• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
We did catch the attention of Steve Mayles today with the Dixie in Mario Tennis post so that's pretty cool!

Nevermind it was already posted :laugh:
No, I'm glad you brought it up again. Steve liking the post of your artwork actually net me a few more followers. From now on I'll try to remember to @ him every time I post about Dixie Kong.

I'm at 82 followers now--pretty close to 100! When I hit that milestone, I'll have to do something special. No idea what, though.

Anyway, every retweet helps, guys. Really appreciate the support on the Twitter. Someday we'll be in the leagues of the Kremling Kampaigner!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I do not like to talk discipline about other users publically, but cybersai ignoring private messages I sent him on the matter gives me little choice.

His very annoying shilling for Dixie Kong on GameFAQs is turning others into disliking the character:
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77255377

Please cybersai, if you are reading this please cease and desist. You are turning people away from Dixie Kong.

The Animator

Smash Journeyman
I've been binging Donkey Kong games lately. I want to finally finish DK64 before Smash Ultimate comes out, but I also picked up the Switch port of Tropical Freeze after my Wii U broke, and have also been playing that... and also watching the cartoon series since it's on youtube...it's a guilty pleasure...

And the thought came to me that I really want another game in which Diddy and Dixie are the stars. When I was a kid, I was kind of annoyed that DK wasn't in the sequel to my favorite SNES game, so I didn't ask my parents to get it for me. Well after revisiting the game years later I certainly feel foolish. ( Not to mention Diddy Kong Racing ended up being better than Mario Kart 64 imo. ) Diddy and Dixie are such a cool team, and now that DK has been in the spotlight for every game for several years now, I actually wouldn't mind him being out of the spotlight again... Besides that, im annoyed nowdays that Diddy, Dixie, and even Cranky seem to be more like power ups for Donkey Kong than they are supporting characters.
That was by biggest complaint with Tropical Freeze, I liked having two characters with slightly different Gameplay. The way they are treated now depreciates them as characters. And I think that may be the biggest obstacle hurting Dixie's chances at getting in Smash. Unless we are getting a new DK game next year, with her playing a more prominent role, I just don't see Nintendo picking her as a requested DLC character.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I do not like to talk discipline about other users publically, but cybersai ignoring private messages I sent him on the matter gives me little choice.

His very annoying shilling for Dixie Kong on GameFAQs is turning others into disliking the character:

Please cybersai, if you are reading this please cease and desist. You are turning people away from Dixie Kong.
I think this is definitely something that should be left for PMs. If they want to ignore you it’s their choice.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Tbf to Cybersai I've never actually seen him do anything that bad on there. Gamefaqs just hates on everyone. The amount K. Rool got was rediculous but now everyone claims it was only a few people and he was universally loved which certainly wasn't true from the posts there.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608

I do understand cybersai as I've been asking for Dixie Kong since Melee. I think that everyone has a right to say what's on their minds, as long as no one is insulted.
You really have to admit that there are many troll posts out there and some just want you to become aggressive because of all the garbage they write on a forum like gameFAQ.
And I don't think that CS is turning anybody away from dixie. If you truly care for the character, you will support the character...I mean he didn't make me dislike Dixie :-)

I think that's something that is comparable to the "Dixie Kong, the last Nintendo all-star" headline with some people not agreeing with that, but no one is harmed and this our opinion, so why would we change it?

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
The problem is people are being stupid or purposly taking 'the last nintendo all star' out of context. They are trying to claim that we mean she is the most popular character full stop. They don't seem to understand we're suggesting she's the last credible character with the credentials that's hasn't been deconfirmed to still be called an all star that's not in the game already.

Last edited:

Vez

Smash Apprentice
Cybersai is definitely a troll. If you've seen some of his posts on places like IGN and ResetERA you'd know what I mean. I think he's at least genuine about wanting Dixie, though.

