• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Regardless of what we discuss, Dixie has a superior resume to all the other Echo Fighters revealed so far, and that's a fact.

The only character who can come close is :ultrichter:, and his situation is unique, as he's a 3rd party who partially inspired the moveset of his home character and so basically got in out of respect.

:ultdarkpit: was Uprising advertising and the simplest character of all time to create for Smash, with differences so subtle he's about one hair short of an alt costume. He's literally born from Pit in the game, so emulating his source character is expected. Plus Sakurai made him, so "why not?". Now Everyone Is Here means he returns. His resume? Minor antagonist in one game with a few hours of screen time.

:ultchrom::ultlucina: come from one game which already has an appropriate representative. The game's incredible success, Chrom's big Smash 4 push, and the ability to clone them easily from existing fighters with minimal changes earned them a spot. They even share a sword with each other.

:ultdarksamus: is debatable, but she's a genetic copy of Samus twisted by the Metroid Prime and Phazon. Making her a clone, when she is canonically, in fact, a clone, makes sense. Her lack of unique abilities hurts her, but the majority of her character is captured by tweaking her animations, so Echo is decent enough to do the job. Her resume? An antagonist in two games, but with limited screen time in the Dark Samus form. Not farfetched to be Echo.

:ultdaisy: Edit: I forgot Daisy in this description. Daisy is all show but very little substance. She's been in more games than most of the Echoes we have combined, but does very little in said games to distinguish herself in any meaningful way as a potential fighter. She's always been more or less "Peach, with a flower theme and a tomboy twist" and little more. Her only main series role was just being a 3rd Pauline who spent most of her screentime turned into a monster. She's an Echo because being a Peach alt undersells the personality she's built up in the side games, but as a fighter, you'd be hard pressed to make her distinguished without forcing it. So Echo she is.

Hell, if you want to consider Ken a lock, he was literally created to be a Ryu copy. He is Echo Fighter incarnate. He has a big resume, but being a clone is what Ken is about. Thus, Echo.

:ultisabelle: wasn't an echo not only because she doesn't share enough traits with Villager, but also because her resume is too impressive to be relegated to such a role. More than the AC games, she's a new Nintendo mascot who's been appearing in crossovers. Plus AC deserves 2 unique fighters anyway.

We should stop focusing on body type and start focusing on things like this. Its a celebration of gaming history with Nintendo. The bigger your Nintendo/gaming resume, the more justice you earn. You can bet that a "Fire Emblem Awakening 2" could justify a semi clone Chromcina. Or "Kid Icarus: Dark Uprising" with Dark Pit in a starring role, ditto. Character resumes are important.

And Dixie has a great one. If she got in as an Echo, she'd be the most significant Echo BY FAR, to the point where, while you could say the others probably wouldn't have had enough punch to make it in at all without Echo status, Dixie would be the only one you could legitimately say is being undersold in this role.

Dark Samus, maybe, but again, she's a Samus copy in her home game and her abilities are not wildly different from Samus outside of Phazon effects/attacks (has em), floating (got it), otherworldly animations (yep) and an ice and warp attack (only things not included).

Our current Echoes got in because it was probably their only shot at this point. Dixie doesn't have this problem.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Still hoping Dixie was simply forgotten by the leaker, or that the leaker included wrong information (like they sometimes do). Smash Ultimate without Dixie Kong isn't truly ultimate. She is adorable, has loads of potential for moveset, she comes from a massively popular series and is also the go-to playable peep in one of the most popular, and considered the best platformer of all time by many (DKC2).

Heck, I will take a Chrom-like echo fighter over no Dixie.

Honestly if we get the rumored Pokémon and not Dixie, that will be my first disappointment with this game, which so far is shaping up to be stellar and a massive improvement over Smash 4 (in terms of newcomers). I have no complaints so far, and I want things to stay this way.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
maybe this thread is just poisoning my expectations but i actually feel like a dixie echo is the least likely possible scenario for her at this point. i'd say most likely is dlc, then not in the game at all, then unique at launch, then echo.

semi-related but i've noticed from a lot of people speculating that dixie kong is more often a character people expect and not as much a character people actively want. in fact i've seen quite a few people actively NOT want her. its a little disheartening tbh.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
maybe this thread is just poisoning my expectations but i actually feel like a dixie echo is the least likely possible scenario for her at this point. i'd say most likely is dlc, then not in the game at all, then unique at launch, then echo.

semi-related but i've noticed from a lot of people speculating that dixie kong is more often a character people expect and not as much a character people actively want. in fact i've seen quite a few people actively NOT want her. its a little disheartening tbh.
Well unfortunately every character has their detractors, it's probably best not to let them bother you.

