• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

StormC

Smash Hero
It felt weird to battle a Tiny Spirit where the opponent was Diddy. Like you have Diddy as a proxy of a proxy.

At least I krocked him (her?) good.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
You also never fight a Dixie Kong spirit in World of Light. Don't think that's a spoiler or anything, just felt it was worth pointing out since you still fight Tiny, weirdly enough.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
Just summoned Dixie actually, she seems to be a pretty useful spirit. Also enhanced her to include Kiddy and the hovercraft.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Guys, we need to be louder. You know how Waluigi fans were so loud they got Reggie to actually address them? I want that, but not in an obnoxious way, y'know? Like, I want Dixie to show up on those memes with the characters who didn't make the cut. How do you guys think we should approach this? I've already started @ing Sakurai's Twitter account with positive messages.

Also, I need more exposure for the Twitter. Once again any and all retweets are dearly appreciated. I've also considered reaching out to Daley Kong, the community lead for Playtonic who followed me, to maybe get a retweet on her 7,000-follower account.

The time to act is now, guys, if we ever want to see this actually happen.

GAINAX GAINAX That's not half bad actually. I'll post mine later so we can get a side-by-side comparison.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think it's just going to take time. You can't build an army overnight. What'll help is when the new DK game is finally announced and hopefully Dixie is in it to give the character even more exposure. Right now we're in a lull but we just need to stay the course. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I think it's just going to take time. You can't build an army overnight. What'll help is when the new DK game is finally announced and hopefully Dixie is in it to give the character even more exposure. Right now we're in a lull but we just need to stay the course. It's a marathon, not a sprint.
I feel like Dixie Kong is settled. She doesn't need anymore support like that. She's a sheer lock for the next Smash if not DLC.

StormC

Smash Hero
I feel like Dixie Kong is settled. She doesn't need anymore support like that. She's a sheer lock for the next Smash if not DLC.
The same way Toad is a lock, yeah.

At one point Dixie had the highest chance rating in RTC for this game. I don’t put much stock in who the Smash community considers a guarantee, especially in a post-Piranha Joker world.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Exactly. Compared to her, every other Kong that isn't her or Funky has an uphill battle ahead of them.

With K. Rool out of the way, people can get to focus on her, and potentially, the rest of the viable Kongs. Not saying it should be GS fanbase levels of frequency, but love for TF should carry things through at the moment.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Nothing is guaranteed especially when the devs are unpredictable with characters that are chosen for Smash.

If we continue to show our support it could possibly help her chance a bit more and encourage others to join in as long as it's done in a positive manner.

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Toad doesn't have strong move set potential compared to Dixie Kong. Piranha Plant has zero to do with the scenario. Dixie Kong's likeliness for Smash is cemented.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Toad doesn't have strong move set potential compared to Dixie Kong. Piranha Plant has zero to do with the scenario. Dixie Kong's likeliness for Smash is cemented.
Nothing is cemented, who knows what they might put in Smash next. Toad could still have a potential move set if they want to since characters like :ultduckhunt::ultisabelle::ultvillager::ultwiifittrainer: :ultrob:were made into fighters.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I think Toad is and has always been a completely hopeless cause and I'd rather we don't lump Dixie Kong in with him. I'd love to see Captain Toad make it somewhere down the line, but even as a child it just made sense to me that Toad wasn't playable. He's probably the original NPC.

Crepuscular

Smash Rookie
I've gotten in the habit of commenting on all the Smash posts from the official Nintendo twitter/instagram accounts lol. NOT hostile or obnoxious, just like "hey thanks for a great game/K Rool, please don't forget about Dixie!" etc.

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905
Trolling infraction
Ignoring how silly I find the argument, I'm still confused:

Don't you still have to eventually play as a girl with the current roster in Smash down?

Might as well be a girl who has to rescue the protagonist twice from the villain in that case.
There are still two that I'm sort of fine playing as: Sheik and Power Suit Samus.
However, I definitely think that, for a game called Super Smash Bros., there are too many female characters. (I swear I'm not sexist.)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There are still two that I'm sort of fine playing as: Sheik and Power Suit Samus.
However, I definitely think that, for a game called Super Smash Bros., there are too many female characters. (I swear I'm not sexist.)
I mean, it's for the sake of convenience (and is a reference to Super Mario Bros). You don't see people refer to the X-Men as X-People, do you? Besides, only a handful of characters are actually related as brothers.

Also, no one is sure about Jiggly's gender, exactly.

I think Toad is and has always been a completely hopeless cause and I'd rather we don't lump Dixie Kong in with him. I'd love to see Captain Toad make it somewhere down the line, but even as a child it just made sense to me that Toad wasn't playable. He's probably the original NPC.
I just hope folks who want the captain specifically point out "the one with the backpack" when asking for him.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I swear that you are.

