• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Justin Little

Smash Ace
They should pretend to show Metroid, only for Cranky to show up and spend an hour complaining about the game industry. "All of this talk about cutting-edge technological games, bah! Back in my day, we were lucky enough to move at a pixel frame per second! And we liked it!"

"Bloodborne... difficult... ha! Don't make me laugh! I could've beaten this game using those blasted Bongos that my grandson keeps waking me up with! The only thing difficult about the game is Wrinkly Kong continuously altering the TV screen with static portraits of herself! Where is she anyway?"

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
For any Dixie Kong fans that enjoyed my supportive posts of her in this topic, I recently posted my comprehensive analysis of the Ultimate roster (as well as an assortment of various other essays pertaining to it and DLC). Be warned, there is a lot to read. However, the topic is broken up into different sections (which are all spoilered to hide the text of each particular section or essay), and these individual sections are readable within a single sitting I think.

Here is a link for it:
https://smashboards.com/threads/eve...ates-roster-and-other-assorted-essays.464556/

I also had this to say on Dixie Kong:

To tell the truth, there is actually one more character that I personally would love to see become a playable character in Smash Bros., a character who truly deserves the title of “Nintendo All-Star” and has been a character that I cherished since my childhood. I am talking about Dixie Kong. She had always been my favorite character of the amazing Donkey Kong Country trilogy (which were among my favorite games for the SNES). I will do what I can to help build her support, but I cannot make any grandiose promises. I offer only the warm words of my heart. Whether that grows into something that builds her support for DLC or a future game is another question entirely, and beyond my ability to properly ascertain.

Of all of these, Dixie Kong is the one I want to see the most. During the 1990’s, Samus and Dixie Kong were my favorite two Nintendo heroes in general, not just heroines. It was Samus getting into Smash Bros. that made me first discover the series (even before the game launched in North America), and I was absolutely ecstatic she was able to make it in when she did not even have a Nintendo 64 game or a new game planned for her series like every other character on the roster. Dixie Kong by comparison would serve as a closing chapter. They would be fitting bookends for myself, Nintendo’s first two major prominent heroines.

Even if Dixie Kong were not to make it in as DLC, I would not be upset or even try to fight for her for the next game. It would simply be “oh well”, and I would put in a very good word for her for Dixie Kong fans to hopefully use for the next round. Ultimate already gave me everything else I hoped for, Dixie Kong would just be the “cherry on top” (or if looking at Dixie’s hair, the banana). I also expect the next game after this one to be a reboot, and it would be a bit heartbreaking to play a game without many of the characters I cherish within Smash Bros. I still hope that somehow Dixie Kong makes it to be among the five DLC fighters for Ultimate.

SenSx

Smash Apprentice
Retro has never been a dedicated studio for DK. They chose to make Tropical Freeze bc they had a lot of leftover ideas. Retro is a Nintendo mercenary squad more than a dedicated studio and their specialty is resurrecting damaged IPs, which is why I buy the notion of Star Fox Grand Prix.

We’ll probably see a new DK game at E3 2019 as a 25th celebration of the DKC series and ending the Country series on a bang before Nintendo reinvents Donkey Kong like they reinvented Mario and Zelda.
Yea and sadly Retro Studio is probably finished.
I don't think they are working on anything of importance...

Last edited:

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Yea and sadly Retro Studio is probably finished.
I don't think they are working on anything of importance...
If the rumored Metroid Prime Trilogy is announced at the Game Awards and Retro is the studio developing it, then you could probably confirm that they’ve been reduced to a port studio.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Food for thought: Every Mii Costume/hat that's on the base game is of a character represented in Smash either through a playable character (King K. Rool, Chrom, Mario, Daisy, Peach, Inkling, etc.) or an assist trophy (Vince, Ashley, Isaac, Waluigi, etc.) except Dixie. She only got a hat and she is neither an assist or a playable character (obviously) I just find it really weird.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Food for thought: Every Mii Costume/hat that's on the base game is of a character represented in Smash either through a playable character (King K. Rool, Chrom, Mario, Daisy, Peach, Inkling, etc.) or an assist trophy (Vince, Ashley, Isaac, Waluigi, etc.) except Dixie. She only got a hat and she is neither an assist or a playable character (obviously) I just find it really weird.
I don't want to get my tin foil hat on...but that is rather conspicuous.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
I get what you mean but we also have Chibi Robo, Ray Mk III, Saki Amamiya, Ribbon Girl & KK Slider as Mii costumes. Sure Dixie just got the hat but..... hmmm, yeah, that is weird. Still I'd save the tin foil hat for when one or other is announced.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Yeah the whole Dixie situation is really weird. The way I look at it is that she’s got a 50/50 chance to make Wave 1 of DLC. If we get Wave 2 of DLC then her chances increase to about 80%.

