• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Do not respond to obvious trolling. Report it and let the moderation handle it. We're already on it as well.

J.I.L

Banned via Administration
Oh. This is actually a support thread for Dixie. Im sorry. I usually and mostly only stay on smash ultimate online forums, their forums have gone largely quiet lately so I’ve decided to explore other places. I got lost. Sorry for the disturbance. Hope you guys get Dixie Kong.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth you dare call me a troll? Watch yourself, woman. I don’t give a dam what your internet title is, I wont stand for such disrespect. I got lost, so I apologized and will take my leave. Goodbye.

Last edited:

Theanimator10

Smash Cadet
Dixie and Bomberman have been my two most wanted since brawl. It's unfortunate, because both are very unlikely at this point, as one is an AT and we most likely won't see her in this DLC pack. I do feel like we'll get 1 or 2 more packs that are similar to this DLC pack, and we could have a decent shot near the back end. If so, I think we'll get some echos, first and third party, and some unexpected characters. I think/hope Dixie will have a chance before ultimate is done.

Most wanted:

Bomberman
Dixie
Geno
Doomguy

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yes we can. If we put our voices together and demand significant changes to online, then we may be actually able to enjoy the game. Having new characters join the game is just temporary satisfaction... it will get stale, what’s long lasting is actually have a good mode so you can enjoy those character for a long time to come:

And I could give and squat about that monkey girl. Honestly, I find her pointless and should just be a skin of diddy Kong. Like corrin.
A yes, Corrin, my favorite Diddy Kong skin.

To answer your question, I don't play online, so I don't give a squat about whatever problems you might have with it.

J.I.L

A yes, Corrin, my favorite Diddy Kong skin.

To answer your question, I don't play online, so I don't give a squat about whatever problems you might have with it.
I like it, you're the few people I know who say "sqaut".

Anyway, I don't want to get another strike by ms. "cinderblock" over here for just mentioning the online system so I won't talik about that anymore.

But my point is, why cant dixie kong be like a diddy kong skin. The way how villiger, pokemon trainer and corrin both have skins with differnt genders. Heck, even bowswer jr. has differnt skins with differnt names.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
In case none of you have already read it or heard of it, I recently made an essay where I talk about various topics pertaining to the confirmation of Banjo-Kazooie and Hero. It is quite sizable at about 9,000 words, so only read it when you have time. It really goes to show how Ultimate continues to live up to its moniker:
https://smashboards.com/threads/ult...onfirmation-of-banjo-kazooie-and-hero.484937/

We were all so certain we wouldn't get a 6th Fire Emblem character last DLC cycle. Don't need to make conclusions before they happen, especially since Banjo freaking Kazooie just got in.
This whole defeatist attitude is exactly why Dixie gets passed over again and again. K Rool and Banjo were both less likely, but their fans screamed to the heavens, even in the face of "never gonna make it in" and they eventually made it in.
We have this weird paradox where Dixie is both too obvious and impossible to happen. If you want to avoid Dixie being passed over again later on, we as a whole need to scream as well.
I absolutely agree with this post. Dixie Kong has the worst of both worlds. She is believed to be an "obvious" addition so very few feel the need to shout for her inclusion, while at the same time those who really want her in feel pessimistic about her prospects of getting in for that particular installment. Dixie Kong fans need to be loud and passionate going forward if she is going to have any hope of getting in.

We are now five years since the last brand new Donkey Kong title. We could very well go this generation with Tropical Freeze being the only DK title on the Switch. Dixie Kong is likely going to need the same kind of push that K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie had going forward if she is even going to have a prayer of making the next game's roster (a title to which there likely be sizable cuts to the roster).

This game is almost perfect!

Only missing Dixie Kong!!!

And only 1 Xenoblade character feels a bit wrong too...
I said in the link above that ironically the last missing piece to the puzzle at this point is Dixie Kong, which is ironic given the puzzle piece motif to Banjo-Kazooie. Even with Toad, he is at least somewhat represented through his expanded role in Peach/Daisy's moveset (as well as the full Mii costume).

