• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>people thinking Sakurai was serious about saying next Smash would be in 10 years

untitled foghorn.png

I thought the "(laughs)" made it obvious that it was said in jest to me. Guy knows dang well the demand's there, so I'd expect about 5-6 years from now.

After having time to play the game and letting the dust settle I'm OK with Dixie not getting in if that's the case. She is no where near K. Rools position that if he didn't make it this time round he probably would have been officially dead and written out completely. Dixie is certainly alive and well with her recent playable appearance in Tropical Freeze so there's no worry about her at all.

However I still think this topic and talking about Dixie should carry on, proven by K. Rool Nintendo need to be shown how popular characters are for them to realise what they actually have at their disposal. I don't think Smash or Dixie is done after this round of DLC and we've only had the first reveal. It may be naive but I'm going to hold out for Dixie still coming at some point. Even if that makes me seem crazy and unrealistic it was even worse with waiting and wanting K. Rool and look where we stand on that now. In the mean time I'm just going to enjoy Ultimate and use Mii Brawler with the Dixie hat.
To be honest, K. Rool's inclusion granted my wish of more DK content, so anyone else would have been gravy at that point. I'm satisfied for now.

If anything, it's the other Kongs beyond Dixie that will need much backing going forward. At least Funky's much loved in Japan, so that's a start.

Scratch that, not just Kongs overall, but there's other characters from big Nintendo series that need to be supported strongly as well.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
>people thinking Sakurai was serious about saying next Smash would be in 10 years

I thought the "(laughs)" made it obvious that it was said in jest to me. Guy knows dang well the demand's there, so I'd expect about 5-6 years from now.
Agreed, and if it actually is serious, it means Ultimate will likely be supported for a long time, much longer than just the current fighter pass.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Finally got around to doing all the Kongs, including my redesign of Swanky and a newly revived Wrinkly.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I think he looks great for that role. It's updated for modern sensibilities. Reminds me of something the new Ducktales would have done for a redesign. I could totally see that Swanky saying "step right up, step right up!"

I've been seeing lots of folks on the internet independently sharing the belief that Dixie is the last really deserving Nintendo character left to be in Smash, and it makes me feel nice. We ain't alone, others feel the same way. She might not be the most requested character, but many people agree that her absence is strange and wrong.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Is Swanky supposed to be the Helper Monkey?
Yep!
Swanky's cute but I think he looks too cute. He should look more like a sleaze bag, show biz scam artist.
I can see him looking more sleazy. And that can also come from his expression too.
I think he looks great for that role. It's updated for modern sensibilities. Reminds me of something the new Ducktales would have done for a redesign. I could totally see that Swanky saying "step right up, step right up!"
Thanks!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I've been seeing lots of folks on the internet independently sharing the belief that Dixie is the last really deserving Nintendo character left to be in Smash, and it makes me feel nice. We ain't alone, others feel the same way. She might not be the most requested character, but many people agree that her absence is strange and wrong.
Yep. If there was one silver lining in the Assist Trophy slaughter of 11/1, it's that most of Dixie's competition, especially in the 1st party category, was "eliminated", pushing her much higher on the totem pole of popularity.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think it's fine to keep this thread alive. I think the way to go forward would be to do as the Isaac fans are: get our character into more games. We need to make sure there's no six-year hiatus for her adventures again, and the way to do that is by showing Nintendo how much we care about the character. Making sure she stays in the next Donkey Kong Country, getting her into Mario spin-offs, anything helps in the long run. That's the approach the K Rool people (myself one of them) did last time.
This is absolutely the correct approach going forward.
Honestly, the best thing going for Dixie at this point is still the music. The fact that there are no new Tropical Freeze songs and no DKC3 songs at all is still very suspicious, especially when they were so generous with all the other DK games in terms of remixes. The fact that the two games in the series most associated with Dixie are conspicuously lacking in the music department is reason for notice.
I agree it was very suspicious, and that was the source of the bit of hope I had that Dixie Kong could still have been a possibility for DLC. However, with Reggie saying that Joker is the example that the rest of Ultimate's DLC is going to take, I no longer have hope for her being DLC for Ultimate unfortunately.

No matter what happens with Smash, I think all of us keeping the discussion going and sharing our passion for the DK series and love for the characters is really important. Of course it's obvious to us that Dixie should be in Smash, but to the majority of players now, Dixie is barely a blip on the radar. The biggest problem the Dixie and DKC fanbase in general has is how quiet it can be. It might be over for Ultimate, but the future has never looked brighter for the DK series as it does right now. A healthy DK series means a higher chance for Dixie in Smash, we need to start expressing ourselves more to Nintendo. DK sells, yet you can barely find people talking about it online. That needs to change.
Another fantastic post. As I keep saying, Dixie Kong is a gift for the future. However, she does need to continue to make new appearances in the DK series (and important ones at that).

