendo. They look like the couple of friends that you sometimes go to visit at their place, smoking weed and listening to good music.
07. The 90's style, dude, with that french-style hat. Rare at its finest.
08. With her ponytail, Dixie can lift objects 10 times as heavy as she is. Not too shabby.
09. I think that DKC3 is the only game represented in Smash in which the final boss is playable, but the main character isn't. I mean, K. Rool even has the Propellerpack which is a direct reference. It seems weird to me. Does it seem weird to you? It should. Let's rectify this as soon as possible.
10. Dixie is not an anime girl. In this day and age, this is at least a point for originality.
11. Objectively the best ponytail around. There are other videogame characters with a ponytail, but I don't think any of them can use it to float in the air. Well, apart from Tiny Kong. But she's discount Dixie anyways.
12. In almost all the DKCs in which she is playable, Dixie is the most useful/most fun kong to play as. In DKC3 for sure, and in DKCTF she notoriously overshadows all the others.
13. She doesn't appear in DK64 (apparently) because of executive meddling, but she's so essential to the series that Rare had to squeeze in a substitute for her, in the form of Tiny Kong.
14. Even in the middle of the action, Dixie finds time to chew her chewing gum. That's badass
15. As a character, both RARE and RETRO STUDIOS worked on her. Only the top quality studios get to work on Dixie
16. Dixie is a feminist icon. She proves that the girls can be just as autonomous, independent and asskicking as the boys. Or maybe even more, since...
17. Dixie is more or less the only kong that K. Rool never managed to kidnap.
18. I don't know about you, but in Ultimate, when I play as Diddy against K. Rool with Crocodile Cacophony in the background, I've got the feeling that somebody is missing
19. Dixie can play guitar: an activity that requires a lot of practice, talent and dedication. Hats off for her
20. Beating up everyone using a monkey with a ponytail would be hilarious.
21. The marketing division doesn't seem to particularly like Dixie. This means that Dixie is cool, and that she remains popular mostly thanks to the genuine love of fans
22. In her spirit fight, she isn't represented by Diddy, but by Isabelle. She would not be an echo, confirmed.
23. In fact, thanks to her ponytail, her moveset can be absolutely CRAZY
24. When she hits the floor with her ponytail, the ground shakes. Imagine how much strenght that thing must have
25. DKC2 is a masterpiece, but, honestly, Red Hot Ride is a pretty boring level. Guess which kong you can use to jump off the baloons and float to the next landmark, thus reducing the traversal time?
26. The number of playable monkeys should be as high as the number of playable swordsmen. Monkeys are cool
27. Dixie is playable in EVERY game she appears in, other than Smash. What happened to you, Smash? You used to be cool...
28. Dixie is iconic: she was the first explicitely female character to not be a damsel in distress, she's got unique abilites that have influenced later characters (like Shantae) and she has a very long history.
29. One of her idle animations in Tropical Freeze has Dixie play air guitar and to the sign of the horse. Dixie is METAL
30. In spite of her METAL side, she's still very femine, with her cute demeanor and her pink clothes. Dixie doesn't follow trends, she has her own style.
31. She's got a gun that shoots chewing gums
32. She was supposed to be playable in Brawl, in a tag-team with Diddy, but the idea was cut because of technical limitations. It would be great to see Sakurai finish what he started
33. Dixie could bring with her a ton of music from Tropical Freeze, which has one of the best and most soulful soundtracks in all of gaming
34. Because of Dixie, the ice cream of a 5-meter tall polar bear with a giant mallet who is very pissed falls to the ground. And she doesn't apologize. Instead, she kicks the polar bear's ***.
35. Canonically, she managed to defeat K. Rool and overrun the Kremlings in DKC3, even in spite of the "help" of Ellie the elephant and Parry the parallel bird, the most useless animal buddies in history.
36. The move she uses in TF while underwater, when she spins her ponytail to propel herself forward like a jet would be a crazy awesome side B.
37. Her final smash could be her motorboat from DKC3, which gives the opportunity to have cameos of Funky, and maybe even of a ski-surfing Cranky
38. We DESERVE a happy ending to the jane_ponytail thing.
39. Dixie is a charater that was born in the 90's. Having more 90's in the roster is always a good thing.
40. In DKC2-3 she was less athletic than in Tropical Freeze. This means that Dixie is a monkey that exercises and keeps herself fit.
41. She could use Kiddy for one of her moves, partnering up with him, and maybe launching him or getting launched by him. Kiddy is not a very exciting charactere per se, but it could represent the pair up mechanic, which was very important in the original DKC trilogy.
42. She could also float with her ponytail. Floating is not a Smash mechanic since Smash 4, so it would be a very unique trait.
43. The ponytail can also act as a tether grab, like Lucas' snake or Link's hookshot. Dixie's moveset potential, as you can see, is off the charts
44. Chewing gum, electric guitar, laidback attitude (more in the classics than in TF), alternative clothes and fruit juice. Dixie encompasses everything about the rad 90's aestethic. She probably drinks Monster, too
45. She can do the splits. I think this is notable. Like, I can't do it for the life of me
46. Tropical Freeze is at the very least one of the best 2d platforms of the last two decades, and it deserves to be represented with a character. Dixie is arguably TF's breakout character so she's the most adequate.
47. A lot of fans have been waiting for Dixie ever since before a good half of Smash 4's newcomers even existed... Let's make them happy.
48. This topic defines her as "The last Nintendo All-Star", and this topic is right.
49. Think about Diddy. I mean, I think he sure is missing his girlfriend here. What whit that assaulting side B.
50. Dixie becoming playable in Smash would make Steve Mayles and David Wise very happy. I think David Wise deserves as much happiness as he gave to us.
51. I could go on, but I'll think I'll stop here
Your Passion is quite admirable :)

