• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
The way I see it. There are multiple things that are going against Dixie Kong as a DLC candidate and things that might be reason to inspire hope.

Against:
- Nearly every newcomer for Smash 4 DLC was third-party with the exception of Corrin who was an advertisement. No long running Nintendo characters.
- Spirits might be deconfirmations (Piranha Plant is among the few things not to have a spirit).
- There is a Mii hat of Dixie Kong and so far there is no precedence of a character being promoted from a Mii costume to a playable character within the same game.
- Nintendo is deciding the DLC. and I think Nintendo choosing the DLC slots means they will go with third-party characters (particularly ones important to Nintendo's future success) and Nintendo advertisements (Fire Emblem Three Houses or Generation 8 Pokemon as two examples).

For:
- Dixie would at least have the benefit of being able to use Diddy Kong as a base and thus help expedite development in comparison to many other newcomer prospects.
- Tropical Freeze has no new tracks in Ultimate which might be suspicious to some.
- The presence of Ice Cave Chant (which is a weird music track to include for all of the Jungle themed DK stages).

There are a few things that could be used to inspire hope, but at the same time there are multiple factors telling us that things look dire for Dixie Kong's DLC prospects. I think after the first two newcomers (after Piranha Plant) for DLC are shown, we will know more about Dixie Kong's chances.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Poochy would be wonderful in Smash.

Hey so guys, I've been thinking, and I think I might have come to a possible conclusion as to why Dixie isn't in Smash. Now, this gets a little tinfoil hatty and it might be pretty controversial, but look at all of the female characters we have in Smash. How many of them are sexy girls, and how many are more on the cartoony side like King Dedede and the like? I've noticed that we really don't have a lot of variety in the visual department when it comes to female characters. Pretty much all of them are slim, sexy, human women. Why?

I went through and checked out all of the female characters we have in Smash to count how many are more cartoony/goofy than cute/sexy. If you don't count avatar characters who are just there to represent a game or concept rather than a specific person (Inkling, Villager, Miis), as well as the Pokemon, we're left with...Wendy and Isabelle. A skin and a semi-clone. That's it.

Now look, I'm not saying Sakurai or anyone on the Smash dev team is a shallow pervert, but I do think some of these instincts might arise when designing a character for a game. It's an issue I've noticed in gaming culture as a whole, as it's historically dominated by males: there simply aren't a lot of female protagonists in games who aren't sexy. This would simply be disappointing yet fair if it applied to men as well, but it doesn't; we have plenty of characters like Olimar, Dedede, Diddy Kong, Wario, Pac-Man, hell even Mario himself who are allowed to be goofy and fun with no regard whatsoever for sex appeal. None of the female characters in Smash except for Isabelle and Wendy have this sort of freedom with their character design--they're all smooth, slick, confident, and of course, very traditionally good-looking.

So what am I getting at here? Well, I guess it's obvious by now--they might just not see Dixie as worth it because there's a deeply rooted assumption in our culture that badass female characters are also hot. I mean, think about how many heroines in gaming there are and try to count the ones who fit more into the Donkey Kong mold than the Lara Croft one--there's just not a lot. I don't blame Sakurai or any of the Smash developers for this, and of course it's all speculative.

I understand this might offend some folks, but I truly think I'm on to something here.
>Implying that Isabelle isn’t smooth and confident

Poor girl needs a break.

Jokes aside, you got some good points there.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
The way I see it. There are multiple things that are going against Dixie Kong as a DLC candidate and things that might be reason to inspire hope.

Against:
- Nearly every newcomer for Smash 4 DLC was third-party with the exception of Corrin who was an advertisement. No long running Nintendo characters.
- Spirits might be deconfirmations (Piranha Plant is among the few things not to have a spirit).
- There is a Mii hat of Dixie Kong and so far there is no precedence of a character being promoted from a Mii costume to a playable character within the same game.
- Nintendo is deciding the DLC. and I think Nintendo choosing the DLC slots means they will go with third-party characters (particularly ones important to Nintendo's future success) and Nintendo advertisements (Fire Emblem Three Houses or Generation 8 Pokemon as two examples).