After having time to play the game and letting the dust settle I'm OK with Dixie not getting in if that's the case. She is no where near K. Rools position that if he didn't make it this time round he probably would have been officially dead and written out completely. In the mean time I'm just going to enjoy Ultimate and use Mii Brawler with the Dixie hat.
I do agree. I like Dixie Kong more, but K. Rool definitely needed to make it into Ultimate as the third DK character because the character was outright in danger of going the way of Donkey Kong Jr. (who made his last new playable appearance in 2002's Game & Watch Gallery 4).

I still need to get that Dixie hat in Ultimate. A lot of the new Mii costumes look absolutely fantastic and are great consolation prizes. As I keep saying, I wish there was Mii "Kong suit" to go along with the Dixie Kong hat.

Honestly, this is going to be the last Smash game for a long time, and next time there will be a bunch of characters cut, so it would still feel empty if Dixie got in then. DLC is the last chance she has to be able to interact with and fight every single veteran in the series up to this point, so I would really rather see her in this game than wait up to 10 years for the next. She more than deserves it.
I feel exactly the same way. This roster and stage selection for Ultimate is absolutely fantastic.

Sakurai also does seem to suggest that the next Smash Bros. might be the last game for a long time (he threw out the number ten years and then laughed). Keep in mind the gap between Melee and Brawl and Brawl and Smash 4 was over six years. People are very spoiled by how quickly Ultimate came after Smash 4. It would not surprise me if the next game was released six years after DLC concluded for Ultimate (in 2020).

I do feel the same way that Dixie Kong's addition would probably feel "hollow" in the face of so many cuts. Heck, in such a selection environment she probably would not even be able to make it in (she does not have the legions of rabid fanboys to catapult her in such a circumstance).

I do agree I much rather have seen her made it for Ultimate and that she certainly deserved it. However, that is simply life. Ultimate gave us Ridley, K. Rool, Castlevania characters, and every single veteran returning. Dixie Kong as much as I like her and think highly of her, is not on the level of everything else that Ultimate gave us.

However, Dixie Kong making it into Ultimate as DLC would be take an even greater miracle than when Ridley was added for this game's roster or Roy as Smash 4 DLC, since we already know the direction the other four DLC fighters will take. It would involve Dixie Kong having to be the sole exception for that set of newcomers, which I do not expect to happen (I expect all the characters to be third-party).

Finally got around to doing all the Kongs, including my redesign of Swanky and a newly revived Wrinkly.

Fantastic artwork. I especially what you have done with Wrinkly Kong's re-design. That is probably the best design I have ever seen for the character. I also like what you did with Candy Kong (where part of her hair looks like a banana).

That is encouraging. It is a shame she did not have more clout on the ballot or else I think she might have been a semi-clone for Ultimate in the same way Isaballe was. However, what is done is done.

I am still very happy with Ultimate's content. If we get a "Kong Suit" for DLC, we can at least pretend Dixie Kong is playable. The Mii hat is absolutely fantastic from the screenshots I have seen, and the newcomer Mii costumes I have collected really make you think you are playing as a chibi-style version of the character in question (for some such as Skull Kid, Ray MKIII, and Lip they actually seem like the character in question).

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Smash in ten years (laughs).
Even if the next Smash isn't in ten years, which I don't believe it will be, I doubt we will getting tons of newcomers. There is just too much stuff already in the game, and I don't think they are going back to cutting fighters to add new ones. So I wouldn't really waste time hyping the next game for the newcomers aspect of it, at least.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Even if the next Smash isn't in ten years, which I don't believe it will be, I doubt we will getting tons of newcomers. There is just too much stuff already in the game, and I don't think they are going back to cutting fighters to add new ones.
Yeah, I expect at least an extra 5 fighters at most, and that's if the second pass gets approved.

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I was playing Super Mario Odyssey and was like "Jeez we need a new Donkey Kong 3D game"

StormC

Smash Hero
Even if the next Smash isn't in ten years, which I don't believe it will be, I doubt we will getting tons of newcomers. There is just too much stuff already in the game, and I don't think they are going back to cutting fighters to add new ones. So I wouldn't really waste time hyping the next game for the newcomers aspect of it, at least.
They're definitely cutting fighters back, no way can they get all third parties on board for the next game, least of all Square who probably nickel and dimed every pixel of their properties in Smash. Sakurai himself said that Everyone Is Here was probably a one time thing. I'd expect a handful of cuts and 10ish unique newcomers for the next game.

