• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
A bit of a delay in me realizing I wanted to post this here, but better late than never.

So they already confirmed that every DLC character besides Piranha Plant will bring a stage with them when their challenger packs release. If Dixie Kong were to be one the DLC characters, what stage would come with her?

Now there's a LOT of options for that, but in TheMarioAddict's Stage Creation Thread in General Discussion I put together an idea for what one of those options would be like.
]
"FRUITY FACTORY"
from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U/Switch)

The 3rd level of Tropical Freeze’s 5th world. Juicy Jungle. And an apt name for the world if I do say so myself, because this place is filled with fruit, and the snowmads have established a food processing factory for it.

Most of the time when people think of a stage from Tropical Freeze, they usually go with an ice themed level from the games final world. Which makes sense since the game literally has the subtitle “Tropical FREEZE” but there are plenty of amazing non-ice levels in the game so I wanted to take a whack at making one as a Smash Stage idea. And with Fruity Factory being arguably the most unique of them all, I decided on that one.

Apologies about the lack of a proper background. After some tinkering I was able to get most of the stage image created in the way I wanted it. But the background proved to be too tricky. Think of it like this. You’re inside the factory, but there’s a giant door open that shows the background of Reckless Ride outside. That’s the kind of background I tried to aim for. Anyway, on to the actual stage.

The green represents pass-through platforms, and the blue represents solid ground.
For the most part on this stage, what you see is what you get. A simple layout with four platforms in the air and a switch in the middle of them modeled after the face of Lord Fredrik (which by the way, is that character just a result of hacking Fire Emblem Awakening? Frederick can’t reclass into a lord otherwise).

What does this switch do? Well in the source game you pull a lever on it to open certain pathways. Here though you have to attack it in order to activate it. When the one in the middle is attacked, it will randomly pick one of the soft platforms to drop a watermelon onto.

All platforms can have a watermelon on them but no platform can have any more than two of them. But they will remain there once brought in unless they get destroyed. Which can be done easily enough with a few attacks, think of them being twice as strong as the breakable walls in the Classic Mode bonus game, but attacks are the only way to break them, colliding with them does nothing to them and like the main arena, they function as hard platforms.

Once the Lord Frederik switch is activated it will enter a cooldown time where it’s eyes are greyed out, signaling that you’ll have to wait until the eyes glow again to drop another watermelon.

Speaking of which, why are the eyes on the two switches near the edge red instead of blue? Well…………..

Because those switches instead bring up the fruit slicers for 10 seconds. This temporarily seals off the bottom blast zone and the slicers won’t KO you until you’re at a really high percent. We’re talking about the 200% range here. The purpose behind this gimmick is to give you an option for recovering back to the stage if you’re willing to take the extra damage to save your stock. All you have to do is attack the switch.

But like with the blue-eyed switch, there’s a cooldown after one has been used until it can be used again. But both red-eyed switches operate independently from each other. They do not share activation and cooldown times.

How long is the cooldown? At a random point that will never exceed 15 seconds.

While the fruit slicers are up, one last thing could happen.

The fruit that they are designed to slice could fall from the ceiling into the slicers. While still whole, the fruit acts as nothing more than an impassable obstacle. No damage, no bouncing, no nothing. But like in the source game, slices of the fruit will be launched up from the blades to serve as soft platforms. Though they will only remain in the air for a few seconds.

And there you have it! After almost a full year of hosting the stage creation contest, I finally have a stage idea of my own submitted. Hope you all liked it!

Possible DLC Character this stage could come with:

Dixie Kong

DLC music this stage could bring:

Fruity Factory (Will need a remix though): https://youtu.be/zWckr41oNCc

Reckless Ride: https://youtu.be/Vsr15pt7zhM

Frosty Fruits: https://youtu.be/xwMzeLa8rBY

Busted Bayou: https://youtu.be/95HuSMQSUVo

Irate Eight (Chase): https://youtu.be/UHXMsrZ1jcM

Scorch N Torch: https://youtu.be/JFP4wn0dejc

Volcano Dome: https://youtu.be/1Fzu8vA7ncw

Furious Fire: https://youtu.be/7tvSdx3-UxE

Treetop Tumble (Will need a remix though): https://youtu.be/NjmUCbNk65o

Angry Aztec (Will need a remix though: https://youtu.be/Smx_2U6I5_A

Any thoughts?
I like it! The Switch gimmick really stands out to me, and the layout is solid; the blades remind me of Brinstar's rising lava, just instead of periodic it's completely up to the players which is nice. A stage with toggable hazards independent of the Ultimate's overall hazard feature is somewhat meta.

I'm gonna make a new section in the OP for stage ideas, and this one is going in it. Well done.