In the end I don't really care what he does considering Daisy, K. Rool and Ridley's fanbases were looked at negatively by a chunk of the Smash base as well and those characters are all in now. Waluigi seems to be the new one that everyone dumps on but I bet he makes it next game.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
What I’ve learned over the years is that people are completely ignorant over sales of some of Nintendo’s franchises. If you go anywhere on the Internet all you’ll ever see is people worshipping Metroid and yet it’s one of Nintendo’s worst selling franchises. It only sells slightly better than Star Fox and even that’s debatable bc it has many more games than Star Fox.

I’m personally not a Metroid hater. I respect it, but the series doesn’t do anything for me and I’ve tried it multiple times. I prefer Castlevania games.

On the other end of the spectrum, Donkey Kong is Nintendo’s fourth best selling active franchise (Wii franchise is dead) and Kirby is Nintendo’s fifth best selling franchise. I’ve learned that people are completely unaware of how big of sellers these franchises are and that’s why Waddle Dee and Dixie are what I’d view as the biggest omissions from the roster bc both franchises have only three reps and are missing two massively popular and recurring characters they did very well on the ballot.

Animal Crossing is also becoming a juggernaut for Nintendo and has it’s two biggest characters in Smash. Tom Nook would be a cool inclusion too.

For me in order to be a Smash character, you have to be a recurring character in your franchise. There are three franchises that have exceptions to this rule being Pokémon, Xenoblade and Fire Emblem, but I think all other franchises should follow this rule. Therefore Dixie Kong, Waddle Dee, Tom Nook, Toad and Waluigi are what I’d view as the last true Nintendo all-stars.

I get annoyed by Zelda fans whining about not having enough characters. Zelda has six characters. That’s twice as much as DK and Kirby, the next best-selling Nintendo IPs. I do agree that Ganonforf being a Captain Falcon clone is terrible for how awesome of a character he is. I also understand people complaining about having three Links, but six characters is still a lot and Zelda only has four recurring characters being Link, Zelda, Ganon and Impa. Besides Impa being absent and a questionable Ganondorf moveset, the Zelda series is better represented than most Nintendo franchises.

Last edited:

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I'm a huge Zelda fan and I'm honestly pretty satisfied with how the franchise has been handled, Ganondorf aside. Stage and item wise Zelda gets a lot of love and Link, Zelda and Ganondorf have all received some big changes this time around and I can't wait to try them all out. I'd be fine with someone like Impa but at the same time I never cared for her all that much because she's completely different in every game and she's still just a minor character that appears in multiple games to me. Even a character like Funky has more reason to be in Smash Bros. than Impa as he's actually been playable multiple times before and I'd argue is more important to his franchise, but I digress.

Also, I'll just say that Donkey Kong isn't even my favorite franchise (but it's probably top five) and it's the only one I really talk about a lot on the site because it's the only one I've always felt never received the attention that it deserved. I already have the other characters I care about in Smash, like the main Mario cast, the Triforce trio, King Dedede etc. since Melee and Brawl so the main Donkey Kong cast (or I guess at this point, specifically Dixie) is the only thing I'm particularly passionate about.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I get annoyed by Zelda fans whining about not having enough characters. Zelda has six characters. That’s twice as much as DK and Kirby, the next best-selling Nintendo IPs. I do agree that Ganonforf being a Captain Falcon clone is terrible for how awesome of a character he is. I also understand people complaining about having three Links, but six characters is still a lot and Zelda only has four recurring characters being Link, Zelda, Ganon and Impa. Besides Impa being absent and a questionable Ganondorf moveset, the Zelda series is better represented than most Nintendo franchises.
While I like Zelda it's definitely not in my top 5 Nintendo series. But I agree I don't see why Zelda fans complain when they got a MASSIVE amount of stages/items as well as a good variety in music selection to compensate for the fact they essentially only have 3 REAL characters. Not to mention Ghirahim, Midna, Tingle, Skull Kid, The Moon are all assist trophies. Where as us DK fans took 5 games before we even got 1 assist trophy. I'm not trying to compare franchises but it's the truth. Also while I do want Impa playable, I also say Tingle is also a reocurring character and has even starred in 3 games of his own. I know not a lot of people like Tingle but I personally love the guy and wish he wasn't an assist trophy because in my mind he's definitely the most deserving next Zelda rep IMO.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
While I like Zelda it's definitely not in my top 5 Nintendo series. But I agree I don't see why Zelda fans complain when they got a MASSIVE amount of stages/items as well as a good variety in music selection to compensate for the fact they essentially only have 3 REAL characters. Not to mention Ghirahim, Midna, Tingle, Skull Kid, The Moon are all assist trophies. Where as us DK fans took 5 games before we even got 1 assist trophy. I'm not trying to compare franchises but it's the truth. Also while I do want Impa playable, I also say Tingle is also a reocurring character and has even starred in 3 games of his own. I know not a lot of people like Tingle but I personally love the guy and wish he wasn't an assist trophy because in my mind he's definitely the most deserving next Zelda rep IMO.
I forgot about Tingle! Although he isn’t in every Zelda game, he definitely is a recurring character and would be a great troll character. I’m just not a fan of one off characters like Midna, Ghirahim or Skull Kid (yes I know he was in Ocarina) being playable fighters in Smash. The exceptions I noted being Pokémon, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade are because they have a rotating cast of characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Therefore Dixie Kong, Waddle Dee, Tom Nook, Toad and Waluigi are what I’d view as the last true Nintendo all-stars.
I would add Pig Ganon to that list because he is as much or more of a Nintendo all star as Ganondorf and I'll list my reasons why:

1. Unlike Ganondorf, he has been in the series since the beginning.

2. He has appeared in more games than Ganondorf.

3. While Ganondorf and Ganon are technically the same character in canon, their personalities, planning, and attacks are very different.

4. Ganondorf in All Star Mode is listed in the late 90s section of the cast, which means Smash Bros. is not counting him as Pig Ganon from the older Zelda games at all.

5. There are 3 different versions of Link in the game, so why can't we have 2 different versions of Ganon?

6. Pig Ganon could finally give us a version of Ganon with a original moveset which, is even a better reason why he should be in the roster.

7. He is the first antagonist in the whole series.

And that is the list of reasons why I believe Pig Ganon should be a playable character in Smash Bros..

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
Ganon is actually a really good character that gets left out when people complain about calling Dixie the Last Nintendo All Star

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I forgot about Tingle! Although he isn’t in every Zelda game, he definitely is a recurring character and would be a great troll character. I’m just not a fan of one off characters like Midna, Ghirahim or Skull Kid (yes I know he was in Ocarina) being playable fighters in Smash. The exceptions I noted being Pokémon, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade are because they have a rotating cast of characters.
In terms of recurring characters, Zelda isn't like FE or XB but it isn't like DK or Mario either.

Zelda has a rotating cast of characters, too, even if it is not exactly the same way or to the same extent as other series. One offs are more important in Zelda for that reason. Many Zelda characters are also very recognizable and notable even if they're just one off. Zelda is just that big of a series. I'm not biased or anything, proven by me saying I'm not biased or anything, but Midna is a very deserving character who was a main character in Twilight Princess and was in the best selling Zelda game preBOTW. She was robbed but one day, her day will come.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
Classic pig Ganon is probably the best suggestion I've seen for a new Zelda character but I'm not expecting it to happen. Ganon's kind of become more than just a human or pig thanks to BotW, and I think to most people Ganondorf is seen as the default or true form of the character even if he did originally start off as the pig.

StormC

Smash Hero
You could make a serious argument that these are the biggest Nintendo characters not on the playable roster:

1. Dixie Kong
2. Bandana Dee
3. Toad
4. Ganon
5. Tom Nook

Whether or not these characters should be in is another argument, but I would feel comfortable saying those are Nintendo's big missing five at the moment.

Personally don't ever expect to see a Zelda one-off character that isn't an easy echo or something. Midna might as well be Cappy to Sakurai.

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Nah, To me settling for just Ganondorf feels like settling for Bowser Junior but Bowser is only in as part of Bowser Junior's final Smash.

Also I feel like needing to be a recurring character is a needless arbitrary rule that would just keep good characters out of Smash. And I certainly don't think sales should be the deciding factor of who deserves to get in. That's just as bad as relevancy.