Last edited:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
I am on team "no cut". Even if I hate a character I don't think its cool to cut him/her when there might be people who like them.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
They're definitely cutting fighters back, no way can they get all third parties on board for the next game, least of all Square who probably nickel and dimed every pixel of their properties in Smash. Sakurai himself said that Everyone Is Here was probably a one time thing. I'd expect a handful of cuts and 10ish unique newcomers for the next game.
Understandably that's exactly why they brought everyone back, this is pretty much the last Smash before they reboot the series which enviably will have cuts, kinda like how MvC 2 brought back everyone who was playable throughout the series with some newcomers thrown in and with such a huge roster it will have a lasting appeal for years till the next installment.

With so much effort they put in Ultimate, it's hard to imagine how could they top this one.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I think they'll top it. It might seem impossible now, but game development could get easier and more efficient as the years go by. We could get a new Smash on the next console that brings everyone back again and makes this game look like Smash 4.

StormC

Smash Hero
I’d be fine with the next game just being an Ultimate port with another handful of newcomers/echoes as long as they can get licensing to work out.

As a Cloud fan though, I’m not even sure it’s worth it at this point.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
I think they'll top it. It might seem impossible now, but game development could get easier and more efficient as the years go by. We could get a new Smash on the next console that brings everyone back again and makes this game look like Smash 4.
I’d be fine with the next game just being an Ultimate port with another handful of newcomers/echoes as long as they can get licensing to work out.

As a Cloud fan though, I’m not even sure it’s worth it at this point.
These are the kinds of posts I like to see.

Sakurai made one comment about how he was given the choice of starting over from scratch or building off what he already had and everyone loses their minds and assumes the next Smash will be a reboot. Why? Why would they do that? Sakurai made Ultimate as it is because he believed that's what the majority of the fans want. And he's right. There's no practical benefit in rebooting the series from scratch and having a roster with 20 characters max.

That said, I'm not confident in the next Smash bringing back absolutely everyone, even aside from 3rd party negotiations (though if it's more of an enhanced port, which I'd also be okay with, keeping everyone shouldn't be a problem). Even veterans require work, and the more characters there are, the harder it becomes to add new ones and keep things balanced.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah, given that it seems like every asset is set up in case they could be ported over easily next time, it wouldn't be too shocking if the majority of characters can get brought back.

The main problem is Cloud, who is such a hassle to license. If they can't bring new material alongside him, then what's the point?

Reila

Yes, the people want Sans. And Sakurai will give us Sans.
As far as indie peeps are concerned, since Shovel Knight is likely excluded, I would much rather have Sans than (ew) Shantae. But Frisk is a better choice imo. Frisk so cute.

Reila

If Smashdown didn't exist, I'd be indifferent.

I am NOT playing as a girl. No support, sorry.
That is fine. If you don't want to play as a girl, it is your right. Personally I don't enjoy playing as fighters with heavy anime-like aesthetics (the Fire Emblem/Persona kinda - I like goofy aesthetics like Sora in my avatar, and she is an anime so there is that), so I am not going to judge anyone. To each their own.
I legitimately think that all the DLC in this pack will be third party, but eh, I'll never really give up hope. Smash clearly ain't going anywhere, and I'm sure they'll revisit the Nintendo catalog eventually.
A very safe bet. There are still relatively popular first party picks for fighters, but the S/A tier potential fighters, if you want to classify then this way, are already in Smash and one thing you want to make sure when developing DLC content is that it will sell. Big third party names are much more likely to sell than Dixie Kong, unfortunately and I am a big Dixie supporter... I am just not going to lie to myself about her chances being high. It can happen, but I don't think it is likely. I hope I am wrong, though.

Let's just hope they aren't all anime fighters :)

Last edited:

SuperDoom1

Smash Journeyman
SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE
NNID
SuperDoom
3DS FC
4656-6065-5905
Found the 8-year old.
Ha-ha, very funny. Where'd I put that Landmaster?
Whu...what? How old are you?
I'm 14.
Ok, how about playing as a Klaptrap of unknown gender whose goal is to corral beavers into a hole? Sounds simple, huh? Grab the controller, punk.
I...would actually enjoy playing as one.
You must have taken a wrong turn somewhere. This isn't GameFAQs.
What does GameFAQs have to do with anything? That place is for talking about how Twilight Princess is the best Zelda game...on the Breath of the Wild boards.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
So back to Dixie Kong, I think it would be cool if her grab used her hair and could act like DK's and let you move around while carrying an opponent. Also she should totally have a tipper effect like Marth for her forward smash with her hair.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Since we're are posting fan art, here is mine. A bit basic, but what they hey. I thought it might cheer you folks up.
Diddy Dixie fan art.png

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
If Smashdown didn't exist, I'd be indifferent.

I am NOT playing as a girl. No support, sorry.
Ignoring how silly I find the argument, I'm still confused:

Don't you still have to eventually play as a girl with the current roster in Smash down?

Might as well be a girl who has to rescue the protagonist twice from the villain in that case.

Top Bottom