Also, to SeashoreWar SeashoreWar , Crap-Zapper Crap-Zapper and Justin Little Justin Little , I'll add your art later on tonight. In the future, do y'all mind adding your art to imgur from now on? I use that site to display things since Smashboards's images crash overtime and become permanently unavailable; even if the imgur link fails to display you can always click the broken image and be brought directly to the pic. Definitely helps for the long term.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I would be fine with just Dixie Kong for this game. No need to turn DK into the next Fire Emblem where the rest of the Smash Community despises us and the characters for Sakurai Bias. Maybe Funky or Tiny in a future game would be fine.
I'm not exactly expecting us to be gorged in DK characters this time either (see my sig), especially since there are other series to focus on in the meantime (never mind inevitable new third parties).

Although Metroid is on its way of becoming the next Fire Emblem anyway (for the JP side at least, since they don't care much for it), depending on when or if Sylux shows up, so this kind of occurrence is inevitable no matter which series gets focused on. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The funny thing is that Funky Kong has a much better chance of being added to the roster at this point than Dixie Kong is, because if Sakurai and his team decided to add a few more echoes, Funky Kong would probably be a top contender. Sure Dixie Kong could also be a workable echo, but it would involve her being at least a Chrom-style echo (unique recovery and Final Smash) or even a Ken-style one (unique A-moves and Final Smash), while Funky Kong could be a Richter/Daisy style echo which involves less work.

If Dixie got in I'd just be content with the DK representation and probably never ask for anyone else again. If we were so blessed, though, I'd pull for Cranky.
That is how I felt about Dixie Kong in general after Ridley, the Belmonts, K. Rool, and Everyone is Here happened. Dixie Kong was my last personal character request. However, since the next game after this is likely going to purge a large portion of the roster, even if Dixie Kong were added, it would feel empty or pyyric .

I am still absolutely thrilled with Ultimate's roster, but Dixie Kong still would have personally "completed" Smash Bros. for me, not just DK.

On a sidenote,
Ridley coming in a game where "everyone is here" managed to give us things like this:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

As someone that has been following the Smash Bros. series from the very beginning (from even before it was released outside Japan), Ultimate seems like a beautiful sendoff. Ridley gradually evolved over the course of the entire series (background character to intro movie & trophy role to two boss battles to a boss that can become an ally to playable fighter). It almost seems like the end to a long journey.

A bit of a delay in me realizing I wanted to post this here, but better late than never.

So they already confirmed that every DLC character besides Piranha Plant will bring a stage with them when their challenger packs release. If Dixie Kong were to be one the DLC characters, what stage would come with her?

Now there's a LOT of options for that, but in TheMarioAddict's Stage Creation Thread in General Discussion I put together an idea for what one of those options would be like.

"FRUITY FACTORY"
from Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Wii U/Switch)

The 3rd level of Tropical Freeze’s 5th world. Juicy Jungle. And an apt name for the world if I do say so myself, because this place is filled with fruit, and the snowmads have established a food processing factory for it.

Most of the time when people think of a stage from Tropical Freeze, they usually go with an ice themed level from the games final world. Which makes sense since the game literally has the subtitle “Tropical FREEZE” but there are plenty of amazing non-ice levels in the game so I wanted to take a whack at making one as a Smash Stage idea. And with Fruity Factory being arguably the most unique of them all, I decided on that one.

Apologies about the lack of a proper background. After some tinkering I was able to get most of the stage image created in the way I wanted it. But the background proved to be too tricky. Think of it like this. You’re inside the factory, but there’s a giant door open that shows the background of Reckless Ride outside. That’s the kind of background I tried to aim for. Anyway, on to the actual stage.

The green represents pass-through platforms, and the blue represents solid ground.
For the most part on this stage, what you see is what you get. A simple layout with four platforms in the air and a switch in the middle of them modeled after the face of Lord Fredrik (which by the way, is that character just a result of hacking Fire Emblem Awakening? Frederick can’t reclass into a lord otherwise).

What does this switch do? Well in the source game you pull a lever on it to open certain pathways. Here though you have to attack it in order to activate it. When the one in the middle is attacked, it will randomly pick one of the soft platforms to drop a watermelon onto.

All platforms can have a watermelon on them but no platform can have any more than two of them. But they will remain there once brought in unless they get destroyed. Which can be done easily enough with a few attacks, think of them being twice as strong as the breakable walls in the Classic Mode bonus game, but attacks are the only way to break them, colliding with them does nothing to them and like the main arena, they function as hard platforms.

Once the Lord Frederik switch is activated it will enter a cooldown time where it’s eyes are greyed out, signaling that you’ll have to wait until the eyes glow again to drop another watermelon.

