• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
As a side note, I know this has absolutely zero impact on anything and is a 100% coincidence, but a reddit thread a couple days ago had someone correctly predict Joker from Persona (as a guess of course, not a "leak"). Guess who else they predicted?
Comment of Interest

Entire Thread

Again, just a random internet comment with completely no base and almost certainly just got lucky, but interesting how the stars aligned.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Personally I'm hoping the DLC doesn't tend to be mostly anime-esque characters. Joker's in that category for sure, but as long as the other 4 have a varied aesthetic to them and look dare I say...out-of-place among each other I'm fine. One that's "realistic" one that's "cartoony" another that's "anime-esque" etc.
Yeah, I don't think Joker is necessarily indicative of how all the characters will be. I'm still expecting Banjo-Kazooie and THAT will be a trip, seeing him next to a character like Joker in the DLC pack. Joker's cool and I'm looking forward to him, but I'm still waiting on bear and bird to buy the Fighter Pass.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Huh...someone asked me a question the other day regarding Dixie and I couldn't answer it; Can Dixie Kong, and indeed the other Kongs(outside Cranky, Candy and Funky) talk?

I got into the DKC series late so I couldn't think of any modern day examples of any of them talking.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Part of me does miss the Melee days, when we only expected Nintendo characters and that was that. As extremely exciting as I've found literally every third-party pick in Smash (Cloud and now Joker especially), part of me would still trade it away for an increased emphasis on Nintendo's backlog of great characters.
About half of Ultimate's newcomer will be third-parties.

2/18 (or 11%) of Brawl's newcomers were third-party.
5/21 (or 24%) of Smash 4's newcomers were third-party.
8/17 (or 47%) of Ultimate's newcomers will be third-party.

The third-party percentages have basically doubled with each game.

I said before in my comprehensive analysis that Ridley, K. Rool, Inkling, and Isabelle were the biggest Nintendo newcomers that they could have added. It was only through the echoes that additional Nintendo character fanbases got their dreams realized (Daisy, Chrom, Dark Samus).
ChronoBound ChronoBound , your words have touched me. I look forward to it.
Thank you for your words of praise. I am not sure when I will have time to work on it though. I will probably will start work in February. Its not going to be absolutely massive. It will just talk about why she is important to Donkey Kong, what her appeal is, and what she means to me as a character.

I mostly play Nintendo first party IPs and think Smash should primarily focus on Nintendo first party IPs, *AND* on top of that JRPGs are the one genre of games that I personally just don't play at all (no offense to fans, it's just not my thing). And Dixie has been my most wanted newcomer since the pre-Brawl days.

So....yeah. Not loving this news. I'm trying to just stay quiet in most places online because I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but it's just so, so frustrating. All I've really wanted is Dixie for over 10 years now, it seems to be SUCH an obvious thing to me, and they just...won't...add her :'(
I fully understand. To think Dixie Kong could very well have been in Brawl had she been retooled as a Diddy semi-clone (maybe if they had more time for Brawl). Its a shame she was never revisited. She really is among the very few characters that stands out that is not yet in (the only other two that still come to mind are Bandana Dee and Toad, and the latter is at least part of a moveset and has a full Mii costume).

That sucks. I hope she gets in the next game.
I'm glad shew as acknowledged with the mii hat. I hope that's a good sign for the future.

I made a Dixie mii but I noticed that you have to unlock the Dixie mii hat.

The unlockable thing is grinding my gears.
Can you show me the Dixie Kong Mii you made? I actually cleared Classic Mode with every character on the roster (except the three Mii Fighter types), and I and been going to the shop regularly, and I still have not acquired the Dixie hat.

To be frank I’ll take Dixie as an echo at this point. She’s got no shot against third-parties and I’d rather have her in the game than have to wait 7-10 years for a sequel.
I almost wonder how Dixie Kong would have turned out if she was an echo. Ken shows that a lot of liberties can be taken with an echo. I think she would have at least had an unique recovery and Final Smash (like Chrom received). I think she might possibly even would end up having DK's down special (she does a similar attack with her in Tropical Freeze).

Dark Samus in particular showed me that echoes can capture a character well even if they have 99% the same exact attacks as their original (though Dark Samus in particular has a lot of unique animation for any echo not named Ken).