For:
- Dixie would at least have the benefit of being able to use Diddy Kong as a base and thus help expedite development in comparison to many other newcomer prospects.
- Tropical Freeze has no new tracks in Ultimate which might be suspicious to some.
- The presence of Ice Cave Chant (which is a weird music track to include for all of the Jungle themed DK stages).

There are a few things that could be used to inspire hope, but at the same time there are multiple factors telling us that things look dire for Dixie Kong's DLC prospects. I think after the first two newcomers (after Piranha Plant) for DLC are shown, we will know more about Dixie Kong's chances.
I agree with everything you said except that Bayonetta is a second-party character and she was DLC. The whole situation is confusing so I’ll do my best to explain.

Nintendo has a publishing deal with the IP holder Sega that no one knows the rights to exactly, but in short Bayonetta 2 and 3 are never going to a non-Nintendo platform and future games will share the same fate as long as Nintendo decides to continue publishing the franchise.

Bayonetta is now as much a Nintendo character as Kirby. Kirby is a character that is owned by HAL, and HAL has some kind of lifelong exclusivity deal with Nintendo, but isn’t a Nintendo subsidiary.

The only difference is that Nintendo has HAL on board completely as a second-party along with all of its franchises, while Nintendo only has Bayonetta as a second party franchise through the IP holder Sega.

It’s a confusing mess but Bayonetta is technically a second party character, not third-party. Reggie even said himself it’s a Nintendo franchise at this point.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't think this is what has been keeping Dixie out of Smash. You're right that this is an industry-wide issue, but Smash's roster is just a reflection of that, not the issue itself. I think what's kept Dixie out of Smash for so long is the same thing that kept K. Rool out of Smash for so long - whatever that is - and he only made it in because of an exceptionally high number of ballot votes.

And I dunno man, I think Mario is hella sexy.
If you're genuine about that last part, it reminded me of this fanart of Mario wearing his swim trunks costume for Mario Odyssey:

He looks like an actual handsome plumber that a lonely middle-aged woman might hire then start having a relationship with / an affair with her husband in one of those early 2000s daytime soap operas. Just look at those friendly eyes.

Picture it:

"It's-a me,"
*gently lifts your head up, those wonderful, loving blue eyes looking back at you and smiling*
"Mario..."

...what were we talking about? Oh yeah, Dixie Kong!

I'm still cautiously optimistic that Sakurai will add our favorite funny monkey, despite ChronoBound bringing up good points. I'm not sure if they'd be the first DLC character announced as I'm sure a completely new character would be a better headliner than a semi clone like Dixie might be, so unless I'm wrong they'll probably go with someone else first. I just hope that rumor that Sakurai initially tried to make Dixie an echo before realizing it wouldn't work is true, since maybe he'd feel that the fighter pass would give him another crack at it, this time being able to do it right.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
I have no reason to believe this will actually happen, but how great would it be if Nintendo revealed Retro's new game at the game awards, and that it was a new 3D Donkey Kong game, alongside a reveal trailer for Dixie Kong in Smash? I know this is extremely unlikely, but that would be the best possible announcment they could do for me lol.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
I have no reason to believe this will actually happen, but how great would it be if Nintendo revealed Retro's new game at the game awards, and that it was a new 3D Donkey Kong game, alongside a reveal trailer for Dixie Kong in Smash? I know this is extremely unlikely, but that would be the best possible announcment they could do for me lol.
It’s a lot more likely than you think. It’s funny how everyone’s talking about how Nintendo’s 2019 lineup is compared to their 2017 lineup, but people forget that we’ll get two to three surprise first party titles for next year, each being announced in a separate Direct.

This year alone during the January Direct we got Mario Tennis, the March Direct gave us Smash, before E3 we learned about Pokémon Let’s Go and E3 revealed Mario Party.

