• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Whether or not you believe in the Star Fox Grand Prix rumors, there was speculation about Donkey Kong being a playable character in that game. Jon from GameXplain even talked about it on Twitter.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Whether or not you believe in the Star Fox Grand Prix rumors, there was speculation about Donkey Kong being a playable character in that game. Jon from GameXplain even talked about it on Twitter.
Any word on whether the other Kongs will show up? Would be weird not to have at least Diddy show up considering the inspirations.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Someone in a Dixie Kong suit approaches you at the Universal Studios -- Nintendo attraction. What do you do?

A) Shake her ponytail. "Thank you for your service, Ma'am."
B) Ask for a selfie. Post it online with the caption "#WheretheHairisDixie #OhThatsRight,HereSheIs".
C) Avoid her because you're too shy to go up to the Last Nintendo All Star.
D) Play air guitar with her and have a one sided conversation with her because the people in costumes don't talk.
E) Yell at her, incredulous that she would call herself the Last Nintendo All Star when Phanto from SMB2 is still out there. Arrested by Universal Studios Police.

StormC

Smash Hero
I think I said it earlier in this thread, but I don't have much reason to hope for free echo fighters considering they charged us for Mii costumes last time.

Someone in a Dixie Kong suit approaches you at the Universal Studios -- Nintendo attraction. What do you do?

B) Ask for a selfie. Post it online with the caption "#WheretheHairisDixie #OhThatsRight,HereSheIs".
D) Play air guitar with her and have a one sided conversation with her because the people in costumes don't talk.
E) Yell at her, incredulous that she would call herself the Last Nintendo All Star when Phanto from SMB2 is still out there. Arrested by Universal Studios Police.
Why is it not "HairSheIs?"

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Any word on whether the other Kongs will show up? Would be weird not to have at least Diddy show up considering the inspirations.
I don’t know. Even if the game turns out real and we get the game with Donkey Kong, there’s still a chance the game gets DLC. Furakawa mentioned that they want their games to have more DLC and i could see Diddy Kong coming as DLC like he did in Mario Tennis Aces.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
People keep saying Jungle Beat, King of Swing, and Jungle Climber are "spin-offs" but I view them as main series games considering that's all us DK fans got in the GCN/GBA/DS era outside of remakes (GBA DKC trilogy and Diddy Kong Racing DS). Barrel Blast and Mario vs. Donkey Kong is what I consider a "spin-off". But it's weird if those games were to release now in the midst of Retro's DKC games then yeah I'd definitely view them as spin-offs but at the time they were considered by Nintendo to be mainline DK games, granted not the ones a lot of us wanted but they were there..
I definitely think Jungle Beat is a mainline Donkey Kong game. Yes, it's very weird and has nothing to do with the Country games but it was still made by one of Nintendo's top teams.

I'd honestly be fine with a Jungle Beat 2 if they had at least Diddy as a partner character for Donkey similar to Returns and the animal buddies from the Rare games (or at least new buddies that are more in their style) instead of the ones we got in Jungle Beat. I feel like they could squeeze K. Rool in fairly easily too with him just being a recurring boss you brawl or something.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Jungle Beat was also made by the same team that went on to make Super Mario Galaxy and all the other 3D Mario's after. It's the only core DK platformer made by Nintendo themselves. As said, the Wii port removed the bongo controls for traditional controls and you can buy it off the Wii-U Virtual Console right now.

Jungle Beat is definitely a main series game/platformer. It's the only big DK game between DK64 and Donkey Kong Country Returns. I do think King of Swing/Jungle Climber fit more in the spinoff category since twirling on pegs has nothing to do with the main DK platformer gameplay, and I loved jungle climber and more should play it.

StormC

Smash Hero
The Paon games were what really kept my DK fandom together during the dark ages of the IP. Jungle Beat was fun for what it was, but King Of Swing and Jungle Climber allowed me to return to Rare's world when Nintendo didn't want to. Even Barrel Blast I enjoyed, although I never did unlock K. Rool...

This will be the first time I actually play as K. Rool in a video game, come to think of it. Never did multiplayer in King Of Swing, never unlocked him in Barrel Blast, and I never got Mario Sluggers.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I really don't think they did any of that. Not notable enough. The truth is all those spinoff games resulted in the DK fanbase ending up like this

Until DKC Returns and the excitement for Smash Brothers Wii U/3DS and Ultimate. I should probably say angst, too.