I think a Ken-style echo might possibly do Dixie well, but it would be stretching the definition of an echo to its limits, and she would absolutely need to have her hair for a recovery and at least one attack.

I agree with what you’re saying but I’m still not ruling out echoes as DLC separate from the Fighters Pass, but at that point I think Funky’s more likely.
I do think if there is a somehow additional echoes as DLC that Funky would be more likely than Dixie (they would need to do more unique stuff for Dixie).

I think Nintendo just isn’t confident enough in their B-list characters for them to be DLC. They know third party characters generate discussion and headlines and they know it gets interest outside of the diehard Nintendo bubble. If I were to guess, Nintendo asked Sakurai if they wanted to include an Atlus/SMT character due to the good business relationship, and Sakurai landed on Joker, being a big fan of Persona 5. Nintendo might also be trying to push Smash as a general gaming crossover to make it more competitive with other consoles.

As for the future of Dixie, I’m not sure. I feel like Dixie, Bandana Dee, and Toad are all sort of in the same boat; recognizable characters from classic Nintendo series that fly under Sakurai’s radar since they aren’t the first of secondary protagonist of their IP. These types of characters probably don’t interest him unless they can be easily cloned or have a really standout gameplay mechanic. Fans will have to keep supporting these characters if they can hope to move the needle rather than assuming they’ll just get in.
I agree with most of what you wrote. I think Nintendo might simply think B-listers are not DLC material unfortunately.

As for Dixie, Toad, and Bandana Dee, I think Bandana Dee will definitely make it into the next installment simply due to the fact he is now the most wanted character on the Japanese side of things. Dixie Kong has a lot of fans, but they are not loud enough. Toad has the problem that he been stuck as Peach's special forever and the fact that requests for Waluigi and Geno now make the character even more overlooked. Dixie Kong could potentially become a A-list requested character, but it would require another DK game coming out where she is a main playable character again (at the very least on the same level as Tropical Freeze), and that is something beyond our control.

Dixie Kong could very well never become playable in Smash Bros. as difficult that is to hear. She needs a fortunate set of circumstances to put her over the line.

For anyone looking for the Dixie Kong Mii Hat, its in Spirits jungle on the far left of the screen in a red treasure chest. For once i may actually play as a Mii fighter so that I can get the closest thing to the real deal.
Thank you. I should start playing that mode then.

I'm here merely waiting all the DLC to show up before getting the Pass, but IDK if I'm gonna be too interested on getting it, even if it'd mean completing the roster. Much like I said a while back, Ultimate's gonna feel tad odd to me now due just how many characters there are, but none I feel "click" with me as the very personal kind of characters from my time as a gamer so far - most, if not all, are currently NPCs or other forms of deconfirmed in Ultimate and Smash-series at large.

It's kind of why I hoped Dixie was in Ultimate, especially after all that's gone down and will keep on going in the future - she'd at least been something I could relate to enjoying the game with other fans enjoying K.Rool, Simon, Isabelle and much more as of now. But all I can say I have now is Diddy Kong and Peach, but I haven't played those characters for a while (perhaps due loss of interest on them over time). Peach also is way back from Melee, where I was already pretty young by then, and so was Diddy when I hit 12-year old age. I guess tastes were going change over time since, or at least me finding something to go after during that period.

I remember vividly how I first wanted to see the series at least have sensible choices of characters picking from the series (like, Toad, Dixie Kong, Bandanna Dee, etc) especially after what Brawl set precedent to- and I guess so far, it's gone kind of half-way by now as of Ultimate with the Big Villain Duo, but things have just gone too far to even expect that anymore. So now I just wish I could have something to even enjoy Smash in same level as fans of those who received their most wanted, now and then out of the blue (Cloud, Bayonetta, Joker), or after a long-running crusade of strong fan demand. But I'm starting to be absolutely certain that day will never, ever come. I've become steeled to such an outcome over these years though, but it makes me wonder what to feel about playing Ultimate out of genuine personal enjoyment, or at least, hopping to it with something from my personal liking to talk about and enjoy it with, compared to Smash-fangames that let me already pick characters I never would be able to see be playable in Smash that I really feel ton of connection to. (Klonoa + Toad + Tails in Crusade & Wario, Tails and Lloyd Irving in Smash Flash 2.).