There’s gonna be at least two new game reveals slated for 2019 that won’t get revealed till a January or March Direct and one at E3.

Donkey Kong is the last big Nintendo IP left that doesn’t have a new game announcement on Switch outside of Star Fox, but there’s that rumored game.

Trust me I desperately want a 3D DK game. I’ve been requesting a sequel to DK64 for almost 20 years now. It’s literally my most anticipated game along with Banjo-Threeie, but I’ve given up on that.

If I was a betting man I’d say we’re going to finish the DKCR series with one more entry before we get a 3D game. I also think it’s very likely we get a DKCR HD on Switch so Nintendo can boast that they whole new DKC trilogy on Switch.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
I'm personally not expecting a Smash announcement at the VGA, at least for my own sanity, or if there is one, I'll assume it's Sephiroth or something to not get my hopes up too high. The game will be out literally just a few hours after the VGA, and I don't want to get too bogged down worrying about DLC when I'll have the genuine article in my Switch.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
I'm personally not expecting a Smash announcement at the VGA, at least for my own sanity, or if there is one, I'll assume it's Sephiroth or something to not get my hopes up too high. The game will be out literally just a few hours after the VGA, and I don't want to get too bogged down worrying about DLC when I'll have the genuine article in my Switch.
I think a DLC announcement at TGA is unlikely too.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone else think getting someone like Papa Genos to take a closer look at Dixie's chances would be a good way to get people who are against Dixie being DLC a reason to reconsider their stance? I feel like Dixie has about as much real evidence as characters like Geno or Sora at the very least.

Last edited:

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Call me K. Razy, but I think it’s very likely that we get a new DKC next year. Before the Tropical Freeze port to Switch, the last two mainline games were ported to the next system and then a new game was revealed at E3 and released a year later.

Jungle Beat ported to Wii in 2009. DKC Returns announced at E3 and released on Wii in 2010. DKC Returns 3D released on the 3DS in 2013. DKC Tropical Freeze announced at E3 and released in 2014. Tropical Freeze ported to the Switch in 2018. DKCR3 announced at E3 and releasing on Switch in 2019? Hopefully :)

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>Shulk walks around in skivvies and no one bats an eye
>Samus and Bayonetta strut their stuff, and everyone loses their minds

That being said, Nintendo's steadily running out of obvious drop-dead gorgeous lookers to add, seeing as the Inkling girl is used as the default Inkling, and Isabelle's in. Apart from Pauline, it should be still feminine, but not strictly adult or humanoid for the most part as far as female fighters go (granted, Xenoblade still has lookers, but that's to be expected).

Also, with the addition of Leaf as an alt and Daisy, I think we got one step closer from this becoming reality:

d80l93k-17bfe80e-2a3c-4ddf-80f0-54c982105c06.jpg

Well, give or take a few, RIP Paula and Kumatora, you won't be considered.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Call me K. Razy, but I think it’s very likely that we get a new DKC next year. Before the Tropical Freeze port to Switch, the last two mainline games were ported to the next system and then a new game was revealed at E3 and released a year later.

Jungle Beat ported to Wii in 2009. DKC Returns announced at E3 and released on Wii in 2010. DKC Returns 3D released on the 3DS in 2013. DKC Tropical Freeze announced at E3 and released in 2014. Tropical Freeze ported to the Switch in 2018. DKCR3 announced at E3 and releasing on Switch in 2019? Hopefully :)
Next year would be perfect for a Dkc game since it would be great way to celebrate 25 years of Dkc.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
>Shulk walks around in skivvies and no one bats an eye
>Samus and Bayonetta strut their stuff, and everyone loses their minds

That being said, Nintendo's steadily running out of obvious drop-dead gorgeous lookers to add, seeing as the Inkling girl is used as the default Inkling, and Isabelle's in. Apart from Pauline, it should be still feminine, but not strictly adult or humanoid for the most part as far as female fighters go.

