• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Yeah, but these guys are all veterans, which isn't that much of a hassle to bring in here compared to newcomers.

Though you still make a fair point otherwise.
I mean, Dixie Kong would've been pretty easy to implement compared to K. Rool, Piranha Plant, and even Mewtwo in that her model could be easily built off of Diddy's. (That's part of the reason Jigglypuff was chosen over so many other Pokemon for the first game and Wolf was chosen over Krystal in Brawl.) I'd imagine her and Toon Zelda, while not necessarily complete echoes, would at least have something going for them in terms of development difficulty.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
As you said yourself, Plusle and Minun aren't gonna happen anyway. Same with Toon Zelda and Tetra, ever since Zelda got that Phantom Down B. They seemed like situational picks, because of what was trending in gaming at that given moment. Much like Sakurai's comments about adding Robin, if Awakening wasn't as huge at that time, or characters got decided later, Robin wouldn't have made it. I guess same would go for Sheik in Melee and Jigglypuff in 64.

Dixie still stands out on her own amongst the Forbidden 7.
I do think that Toon Zelda and Tetra would be much higher on the probability list (at least prior to the DLC) given that they are easy clones to do and are far more relevant in their series than Plusle and Minun, especially when Pokemon newcomers are pretty much always from the current gen. This isn't to say they're on Dixie's level, but they are far closer to Dixie compared to Plusle and Minun (which were actually only inferred to be in the Brawl files, not actually confirmed, since they were by far the most unclear names found in Brawl's data files and aren't nearly as obvious as the others names, meaning they might not have even been considered at all).

And to be honest, a net gain of four characters from Smash 4 to Ultimate for Pokemon is more than enough for me. Give more reps to series that could actually use them, if there are any 1st party DLC picks left. At least Zelda sorely needs newcomers, and that's reason enough for me to put Toon Zelda/Tetra at least on the radar for now.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Odds are we could get someone from Yoshi or Metroid, since those have games coming for them at the moment.
Who they could choose for Yoshi? Kamek could work though I wonder if they would be ok with that since he's already a stage hazard for NSMBU stage, Poochy I don't see happening but then again there's the Piranha Plant so it could happen unexpectedly.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
About 50-70%. The more quiet Retro are about their current activities, the later we'll hear about an announcement for a new DKC. And we still don't know if the Star Fox Grand Prix rumor is true or not.
Is there any reason to believe they are working on DKC? Or I am misreading or misinterpreting your post?
Odds are we could get someone from Yoshi or Metroid, since those have games coming for them at the moment. Otherwise, no way to tell who they'd pick, although I bet there will be at least one curveball.
Odds are we get five third party DLCs if anything lol

Or four third parties and another Fire Emblem person.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Who they could choose for Yoshi? Kamek could work though I wonder if they would be ok with that since he's already a stage hazard for NSMBU stage, Poochy I don't see happening but then again there's the Piranha Plant so it could happen unexpectedly.
Poochy is more likely, yes, seeing as he's been more prominent in Yoshi's promotional material as of late.

Nothing but conjecture overall right now, seeing as there's no damn Direct at all this month so far.

Is there any reason to believe they are working on DKC? Or I am misreading or misinterpreting your post?

Odds are we get five third party DLCs if anything lol

Or four third parties and another Fire Emblem person.
We don't know what's going to happen. Four or five would be too expensive, since everyone would want a share of the profit. And even Sakurai recognizes that pissing off 85% of the planet with a FE DLC character for the second time would be unwise, though Three Houses doesn't come out until the butt end of this year anyway.

We have nothing to go on from but Retro's past history, so it stands to reason they must be making a DKC game right now.