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't hate her, but I can honestly kinda see why Sakurai never really priortised her, even when she was 'relevant' during the Brawl era.

I just think Star Fox Adventures is a really weird game to draw a moveset from. It's not recent, and it's not particurly beloved by the SF fanbase (what's even left of it, anyway). Like, I still see people complaining about Rosalina getting in, but I always thought it made sense: the Mario Galaxy duology were two of the most critically acclaimed games Nintendo ever produced, so I think commemorating it with a full on playable character was sensible. SFA on the other hand, kinda has that reputation of being a mediocre Zelda clone and a downright terrible Star Fox game.

In general...Star Fox characters have really never been a high priority for Sakurai. Falco only got into Melee because they needed clones, and Wolf got into Brawl because he was popular and unlike Krystal, he could work as a cheap, hacked together semi-clone. Sakurai stated as such here:

https://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/08/17/sakuraibrawlquestions/

In the end, the three playable characters in this game from “Star Fox” are Fox and Falco, and on top of that, Wolf, because he was popular and easy to create. On the other hand, if it was a situation where it wasn’t easy to create this character, and we had to make him from scratch, “Star Fox” may not have had 3 representatives. So, please think of Wolf as a lucky inclusion.
How ironic that the main selling point for Krystal ("she could have a unique staff based moveset!") ended up being her downfall in the long run.

The fact that Wolf got into the game so late and felt so unfinished (in terms of animations), and the fact that he got cut altogether in Smash 4, really indicates that yeah, a third SF rep was never a big priority for Sakurai for Brawl. And this was when the series was frequently getting games every other year.

Last edited:

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Maybe it's the Rare fanboy in me, but I like Krystal well enough. It would be pretty easy to make a fun and unique moveset from her, drawing from Star Fox Adventures and Assault. I don't think Smash has anyone that has fire, ice, and psychic powers yet, and Palutena is the only one with a staff.

Honestly if you're not at least accepting of furries, both the people and the designs (which may or may not be innately sexual, it's not exclusively the latter) in the year of our lord 2019 then you're just behind everyone else.
Oh, I don't mind furries per se, but I reserve the right to be a little bit put off when I see horny art of animal characters.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I recently picked up a copy of Star Fox Adventures (In great condition) ,Have yet to play it, But will when I have time.