Also if she gets in as dlc, that would potentially give them more of a chance to make her unique which would be worth it if you asked me.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

I feel like the only way we are going to get Dixie as a unique fighter is if they decide to hold her off until DLC to make a unique moveset for her.

Edit: Which, I would be more than willing to wait for because it would be worth it.

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I think if people are against your character it's because they see them as a threat to theirs and believe they are way more popular and likely than their random niche want.

Same thing happened with K.Rool and as Dixie is from the same series I think people hate on her just for the sake of it. It's rediculous when people make nonsense up like there's no way Dixie can be in as DK won't get two reps as there's so few. So what about metroid and all the other times series gained two unique reps before.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
Let's remember how K. Rool was never leaked by a credible source. Somehow no leaker could confirm him. Let's hope Dixie is in the same position.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
Let's remember how K. Rool was never leaked by a credible source. Somehow no leaker could confirm him. Let's hope Dixie is in the same position.
yep it's the same boat.
when i first hear simon belmont was leak the night before i expected nothing from the august 8 direct .
THEN.... i hear the boom.... and MY BOI WAS IN! :)

Last edited:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
I know exactly what you mean, and Dixie ain't the only one.
As a Rayman supporter, I don't think it'd be too far off to say that the same applies to him. In general, out of my current "holy trinity" (Rayman, Dixie, Banjo-Kazooie), only Banjo is the character that everybody & their pappy wants across the board. The other two, meanwhile, come off as more "Cool, but not Hype" picks to the majority, with some (hopefully) vocal minorities being strictly against their inclusion, for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
The ending of the K. Rool trailer is weird as well I was looking at them all the other day. I know they all vary but if there is an ending sequence it normally caps off the reveal.

Probably is just a homage to his Kredits but it feels out of place. Ending the trailer with the sun face off would have been better if feel. Even seeing it live it felt like Dixie was going to be revealed there and then. Hoping that's what it was alluding to. Guess we'll see soon enough.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
If Dixie is in I doubt it has anything to do with K. Rool's trailer. That ending sequence was definitely an allusion to K. Rool playing dead.

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
Still hoping Dixie was simply forgotten by the leaker, or that the leaker included wrong information (like they sometimes do). Smash Ultimate without Dixie Kong isn't truly ultimate. She is adorable, has loads of potential for moveset, she comes from a massively popular series and is also the go-to playable peep in one of the most popular, and considered the best platformer of all time by many (DKC2).

Heck, I will take a Chrom-like echo fighter over no Dixie.

Honestly if we get the rumored Pokémon and not Dixie, that will be my first disappointment with this game, which so far is shaping up to be stellar and a massive improvement over Smash 4 (in terms of newcomers). I have no complaints so far, and I want things to stay this way.
Which leak are you referring to? Did I miss a "credible" leak??

Koopaul

Smash Champion
One thing about this thread that annoys me is that you are labelled as a Dixie hater if you are skeptical about her inclusion or if thought she'd be an echo. That you are only a real Dixie fan if you know she's going to be unique fighter, or that you know she's going to be DLC.

As a big Dixie fan am still fuming that I recieved that treatment. Either way you guys are getting cult like. If you can't accept people who love Dixie, and would like Dixie to be a unique fighter, but is just skeptical about her inclusion then you guys are a bunch of jerks.

I am a huge supporter of many characters. Look at my avatar. I started a Barbara the Bat support thread despite believing she has no chance in hell. You can still love a character and be a supporter despite being skeptical on the status of that character. As for how I feel about Dixie now? I am aware it would be impossible to make her an echo fighter and give her a hair based attack. But I am still wondering if and when she'll be DLC. And if it will rely on us asking for her once again in a new Ballot.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Nah, I feel you Koopaul. I just don't see us getting two non-echo Donkey Kong newcomers. It doesn't feel of this reality. Sakurai, the talented and hardworking saint he is, is still the same guy who made Smash 4, where he showed absolutely no interest in representing the Donkey Kong series whatsoever beyond the bare minimum. I honestly believe that K Rool was an anomaly brought about by intense public demand that extends way beyond us.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Indeed. Things have been a dream come true for many with this Smash. So everyone thinks it will be a dream come true for their character as well. And there is absolutely a good chance Dixie will be here and she'll be awesome. And I hope that's what happens.

