• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
So here's something weird.....I dreamt that there was a deluxe version of Smash Ultimate, with all the returning characters, and some of the new one's being Funky Kong, DK's echo, Dixie Kong, Waluigi, Banjo Kazooie, Beat from Jet Set Radio, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, and....you won't believe this....Baby Donkey Kong...
^A little unorthodox in some areas, but damn what a lineup. I'd hold someone at gunpoint for that game if it were real. (I hope it goes without saying that I jest about the last part...)

On a different note, have we ever speculated on what Dixie's voice'll be like if she ever gets announced?
I mean what could they even do really? Couldn't just reuse Diddy's stock noises, or pitch em' up for that matter. Are there stock clips of a different, possibly more feminine-sounding primate out there?

It's a definite headscratcher for me, and further reason why I personally feel Bowser & the Kongs should have their actual voices (K. Rool's voice I'm cool with, it's just one "ORGH" away from perfection.)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So here's something weird.....I dreamt that there was a deluxe version of Smash Ultimate, with all the returning characters, and some of the new one's being Funky Kong, DK's echo, Dixie Kong, Waluigi, Banjo Kazooie, Beat from Jet Set Radio, Crash Bandicoot, Rayman, and....you won't believe this....Baby Donkey Kong...
Well, it'll certainly take a while until we know whether this is precognitive or not. That last one definitely seems like something Sakurai would do.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Bombette is one of Mario partners in the original Paper Mario.
Oh! I never got into the Paper Mario games but this is good to know, thanks.

ChronoBound ChronoBound
Hey I remember you asking about Tropical Freeze a while back and I never got around to answering you. I just wanna say that personally, I love that game and it is one of my favorite Wii U titles as well as my favorite DKC. I play it to de-stress and I'm always impressed with the visuals, action, music and Kongs each time. While it is a 2D platformer, it feels like a living, breathing world with all its continuity detail not just from level to level, but from DKCR, and I find all the character designs to be charming at the minimum. Speaking of which, I enjoy all the Boss Fights in this game, which is a first for any of the DKCs I've played; even though I have a least favorite of the bunch (Island 4) I still enjoy fighting him. The Snowmads are cool both literally and figuratively.

I think it's a very well made game and each of the Kongs are fun to play as. Diddy gets upstaged by Dixie of course, but he's still alright. Making Cranky playable is great in my eyes because it shows he can talk trash and back it up, which goes a long way in improving his character; Dixie still shines despite Diddy inheriting her hover from DKC2&3 because she now double jumps and handles VERY smoothly underwater. She's basically Rayman Origins and Legends' swimming mechanics in DKC which, I have to admit is superior. And although DK needs a move of his own, he controls just as well as the others but without any platforming superpower. Playing well as him is a matter of pure skill.

There's ways to improve this formula, like having separately playable Kongs from the get-go and giving DK something to add to his gameplay, as well as changing Diddy's usage since Dixie outshines him, but the game is still excellent and in the right hands. A sequel that tops Tropical Freeze will be the best DKC, ESPECIALLY if they keep David Wise composing. His score for this game is outstanding.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

ChronoBound ChronoBound
Hey I remember you asking about Tropical Freeze a while back and I never got around to answering you. I just wanna say that personally, I love that game and it is one of my favorite Wii U titles as well as my favorite DKC. I play it to de-stress and I'm always impressed with the visuals, action, music and Kongs each time. While it is a 2D platformer, it feels like a living, breathing world with all its continuity detail not just from level to level, but from DKCR, and I find all the character designs to be charming at the minimum. Speaking of which, I enjoy all the Boss Fights in this game, which is a first for any of the DKCs I've played; even though I have a least favorite of the bunch (Island 4) I still enjoy fighting him. The Snowmads are cool both literally and figuratively.

I think it's a very well made game and each of the Kongs are fun to play as. Diddy gets upstaged by Dixie of course, but he's still alright. Making Cranky playable is great in my eyes because it shows he can talk trash and back it up, which goes a long way in improving his character; Dixie still shines despite Diddy inheriting her hover from DKC2&3 because she now double jumps and handles VERY smoothly underwater. She's basically Rayman Origins and Legends' swimming mechanics in DKC which, I have to admit is superior. And although DK needs a move of his own, he controls just as well as the others but without any platforming superpower. Playing well as him is a matter of pure skill.

There's ways to improve this formula, like having separately playable Kongs from the get-go and giving DK something to add to his gameplay, as well as changing Diddy's usage since Dixie outshines him, but the game is still excellent and in the right hands. A sequel that tops Tropical Freeze will be the best DKC, ESPECIALLY if they keep David Wise composing. His score for this game is outstanding.
As someone who's favorite genre is platformers (2D and 3D) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze may honestly be the best 2D Platformer I ever played and may the best one Nintendo has ever made.

