• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
a hand-drawn dkc game like wario land shake it would be amazing but we cant even get 2d-animated movies anymore so not holding my breath

something i think would be really cool is if they made a new dkc but tried to replicate the 90s acm graphics style of the original trilogy
Ooh that reminds me of that Into The Spiderverse movie; it's like a comic book come to life and it blurs the lines between comic, CG, and cartoon so well I just love it.

Had to go off on a tangent there; I just really love that film.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So we're gonna get to play as King K. Rool in Mario Maker, right?
And hopefully Dixie as well, considering they had characters that weren't playable in Smash like Daisy (at the time), Waluigi, and Birdo in the first game. This and her being in Mario Kart DLC could help to up her status in the community considerably.

Last edited:

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I really hope Nintendo will show a new DK game at e3, I mean we got the jungle beat wii port in 2009 and dkcr then announced at e3 2010. 2013 we got dkcr 3DS port and then dkctf announced at the following e3. So I think it's time to reveal a new dk game.

The direct was okay, my personal highlight is the new zelda game, the graphics are very cute! I really wished they would have gone for a "DKC 25th Anniversary" or something like that, I mean I thought Nintendo wants to take the dk series to the next level.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I really hope Nintendo will show a new DK game at e3, I mean we got the jungle beat wii port in 2009 and dkcr then announced at e3 2010. 2013 we got dkcr 3DS port and then dkctf announced at the following e3. So I think it's time to reveal a new dk game.

The direct was okay, my personal highlight is the new zelda game, the graphics are very cute! I really wished they would have gone for a "DKC 25th Anniversary" or something like that, I mean I thought Nintendo wants to take the dk series to the next level.
Besides DKCR3 with K. Rool, I think a remake of the original SNES trilogy would be amazing to see for DKC's 25th anniversary.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So it’s been confirmed by GameXplain that Piranha Plant will be the only DLC fighter to receive a Palutena’s Guidance conversation and the rest of the characters starting from Joker won’t have them like the DLC fighters in Smash 4.

Shame, though if we go by what Chronobound said earlier this might raise Dixie's chances a bit, since it all but confirms the Plant was supposed to be part of the initial roster and the DLC fighters were picked afterwards, providing new justification for the Plant’s lack of a spirit.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
how long is this essay
It is going to be long. I want it to be comprehensive. I want to talk about:
- Dixie Kong's history
- why she is such an important character to DK and gaming as a whole
- what her potential is to be as a fighter
- how her flexibility to be developed as multiple different kinds of Smash fighters (different ideas for fully unique, different types of semi clone, echo fighter) is a sign that she desperately needs a big push to ever make it into Smash Bros.
- just what Dixie Kong means to the next generation of Smash Bros. fans
- possibly my own personal history with Dixie Kong
- possibly exploring the idea of Dixie Kong as the "female Mario"

Please feel free to give me additional ideas on what topics I should explore with my Dixie Kong essay.

You might want to see this video, then. It's by Mark Brown of Game Maker's Toolkit.

Hey everyone, I've got a new set of vids to share from Gamexplain:
https://youtu.be/iORdCuz2vtE

And Video Game Dunkey:
https://youtu.be/1UhFWoDZLxA

They're giving Tropical Freeze the recognition it deserves, especially highlighting what makes it better than the NSMB games. It's refreshing to see and hear, and while IDK who's making the inevitable next DK game, I hope they keep, enhance and grow on Retro's design philosophy. It reeks of quality and they put so much thought into their levels. NSMB stages feel like obstacle courses; Retro's DKCs feel like living environments.

Also, @SeashoreWar keep knocking it out of the park! Your work will be added soon and it's always amazing. Might I suggest googly eyes for the Squitter-Mobile?

EDIT: Oh, sorry; forget what I said about the eyes.

Also InASnowBoundLand InASnowBoundLand great moveset! Haven't forgotten about it, and I'll add that soon.
I keep hearing incredible accolades for Tropical Freeze. I still have yet to play this game though (I never bought the Wii U, and I only got the Switch within the past six months). I am still playing through Smash Bros. Ultimate, and I still have my other Switch games I bought so far (Super Mario Odyssey, Captain Toad, Sonic Mania Plus) on my backlog as well. Is Tropical Freeze really THAT incredible?