But I also lived through SSB4 and hung out a lot in the Ridley thread. People were convinced Ridley was in the game. "Of course he is! Why would Sakurai tease the character so much just like he did with Palutena? The evidence is there! It makes perfect sense."

I'm just saying as someone who has been burned before, do not overestimate any character. Ever. Always be skeptical and assume it's very much possible you will be disapointed. But it's fine to remain hopeful.

I guess one of the reasons I was riding on a Dixie echo is because, just like Sabertooth, I found it unlikely we'd be getting both K. Rool and another unique DK character... Even a semi-clone like Isabelle. It's very rare for a series to get multiple newcomers in one Smash game, unless they are Mario or Zelda or Pokemon. Otherwise it's clone city.

Last edited:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Dream scenario would be Dixie as a semi clone similar to Isabelle, with Funky Kong as an echo of DK. The DK representation would pretty much be done and dusted at that point,

Last edited:

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
One thing about this thread that annoys me is that you are labelled as a Dixie hater if you are skeptical about her inclusion or if thought she'd be an echo. That you are only a real Dixie fan if you know she's going to be unique fighter, or that you know she's going to be DLC.

As a big Dixie fan am still fuming that I recieved that treatment. Either way you guys are getting cult like. If you can't accept people who love Dixie, and would like Dixie to be a unique fighter, but is just skeptical about her inclusion then you guys are a bunch of jerks.

I am a huge supporter of many characters. Look at my avatar. I started a Barbara the Bat support thread despite believing she has no chance in hell. You can still love a character and be a supporter despite being skeptical on the status of that character. As for how I feel about Dixie now? I am aware it would be impossible to make her an echo fighter and give her a hair based attack. But I am still wondering if and when she'll be DLC. And if it will rely on us asking for her once again in a new Ballot.
Most everyone acts hostile towards the Echo argument because you're quite late to the party; the conversation has been done to death, and every time we think we've killed Echo talk (which inheritly stifles creativity in the thread in regards to her character depth and comes across as pessimistic), someone shows up and brings it up again.

There's nothing "cultist" going on here. We've had 70 pages of Echo talk, and most of us are just sick of debating it. We all know fully well that its a possibility, but would prefer NOT to embrace it because it takes Dixie's entire fighter gimmick and sacrifices it, at which point why even bother having her in the game? It'd be like including Kirby, but as a Puff clone that can't copy abilities from anyone.

No one blames you for fearing the dreaded Echo label. But if all we do is kill our own momentum by lamenting her as an Echo, it reduces our excitement and gives the community the impression that Dixie's own supporters don't believe she can be anything more. And we don't want that. We especially don't want Sakurai's internet sleuths getting that impression either; if he thinks we're content with Echo Dixie, then we'll end up reaping what we sow when that's all she ends up being.

You're far from the first person to come here and say what you've said, and you won't be the last. No one holds your viewpoint in contempt because most of us are cognizant of what could happen. But the thread has been dragged into pessimism way too many times, and we're trying to prevent that. Hence why I've been doing things like a community Dixie moveset to distract everyone.

Don't fret. You are not being attacked.

pepiux

Smash Apprentice
No one blames you for fearing the dreaded Echo label. But if all we do is kill our own momentum by lamenting her as an Echo, it reduces our excitement and gives the community the impression that Dixie's own supporters don't believe she can be anything more. And we don't want that. We especially don't want Sakurai's internet sleuths getting that impression either; if he thinks we're content with Echo Dixie, then we'll end up reaping what we sow when that's all she ends up being.
Also this. If fan demand brought us unique Ridley and K. Rool, then fan demand can get us Echo Dixie. There are some big polls out there where she is only considered as an Echo newcomer.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
I feel the same way after the long ride that has been supporting K. Rool how the fans perceive the character and what they can be is everything. It was only the MiI costume that 'killed' his support and that's only due to him being deconfirmed. The fight and belief was still there waiting with the pay off being worth it.

If Dixie's fans and supporters only see her as above echo so will everyone else even though we know she has the capability of being so much more. She's got everything from credentials, history and potential so what's the worth of squandering all that by accepting the worst case scenario?