Speaking of which, why are the eyes on the two switches near the edge red instead of blue? Well…………..

Because those switches instead bring up the fruit slicers for 10 seconds. This temporarily seals off the bottom blast zone and the slicers won’t KO you until you’re at a really high percent. We’re talking about the 200% range here. The purpose behind this gimmick is to give you an option for recovering back to the stage if you’re willing to take the extra damage to save your stock. All you have to do is attack the switch.

But like with the blue-eyed switch, there’s a cooldown after one has been used until it can be used again. But both red-eyed switches operate independently from each other. They do not share activation and cooldown times.

How long is the cooldown? At a random point that will never exceed 15 seconds.

While the fruit slicers are up, one last thing could happen.

The fruit that they are designed to slice could fall from the ceiling into the slicers. While still whole, the fruit acts as nothing more than an impassable obstacle. No damage, no bouncing, no nothing. But like in the source game, slices of the fruit will be launched up from the blades to serve as soft platforms. Though they will only remain in the air for a few seconds.

And there you have it! After almost a full year of hosting the stage creation contest, I finally have a stage idea of my own submitted. Hope you all liked it!

Possible DLC Character this stage could come with:

Dixie Kong

DLC music this stage could bring:

Fruity Factory (Will need a remix though): https://youtu.be/zWckr41oNCc

Reckless Ride: https://youtu.be/Vsr15pt7zhM

Frosty Fruits: https://youtu.be/xwMzeLa8rBY

Busted Bayou: https://youtu.be/95HuSMQSUVo

Irate Eight (Chase): https://youtu.be/UHXMsrZ1jcM

Scorch N Torch: https://youtu.be/JFP4wn0dejc

Volcano Dome: https://youtu.be/1Fzu8vA7ncw

Furious Fire: https://youtu.be/7tvSdx3-UxE

Treetop Tumble (Will need a remix though): https://youtu.be/NjmUCbNk65o

Angry Aztec (Will need a remix though: https://youtu.be/Smx_2U6I5_A

Any thoughts?
Those are absolutely fantastic ideas. Thank you for sharing them. Your passion and imagination is exactly what the Dixie Kong fanbase needs going forward. That is a really cool (pun intended) idea for a stage, and would have been a great idea in general to represent Tropical Freeze.

We've talked about that a lot already and it's really, really looking like Dixie won't be in the fighters pass if you watched the Game Awards. To the point where I don't even want to speculate on it because it's just so unlikely. That being said I would like a stage from any game that isn't DKC1 or Returns. DKC2, DKC3, and Tropical Freeze all have incredibly gorgeous setpieces and level themes that would bring a lot to Smash's diversity. An actual bramble stage should absolutely happen.
Unfortunately, you are right. Dixie Kong most likely will not be a part of the fighter's pass. It is a bit of a shame, as it actually looked like prior to the Joker unveil that Dixie Kong was among the few Nintendo characters that did have some hope going forward as a DLC prospect. My favorite third-party franchises are now all represented in Smash Bros., so I personally have little personal interest in the newcomers now (I am still curious to see who ends up getting chosen though). However, my level of investment now is a lot lower than it was for the base roster. I have no problem with Piranha Plant, Joker, or
Erdrick
, but I have no personal connection to those characters either.

We shall see what happens with DLC. Personally, I expect myself to become increasingly less engaged (meaning less active) in speculation and character support as the year goes on.

On a side note, it seems there was not much interest in the Dixie Kongtest idea I proposed. It seems a lot of wind got taken out of this thread. Dixie Kong may be unlikely to happen as DLC, but we can still talk about her in general as well as ideas to build support for her in the future.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i feel like dixie probably isnt getting into smash at this point barring a miracle. the smash rosters getting more and more competitive as time goes on and she doesnt quite have the popularity nor unique moveset mechanics that she would need, not to mention she'd be representing a series that already has 3 characters and has been there since 64, so she doesnt get new franchise novelty.

honestly im fine with it though. at this point, smash has already fulfilled most of my wildest fan dreams, including ones i didnt know i wanted. her spirit battle's already a nice enough tribute.

but hey maybe if we turn her into a meme she can get in as a joke character

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
While it does really suck that her chances seem lower than ever now, at the very least we should be able to reasonably expect Dixie to be in the next major DK game, hopefully fully playable and not stuck as a power up for single player. I'm really hoping for a new 3D DK game this year.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I'm just tryna build up gradual, long-term interest online. The thing about Smashboards threads is that while they may be great for discussion and speculation and all that, they do absolutely nothing to spread interest where people might actually see it. I'm only at 142 followers on the Twitter account, but if I can get even one tweet to someday reach a member of the Smash team, I'd be overjoyed.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
i feel like dixie probably isnt getting into smash at this point barring a miracle. the smash rosters getting more and more competitive as time goes on and she doesnt quite have the popularity nor unique moveset mechanics that she would need, not to mention she'd be representing a series that already has 3 characters and has been there since 64, so she doesnt get new franchise novelty.

honestly im fine with it though. at this point, smash has already fulfilled most of my wildest fan dreams, including ones i didnt know i wanted. her spirit battle's already a nice enough tribute.