Time will tell, but usually the worst rumors end up being true (we got Incineroar and Ken instead of Skull Kid and others, so yeah). Maybe things will be different this time.
There were lots of people that hoped for Incineroar and Ken though. Just because the loudest people in the "Smash bubble" groaned against them does not mean that they were not wanted. Roy was one of my most wanted characters for Smash 4, a character who was simply a straight Marth clone back in Melee. Dark Samus and Chrom were just echoes, but for some they were the most hype-inducing additions to the roster.

The one thing I want for the Direct is for that dumb rumor about the remaining fighters being from Dragon Quest, Minecraft, etc to be debunked.
There are many people who personally want to see Dragon Quest and Minecraft join Smash Bros. though. As mentioned earlier, one man's groan is another man's hype cry.

We will just have to wait and see what happens.

I still doubt we will get first party DLCs, but I am really willing to be proven wrong (with Dixie being announced, of course - no other first party potential fighter is remotely as interesting at this point).
I am skeptical of the DLC rumors (or "leaks") going around, however, I do personally agree with you that I doubt we are getting any more Nintendo characters as DLC.

Delzethin has made a potential 1st Party DLC list covering the many options and our Girl With the Whirl is one of them!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pmj6MfvefQU

It's interesting that he says we're a more quiet fanbase. It's true of course, and I take no issue with being called such, but maybe its a wakeup call in addition to what Chrono's been advising us about. Guess we could stand to be a bit louder is all.
I am glad I am not the only one that has noticed that Dixie Kong has a pretty quiet fanbase. As I said before, her fanbase strongly reminds me of Roy's, a lot of fans, but most of them are pretty quiet. Dixie Kong has an incredible legacy (arguably the most notable one for any Nintendo character not already part of the roster), so it is peculiar why she does not get the passion that a character with her background would typically get.

So it’s been confirmed by GameXplain that Piranha Plant will be the only DLC fighter to receive a Palutena’s Guidance conversation and the rest of the characters starting from Joker won’t have them like the DLC fighters in Smash 4.

Shame, though if we go by what Chronobound said earlier this might raise Dixie's chances a bit, since it all but confirms the Plant was supposed to be part of the initial roster and the DLC fighters were picked afterwards, providing new justification for the Plant’s lack of a spirit.
By raising her chances a bit, that might mean her chances go from 5% to 10%, or 10% to 15%, hahaha. Her prospects for DLC are very low, but it at least opens up the prospect that DLC characters only recently got selected. Unplanned echo newcomers is a possibility, but as mentioned earlier, even if this does happen, she faces incredible stiff competition just for these hypothetical 1-3 echo slots. The other possibility for Dixie Kong to join Ultimate's roster is a second season of DLC (which is again very stiff competition for Dixie Kong even if it were to happen).

Dixie Kong making it onto Ultimate's roster would be an absolutely incredible miracle. Possibly one of the most incredible miracles for a roster that had very miraculous inclusions (and triumphant returns).

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I keep hearing incredible accolades for Tropical Freeze. I still have yet to play this game though (I never bought the Wii U, and I only got the Switch within the past six months). I am still playing through Smash Bros. Ultimate, and I still have my other Switch games I bought so far (Super Mario Odyssey, Captain Toad, Sonic Mania Plus) on my backlog as well. Is Tropical Freeze really THAT incredible?
I don't want to raise expectations too high, in case you get overhyped and find the game underwhelming as a result, but I'll say that it's one of the best Wii U games to get a port to the Switch. Please check it out and spend some time with it, lose yourself in the levels and collectibles, and maybe forget about how there aren't any Kremlings in the game, see how enjoyable you find the game.

One thing I'll say, is that among all the DKC games, it has my favorite soundtrack by David Wise. Legit some of the best music he's ever composed.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I am glad I am not the only one that has noticed that Dixie Kong has a pretty quiet fanbase. As I said before, her fanbase strongly reminds me of Roy's, a lot of fans, but most of them are pretty quiet. Dixie Kong has an incredible legacy (arguably the most notable one for any Nintendo character not already part of the roster), so it is peculiar why she does not get the passion that a character with her background would typically get.
I don't feel like getting into it, but I genuinely feel that this is because she is a girl. Gamers have a...complicated relationship with girls and female characters.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I don't feel like getting into it, but I genuinely feel that this is because she is a girl. Gamers have a...complicated relationship with girls and female characters.
I disagree. I just don't think that she has the popularity. There's always been a bigger goal when it comes to DK; Diddy until Brawl and K. Rool, a villain with unfathomable character, tossed to the sidelines for a decade, much to the dismay of his fans. DK also hasn't been a prominent force in Nintendo's lineup since the Rare days, due to lackluster spinoffs after the split and a less than frequent release schedule even after the revival. She's a side character in a series that isn't really even mainstream anymore.