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
It's honestly so frustrating that we haven't gotten Dixie yet after all this time, because it's actually robbed me of just being able to be chill and enjoy whoever the newcomers are. Like you know how after people get their top dream character they are often like "well I'm satisfied so now I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy whoever."

But Dixie is the character I've been waiting for since the days of Brawl lol. Pre-Brawl even, since as soon as Diddy got revealed I said "yeah cool obviously Diddy but why isn't Dixie with him?" The entire span between Brawl and Smash 4.....waiting for Dixie.

Now this entire 4 years beween Smash 4 and Ultimate....waiting for Dixie.

I just want to relax and never ask for anything ever again ;_;
Exactly my thought!
Only difference is that I began to root for her after Brawl, because before I wasn't actually in smash yet

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I feel the same way after the long ride that has been supporting K. Rool how the fans perceive the character and what they can be is everything. It was only the MiI costume that 'killed' his support and that's only due to him being deconfirmed. The fight and belief was still there waiting with the pay off being worth it.

If Dixie's fans and supporters only see her as above echo so will everyone else even though we know she has the capability of being so much more. She's got everything from credentials, history and potential so what's the worth of squandering all that by accepting the worst case scenario?
Exactly.

Moreover, nearly all of her fans on here would accept and embrace her as a semi-clone rather than a full-blown unique fighter built from the ground up. Most would even accept a Falco/Luigi or even Roy/Young Link style semi-clone where a chunk of her moveset or basic properties are shared with her boo. After all, their relationship means that they probably learned some fighting tricks from each other.

So long as she FEELS like Dixie, no one is going to pitch a fit about her deserving more. But an Echo, as its currently defined, would not allow for this. Anyone with any experience at Smash can tell you that Fox and Falco or Mario and Luigi play very differently. But I don't think I need to say that Dark Pit plays exactly the same as Pit. We don't want a Dixie who plays like Diddy. We want a Dixie that plays like Dixie. They don't even play the same in their home games, so why make them the same in Smash?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Most everyone acts hostile towards the Echo argument because you're quite late to the party; the conversation has been done to death, and every time we think we've killed Echo talk (which inheritly stifles creativity in the thread in regards to her character depth and comes across as pessimistic), someone shows up and brings it up again.

There's nothing "cultist" going on here. We've had 70 pages of Echo talk, and most of us are just sick of debating it. We all know fully well that its a possibility, but would prefer NOT to embrace it because it takes Dixie's entire fighter gimmick and sacrifices it, at which point why even bother having her in the game? It'd be like including Kirby, but as a Puff clone that can't copy abilities from anyone.

You're far from the first person to come here and say what you've said, and you won't be the last. No one holds your viewpoint in contempt because most of us are cognizant of what could happen. But the thread has been dragged into pessimism way too many times, and we're trying to prevent that. Hence why I've been doing things like a community Dixie moveset to distract everyone.

Don't fret. You are not being attacked.
Yes the echo Dixie talk is the equivalent of people going into the K. Rool thread with the observation that he was "irrelevant" and how that may impact his chances. Ok, we heard you and everyone else saying that. Enough already.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Done. Voted Dixie 1st or course, Funky 2nd and Cranky 3rd.

Cranky has the history and resume easily, but lacks many distinctive features as a fighter due to his age. I just can't imagine him fighting in his modern incarnation (yeah he has the cane and denture gun, but imagine him trying to do grabs, kicks and punches. His cane can only go so far.) So he's 3rd.

Lanky has the unique fighter potential but is a one-off who really doesn't outclass his fellow minor Kongs, so he lacks the resume, so he's 4th overall.

Ditto for Chunky, but his moveset would also likely be more bland, so he ranks 5th.

Not sure why Candy is even there. She's one of the least popular Kongs by far namely due to her design, and she never fights. She has a long resume of games, but she does rather little compared to every major Kong, so she's 6th. Why wasn't Tiny here instead?

The big two:

Funky: Cool dude, has an actual protag role thanks to TF Switch, giving him a chance to flex his abilities. He's pretty well-liked, appears as much as Candy but does way more important things. He owns the Kong arsenal, has his surfboard, and resembles DK so there's a lot of potential here. And he dominated Mario Kart Wii too, so he has some good outside exposure. 2nd.