The one thing Dixie has going for her is she was considered to be playable before (in a limited capacity). So she was already sorta deemed “worthy.” I think now it’s just a question of her being her own character.

I could maybe see a semi-clone scenario someday to save time and resources, but I’m afraid she will fade from the mindshare of Smash/Nintendo fans going forward. Outside of diehard DK fans, she’s just seen as “girl Diddy” unfortunately. And who knows what the priorities will be on the roster come Smash 6.

It sucks, but not much can be done about it now.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
With some talk of Mario Kart, I decided to make a DLC pass idea with a character icon for Dixie and and Enguarde bike!

Also, to SeashoreWar SeashoreWar , Crap-Zapper Crap-Zapper and Justin Little Justin Little , I'll add your art later on tonight. In the future, do y'all mind adding your art to imgur from now on? I use that site to display things since Smashboards's images crash overtime and become permanently unavailable; even if the imgur link fails to display you can always click the broken image and be brought directly to the pic. Definitely helps for the long term.
Will do from now on. I can go back and get all images and reupload them if that helps.

I hope everyone doesn't lose hope for getting Dixie in. You don't have to look too far in Ridley and K. Rool to see that anything can happen!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
That's awesome. Wow. Your style has really blossomed! That's freaking great. I want that Enguarde bike. And a Squitter bike, too!

Mary H.

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1676-4537-1982
With some talk of Mario Kart, I decided to make a DLC pass idea with a character icon for Dixie and and Enguarde bike!

Will do from now on. I can go back and get all images and reupload them if that helps.

I hope everyone doesn't lose hope for getting Dixie in. You don't have to look too far in Ridley and K. Rool to see that anything can happen!
I absolutely love it -- fantastic job! The Enguarde bike design would fit in perfectly with the rest of the vehicle designs.

Ugh... I wish it were real.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

This is looking great! Awesome job my man. Now I do wish that Dixie, along with the readdition of Diddy, also happens in Mario Kart!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

The one thing Dixie has going for her is she was considered to be playable before (in a limited capacity). So she was already sorta deemed “worthy.” I think now it’s just a question of her being her own character.

I could maybe see a semi-clone scenario someday to save time and resources, but I’m afraid she will fade from the mindshare of Smash/Nintendo fans going forward. Outside of diehard DK fans, she’s just seen as “girl Diddy” unfortunately. And who knows what the priorities will be on the roster come Smash 6.

It sucks, but not much can be done about it now.
You are both right that the situation does look dire for Dixie Kong. She is far from "inevitable" like many in the core speculator community thinks. If the next game is a reboot (where a lot of Ultimate's roster ends up being cut), she most likely would not be able to become a newcomer in that scenario. The DK series might also very well go years without a new game or she might very well be absent from the latest DK title as another possibility.

The fact is that Dixie Kong very much needs the same kind of campaign that K. Rool had. She is not only a Nintendo All-Star, but she is important to gaming history as a whole, considering she was among the first heroines to be the star of a break out hit game, with possibly only Samus preceding her (whom many at the time did not even know was a woman).

While it does really suck that her chances seem lower than ever now, at the very least we should be able to reasonably expect Dixie to be in the next major DK game, hopefully fully playable and not stuck as a power up for single player. I'm really hoping for a new 3D DK game this year.
It is very much possible Dixie Kong might not be in the next DK title or only have a minor role. The conventional wisdom during the early part of pre-Smash 4 (especially after Mario Super Sluggers) was that Dixie Kong (and K. Rool) would continue to make appearances in the Mario spinoffs, yet it ended up being that Mario Super Sluggers was the last appearance for both of those characters for years. Dixie also has had a history of missing critical titles that she had little reason not to be in (Diddy Kong Racing, DK64, Country Returns). As I said above, Dixie Kong needs all the push she can get.

I'm just tryna build up gradual, long-term interest online. The thing about Smashboards threads is that while they may be great for discussion and speculation and all that, they do absolutely nothing to spread interest where people might actually see it. I'm only at 142 followers on the Twitter account, but if I can get even one tweet to someday reach a member of the Smash team, I'd be overjoyed.
I hope so too on that. I do commend your efforts to try and push Dixie Kong in an environment where it seems most of the character hope and speculation is now on third-party characters.