Also, with the addition of Leaf as an alt and Daisy, I think we got one step closer from this becoming reality:

View attachment 181384

Great idea for a waifu fighter. We need Twintelle, Ribbon Girl, Elma, Pyra, Mythra, Jeanne etc. but a good start.

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
With everything we know it just seems so obvious to have a new DKC game and the return of K. Rool. Whether it happens or not is a different matter. If we can get a year for luigi though I don't see how we can't for DK/C

Vez

Smash Apprentice

I think there's at least some sort of DKC inspired game in the works. First party Nintendo has been weirdly embracing the franchise the past couple of years when in the past they've never done this at all. Even after the large success of Returns I feel like the game barely got any nods really. The only big nod I can remember is for Mario Kart 7 but that's because Retro helped on the game.

Meanwhile, these are the references to DKC that have been made by Nintendo titles (a lot of them first party) recently:

1.) For the very first time DKC1 appeared as a WarioWare minigame in the new title: WarioWare Gold.
2.) There's a reference to DKC1 in Splatoon 2. It was just randomly added in an update if I remember correctly. Very odd.
3.) Probably the obvious one that everyone knows about, Mario Odyssey makes a lot of references to old Rare DKC characters in New Donk City. I think what's most interesting here though is that there isn't a single reference to any of the Retro games. The fact they went with somebody like Rattly over Tiki Tong is crazy to me. Remember this is the same team that made Jungle Beat.
4.) The entire Donkey Kong Adventure DLC for Mario + Rabbids. At least shows that Nintendo is more onboard with making spin-off Donkey Kong stuff again.
5.) K. Rool in Smash. Yeah, this is mostly thanks to Sakurai but Nintendo still had to give the okay on it. They could have easily been like "nah, we're done with K. Rool".
6.) Not software related, but yeah we're getting a Donkey Kong Island section at Universal. This at least signals to me that Nintendo sees Donkey Kong as an important franchise going forward.

The Mario + Rabbids producer also talked about a "Donkey Kong team" during an interview. Originally I thought maybe this was just a small group of Nintendo employees that check to make sure Donkey Kong is being handled correctly, but I'm starting to wonder if there actually is a large group of people working on a game in-house. Which would be crazy.

Last edited:

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
With everything we know it just seems so obvious to have a new DKC game and the return of K. Rool. Whether it happens or not is a different matter. If we can get a year for luigi though I don't see how we can't for DK/C
Trust me we’re getting a new DK game by 2020 at the latest. There’s no way Nintendo’s gonna make us wait seven years for a new DK game. I think a new DK game is already complete but they wanted to release TF first and give it legs before the holiday season and won’t announce the next game until 2019. We’ve never waited longer than five years between DK games since the gap between the arcade games and Donkey Kong Country. Even during the buyout era we never had to wait long for releases.

I laugh whenever people say “Well Nintendo is gonna see how Tropical Freeze sells on the Switch before they make a new DKC.” That’s such idiotic logic that they’d have that mentality with their fourth best selling franchise. This isn’t Golden Sun or F-Zero or Pikmin. A new game was planned immediately after Tropical Freeze, but was held back due to the Wii U not being a viable platform. With the Wii U failing so hard we have to wait for TF to get a port on a succsssful platform before the next game so the new game got delayed. Who knows who the developer will be, but it’s ridiculous to think that Nintendo’s just gonna sit on one of their golden gooses for five plus years with no plan.

The DK franchise is in the best place it’s been in since Rare. We’re getting a theme park attraction and the only other IPs getting this treatment so far are Mario/Mario Kart, Zelda and Pokémon. I’m not worried.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
2.) There's a reference to DKC1 in Splatoon 2. It was just randomly added in an update if I remember correctly. Very odd.
Odd indeed. Maybe it's a clever way of telling us that the Splatoon team got their squidly hands on the DK IP! :crazy:

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Odd indeed. Maybe it's a clever way of telling us that the Splatoon team got their squidly hands on the DK IP! :crazy:
That would be hype. Although I’m not the biggest Splatoon fan, the games have so much charm that I could easily see the DK Crew fit in.