Though I am excited to play it as it's the last major Rareware game I have yet to play, I know a lot of people call it a poor man's Zelda or ripoff, But me personally I'm one of the few hardcore Nintendo fans that was never fan of the Zelda series, Link and It's characters and world, Just was never interested in it.

Though the gameplay looks similar, It's the world and characters that have me way more interested in SFA seeing how I absolutely love Dinosaurs and the design of the SharpClaw Tribe and General Scales looks badass, I also like Fox McCloud ,his voice, personality and I like foxes too and some of the cast of Star Fox characters, Plus part of it is also my Rareware bias.

It's a shame that I never gotten around to playing it during the Gamecube era, But I know that I'm really going to enjoy this one when make time for it.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i think star fox adventures is better than people give it credit for. the weakest aspect is the star fox stuff, where i think it would have been much better received as dinosaur planet.

but yeah its a zelda-style adventure game made by rare, what's not to like?

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Yeah, Dixie could be a cool character. And really, one of the last big Nintendo character missing. I'm not sure if you'd call Golden Sun or ARMS big yet, although I'm pretty sure ARMS still sold like 2 million units.

I could see her having a command grab with her hair or something, on top of flight and a regular grab.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
I know this isn't the right place to post this, but this is pretty much the only thread I post in :laugh: I always wanted to make a roster so I finally gave it a shot! And this is what I came up with (until my mind changes lol).

I wanted to fill the roster screen with every row we have right now. So it's 75 characters.

Captain Toad and Ashley were added to the Mario line. Dixie and Cranky to DK. Ganondorf is back to his Twilight Princess look and Skyward Sword Impa is added so all 3D Zelda games are represented (Young Link would also be based off of Majora's Mask). Porky and Black Shadow were added to bring in more villains. Hector since he's an axe user and Tiki since she's a recurring character in the series. Dee and Krystal got added to their respective series. Incineroar was swapped out for Blaziken and Decidueye was added.

For the one offs, Takamaru, Mike Jones, Lip, Isaac, Chibo Robo, Marshal, Dillion and Spring Man made the cut.

And for 3rd parties, I wanted to keep it to 5. So the big 3 stayed and I added Geno and Rayman.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Re: Star Fox Adventures, it isn't terrible but it also isn't very good. It certainly doesn't hold a candle to any real Zelda. A Zelda-like made by Rare and set in a world of dinosaurs sounds like a dream come true but unfortunately it just isn't.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
So, there's a Super Smash Sisters Heroine Spirit event this weekend that doesn't include Dixie....... I'm a bit mad.

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
So, there's a Super Smash Sisters Heroine Spirit event this weekend that doesn't include Dixie....... I'm a bit mad.
Same. It's yet another example of Nintendo showing to us that Dixie Kong is an after thought. It really sucks.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
No, that's not it at all. Dixie's spirit has to be summoned before it can appear on the Spirit Board. She's excluded so that people who haven't summoned her aren't able to get her early.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
No, that's not it at all. Dixie's spirit has to be summoned before it can appear on the Spirit Board. She's excluded so that people who haven't summoned her aren't able to get her early.
Yup, Dixie wasn't on the DKC event for this reason as well.

In other news, Dry Bowser has been confirmed as the final character for Mario Tennis Aces DLC, which is kind of a bummer, because I was hoping there might have been a small chance that Dixie could have been in because of the large roster for that game, and because Diddy already made it in.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I really wanted her in but since she was confirmed as an AT I lost hope for her.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I know this isn't the right place to post this, but this is pretty much the only thread I post in :laugh: I always wanted to make a roster so I finally gave it a shot! And this is what I came up with (until my mind changes lol).

I wanted to fill the roster screen with every row we have right now. So it's 75 characters.