This work is absolutely fantastic. I could easily see this being an official promotional image. As others have said, your art has really come a long way, and this might very well be your best work yet. Fantastic job. I particularly love the Dixie Kong character icon and the Enguarde Bike (I could actually see that being a real think if they took more designs from the DK series into Mario Kart).

I am also glad you have said not to lose hope with Dixie Kong. Things are certainly very dire for her, but as you brought up with K. Rool and and Ridley, anything can happen!

Just look at the circumstances behind these characters:

Dr. Mario:
"He will never come back. He is just another Mario and he is far less requested to come back than Mewtwo and Roy."
- Dr. Mario manages to return before Mewtwo and Roy do.

Roy:
"Roy will never come back. We already have four Fire Emblem characters on the roster, with one of them being a Marth clone. Besides, there is already a character named Roy (Koopaling) on the roster, how is another Roy going to work? Also, there is no way they will bring back Roy before Wolf and Snake as DLC."
- Roy returns as DLC in Smash 4.

Pichu:
"Pichu is a crappy joke character that everyone hated, except Melee nostalgia guys. There is no way he is ever coming back to Smash Bros."
- Everyone is Here! (and Pichu ends up being good)

Young Link:
"Young Link is never going to come back. Toon Link effectively replaced him. Three Links will never happen."
-Everyone is Here! (yes, that even includes Young Link)

Ridley:
"Ridley has been among the most wanted characters for the last 15 years and that has done nothing for him. Sakurai also said being resized would not suit Ridley and that he is not suited to being a playable character, which pretty much means he is never going to be playable."
- Ridley ends up being among the few newcomers selected for Ultimate.

K. Rool:
"K. Rool has been replaced in his own franchise. He has not made a game appearance outside Smash Bros. in 10 years."
- K. Rool ends up being among the few newcomers selected for Ultimate.

Simon and Richter:
"Hardly anyone asks for Castlevania. We need Snake back before Castlevania could ever happen, and no can agree on a Castlevania character. Konami seems like they do not even care about gaming anymore so good luck with even getting Snake back."
- Castlevania is the only new third-party franchise added to the base roster.

Chrom:
"We are oversaturated with Fire Emblem characters as it is. Awakening already has two characters representing it. There are already three blue-haired swordsmen representing the series. Also, they always go with the newest FE character for Smash Bros."
- "Anything can change!" (Chrom is among the few echoes added to Ultimate)

Dark Samus:
"Dark Samus's time to be added into Smash Bros. was with Brawl. Her last appearance, likely ever, in her own series was all the way back in 2007. If all the requests in the world were not able to get Ridley in, what hope does Dark Samus have? Besides, hardly anyone asks for her anymore."
- Dark Samus is among the few echoes added to Ultimate.

These are some examples of characters that were able to make it in (or return) despite the very dire circumstances they faced.

Dixie Kong needs a miracle for her to get in just as much as the above characters did. Heck, if Dixie Kong were somehow DLC for Ultimate, I would honestly rank that as among the top miracles ever to happen for roster inclusion (right now, I would put Ridley, Dark Samus, Chrom, and Roy's return in Smash 4 as the greatest miracles for ever getting in).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Dixie indeed lost a lot of "momentum" by not being added in this Smash, and Tropical Freeze having no content in Ultimate is weird. The game is also getting older, so it's harder to notice next time around (not impossible tho, look at Galaxy being represented first in Smash 4). I have no real hope to see her in this time as a DLC character. I am already happy enough that K.Rool is in, and we all should, because that means it's far more likely a new DKC game is gonna star old faces we're all familiar with. Having K.Rool is pretty much a gurantee that Dixie will remain relevant in the DKC franchise. Unless they are doing something extraoridinary as say, remake the first DKC.

Yeah we lost, but I think there's a bright future ahead still. So we can be content with that I hope!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As far as memes go, she would still have to contend with Funky New Mode and He Has No Style, He Has No Grace, This Kong Has a Funny Face.

And I don't want to see fandoms go at war over Kongs that I equally like. :(

Dixie indeed lost a lot of "momentum" by not being added in this Smash, and Tropical Freeze having no content in Ultimate is weird. The game is also getting older, so it's harder to notice next time around (not impossible tho, look at Galaxy being represented first in Smash 4). I have no real hope to see her in this time as a DLC character. I am already happy enough that K.Rool is in, and we all should, because that means it's far more likely a new DKC game is gonna star old faces we're all familiar with. Having K.Rool is pretty much a gurantee that Dixie will remain relevant in the DKC franchise. Unless they are doing something extraoridinary as say, remake the first DKC.

