• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I loved playing as Trixie Kong in DK: TP. She looked cool in DK64, too.

If Trixie Kong's in Smash, I'll main her alongside my current main, Petey Piranha.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Let's just look at it this way:

If Dixie somehow miraculously gets in as a DLC Echo, she's finally in the game.
If Dixie doesn't get in as a DLC Echo, good, because she deserves more than a clone moveset.
If Dixie has to wait until the next Smash game, she'll have a shot of debuting the proper way instead of being paid DLC.
That is a nice way of looking at it. Hopefully, she will at least make it in some day. As I said before, Ultimate is a very nice sendoff to fans of Smash Bros. who have been following it since the very beginning. It brought back every single character, and nearly every stage. It also finally brought in the one character that I had been dreaming of the most, Ridley, a character whom with each subsequent game in the series had an increasingly important NPC role (background NPC in Smash 64, trophy and part of the intro to Melee, two boss fights in Brawl, a stage hazard that could become an ally and had attributes of a playable character in Smash 4 Wii U) before finally culminating and becoming a part of the roster. Ridley becoming playable was the culmination of a journey that started with the very beginning of the series.

I personally might not be invested in the series any more by the time Dixie Kong is confirmed in a future installment (assuming it does happen), but I hope that many, many, many Smash Bros. fans will be very excited and hyped by her inclusion on the roster to a future title much like they were for Ridley and K. Rool with Ultimate.

In Melee I wanted Mewtwo, K. Rool, and Ridley and I got Mewtwo, but not the other two. During Brawl I wanted K. Rool, Ridley, and Meta Knight and I got Meta Knight and again, not the other two. During Smash 4 I wanted K. Rool, Ridley, Goemon, Banjo & Kazooie, Krystal, Dixie, Porky, and Pig Ganon and I didn't get any of them. During Ultimate I finally got K. Rool and Ridley after 17 long years for waiting for their inclusion. I lost Krystal to the Assist graveyard and I lost Pig Ganon to the boss graveyard, but I still don't know Goemon, Banjo & Kazooie, Dixie, and Porky's fates. I am almost as satisfied with the roster as you, but if I at least got one more of my wants, I wouldn't mind never seeing the others get in because I know my dream will never be a reality, but I would take that like it's real if I got half of them.

Speaking of which, how do you imagine how her reveal trailer would play out?
People in nearly everything in life seem to have that "just one more time" itch to them. I myself am even guilty of this. Many things I deemed to likely never happen after Smash 4 (Ridley being a part of the roster, Castlevania being a part of the roster, every veteran returning for at least one more time) somehow miraculously happened for Ultimate. With so many stars aligning for my personal desires on those things, I was saying to myself "now all that is left is Dixie Kong, After Dixie Kong, I will not ask for anything else." However, I had forgotten how for years saying, "all I need is Ridley and Mega Man added, and Mewtwo and Roy back in. After that, I am done." As I said before, Ultimate spoiled me rotten.

With the next title, Dixie Kong could very well be part of the roster, but at the possible cost of other characters on the roster that I care about.

Dixie Kong is a character I really like and appreciate, and it is a bit disappointing she was not a part of Ultimate's roster (and probably will not be DLC), however, Ultimate was basically my dream title. Nearly all of the past stages updated into beautiful HD environments. Everything single veteran, even Pichu and Young Link, was brought back. Castlevania, one of my Top 3 favorite non-Nintendo gaming franchises, added to the roster even though the "Smash bubble" seemed to barely care or talk about it. And finally, the one character I had been constantly hoping and dreaming about for the last two decades, Ridley, finally added to the roster.

With Dixie Kong, I do not feel like devoting years of my life and my very limited free time supporting her for her possible inclusion in the future. I will do what I can to make the case for her (my planned essay), but it will be up to other Dixie Kong fans to champion her. I heavily championed Ridley and Roy, but for Dixie Kong all I can do is offer a few pointers.

It would be a profound miracle if Dixie Kong were somehow DLC. However, as I said before I personally think most likely that:
1. The remaining four unannounced characters to the Fighters Pass are all that is left to Ultimate's roster.
2. Those characters will all be third-party.

I will still hope for her regardless though.

So, PapaGenos made a video going over some datamined content in the game that seems to leave room for more characters being added beyond the first fighter pass. Of course this could still mean nothing as he points out, but if this did mean another fighter pass is coming, surely Dixie would be much more likely right?
I would like to comment on this. Apparently, there are 15 additional placeholder slots for World of Light.