Now the thing I could give benefit of the doubt is that DLC's still on-going thing, with just 1st one shown first time everybody - and anything could happen with it, unless 3rd Parties is solely the only factor within. But again, I believe Dixie might not be a hype-setting character - though I'd love if that'd thus be even funner reality to witness on people seeing her and be like "whoaa--t" after all more crazier choices of characters.

For now, IDK entirely what to add on to this discussion, though I'm genuinely believing I'm probably part of the super-niche group not being super-"into" Smash Bros-gamess these days due what all has gone down by now. But I sometimes wonder, could I be able to enjoy this series more than I am right now? I keep feeling "yes", but I wonder if it's due the mass mentality that I'm super-entitled and not able to see the big picture of what all great stuff I've received that I've taken for granted because it's not something specific I wanted. On the other hand though, I do kind of enjoy what I have, but it feels middling ground to me at best. Like, serviceable, but over time I'd feel out of the groups that can talk about all the amazing stuff Smash had offered to them, while I sorta say like "I guess I got Richter... even if I just played his game for two stages about other priorities in 2015...",)

I deeply hope something's could happen in the future for me to come back later - until then, I might become more a lurker on this thread of sorts as I've been for past month now.

Here's hoping we die strong and dying in this Lost World of DLC until then.

What are the characters you are really hoping for in Smash Bros. again? I know Dixie Kong is one. What are the others? Hopefully, you will get at least one character you really care about added on the roster. I really feel for you.

I can't.. see Dixie getting in anymore. Speculation has really ended at an usual turn this Smash.
Even before the information that followed after Joker I said that Dixie Kong getting in as DLC would take an even bigger miracle than when Roy managed to be DLC for Smash 4. Even if Dixie Kong is no longer a contender for playable status for Ultimate, there is still things that can be done to support and appreciate this character.

ChronoBound ChronoBound I don't get to respond to you as often as I'd like but I want you to know I do enjoy reading your insightful posts, and I'm seriously looking forward to your essay. The appreciation you have for Dixie is profound.
I very appreciative of your kind words. As far as Nintendo characters go, Dixie Kong is definitely the last one I am really fond of that is not playable yet in Smash Bros. so I would like to do a little something for her.

Huh...someone asked me a question the other day regarding Dixie and I couldn't answer it; Can Dixie Kong, and indeed the other Kongs(outside Cranky, Candy and Funky) talk?

I got into the DKC series late so I couldn't think of any modern day examples of any of them talking.
I know for a fact Dixie Kong talks in DKC3.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
About half of Ultimate's newcomer will be third-parties.

2/18 (or 11%) of Brawl's newcomers were third-party.
5/21 (or 24%) of Smash 4's newcomers were third-party.
8/17 (or 47%) of Ultimate's newcomers will be third-party.

The third-party percentages have basically doubled with each game.
That's assuming that all of the fighter pass characters are third parties, which is unlikely, I believe. I definitely think we'll get at least one promotional first party like Sylux or Edelgard.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
That's assuming that all of the fighter pass characters are third parties, which is unlikely, I believe. I definitely think we'll get at least one promotional first party like Sylux or Edelgard.
Reggie said that the DLC characters are going to be characters we would not expect to see in Ultimate, which pretty much eliminates nearly all Nintendo characters. I would personally be surprised if there are any Nintendo newcomers after Piranha Plant. However, we shall see in a year's time what happens.

Personally, I am very happy with how Ultimate turned out. Ridley and K. Rool have their personalities come out well with their attacks and animations. Even Dark Samus is captured really well despite being an echo. Dixie Kong would have just been the cherry on top for me.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
What are the characters you are really hoping for in Smash Bros. again? I know Dixie Kong is one. What are the others? Hopefully, you will get at least one character you really care about added on the roster. I really feel for you.

It used to be rather sizable, but as deconfirmations kept on coming, it just grew tinier.