Captain Toad and Ashley were added to the Mario line. Dixie and Cranky to DK. Ganondorf is back to his Twilight Princess look and Skyward Sword Impa is added so all 3D Zelda games are represented (Young Link would also be based off of Majora's Mask). Porky and Black Shadow were added to bring in more villains. Hector since he's an axe user and Tiki since she's a recurring character in the series. Dee and Krystal got added to their respective series. Incineroar was swapped out for Blaziken and Decidueye was added.

For the one offs, Takamaru, Mike Jones, Lip, Isaac, Chibo Robo, Marshal, Dillion and Spring Man made the cut.

And for 3rd parties, I wanted to keep it to 5. So the big 3 stayed and I added Geno and Rayman.
I see your roster and raise you one!
Of course, since this is the Dixie Kong thread I made sure to gorge up on DK characters, I may have gone a bit overboard, haha.
This is more of an absolute dream one than a realistic one, though I did make sure not to add impossible choices like Goku or Batman.
MYMENU2.png

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
your dream roster has like all of the characters i've ever wanted in smash so i like it

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I don't think this has been brought up before here or if some of you know, But in the Banjo-Kazooie thread we have heard rumors for a while that there may be a port of Rare Replay heading to Switch, It makes a ton of sense and wouldn't be too surprising since Nintendo and Microsoft seem to have a working partnership and have been collaborating on certain fronts.

I and a lot of us on the Banjo thread discussed how great it would be if they released a "Nintendo Edition" of Rare Replay that included:

- Donkey Kong Country 1-3
- Donkey Kong 64
- Diddy Kong Racing
- Star Fox Adventures

I would still buy a straight port no matter what, But adding the Donkey Kong games would absolutely make it a must have and the "Definitive Version" and would be very disappointed if they don't take this route as it would feel like a missed opportunity.

Not to mention it would be a nice way to celebrate Donkey Kong Country's 25th and Donkey Kong 64's 20th Anniversary and would be a nice consolation prize if for whatever reason they don't announce a new DK game at E3. (Which I still really hope they do)

Thoughts?

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I don't see Nintendo putting DK or Star Fox games on a Nintendo Switch Rare Replay. I feel like they would just sell their own titles individually. And bundling Nintendo properties with MSoft properties, even if they are Rare franchises who may have started on Nintendo, seems like it would just benefit Microsoft. I don't think Nintendo wants to imply DK or Star Fox have anything to do with Microsoft or Xbox.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
One of my most wanted. She got treated really poorly by the franchise in the last couple of games, she brings a new moveset to a franchise that desperately needs one, and honestly I want that thing of 'All Krystal fans are horny furries' to die.
Same here. Krystal is my 3rd most wanted character and I too wish that a lot of people would stop seeing all Krystal fans as horny furries freaks.

Pretty solid roster, I love it. :love:

I see your roster and raise you one!
Of course, since this is the Dixie Kong thread I made sure to gorge up on DK characters, I may have gone a bit overboard, haha.
This is more of an absolute dream one than a realistic one, though I did make sure not to add impossible choices like Goku or Batman. View attachment 225266
Boi, I've been playing Smash since Melee and the roster we currently have now in Ultimate looks like a pipedream roster to me. I would have never thought 17 years ago we would be getting Sonic, Megaman, Pac-Man, and all of these other 3rd party characters in Smash one day.

From my perspective now almost anyone is possible, it's just only a matter of time.

I don't see Nintendo putting DK or Star Fox games on a Nintendo Switch Rare Replay. I feel like they would just sell their own titles individually. And bundling Nintendo properties with MSoft properties, even if they are Rare franchises who may have started on Nintendo, seems like it would just benefit Microsoft. I don't think Nintendo wants to imply DK or Star Fox have anything to do with Microsoft or Xbox.
I agree, which I'm fine with. As long as we get Rare Replay on the Switch, I won't care that much if it isn't bundled with the DKC trilogy, DK64, and Star Fox Adventures.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Figured I'd share my (tentative!) roster as well:

Tentative Roster.png

Seventy-five characters total. All echoes (and some clones) have been cut, as I reasoned they were the ones people would miss the least. Some of them, like Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina, would still be around as alts.

I look forward to updating this come E3, heh.

Top Bottom