• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

StormC

Smash Hero
I wonder if they would put a realistic chimpazee voice for Dixie like DK and Diddy, or they would import her Tropical Freeze voice like they did with Banjo and Kazooie?

I would MUCH rather prefer the second case, it save costs and she sounds adorable in TF. Plus, hearing Banjo and Kazooie in-game with their OG voices is so heartwarming.

Sadly, the precedent of King K. Rool's realisitic crocodile voice (I don't mind that one actually, he sounds good) seems to point that she would have the realistic chimpazee treatment.
It's very inconsistent across the Nintendo owned characters. Bowser makes monster sounds but Bowser Jr. (and the Koopalings) have reused stock voices. I suppose for the DK characters and Bowser, they want to emphasize their animalistic nature while Jr. fights entirely with a clown car, so that would make less sense. Banjo & Kazooie not having their classic voices would cause riots given how iconic they are, though. Hearing Banjo's "whooooooOOOOOOOOOOA" for his star KO will never fail to make me smile.

So yeah, I assume if Dixie got in, she'd have stock chimp/monkey sounds.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's very inconsistent across the Nintendo owned characters. Bowser makes monster sounds but Bowser Jr. (and the Koopalings) have reused stock voices. I suppose for the DK characters and Bowser, they want to emphasize their animalistic nature while Jr. fights entirely with a clown car, so that would make less sense. Banjo & Kazooie not having their classic voices would cause riots given how iconic they are, though. Hearing Banjo's "whooooooOOOOOOOOOOA" for his star KO will never fail to make me smile.

So yeah, I assume if Dixie got in, she'd have stock chimp/monkey sounds.
If Banjo & Kazooie were owned by Nintendo we probably would have heard them with stock bear and bird sounds. But the fact they are owned by another developer Microsoft means they were very careful with how they are represented as it isn't Nintendo's characters.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
If Banjo & Kazooie were owned by Nintendo we probably would have heard them with stock bear and bird sounds. But the fact they are owned by another developer Microsoft means they were very careful with how they are represented as it isn't Nintendo's characters.
I don't know if it's that so much as the voice acting for the Banjo series is one of its most memorable parts, particularly the mumble talk. People would be pretty upset if they were replaced. Some of the voice clips chosen are weird, though (Banjo has a hurt sound from his Pack Whack voice sample).

I also love hearing Grunty's cackle when she flies by. But anyway.

For Dixie, I would love if they did a 3/3 on the K. Rool/Banjo trailer, but I wonder if post-Fighters Pass characters will get big fancy CG trailers.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Yeah I dont think any of the post fighters pass DLC characters will get CG trailers. I think they will just get Smash 4 DLC style character trailers where they try and tell a story just using in-game footage. Call it a hunch..

Juliusaurus

Smash Ace
NNID
Juliusaurus
I don't know... she might have a chance again? Nobody knows I guess, but hey, I'm back because yeah, I still really want Dixie playable in this thing! Complete the holy Rare trinity for Ultimate with King K. Rool, Banjo-Kazooie, and Dixie Kong. Whether as an Echo, semi-clone, newcomer, revived Spirit, who knows, they can literally do whatever they want for a second wave of DLC fighters. We're at the point where we can have a little bit of hope before it's crushed again.

Stock monkey sounds, with a higher/altered pitch works for me, heck, DKC2 and 3 reused Diddy's monkey sounds for Dixie iirc, so it's not that big of a deal.

What I want more than anything though is a Tropical Freeze stage with more Tropical Freeze music. Dixie would be the perfect character to bring that content along with her, if they deemed it important enough anyway... which they probably don't... but they should!!

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I think that will happen too.
They already spent a ton of the budget on this pass's DLC to the point we have those hilarous low budget Sakurai presentations (Which is a full win for me).