Last edited:

Vez

Smash Apprentice
Jungle Climber is somewhat of an underrated DK game (never did play King of Swing) but I always felt like the characters were completely off in the game. Cranky was the worst as he was incredibly jolly for some reason, but K. Rool felt like a poor Bowser knock-off as well. He had none of the personality he had in the Rare games. It always bugged me.

I liked seeing the reappearance of enemies like Flitter though and the fact it brought back the DK Coin/Hero Coin.

StormC

Smash Hero
I really don't think they did any of that. Not notable enough. The truth is all those spinoff games resulted in the DK fanbase ending up like this

Until DKC Returns and the excitement for Smash Brothers Wii U/3DS and Ultimate. I should probably say angst, too.

As someone who's been on-and-off DKVine since 2005, I can safely tell you those games probably kept the site alive. As well as raw rage at Jungle Beat.

Besides, I did say it was my fandom. :bobomb:

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Jungle Beat is without a doubt mainline. It’s just the black sheep of the series because it has no other characters except DK. I used to hate it back in the day but since DKC and the Kremlings are coming back, it’s definitely the most unique mainline game in the series now. Would love a port to the Switch.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
Jungle Climber is somewhat of an underrated DK game (never did play King of Swing) but I always felt like the characters were completely off in the game. Cranky was the worst as he was incredibly jolly for some reason, but K. Rool felt like a poor Bowser knock-off as well. He had none of the personality he had in the Rare games. It always bugged me.

I liked seeing the reappearance of enemies like Flitter though and the fact it brought back the DK Coin/Hero Coin.
You can skip King of Swing. It's not necessarily bad; it's just very short and very easy. You could probably beat it in less than 3 hours on your first playthrough.

I agree with your assessment of Cranky, but K. Rool had plenty of personality in Jungle Climber. He was as sinister as in DK64, but with the addition of a sense of humor. Bowser is always just roaring and stealing the princess, then you get to the end of the game, he roars, you beat him, and that's it. King K. Rool isn't nearly that one dimensional in any incarnation.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I think K. Rool's goofy dialogue in DKC3 was better than anything he said in Jungle Climber and he barely even said anything in DKC3. Yeah, I dunno, JC K. Rool was just really bland to me, I don't remember him having "a sense of humor" personally but I'll admit I haven't played the game in like a decade. Bowser doesn't just roar and steal the princess either, if anything I think I was being too harsh on Bowser as a character by comparing him to the blandness that is JC K. Rool but whatever.

TheTreasonousSnowmad

Smash Journeyman
I think K. Rool's goofy dialogue in DKC3 was better than anything he said in Jungle Climber and he barely even said anything in DKC3. Yeah, I dunno, JC K. Rool was just really bland to me, I don't remember him having "a sense of humor" personally but I'll admit I haven't played the game in like a decade. Bowser doesn't just roar and steal the princess either, if anything I think I was being too harsh on Bowser as a character by comparing him to the blandness that is JC K. Rool but whatever.
You're certainly mistaken. Bowser is as one dimensional and bland, personality-wise, as villains get. K. Rool in Jungle Climber wasn't super complex, but he was at least better written than Bowser's ever been.

"The Crystal Banana's power will be the undoing of the banana planet! Oh, sweet, creamy, potassium-rich irony! I hate bananas, anyway!"

That one line is better than anything Bowser has ever said.

Vez

Smash Apprentice
I actually remember that dialogue and it always felt more like something Bowser would say, ignoring the subject matter. It's incredibly dumb dialogue which is perfectly fitting for Bowser but not really for K. Rool. K. Rool's more of a slightly silly, slapstick character to me. They show a more serious and threatening side to him at the start of DK64 (and even then I wouldn't say he's that serious, he's clearly a parody of Blofeld here and has Darth Vader breathing as a joke about his girth) but by the end of it he's much more in line with how he was in the original Country trilogy. This is the character that looks at the screen like a muppet when he throws his crown in DKC1 and flaps his arms around like a weirdo in DKC3 every time he gets hit. In Jungle Climber he doesn't really do anything goofy or slapstick, heck he doesn't even dress-up, he's boring. #NotMyK.Rool

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I know Smash is the big goal here, but I can't help but feel Dixie would be perfect for Mario Tennis Aces as well.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

Definitely B)

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
As someone who's been on-and-off DKVine since 2005, I can safely tell you those games probably kept the site alive. As well as raw rage at Jungle Beat.

Besides, I did say it was my fandom. :bobomb:
My bad, misread. Misread and thought you meant the fandom at large.

