• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool Cranky Kong, Wrinkly Kong, Lanky Kong, Funky Kong, Kiddy Kong, Candy Kong, Banjo and Kazooie, Gruntilda, Tooty, Gobi, Brentilda, Mingella, Blobbelda, Mumbo Jumbo, Tiny Kong, Chunky Kong, Krunch, Joanna Dark, Dr. Carroll, Elvis, Conker, every single Pinata from Viva Pinata are packed inside DK's Treehouse somehow. The treehouse is about to explode because it has so many people in it. There are going to be A LOT of injuries, maybe even fatalities, something everyone is concerned about except Wrinkly. DK is shaking from the pressure of Gruntilda's butt on his face. Suddenly, everyone hears an ambulance sound outside.

It's Dr. Mario's silhouette! Everyone cheers. Before an accident happens, it's important to have a doctor on hand. But wait, that's not Dr. Mario.

It's DR SQUITTER AND HIS MEAT THERMOMETER RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Dixie Kong, King K. Rool Cranky Kong, Wrinkly Kong, Lanky Kong, Funky Kong, Kiddy Kong, Candy Kong, Banjo and Kazooie, Gruntilda, Tooty, Gobi, Brentilda, Mingella, Blobbelda, Mumbo Jumbo, Tiny Kong, Chunky Kong, Krunch, Joanna Dark, Dr. Carroll, Elvis, Conker, every single Pinata from Viva Pinata are packed inside DK's Treehouse somehow. The treehouse is about to explode because it has so many people in it. There are going to be A LOT of injuries, maybe even fatalities, something everyone is concerned about except Wrinkly. DK is shaking from the pressure of Gruntilda's butt on his face. Suddenly, everyone hears an ambulance sound outside.

It's Dr. Mario's silhouette! Everyone cheers. Before an accident happens, it's important to have a doctor on hand. But wait, that's not Dr. Mario.

It's DR SQUITTER AND HIS MEAT THERMOMETER RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!
9/10, you were only missing Fulgore, the JFG and Battletoads.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
Something neat I was just exposed to via DK Vine.

It's so surreal hearing the old Rare VAs speaking full phrases. Some of them...could be better, but I like how this miraculously matches my mental images of Dixie with an english accent, heh.

BonafideFella

Smash Journeyman
Greetings, fellow Dixie supporters! So I'm working on a fangame and since we're including Diddy and Dixie as a tag~team of sorts, I'm sure you'd be the ones to approach about doing their characters justice! Hope you enjoy, and I await your feedback!

didxie.PNG

Attachments

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Greetings, fellow Dixie supporters! So I'm working on a fangame and since we're including Diddy and Dixie as a tag~team of sorts, I'm sure you'd be the ones to approach about doing their characters justice! Hope you enjoy, and I await your feedback!

Right now it's a bit incomplete but if you are going for a tag team combo, try to make sure the two are as different from each other as possible.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I feel one weird thing about a Funky echo is that DK is too big in Smash. I think Funky would look strange as big as DK, who is actually bigger than K. Rool. I think DK's attacks are also a little too brutal for Funky.
I feel like the odd thing about Funky is that we basically are given Kongs by number, and number three is clearly Dixie. Four may be debatable- it could be Kiddy, or Tiny, or Lanky, or Cranky- but the third Kong is definitely Dixie, not Funky.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Did we have character height data, curious?

If Funky isn't significantly bigger than Donkey, at least not as big as Bowser, I think his size doesn't matter.

I feel like the odd thing about Funky is that we basically are given Kongs by number, and number three is clearly Dixie. Four may be debatable- it could be Kiddy, or Tiny, or Lanky, or Cranky- but the third Kong is definitely Dixie, not Funky.
Well what put Funky on the table is his potential as echo so....

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, it depends on whether they go by chronological order in character debut or not, in which case we'd get Cranky, Funky and then Dixie. Or just do whoever gets the most demand first.