StormC

Smash Hero
I don’t think there’s any reason to believe 4-5 DLC characters would be too much to be profitable, considering Smash 4 had three third party DLCs and Ultimate DLC will sell much better than that game.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Odds are we could get someone from Yoshi or Metroid, since those have games coming for them at the moment. Otherwise, no way to tell who they'd pick, although I bet there will be at least one curveball.
I mean, Metroid already has 2 newcomers so I feel like the series really doesn't need any more for this game. As for Yoshi, I feel like that series is far less separated from Mario compared to Warioware or Donkey Kong in that Yoshi regularly appears in main series Mario games and Baby Mario regularly has big roles in Yoshi games, so Kamek or the like would just feel like another Mario character, which we again don't need after Piranha Plant.

I think 1st party franchises that actually could use more reps would be DK, Zelda, Xenoblade, and maybe Kirby, or unrepped ones like Rhythm Heaven, Golden Sun or Advance Wars, whereas Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Metroid have enough as is.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I mean, Metroid already has 2 newcomers so I feel like the series really doesn't need any more for this game. As for Yoshi, I feel like that series is far less separated from Mario compared to Warioware or Donkey Kong in that Yoshi regularly appears in main series Mario games and Baby Mario regularly has big roles in Yoshi games, so Kamek or the like would just feel like another Mario character, which we again don't need after Piranha Plant.

I think 1st party franchises that actually could use more reps would be DK, Kirby, Zelda, Xenoblade, or unrepped ones like Rhythm Heaven, whereas
Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and Metroid have enough as is.
Yeah, I think Kirby might be getting at least one new person, assuming that Nintendo persuaded Sakurai to allow that.

At any rate though, we can only wait and see what their call on first-party DLC is.

I don’t think there’s any reason to believe 4-5 DLC characters would be too much to be profitable, considering Smash 4 had three third party DLCs and Ultimate DLC will sell much better than that game.
At that point, the best chance for first parties as DLC is if they get standalone DLC outside of the pass later on, so long as their series is already firmly established in Smash.

Reila

We don't know what's going to happen. Four or five would be too expensive, since everyone would want a share of the profit. And even Sakurai recognizes that pissing off 85% of the planet with a FE DLC character for the second time would be unwise, though Three Houses doesn't come out until the butt end of this year anyway.

We have nothing to go on from but Retro's past history, so it stands to reason they must be making a DKC game right now.
No one knows who the DLCs will be, aside from the people working on them, so yeah. I am a pessimist and the Smash 4 DLC, Ryu aside, makes me feel very cautious about having expectations. Time will tell. I will be thrilled if Dixie is a DLC, even more because I don't expect her at all anymore.

As for the Retro Studios thing, they worked twice on DKC, but that doesn't really mean they are working on a new one. I suppose a good argument supporting a third DKC by Retro is that they made three Metroid Prime games before moving on, so there is that.

(I still think Kirby is perfectly represented with the main trio).

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yo, look at the positive side? :4mewtwo::4feroy::4drmario: all happened in the end. And those where part of the Forbidden Seven as well.
Mewtwo, Roy, and Dr. Mario were Melee veterans while Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda/Tetra, and Plusle & Minun were not. You can't really compare scrapped characters to cut veterans because veterans always have a second chance.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
So guys, how likely do you think it is that a new DKC game will get announced this year?
A new title on the Switch would really bolster our chances for a new DLC character.
I think it's pretty likely. Nintendo's been showing the series focus in one way or another since Mario Odyssey was announced. They're keeping it in the public eye.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
I factor in the Donkey Kong references in Odyssey, Tropical Freeze's rerelease complete with nose job, the Donkey Kong portions of Universal's Super Nintendo Land and DK in Rabbids X Mario to give me the impression that yes, the next big Donkey Kong game is in the works. Like Birthnote said Nintendo is trying to keep the brand in the public eye.

I want a 3D platformer so bad. DK, Diddy, Dixie are mandatory, tons of animal buddies that give lots of traversal and gameplay options with some sort of co-op.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I factor in the Donkey Kong references in Odyssey, Tropical Freeze's rerelease complete with nose job, the Donkey Kong portions of Universal's Super Nintendo Land and DK in Rabbids X Mario to give me the impression that yes, the next big Donkey Kong game is in the works. Like Birthnote said Nintendo is trying to keep the brand in the public eye.