I know Smash is the big goal here, but I can't help but feel Dixie would be perfect for Mario Tennis Aces as well.
She can use her hair as a racket.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
You just won't stop with the awesome fanart, eh Seashore? That's going on the Twitter for sure!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Dixie might be in as DLC using the base model as Diddy Kong.
Fake information is not cool.

Some random rando on gamefaqs said Dixie will be DLC. Difference is this guy has an account since 2013 so he's been on gamefaqs for a number of years:

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77244582

I know we don't believe random guys, random randos, and random nobodies, but it's interesting to see posts about her.
That person is 99% not telling the truth. I do find it believable that if Dixie Kong were to be DLC (or eventually become playable) that she would use Diddy Kong as a base. However, note that the person posting that information has the same username as the person who posted a similar statement in this very topic.

I'm just glad things are civil here. The Geno thread is seemingly in a civil war right now over Vergeben's Square leaks and went up 30 pages in one day of constant arguing.

We didn't get Dixie (yet), but she got a Mii hat and things are looking up for DK content in Smash in general. One of my other wanted, Skull Kid, got a fantastic Mii outfit that looks exactly like the character (check the video in the thread if you haven't seen it), and Zelda content in smash is better than I thought it would be. Every time a final Smash roster is revealed people will always be disappointed over whoever doesn't make it, it's been like this forever so I'm used to it. For most of us this is par the course as we've gone through this cycle so many times now.
The Mii hat is just as much bad news as good news. It easily could have been a "good enough" thrown in for us Dixie Kong fans as it could be an "appetizer". Overall, I am glad that she at least received some form of acknowledgement in Ultimate outside of a spirit.

As for your first statement, its a double edge sword. I personally do like the more peaceful atmosphere of the Dixie Kong thread (and the Dixie fanbase in general), however, by the same token we are easily ignored because they have never been loud with our support of this character. Dixie Kong is a character that most believe deserves to be in even among those who do not personally support her, however, she simply does not have many "loud" fans. It reminds me of Roy's fanbase honestly (lots of fans, but not many "loud" ones).
'
I do think Dixie and Captain Toad (along with Toadette as his alt), are the last Nintendo all-stars that really need to be added and Nintendo would want to push. Everyone else has a chance or has third party aspects to him, so who knows.
Keep in mind the only Nintendo newcomer we got as DLC was Corrin. We have no idea what characters are left that Nintendo themselves would want to push. However, it could easily be characters from Xenoblade, ARMS, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, or Bandana Dee just as much as it could be Dixie Kong and/or Toad/Toadette/Captain Toad. DLC is going to likely throw us a lot of curveballs.

For Smash 4 DLC, the conventional wisdom was that Roy was not going to be DLC (especially before Wolf), yet Roy returned and Wolf as DLC never happened. No one saw Ryu, Cloud, and Corrin coming either. Bayonette was not seen as likely either.

Already for Ultimate's DLC we have Piranha Plant as our first newcomer. While we will probably get a popular pick or two, there is definitely going to be a few more characters most of the speculation scene did not see coming.

I just picked up Tropical Freeze last night to pass some time before Ultimate and it really just made me think even more how strange it is that Dixie hasn't been in the game yet...Like truly she should have been in for Brawl. I wonder if she is ever going to get in? It feels like shes a true glaring omission from the roster?
I am glad you have taken a liking to Dixie Kong. In many way's she is the female Mario. She is a character that appeals to all kinds of demographics despite her feminine, girly design. Aside from Toad, I think she is the final character left from a veteran franchise that had the credentials to make it as far back as Brawl.

As for her ever getting in, she does stand a good chance of not ever making it in. Toad is pretty much the text book example that shows that being a franchise critical character does not guarantee that "your turn" will eventually happen. Dixie Kong is going to need a lot of luck and a big push.

As far as veteran franchises go, I do think she might be the final glaring omission from the roster. Toad and Bandana Dee have a strong case as well though.

With this thought....am I the only one who would’ve been perfectly fine with the cut veterans not coming back in order to have had these characters?
Dixie, Elma, captain Toad and more recent titles really would be amazing.
I’m happy the veterans are back...but I would rather have these instead :(
I am not attached to the entirety of Ultimate's roster, but even if it might have come at the cost of having Dixie Kong as a newcomer for the Switch iteration of Smash Bros., I am ecstatic every one came back because I just wanted to see everyone return one more time. Being at the forefront of the Roy fanbase made me sympathetic to the supporters of every cut veteran and veterans that are very vulnerable to being cut. Sakurai himself said that this title might be the only opportunity ever to do this, so I am glad he took it. It is a celebration of the series as a whole. Everyone returning was a pipe dream I never expected to happen, but I am glad it did.