Series entry number theory for the DK characters doesn't seem like it'd be a very sustainable assumption, honestly. Reminds me of the Kamen Rider number theory, heh.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well, it depends on whether they go by chronological order in character debut or not, in which case we'd get Cranky, Funky and then Dixie. Or just do whoever gets the most demand first.

Series entry number theory for the DK characters doesn't seem like it'd be a very sustainable assumption, honestly. Reminds me of the Kamen Rider number theory, heh.
Well, Dixie would be third in terms of playibility debut. Cranky and Funky were literally never fully playable in main platformers until Tropical Freeze. (And for Funky, this wasn't until the Switch version, which literally came out last year as of writing this comment).
We know Sakurai had been considering Dixie for Brawl and that she has a Mii Costume, unlike Cranky or Funky, so theoretically she should follow Chrom, K. Rool, and Isabelle's examples.
I'm pretty sure prior to the echo system being announced Funky was literally not on the radar, while Dixie was probably at least somewhat on the Ballot.
Whatever the case, it's interesting to look back at stuff like this these days. I would be peeved at the 2nd place being over 3rd place, but then I look at 1st place and realize that it has no bearing (also how Isabelle was so talked about as an echo and she ended up having her own number).

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, Dixie would be third in terms of playibility debut. Cranky and Funky were literally never fully playable in main platformers until Tropical Freeze.
We know Sakurai had been considering Dixie for Brawl and that she has a Mii Costume, unlike Cranky or Funky, so theoretically she should follow Chrom, K. Rool, and Isabelle's examples.
I'm pretty sure prior to the echo system being announced Funky was literally not on the radar, while Dixie was probably at least somewhat on the Ballot.
Whatever the case, it's interesting to look back at stuff like this these days. I would be peeved at the 2nd place being over 3rd place, but then I look at 1st place and realize that it has no bearing (also how Isabelle was so talked about as an echo and she ended up having her own number).
We do at least know that Lanky got some demand too, if mostly just for meme reasons. :p

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pw5m-b4JHJ0_cGRKU15KYlTe1E/edit#gid=729442469

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Man waiting 6-7 years between new DK games is getting real f***** old. Just sayin'
That does suck we have to wait that long for another DKC game. But just be thankful that you ain't a big Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja/Banjo-Kazooie fan like me who's been waiting for a new entries for those franchises for a decade or a decade and half. A franchise getting a new game once in 6 to 7 years is better than it being dead like my favorite franchises I mentioned above.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That does suck we have to wait that long for another DKC game. But just be thankful that you ain't a big Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja/Banjo-Kazooie fan like me who's been waiting for a new entries for those franchises for a decade or a decade and half. A franchise getting a new game once in 6 to 7 years is better than it being dead like my favorite franchises I mentioned above.
And even then you'd hope that the game you finally get isn't a monkey paw wish. *points to Contra Rogue Corps*

Justin Little

Smash Ace
The DK series have unnecessary long gaps in between games ever since RARE left. It's become more annoying than anything. The series needs a dedicated studio behind like Fire Emblem has Intelligent Systems and Kirby has Hal Laboratory. As much as I love Retro Studios, they don't seem that kind of studio that wants to dedicate its life behind one series. It seems they were working on an entirely different game, perhaps a new IP, before things fell through and are now working on Metroid Prime 4. I hope whatever they were working on hasn't been cancelled, but it doesn't look good.

On a semi-related topic, I want to discuss this little new design in Smash that I don't see people talk about. First here is Diddy's old jetpack for comparison sake:
And here is Diddy's new jetpack from his final smash.