While the New Super Mario Bros series is solid and enjoyable, Tropical Freeze is just in a league of it's own, It builds upon the foundation of DKC Returns which was also very good and better than any entry in the NSMB series ,But still needed room for improvement.

Level design is damn impressive, While the Kremlings will always be the faction of choice for long time Donkey Kong fans, The Snomads were great villans and a huge improvement over the Tiki Tak Tribe who weren't terrible ,But they weren't memorable either, They were serviceable at best ,But it felt like facing an army of wooden goombas, The Snomads Viking and Arctic theme was a great idea and reminiscent of DKC 2's Pirate theme.

David Wise did an amazing job with the soundtrack ,One of the best I have heard in a video game, There's too many tracks to list that were great from the levels and boss fights especially Pompy (Big Top Bop) and Bashmaster (Punch Bowl) those were my favorite.

And now that King K. Rool has finally return and is in the spotlight once again thanks to Smash, I really do hope that we eventually get a 3rd entry in the modern Donkey Kong Country series that brings back the Kremlings, David Wise again and (if possible) surpasses Tropical Freeze, But that's gonna be a tough act to follow, But if anyone can do it again it's Retro Studios.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One last thing about Paper Mario.

Personally, I vastly preferred Bow to Madame Flurrie.

And now that King K. Rool has finally return and is in the spotlight once again thanks to Smash, I really do hope that we eventually get a 3rd entry in the modern Donkey Kong Country series that brings back the Kremlings, David Wise again and (if possible) surpasses Tropical Freeze, But that's gonna be a tough act to follow, But if anyone can do it again it's Retro Studios.
In the meantime, TF did break into the Top 20 retail sales in Japan, which is pretty good:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...tch_retail_games_in_japan_as_of_february_2019

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
As someone who's favorite genre is platformers (2D and 3D) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze may honestly be the best 2D Platformer I ever played and may the best one Nintendo has ever made.

While the New Super Mario Bros series is solid and enjoyable, Tropical Freeze is just in a league of it's own, It builds upon the foundation of DKC Returns which was also very good and better than any entry in the NSMB series ,But still needed room for improvement.

Level design is damn impressive, While the Kremlings will always be the faction of choice for long time Donkey Kong fans, The Snomads were great villans and a huge improvement over the Tiki Tak Tribe who weren't terrible ,But they weren't memorable either, They were serviceable at best ,But it felt like facing an army of wooden goombas, The Snomads Viking and Arctic theme was a great idea and reminiscent of DKC 2's Pirate theme.

David Wise did an amazing job with the soundtrack ,One of the best I have heard in a video game, There's too many tracks to list that were great from the levels and boss fights especially Pompy (Big Top Bop) and Bashmaster (Punch Bowl) those were my favorite.

Yea I COMPLETELY agree! If Retro could give us one more DKC and top it off with K. Rool and the Kremlings, they will have made an outstanding platformer and a DKC that'd be VERY hard to beat for years.

My issue with NSMB games is that it comes off as typical. It's got things going for it but it's not Odyssey in 2D form quality-wise and it almost entirely feels generic. There's certainly less effort than what DK and Rayman have been showing--not to mention a handful of Indie games and new IPs--but it kinda gets a pass because it's Mario. I admit it's fun to play but it's not excellent.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yea I COMPLETELY agree! If Retro could give us one more DKC and top it off with K. Rool and the Kremlings, they will have made an outstanding platformer and a DKC that'd be VERY hard to beat for years.

My issue with NSMB games is that it comes off as typical. It's got things going for it but it's not Odyssey in 2D form quality-wise and it almost entirely feels generic. There's certainly less effort than what DK and Rayman have been showing--not to mention a handful of Indie games and new IPs--but it kinda gets a pass because it's Mario. I admit it's fun to play but it's not excellent.
At least they're giving that a rest for the foreseeable future, in favor of "You ****in' Make It If You're So Goddamn Smart 2", seeing as that should keep people busy enough to not need a new NSMB.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

Retro's take on the Donkey Kong Country series won't really feel complete unless they finish the trilogy with 1 final game and what better way to close it out with a grand finale of a showdown with King K.Rool and the Kremling Krew.

The NSMB games while still enjoyable and solid are still very bland and uninspired, Not hating on Mario, It's part of my (Big 3) (Pokemon/Mario/Donkey Kong )
(My all time favorite nintendo video game franchises) ,But it's kind of sad that NSMB Deluxe will outsell Tropical Freeze only because of the "Mario Branding" alone, Even though DK is still a strong IP it constantly competes and hides in Mario's shadow these days.

After DKC, Donkey Kong should be primed for his long overdue return to 3D with a new platformer and I would love to have the DK crew return as well. While I still love DK 64 it wasn't as good as Rare's other 3D platformer in Banjo-Kazooie and can definitely be improved upon and hopefully just like their DKC series, Retro becomes the developer of choice again when the time comes for a 3D Donkey Kong Platformer.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Only issue is, Retro never did any 3D platformers before. First-person shooters are one thing, but would they be able to just jump into a new type of gameplay like that when they've been in a comfort zone for so long at this point?