Dixie: Do I even need to explain?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Cranky has the history and resume easily, but lacks many distinctive features as a fighter due to his age. I just can't imagine him fighting in his modern incarnation (yeah he has the cane and denture gun, but imagine him trying to do grabs, kicks and punches. His cane can only go so far.) So he's 3rd.
I always imagined him being basically Nintendo's own take on Pac-Man as a fighter - on top of using his cane, he'd have multitude of objects or items you see featured in DKC Arcade Trilogy and perhaps other Nintendo's Arcade titles. They could kind of fill in to things he's too old for to do athletically.

In whole, I'm little weirded out how there's so little people talking about Cranky or supporting him strongly since well, he is the ORIGINAL Donkey Kong, just much older. That's some insane seniority right there, and his grouchy, self-aware personality mixed within would just complete his overall appeal.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
It seems like everyone is in agreement that our new goal after K Rool should be Dixie as a (mostly) unique fighter, Funky as an echo. This pleases me.

Truthfully though, I would kill to see Cranky as well; I think he not only deserves it, but he would be fun as hell. The only issue is that Dixie deserves it way more and Funky is an easy echo. Maybe next time, Donkey Kong Sr.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
It seems like everyone is in agreement that our new goal after K Rool should be Dixie as a (mostly) unique fighter, Funky as an echo. This pleases me.

Truthfully though, I would kill to see Cranky as well; I think he not only deserves it, but he would be fun as hell. The only issue is that Dixie deserves it way more and Funky is an easy echo. Maybe next time, Donkey Kong Sr.
Yeah, I think Cranky would be best as the final DK-character (with Funky probably following in as DK's Echo), when Dixie's made it. Though I guess that'd be in next Smash after Ultimate, whether hopes will go enough well Dixie's end.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
Done. Voted Dixie 1st or course, Funky 2nd and Cranky 3rd.

Lanky has the unique fighter potential but is a one-off who really doesn't outclass his fellow minor Kongs, so he lacks the resume, so he's 4th overall.

Ditto for Chunky, but his moveset would also likely be more bland, so he ranks 5th.

Not sure why Candy is even there. She's one of the least popular Kongs by far namely due to her design, and she never fights. She has a long resume of games, but she does rather little compared to every major Kong, so she's 6th. Why wasn't Tiny here instead?

The big two:

Funky: Cool dude, has an actual protag role thanks to TF Switch, giving him a chance to flex his abilities. He's pretty well-liked, appears as much as Candy but does way more important things. He owns the Kong arsenal, has his surfboard, and resembles DK so there's a lot of potential here. And he dominated Mario Kart Wii too, so he has some good outside exposure. 2nd.

Dixie: Do I even need to explain?
Idk, cranky seemed plenty acrobatic in tropical freeze, he'd be just fine as a fighter imo

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Idk, cranky seemed plenty acrobatic in tropical freeze, he'd be just fine as a fighter imo
He probably would, I just have a hard time imagining it. Hell, I have a hard time WATCHING it in Tropical Freeze. Seeing Cranky do things besides sit around his house and hilariously trash talk everyone is strange to me. He's like Mr. Resetti. His charm is in his abrasiveness more than him actually DOING anything. That's how I've always seen it.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
I will support a Chunky comeback until the day I die, though I agree that after Dixie, Funky and Cranky deserve the spotlight more when it comes to Smash and general DK representation. I just wish Nintendo didn't toss Chunky aside like they did.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Been only able to lurk on this thread due to work, family and being sick, so I gotta catch up on some things.

Hm... I suppose the ponytail doesn't need a hitbox any more than the hair on the Koopalings does. Iggy has this big tall hairdo and it doesn't factor in anymore than bald Morton. However, if Dixie was to have even one attack with her hair, it would require a hitbox. Meaning her being an echo would be impossible.

Well dang! You got me! She can't be an echo. See? This is a good point I didn't think about.