Get your issues sorted out, mate.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I mean, you are sexist. You are just a kid right now but you need to realize you got some pretty messed up ideas about gender, which are common for kids to get. But girls are part of videogame history and part of in particular DK history. Dixie is a major character of the DK series and was playable in more games of the OG DK trilogy than Donkey Kong himself. And girls/women are a part of the audience, as well. Girls/women have a place in Smash Brothers, and it's pretty much nonsense to say they don't because of the game's title.

This isn't a celebration of maleness or something.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I don't really say the "Bros" part of Smash titles anymore anyway. It didn't make sense in 64 cuz Samus, and has made progressively made less sense since.

I don't think the "Bros" part refers to who's playable, it's just a play on "Super Mario Bros." since this is a platform fighter. Edit: so I usually just say "Smash 64," "Smash Melee (just "Melee" for the most part)," "Smash Brawl (again I usually just say "Brawl")," "Smash 4," and "Smash Ultimate."

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Ever seen Once Upon a Deadpool?
I have Deadpool 1&2, pretty much anything he says isn't meant to be serious.

You can have your preference for male characters but there's nothing wrong with female characters in Smash Bros. The term Super Smash Bros was probably a spin on Super Mario Bros which also had playable female characters like Peach and Toadette in some games so the term Bros is pretty much irrelevant to the game.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
"Bros." has never referred to gender for the series. The word can be used gender neutrally, just like how "dude" isn't used exclusively for men despite being a masculine word.

It's good to know you're 14, though. That means you still have plenty of time to learn and grow. And I'll let you in on a little secret: playing as Peach in Smash won't make your **** smaller.

StormC

Smash Hero
SuperDoom1 SuperDoom1 I would advise not posting anymore unless you need a shovel to dig your grave even more. Go grow up and get your brodude nonsense out of your system.

Piranha Plant is a big chompy reminder that there are no sure things in Smash. Dixie isn’t cemented until her splash screen appears.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
moving on from all of that...
I've gotten in the habit of commenting on all the Smash posts from the official Nintendo twitter/instagram accounts lol. NOT hostile or obnoxious, just like "hey thanks for a great game/K Rool, please don't forget about Dixie!" etc.
Thank you. That's really good. I honestly think Sakurai or at least someone from Nintendo notices these social media comments, otherwise how would they have known about the Waluigi demand? And I like that you phrase it really nicely. There's nothing wrong with sending more terse messages either as long as they aren't obnoxious/hostile.

We're gonna do this, guys. I wonder if I can even get an endorsement from DK Vine. Maybe I'll do a Kongversation call-in...

UserKev

Smash Champion
I apologize if you can't see my post. I think something is wrong right now.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If Smashdown didn't exist, I'd be indifferent.

I am NOT playing as a girl. No support, sorry.
This comment is an obvious troll, but I want to use it to comment on a very unique aspect to Dixie Kong. During the 1990's, there were very few female gaming protagonists, especially outside of RPGs. For Nintendo, the two big ones were Samus (who many did not even know was a woman) and of course Dixie Kong.

Dixie Kong was a very interesting case. For most female characters, they are usually loved because of "sex appeal" or "waifu bait". However, Dixie Kong was a very "girly girl" kind of character (she would even cry if she got hit), yet she was very popular among boys during the 1990's. Why was this? Well, even though she was still very feminine and girly, she was at the same time very cool. She could fly through stages that were very challenging for our much younger selves, and flying is very cool. Her animations did much to endear people to her too, whether it was rocking out on a guitar, chewing gum, having a drink through a straw, or licking honey while climbing a wall. She had spunk and personality. DKC3 might very well been the first Nintendo game I remember ever being hyped for solely due to Dixie Kong headlining it (it was either that or Yoshi's Island).

Dixie Kong in a lot of ways is a female Mario. You would not think a girly monkey with an oversized ponytail would be very endearing (much the same way you would not think a mustachioed middle aged man wearing a red cap and shirt and blue overalls would be appealing), yet she is appealing and endearing to all kinds of demographics. She in many ways is the ideal heroine. Many heroines are made and written to be men in a female body, but Dixie Kong is still very feminine and a "girly girl", yet at the same time very much a heroine. For a series that regularly features kidnapping as a plotpoint, she still remains the only major playable Kong to have never been kidnapped by K. Rool (DK and Diddy have both been kidnapped twice). She has fight in her too (remember how she sassed K. Rool in DKC3).

Young boys would love and appreciate Dixie Kong just as much as young girls would, and that speaks a lot to her design and appeal as a character.

As many others have said, it is far, far, far from settled. At one point, Dixie Kong was seen as among the most likely characters for Smash 4 and Ultimate. Many, including myself, thought she was eventually going to be revisited due to the fact she was already planned as a fighter for Brawl, and thus Sakurai at least had some idea on how she would move and attack, but ten years later she is still not playable.