Hypothetically if you were to add another 15 slots to the roster, you could get a roster that was 13 characters per row (thus not need to add any additional echoes to the Smash 64 row), with seven rows total. A total of 91 slots. You could also fill another stage selection screen row (there are 11 stages per row) if you gave those ten hypothetical fighters a stage as well as two additional stages independent of a newcomer.

As neatly as this fills out the character selection screen (and possibly the stage select screen), I personally do not expect additional Fighters Passes. For this to happen, it would mean for Sakurai to continue working on Ultimate for another two years. Keep in mind he started working on Smash 4 in early 2012, which means that Sakurai will have worked on Smash Bros. almost nonstop for ten years straight. Even now he is going on eight years for having worked on Smash Bros.,

However, assuming another two Fighters Passes were to happen, this would obviously greatly boost Dixie Kong's prospects of happening as a newcomer for Ultimate. However, at the same time, she could easily not happen for either pass depending on what Sakurai's and Nintendo's selection criteria are and what the motifs to the passes are (like if one pass is just dedicated to third-party characters, or characters that are big among the "Smash bubble", or Nintendo characters from recent major titles). There are a lot of motifs that they could go with that could easily keep Dixie Kong out.

The announcement of an additional Fighter's Pass could at the very least invigorate a lot more interest in Dixie Kong though.

Sakurai's language was that the team would gradually shrink as DLC moved along, so who knows what is going to happen. As I said before, my expectations are that there are only four more fighters left to unveil.

Somethin' tells me other Fighter Passes might be something more easier to implement to the game, such as more Echoes in style of Daisy or Richter. No way they'd want to work on adding even more unique fighters with the team disbanding slowly during Ultimate's DLC development.

Also... hello ya'll? I haven't been much here since last year, I think.

I actually would not be surprised if one of the two extra theoretical Fighters Passes were just echoes. It could easily save Sakurai and his team a year of time and effort while also padding out the roster with popularly requested characters.

Back with another set. Winky's making a comeback and he's bringing Quawks along with him!

Once again, really fantastic work. As others have said, it is a shame stuff like this most likely will never be realized in the Mario Kart series or any racing game for that matter. I remember early on in this decade there were all sorts of rumors surrounding a possible Diddy Kong Racing sequel, but it apparently went nowhere. The extended DK cast used to have quite a presence in the Mario spinoffs, but with the 2010's, we are only left with DK and Diddy. Hopefully, they will someday be reintroduced to a future Mario spinoff title.

To add to SeashoreWar's post, here's some cool "what if" material I didn't know about.
I definitely like that Miyamoto made some doodles of Dixie Kong. I wonder if he even still remembers her? It is still a very neat piece of her history, and part of me wishes that Rare did take Miyamoto's ideas for her design. I think it could have possibly made Dixie Kong viewed as more integral to the DK series in the post-Rare era with Miyamoto having been personally involved with her design. However, it also could have made no difference at all. Personally, I do like Miyamoto's suggestions with the banana and heart.

anyone ever heard someone call dixie "Trixie Kong"? i thought maybe it was a localization name change but as far as i can tell its just a common misconception seemingly born out of thin air

maybe that was her name in the bearenstein universe?
Dixie Kong was actually named "Diddiane" during DKC2's pre-production period interestingly enough. So at one point, another name did belong to Dixie Kong.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I think now that K Rool is finally in the game, Dixie has shot up in popularity. In both the Geno thread (and followed into the Banjo thread) I asked if the 14 DLC slot is accurate, who people would want in. And to my delight, a lot of people were placing Dixie moderate to high on their lists. If we were to ever be blessed with a second ballot, I wouldn't be surprised if Dixie made top 5, especially with veterans out of the way.

Also, I find it odd that despite Dixie's popularity, she is physically nowhere in the game (besides spirits). Many first party characters with sizeable popularity have already appeared as an assist trophy had they not made the roster (Waluigi, Isaac, Krystal etc). This gives me a suspicion for both Bandana Dee and Dixie, whether they're being held back for DLC, as both were popular in the ballot.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I think now that K Rool is finally in the game, Dixie has shot up in popularity. In both the Geno thread (and followed into the Banjo thread) I asked if the 14 DLC slot is accurate, who people would want in. And to my delight, a lot of people were placing Dixie moderate to high on their lists. If we were to ever be blessed with a second ballot, I wouldn't be surprised if Dixie made top 5, especially with veterans out of the way.