I think Nintendo’s aware of the series representation issue, which is why I’m not sold of everyone shoehorning in a Gen 8 Pokémon and Fire Emblem Three Houses rep. Incineroar was selected as a Gen 7 Pokémon rep for sure, but he was mainly selected bc Sakurai stated that he always wanted a Smash character with a professional wrestler moveset.

Also if we’re taking about promotional picks, I don’t see why Gen 8 Pokémon needs promotion. It’s the biggest media franchise in the world (no joke look it up) and Fire Emblem Heroes is Nintendo’s most profitable mobile game. Sure Nintendo can pick a rep for these two upcoming games, but it isn’t as much of a lock as people are making it out to be. Plus Nintendo is aware that people are sick of Fire Emblem characters and Chrom as an echo may have been all that Fire Emblem fans will get.

As we stand now the franchises that need a new rep most are DK (Dixie), Kirby (Waddle Dee), and Xenoblade (Rex or Elma). Star Fox deserves another rep too, but Krystal is the only worthy character imo and she’s an assist trophy. With Nintendo themselves making the selections I’d be shocked if one of these characters didn’t make the DLC.

What I’ve learned over this speculation period is to stop looking for too many clues. Remember all the evidence for Skull Kid and Isaac? How about Geno and Shadow? Also don’t listen to these “insiders” anymore. Vergeben is the only one worth trusting, but DLC is a different animal.

Just enjoy the game when it comes out. I’m gonna have so much fun this weekend playing with my friends! This is looking to be my favorite game on the Switch :)

Last edited:

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
I believe the Gen 8 Pokemon Rep would bring in more money and even if it leaves a sour taste for some, I don't think it would be as bad as having another Fire Emblem sword character... as it's, y'know, Pokemon. I think the whole DLC thing is weird because of the amazing Piranha Plant. It leaves the door open to pretty much anyone/thing. Who knows what Nintendo's cooking? It's the main reason I'm staying mega positive about Dixie. That and she's great.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I feel like a DLC new Pokemon wouldn't make the splash that people expect, I mean like KremlingKuthroat19 KremlingKuthroat19 said Pokemon absolutely doesn't need promotion. Anyone buying the DLC for Smash is absolutely going to be buying the big new Pokemon game. Not to mention it inevitably won't be a character anyone will have an attachment with--for everyone, it's going to be a "literally who?" moment, even if the character looks good.

I'm just trying to stay positive and hope that we don't get another corporate Pokemon newcomer.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
One day, Donkey Kong Island will have Dixie Kong's face on it. Oh yeah, it will still be called DK Island though. (Dixie Kong Island).

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Do you guys think Tiny could work as an echo of Dixie when she eventually gets in, or does the whole shrinking thing make her too unique? I could definitely see them both fighting with mostly hair-based attacks as well as using the Gumball Blowgun and the feather gun from DK64, but Tiny's whole shrinking thing doesn't even seem like it could work in Smash to their advantage. I mean, we already have the Poison Shroom and it's obviously a detriment. Would be right to have Tiny in the game without that ability though? Personally I'd be fine if it meant we got more Kongs in the game.