Everyone talks about Retro making the next DK game or Ubisoft, but I think that the next mainlane game will be made by Nintendo internally. They seem to finally get what makes DKC such a great and unique series separate from Mario and they’ve finally embraced Rare’s characters. I think when the next game comes out with the Kremlings, we can officially say the buy out era is over

Last edited:

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
On the bright (?) side, Retro is becoming increasingly unreliable at putting out games on a frequent basis, so they might be replaced at this rate. I honestly wonder how other devs would handle DK these days.
I'm really hoping we finally get another DK64 style game.
Super Mario Moonshine Odyssey was essentially a prototype for it anyway, since the whole game had us gathering bananas:

If we got a game like that coming out next year and Dixie was playable, we would almost be guaranteed to get her in Smash.

View attachment 181384

No Adeline or Kammy Koopa, lame.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I'm hungry for a new DK game, but i'm not optimistic. Didn't retro say that their next game is neither DK nor Metroid? I suppose someone else could do it, but I almost feel like Retro are the designated DKC devs now, and whatever it is they're working on is what's keeping the next DK game from starting development. But, that's probably just a baseless pessimistic theory.

In any case, if there is a new DK game in the worksm I hope Diddy and Dixie are playable in single player mode without it being part of a challenge mode and that K. Rool is involved somehow ( dare I dream that he's playable in a scenario where Kongs and Kremlings are forced to co-operate? ) And I'd take either a 2D game or a 3D game, as long as the control scheme is traditional and the collectibles are reasonable.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Solo? Or is Kiddie Kong returning? I'd rather just have Diddy and Dixie have starring roles again to be honest. I don't hate Kiddie, but I'm not really clamoring for his return.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Solo. She needs to save DK and Diddy from K Rool again. Maaaaybe Funky can come back in another Easy Mode, but Dixie has to be the star.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Tried out my redesign of Candy like I did the Dixie DLC image. I think I might try it out on all the Kongs!

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
I'm hungry for a new DK game, but i'm not optimistic. Didn't retro say that their next game is neither DK nor Metroid? I suppose someone else could do it, but I almost feel like Retro are the designated DKC devs now, and whatever it is they're working on is what's keeping the next DK game from starting development. But, that's probably just a baseless pessimistic theory.

In any case, if there is a new DK game in the worksm I hope Diddy and Dixie are playable in single player mode without it being part of a challenge mode and that K. Rool is involved somehow ( dare I dream that he's playable in a scenario where Kongs and Kremlings are forced to co-operate? ) And I'd take either a 2D game or a 3D game, as long as the control scheme is traditional and the collectibles are reasonable.
Retro has never been a dedicated studio for DK. They chose to make Tropical Freeze bc they had a lot of leftover ideas. Retro is a Nintendo mercenary squad more than a dedicated studio and their specialty is resurrecting damaged IPs, which is why I buy the notion of Star Fox Grand Prix.

We’ll probably see a new DK game at E3 2019 as a 25th celebration of the DKC series and ending the Country series on a bang before Nintendo reinvents Donkey Kong like they reinvented Mario and Zelda.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Hmmm. So I kinda whined about Tropical Freeze Switch Port at first, but now that i'm actually playing it, it's got me thinking that I wouldn't really mind if they also brought over the original DKCR, with a traditional control scheme. I know the option is there on 3DS, but i'll be real with you chief, there's no way i'm buying another 3DS game unless they manage to make an absolute must have 3DS exclusive. Would be neat if they retroactively put Dixie or K. Rool into those games as well ( didn't they originally want to add K. Rool to Tropical Freeze for Switch? ), just as long as they don't charge full price for it this time.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Do you guys think Tiny could work as an echo of Dixie when she eventually gets in, or does the whole shrinking thing make her too unique? I could definitely see them both fighting with mostly hair-based attacks as well as using the Gumball Blowgun and the feather gun from DK64, but Tiny's whole shrinking thing doesn't even seem like it could work in Smash to their advantage. I mean, we already have the Poison Shroom and it's obviously a detriment. Would be right to have Tiny in the game without that ability though? Personally I'd be fine if it meant we got more Kongs in the game.