I still stand by my point that "relevancy" is not really that important in Ultimate. But when you talk about hitboxes and the physicality of a fighter then that makes a lot of sense.
O...kay, that changes a lot of my response to you, so I'll make this short.
I never said the Ballot wasn't a factor. In fact that's the main reason I think Dixie will be an echo fighter because she still doesn't hold a candle to the likes of K. Rool on the ballot. That people who don't make it in the top 5 or whatever will not be considered in the project plan as unique fighter.
That's not what is going on here. I'm annoyed that you think its improbable that she could be an echo fighter. I am a Dixie lover. But I'm also a realist
What the ****! Stop stawmanning me! I AM A DIXIE FAN! I AM AWARE OF HOW UNIQUE SHE IS AND HOW SHE DESERVES TO BE A UNIQUE FIGHTER WITH UNIQUE MOVES. My argument is that with less time to develop characters and the burden of balancing 70+ characters means it is likely they will cut corners with certain characters who are not as high up as K. Rool and the other (and lets be honest here) 6 unique fighters that Ultimate will launch with.
I want Dixie to be unique! I love her and know she has the capabilties to be unique. STOP STRAWMANNING ME. I am just skeptical of it actually happening.
A Semi-Clone would be a reasonable compromise. Doesn't take too much resources, has a base to grow off of and still lets her stand out from Diddy. Win-Win for all.

And you honestly believe that in a game that prioritizes bringing everyone back and can only have a small handful of unique newcomers that Dixie will be one of them? If this were any other Smash game, I'd agree with you. In fact, before I knew about Ultimate, before I knew about them bringing everyone back, before I knew that they were going to bring in fan favorites like Ridley and K. Rool, before I knew the pressence of echo fighters, I was 100% certain that the next Smash would be like SSB4. I was 100% certain it would follow the same patterns and add characters that were relevant to the Wii U era and that Dixie would be top priority along with Elma. But everything is different now. This game is doing things completely different from SSB4. Prioritizing long time fan favorites and veterans over relevant characters.
And like I said above, I don't think being relevant is much of a factor for Ultimate. Things are different from SSB4. The priorities are different and who is relevant and who isn't doesn't matter as much.
That's where speculation comes in. We have dozens of characters on the front page of this subforum. We all know that a small amount of fighters will be chosen, but that's not stopping people from speculating, because we don't know how this will play out. We see with Inkling and Isabelle the choices aren't just longtime fan-favorites. Those 2 have popularity AND relevancy going for them; they're the best of both worlds; Ridley even has relevancy on his side thanks to Samus Returns; Dixie has relevance thanks to being the favored Kong of Tropical Freeze and is respectably popular. As we can see, Ultimate's candidate pool is Wii U/3DS era + Ballot juggernauts. Dixie's prominent in one category and has a solid spot in the other.

Actually Dixie doesn't pick up things with her hair in Tropical Freeze. You know why? Gameplay reasons. They wanted Dixie to be able to hold barrrels and still float. So they got rid of her hair grab. Developers are known to cut moves and abilities for gameplay reasons. Smash is notorious for getting rid of signature abilities of certain fighters for whatever reasons there need be. Hell, Wario lost his Shoulder attack in SSB4! It's back now but my point is Sakurai is not unwilling to compromise powers and abilities.
Yes, I know. Otherwise she'd come with a drawback. They cut her tertiary hair ability to maintain her primary her ability, then added more hair abilities in the form of a groundpound (new tertiary) and swimming, while reanimating her secondary (now a pirouette). This doesn't change the fact that she still grabs with her hair in more DKCs than not, and Tropical Freeze still emphasizes her as a character who over-relies on her hair. This doesn't hinder my points.

As the man who aggressively debated you I apologize for making you feel unwelcome in the thread. I know you support Dixie; your name is among the oldest on the list, and while we disagreed on how she'd be playable we both still wanted her playable. Most of what Ultinarok said in his reply to you would be the same words I'd use if he didn't reach out to you first. The Echo Discussion hit its stride on August 8th with Chrom's arrival and only recently died down on September 13th. Roughly a dozen new users came in to voice support for Dixie and for many of them it was due to her chances of being an Echo. I still added them to the list, let them know where I stood, and while I didn't agree with them, I let them know they were free to express their ideas. This post--although slightly outdated now that Isabelle's shown up--is a good example of this scenario from not long ago. While my reply to you deteriorated into a condescending tone, I did not say you're not a true fan or that you don't support her. Up 'til recently, we disagreed on what path Dixie would take and we were free to debate on it until we outright insulted one another.