As you can see, they are pretty different. For a time, I thought they just simply metalized the jetpack, but no, they redesigned the whole thing. It looks a little futuristic right? I have a sneaking suspicion that this, right here folks, is actually from a new DK game in the works. Sakurai has teased Luigi's Mansion 3 with Luigi's moveset so I wouldn't put it past him to do the same for ole Diddy here. Perhaps, maybe Retro was working on new a DK game after all. Remember the robot hand from Reggie's farewell picture. Of course, this all speculation, but I do feel this is from something. If it is something, Dixie better be in it.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
I noticed that detail about Diddy's final smash, but I never made the connection with Reggie's picture. Who knows, at this point.
I don't feel that great about a new DK game of theirs, though, considering they just skipped E3 for like... the 6th consecutive year? Well anyways, le'ts hope we hear some news about DKC soon.
...and that they put Dixie in Ultimate.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
At least her support gets bigger every time. It was probably not that existent at the time of Melee, at least compared to Diddy Kong.
Bigger every time just in time for her to miss being in the last game in the series that brings back every veteran! The one that literally has Ultimate in the title and is described as the magnum opus of the series that will never be topped!
The one with K. Rool and Banjo freaking Kazooie!

If the next Smash is a reboot that cuts a bunch of characters I honestly don't even know if she's a guarantee then. I just pray they don't go the Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite route and have the bare minimum in terms of roster.

It's funny how she was treated better than Diddy Kong in Melee getting a trophy and all, and Sakurai originally was planning on having her debut alongside him in Brawl. Imagine a world where Dixie is in Smash two games before Rool and there is no game that has Diddy but not her. What a fall from grace, like a Prince that is groomed his entire childhood to be King only to be deposed right before his 18th Birthday (or I guess Princess before she becomes a Queen, since Dixie's a girl).

Is her support getting bigger? I keep hearing people outside this forum calling her "boring" which I'm getting incredibly sick and tired of.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Dixie's esclusion from Ultimate is kind of understandable. I'm talking strictly about the newcomer roster.
They wanted to focus on the biggest new faces, on the biggest fan-favorites, on easy clones and on 3d party collaborations. The characters that got in were all sensible choices and Dixie just kinda got lost in the shuffle. And in Brawl we know a ton of characters missed the cut.
...once again, I point my finger at Smash 4. That's where they really, really could and should have found a spot for her. Or for K. Rool (and then the other one in Ultimate). They certainly had enough space.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Dixie's esclusion from Ultimate is kind of understandable. I'm talking strictly about the newcomer roster.
They wanted to focus on the biggest new faces, on the biggest fan-favorites, on easy clones and on 3d party collaborations. The characters that got in were all sensible choices and Dixie just kinda got lost in the shuffle. And in Brawl we know a ton of characters missed the cut.
...once again, I point my finger at Smash 4. That's where they really, really could and should have found a spot for her. Or for K. Rool (and then the other one in Ultimate). They certainly had enough space.
Would probably be more willing to agree with this if it weren't for the fact that a Piranha Plant was in the roster.

Not really an easy clone, 3rd Party character, or a character that was high up in the polls or even on the radar, but hey, we clearly needed to prioritize giving Mario a 9th character (10th if you count Yoshi, 17th if you count the Koopalings) over DK's main heroine. The roster would have been NOTHING without a generic mook that absolutely no one on planet earth was asking for!

Let's see, now that the DLC Fighter's Pass is all but confirmed to focus on 3rd Parties, it meant they had room for one more 1st party character (which is why it was free and not part of the Pass, it was likely DLC because of time constraints). And they chose Plant. The last Nintendo All Star in their view.

I still point my finger at Ultimate. All of my fingers. And only at Ultimate.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Even worse is waiting 6-7 years for a new Smash game to see Dixie rejected again.
While yes that does suck and Dixie should've been added in Brawl. I must say Im a much bigger DKC fan than Smash fan. So yeah I want Dixie in Smash but I want the next big mainline DK game much more. Ultimate was hype to me mostly because of K.Rool. Cause K.Rool unlike Dixie IMO NEEDED to be added to Smash to save the character from falling into "irrelevancy" and "obscurity". K.Rool coming into Smash was much of a bigger deal to me because it wasn't just "I can finally play this character I've been wanting in since Melee." and more like "K.Rool in Ultimate is his last shot of him being in Smash or any games period! By him being added to Smash will make him a "gaming All-Star" and much harder to not include in the next DK game". Dixie at least had the privilige of being in Tropical Freeze in 2014. One of the best 2D platformers of all time and one of the better games on Wii U. Hell while both Dixie and K.Rool both appeared in Super Sluggers in 08 only to go on hiatus for awhile, Dixie still had the privilige of being playable in Konga 2, Konga 3, Mario Hoops, Mario Superstar Baseball, and Diddy Kong Racing DS all games K.Rool wasn't in. So yeah while it does suck Smash doesnt have Dixie yet Im still happy we as a community brought back K.Rool and the DK franchise got some representation this time around at all unlike Smash 4.

The DK series have unnecessary long gaps in between games ever since RARE left. It's become more annoying than anything. The series needs a dedicated studio behind like Fire Emblem has Intelligent Systems and Kirby has Hal Laboratory. As much as I love Retro Studios, they don't seem that kind of studio that wants to dedicate its life behind one series. It seems they were working on an entirely different game, perhaps a new IP, before things fell through and are now working on Metroid Prime 4. I hope whatever they were working on hasn't been cancelled, but it doesn't look good.
At this point I dont think Retro Studios wants to dedicate themselves to making games anymore at all. Lol Yes I know they're restarting Prime 4 development. But seriously what the hell have they been working on since Tropical Freeze finished development in late 2013 (other than the quick thrown together quick cash grab Switch port)? We're half way through 2019. It's been 6 YEARS! Im sorry no game takes THAT long to develop unless their project has a massive budget and scope (like a BOTW or Xenoblade) and I just dont see it based on their past projects and just willing to guess what Nintendo would allow/be willing to fund. So my theories are either A. Retro was working on a new IP it bombed creatively or was too ambitious and over budget so they had to scrap it (which Retro has a history of) or B. Retro was making nothing for 6 years and was just being used as like a "helper" development team on projects and doing the BBQ catering for NOA events in between.

I seriously dont know which studio is slower at making games Retro or Rocksteady? At least in Rocksteady's defense their games are at much bigger scope and scale than Retros. I love Returns and Tropical Freeze as much as the next guy but come on you honestly cant tell me they have the ambition, budget, scope, and time put into them as a Arkham City or Knight (even though I enjoy Tropical Freeze more than those games).

But anyway to close out this long rambling post. The DK series deserves better treatment. It SHOULD be one of Nintendo's pillar franchises like it was in the 90's (and even the 80's to a lesser extent). Losing a development studio like Rare shouldn't have slowed the series down for as long as it did/has. DK sells millions of copies it is Nintendo's 5th best selling franchise for christ sake! Unlike the series R RetrogamerMax listed above (bar Banjo), DK is actually a well known property and sells millions of copies each release so it has no excuse to be getting as little games as it does. No offense to those games/franchises he listed but come on..those series arent well known million selling franchises like DK. Imagine when the whole Infinity Ward thing happened with Activision/COD or Bungie thing with Microsoft/Halo they didnt go "well the creatives for our games/franchises have moved on so I guess we cant make these games as much anymore. 1 new Halo/COD game every 7 years from now on! With a couple crappy spin-offs and cameos in other franchises in between from now on!"

I mean seriously Nintendo needs to get it together with DK as a franchise. Even if you dont have a "dedicated studio" to develop games in the franchise anymore their are PLENTY of possible candidates out there that Im sure would love to work with the franchise in fact I think I will name a few:

Camelot- The president said in an interview they would love to make a DK64 sequel. So instead of having them make Mario Tennis #805 have them make a new 3D DK game.

Ubisoft- Ubisoft and Nintendo have become real good chums as of late Mario x Rabbids is a major Switch hit with most audience and critics adoring it. The DK Adventure DLC was a good start to what could become and then of course Starlink/StarFox crossover. While yes Starlink bombed on all platforms it still performed the best on Switch due to the Star Fox content. It even performd well enough on Switch to get a dedicated Star Fox DLC pack. So my suggestion is team up with the Rayman Legends development team and make a new 2D DK game using the Ubiart engine if Retro cant do it.

EAD Tokyo - While yes they are usually always busy working on the next 3D Mario game. We've seen they can branch out and do somethinf a bit smaller scale in between (Captain Toad) so I'm saying instead of making us wait years for a new DK game make a DKJB2 or something else unique with the DK IP.

Monster Games - They co-developed Tropical Freeze and did the 3DS port of Returns with a few new levels to boot. So obviously they been in the kitchen during the development of the series. Why not have them helm the 3rd entry in "Retro's trilogy" and just bring in a small Retro team in to help guide Monster Games through it. They also developed the highly overlooked and underrated racing Wii titles "Excite Truck" and "Excitebots: Trick Racing" so if they dont want them to make the next main DKC game at least let them develop a Diddy Kong Racing 2 or another DK racer of some sort whether that be Barrel Blast 2 (but done better this time) or reviving the animal buddy racer concept of the cancelled "Donkey Kong Racing".

Good Feel - Besides Retro Studios. Good Feel has made the best 2D platformers Nintendo has had in YEARS. Epic Yarn, Wario Land Shake-It, Wooly World, and Crafted World are all really good - great IMO. So why not let them take a stab at the old DK IP.

Playtonic games - Yes Yooka-Laylee was a disappointment to most. But the Impossible Lair is looking to be a much better and more focused game. Its taking a lot of inspiration from Tropical Freeze. Depending on how the game is recieved, if I were Nintendo I would go to them and be like "Look Retro is busy making Prime 4, how would you guys like to work on the next DKC game for old times sake?" Get the original Rare DKC crew back on the franchise?

Finally my last choice...

Next Level Games - This could work. I think they could make a really fun DK game. I have enjoyed everything they have done with Nintendo (ex. Federation Force). I more or less just want them to make the next DK game just for their animation skills alone. Punch-Out!!, Luigi's Mansion 3, and the Strikers series are all extremely well animated. They are like 3D animated cartoons that I think could fit a DK game really well. Imagine K.Rool and Funky Kong in a NLG developed title. They would basically be leaping out the screen due to animated over the top goodness. That being said as much as I think NLG could make a good DK game I think they have too many balls to juggle at the moment. I dont want to take them away from developing a new Strikers or sequel to Punch-Out!! after they finish Luigi's Mansion 3.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
Ah yes, Piranha Plant. Obviously, the most sensible choice of all, since it's not an easy clone, 3rd Party character, or a character that was high up in the polls or even on the radar, we clearly needed to prioritize giving Mario a 9th character (10th if you count Yoshi, 17th if you count the Koopalings) over DK's main heroine! The roster would have been NOTHING without a generic mook that absolutely no one on planet earth was asking for!

Let's see, now that the DLC Fighter's Pass is all but confirmed to focus on 3rd Parties, it meant they had room for one more 1st party character (which is why it was free and not part of the Pass). And they chose Plant. The last Nintendo All Star in their view.

I still point my finger at Ultimate. All of my fingers. And only at Ultimate.
Plant is the joke/unorthodox character, we get at least one in every game and we also got it in Ultimate. At least this time it was just one.
(I love Plant and I'd never trade it for anyone, maybe just Dixie but there's a ton of characters I'd rather give up before Plant)

My point is, this time Dixie was basically only competing with Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo, plus maybe Simon. It's a bummer, but there's no shame in losing to such characters.
Smash 4, though... that game was focusing on recent characters and on female characters and Dixie just had her big resurgence with Tropical Freeze, on top of having been a pretty big request for a very long time and also having got some work on Brawl, the very previous game. She should have been the first character to get selected.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Plant is the joke/unorthodox character, we get at least one in every game and we also got it in Ultimate. At least this time it was just one.
(I love Plant and I'd never trade it for anyone, maybe just Dixie but there's a ton of characters I'd rather give up before Plant)

My point is, this time Dixie was basically only competing with Ridley, K. Rool and Banjo, plus maybe Simon. It's a bummer, but there's no shame in losing to such characters.
Smash 4, though... that game was focusing on recent characters and on female characters and Dixie just had her big resurgence with Tropical Freeze, on top of having been a pretty big request for a very long time and also having got some work on Brawl, the very previous game. She should have been the first character to get selected.
Did we really need one this time though? Would there be a incredibly large amount of people disappointed at the lack of one? Was there a large gaping hole in the roster without one on the same level as Dixie's absence?
The difference between the Plant and previous “joke” characters is that all of the previous ones represented their own series, filling in a large part of Nintendo that was important to the company’s history, with Duck Hunt being one of the best selling NES titles due to being packaged with the original Super Mario Bros (in a single cartridge no less, meaning everyone who played Super Mario Bros would also have Duck Hunt there ready to boot as well) and the Dog being especially notorious among gaming culture at large due to his laugh, Wii Fit/Wii Fit Plus (and the casual Wii series in general) being some of the best selling games of all time, ROB at least partially helping to save the NES (and possibly the industry as a whole) after the video game market crash, and Game and Watch being Nintendo’s first console and pretty much the earliest Nintendo hardware to gain success in the video game industry. If Nintendo was a giant puzzle, each of these fill in a different essential piece.

Not only does Plant NOT do this, but it’s part of a series that is already MORE than well fed in terms of representation. And even if they HAD to have another Mario character, at the VERY LEAST they could have picked a character SOMEONE was asking for like Waluigi, Geno, or Captain Toad. (Not that any of them were high on my priority list compared to Dixie, but at least their actual characters.)

If they had added in someone like the Mach Rider or Takamaru as the Joke/Retro/Unorthodox character this time around, I wouldn’t have been out of my mind excited, but I could at least be somewhat tolerant on the basis that they do fill in a hole that was missing in Nintendo’s history.

Not give more to the series that had enough of the pie already.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
oh good more piranha plant discourse

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Did we need one this time though? Would there be a incredibly large amount of people disappointed at the lack of one?
The difference between the Plant and previous “joke” characters is that all of the previous ones represented their own series, filled in a large part of Nintendo that was important to the company’s history. Duck Hunt being one of the best selling NES titles due to being packaged with the original Super Mario Bros, Wii Fit being one of the best selling games of all time, ROB at least partially helping to save the NES after the video game market crash, and Game and Watch being Nintendo’s first console.

Not only does Plant NOT do this, but it’s part of a series that is already MORE than well fed in terms of representation.

If they had added in someone like the Mach Rider or Takamaru as the Joke/Retro/Unorthodox character this time around, I wouldn’t have been out of my mind excited, but I could at least be somewhat tolerant on the basis that they do fill in a hole that was missing in Nintendo’s history.

Not give more to the series that had enough of the pie already.
As someone who loves the wacky characters Smash always adds, I was disappointed at the lack of one. Piranha Plant doesn't satisfy that quota for me; it feels almost like somebody was trying to emulate that kind of pick but didn't understand what made it work.

Game & Watch, ROB, Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer. All of those characters were completely unexpected, to the point of not even being on the radar as characters for many, but as has been said they all bring something new beyond themselves to Smash: Their own universes. Music, stages, trophies/stickers/Spirits. They take new franchises and induct them into the Smash pantheon.

Plant does nothing of the sort. It brings nothing that couldn't come with anyone else.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
oh good more piranha plant discourse
Can’t help it when everyone keeps declaring the mere idea of 1st party DLC dead and boring and a complete waste and yet they excuse this guy on the mere notion that it’s a “free character”. Why couldn’t Dixie be that free character?

Also the fact that it’s a generic mook from an over represented series with no fanbase prior to its confirmation makes it the easiest punching bag in the roster. I didn’t necessarily fall in love with every newcomer in Ultimate, but Plant is the only one I fundamentally disagree with. It is literally the only character on the roster that I would trade out without shedding so much as a single tear.

Our “free character” last time was Mewtwo. A character cut from a previous game that had a large fanbase clamoring for its return and that played an important role in its series. A character that was built up to return to the game by the fanbase and prior to its confirmation was seen as one of the last essential missing pieces of the puzzle (that wasn't impeded by technical limitations). Hmmm..... sounds familiar.

I remember the day when Mewtwo was confirmed, I had felt the Smash 4 roster was perfect as could be at the time and I had felt more than satisfied. Lucas only extended this feeling. I only wish the 1st Party DLC Bonus for this game could have done the same.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Let's not derail the thread with off-topic hatred, thank you. This has nothing to do with Dixie Kong nor is tangibly related in any way.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
DK sells millions of copies it is Nintendo's 5th best selling franchise for christ sake! Unlike the series R RetrogamerMax listed above (bar Banjo), DK is actually a well known property and sells millions of copies each release so it has no excuse to be getting as little games as it does. No offense to those games/franchises he listed but come on..those series arent well known million selling franchises like DK.
I wasn't trying to compare the Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja series to the Donkey Kong Country series because Donkey Kong is on a completely different level to that series on every corner no matter how you look at it. I was just saying how lucky you DKC fans are for still receiving games. But I will say that the Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja series while niche in the west was popular Japan at one point especially in the 90s and has had 30 something games released. We westerns only got 4 of those games which is a shame becausethe Goemon games are some of the best games ever made. The Ganbare Goemon/Mystical Ninja is the most underrated video game franchise of all time and deserves to be loved by everyone that plays video games.

If you ever decide to check out the series, I highly recommend checking out Mystical Ninja: Starring Goemon and Goemon's Great Adventure on the N64. They're some of the best games on the console up there with Nintendo and Rare's games in every aspect.

Here is a little taste of how awesome this series is:

Good Feel - Besides Retro Studios. Good Feel has made the best 2D platformers Nintendo has had in YEARS. Epic Yarn, Wario Land Shake-It, Wooly World, and Crafted World are all really good - great IMO. So why not let them take a stab at the old DK IP.
funny you say that because the same team that developed those games at Good Feel are the same team of people that use to make the Goemon games at Konami. They left Konami in 2005 and we haven't had a mainline game since. They went to Nintendo around 2006 or 2007 and started Good Feel I believe. Look up Etsunobu Ebisu, he was the Goemon series producer and is now working at Good Feel making the Yarn Yoshi games with his team.

If you have any questions about the franchise, PM so we don't have to go off topic in the thread. Don't worry Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth I won't go too far with this topic outside of the Goemon thread like GoeGoe GoeGoe did back in the Geno thread awhile back.

Edit: I screwed up the spoiler coding in the quote and got everything mixed up into one post. But I fixed it though.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Hey I hope it's ok if I self-promote but I made a chiptune cover of Water World from SNES DKC3, and I thought that might be of interest to the folks in this thread:

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey I hope it's ok if I self-promote but I made a chiptune cover of Water World from SNES DKC3, and I thought that might be of interest to the folks in this thread:

It is OK and it's of interest to us since it concerns Dixie. I'll put it in the OP soon; if you have more DK or Dixie-related creations, never hesitate to share!

EDIT: But make sure you put spoiler tags around it to keep the thread from slowing down.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I should clarify that putting spoilers around video will not make the thread move faster. Every embed in itself adds to how fast a page goes. If you quote an embed, it doesn't mean there's "one embed", but it really means there's "two embeds", and so on. So please link to the videos sometimes as well. In addition, please remove Embeds from your quotes. :) We vastly appreciate the thought in trying to help threads move faster. The courtesy shown is really nice for all.

Noting this to BirthNote BirthNote as well.

Top Bottom