Also, I find it odd that despite Dixie's popularity, she is physically nowhere in the game (besides spirits). Many first party characters with sizeable popularity have already appeared as an assist trophy had they not made the roster (Waluigi, Isaac, Krystal etc). This gives me a suspicion for both Bandana Dee and Dixie, whether they're being held back for DLC, as both were popular in the ballot.
This is basically the Diddy Kong Effect. K.Rool had it previously. It just happend to be that the whole community voted for Diddy before K.Rool, because Diddy was the most obviously missing from Melee many felt. Myself included, obviously. I would've never considered voting for K.Rool before Diddy, and same with many others. There was still quiet support for King K.Rool before Diddy's reveal in Brawl, but the same fans who wanted K.Rool where mostly also Diddy supporters. So that's why we shouldn't be upset that K.Rool got in before Dixie Kong. Because frankly, he's been missed more than Dixie, who just returned to Tropical Freeze a few years before K.Rool's return in Smash Ultimate. In many ways, he's a blessing in disguise for Dixie fans, because with his re-establishment of the major villain of the DKC franchise, more and more of Rare's created content should make it's way back to the franchise's future in Nintendo's own hands. Dixie is already back, so it's more likely now than ever that she, and K.Rool, will continue to be part of DKC's future. If we ever gonna get a new game... That's if.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
A lot of people when they talk about what Dixie's design in smash could be, they want some kind of mix between her classic and modern design. The closest thing i could find to that existing is from Mario Superstar Baseball:

She retains a lot of elements from the classic design, such as the kneepads, weird spaghetti bangs, lighter hair color, and painted toenails (albeit very subtle). But also a lot of things from her modern design are here as well, such as the rounded eyes, larger ear rings, and 20 digits all around.

I kinda like this design, it feels like a good compromise between old and new, and incorporates most of the best features of each imo. What do you guys think?

I recently found a nice cafe not far from home and one of the beverages on the menu piqued my interest:

IMG_20190323_221244.jpg

IMG_20190323_142607.jpg

Being a big DK fan like most of you, I had to try it! Tasted decent overall, texture was just right although the almond flavour was a bit overpowering. Needed more bananas, but it wasn't overly sweet nor syrupy, which was satisfying. Will try something else next time.

It's great that the DK brand and knowledge is out there in the mainstream, especially in places you'd least expect it!

Would imagine that a Dixie Kong themed smoothie would involve bubblegum! Some great ideas for the upcoming DK part of the Nintendo Theme Park :)

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
A lot of people when they talk about what Dixie's design in smash could be, they want some kind of mix between her classic and modern design. The closest thing i could find to that existing is from Mario Superstar Baseball:

She retains a lot of elements from the classic design, such as the kneepads, weird spaghetti bangs, lighter hair color, and painted toenails (albeit very subtle). But also a lot of things from her modern design are here as well, such as the rounded eyes, larger ear rings, and 20 digits all around.

I kinda like this design, it feels like a good compromise between old and new, and incorporates most of the best features of each imo. What do you guys think?
I like that they kept the kneepads. All I would change is the fur color to make it lighter and more golden-brown so there's consistency between her hair and fur.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Finished another set. This time it's the DKC3 duo!

For me I like Tropical Freeze's design of her best. I would just add the kneepads and she would be good to go!

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Dixie Kong is easily the biggest Nintendo character not in Smash, like I can't think of anyone remotely close to her unless you count characters who used to Nintendo like Banjo/Kazooie.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think DKCTF's design has grown on me but I do like the "sharper angled" beret on Rare Dixie much better. I would personally get rid of the nails on Rare Dixie.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I got a lot of engagement on you Ellie and Parry, SeashoreWar SeashoreWar . It was actually a step up from Winky and Quawks as far as community response. It seems like we're running out of Animal Buddies though! What are you planning to do next? I wish I could start paying you...

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
I got a lot of engagement on you Ellie and Parry, SeashoreWar SeashoreWar . It was actually a step up from Winky and Quawks as far as community response. It seems like we're running out of Animal Buddies though! What are you planning to do next? I wish I could start paying you...
lol Don't worry about it. I enjoy doing it!

I'm not sure how much it helps, but I would maybe tag DK Vine in posts like that. I think it's good to get their attention since they're the big DK fan group out there.

I wanna do some enemy vehicles. I have a few in mind, but I could end up doing more if I get any more ideas or if anybody has suggestions!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
lol Don't worry about it. I enjoy doing it!

I'm not sure how much it helps, but I would maybe tag DK Vine in posts like that. I think it's good to get their attention since they're the big DK fan group out there.