Last edited:

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
What Nintendo franchises besides DK do you think deserves another rep? I’m talking about a series that has three or less reps. I’m gonna say F-Zero and Yoshi are the only franchises from the original game that doesn’t have another fighter. Yoshi’s problem is that there aren’t many candidates except maybe Poochy and Kamek I guess. Also Baby Bowser could be a skin for Bowser Jr.

F-Zero should add Black Shadow as an echo of Captain Falcon and he should play exactly like Melee Ganondorf. I’d love for Samurai Goroh to be added, but he’s an assist trophy.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That was by biggest complaint with Tropical Freeze, I liked having two characters with slightly different Gameplay. The way they are treated now depreciates them as characters. And I think that may be the biggest obstacle hurting Dixie's chances at getting in Smash. Unless we are getting a new DK game next year, with her playing a more prominent role, I just don't see Nintendo picking her as a requested DLC character.
On the bright (?) side, Retro is becoming increasingly unreliable at putting out games on a frequent basis, so they might be replaced at this rate. I honestly wonder how other devs would handle DK these days.

Also I feel like needing to be a recurring character is a needless arbitrary rule that would just keep good characters out of Smash. And I certainly don't think sales should be the deciding factor of who deserves to get in. That's just as bad as relevancy.
This. I mean, there's a support thread for Geno on this very board, and he sure doesn't show up a lot in Mario.

What Nintendo franchises besides DK do you think deserves another rep? I’m talking about a series that has three or less reps. I’m gonna say F-Zero and Yoshi are the only franchises from the original game that doesn’t have another fighter. Yoshi’s problem is that there aren’t many candidates except maybe Poochy and Kamek I guess. Also Baby Bowser could be a skin for Bowser Jr.

F-Zero should add Black Shadow as an echo of Captain Falcon and he should play exactly like Melee Ganondorf. I’d love for Samurai Goroh to be added, but he’s an assist trophy.
Wario. No Syrup, no employee friends, no mercy. It's almost a crime how much he's been passed over.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero

Aside from DK with Dixie Kong, the only other series that is really lacking a series critical character is Kirby with Bandana Dee. Toad/Captain Toad/Toadette is also very long overdue.

People constantly say Zelda but ignore the fact that there are no re-occurring characters left to put in aside from Ganon, Impa, and maybe Tingle (who has not been in the Zelda series since 2004's Minish Cap). Pig Ganon (the Blue Pig demon) is the most obvious choice in my opinion for another fully unique fighter, while Impa would be a fantastic choice for a clone or echo fighter of Sheik. However, I see very few people rallying around Ganon though. Instead it seems 80% is rallying behind Skull Kid (bandwagoners...).

I am probably one of the biggest fans of F-Zero on this entire site (I even imported F-Zero Climax), but I think F-Zero is fine as it is due to the fact the series has not had a game released since 2004.

Veteran franchises at this point are very well represented and I would say there are no new series that needed to be added in either (Rhythm Heaven definitely needs at least a stage and an Assist Trophy though).

Last edited:

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace

Wario for sure. The extended Warioware cast is too got not to have someone else from that series in the game somewhere... though honestly, Ashley would be my last pick. 9-volt, Jimmy T, and Mona would be my frontrunners. And let's not forget Wario Land, with Captain Syrup being the most obvious choice.

Unlike Wario and DK, I feel like Yoshi isn't far removed from Mario enough to be considered it's own series, so I honestly don't know if I think the series needs more characters, but I wouldn't really be opposed to it... though the only character I could see would be Kamek. But he's almost more of a Mario character than he is a "yoshi" character these days. Maybe Baby Mario could be another choice... I just can't see Poochy.

F-Zero would be another choice of mine. But I think they only really need one more character, and it's between Goroh, or Black Shadow.

Also, Star Fox. Krystal would really round out the Star Fox roster nicely, especially if she ended up being the first Star Fox character to not use the same moveset as Fox but modified.

Last edited:

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Wario for sure. The extended Warioware cast is too got not to have someone else from that series in the game somewhere... though honestly, Ashley would be my last pick. 9-volt, Jimmy T, and Mona would be my frontrunners. And let's not forget Wario Land, with Captain Syrup being the most obvious choice.