Many of the Smash 4 DLC fighters were heavily made using other characters as a base (Or the data miners say so).
So... I don't want to disrespect Dixie.
But the possibility that she gets chosen because she might be easy to make using Diddy as a base could be... very high.
That's why we had Wolf instead of Krystal in Brawl if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

paperosbronzo90

Smash Cadet
But the possibility that she gets chosen because she might be easy to make using Diddy as a base could be... very high.
I would be satisfied with a semi clone Dixie instead of no Dixie in this game.
We already have Dixie's Mii Hat (I hate it, btw), so if Nintendo wants to put semi clones/echoes in the second wave of DLC they could just use Diddy as a base with Dixie's Mii Hat (with the ponytail fully animated) and Dixie is nearly done. In the past I hated the idea of a semi-clone Dixie, but I really want to play as her in this game so I don't mind if she's a semi-clone

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am just starting to get worried that there won't be another DKC game for ages... That's my main concern at this point. With K.Rool being back in Ultimate I would've expected a new mainline DK game would be too priority. But I guess not....

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Remember that shooting for an Echo allows non-Dixie fans to write her off as low priority, thus lowers potential hype and gets her bypassed for more interesting choices. That allows people to make sure Dixie doesn't get in their preferred choice's way, and usually excludes her from many fan polls.

That's not even factoring in the condescending people who insist that all she's good for is Echo material, who will throw her under the bus 7 days a week. In Dixie's case, shooting for an Echo does more harm than good, which is ironic since it's supposed to be a compromise.

We gotta keep advertising what she can do with her hair that Diddy can't at all and even Shantae can't with her own hair. Not throwing shade at either character either; that's immature. Keep pointing out her abilities and logical extensions of it like creating gusts of wind. There's a lot of people who genuinely think that she's Diddy as a girl. Getting in with Echo status will solidify that for a long time.

ze9

Smash Ace
Well, using Diddy as a base doesn't imply that Dixie would be an echo or even a traditional clone. Cloud used Ike as a base and they don't share anything.
I think that already having some kind of basis in the game helps Dixie's chances. But we still don't know enough about future DLC, this is a totally unprecedented situation.

I agree that as a fanbase we should stan for fully unique Dixie. Also because they won't do echoes or very similar clones for DLC. The least we can expect if she gets in is a Lucas/Luigi/Wolf/Isabelle level of differences.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Well, using Diddy as a base doesn't imply that Dixie would be an echo or even a traditional clone. Cloud used Ike as a base and they don't share anything.
I think that already having some kind of basis in the game helps Dixie's chances. But we still don't know enough about future DLC, this is a totally unprecedented situation.

I agree that as a fanbase we should stan for fully unique Dixie. Also because they won't do echoes or very similar clones for DLC. The least we can expect if she gets in is a Lucas/Luigi/Wolf/Isabelle level of differences.
There's nothing wrong with using him as a base, the only problem comes in when her moveset is just Diddy's with a tweak or 3. Luigi/Lucas/Wolf-level are A-OK with me with the latter 2 especially. I would be very happy if she turns out like them at the minimum.

ze9

Smash Ace
Thinking about it, Dixie would probably get a tether grab. Maybe even a z-air.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I do think the wind idea, Dixie making gusts of wind with her hair, is a no-brainer. It makes sense for her character and for the Donkey Kong series. It is a natural extension of her abilities. And starting today, I think we should consider it "heavily rumored" for Donkey Kong 128 along with Dixie's new ability to hang from ceilings using wads of bubblegum at the tip of her hair.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
We got a shout out in PapaGeno's video!
He notes Dixie as the "Number 1 Nintendo character missing from Smash" (not counting Assist Trophies) and she is the first fully 1st Party character to be listed in the video (if Geno isn't to be counted, which I don't, because he's owned by Square Enix).

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I saw that video. I love how Dixie is getting more attention now after the big crocodile boy got in.

Another thing Dixie may have that is different from Diddy could be a cargo throw. But it's severely nerfed in comparison to DK's.
It's very useful against lightweights, but if she tries to cargo throw heavyweights like Bowser or K. Rool (Not Ridley because he's not that heavy RIP). The results are basically the same as trying to carry Kiddy in DKC3.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
I saw that video. I love how Dixie is getting more attention now after the big crocodile boy got in.