We also got the very best newcomers that they could have put in with the slots they had. Ridley and K. Rool were the pinnacle picks as far as the core Smash Bros. fanbase goes. Inkling and Isabelle were the best picks they could have gone with to appeal to casual Nintendo fans. Simon and Ken are gaming icons that appeal to those outside of Smash Bros. fanbase. The echoes were all great picks too.

For me: all the veterans, K. Rool, Ridley, and Simon make me completely satisfied with this game alone. There are still some characters I want, but after everything we've gotten, anybody else moving forward is really a bonus at this point.
I feel the same. As I said before, Dixie Kong would basically be the cherry (or in her case, the banana) on top for the ultimate sundae that is Ultimate. It is truly something when even the clone newcomers for this game gave me hype.

Out of curiosity is Dixie the only new Mii character that ONLY got a hat and not a body? As far as I can tell every other new Mii character costume like Rex, Isaac, Spring Man, Saki, Chibi Robo, etc. got both a hat and body. Dixie is the only one who didn't?

For all we know the reason Dixie's hair looks so detailed is they ripped it off a working DLC model of her and just gave it to us early to tide us over till then. Possible theory.
Both Marx and the Arcade Bunny receive hats according to the data mine but do not have body costumes.

KremlingKuthroat19

Smash Cadet
Here’s a thought: if Dixie made it as a DLC character, what’d you want the stage to be? Obviously we have too many jungle stages. Do you think we should get a stage from DKC2 or DKC3 or Tropical Freeze? Or if we got Dixie as a promotional character for a new DK game, then we could get a stage based on the next game. Another possibility is we can get the Wii U stage back as DLC. We could also get a stage for K. Rool like Gangplank Galleon.

Here are my ideas for a potential stage:
-Potential new DK game stage
-Jungle Hijinx (Wii U)
-Rumble Falls (Brawl) (no thanks)
-Gangplank Galleon (stage for King K. Rool)
-Tropical Freeze stage (Windmill Hills, Grasslsnd Groove, Scorch N Torch, Frosty Fruits, Seashore War etc.)
-DKC2 stage (Crocodile Isle, Krazy Kremland, Bramble Scramble, Hornet Hole etc.)
-DKC3 stage (a stage of the overworld would be cool. Any other ideas?)
-Diddy Kong Racing stage (would be an awesome inclusion if Banjo ended up in the game)
-Mine cart stage (moving stage like Big Blue)

I feel like the best chance at a new stage would be either a stage based on a potential new game, Gangplank Galleon for King K. Rool or a mine cart stage. Mine carts are one of the most iconic aspects of DKC and it’d be a great tie in for the theme park ride :)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Very nice ideas. I would like to see Dixie came with Windmill Hills as her stage. That course gives me strong Diddy Kong Racing vibes and I love it.

StormC

Smash Hero
Tropical Freeze has virtually no content in Smash so a stage would be very appreciated. There's a lot of angles you could take it, but recently I thought it would be cool if there was a Mushroom Kingdom U sort of setup with Frozen DK Island - gives you a Greatest Hits of all the frozen areas from the game.

Re, cuts/veterans: I went into Ultimate thinking Cloud would be cut, and not only was he not, I got Snake and Wolf back. The sheer glee of that made me realize how genius Everyone Is Here was. Although it probably will never be done again, I'd be totally fine if the next Smash was just Ultimate's roster + Fighter Pass DLC + 6 newcomers/echo fighters. Being able to keep the whole cast really makes the game feel huge in its scope.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Tropical Freeze has virtually no content in Smash 4 so a stage would be very appreciated. There's a lot of angles you could take it, but recently I thought it would be cool if there was a Mushroom Kingdom U sort of setup with Frozen DK Island - gives you a Greatest Hits of all the frozen areas from the game.

Re, cuts/veterans: I went into Ultimate thinking Cloud would be cut, and not only was he not, I got Snake and Wolf back. The sheer glee of that made me realize how genius Everyone Is Here was. Although it probably will never be done again, I'd be totally fine if the next Smash was just Ultimate's roster + Fighter Pass DLC + 6 newcomers/echo fighters. Being able to keep the whole cast really makes the game feel huge in its scope.
If we could just... never cut a first party again... that would be awesome. Even more unlikely; no third party cuts either.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If we could just... never cut a first party again... that would be awesome. Even more unlikely; no third party cuts either.
I would be more fine with all the first party characters coming back forever more so then the 3rd party characters if I had to choose. But I would also wish for us to have everybody back forever if that was a option.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
As a Cloud main, it pains to admit it's probably better for everyone involved if he's cut next game so Square stops pulling their bullcrap.