I already brought this up on the Twitter as well as DK Vine, but didn't get much input. What do you guys think of Tiny anyway?
Nah. Their body types are too different to begin with, and while they both use hair attacks, the fact that one has 2 pigtails while the other has a ponytail means you can have some wildly different attacks. Take Tiny's standard attack from DK64; she uses the hair like 2 oversized extra arms. She comes with 2 extra limbs while Dixie has 1. Think of Hedlok from ARMS or Cerebella from Skullgirls, and you see that Tiny has more to work with. You can cook up quite a few attacks for a 4-armed fighter, and '64 gave us plenty of no-brainers for a potential moveset.

Then there's her shrinking, which they could honestly use Ant-Man style and have her shrink to dodge attacks, like how Rosalina and a few other fighters disappear to dodge. We'd also have to consider the the crossbow, which would function differently from a bubblegum popgun in trajectory alone, as well as all the other fancy moves Tiny had in DK64.

I have a hard time justifying Diddy and Dixie sharing a moveset, but an even harder time justifying Dixie and Tiny. They could share a spin attack, but that's about it. Even their midair jumps would be different.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Maybe in a future game, Tiny Kong and Chunky Kong can be combined from a gameplay perspective. Tiny Can ride on Chunky's head, or under his cap, like Ratatouille.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Joker from Persona 5!? Welp Dixie is done for. Reggie confirmed during the Game Awards all the DLC is gonna be 3rd parties. So glad I didn't buy that fighter pass now. lol Not even a Persona 5 port....

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I haven't played it, but my brother LOVES Persona 5, so I can't exactly be mad. Plus, this actually gives me more hope for 2B, my other most-wanted.

I do feel like this means Dixie (and just about any Nintendo 1st parry character) is out of the running, though, which is unfortunate.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
So spirits really do deconfirm characters....what a shame. *sigh*

I love how they reveal one character and everybody goes into full doom and gloom mode.
Because Reggie said "This will give you an idea of how the Smash DLC is headed, adding characters/franchises you would never expect to be added to Smash" to me that is a HARD confirm that first parties are out of the running.

Mr Blargh

Smash Rookie
I left to to go pick up my copy of smash and caught the trailer getting streamed. I didn't hear Reggie say that but at least the band aid has been ripped off finally.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, let's not beat around the bush here. Dixie is deconfirmed, and so are Bandana Dee, Elma, and all the other first party options.

I know I should probably let this sink in before I permanently give a reaction on the internet, but eh, it's interesting to come back to later I guess. I wish Nintendo would realize that we love their characters and "unexpected" does not equal "good", but I know a lot of folks are gonna be thrilled about this so, good on them. Like I doubt any Joker fans were going to lie awake at night bothered by the omission of this character from Smash Bros like some of us might be about certain first-party picks who seem like natural fits. But whatever, this is kind of the culture we live in right now--the whole drive for clicks and conversation and "WHOA WHAT?!" moments--so it's best to think positively going forward and appreciate what we have.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I'm just happy I get to save $25 and I can spend that money towards other Switch games coming out in 2019. 3rd party franchises by the end of the DLC will rival the amount of Nintendo franchises represented in the game. That's crazy to me. What once started out as "Nintendo All-Stars" duking it out has turned into "Videogame Characters: The fighter". So happy I didn't buy that fighters pass and now I can stop the Smash speculation once and for all. That alone makes Joker worth it because it gives so much stress and relief off of my back.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
haha, yup, this is the final nail. No joke. Only Joker. Reggie said the DLC will be unexpected like Joker so alas poor Dixie. Something along those lines... Joker is a taste of what DLC is gonna be like.

Last edited:

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Yeah, let's not beat around the bush here. Dixie is deconfirmed, and so are Bandana Dee, Elma, and all the other first party options.

I know I should probably let this sink in before I permanently give a reaction on the internet, but eh, it's interesting to come back to later I guess. I wish Nintendo would realize that we love their characters and "unexpected" does not equal "good", but I know a lot of folks are gonna be thrilled about this so, good on them. Like I doubt any Joker fans were going to lie awake at night bothered by the omission of this character from Smash Bros like some of us might be about certain first-party picks who seem like natural fits. But whatever, this is kind of the culture we live in right now--the whole drive for clicks and conversation and "WHOA WHAT?!" moments--so it's best to think positively going forward and appreciate what we have.
Yeah I’m fully convinced it’s 100% third parties characters. At least we’re not gonna get screwed by Fire Emblem and Pokémon then. Glad I didn’t waste $25 on the Fighter Pass. Piranha Plant as a selection was a big red flag to me.