Yeah we lost, but I think there's a bright future ahead still. So we can be content with that I hope!
I agree with this assessment (especially concerning K. Rool :b:), so even if the next game ends up with a smaller cast, DKC is secure in this regard, given that they're starting to run out of logical public-knowledge first party characters to add that aren't in yet.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
As far as memes go, she would still have to contend with Funky New Mode and He Has No Style, He Has No Grace, This Kong Has a Funny Face.

And I don't want to see fandoms go at war over Kongs that I equally like. :(

I agree with this assessment (especially concerning K. Rool :b:), so even if the next game ends up with a smaller cast, DKC is secure in this regard, given that they're starting to run out of logical public-knowledge first party characters to add that aren't in yet.
Yes exactly. Honestly, Dixie might at the very worst end up being much like Bandana Dee; prominent in her franchise, yet neglected for Smash. I can live with that honestly. Like it or not, she's been away way too long to cling to her "All Star" status like Diddy. She wasn't showing up all that much before Tropical Freeze. We might just need more time.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yes exactly. Honestly, Dixie might at the very worst end up being much like Bandana Dee; prominent in her franchise, yet neglected for Smash. I can live with that honestly. Like it or not, she's been away way too long to cling to her "All Star" status like Diddy. She wasn't showing up all that much before Tropical Freeze. We might just need more time.
In the meantime, it's best if she and the others can pull a Pauline. Things aren't going to happen if Nintendo continues to rely on Retro to make all future DK games.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
In the meantime, it's best if she and the others can pull a Pauline. Things aren't going to happen if Nintendo continues to rely on Retro to make all future DK games.
Sure. Yet in Pauline's case, she was created by Nintendo themselves. So easier to bring her back like that I guess.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
That's true. Let's just hope the Mario Kart crew doesn't resort to thinking adding Mario in various costumes is good enough an option for extra racers...
Easy solution: readd Diddy to the roster, and build up Dixie's model from that.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Finally added the art by SeashoreWar SeashoreWar Justin Little Justin Little and Crap-Zapper Crap-Zapper . Thanks for contributing!

I like the idea of this thread becoming a hub for creativity, as it'll keep breathing life into it. If anyone has ideas they'd like to share regarding Dixie, definitely do so!

Yes, but go forward with the Mario Kart one. I have the others that pertain to Dixie on my imgur, and it's credited to you. I don't have the non-Dixie ones and from now on I'll link to your imgur posts in the OP.

BTW, your art is definitely outstanding! You've contributed the most art to this thread and I'm VERY happy you did. Keep going cuz you're always getting better.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Thanks everyone!

That's awesome. Wow. Your style has really blossomed! That's freaking great. I want that Enguarde bike. And a Squitter bike, too!
I think Squitter might work better as a kart! I do wanna do some more vehicles of the animal buddies.

Yes, but go forward with the Mario Kart one. I have the others that pertain to Dixie on my imgur, and it's credited to you. I don't have the non-Dixie ones and from now on I'll link to your imgur posts in the OP.

BTW, your art is definitely outstanding! You've contributed the most art to this thread and I'm VERY happy you did. Keep going cuz you're always getting better.
Thanks! I did use imgur for this one, but it doesn't link to the site. I'll have edit it so it does.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sure. Yet in Pauline's case, she was created by Nintendo themselves. So easier to bring her back like that I guess.
I'm sure you already know this, but Nintendo completely owns all of the Rare created DK characters. Nintendo can put Dixie, K. Rool, or any of the Kongs into the Mario spin off titles if they wanted too. I know Diddy and Funky were in Mario Kart Wii and Diddy, K. Rool, Dixie, Tiny. and Kritters were in Super Mario Super Sluggers. But Dixie will get in Smash someday if :ultkrool:made it.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
I'm sure you already know this, but Nintendo completely owns all of the Rare created DK characters. Nintendo can put Dixie, K. Rool, or any of the Kongs into the Mario spin off titles if they wanted too. I know Diddy and Funky were in Mario Kart Wii and Diddy, K. Rool, Dixie, Tiny. and Kritters were in Super Mario Super Sluggers. But Dixie will get in Smash someday if :ultkrool:made it.
It should be noted that the biggest reason why:ultkrool: made it because of the huge amount of fans that asked for him, a positive campaign can help but at the same time the dev team are so unpredictable with character choices since there's still plenty of other highly demanded characters that are still not in Smash.

Also we have no idea how the next game will turn out since there's the possibility of the series being rebooted so nothing is guaranteeing her chance at this point, I feel can only hope and pray that she could get in Smash eventually.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It should be noted that the biggest reason why:ultkrool: made it because of the huge amount of fans that asked for him, a positive campaign can help but at the same time the dev team are so unpredictable with character choices since there's still plenty of other highly demanded characters that are still not in Smash.
I already know that. I contributed by voting for :ultkrool:during the Smash Ballot because he was my most wanted character. If K. Rool is in the next DKC game along with Dixie, than Dixie's popularity and legacy will skyrocket even higher. Her chances will greatly increase for Smash in the future if both her and K. Rool are in the next DKC game.