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
Only issue is, Retro never did any 3D platformers before. First-person shooters are one thing, but would they be able to just jump into a new type of gameplay like that when they've been in a comfort zone for so long at this point?
Donkey Kong Country Returns was a pretty big departure from the Metroid Prime Trilogy and it turned out great. Retro is a studio full of talented people, I'm sure if they wanted to do a 3D Donkey Kong game they would knock it out of the park, all of their output has been fantastic.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Donkey Kong Country Returns was a pretty big departure from the Metroid Prime Trilogy and it turned out great. Retro is a studio full of talented people, I'm sure if they wanted to do a 3D Donkey Kong game they would knock it out of the park, all of their output has been fantastic.
Well here's to hoping, besides being called in to do MP4, we don't know what they've been doing until now.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

ChronoBound ChronoBound

I really appreciate the feedback from both of you regarding Tropical Freeze. It seems the general consensus is that the game is at the very least better than DKC1 and Returns. Your feedback has made me look more into Tropical Freeze. I am still uncertain on whether I will ever get it, but you have given me further consideration for this title.

You do make some good points and I know I can't speak for everyone it's just in my eyes I feel that she has enough potential of her own or at least a Wolf/Lucas styled semi clone especially since they always reference how important her ponytail is which should be a huge part of her move set.

This place wasn't too peaceful before Isabelle was revived (many weren't too sure if they were going to make any semi clones before she came) I just want most of Dixie's fans to be happy with how she's represented as a fighter also as far as we know the dev team has stated that the new dlc characters won't be echoes which is why it's not a good idea to rely on that possiblity in my opinion, I know it's unknown if she's part of any future dlc packs but I rather not rely on any unofficial theories which could end up being false information.
I want to elaborate on the "additional echoes" scenario. There are presently three scenarios where Dixie Kong could still end up as part of the roster for Ultimate:
1. Sakurai decides to develop 2-3 additional echo fighters.
2. A second fighter pass is announced after the first one wraps up, and Dixie Kong is among it.
3. Dixie Kong is part of the current fighter pass.

The third scenario is the least likely one in my opinion, as I think all of the additional characters to the fighter pass are going to be third-party characters. As for the second one, that is an unlikely scenario (Sakurai has said the Ultimate team is going to shrink as DLC moves along), and even if a second fighter's pass were to be developed, it is very probable that Dixie will not be part of it (it could very quickly be filled by additional third-party characters, characters that are popular among the "Smash bubble". and characters that are featured prominently in contemporary Nintendo software).

Of all three of these, the first scenario, "additional echoes are made", might be the most likely one, and even that is an unlikely scenario (for it to happen as well as for Dixie Kong to be selected).

Basically, it might stem from Sakurai and his team wanting to fill out the character selection screen. Here is how it will probably look after we get the five fighters pass characters:

As can be seen there would be three empty slots for the character selection screen.

However, keep in mind that the character selection screen would only have missing slots when the three Mii Fighter slots are present.

In places where the Mii Fighters are excluded (like Smashdown), the roster becomes a nice block (with 6 rows, and 13 characters in each row, with random filling the bottom row).

Also, when the roster has echo fighters stacked (the three Mii Fighter character types also share a slot when echo fighters are stacked), the roster becomes a nice block as well, although with different dimensions (the six rows instead have only 12 characters in them).

A scenario where the roster becomes a block in almost every mode and game type (except classic mode selection) would be the development of three more echoes.

However, there are multiple considerations that would be very dire for Dixie Kong's selection as a possible echo.

One is that as can be seen, Smash 64's roster is kept to its own row entirely in every situation laid out. However, in order for it stay that way, there would need to be an additional echo fighter made for a character in that particular row. The problem is that that:
1. There are only a few candidates.
2. Funky Kong is the most viable candidate (and if Funky gets selected, Dixie will almost assuredly get passed on).

Here are the most likely candidates for an echo newcomer for first row on the roster (Smash 64 veterans):
Funky Kong (Donkey Kong)
Ninten (Ness)
Mach Rider (Captain Falcon)

That's it. Of these three, Funky Kong is easily the biggest name and most "sellable" by far. He is probably the most popular DK character after Dixie Kong and had a whole mode dedicated to him in the Tropical Freeze Switch port. He was also a playable character in Mario Kart Wii, which still remains by far the highest selling game to the Mario Kart series (37 million copies sold!).

His competition for this row (of conventional choices) consists of two characters that are very unknown even among "core" Nintendo fans, Ninten and Mach Rider. The former is a character that looks 95% similar to Ness (probably even more similar than Dark Pit is to Pit because at least those two have different hair color and default clothing colors), and from a game that was originally released 30 years ago, and only received an international release on the failed Wii U's Virtual Console. Ninten only sells to hardcore Mother fans.