Another thing Dixie may have that is different from Diddy could be a cargo throw. But it's severely nerfed in comparison to DK's.
It's very useful against lightweights, but if she tries to cargo throw heavyweights like Bowser or K. Rool (Not Ridley because he's not that heavy RIP). The results are basically the same as trying to carry Kiddy in DKC3.
I like it! What if it was Dixie who threw K.Rool off Gruntilda's lair...and then the rock!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
[never mind]

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
not to be a pessimist or anything but whenever we talk about Dixie's chances of being DLC there's still this lingering thought in the back of my mind of "would they actually make a spirit character playable though?"

i just feel like its a little weird to have a playable character also be an equippable spirit that you can buy in the summoning shop or fight on the spirit board. like imagine playing the Dixie Kong spirit battle as Dixie Kong.

i mean if they wanted to put Dixie in the game i dont think that would stop them, but I'm wondering how that would be reconciled (if at all)
The same way it was weird to have two Mewtwo and Lucas trophies side by side in Smash 4, one Fighter and one non-Fighter?
EBNj5V-XYAc_rYO.jpg
The same way there are numerous spirits of Playable characters that while in a “different” form, are practically indistinguishable from the main character, especially in the actual gameplay when it’s just a tiny icon next to the character portrait at the bottom of the screen?
EAayaOdXkAE2ir_.jpeg

EAa5PM2XYAQ6NmW.jpeg
EAa5PM0XYAEO5H5.jpeg
EAa5PMzXoAEKaYs.jpeg
The same way it’s been weird since the beginning to have 4 or 8 different color palette swaps of a single character fighting each other?
250px-Alternate_costume.jpg

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
not to be a pessimist or anything but whenever we talk about Dixie's chances of being DLC there's still this lingering thought in the back of my mind of "would they actually make a spirit character playable though?"

i just feel like its a little weird to have a playable character also be an equippable spirit that you can buy in the summoning shop or fight on the spirit board. like imagine playing the Dixie Kong spirit battle as Dixie Kong.

i mean if they wanted to put Dixie in the game i dont think that would stop them, but I'm wondering how that would be reconciled (if at all)
That was definitely a consideration for the first Pass, but I don't think it will affect the second. There's no way they plannee THAT far ahead.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
[never mind]

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
trophies aren't really the same thing since they don't carry the kind of in-game relevance as spirits do, and all those spirits you listed are of special versions of characters (either specific game variants or in WFTs case, specific yoga poses they are simply demonstrating).

Dixie Kong's spirit isn't "Dixie Kong (Tropical Freeze)", its just "Dixie Kong", like the character as a whole.

Although... they could rebrand the spirit that way if she gets in...
For the vast majority of the time, you don’t even see the name of the spirit, it’s just a tiny picture at the bottom. It’s really not more weird than Wii Fit Trainer equipping a spirit of herself in a pose or Pikachu equipping the Partner Pikachu Spirit.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
[never mind]

Last edited:

paperosbronzo90

Smash Cadet
Although... they could rebrand the spirit that way if she gets in...
Yes, it won't be so difficult for Sakurai and his team to change the name of the spirit.
I think it would be suspicious to see the clear distinction in the name of a spirit if the characters isn't playable.
It would be a huge spoiler since only playable fighters have it.
That's just my opinion.

ze9

Smash Ace
I think just doing a Dixie Kong (Fighter) should be enough. Or they could rebrand the old spirit to Dixie Kong (Tropical Freeze). That's not really a big deal in my opinion.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
OR we wouldnt be having this conversation if Spirits/WoL didnt exist. I mean WoL IMO was/is terrible/long in the tooth and Spirits is just a lame reward in general a ".jpeg" really? I could just go on google and find these pictures.

WoL/Spirits IMO would've been wayy cooler if they made new 2D artwork of spirit characters exclusively seen in Ultimate. Yes its not as easy as doing quick google searches but it's nowhere near as hard as making full 3D Trophy models.