Dixie Kong also has not exploded in popularity and requests after K. Rool's confirmation like many of us thought she would. Granted, there are certainly a lot more people remarking how she seems to be the most conspicuous absence on the roster at this point. Many thought she had really good chances for DLC too, and then look how that turned out (DLC is probably going to be all third-party characters).

I would still very much like to see Dixie Kong somehow get into Ultimate. Ultimate has given nearly everything I ever dreamed of in Smash Bros. Heck, even in World of Light, they managed to give a role to my favorite character from one of my favorite Nintendo series (Pico from F-Zero), and that was a little something that really made me smile.

I sound really spoiled (and I probably am) to be still be asking for something more after everything Ultimate has given me, especially so on desires I thought would never happen (Ridley becoming playable, every veteran returning, the Belmonts being added). I even got additional surprises like nearly every past stage coming back and Pico having a role in the adventure mode. Who would have thought the only thing that left on my list of personal desires for Smash Bros. would be the one thing that most people would have thought would be by far the most likely thing to happen for Smash 5 a year ago (Dixie Kong becoming playable).

The point is that Dixie Kong has a long journey ahead of her, and the absolutely wrong attitude to have in regards to her that she is "inevitable". She is far from it. Dixie Kong has a long track record for missing titles that she not have missed (Diddy Kong Racing, DK64, and Country Returns), and its possible she might be gone for a long time again, and thus not be in the running for the next title.

Dixie Kong needs a miracle just as much Ridley and Roy did.

View attachment 183054

I'm sorry guys... I did the best I could.
That is actually a pretty good Mii. The funny thing is that I experimented with all the Mii costumes, and I found the track suit to be the best one to go with the Dixie hat as well.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
During the 1990's, there were very few female gaming protagonists, especially outside of RPGs. For Nintendo, the two big ones were Samus (who many did not even know was a woman) and of course Dixie Kong.

Dixie Kong was a very interesting case. For most female characters, they are usually loved because of "sex appeal" or "waifu bait". However, Dixie Kong was a very "girly girl" kind of character (she would even cry if she got hit), yet she was very popular among boys during the 1990's. Why was this? Well, even though she was still very feminine and girly, she was at the same time very cool. She could fly through stages that were very challenging for our much younger selves, and flying is very cool. Her animations did much to endear people to her too, whether it was rocking out on a guitar, chewing gum, having a drink through a straw, or licking honey while climbing a wall. She had spunk and personality. DKC3 might very well been the first Nintendo game I remember ever being hyped for solely due to Dixie Kong headlining it (it was either that or Yoshi's Island).

Dixie Kong in a lot of ways is a female Mario. You would not think a girly monkey with an oversized ponytail would be very endearing (much the same way you would not think a mustachioed middle aged man wearing a red cap and shirt and blue overalls would be appealing), yet she is appealing and endearing to all kinds of demographics. She in many ways is the ideal heroine. Many heroines are made and written to be men in a female body, but Dixie Kong is still very feminine and a "girly girl", yet at the same time very much a heroine. For a series that regularly features kidnapping as a plotpoint, she still remains the only major playable Kong to have never been kidnapped by K. Rool (DK and Diddy have both been kidnapped twice). She has fight in her too (remember how she sassed K. Rool in DKC3).

Young boys would love and appreciate Dixie Kong just as much as young girls would, and that speaks a lot to her design and appeal as a character.
That's a great testimony! I'd love to post that on the Twitter, like "and now a word from Chronobound".

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Ridley fans, myself included, had that same mentality back in the Smash 4 days.

It didn't end well.

Last edited:

Marcello691

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 0035 6389 6608
I have to admit that I'm really enjoying spirits mode atm, but I don't know where to find the Dixie Kong spirit, didn't find anything on YouTube or with google. Can someone help me out please?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
All I know is that Dixie is not a spirit fight in World of Light, though I was able to get the Dixie wig from that mode.

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905
This comment is an obvious troll
Exactly what would make you think I was trolling? I don't care how good a game may have been said to be, if you're forced to play as a female, barring Touhou and Metroid, I won't even consider it. That's why I haven't played DKC3, Freedom Planet, or Portal yet (although the latter will likely become another exception). Blame my sister for this mentality.

StormC

Smash Hero
Exactly what would make you think I was trolling? I don't care how good a game may have been said to be, if you're forced to play as a female, barring Touhou and Metroid, I won't even consider it. That's why I haven't played DKC3, Freedom Planet, or Portal yet (although the latter will likely become another exception). Blame my sister for this mentality.
I'm sure your mother would appreciate your attitude towards women.

Top Bottom