Shantae's fanbase, on the other hand, is fairly large, which I would attribute to a slightly more frequent release schedule as of late as well as the fact that she'd be representing a new series, who's fans are starved for content as far as Smash goes. I think you'd be hard pressed to make the case that any character's popularity can be attributed to their demographic.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Shantae's fanbase, on the other hand, is fairly large, which I would attribute to a slightly more frequent release schedule as of late as well as the fact that she'd be representing a new series, who's fans are starved for content as far as Smash goes. I think you'd be hard pressed to make the case that any character's popularity can be attributed to their demographic.
Yeah, Shantae's big enough in popularity that it arguably goes hand in hand with Rayman's supporters. Incidentally, I support both, but that's pretty obvious.

She also has the advantage of being around for over a decade and getting more games than some of her fellow indies.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
You guys remember that you had the option to choose your gender when you were voting in the Smash Ballot right? What was the reason for that unless they were going to throw us a couple of female Ballot picks in the Season Pass like Shantae and Dixie Kong. I know we got Bayonetta, but K. Rool, Ridley, and the Belmont boys came from the Ballot as well and they're all males. I don't see Sakurai or Nintendo putting that option in the Ballot just to give us one female character of 5 confirmed Ballot picks.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
specifically she's a girl who isnt a conventionally-attractive humanoid, which is possibly a reason a lot of people dont really care about her and/or find her an appealing option. moreso its probably just A) the DK series is already represented fairly well at this point and B) casual fans dont know much about dixie kong except that she exists

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Unplanned echo newcomers is a possibility, but as mentioned earlier, even if this does happen, she faces incredible stiff competition just for these hypothetical 1-3 echo slots.
I understand she faces stiff competition from all the potential 3rd party characters for the fighter's pass, but I feel among 1st parties and especially echo/semiclones she is fairly high up on the list. The reason she would be unlikely would be because of the low possibility of unplanned echo newcomers or a 2nd season pass in it of itself, but not if either of those actually come to fruition, especially since most of her 1st party competition has been confirmed as ATs.

I think more younger gamers and casual fans know about Dixie more than K. Rool because of his long absence from gaming as a whole.
This, being in Tropical Freeze, and to a lesser extent Hoops 3 on 3 and Diddy Kong Racing DS probably did wonders for her popularity among the younger side of the fanbase compared to K Rool's absence. (Excluding Super Sluggers because both Dixie and Rool were in that game.)
Even in the first Mario Baseball on the Gamecube she was chosen over K. Rool and Funky who weren't added in until the Wii one.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
moreso its probably just A) the DK series is already represented fairly well at this point
Not that this is much of an obstacle to start with. :ultmario::ultluigi::ultpeach::ultbowser::ultrosalina::ultbowserjr::ultdaisy::ultpiranha:

Some series stopped getting characters despite having every reason to. :ultlink::ultkirby:

Some still don't get anywhere. :ultwario::ultsonic:

So, we can't really determine how well a series is "represented", when people ask for characters they want, no matter what happens. DK's case is a combination of factors, from Nintendo preferring to use stuff they created themselves (which is how DK once had a game in which he was the only returning character), to the general lack of presence his series had in modern times until now. Mario Vs. Donkey Kong had more presence as a series by this point, for Queen Banana Bird's sake.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I understand she faces stiff competition from all the potential 3rd party characters, but I feel among 1st parties and especially echo/semiclones she is fairly high up on the list. The reason she would be unlikely would be because of the low possibility of unplanned echo newcomers in it of itself, but not if those echoes actually are realized, I feel.
I think if Sakurai wanted to make Dixie into a Echo, she would be one in the base game. But the fact that Dark Samus got in and she didn't leaves me to believe that Sakurai probably thought she is too unique to be made into a Echo and I agree with that because if she were a Echo, she would be a clone/semi-clone forever like Ganondorf or Falco. She deserves to have a unique moveset.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think if Sakurai wanted to make Dixie into a Echo, she would be one in the base game. But the fact that Dark Samus got in and she didn't leaves me to believe that Sakurai probably thought she is too unique to be made into a Echo and I agree with that because if she were a Echo, she would be a clone/semi-clone forever like Ganondorf or Falco. She deserves to have a unique moveset.
I was surprised that Isabelle was not an echo and I saw a lot of people claiming that her not being an echo would almost guarantee Dixie to be in the base game as it showed that non echo semiclone newcomers were still possible. Honestly, I wouldn't mind her being a Lucas or Wolf type pseudoclone, the closest category to being fully unique, as long as she actually gets in.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I was surprised that Isabelle was not an echo and I saw a lot of people claiming that her not being an echo would almost guarantee Dixie to be in the base game as it showed that semiclones were still possible. Honestly, I wouldn't mind her being a Lucas or Wolf type pseudoclone, the closest category to being fully unique, as long as she actually gets in.
It does at least help that Tropical Freeze gave her a food gun, I imagine it wouldn't be too difficult to alter :ultdiddy:'s popgun into it.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
THIS. It's also VERY peculiar that Dixie's spirit inhabits Isabelle's body and Diddy's just the tag-along. That right there speaks volumes, especially when Tiny and Lanky gets Diddy's body despite having far less in common.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I think more younger gamers and casual fans know about Dixie more than K. Rool because of his long absence from gaming as a whole.
im specifically talking about people who actively campaign for characters on social media. usually when dixie enters the conversation its "i dont know much about the donkey kong series but dixie kong seems like an easy echo :)"