We aren't cult-ish; there's a healthy amount of differing opinions here and the freedom to express them. I'm not attacking you, but I do apologize for making you feel unwelcome.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
For those out of the loop, signs are pointing to a character reveal soon. The fighter video playlist was updated two days ago (this happened 10 days before Isabelle was revealed), and the "New!" marker was removed from the list of fighters. Pretty interesting if this isn't a Smash Direct, given Sakurai's comments about slowing down. It would also further discredit the box/download code theory, given that the last Direct where they detail the Spirits mode should have a newcomer trailer as well.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
SeashoreWar SeashoreWar I went to add your art, but this site's not displaying images ATM. I'll revisit your posts when Smashboards displays them properly, then try again.

For those out of the loop, signs are pointing to a character reveal soon. The fighter video playlist was updated two days ago (this happened 10 days before Isabelle was revealed), and the "New!" marker was removed from the list of fighters. Pretty interesting if this isn't a Smash Direct, given Sakurai's comments about slowing down. It would also further discredit the box/download code theory, given that the last Direct where they detail the Spirits mode should have a newcomer trailer as well.
Now THIS is exciting! What fighter may we be seeing next, I wonder. If it's another general direct it could be anyone's guess, but if it's Smash specific I would say Dixie's got a better likelihood.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
That poll should give Funky Kong fans some perspective. Lanky Kong hasn't appeared in anything significant since 1999 but he matches Funky Kong's performance despite Funky Kong getting all that push from Nintendo for the TF Switch port. When DK65 is released and Lanky Kong returns, Lanky Kong will eat Funky Kong alive. The only Kong that I think can stop Lanky would be Dixie. But Lanky, who can be summoned with a single word written in capital letters throughout the internet, is like a sleeping demon waiting to be awakened and take over Smash speculation.

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
SeashoreWar SeashoreWar I went to add your art, but this site's not displaying images ATM. I'll revisit your posts when Smashboards displays them properly, then try again.

Now THIS is exciting! What fighter may we be seeing next, I wonder. If it's another general direct it could be anyone's guess, but if it's Smash specific I would say Dixie's got a better likelihood.
I doubt it's another general Direct, given that we just had one less than a month ago. I'm thinking that if it's not the highly speculated final Smash Direct (which I feel it's still too early for), it's either focused on another game/series (like Pokémon) with the reveal tying in with said series or it's a Robin/Lucina situation where it's the Smash reveal itself livestreamed to the official YouTube channel.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
BirthNote BirthNote I'm glad we can put this all behind us. Smash discussions can get surprisingly hostile even though we are just talking about a video game.

Anyway. I definitely think that this is a standalone character reveal and there won't be a Direct. Knowing that, it definitely won't be a super hyped character like K. Rool or Ridley. He saves those for Smash Directs. So I'm going to assume it's a character that was not highly requested on the Ballot but is just in the game. Incineroar is likely.

However, this would be a golden opportunity to reveal Dixie as well. She did well in the Ballot but is not the GIANT that is K. Rool or Ridley (pun intended) so a more small scale reveal would be more appropriate. Just like Isabelle was more small scale reveal with a more mellow trailer, but made sense to show in the last Direct to tie in the teaser for a new Animal Crossing.

That does make me wonder... Who is big enough to be the last character revealed? Maybe Sakurai didn't even plan to save the best for last. But if I were him, and I had someone like Geno up my sleeve, I'd save him for the last Direct.

Last edited:

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
BirthNote BirthNote I'm glad we can put this all behind us. Smash discussions can get surprisingly hostile even though we are just talking about a video game.

Anyway. I definitely think that this is a standalone character reveal and there won't be a Direct. Knowing that, it definitely won't be a super hyped character like K. Rool or Ridley. He saves those for Smash Directs. So I'm going to assume it's a character that was not highly requested on the Ballot but is just in the game. Incineroar is likely.

However, this would be a golden opportunity to reveal Dixie as well. She did well in the Ballot but is not the GIANT that is K. Rool or Ridley (pun intended) so a more small scale reveal would be more appropriate. Just like Isabelle was more small scale reveal with a more mellow trailer, but made sense to show in the last Direct to tie in the teaser for a new Animal Crossing.

That does make me wonder... Who is big enough to be the last character revealed? Maybe Sakurai didn't even plan to save the best for last. But if I were him, and I had someone like Geno up my sleeve, I'd save him for the last Direct.
The last characters revealed for brawl and smash 4 were olimar and shulk, I don't think they really reveal characters like that tbh

Top Bottom