Unlike Wario and DK, I feel like Yoshi isn't far removed from Mario enough to be considered it's own series, so I honestly don't know if I think the series needs more characters, but I wouldn't really be opposed to it... though the only character I could see would be Kamek. But he's almost more of a Mario character than he is a "yoshi" character these days. Maybe Baby Mario could be another choice... I just can't see Poochy.

F-Zero would be another choice of mine. But I think they only really need one more character, and it's between Goroh, or Black Shadow.

Also, Star Fox. Krystal would really round out the Star Fox roster nicely, especially if she ended up being the first Star Fox character to not use the same moveset as Fox but modified.
Krystal seems like the obvious choice for Star Fox due to popularity and moveset, but she won’t have a chance till the next game.

I agree with you on Yoshi. It is too close to Mario as a series to get its own character but I stand by on having Baby Bowser as a Bowser Jr. skin to compensate.

F-Zero is a favorite series of mine and Captain Falcon is so iconic within Smash that it feels wrong for him not to have a rival. Plus I just really want a Switch F-Zero game. F-Zero NX is too good a name to be passed on lol

Inklings should get Octolings as an echo. I’ve never played Pikmin so I can’t comment on that series though.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Inklings should get Octolings as an echo. I’ve never played Pikmin so I can’t comment on that series though.
Shame echoes seemed to be done with. I wanted Louie from the Pikmin series to be a Olimar echo. Switch the Purple Pikmin with a Rock Pikmin it does a bit more damage and have Louie a little slower than Olimar and that would be enough to justify Louie as an Olimar echo in my mind. Really is a shame Sakurai didn't go a bit further with the echo concept. I get time constraints and all that but man I just think..

Inklings/Octolings
Olimar/Louie
Palutena/Medusa
Captain Falcon/Black Shadow
Bowser/Mobus
Isabelle/Digby (though this would be STRETCHING cause Isabelle is a glorified echo of Villager already)
Pikachu/Raichu
King K.Rool/ Lord Fredrick
Luigi/Dr. Luigi
Zelda/Hilda
Donkey Kong/Funky Kong
Ganondorf/Demise

Ahh what could've been....

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Shame echoes seemed to be done with. I wanted Louie from the Pikmin series to be a Olimar echo. Switch the Purple Pikmin with a Rock Pikmin it does a bit more damage and have Louie a little slower than Olimar and that would be enough to justify Louie as an Olimar echo in my mind. Really is a shame Sakurai didn't go a bit further with the echo concept. I get time constraints and all that but man I just think..

Inklings/Octolings
Olimar/Louie
Palutena/Medusa
Captain Falcon/Black Shadow
Bowser/Mobus
Isabelle/Digby (though this would be STRETCHING cause Isabelle is a glorified echo of Villager already)
Pikachu/Raichu
King K.Rool/ Lord Fredrick
Luigi/Dr. Luigi
Zelda/Hilda
Donkey Kong/Funky Kong
Ganondorf/Demise

Ahh what could've been....
I still think that a lot of those echoes could happen. I’m still not ruling out echoes as free DLC down the road. Sakurai simply stated that they’re not part of the Fighter Pass, not that echoes are completely done for.

Just cause a Nintendo game has paid DLC, doesn’t mean it won’t get free DLC too. Look at Splatoon and Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Echoes are just a perfect way to promote a new game like Jeanne for Bayonetta 3 or Funky Kong for the next DK game.

Nintendo could have a small separate team developing echoes and releasing one or two a quarter. Think how Mario Tennis Aces handles its DLC, but less frequently.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I think if we do get echoes, the Smash team will have absolutely no problem with charging us for them. Remember last time when they charged us for Mii costumes?

GravelerChamp60

Smash Apprentice

The most
DK: After such a long phase of neglect I think Sakurai owes us both Dixie and K. Rool by now. And Dixie is not only the most important all star to yet be included, but she has been around for two generations past and present. There are a ton of people that recognize her compared to more obscure characters that have already made it to game and some with very obscure merits.
Kirby most definitely needs Bandana Dee.
F-Zero would be fine with an echo at the very least.
Yoshi is understandable why it only has it's main rep, but it could also use it's main villain Kamek or Poochy.