I already brought this up on the Twitter as well as DK Vine, but didn't get much input. What do you guys think of Tiny anyway?

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Never really liked Tiny. She seemed to be a character created needlessly to fill the same role as Dixie. ( I feel similarly toward Chunky and DK ) and my opinion of her hasn't really been helped by that awkward redesign they gave her. Now she's just filler but with the uncomfortable problem that Candy Kong has of being shaped like an attractive human female instead of...well... an ape.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Do you guys think Tiny could work as an echo of Dixie when she eventually gets in, or does the whole shrinking thing make her too unique? I could definitely see them both fighting with mostly hair-based attacks as well as using the Gumball Blowgun and the feather gun from DK64, but Tiny's whole shrinking thing doesn't even seem like it could work in Smash to their advantage. I mean, we already have the Poison Shroom and it's obviously a detriment. Would be right to have Tiny in the game without that ability though? Personally I'd be fine if it meant we got more Kongs in the game.

I already brought this up on the Twitter as well as DK Vine, but didn't get much input. What do you guys think of Tiny anyway?
Shrinking can be fine as a FS that involves her automatically and quickly beating up opponents on various parts of their body, and finishing it with a Saxophone Slam. No need for transformation types that requires player input, that takes too much time. :ultbowser::ultwario::ultyoshi::ultsonic::ultdiddy:

Also, I don't mind her at all. Just wish she wasn't reduced to sports/racing game roster filler though.

Last edited:

Jasae Bushae

Smash Cadet

Honestly I think it wouldn't work because the differences between them are simply to huge.

Dixie Kong slouches forward with her knees bent slightly when she walks. She is the same height as Diddy. She uses her hair to pick up objects to throw. Ahw has the bubblegum pop shooter.

Tiny Kong stood up straight and face aside had almost no traits to associate her with the other Kongs. She was taller than Diddy https://www.mariowiki.com/File:KONGS.png Her main trait is the shrinking ability which she is named for, she used a crossbow as a weapon, and if all of that wasn't enough the Mario Sports games aged her up to a teenager whose the same height as Donkey Kong. https://www.mariowiki.com/File:Tiny_Kong_MSS_art.png

From hit boxes to the most basic mechanics the differences are simply to great.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
The way I see it, Tiny Kong is the reason Dixie Kong wasn't in DK64 and went on hiatus for a while. I reckon Dixie Kong would be even more relevant today if she was in DK64. Dixie may have already been in smash if it wasn't for Tiny. Just saying #logical conclusion

But really, I don't think Tiny would work as Dixie's echo. They're just so different... they only share their hovering ability and they even do that differently. They could do a Simon/Richter thing...but personally I would prefer just having Dixie do what she does best. Using her hair to attack, hover, grab and throw, blowing bubbles to paralyze, an endless supply of animal buddies... there's so much to use already. They could maybe incorporate Tiny into her final smash.... but I would actually prefer Kiddy Kong and the hover craft to reference the game she starred in.

GameXplain recently joked that Cranky Kong would be announced as DLC at the game awards. How would everyone feel if Cranky, Tiny or any other Kong got into smash before Dixie?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I way I see it. Tiny Kong is the reason Dixie Kong wasn't in DK64 and went on hiatus for a while. I reckon Dixie Kong would be even more relevant today if she was in DK64. Dixie may have already been in smash if it wasn't for Tiny. Just saying #logical conclusion

But really, I don't think Tiny would work as Dixie's echo. They're just so different... they only share their hovering ability and they even do that differently. They could do a Simon/Richter thing...but personally I would prefer just having Dixie do what she does best. Using her hair to attack, hover, grab and throw, blowing bubbles to paralyze, an endless supply of animal buddies... there's so much to use already. They could maybe incorporate Tiny into her final smash.... but I would actually prefer Kiddy Kong and the hover craft to reference the game she starred in.