but whatever its a moot point and not worth defending

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
It's strange to realize now, but Dixie has only been in one game over the past ten years. I don't think she's as ingrained as a "Nintendo staple" as we like to believe.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It's strange to realize now, but Dixie has only been in one game over the past ten years. I don't think she's as ingrained as a "Nintendo staple" as we like to believe.
To be fair, a good chunk of the roster has been in 0 games over the past 10 years. (Or even 20)

These range from longtime veterans like Captain Falcon and Ness who are literally only still in because of their veteran status to newcomers like Dark Samus and K Rool himself.

And obviously retro characters like R.O.B., Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, and Duck Hunt haven’t even come close to being relevant in a long time either outside of Smash.

When we get to characters that have only been in one or two games in the past decade, I’m pretty sure this applies to at least 50% of the roster.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't think she's as ingrained as a "Nintendo staple" as we like to believe.
Hello?! Main protagonist in her own game DKC3 and co-protagonist in two of what is perhaps the best DKC games, DKC2 and Tropical Freeze. It's not about relevancy, it's about legacy and Dixie's is just about as big as K. Rool's I would say.

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
Would anyone here be opposed to another DK64 type game? Instead of DKC type game, it'd be another open world adventure game. I don't really know how DK fans feel about DK64, but I feel like it'd be a fresh of breath air after being bombarded by DKC games for years.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Would anyone here be opposed to another DK64 type game? Instead of DKC type game, it'd be another open world adventure game. I don't really know how DK fans feel about DK64, but I feel like it'd be a fresh of breath air after being bombarded by DKC games for years.
DK64 wasn't my favorite DKC game, but I would love to see a successor to it though. I want to see the DK64 formula back in the DKC series.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
These range from longtime veterans like Captain Falcon and Ness who are literally only still in because of their veteran status to newcomers like Dark Samus and K Rool himself.
And obviously retro characters like R.O.B., Ice Climbers, Game & Watch, and Duck Hunt haven’t even come close to being relevant in a long time either outside of Smash..
Rate of appearances in a franchise and number of titles are two different math concepts. Otherwise Mario franchise would have overkilled everyone else.

I'll say..
Pretty much a less requested alt/echo and also less treated by Namco in newer Pac-Man adaptions and games. I personally like her tho, especially I always main her in Mario Kart arcade version.

The counterpart to Ms Pac-Man in DK franchise was rather Candy than Dixie, who has been obviously ignored despite she is given a new 3D render as Smash trophy.

While agree that she and KingKRool are still related to most of the DK titles, let's shall not forget how Diddy keeps his existence.

Even if some are just cameos, ironically Diddy is pretty much a half Mario character now. It's frustrating to see how Dixie, KingKRool and also the Wario characters are less treated. While wanting more DKC main titles, at least sport games would good for them to prolong their existence.

DK64 wasn't my favorite DKC game, but I would love to see a successor to it though. I want to see the DK64 formula back in the DKC series.
Well if Ninteno would like to do a Mario 3D titles, wonder if that can be applied to DKC and make a DK 3D Country as well.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Rate of appearances in a franchise and number of titles are two different math concepts. Otherwise Mario franchise would have overkilled everyone else.

Pretty much a less requested alt/echo and a less treated by her official in newer Pac-Man adaptions and games. I personally like her tho, especially remembering she was at least playable in Mario Kart.

The counterpart more to Ms Pac-Man in DK franchise was rather Candy than Dixie, who is obviously less treated for long time ago despite she is given a new 3D render as Smash trophy.