Speaking which, I remember making signatures back in SSB4-days to them all. Here:

For Ultimate, my hopes were personally on Toad, Dixie and Takamaru. This was a sizable drop from likes of Tingle, Lyndis, Isaac, Lip, Starfy, Saki, Lloyd Irving, and more. Sadly as of now, all of them, sans perhaps Lloyd Irving, got completely dashed from the playable spot, serving as NPCs or being completely absent now. I guess what makes it bit worse is that NPC'd characters don't entirely matter in eyes of Smash-fans obviously over time after their wow-factor as Assists wear off, and even then, the competitive scene will never feature them. It's bit funny how Randall the Cloud's more iconic to Smash's history than Assists ever will be (unless they become playable). It's why I wish Assists were at least summonable characters, sorta like what Ultimate's current upgrades to them has been lately since you can KO them (hence being able to air dodge and stuff).

Now the most ironic thing here is that Lloyd Irving, a character I went to write completely off after Pac-Man made it into Smash, and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles completely skipping the Wii U-release (as Tales Of-games were more concentrated on Sony-systems these days), has become even likelier than ever before out of all the characters I've been waiting.

I might perhaps hop on that train sometime, but I think I rather wait what comes down before that, really - Joker's inclusion makes me sorta feel like Yuri Lowell could also be on the table now due being most popular Tales Of-character, especially with Vesperia's enhanced port being released on Switch in the future. In whole, I've been little too blindsided about that I'm tad tired to get up and take on this whole speculation and supporting as is.

Still, I do really appreciate the sympathy. Here's hoping... until the time where she can shine:

Dixie Kong for Super Smash Bros.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
It used to be rather sizable, but as deconfirmations kept on coming, it just grew tinier.

Speaking which, I remember making signatures back in SSB4-days to them all. Here:

For Ultimate, my hopes were personally on Toad, Dixie and Takamaru. This was a sizable drop from likes of Tingle, Lyndis, Isaac, Lip, Starfy, Saki, Lloyd Irving, and more. Sadly as of now, all of them, sans perhaps Lloyd Irving, got completely dashed from the playable spot, serving as NPCs or being completely absent now. I guess what makes it bit worse is that NPC'd characters don't entirely matter in eyes of Smash-fans obviously over time after their wow-factor as Assists wear off, and even then, the competitive scene will never feature them. It's bit funny how Randall the Cloud's more iconic to Smash's history than Assists ever will be (unless they become playable). It's why I wish Assists were at least summonable characters, sorta like what Ultimate's current upgrades to them has been lately since you can KO them (hence being able to air dodge and stuff).

Now the most ironic thing here is that Lloyd Irving, a character I went to write completely off after Pac-Man made it into Smash, and Tales of Symphonia Chronicles completely skipping the Wii U-release (as Tales Of-games were more concentrated on Sony-systems these days), has become even likelier than ever before out of all the characters I've been waiting.

I might perhaps hop on that train sometime, but I think I rather wait what comes down before that, really - Joker's inclusion makes me sorta feel like Yuri Lowell could also be on the table now due being most popular Tales Of-character, especially with Vesperia's enhanced port being released on Switch in the future. In whole, I've been little too blindsided about that I'm tad tired to get up and take on this whole speculation and supporting as is.

Still, I do really appreciate the sympathy. Here's hoping... until the time where she can shine:

You have good taste in characters.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
If you're looking for characters to identify with, perhaps try some new games that feature characters in Smash.
Yeah ~ Valkyrie ~ ~ Valkyrie ~ , I was about to say, if Smash still doesn't have any characters you feel connected to personally then you might just not play enough video games, lol. Have you tried Pikmin, Xenoblade, Kirby, Star Fox, Mega Man, Castlevania?

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord

Dixie definitely talks after beating Rool in DKC3. Not sure about any others.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Has anyone been able to find the Dixie hat in the Shop, or is it only available in World of Light?

Also, I noticed they split up the K Rool costume into a Hat and Body piece. Interesting.

StormC

Smash Hero
Nintendo makes up at least 60% of my gaming library but I've branched out enough into third party series to have played most of them in Smash (Bayonetta being the big exception). Now that Persona is in, almost every video game IP I have extensive experience with is now in. That's cool, honestly.