I mean Sakurai had to have known Spirits wouldnt be a "satisfying altrernative" to a playable character. I know he wanted to represent as many characters as possible but sometimes its better to leave people wanting more and not dashing fans dreams with .jpegs if the intention from the start would be that spirits would not be eligible as DLC characters. Spirits are worse than Assist trophies or Mii Costumes IMO. Because AT LEAST with those you can see your characters on the battlefield in SOME way also Assist and Costumes took a lot more effort than Spirits did/do to develop.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
well to me there's a clear distinction between Wii Fit Trainer representing Deep Breathing or Pikachu representing their Let's Go incarnation versus Dixie Kong just representing herself, with no other qualifications or specifications. Maybe all you really see is WFT or Pikachu but they're clearly meant to represent something specific.
Again, it was really weird and unprecedented to have Mewtwo and Lucas have both non fighter and fighter trophies next to each other at the time, but they didn’t really care and didn’t even bother changing the names. And trophies still appeared in gameplay, there were even entire modes centered on collecting them.

World of Light barely has any story anyway, we barely know anything about the Spirits, especially compared to the Subspace Emissary where Trophies were featured as the prominent gameplay element and shown in dozens of cutscenes, compared to 2-4 cutscenes for WOL. It’s clear no one really cares about Lore when it comes to Ultimate and Smash 4 compared to Brawl.

And finally, if already having full 3D models in the game didn’t stop them before, I doubt a PNG would.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
If they wanted to add a character with a spirit, I'm sure that the spirit would be a negligible concern.

I do agree that I would have liked new 2D artwork made just for Smash as unlockables. Those would be a lot of pictures, but I think it would be way more satisfying than the renders and artwork we've all seen for years and years. And probably at much lower cost than all the model creation.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
For the Fighter Spirit they can just bring the Rare render of Dixie. There are multiple spirits of Marios, Links, Samuses and Ridleys. Even 2 more King K. Rools.
At the end of the day. If they want to ignore the Dixie spirit. They will just do it.
Also. That spirit transforms into Dixie & Kiddie. Which I think is the same deal as having other Samus's Suits or different Links.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
>Challenging the "almighty" spirits deconfirm argument.

It's been said already, but why should a character be locked behind a glorified google image, when full 3D models with the same names had no power over anything last game? I just hope Sakurai & Co. had the idea of spirits with different intentions in mind all along.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Am just starting to get worried that there won't be another DKC game for ages... That's my main concern at this point. With K.Rool being back in Ultimate I would've expected a new mainline DK game would be too priority. But I guess not....
I don't expect to hear any news about DKCR 3 K. Rool Strikes Back! Until Metroid Prime Forever comes out. Sorry I stole your pun KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 .

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I'm actually very interested in Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair. I know it won't be as good as DKC2 or Tropical Freeze. But I hope at least its quality delivers to fill the void in the meanwhile.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
There are a only handful of developers out there that I can think of that Nintendo would actually have them work on the Donkey Kong franchise whether it's Country/3D/Spinoff.

1st/2nd Party Development Teams:

Retro Studios:
- Donkey Kong Country Series
- Metroid Prime Series

Nintendo EPD:
- Super Mario Series (2D/3D Games)
- Donkey Kong Jungle Beat

Next Level Games:
- Super Mario Strikers Series
- Luigi's Mansion series
- Punch Out !!!
- Metroid Prime: Federation Force

3rd Party Development Teams:

Ubisoft Milan/Paris:
- Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle and Donkey Kong Adventure DLC

Playtonic Games:
- Yooka-Laylee
- Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair

Not that Nintendo's in house teams aren't up to the task, But I would prefer if the Donkey Kong IP got handed over to a Western developer seeing how that's really the only time that the series actually thrived (Rareware & Retro Studios), I have said it before and I will say it again that my developer of choice would be Playtonic Games with co-development by Retro Studios (If they have the extra man power for assistance) to offset Playtonic Game's smaller development team.

Retro Studios has show that they are more than capable of carrying the franchise, But with them taking over Metroid Prime 4 development it may be a while if we get anything DK from them (Unless that was what they have been working on all those years or worse case scenario it got cancelled).

Next Level Games doesn't get mentoned much, But they have show that they are capable of handling Nintendo's IP and doing great games with them, The Super Mario Strikers Series is fun and they did a great job with Luigi's Mansion and with the 3rd game releasing next month which I feel will be the last one from them and in a while, I wouldn't mind seeing them take a crack at DK.