Gotta say Nintendo dropped the ball with that selection though. Why pick a PS4 exclusive? Plus Persona is a popular but niche franchise. Since people are individually paying for DLC characters, don’t you want your DLC selections to be heavy hitters with mass appeal like Crash Bandicoot, Lara Croft, Master Chief etc.?

If Nintendo makes a 2nd Fighter Pass i hope they make it up to their fans and give them all first-Party characters. I wish Smash still felt like a Nintendo game. I never asked for Cloud and Joker. It’s gotten ridiculous at this point.

Last edited:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I like Joker but I'm bit sad cause its probably over for some popular first party characters including Dixie.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman

Well said, Saber. We still got one hell of a game to look forward to, at the end of the day.
I'm just gonna whip up some Dixie, Rayman & Toad miis for when Saint Nick hits my hometurf in the coming weeks.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
haha, yup, this is the final nail. No joke. Only Joker. Reggie said the DLC will be unexpected like Joker so alas poor Dixie. Something along those lines... Joker is a taste of what DLC is gonna be like.
Well since you're not expecting her anymore, I guess she's unexpected now too. :p:p:p

Honestly before the Joker reveal, I kept seeing people even on this thread talking about how she unlikely she was and how she "wouldn't be suitable for DLC". Plenty of room to fit Dixie in the "unexpected" category, just like Roy and Corrin for Smash 4.

Obviously Reggie's going to say that they will be unexpected, why would he say "These characters will be predictable and boring."

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
like i said i am a naive fool and i will only count dixie out after all the dlc is revealed and she's nowhere to be found. you dont have to as ride-or-die as i am (in fact i advise against it) but thats where i'm at

i'll admit it doesnt look good for her chances (or any first-party) but i'll complain about that when we get there

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

Starting at 3:07

"So this gives you a flavor of how we're approaching the DLC. So the DLC, there's going to be five characters, each character will come with a stage, it'll come with a collection of music, these are going to be characters that are new to the series, just like Joker from Persona 5, characters that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. We're super excited about this, the fans can go and they could get the Fighter's Pass to get all of the five fighters that'll be coming to the series. We're tremendously excited."

Literally nothing about this says that the DLC is only from completely new series, or that they'll only be third-party characters. So on that front I want to make that clear.

The only thing that hurts Dixie, and this is admittedly big, is the part where Reggie said "...that you would not anticipate to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate." Dixie is wanted and somewhat expected cuz she's the last big, wanted DK character, and I wouldn't say she's "newsworthy" either as much as I like her.

I'm excited about who's next because I love Persona 5 and Joker, but yeah...this does admittedly feel like they ripped the band-aid off on any hopes for Dixie...

Edit: I'll still hope for her anyway. She still isn't given a hard deconfirm for DLC.

Last edited:

Vez

Smash Apprentice
Yeah... I don't have much hope for Dixie after that. I'm probably just going to move on. I liked Persona 5 so I'm not upset at the announcement, but at the same time it gives me a good idea of what to expect.

Game is good, though. Real good.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Even if Dixie Kong isn't part of this first wave of DLC, she could very well be in the next one.

Giving up so soon is silly to me.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
It looks like we'll just have to wait for Wave 2. If that even happens.

It feels like we were so close to getting her, too. K. Rool finally got in, so she seemed like the next logical step. But alas...

Vez

Smash Apprentice
Even if Dixie Kong isn't part of this first wave of DLC, she could very well be in the next one.

Giving up so soon is silly to me.
Maybe but I'm not going to get my hopes up. The stress of waiting for a character you have wanted for a long time is tiring tbh. I've at least got K. Rool so I'm just going to enjoy the game for what it is.

Last edited:

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
Ok then, for the first wave of DLC I won't anticipate Dixie! It's the only way!

Top Bottom