Thankfully Ultimate will probably be the last time I'm heavily invested in the roster, anyway.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
As a Cloud main, it pains to admit it's probably better for everyone involved if he's cut next game so Square stops pulling their bullcrap.

Thankfully Ultimate will probably be the last time I'm heavily invested in the roster, anyway.
K. Rool and Ridley were 2 of the 3 of my most wanted characters and I finally got them both in this game. The only character or two I truly want left in Smash is Goemon and Banjo & Kazooie.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Here’s a thought: if Dixie made it as a DLC character, what’d you want the stage to be? Obviously we have too many jungle stages. Do you think we should get a stage from DKC2 or DKC3 or Tropical Freeze? Or if we got Dixie as a promotional character for a new DK game, then we could get a stage based on the next game. Another possibility is we can get the Wii U stage back as DLC. We could also get a stage for K. Rool like Gangplank Galleon.

Here are my ideas for a potential stage:
-Potential new DK game stage
-Jungle Hijinx (Wii U)
-Rumble Falls (Brawl) (no thanks)
-Gangplank Galleon (stage for King K. Rool)
-Tropical Freeze stage (Windmill Hills, Grasslsnd Groove, Scorch N Torch, Frosty Fruits, Seashore War etc.)
-DKC2 stage (Crocodile Isle, Krazy Kremland, Bramble Scramble, Hornet Hole etc.)
-DKC3 stage (a stage of the overworld would be cool. Any other ideas?)
-Diddy Kong Racing stage (would be an awesome inclusion if Banjo ended up in the game)
-Mine cart stage (moving stage like Big Blue)

I feel like the best chance at a new stage would be either a stage based on a potential new game, Gangplank Galleon for King K. Rool or a mine cart stage. Mine carts are one of the most iconic aspects of DKC and it’d be a great tie in for the theme park ride :)
The Flying Kroc would be fantastic, too. I always had this idea that you could break through the ceiling and continue to fight on its roof.

Yeah...

Looks like my dreams of seeing more SE characters in Smash are dying further by the day. :(

StormC

Smash Hero
At this point I think the only thing disappointing roster-wise would be if none of the DLC particularly appealed to me. I said if Banjo-Kazooie got in, I would buy the Fighter Pass no matter what, but characters like Dixie and Bandana Dee would also give me something to work with. If it's a bunch of third party characters that I have no attachment to, I'll be buying them mostly for their stages. I guess that's what happens when almost everyone you already want is in; I'm overjoyed with the base game, but I do hope DLC appeals to my sensibilities as well. Smash 4 DLC really didn't much for me outside of Cloud and Mewtwo. If it's a wasteland of hype, then at least I can still say the base game was the best sixty dollar purchase of my life and I didn't need DLC for that.

Thankfully I'm pretty confident at least Banjo is coming thanks to datamining, so there's that. Dixie would complete the Rareware newcomer trifecta.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Cards on the table, Dixie will not be one of the five DLC newcomers for this game. Since we already know one will be a Square character and the other from Fire Emblem Treehouses, that's only three spots left, and I imagine Nintendo will want to bring in a bunch of third parties to make the game a better "crossover" rather than fill out what's already there. All of the work we do will be going towards the future, whatever that happens to entail.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Cards on the table, Dixie will not be one of the five DLC newcomers for this game. Since we already know one will be a Square character and the other from Fire Emblem Treehouses, that's only three spots left, and I imagine Nintendo will want to bring in a bunch of third parties to make the game a better "crossover" rather than fill out what's already there. All of the work we do will be going towards the future, whatever that happens to entail.
Although the thing is that PolarPanda PolarPanda relayed insider info that indicated a Wave 2 could happen if enough people push for it. This batch's success is crucial to that.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
I have absolutely no doubts whatsoever that we're getting a Treehouses character. I would bet actual money on it. How about, if we don't get a Treehouses character, I'll eat a Corrin amiibo?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm putting my money on the table on Porky being one of those 5 DLC characters because: of him not having a spirit, completely MIA, and Mother's 30th anniversary coming up next year with a potential announcement of Mother 3 finally being localized and released in the west.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
How do we "know" we're getting a FETH character? If it's the one in my avatar I'm totally cool with it, though.

And I'm assuming we "know" of the Square character from Vergeben.

Top Bottom