The other is Mach Rider. Mach Rider is a very obscure character, with most only knowing about him/her through the Melee trophy and remix. Mach Rider might be more "sellable" than Ninten though due to having a "cool" design, but otherwise he/she might arguably be more obscure than Ninten.

That leaves Funky Kong as perhaps the "default" choice if the team wanted to keep the entire first row exclusive to Smash 64 veterans and their echoes.

The only options available aside from the three mentioned are "unorthodox" or "unknown" possibilities. One would be Metal Mario (as an echo of Mario). However, Metal Mario would drastically change Mario's weight and fall speed, two major stats that might be a bridge too far for an echo. Metal Mario has the notability for being a mid-boss in Smash 64 and being a part of Mario Kart's roster since Mario Kart 7 (as well as part of the roster of a few Mario spinoff titles like Mario Golf and Mario Sports Superstars). However, Metal Mario being added also has the problem of making the Metal Box item unusable for him.

Another unorthodox choice for an echo fighter would be none other than Bandana Dee or Waddle Dee. He is one of the biggest characters from a major core veteran Nintendo franchise that is still not part of the roster, as well as one of the few major Nintendo characters without any sort of major role in Ultimate. Waddle Dee/Bandana Dee are extremely similar in body shape and could easily perform most of Kirby's A-moves with little difficulty (there was even a mod for Smash Wii U that replaced Kirby's model with a Waddle Dee). Where the problem comes in though is the fact that Waddle Dee/Bandana Dee cannot perform Kirby's specials, Final Smash, and dash-a (where Kirby performs his "burn" attack), and the fact that Bandana Dee in particular is known for his usage of a spear.

This would mean that for Bandana Dee or Waddle Dee to work as an echo he would need a new set of specials and Final Smash (and possibly a new dash attack). This would make Bandana Dee or Waddle Dee an inverse of Wolf and Lucas, where their A-moves and throws are all different but they share similar specials and Final Smash with Fox and Ness. Chrom has given the precedent of having a different special and Final Smash, and Ken has given the precedent of an unique Final Smash, unique command inputs, multiple different a-moves, and even different running/walking speed.

Could Dee (Bandana and/or Waddle) have different specials and a Final Smash still make him be considered an echo assuming he kept all of Kirby's stats and the rest of his moveset? Keep in mind, Sakurai's ultimate reasoning for why Ken was still considered an echo despite all of his differences was literally " because "I say so". Dee having five or six different moves but keeping everything else the same (speed, weight, nearly all a-moves, fall speed, etc.) would be a very interesting character case.

Some rough ideas for Bandana Dee's specials could be:
Neutral: Spear thrust (basically takes Kirby's copied Marth/Lucina special, only Dee does it with his spear)
Up: Copter twirl (does the copter twirl with his spear)
Down: Moondrop (basically acts like Yoshi's down special where Dee leaps into the hair, and thrusts down with his spear)
Side: Spear throw (basically operates like Kirby's copied ability for the Links' arrows, with how far its thrown being based on how long it is charged)

However, this is a very unorthodox idea, and I am not optimistic Sakurai and his team will even consider it to begin with (let alone the viability of it) even if Sakurai and his team were to greenlight additional echoes. However, the possibility of getting one of the biggest Nintendo characters left onto the roster is very exciting to say the least.

The third unorthodox idea is an "unknown". Typically in every Pokemon generation a Pikachu clone is included (basically a cute electric rodent or mouse-like Pokemon), however, most of them have a different body type from Pikachu even if they have some facial similarities (such as the red cheeks). It is possible that Pokemon Sword/Shield introduces a Pikachu derivative that could easily be made into an echo fighter of Pikachu. If it does happen (that this hypothetical Pikachu derivative is included), it will be because Game Freak or the Pokemon Company commissioned it to Sakurai and his team.

If an additional echo is not made for the Smash 64 row in the situation where three additional echoes are made, then Peach would be pulled up to the first row, leaving Daisy no longer alongside her original, which might possibly be aesthetically unpleasing to many. On that note this leads to another problem leading to Dixie Kong in the scenario of additional echoes being made.

If you look at the rest of the above "complete" roster, the echoes are alongside their original counterparts on the final roster. However, if two echoes were added from after Daisy to before Simon, Richter would be pushed to a the bottom-most row (the one with all of the Fighters Pass newcomers).

That would mean that if not messing with roster aesthetics is a consideration for echo selection, Dixie Kong basically would have to compete with almost the entire roster for a slot. It would basically mean:
- Impa
- Shadow (assuming he is still in the running even with an Assist Trophy role)
- Alph (assuming he might be promoted to having his own slot)
- Jeanne
- Octoling

would all have to fight for a single slot. There is a strong case to be made for all of these characters, and in general they are the strongest additional echo candidates in general. When combined with the fact that Funky Kong is the most attractive candidate for an echo newcomer for the first row, things are very dire for Dixie Kong to be selected. As I said multiple times before, Dixie Kong even being selected as an echo fighter for Ultimate would be among the greatest roster inclusion miracles, and what I outlined just shows some of the obstacles facing Dixie Kong even if additional echoes for Ultimate are to happen.