I want a 3D platformer so bad. DK, Diddy, Dixie are mandatory, tons of animal buddies that give lots of traversal and gameplay options with some sort of co-op.
Besides animal buddies, I have a hunch they might want to top the amount of playable Kongs compared to the previous game. Sure, they could stick with just the quintet of DK/Diddy/Dixie/Cranky/Funky, but that would be a little too safe.

Last edited:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
There are only three things I need to keep me happy if another game gets made by Retro Studios:
1. David Wise
2. Animal buddies
3. Kremlings

Reila

Still disappointed Lord Fredrik (?) wasn't K. Rool in disguise in Tropical Freeze. Anyways, a new DKC would be great, but I am not confident Retro Studios is working on a new one.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Say, I've been meaning to ask... is Playtonic just not in the cards of making a new DK game? I don't see anyone ever bring them up as a possible DK dev team. Not hating on Retro or anything...

StormC

Smash Hero
Say, I've been meaning to ask... is Playtonic just not in the cards of making a new DK game? I don't see anyone ever bring them up as a possible DK dev team. Not hating on Retro or anything...
I don't think most people were impressed enough by Yooka-Laylee for that to be on the table.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think most people were impressed enough by Yooka-Laylee for that to be on the table.
That, and they were barely able to even make YL as it is with the KS budget they had, so they'd need at least twice the amount.

Still disappointed Lord Fredrik (?) wasn't K. Rool in disguise in Tropical Freeze. Anyways, a new DKC would be great, but I am not confident Retro Studios is working on a new one.
Well at any rate Retro has to be doing something right now. Even if it's just that Star Fox thing that's rumoured. Some details from them would be nice by now.

Last edited:

Reila

Of course they are working on something. I am just not going to assume it is DKC until it is announced, if it is announced.

As for more Kongs in Smash, I would dig Funky as DK echo fighter. That is pretty much it, I don't think we will be getting many newcomers when we get a new Smash, so I doubt we will get that many Kongs in the future (Just gives us Dixie please). The roster is freaking massive already.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
People like to doom and gloom their state of affairs, but Yooka Laylee did manage to get a million players worldwide. https://twitter.com/PlaytonicGames/status/1065621116658614273

Not to mention Steve Mayles, father of our very own last Nintendo all-star, resides there. Having said that, they might not be in Nintendo's interest right now considering the divisive reception of YL. I think they still got it with a little rust here and there, but others think differently. I genuinely hope their next game can knock it out of the park.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Premium
Honestly, I'm kinda sad Dixie never made it into Brawl now, because if she had we'd live in a world where the Donkey Kong franchise is perfectly represented in Smash. Not that I'm not happy that my most wanted first party character outside of the Inklings made it in, it's just, it'd be nice to have Diddy & Dixie as a duo in Ultimate. Alas, no point in thinking about what could have been, I suppose.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Honestly, I'm kinda sad Dixie never made it into Brawl now, because if she had we'd live in a world where the Donkey Kong franchise is perfectly represented in Smash. Not that I'm not happy that my most wanted first party character outside of the Inklings made it in, it's just, it'd be nice to have Diddy & Dixie as a duo in Ultimate. Alas, no point in thinking about what could have been, I suppose.
As much as I want Dixie myself, I personally would prefer Diddy and Dixie to be separate fighters since I believe they have enough combative abilities for their own move sets plus the duo system would have been problematic for the 3DS considering what happened to Ice Climbers.

Not to mention I absolutely adore Diddy's solo move set, I don't feel like it would be the same if Dixie had to be stuck with him.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
DK, Diddy/Dixie, and King K. Rool is worse than DK, Diddy, and King K. Rool. Diddy deserves better than being tied down to another character. Dixie too.

osby

Smash Obsessed
DK, Diddy/Dixie, and King K. Rool is worse than DK, Diddy, and King K. Rool. Diddy deserves better than being tied down to another character. Dixie too.
Teaming up in battle might be an advantage, though, just look at Pokemon Trainer. Also, personally, I'd take over Dixie Kong as a part of a team over "she might maybe sometime can get in as her own fighter in the unforeseeable future", but that's just me.