Other franchises that are a hit or miss
Animal Crossing: AC should always have newcomers based on its popularity, but the franchise is allright for now with it's two most popular characters.
Sonic: I don't understand how Sonic missed out on Shadow, but Streetfighter and Castlevania both got an echo fighter!
Zelda: I would love to see a brand new fighter for this franchise, but there are other franchises who need it.
Wario: This franchise doesn't exactly have the best merits to grab a newcomer compared to other franchises already mentioned, but Ashley has picked up steam and has one of the biggest fanbases to date so that alone should give her the chance to be considered as a fighter.
Starfox: Starfox may also not have the most impressive merits, but just like DK, it is missing it's most iconic female character who was also coincidentally created by Rare! The only difference is that Starfox is not as profitable and popular as DK, but Krystal should definitely be considered in the future.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think if we do get echoes, the Smash team will have absolutely no problem with charging us for them. Remember last time when they charged us for Mii costumes?
That’s true
I will say it's a good thing they don't care much about actual character costumes, it would go downhill really fast in terms of selling them, as Dead Or Alive showed. Imagine paying 5 bucks for every costume Mario would get from Odyssey, for example.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
interesting how baby mario never gets brought up as a potential yoshi rep

i mean yeah he's another mario and the moveset potential's pretty thin but he's still a prominent character and fairly popular due to mario spinoffs

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
Personally, the only way I'd be okay with Baby Mario is if he was part of a team with Baby Luigi... but that would make them more of Mario & Luigi RPG characters than Yoshi characters.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Poochy would be wonderful in Smash.

Hey so guys, I've been thinking, and I think I might have come to a possible conclusion as to why Dixie isn't in Smash. Now, this gets a little tinfoil hatty and it might be pretty controversial, but look at all of the female characters we have in Smash. How many of them are sexy girls, and how many are more on the cartoony side like King Dedede and the like? I've noticed that we really don't have a lot of variety in the visual department when it comes to female characters. Pretty much all of them are slim, sexy, human women. Why?

I went through and checked out all of the female characters we have in Smash to count how many are more cartoony/goofy than cute/sexy. If you don't count avatar characters who are just there to represent a game or concept rather than a specific person (Inkling, Villager, Miis), as well as the Pokemon, we're left with...Wendy and Isabelle. A skin and a semi-clone. That's it.

Now look, I'm not saying Sakurai or anyone on the Smash dev team is a shallow pervert, but I do think some of these instincts might arise when designing a character for a game. It's an issue I've noticed in gaming culture as a whole, as it's historically dominated by males: there simply aren't a lot of female protagonists in games who aren't sexy. This would simply be disappointing yet fair if it applied to men as well, but it doesn't; we have plenty of characters like Olimar, Dedede, Diddy Kong, Wario, Pac-Man, hell even Mario himself who are allowed to be goofy and fun with no regard whatsoever for sex appeal. None of the female characters in Smash except for Isabelle and Wendy have this sort of freedom with their character design--they're all smooth, slick, confident, and of course, very traditionally good-looking.

So what am I getting at here? Well, I guess it's obvious by now--they might just not see Dixie as worth it because there's a deeply rooted assumption in our culture that badass female characters are also hot. I mean, think about how many heroines in gaming there are and try to count the ones who fit more into the Donkey Kong mold than the Lara Croft one--there's just not a lot. I don't blame Sakurai or any of the Smash developers for this, and of course it's all speculative.