I wanna do some enemy vehicles. I have a few in mind, but I could end up doing more if I get any more ideas or if anybody has suggestions!
Oh! Do Cat O'Nine Tails, Squiddicus (somehow), and Skowl the Startling!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
its weird how dixie got her own game and then proceeded to not appear at all for like 7 years

shame she'll probably never reach that status again

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
its weird how dixie got her own game and then proceeded to not appear at all for like 7 years

shame she'll probably never reach that status again
Perhaps not for a while, but if the rumors about Nintendo wanting to build up the DK franchise to stand alongside Nintendo's other big franchies are true, I don't see why it couldn't happen eventually.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Perhaps not for a while, but if the rumors about Nintendo wanting to build up the DK franchise to stand alongside Nintendo's other big franchies are true, I don't see why it couldn't happen eventually.
Where have they said that? Because they take a verrrrry long time to do this build up... Tropical Freeze is already 5 years old.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Here's every game Dixie has appeared in:

Blue means playable, red means non-playable. You might notice a pattern...

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

I honestly can't think of a single other significant Nintendo character that has this distinction. I know Toad would be a popular pick, but he has plenty of non playable appearances outside of Smash so Dixie really does stand alone.

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

You might have to paint Brawl in purple perhaps due how Dixie almost was going to be in it as a duo character with Diddy, but was apparently removed.

Still, this is pretty significant observation... especially when you remember how the only mainline DK-games Dixie happened to be absent of were DK64 and Returns, due how both were trying to stick more closer on the more well-known duo and aesthetics of DKC1.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Crazy to see Dixie has been in so many games and still has't made it into Smash, when you consider Corrin has been in like 1 game and made it in with two character skins.
Does this comparison even work? They come from completely different series.

I'm sure I can find a random Pokemon with more appearances than, say Ridley, and make an argument for it. It doesn't prove anything.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Not to mention Corrin has technically been in 2.5 games.

I don't like Corrin either but eh, we can drop it already. It's more important to raise Dixie's profile that to bring something else down.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Crazy to see Dixie has been in so many games and still has't made it into Smash, when you consider Corrin has been in like 1 game and made it in with two character skins.
I mean, Corrin is an avatar character, so it makes sense there would be two skins for each canonical gender. If Dixie got in, I wouldn't really expect (or desire) her to have alternate skins since she really only has one iconic look anyway.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
It's hard, but at this point, you gotta just treat Fire Emblem as a special exception that gets preferential treatment. We can hate on Corrin (I'm certainly guilty of that), or we can just accept it and focus on the positives.

New_Dumal

Smash Lord
NNID
NewTouchdown
Corrin was a character included to promote FE:Fates . It's sad that Smash Bros characters came to this point, but it can also favor us if Nintendo is working on a new Dk (and Reggie kinda said they are), chosing Dixie to help hype the game.
The long absense of both Dixie and K.Rool should've played a big part on why she's not in Ultimate yet.
While there was more than one Mario and FE newcomer in the Smash Bros for Wii U, the game itself had more newcomers, so having 2 of the same franchise was not that annoying. Considering the number of newcomers in Smash Ultimate, I personally think they had to chose between Dixie or K.Rool, and picked the most hyped option.

Sakurai stated that Nintendo was the responsible for Smash Bros DLC newcomers.
From my point, Dixie is one of the only Nintendo characters that could be chosen instead of third parties.
Hope to see a new Dk game and our new Dk character rocking out with her ponytail.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone have a link to the interview where Reggie said a new DK game was coming?

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
As sad as it sounds I think 3rd party characters will bring the most hype, but yeah, I think Dixie is really high up on the Nintendo side. I think her biggest contenders are Geno, Bandana Dee, Rex & Pyra, Elma, Paper Mario, Chibi Robo, Porky and another FE/Pokemon rep. Possible Echos are Medusa, Octolin, Impa, Funky and Ninten. But considering PP and Joker, who knows?! *chucks notes in the air*

I really hope Dixie gets in.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
It's a shame that Dixie hasn't been playable yet. I doubt she'll get in the current fighter pass since it's looking more likely to be entirely third party, but I do hope that she gets in Smash some day. If not this game, then the next one.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Like I've said before I doubt Dixie is getting in. DLC will be bombarded with 3rd parties unfortunately...at this point my hope/focus is a new DK game announced (of course with playable Dixie) with a DK amiibo line. I want a Dixie, Cranky, Funky amiibo for sure. I'd also gladly buy Squawks, Rambi, Klaptrap, Kritter, and Enguarde amiibos as well.