Don't know too much about Ubisoft Milan/Paris and didn't play Kingdom Battle because honestly for me the Rabbids were a dealbreaker and I don't have too much interest in the genre that they were tackling, But I heard it was still a great game and that they did a solid job with DK DLC, which Grant Kirkhope scored and the studio director (Davide Soliane) is a big fan of Rareware too.

I feel like these are the most qualified, likeliest and realistic choices for handling the Donkey Kong franchise and me personally hope it comes down to Retro Studios or Playtonic Games or and it's a long shot ,but if possible maybe even both.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
There are a only handful of developers out there that I can think of that Nintendo would actually have them work on the Donkey Kong franchise whether it's Country/3D/Spinoff.

Retro Studios:
- Metroid Prime Series

Nintendo EPD:

Next Level Games:
- Luigi's Mansion series
- Punch Out !!!

Ubisoft Milan/Paris:

Playtonic Games:
- Yooka-Laylee

Not that Nintendo's in house teams aren't up to the task, But I would prefer if the Donkey Kong IP got handed over to a Western developer seeing how that's really the only time that the series actually thrived (Rareware & Retro Studios), I have said it before and I will say it again that my developer of choice would be Playtonic Games with co-development by Retro Studios (If they have the extra man power for assistance) to offset Playtonic Game's smaller development team.

Retro Studios has show that they are more than capable of carrying the franchise, But with them taking over Metroid Prime 4 development it may be a while if we get anything DK from them (Unless that was what they have been working on all those years or worse case scenario it got cancelled).

Next Level Games doesn't get mentoned much, But they have show that they are capable of handling Nintendo's IP and doing great games with them, The Super Mario Strikers Series is fun and they did a great job with Luigi's Mansion and with the 3rd game releasing next month which I feel will be the last one from them and in a while, I wouldn't mind seeing them take a crack at DK.

Don't know too much about Ubisoft Milan/Paris and didn't play Kingdom Battle because honestly for me the Rabbids were a dealbreaker and I don't have too much interest in the genre that they were tackling, But I heard it was still a great game and that they did a solid job with DK DLC, which Grant Kirkhope scored and the studio director (Davide Soliane) is a big fan of Rareware too.

I feel like these are the most qualified, likeliest and realistic choices for handling the Donkey Kong franchise and me personally hope it comes down to Retro Studios or Playtonic Games or and it's a long shot ,but if possible maybe even both.
You are forgetting Monster Games. The developers that ported Donkey Kong Country Returns to 3DS and also made the exclusive levels of that version. And those levels were actually very well made. They also helped Retro with Tropical Freeze (They are listed in the credits).

Well. Whoever takes the mantle of suceeding DK. If they don't know what to do or how to start. Like the Golden Sun or Paper Mario fandoms say. They can always remaster the first game(s) of the franchise to know what makes it special to the fans. Imagine the original trilogy getting the Crash treatment (Not the Spyro one, you had ONE job Activison).

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
You are forgetting Monster Games. The developers that ported Donkey Kong Country Returns to 3DS and also made the exclusive levels of that version. And those levels were actually very well made. They also helped Retro with Tropical Freeze (They are listed in the credits).

Well. Whoever takes the mantle of suceeding DK. If they don't know what to do or how to start. Like the Golden Sun or Paper Mario fandoms say. They can always remaster the first game(s) of the franchise to know what makes it special to the fans. Imagine the original trilogy getting the Crash treatment (Not the Spyro one, you had ONE job Activison).
Oh yeah completely forgot about them too, I heard they did good job withe 3DS exclusive levels on DKCR as I owned and only played the Wii version, But I feel like they are too small or unknown to take on the Donkey Kong IP and more of an assistance studio, Then again Playtonic Games is a small studio, But a lot of their staff worked on Donkey Kong before in the past under Rareware so they have credibility and experience, Plus I feel like they will treat Donkey Kong the best and reintroduce a lot of DKC Rareware era lore such as King K. Rool, Kremlings animal baddies and buddies.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Retro Studios:
- Metroid Prime Series

Nintendo EPD:

Next Level Games:
- Luigi's Mansion series
- Punch Out !!!