However, there is one silver lining. If Dixie Kong were to get the "middle" echo slot, it would basically be because of the fact that she is one of the biggest Nintendo names left not on the roster, and because Sakurai and/or his team thought she needs to be on the roster. If Dixie Kong gets in as a newcomer, it will be due to her "starpower" as a Nintendo character. That might be the only advantage she has. However, this advantage would also likely bestow upon her a level of difference on par with Ken, and possibly exceeding him. Dixie Kong would likely possess more than just an unique recovery and Final Smash if included under this scenario. That is the silver lining for Dixie Kong if she made it in as an echo under this scenario. However, this is a very big if. The other candidates outlined above have very strong attributes in their favor as well.

As with the Smash 64 row, the bottom row, which would begin with K. Rool if Richter is not allowed to not be on a different row than Simon, has a dearth of decent echo fighter candidates. Of the characters known about for this row, none seem to have a popular or well-known characters that could be made into an echo fighter for them. Any decent candidates for an echo fighter would thus have to come from one of unannounced Fighters Pass characters.

One unorthodox choice for this row though would be the development of a fourth Mii Fighter type. My personal suggestion would be "wizard/magician" basically a fighter based off of the specials and a-moves that characters like Ness, Lucas, Zelda, Mewtwo, and Robin possess. An additional Mii Fighter would also be able to join the combined Mii Fighter icon when the roster is selected to the "stacked" option.

Again, as with Bandana Dee as a Kirby echo, I am not optimistic that this idea will even come to Sakurai and his team, but if it does (the Mii Magician) it does open the doors for lots of interesting DLC Mii costumes (namely costumes of the classic classes from the Final Fantasy series, characters from the Mother series, popular mages from Fire Emblem, etc.).

Also, unlike the echoes, a wholly original character (even a Mii) would take quite a bit of time, especially when possessing a multitude of specials. This is a pretty unlikely idea overall even if it were to hypothetically come up in discussion among Sakurai and his team.

That basically concludes my assessment of the possible situation of if additional echoes were to happen as DLC for Ultimate. As can be seen, even if this situation were to happen, Dixie Kong faces an extremely uphill battle. However, if she is somehow greenlit, she will probably end up being the most unique echo on the roster alongside Ken (and possibly even more unique than Ken).

Attachments

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
ChronoBound ChronoBound you're referring to a roster but it isn't showing up for me. You may want to edit your post.

Edit: alright I can see it now, but it doesn't seem to be embedded after this paragraph:

Basically, it might stem from Sakurai and his team wanting to fill out the character selection screen. Here is how it will probably look after we get the five fighters pass characters:
which seems to be your intention.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
ChronoBound ChronoBound no offense but I kinda feel we should drop the subject about the whole clone situation, I've honestly feeling guilty about posting the same thing multiple times about it. I don't expect anyone else after the final five dlc characters (I feel like Sakurai and the devs need a break after that) if Dixie isn't part of the pack I'll live on but I'll still continue to support her for the sake of her future.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
I'd just like to remind everyone that this year is Donkey Kong Country's 25th anniversary. I know Nintendo hasn't always treated the series the best, but after K. Rool in Smash and Tropical Freeze on Switch's success, I think there's a decent chance that we might actually get a new game sooner than we may think. What better way to advertise said new game than adding Dixie into Smash? Regardless of what happens, DKC deserves to be celebrated.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
ChronoBound ChronoBound no offense but I kinda feel we should drop the subject about the whole clone situation, I've honestly feeling guilty about posting the same thing multiple times about it. I don't expect anyone else after the final five dlc characters (I feel like Sakurai and the devs need a break after that) if Dixie isn't part of the pack I'll live on but I'll still continue to support her for the sake of her future.
>"I'll do as much for this game as possible!"
>stops after 5 DLC characters
Those two things are not compatible. Besides, I could see a Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker situation happen, especially since at least one analyst predicted that the Switch may have a 7-year cycle.

That aside, never stop supporting Dixie vocally, even when nobody's been announced yet. :ultkrool:'s shoes are huge ones to fill.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Those two things are not compatible. Besides, I could see a Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker situation happen, especially since at least one analyst predicted that the Switch may have a 7-year cycle.