That being said, Diddy's moveset now works very well with all of his specials, I can't think of replacing one.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
This is quite an old report now, but DKCTF was included in the top 10 selling Switch games of all time:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ng_nintendo_switch_games_as_of_september_2018

Smash Bros and Let's Go P/E have probably changed that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tropical Freeze had hit 2 million units sold now. This is pretty amazing for a port of a game that most hardcore Nintendo fans had already bought on WiiU 4 years ago!

It'd be silly for NIntendo not to capitalize on its success and suddenly shift their focus to more niche games like Luigi's Mansion 3. I'm really positive a sequel is in the works!

Last edited:

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
I just hope Dix gets in Smash eventually, she fits in so well and it’s dumb enough we’re living in a world where characters like :ultdoc::ultwiifittrainer::ultpiranha::ultdarkpit::ultcorrin:etc are added in Smash before characters like her, Dee & Wah.

She’s one of the characters who practically has an already build in moveset that needs to implemented in Smash with DKC 2/3 and TF used as references.

Last edited:
This is quite an old report now, but DKCTF was included in the top 10 selling Switch games of all time:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ng_nintendo_switch_games_as_of_september_2018

Smash Bros and Let's Go P/E have probably changed that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Tropical Freeze had hit 2 million units sold now. This is pretty amazing for a port of a game that most hardcore Nintendo fans had already bought on WiiU 4 years ago!
Its great to see Tropical Freeze receive more acclaim and plaudits due to the Switch port.

One of the best modern platformers ever and a top 2 DKC game for mine. A damn fine game, would've been a crime for it to just be cast aside and forgotten by being stuck on just the Wii U.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Teaming up in battle might be an advantage, though, just look at Pokemon Trainer. Also, personally, I'd take over Dixie Kong as a part of a team over "she might maybe sometime can get in as her own fighter in the unforeseeable future", but that's just me.

That being said, Diddy's moveset now works very well with all of his specials, I can't think of replacing one.
Wishing for Diddy and Dixie to be a tag team duo in Smash would be like wishing for Mario and Luigi to be a tag team duo if Brawl was the first game. More people including myself want Dixie or any other iconic/popular characters to be separate and alone.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Wishing for Diddy and Dixie to be a tag team duo in Smash would be like wishing for Mario and Luigi to be a tag team duo if Brawl was the first game. More people including myself want Dixie or any other iconic/popular characters to be separate and alone.
I love Dixie, but I wouldn't compare her with Luigi, tbh, he had no problem getting into Smash in the first place.

osby

Smash Obsessed
All I'm saying is Dixie is a important/iconic/popular character and deserves to be on her own in the roster.
I don't get how being tied to another fighter via gameplay says anything about a character's importance/iconicness/popularity. It's not like she'd work like Pikmin or Luma.

Plus, both Zelda and Samus were part of another fighter in Brawl (granted, the other fighters was the same character, but still).

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I just hope Dix gets in Smash eventually, she fits in so well and it’s dumb enough we’re living in a world where characters like :ultdoc::ultwiifittrainer::ultpiranha::ultdarkpit::ultcorrin:etc are added in Smash before characters like her, Dee & Wah.
Well two of those were super easy clones meant to pad out the roster. Wii Fit Trainer comes from one of Nintendo's most successful games of all time. Corrin was used to promote a new game. And Piranha Plant... I honestly don't know why he was chosen.