I understand this might offend some folks, but I truly think I'm on to something here.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
its probably got more to do with most of nintendo's important female characters being in the "adult humanoid" category than the smash devs themselves. like there's isabelle, dixie kong, maybe toadette, but that's about it (possibly you could count inkling since the girl variant seems to be preferred for promotional purposes)

StormC

Smash Hero
we have plenty of characters like Olimar, Dedede, Diddy Kong, Wario, Pac-Man, hell even Mario himself who are allowed to be goofy and fun with no regard whatsoever for sex appeal.
Wario is sexier than any female character on the roster.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

Hey so guys, I've been thinking, and I think I might have come to a possible conclusion as to why Dixie isn't in Smash. Now, this gets a little tinfoil hatty and it might be pretty controversial, but look at all of the female characters we have in Smash. How many of them are sexy girls, and how many are more on the cartoony side like King Dedede and the like? I've noticed that we really don't have a lot of variety in the visual department when it comes to female characters. Pretty much all of them are slim, sexy, human women. Why?

I went through and checked out all of the female characters we have in Smash to count how many are more cartoony/goofy than cute/sexy. If you don't count avatar characters who are just there to represent a game or concept rather than a specific person (Inkling, Villager, Miis), as well as the Pokemon, we're left with...Wendy and Isabelle. A skin and a semi-clone. That's it.

Now look, I'm not saying Sakurai or anyone on the Smash dev team is a shallow pervert, but I do think some of these instincts might arise when designing a character for a game. It's an issue I've noticed in gaming culture as a whole, as it's historically dominated by males: there simply aren't a lot of female protagonists in games who aren't sexy. This would simply be disappointing yet fair if it applied to men as well, but it doesn't; we have plenty of characters like Olimar, Dedede, Diddy Kong, Wario, Pac-Man, hell even Mario himself who are allowed to be goofy and fun with no regard whatsoever for sex appeal. None of the female characters in Smash except for Isabelle and Wendy have this sort of freedom with their character design--they're all smooth, slick, confident, and of course, very traditionally good-looking.

So what am I getting at here? Well, I guess it's obvious by now--they might just not see Dixie as worth it because there's a deeply rooted assumption in our culture that badass female characters are also hot. I mean, think about how many heroines in gaming there are and try to count the ones who fit more into the Donkey Kong mold than the Lara Croft one--there's just not a lot. I don't blame Sakurai or any of the Smash developers for this, and of course it's all speculative.

I understand this might offend some folks, but I truly think I'm on to something here.
I doubt this has anything to do with Dixie or the character selection, more of an industry issue. but you are right. Female character designs traditionally have less range in terms of what they can be. Sexy/"good looking" or kawaii/cute basically covers a lot of female characters. Mostly goofy female character like Dixie are rarer.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

I don't think this is what has been keeping Dixie out of Smash. You're right that this is an industry-wide issue, but Smash's roster is just a reflection of that, not the issue itself. I think what's kept Dixie out of Smash for so long is the same thing that kept K. Rool out of Smash for so long - whatever that is - and he only made it in because of an exceptionally high number of ballot votes.

And I dunno man, I think Mario is hella sexy.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
I was in a chat with a YouTuber named PlayerEssence who’s a friend of mine. He has some credible sources and knew that Smash was going to be called Ultimate and that the game would bring back all characters from the past including Snake before E3.

He keeps telling me that Rex will be a DLC charcter. Although he has sources, that may be wishful thinking bc he’s a Xenoblade fanboy. But if he was right, then it’d prove my theory correct that Mii costumes help a character’s chances rather than hurt them due to the dev team reusing the assets. So if he’s right and Rex is in, then I think Dixie is a safe bet.

Everyone talks about who should and shouldn’t be DLC, but people forget that adding Dixie Kong is probably the easiest newcomer Nintendo could add outside of echoes.

Most other characters would need to be built from the ground up, while Dixie can easily use DK and Diddy’s moveset as a base. For example Diddy’s peanut popgun can be replaced be her bubblegum popgun. Also her recovery could be DK’s but with her hair and her down B could be the ground pound but with her hair like in Tropical Freeze. I think it’d be cool if her moveset was a hybrid between DK and Diddy.

I know that Sakurai said that they’re going to build all characters from the ground up, but Dixie’s advantage over all other DLC newcomers is that she’d be the easiest character to make. Plus the dev team knows that not having a Retro DK stage in the game is a glaring omission.

Also Isabelle has proved that semiclones are still a thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom