• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
In any case, we'll just have to agree to disagree until something comes up that'll make people think anything past the Fighter Pass is actually possible beyond Mii costumes.

And for the record, I hope to God that Sakurai actually will break even more habits with DLC this time around, most people think we'll just get nothing but new third parties and that'll be it for DLC once the Pass is complete...

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Expecting Mother 3 to be localized this year is like expecting Half Life 3 to be announced this year. You can, but don’t blame anyone but yourself when it doesn’t happen.
I said they might announce it, I didn't say they will. Also, the 3Oth anniversary of the Mother series is coming up this year remember? I would say Porky and Sylux is a lot more likely for DLC than any of the fan favorite characters that are spirits.

But why? Bowser and Ganondorf being playable didn't make Giga Bowser and Ganon underwhelming. If anything having :ultridley: and :ultdarksamus: as playable makes Sylux more underwhelming as a playable character than as a boss because he would be the THIRD Metroid Villain. Despite already having two playable Metroid Villains, we have NO Metroid or Earthbound bosses in the game, so he would be in a more unique role as a boss.

Is it? How do we know they don't have Spirits because they're planned to be bosses? Bosses are given their own unique spirits as well, you can only obtain them when they're beaten. Wouldn't be the first time they've done something like this, the same way Isaac and Shadow were hidden away initially, causing us all to think they're playable, only to be revealed as ATs at the very end. In fact for Shadow and Skull Kid, the earlier confirmations of Knuckles and the Moon caused us to conclude definitively they would be playable, and thus was not the case.

And honestly if those two are the picks, I'd rather just have all 3rd party DLC. I don't think the odds of ever getting a 3rd Mother character are very high, barring Ninten as a Ness echo, unless the series suddenly comes back from the dead. Dixie Kong and Elma would be probably the most feasible 1st Party DLC I care about at this point (although I also wouldn't mind a Rhythm Heaven Rep), since the rest of my picks were already confirmed as AT or are even more unlikely, and both of them have a glaring lack of music from the games they starred in and potential for a new stage.

As for Spirits, again, I view Spirits as the successor of Trophies. So Mewtwo and Lucas having trophies didn't stop them from being DLC. Spirits take even less work.
Giga Bowser and Ganon are transformations of Bowser and Ganondorf, so you can't put Sylux in their shoes. Saying Sylux would be a boss is like saying Skull Kid would be a boss which, Skull Kid wouldn't because Majora would be. Also, Mother Brain in her 2nd form from Super Metroid would be the ideal Metroid boss for Ultimate if there was one since :ultridley: is playable.

Dude, Porky and Sylux are more likely as DLC fighters right now than any of the fan favorite characters that are spirits.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I said they might announce it, I didn't say they will. Also, the 3Oth anniversary of the Mother series is coming up this year remember? I would say Porky and Sylux is a lot more likely for DLC than any of the fan favorite characters that are spirits.

Giga Bowser and Ganon are transformations of Bowser and Ganondorf, so you can't put Sylux in their shoes. Saying Sylux would be a boss is like saying Skull Kid would be a boss which, Skull Kid wouldn't because Majora would be. Also, Mother Brain in her 2nd form from Super Metroid would be the ideal Metroid boss for Ultimate if there was one since :ultridley: is playable.

Dude, Porky and Sylux are more likely as DLC fighters right now than any of the fan favorite characters that are spirits.
Sylux wasn't a trophy in Smash 4. Did that make him more likely then? Diddy Kong wasn't a trophy in Melee, Sakurai didn't make him playable, he just didn't include him at all. Again, them having no spirits makes them just as likely to be bosses as playable characters. Ridley's transformation from Boss to Playable status took an ENORMOUS amount of fan demand over the course of 20 years, I don't think Porky is in that position.

Why would Mother get a 3rd rep before F-Zero gets a 2nd?
I really don't know why not having Spirits makes them more likely? Why can't I put Sylux in their shoes, exactly?
Nothing about having Ridley or Dark Samus be playable makes Sylux underwhelming, especially since he's going to be a future villain anyway.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sylux wasn't a trophy in Smash 4. Did that make him more likely then? Diddy Kong wasn't a trophy in Melee, Sakurai didn't make him playable, he just didn't include him at all.

Why would Mother get a 3rd rep before F-Zero gets a 2nd?
I really don't know why not having Spirits makes them more likely? Why can't I put Sylux in their shoes, exactly?
Nothing about having Ridley or Dark Samus be playable makes Sylux underwhelming, especially since he's going to be a future villain anyway.

I guess Adeline's also more likely than Bandanna Dee then. I'll take that.
You make it sound like Porky and Sylux are minor and don't deserve to be playable. Porky is the co-antagonist of Mother 2/Earthbound and the main antagonist of Mother 3 so he's a very important Mother character and Sylux ls shaping up to probably be the main antagonist of Metroid Prime 4. So by your logic, Ridley and K. Rool should have been bosses instead of playable characters too right? Anyway, you shouldn't downplay a character's chances just because you don't want them or you don't like them because that's being bias.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
You make it sound like Porky and Sylux are minor and don't deserve to be playable. Porky is the co-antagonist of Mother 2/Earthbound and the main antagonist of Mother 3 so he's a very important Mother character and Sylux ls shaping up to probably be the main antagonist of Metroid Prime 4. So by your logic, Ridley and K. Rool should have been bosses instead of playable characters too right? Anyway, you shouldn't downplay a character's chances just because you don't want them or you don't like them because that's being bias.
Earthbound is a finished series and Metroid Prime 4 just got delayed again. So yes, they are minor and don't deserve to be playable. Maybe that's why they don't have spirits? We also really don't need a 3rd Metroid Villain, unless you want Metroid to become the next Fire Emblem and have the entire community despise it for being massively overepresented. I'd rather have Mother 3 be released to the West first than have yet another character rubbing it in my face that we don't have that game.

In a world where Golden Sun and Advance Wars get ROUTINELY rejected of just ONE representative because they are from dead series, why on earth would Mother get a 3rd Representative, especially when even Lucas wasn't even considered important enough to be in the base roster for Smash 4? This is coming from someone who's played and enjoyed the Mother series FAR more than the other two btw and has Mother 3 as one of my favorite RPGs of all time. On the incredibly small chance that they did get a 3rd rep in a future game (and be lucky enough not to have any cuts), it would at most be an echo like Ninten, not an entirely unique character, or even just Ninten as an alternate costume like Alph and the Koopalings. And I think Paula/Poo/Kumatora/Boney being in PK Starstorm was great enough in terms of satisfying fan service for this game honestly.

Ridley and K. Rool were added because of the ballot and have had FAR more requests than either of them. They are also more important in terms of series relevance and popularity respectively.

You make it sound like any fan favorite character that has been a Spirit is impossible. You shouldn't downplay Dixie Kong, Bandanna Dee, and all those other character's chances either, or you're just as bias.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Sylux isn't happening. I doubt Prime 4 would have been ready to release this year. Nintendo probably knew for a while they were going to reboot it.

As for Porky, he was probably planned as a boss but cut last minute along with any potential Spirits. There's not much reason to expect him.

You make it sound like Porky and Sylux are minor and don't deserve to be playable.
They... kind of are minor. I'm a Mother fan but I would never claim Porky is some big Nintendo character. Sylux as a character barely exists at the moment and was riding the hope that Prime 4 will make him notable, except now Prime 4 is a good 2-3 years off.

I'd be surprised if we got any first party characters as DLC. Of course, I know who they should add if they do...

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Look, I think the Earthbound series is really cool just as much as anyone does, but I kinda feel like it has an insane amount of content already for what it is. It's a nice interesting trilogy, but it's not so important that we need to be including every single major character from it. Ness and Lucas are already more than enough. Porky would really feel like overkill when there are still-running series like DK and Kirby that don't have their most prominent characters in yet.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm a huge EarthBound fan and I think the series is perfectly represented as is. A Ninten echo of Ness and a Duster assist trophy would be nice but it's not needed. We have a beautiful stage based on both EarthBound and EarthBound Beginnings, 2 entire stages based on EarthBound, and a Mother 3 stage. Ness and Lucas are perfect choices because they represent the two best games in the series.

My only gripe is that I wish we had more varied music. The only remixes we got in Ultimate were of songs that Smash had already remixed before. Some battle songs from the series would be nice, we only have one medley from Mother 3 for battle music. In characters though? I don't need or want Porky, or anyone else really.

Edit: please don't call the EarthBound series "dead". It's "finished", very different (i.e. I don't want nor expect the series to continue or get revived, nor do I think Nintendo is "neglecting" it).

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Earthbound is a dead series and Metroid Prime 4 just got delayed again. So yes, they are minor and don't deserve to be playable. Maybe that's why they don't have spirits? We also really don't need a 3rd Metroid Villain, unless you want Metroid to become the next Fire Emblem and have the entire community despise it for being massively overepresented. I'd rather have Mother 3 be released to the West first than have yet another character rubbing it in my face that we don't have that game.

In a world where Golden Sun and Advance Wars get ROUTINELY rejected of just ONE representative because they are from dead series, why on earth would Mother get a 3rd Representative, especially when even Lucas wasn't even considered important enough to be in the base roster for Smash 4? This is coming from someone who's played and enjoyed the Mother series FAR more than the other two btw and has Mother 3 as one of my favorite RPGs of all time. On the incredibly small chance that they did get a 3rd rep in a future game (and be lucky enough not to have any cuts), it would at most be an echo like Ninten, not an entirely unique character, or even just an alternate costume like Alph and the Koopalings. And I think Paula/Poo/Kumatora/Boney being in PK Starstorm was satisfying fan service for this game honestly.

Ridley and K. Rool were added because of the ballot and have had FAR more requests than either of them. They are also more important in terms of series relevance and popularity respectively.

You make it sound like any fan favorite character that has been a Spirit is impossible. You shouldn't downplay Dixie Kong, Bandanna Dee, and all those other character's chances either, or you're just as bias.
I knew that Ridley and K. Rool were added because of the Smash Ballot, I voted for K. Rool so you don't need to tell me something I already know.

Also, DLC bosses are very, very unlikely to be a thing, but still could happen though.

I didn't say that it's impossible for characters with spirits to get in as DLC. But as of right now, it isn't confirm yet that characters with spirits can still make it in.

I'm not downplaying any of the fan favorites, I'm just saying Sakurai will choose who ever he want's in and it's not always who we want or we think will get in. You can't read his mind and nether can I.

I'm done with arguing with you about this subject. Everybody let's get back to the topic of the thread.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
So they finally made a Dixie channel over at the Assist Alliance discord--once I realized it wasn't a campaign to get these characters playable, but rather just a hangout place for folks who are fans of overlooked characters, I took to it quite a bit. I'd appreciate if one of y'all could just head over there and endorse me for leader of the channel. https://discord.gg/pHF5jgf is the invite link.

Really not a big deal, but it'd be nice.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I didn't say that it's impossible for characters with spirits to get in as DLC. But as of right now, it isn't confirm yet that characters with spirits can still make it in.
Isn't confirmed yet that characters with spirits can't make it in either.

I'm done arguing too. This is a Dixie Kong support thread. I'll just get back to that.

Edit: please don't call the EarthBound series "dead". It's "finished", very different (i.e. I don't want nor expect the series to continue or get revived, nor do I think Nintendo is "neglecting" it).
Apologies. I'm aware there is a difference between franchises like Earthbound that have found their final resting place peacefully and franchises like F-Zero, Golden Sun, and Advance Wars that could have been continued but were killed off. Earthbound probably would have been considered "dead" after the cancellation of Earthbound 64 but before the release of the GBA Mother 3, but thankfully it was at least able to get its final entry in Japan.

I just wish it could get its final entry released here legitimately, because it technically is dead by this definition in all regions outside of Japan, in a strictly official sense, as most hardcore fans have played or at least watched an LP of the English Translation ROMs. But I digress.

Last edited:

Parallel_Falchion

Smash Lord
Is it safe for me to say I would've prefered a new DKC made by Retro? Metroid just had Samus Returns 3DS. Prime 4 was gonna be made anyway. There's studios for Metroid already. But why isn't Donkey Kong getting this love despite being overall more succesful and selling more? Why is my favorite franchise neglected yet again?
It's safe to say you would have preferred a new DKC by Retro. It's not safe to assume it would have happened even if they didn't just get put on Metroid Prime 4.

...It's actually the opposite of the situation when it was announced Retro was making a new DKC game.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
So how high do you guys think Dixie's chances are for DLC now that DKCR 3 probably won't be coming out anytime soon?

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So how high do you guys think Dixie's chances are for DLC now that DKCR 3 probably won't be coming out anytime soon?
I mean Tropical Freeze's Switch port is still less than a year old and it sold much better than the Wii U version, and Dixie was one of the most popular characters in that game. Games don't have to be upcoming so much as just recently released in terms of relevancy for characters.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Retro could still be working on a DK game as well. It's been close to 5 years since TF released and I'm assuming they just very recently started working on Prime 4. If they have another project (which I'm assuming they had to be working on something) it could get released this year. A lot of Nintendo titles get revealed and in less than a year they're released. Smash, Odyssey, Splatoon 2 and Arms all come to mind.

Or maybe it got scrapped. Or maybe someone else is working on DK (like Monster Games as I said in my previous post). All I'm saying it's not uncommon for a Nintendo game to release in a short time span, especially compared to other gaming companies.

Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing are coming out this year and we just found out about them a couple months ago. So we shouldn't give up on getting a new DK game!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Retro could still be working on a DK game as well. It's been close to 5 years since TF released and I'm assuming they just very recently started working on Prime 4. If they have another project (which I'm assuming they had to be working on something) it could get released this year. A lot of Nintendo titles get revealed and in less than a year they're released. Smash, Odyssey, Splatoon 2 and Arms all come to mind.

Or maybe it got scrapped. Or maybe someone else is working on DK (like Monster Games as I said in my previous post). All I'm saying it's not uncommon for a Nintendo game to release in a short time span, especially compared to other gaming companies.

Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing are coming out this year and we just found out about them a couple months ago. So we shouldn't give up on getting a new DK game!
I would really only prefer Retro to work on the DKC games. I wouldn't be too comfortable as of right now for another developer to work on the next DKC. I want to see Retro complete a trilogy and I want to see their take on K. Rool and the Kremlings.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
yeah ive been wondering about that. like i dont think Retro would necessarily have to drop whatever they were doing to work on Prime 4, especially if its already fairly close to completion. i know they're not a huge studio but i wouldn't be surprised if they could keep something on the back burner.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I've never wished more that Dixie was in DK64.
I think the main benefit for Dixie Kong with being in DK64 would have been more exposure among those who grew up with the N64 but not the SNES, as well as possibly being given some stuff that is unique to her (Diddy's jetpack and peanut popguns were introduced in DK64). She would definitely have been more requested though at the very least since it was among the highest selling of Nintendo 64 software.

That being said I think DK64 is easily the weakest of Rare's DK platformers (not counting the DK Land titles). I think both Banjo titles are also better titles than DK64. Personally, I would even go to say DK64 is as overrated as DKC3 is underrated. I am contemplating for one of the sections of my Dixie Kong essay to actually talk about DKC3 in length and why it is a great game.

How great would it be if Dixie actually just ended up being part of the fighter pass? How would the reactions be around here? I know I'd be ecstatic.
I would have the same reaction as I did for Roy's return in Smash 4 and Ridley's unveil. It would seem almost surreal it actually happened, but afterward I would feel immense hype.

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1088784096061317120

Looks like Retro Studios are working on Metroid Prime 4 after all!
I wonder what this means for the future of DKC :facepalm:
It is definitely possible that another studio is now handling DK, however, this also ties into what I said months ago about Dixie fans who felt her future was secure. There is now a very realistic scenario where we could go this generation without a new DK title, and Tropical Freeze might very well be the sole title for the Switch.

That being said, Retro Studios was definitely working on something for the last five years. and it is possible that it might be another DK project. However, it could also be that rumored Star Fox racing game or an entirely new IP. I think we will know at E3.

Yes. The story is finished. Itoi personally considers the Mother series as being wrapped up. I do think its possible we might get remakes or ports of the Mother games in the future though.

I do not think the development of a new DK title or lack thereof has a bearing on Dixie Kong's DLC prospects. As it stands, I do not think any of the characters for the Fighter's Pass are going to be Nintendo owned characters, which made that whole "Porky and Sylux are likely because they have no spirits in Ultimate" debate a bit strange considering Reggie said Joker is an example of the what to expect from the rest of the Fighter's Pass. Personally, I expect spirits for at least one of those two characters (Porky and/or Sylux) to show up in a future spirits event (there was three new spirits already released for a Mario-themed spirit event).

We might very well not get any more Nintendo character DLC after Piranha Plant's release. I think Mii costumes and spirits might be all that there is. There is a possibility though that they decide to make a few more echoes (2-3) independent of the pass and/or there is a second Fighter's Pass, of which there exists a possibility at least one of those characters will be Nintendo owned.

I am personally hoping that Dixie Kong does somehow make it in as DLC. I am not expecting it to happen. however, I still have hope in my heart for Dixie Kong to be DLC for Ultimate. It would truly be special.

On a sidenote, the Wii Shop Channel only has two days left, so if you have any points remaining in your Wii Shop Channel account you have to use them before the 30th.

Last edited:

DX_E

Smash Apprentice

Someone's missing... hmmm?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
View attachment 188958
Possibly one of my favorite fan arts because it includes several characters that should have been in (and some that are just extras) alongside the main cast.
Yes! Krystal, Dixie, Sephiroth, Medusa, and Viridi are in this amazing piece of art. :)

But seriously, Krystal and Dixie really should be in the roster.

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Ugh, I really want to like that mosaic, but of course it's yet another "full cast" drawing that excludes Alph. It especially annoys me when artists go out of their way to include Female Robin and Female Corrin and Male Wii Fit Trainer, but not a character who's in the game just as much as they are and isn't just a gender swap. It's like artists are going out of their way to leave him out.

Sorry, this is a DK thread, not a Pikmin one. But I had to vent that. It's nice that Dixie is on there.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'm happy and a little sad about Retro and Prime 4. On one hand I LOVED Prime 1-3 as the lore fascinated me and their creature designs stimulated my imagination. I'd spend months upon months beating each game when everyone else around me gave up on them in favor of something more fun. The Ing in particular were some of my biggest adversaries of the gamecube era; I thought they were so terrifying and cool. And while Corruption took a backseat to Mario Galaxy, I still appreciated the game, especially Rundas and Skytown.

On the other hand, DK is my favorite Nintendo franchise and I was ecstatic to see Retro be the developers. My love for Tropical Freeze is even stronger, and I was hoping we'd get one more game out of them to top it. Obviously we know what Retro's main focus is now, but bear in mind that they're assisting with development. Were they working on something else before jumping in on Prime 4? Hopefully, and maybe it's practically complete as is, leaving Retro free enough to go to Prime 4.

Whatever it is I really hope it's not Star Fox Racing. DKCR3 is ideal, but if it's a main Star Fox game then that's fine too.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Piranha Plant has been confirmed to have a Palutena’s Guidance conversation, meaning all the DLC characters will probably have them, unlike Smash 4.

That was one of the most upsetting parts about Dixie not getting into the base roster, but I guess that’s one less worry if she gets in as DLC.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Finally finished the Squitter set for MK8! Thankfully I don't think any of the other animal buddies will be as complicated :laugh:

Last edited:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Sweet. Merciful. ZEUS.
Shut up and TAKE IT, DAMN YOU!.gif

Seashore, you're flexing again...
Don't you know a Ninty of America employee winces from seeing untapped gold concepts from fans, such as yours?

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Finally finished the Squitter set for MK8! Thankfully I don't think any of the other animal buddies will be as complicated :laugh:

That's amazing! I love the web glider idea!

"**** retirement!" -- Eveline Fischer from DKC1 and DKC3

The prophecy is fulfilled.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Ugh, I really want to like that mosaic, but of course it's yet another "full cast" drawing that excludes Alph. It especially annoys me when artists go out of their way to include Female Robin and Female Corrin and Male Wii Fit Trainer, but not a character who's in the game just as much as they are and isn't just a gender swap. It's like artists are going out of their way to leave him out.

Sorry, this is a DK thread, not a Pikmin one. But I had to vent that. It's nice that Dixie is on there.
That's something that's annoyed to no end. The only explanation I can think of is that Pikmin not being that big of a series and Olimar being something of an unorthodox fighter adds to people not bothering to check on Alph. The poor little guy's like a hidden character without actually being a hidden character...

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

That's something that's annoyed to no end. The only explanation I can think of is that Pikmin not being that big of a series and Olimar being something of an unorthodox fighter adds to people not bothering to check on Alph. The poor little guy's like a hidden character without actually being a hidden character...
Well at least he’s in the game at all. That’s more that can be said for the characters who are in that panel but not playable.
(And literally every other Pikmin protagonist that could have been an alt of Olimar).

There are plenty of artists that do include Alph. Of course, almost all of them wouldn’t include Dixie Kong or any of the ATs because they work on a strictly playable status, which is what makes this one so special.
Pretty sure Alph is included a lot more than Dixie Kong in these "Full Cast" drawings.

Last edited:

Sabertooth

Smash Ace
Yeah SeashoreWar SeashoreWar , that Mario Kart art went over AMAZINGLY well. I'll post the Squitter one soon. You should totally make more of these, maybe with some more karts themed after Animal Buddies or even other Mario spin-off stuff.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Yeah SeashoreWar SeashoreWar , that Mario Kart art went over AMAZINGLY well. I'll post the Squitter one soon. You should totally make more of these, maybe with some more karts themed after Animal Buddies or even other Mario spin-off stuff.
Yeah I certainly wasn't expecting that much of a response :laugh: I guess it was good to tag some people in it.

Top Bottom