But even that is unlikely seeing as well amiibo are kinda winding down and we may go the whole Switch lifecycle with nothing but an overpriced Tropical Freeze port...I mean look at the 3DS. That system has had 7+ years on the market with a HUGE install base and all it got was a port of DKCR...who's to say DK once again wont have that same fate on Switch? Since Retro is working on Prime 4 now and apparently (as established above) Nintendo feels neglecting the series and its characters are a good way of respecting Rare's legacy. We may be looking at another long ass main series hiatus. I'm talking from DK64 (1999) to Returns (2010).

That being said Im still eternally grateful K.Rool made it to Smash and now his amiibo sits on the desk next to 80+ other Nintendo characters where he has always belonged.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Does this comparison even work? They come from completely different series.

I'm sure I can find a random Pokemon with more appearances than, say Ridley, and make an argument for it. It doesn't prove anything.
Along with Toad, Waluigi, and Bandanna Dee, Dixie is the biggest omission from the roster so she should have been in a long time ago.

That being said Im still eternally grateful K.Rool made it to Smash and now his amiibo sits on the desk next to 80+ other Nintendo characters where he has always belonged.
You got that right. :)

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Anyone want to claim another move for the community Dixie moveset? Back air, down air, all tilts, all smashes, all throws, jabs and Down Special/Side Special are still open. Feel free to brainstorm one of these moves and describe it, then add any details you want like damage and knockback.
A Kong with a Barrel Throw would fill a niche I think is mixing.
Dixie being relatively strong makes this plausible, to me.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey everyone. So a while ago I issued a challenge to Diddy Kong and anyone else to beat all levels on Donkey Kong Island. The catch however, was that it you had to do it on Hard Mode, but with DK..... O N L Y. DK was the only one you can use to take back his island, otherwise we'd have to rename it as Dixie Kong Island. Another catch was that you have to share proof as well, and a while back I showed my progress:

No worries take your time! It's gonna be frustrating, to put it mildly LMAO. I've gotten started and cleared a good amount already, but Slippy Spikes (Frozen Temple) is murdering me.
And with that in mind I'm here to present to y'all the news that........I still didn't re-complete all the levels, because my Gamepad broke. This is HORRIBLE news, as it was the Wind Waker Wii U (which F***ING SUCKS to lose. I really liked that thing....) and if I'm gonna replace it, I want to get an identical controller; not the white one, not a black one without Hylian designs, but another Wind Waker gamepad. Those are expensive online, and since I spent most of my time and money on moving during Holiday 2018 I put that on the backburner. Luckily, this post isn't just about me ranting; I beat some other levels with DK before the gamepad became FUBAR:
1537125333452.jpg
1537020158252 (1).jpg

Eventually, I'll get a new gamepad, or just suck it up and buy a pro controller. In the meantime, the challenge is still on so anyone is welcome to try, whether on the Switch or Wii U.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Like I've said before I doubt Dixie is getting in. DLC will be bombarded with 3rd parties unfortunately...at this point my hope/focus is a new DK game announced (of course with playable Dixie) with a DK amiibo line. I want a Dixie, Cranky, Funky amiibo for sure. I'd also gladly buy Squawks, Rambi, Klaptrap, Kritter, and Enguarde amiibos as well.

But even that is unlikely seeing as well amiibo are kinda winding down and we may go the whole Switch lifecycle with nothing but an overpriced Tropical Freeze port...I mean look at the 3DS. That system has had 7+ years on the market with a HUGE install base and all it got was a port of DKCR...who's to say DK once again wont have that same fate on Switch? Since Retro is working on Prime 4 now and apparently (as established above) Nintendo feels neglecting the series and its characters are a good way of respecting Rare's legacy. We may be looking at another long *** main series hiatus. I'm talking from DK64 (1999) to Returns (2010).

Am fearing this deeply as well... That DKC will be neglected once again on the Switch due to the lack of interesst Nintendo shows, and that it has no dedicated studio attached to it. It's a shame that literally any other big Nintendo franchise has this, even the ones who sell less than DKC and are less popular. I'm still quite distressed about the future of the franchise. I could see a DKC indie game happening, but that's basically all am expecting at this point. Maybe the Mario x Rabbids Donkey Kong DLC is the most we're gonna get outside of the Tropical Freeze port (to be honest, Switch DKC TF was the first time I got to play the game).

If Retro is so big that it can work on two projects at a time, why aren't they at least making that final DKCR-styled DKC game with Kremlings? I read at DKVine that Retro Studios was considering putting King K.Rool in the Tropical Freeze Switch port, so why are they so lax about the franchise?

I'm gonna be seriously upset if they won't showcase a new DK game at E3 this year. But am used to it at this point... </3

Top Bottom