That aside, never stop supporting Dixie vocally, even when nobody's been announced yet. :ultkrool:'s shoes are huge ones to fill.
I never said I would stop supporting(I'll still continue to support her for the sake of her future) is what I said also I'm not expecting after the five dlc characters. The roster is so massive as it is, any more than 82 might be kinda overwhelming.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

What if the time needed for developing those 5 characters is as much as possible? Because appearently, it will take almost a year, they can't keep supporting the game forever.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I never said I would stop supporting I'm just said not expecting after the five dlc characters. The roster is so massive as it is, any more than 80 might be kinda overwhelming.
Just encouragement, is all.

Well think about it this way: now they don't need to make three dozen characters at the same time until further notice, so that provides enough relief as it is. Compared to that, only a handful of characters at a time is super-manageable. Staff just needs to avoid more accidents like the recent food poisoning, and it should be peachy-keen.

Besides, new content can come at any time for any game, even when no one expects it.

reggie_fils_aime_5568.0.jpg

What if the time needed for developing those 5 characters is as much as possible? Because appearently, it will take almost a year, they can't keep supporting the game forever.
I'd expect a second wave at most. Though I could see them take a 1-year break.

Honestly, I'm worried about the fanbase exploding if none of the remaining pass characters are the ones they actually wanted.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I'd just like to remind everyone that this year is Donkey Kong Country's 25th anniversary. I know Nintendo hasn't always treated the series the best, but after K. Rool in Smash and Tropical Freeze on Switch's success, I think there's a decent chance that we might actually get a new game sooner than we may think. What better way to advertise said new game than adding Dixie into Smash? Regardless of what happens, DKC deserves to be celebrated.
Don't forget Donkey Kong's 64 20th Anniversary which is in the same month of November as well as DKC, It seems like the time is ripe for a new entry in the Country series or possibly a sequel or reboot of DK 64/3D Platformer which is long overdue.

I love both and would be happy with either one, But the Country series is what revived and made what the Donkey Kong franchise is today so I would prioritize a 3rd entry reestablishing King K. Rool and the Kremlings and to have some closure on the modern Country trilogy for the time being and just like the banana the time would be ripe for a big 3D Donkey Kong Platformer afterwards.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Just encouragement, is all.

Well think about it this way: now they don't need to make three dozen characters at the same time until further notice, so that provides enough relief as it is. Compared to that, only a handful of characters at a time is super-manageable. Staff just needs to avoid more accidents like the recent food poisoning, and it should be peachy-keen.

Besides, new content can come at any time for any game, even when no one expects it.

I'd expect a second wave at most. Though I could see them take a 1-year break.

Honestly, I'm worried about the fanbase exploding if none of the remaining pass characters are the ones they actually wanted.
The fan base will explode anyway, that's unavoidable since it's impossible to please everyone. More characters certainly won't hurt but I just don't think they need to go overboard.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I hope we get DKCR3 with the Kremlings or a remake of the SNES trilogy for DKC's 25th anniversary. Also, if Dixie is ever DLC, I would feel like the roster would finally be complete and I wouldn't even be that upset if Banjo & Kazooie doesn't make it in if she does. Of course, I want Banjo & Kazooie more, but I will gladly take Dixie without the bear and bird if that does become a reality.

:ultkrool:'s shoes are huge ones to fill.
Who says she has to fill in K. Rool's shoes? She is just as iconic and important as him and she doesn't need to prove anything else to prove her self worthy of getting in the roster. Because, she just like K. Rool was worthy and deserving enough a long time ago.

Kirby means for keep on supporting Dixie for Smash entirely, not just Ultimate.

The fan base will explode anyway, that's unavoidable since it's impossible to please everyone. More characters certainly won't hurt but I just don't think they need to go overboard.
I agree, I think over 80 is enough. Hell, I think the base roster was enough to be honest.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I elaborated as much as I did because I do not think ever elaborated on the hypothetical of additional echoes happening.

Personally, as I already said I see it as unlikely. there would probably have been hints in the game's coding about it just like how their are tidbits about Homerun Contest, Stage Builder, Joker, and "Brave" if it was going to probably happen.

I also wanted to elaborate just how Dixie Kong would fare under such a scenario and why I made cryptic comments such as "honestly I think Funky Kong is much more likely at this point."

Dixie Kong is 90% likely NOT going to be DLC for Ultimate, and even if the "2-3 DLC echoes" scenario were to happen, I think her prospects still would not be high. It would be a flat out miracle in just any sort of circumstance she were to end up being a part of Ultimate's roster. However, if she did make it in as an "echo fighter" for Ultimate's DLC, I personally think she would end up being probably the most unique echo on the roster and be implemented in a way in which 95% of Dixie fans would be satsified with how she is implemented.

My personal expectation is that the four remaining Fighters Pass characters after Joker will be all that remains for Ultimate's roster. It would leave Ultimate's roster at a nice round 80 (since Sakurai usually counts Pokemon Trainer as a single fighter), and something Sakurai would probably feel would have a nice ring to it.