While agree that she and KingKRool are still related to most of the DK titles, let's shall not forget how Diddy keeps his existence.

Even if some are just cameos, ironically Diddy is pretty much a half Mario character now. It's frustrating to see how Dixie, KingKRool and also the Wario characters are less treated.

Well if Ninteno would like to do a Mario 3D titles, wonder if that can be applied to DKC and make a DK 3D Country as well.
To be fair, they seem to be more comfortable with only using their own creations (aside the ones that are used to sell the danged games, that is :ultmario::ultdk::ultwario::ultyoshi:). which is why Ashley's "big" crossover appearances are limited to Badge Arcade despite her apparent popularity, for example. Having known someone who has a difficult time leaving their comfort zone, I know how that's like.

Like I said before in regards to Pauline, there needs to be something radical to happen in order for non-main characters to be more openly used.

Last edited:

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, they seem to be more comfortable with only using their own creations (aside the ones that are used to sell the danged games, that is). which is why Ashley's "big" crossover appearances are limited to Badge Arcade despite her apparent popularity, for example. Having known someone who has a difficult time leaving their comfort zone, I know how that's like.
Like I said before in regards to Pauline, there needs to be something radical to happen in order for non-main characters to be more openly used.
Understand that Diddy is the Toad+Luigi to Mario in DK games, I don't doubt his importance in his series. What I don't quite get is whether his popularity is "dominant" in the DK franchise and general Nintendo fanbase, so that he can be in much more games than Dixie and KingKRool, and even some other secondary Mario characters.

I guess sure DKC titles have given the main characters enough attentions for them to be in more crossover titles. I cannot tell what things can be more explosive for them. They are not like the Mario characters who used to spend most time in sport games more than platformers.

Smash bros? I don't know if that is explosive enough to push KingKRool and Ashley in the next Mario sport game.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Understand that Diddy is the Toad+Luigi to Mario in DK games, so I cannot doubt his importance in his series. What I don't quite get is whether his popularity is "dominant" in the DK franchise and general Nintendo fanbase, so that he can be in much more games than Dixie and KingKRool.

I guess sure DKC titles have given the main characters enough attentions for them to be in sport games. I cannot tell what things can be more explosive for them (in Mario franchises, on the contrary, most main characters scarcely star in main Mario titles).
Smash bros? I don't know if that can push KingKRool and Ashley in the next Mario sport game.
Well, besides Diddy being DK's official sidekick, DK characters being taken out of Mario Kart was...not received well. My hunch is that hopefully if there is a new DKC by Retro coming, that'll expose new players to the Kremlings and maybe even the rest of the Kongs, so I think it'll explode in popularity at that point.

Though it was said on DK Vine a while back that Ninty are having plans for K. Rool, so who knows.

In Ashley's case, the first step would be for Wario Ware to sufficiently climb back up from the failure of Game & Wario. Then maybe Sakurai can consider a WW character for next time.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Understand that Diddy is the Toad+Luigi to Mario in DK games, I don't doubt his importance in his series. What I don't quite get is whether his popularity is "dominant" in the DK franchise and general Nintendo fanbase, so that he can be in much more games than Dixie and KingKRool, and even some other secondary Mario characters.

I guess sure DKC titles have given the main characters enough attentions for them to be in more crossover titles. I cannot tell what things can be more explosive for them. They are not like the Mario characters who used to spend most time in sport games more than platformers.

Smash bros? I don't know if that is explosive enough to push KingKRool and Ashley in the next Mario sport game.
I think it's probably because Nintendo isn't too comfortable with putting a lot of non Mario characters in the spin offs. They probably think it's safer for sales to just throw in baby versions of the Mario cast instead of putting in anybody else from the DKC, Zelda, or Warioware cast to join in on the fun.

Nintendo really needs to know their fans or get a better idea on what the majority of us really what in their games.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think it's probably because Nintendo isn't too comfortable with putting a lot of non Mario characters in the spin offs. They probably think it's safer for sales to just throw in baby versions of the Mario cast instead of putting in anybody else from the DKC, Zelda, or Warioware cast to join in on the fun.

Nintendo really needs to know their fans or get a better idea on what the majority of us really what in their games.
It's really just the MK branch that does that. Meanwhile, Mario Party staffs constantly make the tone-deaf decision of leaving out Toad and now even Toadette in modern entries, but keep adding regular enemies, even compared to MK. At least Bowser is on the playing field now...

Last edited:
Top Bottom