I guess I'm lucky that my taste extends far enough that every Smash game, I get 2 of my top 5 most wanted newcomers:

Brawl: Diddy Kong, King Dedede, Mega Man, Ridley, Samurai Goroh
4: King K. Rool, Mega Man, Ridley, Palutena, Dixie Kong
Ultimate: King K. Rool, Ridley, Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Ganon

It's only two, every time, it's pretty funny at this point. And in Brawl and Ultimate, my top two, specifically. Dixie is truly the last remaining Nintendo all-star.

Her best bet is probably being thrown in as a semi-clone in the next game. I don't think Sakurai is interested in the character on her own merits.

Last edited:

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
I'm calling it right now guys, Dixie is going to be revealed as the third DLC character for the fighter pass, alongside remakes of the original DKC trilogy.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'm calling it right now guys, Dixie is going to be revealed as the third DLC character for the fighter pass, alongside remakes of the original DKC trilogy.
Yup. Despite everyone assuming all the DLC will be 3rd party, Sakurai always loves to have some exceptions and throw curveballs. Despite the DLC newcomers in Smash 4 being all 3rd party, Corrin was a key exception, and from a series that already got two newcomers and a veteran DLC character back. Because of this, although the majority of the DLC will probably be 3rd party, I feel like at least 1 or 2 of the DLC will be 1st party, and Dixie Kong could be a prime candidate, especially since most of her 1st party competition has been condemned to Assist Trophy purgatory. And just like Roy was revealed alongside Ryu, Dixie could be revealed alongside Banjo or Geno for massive hype.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I legitimately think that all the DLC in this pack will be third party, but eh, I'll never really give up hope. Smash clearly ain't going anywhere, and I'm sure they'll revisit the Nintendo catalog eventually.

If by then we have a new DKC with Dixie Kong in it...boy would that be swell!

By the way I found the Mii hat and made a Mii Brawler. I'll probably record a video of it later.

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Sakurai is a true genius: make people think every DLC character will be 3rd party, and suddenly the expected becomes the unexpected and Dixie Kong is a huge surprise!

I don't actually think this is going to happen.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong are at home sleeping. They hear normal sized footsteps and go to the window to see who it is.

It's Dixie Kong's silhouette.

SURPRISE!

It is actually Tiny Kong.
Tiny Kong laughs, plays the saxophone while crying + laughing, changes size repeatedly while rolling on the floor laughing, when a dark figure approaches her from behind. WHAM.

The real Dixie Kong slaps the crap out of Tiny Kong and sends her flying.

DK and Diddy's eyes burst through the window in surprise.

Dixie Kong roars as The Northern Kremisphere begins to play.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Donkey Kong and Diddy Kong are at home sleeping. They hear normal sized footsteps and go to the window to see who it is.

It's Dixie Kong's silhouette.

SURPRISE!

It is actually Tiny Kong.
Tiny Kong laughs, plays the saxophone while crying + laughing, changes size repeatedly while rolling on the floor laughing, when a dark figure approaches her from behind. WHAM.

The real Dixie Kong slaps the crap out of Tiny Kong and sends her flying.

DK and Diddy's eyes burst through the window in surprise.

Dixie Kong roars as The Northern Kremisphere begins to play.
I mean, for K. Rool, having Dedede be in disguise of him worked because Dedede was in the game already, and K. Rool was a villain with no friendship or connection with Dedede (and Dedede being a minor antagonist himself). I feel like having Dixie Kong beat up her own sister in a trailer cutscene is a little out of character. (I know in the game they beat each other up all the time, it's just that you didn't exactly see any of them beat up their friends in the Subspace Emissary cutscenes or Smash 4/Ultimate CGI trailers).

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Replace Tiny Kong with Inkling instead--they're mischievous kids who are probably more prone to pranks like that. Not to mention I wouldn't be that upset to see Tiny Kong!

Can we just make this a ****post thread for the next five years?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Sakurai is a true genius: make people think every DLC character will be 3rd party, and suddenly the expected becomes the unexpected and Dixie Kong is a huge surprise!