I still hope and dream that Dixie Kong will somehow be a part of Ultimate's fantastic roster, even though I know her prognostics for being DLC are dire. I never would have dreamed a year ago that the next Smash Bros. title would have given us every single veteran coming in the history of the series coming back, Ridley, K. Rool, and Simon Belmont. Ultimate's roster was something I would have deemed very unlikely to happen if I was shown the roster (even sans Piranha Plant) a year ago.

Dixie Kong is all that remains for Nintendo characters that were dear to me from childhood. I do not want to stick around for another character support cycle just for her (nor do I even feel like it), which is why I am making the Dixie Kong support essay. Ultimate fulfilled the one character desire that I had the most (Ridley) ever since I became a Smash Bros. fan which was also one I thought was likely never going to happen after Smash 4. I feel satisfied with how the roster is at this point, and I feel that going forward for the series I will probably end up losing more characters that I personally care about than gaining, so Ultimate makes a nice farewell act for very long time fans such as myself. I still personally wish Dixie Kong had also made the roster for Smash Bros. at some point, but as I said before, you can never get every single thing you asked for in life (I was extraordinarily blessed just to get 95% of what I wanted).

The fight for Dixie Kong will likely have to be put into the hands of a new generation of fans. We need to sell younger Nintendo fans just on what an icon and endearing heroine Dixie exactly is, and why even though they missed out on supporting some of Nintendo biggest all-stars, that they should at least smile at the fact that one of the biggest is still there to champion should they so choose.

On a different note, have we ever speculated on what Dixie's voice'll be like if she ever gets announced?
I mean what could they even do really? Couldn't just reuse Diddy's stock noises, or pitch em' up for that matter. Are there stock clips of a different, possibly more feminine-sounding primate out there?
This is actually a very interesting topic to contemplate. Personally, from what I heard, Dixie's Tropical Freeze voice is very endearing and I personally would prefer that over re-using Diddy's voice or pitching it higher as you said. However, regardless of the voice chosen, I would just like to see Dixie Kong be a part of the roster.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Let's just look at it this way:

If Dixie somehow miraculously gets in as a DLC Echo, she's finally in the game.
If Dixie doesn't get in as a DLC Echo, good, because she deserves more than a clone moveset.
If Dixie has to wait until the next Smash game, she'll have a shot of debuting the proper way instead of being paid DLC.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I still personally wish Dixie Kong had also made the roster for Smash Bros. at some point, but as I said before, you can never get every single thing you asked for in life (I was extraordinarily blessed just to get 95% of what I wanted).
In Melee I wanted Mewtwo, K. Rool, and Ridley and I got Mewtwo, but not the other two. During Brawl I wanted K. Rool, Ridley, and Meta Knight and I got Meta Knight and again, not the other two. During Smash 4 I wanted K. Rool, Ridley, Goemon, Banjo & Kazooie, Krystal, Dixie, Porky, and Pig Ganon and I didn't get any of them. During Ultimate I finally got K. Rool and Ridley after 17 long years for waiting for their inclusion. I lost Krystal to the Assist graveyard and I lost Pig Ganon to the boss graveyard, but I still don't know Goemon, Banjo & Kazooie, Dixie, and Porky's fates. I am almost as satisfied with the roster as you, but if I at least got one more of my wants, I wouldn't mind never seeing the others get in because I know my dream will never be a reality, but I would take that like it's real if I got half of them.

If Dixie has to wait until the next Smash game, she'll have a shot of debuting the proper way instead of being paid DLC.
Speaking of which, how do you imagine how her reveal trailer would play out?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Speaking of which, how do you imagine how her reveal trailer would play out?
I'd really like a trailer referencing DKC2. Maybe it could take place on a ship where K. Rool has DK tied up and Diddy is in a losing battle against a swarm of Kremlings. Then you see the dark silhouette of Dixie against the ship's sails before she jumps through and blows away K. Rool and his crew by whipping them with her hair and shredding away on her guitar.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice

So, PapaGenos made a video going over some datamined content in the game that seems to leave room for more characters being added beyond the first fighter pass. Of course this could still mean nothing as he points out, but if this did mean another fighter pass is coming, surely Dixie would be much more likely right?

DX_E

Smash Apprentice

So, PapaGenos made a video going over some datamined content in the game that seems to leave room for more characters being added beyond the first fighter pass. Of course this could still mean nothing as he points out, but if this did mean another fighter pass is coming, surely Dixie would be much more likely right?
It would certainly increase her chances. Can you imagine if all 30 slots were filled up?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Of course this could still mean nothing as he points out, but if this did mean another fighter pass is coming, surely Dixie would be much more likely right?
Of course she would be more likely, but still not guaranteed.
It would certainly increase her chances. Can you imagine if all 30 slots were filled up?
I'm 100% percent positive that if those 30 slots were to be filled up, Dixie would have to be one of them without question.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Somethin' tells me other Fighter Passes might be something more easier to implement to the game, such as more Echoes in style of Daisy or Richter. No way they'd want to work on adding even more unique fighters with the team disbanding slowly during Ultimate's DLC development.