Either way, most of those guys got in out of pure luck. Dixie has just been unlucky to not have had a game released at the right time. I also somewhat blame "Everyone is Here" for her not making it. More priority was put on bringing back veterans so the amount of newcomers (that are not echo fighters) was very minimal compared to the last game. As far as non-echo newcomers go we got 6 and one of them ended up being a semi-clone. And I'm sure since Sakurai already spent time on K. Rool it wouldn't be fair that the Donkey Kong series got two non-echo newcomers while everyone else either got one or an echo.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't get how being tied to another fighter via gameplay says anything about a character's importance/iconicness/popularity. It's not like she'd work like Pikmin or Luma.

Plus, both Zelda and Samus were part of another fighter in Brawl (granted, the other fighters was the same character, but still).
A lot of people including myself would be more upset with a important/iconic/popular character being part of a tag team duo whether than being on their own. This is really not on topic on what I'm taking about here, but look how many people including myself that are upset that Ganondorf is still a semi-clone of Captain Falcon. Falcon's moveset doesn't represent Ganondorf at all and we really would prefer Ganondorf to use his magic like in his games whether than him being a semi-clone.

You know Sheik and Zero Suit Samus has been separated from Zelda and Samus now right? I think Sakurai knew people would enjoy those characters having their own slot whether than sharing it with another character.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
A lot of people including myself would be more upset with a important/iconic/popular character being part of a tag team duo whether than being on their own. This is really not on topic on what I'm taking about here, but look how many people including myself that are upset that Ganondorf is still a semi-clone of Captain Falcon. Falcon's moveset doesn't represent Ganondorf at all and we really would prefer Ganondorf to use his magic like in his games whether than him being a semi-clone.
But how does Dixie and Diddy working together represents them badly?

You know Sheik and Zero Suit Samus has been separated from Zelda and Samus now right? I think Sakurai knew people would enjoy those characters having their own slot whether than sharing it with another character.
Yes, and I also know Pokemon Trainer still shares his slot with Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard. Those two only were separated due to balance and hardware reasons, tag-team characters can still work in Smash.

We are just talking about hypothetical scenarios here. Personally, I don't think lack of a down special and an individual slot on CSS is detrimental to a character.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
But how does Dixie and Diddy working together represents them badly?

Yes, and I also know Pokemon Trainer still shares his slot with Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard. Those two only were separated due to balance and hardware reasons, tag-team characters can still work in Smash.

We are just talking about hypothetical scenarios here. Personally, I don't think lack of a down special and an individual slot on CSS is detrimental to a character.
Like I said, we would prefer Dixie as her own character. Diddy and Dixie would represent each other well as a tag team duo, but it's not what most of us would want to see. Pokemon Trainer works because you can't have a Pokemon Trainer without his Pokemon. Ice Climbers you really couldn't do much with one unless you made a tag team duo out of them.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
As much as I want Dixie myself, I personally would prefer Diddy and Dixie to be separate fighters since I believe they have enough combative abilities for their own move sets plus the duo system would have been problematic for the 3DS considering what happened to Ice Climbers.

Not to mention I absolutely adore Diddy's solo move set, I don't feel like it would be the same if Dixie had to be stuck with him.
Problematic for the 3DS in that they probably would have just separated them in Smash 4 the same way Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Sheik were. It would have been a win win, having them together in just Brawl, which I don't play anymore anyway, and having them as separated characters in Smash 4 and Ultimate, since they would both have to be brought back for Everyone is here and would probably stay separated like the above two examples. Pokemon Trainer only remained together in Ultimate and was cut in 4 because the Trainer literally cannot be a character without the three Pokemon being together, same with the Ice Climbers being always together. Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Sheik can work perfectly fine as individual characters and in fact work better as separated because the only thing sticking them together was a Down B and a convoluted Final Smash mechanism. I'm 99% sure Diddy and Dixie would have fallen into this camp and could have tolerated them being together for just one game where the story is seen as the strong point over the gameplay anyway, and just for the novelty purpose, which that game had plenty of, the same way I tolerated Samus/ZSS and Zelda/Sheik. Then individual Diddy and Dixie in Smash 4 and Ultimate like I said before.

Last edited:
Top Bottom