I don't actually think this is going to happen.
Honestly, the best thing going for Dixie at this point is still the music. The fact that there are no new Tropical Freeze songs and no DKC3 songs at all is still very suspicious, especially when they were so generous with all the other DK games in terms of remixes. The fact that the two games in the series most associated with Dixie are conspicuously lacking in the music department is reason for notice.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I mean, for K. Rool, having Dedede be in disguise of him worked because Dedede was in the game already, and K. Rool was a villain with no friendship or connection with Dedede (and Dedede being a minor antagonist himself). I feel like having Dixie Kong beat up her own sister in a trailer cutscene is a little out of character. (I know in the game they beat each other up all the time, it's just that you didn't exactly see any of them beat up their friends in the Subspace Emissary cutscenes or Smash 4/Ultimate CGI trailers).
Dixie Kong hates Tiny Kong.
Tiny took her place in DK64.
If I were a small gorilla with two types of hair and was replaced with another small gorilla with two types of hair, I would also hate my sister, too.

It's actually the most accurate part of what I wrote.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I think it's fine to keep this thread alive. I think the way to go forward would be to do as the Isaac fans are: get our character into more games. We need to make sure there's no six-year hiatus for her adventures again, and the way to do that is by showing Nintendo how much we care about the character. Making sure she stays in the next Donkey Kong Country, getting her into Mario spin-offs, anything helps in the long run. That's the approach the K Rool people (myself one of them) did last time.
This is absolutely the correct approach to have going forward with Dixie Kong. She was going well during the 2000s in terms of appearing in both DK and Mario spinoffs. Dixie Kong was playable in Donkey Konga 2, Donkey Kong 3, the Paon DK trilogy, and Diddy Kong Racing DS. In terms of Mario spinoffs, she was in Mario Superstars Baseball, Mario Hoops 3-on-3, and Mario Super Sluggers.

A lot of the characters you mentioned do have hope for Smash Bros. going forward. Isaac might very well be the most wanted character on the Western side of things right now, and Lyn has a massive fanbase as well. Toad is among the few Nintendo icons not already in Smash Bros. (though he now has to compete with Waluigi and Geno). Dixie Kong is again one of the few Nintendo icons not yet playable in Smash Bros.

Lip, Saki, and Takamaru all have fantastic Mii costumes in Ultimate.

For myself, from June 2015 to April 2018, I was gone for nearly three years from the speculation and character support Smash Bros. community. After Smash 4's release (especially in November 2014), I felt I was done with speculation because I was genuinely fatigued with it (I had much less time for it too),. It also seemed as though Ridley was never going to be added in, and it looked like Roy was most likely not going to be DLC. When Roy actually did manage to come back as DLC, I felt that was a good point to leave.

I felt content with Smash Bros. through Smash 4 3DS and Project M. I felt even if I could not have Ridley in an official Smash Bros. title, I at least could enjoy him through fan mods. After Smash 4 DLC wrapped up, I gave little thought to the future of Smash Bros.

It was only Smash Bros. Switch being announced so soon after the end of Smash 4 DLC that I even came back for this round of speculation. It was a miracle that Ridley even got added in my opinion. I truly thought his fate was sealed after I read Sakurai's words on Ridley in November 2014. Getting every character back and Castlevania added to the series were two other miracles in my opinion.

We do not know what the future holds. I would never have thought a year ago that Ridley was going to be playable, that every character would return, and that Castlevania would be the only new third-party series added to the base roster.

Even look at the first two DLC fighters revealed. Joker and Piranha Plant. Almost no one saw the former coming, and no one saw the latter. There are four characters to be unveiled, and while I think at least one of them will probably be someone the core Smash Bros. fanbase really wanted, the rest are probably going to be surprises.

I do agree with the suggestions others have made about exploring other franchises that are featured in Smash Bros. Its possible you might end up becoming a big fan of a character already on the roster.

On a sidenote, if Dixie Kong really is no longer a contender for this round, I really wish she would have had an Mii outfit to go with her Mii hat. Maybe also release a Diddy Kong hat, and release a "Kong Suit" which could be Diddy's red shirt if the Mii is male and Dixie's pink shirt if the Mii is female. A lot of the Mii costumes are fine consolation prizes. Skull Kid and Ray MKIII in particular actually look like they are playable and not just Mii costumes. Isaac, Saki, and Lip were all also done really well too.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
The way you unlock Diddy Kong in World of Light was great. Won't spoil how but it was a treat.

Still, it made me sad that Dixie still isn't here.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Ultimate's growing on me. I'm readjusting to the changes on my boy Diddy but K. Rool, Inkling, and Simon are very fun to play as. I'm not even a Castlevania fan; never played any of them but I really like the representation.