There's really no correlation to be honest.
Dixie was consider back in Brawl and has been relevant for recent years somewhat. Her chances from a normal perspective of getting in has always been higher than :ultkrool:'s. If she is in the next DKC game along with K. Rool, than I guarantee you she will be in the next Smash.

And before you say it, I know the Smash Ballot is the reason :ultkrool: is in because I voted for him when that was going on.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Her chances from a normal perspective of getting in has always been higher than :ultkrool:'s
I disagree. I've been pretty adamant that K. Rool's chances were as good or better than Dixie's for a long time.

If she is in the next DKC game along with K. Rool, than I guarantee you she will be in the next Smash.
Stellar attendance in their home series hasn't done much for Bandana Dee or Toad either.

I'm not saying Dixie is a lost cause, but at five games, we can't act like she's an inevitability.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I disagree. I've been pretty adamant that K. Rool's chances were as good or better than Dixie's for a long time.

Stellar attendance in their home series hasn't done much for Bandana Dee or Toad either.

I'm not saying Dixie is a lost cause, but at five games, we can't act like she's an inevitability.
Well than, what about the Forbidden 7?

I believe the next DKC game will be the most successful out of the DKCR trilogy if they bring back K. Rool which, I'm sure they will. And if Dixie is in it, she will become even more popular and relevant in the public's eye.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Well than, what about the Forbidden 7?.
If Plusle, Minun, Toon Zelda or Toon Sheik gets into Smash, then I would put more stock into the Forbidden 7 newcomers coming back. Sakurai didn't even bring back Chorus Kids, despite the franchise having a new game within less than a year of the roster being finalized.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
How long is "a long time"? 'Scrapped during development' bodes much better than 'We had no idea he was even popular til now'.

The complaints about DK's neglect was gonna be addressed in one way or another, and if not for the ballot Nintendo as a whole would've kept K. Rool in obscurity.

StormC

Smash Hero
How long is "a long time"? 'Scrapped during development' bodes much better than 'We had no idea he was even popular til now'.
Does it? There is a long list of scrapped Smash fighters that never got another chance. I think being scrapped is unrelated to one's chances, honestly, at least as a newcomer. The only period where I thought Dixie was particularly likely was during Smash 4 due to her return in Tropical Freeze - however, at the time I was unaware of the design document being done in early 2012, meaning she wasn't in the cards for that either.

I was always confident that if Nintendo and Sakurai became aware of the massive demand for K. Rool, they would act on it. I think Dixie's best shot in a future Smash game is if a) she stays relevant to her own series, b) Sakurai sees an opportunity to make her a semi-clone (not being an echo in the base game tells me she was never a candidate for that in Sakurai's mind), and potentially c) if she blows up in popularity.

I'm not here to poopoo anyone for having hope or wanting her playable, I obviously want her too, I'm just trying to look at things objectively. Dixie is by far my most wanted Nintendo newcomer but at this point in Smash I feel like we're shooting in the dark, especially with a potential reboot on its way.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Does it? There is a long list of scrapped Smash fighters that never got another chance. I think being scrapped is unrelated to one's chances, honestly, at least as a newcomer. The only period where I thought Dixie was particularly likely was during Smash 4 due to her return in Tropical Freeze - however, at the time I was unaware of the design document being done in early 2012, meaning she wasn't in the cards for that either.

I was always confident that if Nintendo and Sakurai became aware of the massive demand for K. Rool, they would act on it. I think Dixie's best shot in a future Smash game is if a) she stays relevant to her own series, b) Sakurai sees an opportunity to make her a semi-clone (not being an echo in the base game tells me she was never a candidate for that in Sakurai's mind), and potentially c) if she blows up in popularity.

I'm not here to poopoo anyone for having hope or wanting her playable, I obviously want her too, I'm just trying to look at things objectively. Dixie is by far my most wanted Nintendo newcomer but at this point in Smash I feel like we're shooting in the dark, especially with a potential reboot on its way.
The hiccup is that they were blindsided by K. Rool's popularity. If he didn't get that tidal wave of votes Nintendo would've erroneously continued to think he's nothing special. They would've wrote him off, looked at Tropical Freeze for candidates (Cranky or Dixie) or revisited an old idea and see if it can work on its own (Dixie). Because at that point, enough people would've been complaining about DK's neglect and Sakurai would be out to rectify it somehow.