Also... hello ya'll? I haven't been much here since last year, I think.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Back with another set. Winky's making a comeback and he's bringing Quawks along with him!

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

To add to SeashoreWar's post, here's some cool "what if" material I didn't know about.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
more than anything i appreciate the official miyamoto doodle of dixie

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Back with another set. Winky's making a comeback and he's bringing Quawks along with him!

That's so good. There's honestly so much potential in the DKC series characters. They really need to go hard with them in the next game instead of like sparingly using them for some reason. Same with the Mario spinoffs.

I get that there's gameplay considerations and stuff, not even Yoshi makes it to every mario game, but they definitely are way too conservative with DKC stuff.

Still waiting for Cranky to get his "New Donk" moment like Pauline!

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Allll righty, well, that's two amazing things posted in this thread since I've last checked. SeashoreWar SeashoreWar , eventually we're gonna have to compile all of your Mario Kart fanart and make an album or something. It's getting hard to keep track of everything, and I couldn't be happier about it.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

To add to SeashoreWar's post, here's some cool "what if" material I didn't know about.
Wow I had no idea Miyamoto had any sort of hand in Dixie's design/creation. That's kinda awesome! So apparently Miyamoto has some love/affinity for the character. Since to me it always came off as Miyamoto (and Nintendo as a whole) doesnt care about any of the DKC cast besides Donkey and Diddy.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i feel like with the japanese side of nintendo, their reluctance to utilize the dkc franchise and elements from it isn't so much that they don't care, but more that its not really in their comfort zone; most of the dkc series's identity was created by rare, a different development studio from a different part of the world with a different culture. could be they just aren't confident in their ability to do the series justice in that regard.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
i feel like with the japanese side of nintendo, their reluctance to utilize the dkc franchise and elements from it isn't so much that they don't care, but more that its not really in their comfort zone; most of the dkc series's identity was created by rare, a different development studio from a different part of the world with a different culture. could be they just aren't confident in their ability to do the series justice in that regard.
Probably explains why only western developers (Rareware/British, Retro Studios/American) have only been able to do justice for the franchise, If you look back at the entire history of the franchise (Post-Arcade) Only the Country series and DK 64 were successful.

That's why the "Buyout" pissed me off, Not just because Nintendo lost the rights to all of Rare's IP's like Banjo-Kazooie, But also how little consideration they had for the Donkey Kong franchise when they decided to pass on locking up the studio that's responsible for reviving and making it the powerhouse it was at the time during the mid to late 90's and it's identity today.

The future looked bright for DK when we were entering the Gamecube era back in 2001, Donkey Kong Racing was on the horizon and a sequel to Donkey Kong 64 was likely in the works, After the buyout Nintendo had no idea what to to do with the franchise and chained it with unsuccessful gimmicky titles/spinoffs (Donkey Konga and Jungle Beat) for nearly a decade until 2010 When Retro Studios was able to revive the IP with their own successful take on the Country series.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Probably explains why only western developers (Rareware/British, Retro Studios/American) have only been able to do justice for the franchise, If you look back at the entire history of the franchise (Post-Arcade) Only the Country series and DK 64 were successful.

That's why the "Buyout" pissed me off, It's not only that Nintendo lost the rights to all of Rare's IP's like Banjo-Kazooie, But how little consideration they had for the Donkey Kong franchise when they decided to pass on locking up the studio that's responsible for reviving and making it the powerhouse it was at time during the mid to late 90's and it's identity today.

The future looked bright for DK when we were entering the Gamecube era back in 2001, Donkey Kong Racing was on the horizon and a sequel to Donkey Kong 64 was likely in the works, After the buyout Nintendo had no idea what to to do with the franchise and chained it with unsuccessful gimmicky titles/spinoffs (Donkey Konga and Jungle Beat) for nearly a decade until Retro Studios was able to revive the IP with their own successful take on the Country series.
Perhaps this might explain why K.Rool was more or less absentee on Smash-series, among the rather overly generalized portrayal DK-series got from Sakurai, Pre-Ultimate. With how DK-series had their presence and momentum in Nintendo's library halted (especially after sat bit of a flopful DK64) after the original spirit in the series was gone with Rare, might have reflected on the vision of the series then.

It makes it all the more bittersweet how the Ballot had to be the best chance for the Krock King to be in, to even allow DK-series to establish itself more than meme fodder on the internet outside of hardcore communities like DK Vine.

That buyout really stings even to this day - especially if Steve's gonna be Microsoft's choice for repping them over Banjo & Kazooie.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
anyone ever heard someone call dixie "Trixie Kong"? i thought maybe it was a localization name change but as far as i can tell its just a common misconception seemingly born out of thin air

maybe that was her name in the bearenstein universe?

Top Bottom