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
No matter what happens with Smash, I think all of us keeping the discussion going and sharing our passion for the DK series and love for the characters is really important. Of course it's obvious to us that Dixie should be in Smash, but to the majority of players now, Dixie is barely a blip on the radar. The biggest problem the Dixie and DKC fanbase in general has is how quiet it can be. It might be over for Ultimate, but the future has never looked brighter for the DK series as it does right now. A healthy DK series means a higher chance for Dixie in Smash, we need to start expressing ourselves more to Nintendo. DK sells, yet you can barely find people talking about it online. That needs to change.

GillyGrime

Smash Journeyman
I absolutely love Ultimate and its amazing roster, including the returning of K. Rool. That said, Dixie will always feel blatantly missing until she's added into Smash. As a huge DK series fan, seeing Fire Emblem have over double the reps is a bit salt-inducing to say the least (especially when half of them play almost identically). Even just adding Dixie would make the representation feel complete (though naturally I'm also open to Funky and any other quirky Kongs).

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
If Funky and Lanky were hanging from a ledge, Mufasa-style, I bet Dixie would save Lanky and drop Funky.

Go Dixie! The discerning hero we need

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I'm sad that I will never get the chance to seriously campaign for Lanky Kong because there's still Dixie, Cranky, and Funky in line.

Maybe in 70 years when I'm 92 and still invested in which monkeys I can play as in a party game.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Reflecting on all the changes between Ultimate and Smash 4, I'm reminded why making damage percentages and specific launch distances is useless when you come up with your own moveset. I was fascinated by Make Your Move when it was a thing, but I always thought adding those details was useless.

I say this because I'm thinking about making a new moveset for Dixie. I like my original one just fine, but there's always room for more ideas.

Gobliiin

Smash Apprentice
After having time to play the game and letting the dust settle I'm OK with Dixie not getting in if that's the case. She is no where near K. Rools position that if he didn't make it this time round he probably would have been officially dead and written out completely. Dixie is certainly alive and well with her recent playable appearance in Tropical Freeze so there's no worry about her at all.

However I still think this topic and talking about Dixie should carry on, proven by K. Rool Nintendo need to be shown how popular characters are for them to realise what they actually have at their disposal. I don't think Smash or Dixie is done after this round of DLC and we've only had the first reveal. It may be naive but I'm going to hold out for Dixie still coming at some point. Even if that makes me seem crazy and unrealistic it was even worse with waiting and wanting K. Rool and look where we stand on that now. In the mean time I'm just going to enjoy Ultimate and use Mii Brawler with the Dixie hat.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Reflecting on all the changes between Ultimate and Smash 4, I'm reminded why making damage percentages and specific launch distances is useless when you come up with your own moveset. I was fascinated by Make Your Move when it was a thing, but I always thought adding those details was useless.

I say this because I'm thinking about making a new moveset for Dixie. I like my original one just fine, but there's always room for more ideas.
There is seriously limitless potential with this character that no one else seems to realize. I'd really like an Animal Buddy-themed moveset--I think ultimately that might be my most-desired outcome for her. She could still do hair attacks using smashes and aerials while representing the Animal Buddies who until now have been completely absent in Smash.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
I kind of accepted Dixie's fate..... but then I played a 4 player match with DK, Diddy, King K Rool and a Mii with Dixie's hat and, damn, it really made me sad =(

It would have been perfect.

I may be delusional but I'm still cheering on Dixie for DLC.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
There is seriously limitless potential with this character that no one else seems to realize. I'd really like an Animal Buddy-themed moveset--I think ultimately that might be my most-desired outcome for her. She could still do hair attacks using smashes and aerials while representing the Animal Buddies who until now have been completely absent in Smash.
Yea I wanna think up something with Squitter. He's like the most tactical Animal Buddy in the series and web-attacks would be so cool lol

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Honestly, this is going to be the last Smash game for a long time, and next time there will be a bunch of characters cut, so it would still feel empty if Dixie got in then. DLC is the last chance she has to be able to interact with and fight every single veteran in the series up to this point, so I would really rather see her in this game than wait up to 10 years for the next. She more than deserves it.

Top Bottom