K. Rool doesn't show up in those plausible scenarios, which had higher likelihoods. The ballot's a miracle as Nintendo likes to operate without fan input and assumes they know what's best for us. Dixie had a higher chance, yea, but higher chances don't guarantee a spot.

I disagree with you on who had higher likelihood but I don't read your statements as you trashing Dixie, so no worries.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

The complaints about DK's neglect was gonna be addressed in one way or another, and if not for the ballot Nintendo as a whole would've kept K. Rool in obscurity.
Not only that, it should be noted that she received a trophy over Diddy in Melee (when trophies were more limited and weren't just given to everyone unlike Brawl and Smash 4), and was in fact one of the only DK characters to receive a trophy other than DK, DK Jr., and K. Rool, two of which are playable and one of which isn't used anymore, so Sakurai's clearly had his eye on her, however weak, for a while now.

If Plusle, Minun, Toon Zelda or Toon Sheik gets into Smash, then I would put more stock into the Forbidden 7 newcomers coming back. Sakurai didn't even bring back Chorus Kids, despite the franchise having a new game within less than a year of the roster being finalized.
I mean, I'd argue Toon Zelda/Tetra would probably be the only one of those characters that's on par with Dixie in terms of likelyness and relevancy (and that's mostly because of Wind Waker HD), so she would probably be the only one likely to even have a chance of getting in before or over Dixie. And as much as it pains me to admit, despite the fact that we need one more than ever, a Zelda newcomer is probably even less likely than a new DK/Kirby/etc rep., due to Zelda being one of the only veteran series to already receive a new stage in the game, unless included as a bonus character like Piranha Plant.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yo, look at the positive side? :4mewtwo::4feroy::4drmario: all happened in the end. And those where part of the Forbidden Seven as well.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Plusle and Minun would be funny considering we are likely getting another pointless new generation this year, and they are from Generation 3 which was what, 15 years ago? Talk about late to the party.

I don't think "Chorus Kids" not being a thing means much. Honestly, I think there are so many better ideas for a Rhythm Heaven rep, maybe Sakurai just realized how bad of idea they were. Well, obviously this is just my opinion.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Let's just face it, Plusle and Minun are not coming at all.

They're not promotional Pokémon, nor are they from the most recent generation, and nothing's been considered from their generation despite getting remakes, so that's all three strikes against them. Plus Rayquaza isn't in as a boss once again.

The day Sakurai and co. bring in a Pokémon newcomer that doesn't tie into one of the latest Pokémon games at the time a Smash entry's out, is the day we see Hogwashes fly.

I don't think "Chorus Kids" not being a thing means much. Honestly, I think there are so many better ideas for a Rhythm Heaven rep, maybe Sakurai just realized how bad of idea they were. Well, obviously this is just my opinion.
I mean, programming three characters at once to function as one would be a tad complicated...

Yo, look at the positive side? :4mewtwo::4feroy::4drmario: all happened in the end. And those where part of the Forbidden Seven as well.
Yeah, but these guys are all veterans, which isn't that much of a hassle to bring in here compared to newcomers.

Though you still make a fair point otherwise.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, but these guys are all veterans, which isn't that much of a hassle to bring in here compared to newcomers.

Though you still make a fair point otherwise.
As you said yourself, Plusle and Minun aren't gonna happen anyway. Same with Toon Zelda and Tetra, ever since Zelda got that Phantom Down B. They seemed like situational picks, because of what was trending in gaming at that given moment. Much like Sakurai's comments about adding Robin, if Awakening wasn't as huge at that time, or characters got decided later, Robin wouldn't have made it. I guess same would go for Sheik in Melee and Jigglypuff in 64.

Dixie still stands out on her own amongst the Forbidden 7.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
So guys, how likely do you think it is that a new DKC game will get announced this year?
A new title on the Switch would really bolster our chances for a new DLC character.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So guys, how likely do you think it is that a new DKC game will get announced this year?
A new title on the Switch would really bolster our chances for a new DLC character.
It should happen I feel. They had enough time now to make something out of the Tropical Freeze Switch enigine, and I doubt they would let such an oppertunity pass now that King K.Rool is also back, and it's quite easy to recreate Kremlings out of the Snowmad enemies from Tropical Freeze. It would be weird if they didn't at least plan, or make a concept for a new DKC game. Tropical Freeze sold way more on Switch than on Wii U. It just sucks that we have no dedicated studio for the franchise, and Nintendo themselves don't really see it as a main priority to have one. Otherwise I'd say it's all but confirmed we got a new game on our way.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
About 50-70%. The more quiet Retro are about their current activities, the later we'll hear about an announcement for a new DKC. And we still don't know if the Star Fox Grand Prix rumor is true or not.

Top Bottom