GameXplain recently joked that Cranky Kong would be announced as DLC at the game awards. How would everyone feel if Cranky, Tiny or any other Kong got into smash before Dixie?
I love Cranky, but it would feel so wrong if him or any other Kong got in before Dixie. It would be like getting anybody from the secondary Mario cast in Smash like Wario, Daisy, or Waluigi before getting Peach which, would feel so wrong.

Last edited:

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
The way I look at it is for the DK series to have perfect representation we need Dixie, Cranky and Funky. It won’t happen, but those are the last truly deserving DK characters like how Toad/Toadette and Waluigi are the last deserving Mario characters.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
I'd gladly take Cranky as an AT and Funky as an Echo. At least Cranky's still a silhouette in the hut of Jungle Japes.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I'd accept Cranky. I think Dixie should get in over him, but Cranky is a great character and I'd argue the most "core" Kong after Donkey and Diddy in a way.

Funky should only be added if he's an echo, though. I'd be pretty annoyed if he got in as a proper newcomer over the likes of Dixie and Cranky. He's a decently important DK character but I don't think he's so important that not having him on the Smash roster feels wrong.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I love Cranky, but it would feel so wrong if him or any other Kong got in before Dixie. It would be like getting anybody from the secondary Mario cast in Smash like Wario, Daisy, or Waluigi before getting Peach which, would feel so wrong.
We say that but here we are with Piranah Plant before Toad/Captain Toad/Toadette or Waluigi. Yes I know "hur-hur Waluigi is spin-off fodder" and "Piranah Plant was in the first SMB game so he gets seniority" bullcrap, I say! Seniority my ass he's still a generic mook and nothing more in my mind. Yeah he has a cool moveset but still doesn't negate the fact that he's a generic enemy that can be killed by a single fireball.

That being said I would LOVE Cranky but I don't want him over Dixie. However if we do get Cranky I definitely won't complain and it would be hilarious if he was revealed at the Game Awards again just for the memes and angry backlash.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
We say that but here we are with Piranah Plant before Toad/Captain Toad/Toadette or Waluigi. Yes I know "hur-hur Waluigi is spin-off fodder" and "Piranah Plant was in the first SMB game so he gets seniority" bullcrap, I say! Seniority my *** he's still a generic mook and nothing more in my mind. Yeah he has a cool moveset but still doesn't negate the fact that he's a generic enemy that can be killed by a single fireball.

That being said I would LOVE Cranky but I don't want him over Dixie. However if we do get Cranky I definitely won't complain and it would be hilarious if he was revealed at the Game Awards again just for the memes and angry backlash.
The way I see it is Dixie is the most deserving, Cranky has the best moveset potential and Funky would be the easiest to add as an echo.

Cranky would be super hype I’m not gonna lie. There’s no Smash character that’s out of their prime so Cranky’s got that going. His Down B could be a pogo bounce like Shovel Knight, Neutral B would be denture popguns, his Side B would be throwing barrels like in the arcade game, his Up B could be Squawks carrying him and his final Smash would be him drinking a youth potion and transforming into arcade DK.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Regarding Cranky Kong, this is what a couple of us said in the Cranky Kong support thread:

I support Cranky but only after Dixie is added. HOWEVER if Nintendo comes to the Game Awards this year and reveals Cranky as the first Smash Ultimate DLC fighter. I will accept it simply for the outrage, salt, memes, and laughter to be had on the internet for YEARS to come. We gotta recapture that 2013 spirit!
I want this gif to make the rounds again

Top Bottom