Ubisoft Milan/Paris:

Playtonic Games:
- Yooka-Laylee

Thinking big, Monolith Soft could also work well with co development of a Donkey Kong game, knowing that their assistance was also needed to make Breath of the Wild what it is.

In general, Nintendo just needs to pull the same amount of resources into Donkey Kong as they do for Zelda and Pokémon. Maybe that's a bit ambitious or farfetched, but there's lots of potential to be realized which they never fully lived up to, except a few cases as DKC, DKC2, and the two Retro Studio games.

All those developers seem capable, sure, but are they going to do the lore of DKC justice? That's my biggest concern at this point. Am dying for new quality games, yet am also hopeful of them not changing too much around. For example I love the Retro games but I dislike their buddy system. I don't want the franchise to outgrow the elements that I love most from it.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Thinking big, Monolith Soft could also work well with co development of a Donkey Kong game, knowing that their assistance was also needed to make Breath of the Wild what it is.

In general, Nintendo just needs to pull the same amount of resources into Donkey Kong as they do for Zelda and Pokémon. Maybe that's a bit ambitious or farfetched, but there's lots of potential to be realized which they never fully lived up to, except a few cases as DKC, DKC2, and the two Retro Studio games.

All those developers seem capable, sure, but are they going to do the lore of DKC justice? That's my biggest concern at this point. Am dying for new quality games, yet am also hopeful of them not changing too much around. For example I love the Retro games but I dislike their buddy system. I don't want the franchise to outgrow the elements that I love most from it.
Playtonic Games is built by some of the core original Donkey Kong Country team, I'm sure they will treat the franchise and world they created with the respect it deserves, I don't think I would want Monolith Soft working assisting with DK just because of the clash of styles between eastern and western development, I think they are more suited for JRPG/Open World games than cartoony platformers, If any Japanese studio is going to assist with DK I would have to go with the Super Mario team, But like I said I would rather have DK in the hands mainly western development.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think we can all agree that besides Rare themselves, Retro Studios is the next best developer to handle the DKC franchise as shown from their amazing work with Returns and Tropical Freeze.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Playtonic Games is built by some of the core original Donkey Kong Country team, I'm sure they will treat the franchise and world they created with the respect it deserves, I don't think I would want Monolith Soft working assisting with DK just because of the clash of styles between eastern and western development, I think they are more suited for JRPG/Open World games than cartoony platformers, If any Japanese studio is going to assist with DK I would have to go with the Super Mario team, But like I said I would rather have DK in the hands mainly western development.
Oh yes I won't disagree with that I just don't think it's likely that Playtonic is gonna handle DKC. Call it a hunch. I just don't see it happening that they will be developing for Nintendo alone after all this time.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Monolith is also always busy with the Xenoblade remaster, probably helping with the BOTW sequel too, AND the sequel Takahashi teased they are working on.
Monolith should assist Camelot with Golden Sun instead...

I don't think Playtonic would oppose to work on DK. In fact, I think they would LOVE to do it seeing what they always post on their social media. But I don't think Nintendo will want to make any deal with Playtonic until they prove themselves to be reliable like Platinum Games did.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I believe it might have been from their Yooka Laylee commentary videos on Youtube, but I remember Playtonic saying they have some partnerships in the pipeline that they were being very sneaky with. It could be anybody, of course. I think in terms of lore and world, Playtonic would be the one I would trust the most on that front.

Retro's games are incredible, but I don't get the sense they really care about DK's lore with evidence being the lack of Kremlings and animal buddies, making references to everything but DKC with the exception of Cranky's gramophone, and the characters' lack of... character. The idle animations from the Switch port of Tropical Freeze were the only time I felt they finally understood the characters' personalities. And like Diddy Kong said, I'm not a fan of Retro's buddy system or rather their insistence of using it over the tag team system. I'm not sure why they couldn't implement both of them.

The Rayman games are great so Ubisoft could work as well. As long as they don't shove those damn Rabbids in there, I would be fine if they took over.

Top Bottom