Still, this roster is absolutely phenomenal. It is far better than anything I would have dreamed of over a year ago. Banjo-Kazooie is yet another character that was considered a pipe dream until very recently, and Dragon Quest is one of gaming's most iconic franchises and one that is closely tied to the Nintendo brand.

I think a second DLC Fighter Pass is actually quite likely. The Switch will stay around for a while, and there will be more strong 1st party games coming just as Zelda BotW 2, Metroid Prime 4, and probably also a Donkey Kong game we haven’t seen yet. We might get new characters out of those games. It’s never too late. With how much love Banjo and K.Rool have been show , I can’t picture Dixie being out forever.
I am not optimistic on there being a second Fighters Pass. Even with Splatoon 2, the last Splatfest will be happening when the game turns two years old. Even with a second Fighters Pass, there a bunch of unknowns that could easily keep Dixie Kong from being a part of it.

The biggest thing Dixie Kong needs going forward is the kind of passion that K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie had. Until Dixie Kong fans get loud and passionate, she will continue to be overlooked.

Unfortunately, I do not feel like fighting for her in the 2020's. All I can offer is my planned essay outlining why I feel she is such a special character and her merits to be in Smash Bros. It will be an arduous fight, so aside from my essay, all I can do is lend my best wishes.

That trailer was perfect but it would have been even better if they revealed Dixie alongside Banjo. They revealed Roy alongside Ryu so it wouldn't have been out of the question.
As I said before, there was a small part of me expecting Dixie to pop in at some point in the trailer for Banjo (kind of like Richter for Simon's, or Incineroar for Ken/Incineroar's).

I think we can expect new Echo fighters honestly. Having all the Dragon Quest protagonists playable is a huge sign that this might happen, it might give hope for new character alternatives as Alph is to Olimar for example.

For example, we can get a whole lot of Fire Emblem alternative costumes fitting for the likes of Marth, Lucina, Roy and Chrom. There’s a lot of characters that would naturally fit, like Sigurd, Alm, Seliph, Leaf .. maybe some others as well as Eliwood maybe or something.

Anyway, Dixie could have a special treatment amongst these characters. Maybe Waddle Dee and Impa as well, or some silent fan favorite like Slippy Toad. I don’t think it’s over yet for the main Smash franchises. Especially with huge titles as Metroid Prime 4 and Zelda BotW 2: Rise of Zombie Ganondorf coming. Prime 4 might give us an unexpected Metroid newcomer, BotW 2 an unexpected Zelda newcomer, and maybe a new DKC game could give us Dixie finally.

Have some hope and faith. So far it has worked wonders for characters as Sonic, Mega Man, Mewtwo, Roy, Snake, K.Rool, Ridley and Banjo. I mean, what is even our competition at this point? Diddy even received some buffs and is likely gonna be a way more popular character than first, and that would pave a great way for Dixie with a move set similar to Diddy.

It’s time to rally all our Rare loving friends together for this final mission. There’s plenty of us what we’ve seen! Krystal also enjoys continued support despite being deconfirmed as Assist Trophy yet again. The K.Rool Kuttroath thread still lives, Banjo fans are far and wide everywhere on the site... We CAN do this!
Again, unfortunately I will have to disagree. I think if DLC echoes sold separately from the Fighters Pass were going to happen, one of them would have been announced at E3 (since there would probably be three of them in total). It is still technically possible, but I do not feel like there is any window or place to announce them. I feel Fighters Pass Character 4 will be announced in the probable September Direct, while Fighters Pass Character 5 announced in the December/January Direct. There are no more Smash Bros. focused Directs, which I feel would be the place to announce echo fighter DLC. Of couse anything is possible, but I think the probability for it is lower now than what it was prior to E3.

In regards to the latter point to your post, "having hope and faith" I can sympathize with that. I think we can still hope for Dixie Kong regardless of her prospects. I said before Ridley's confirmation in 2018 that I still had hope in my heart for Ridley despite things looking grim for him possibly being added. Of course, there are many, many times where hope ended up being dashed (just look at all the support threads on this board), but even if Dixie is not likely to be DLC, we should still allow ourselves to dream about it and have some hope.

We need to walk a tight rope between not being bitter because we did not get that "cherry on top", not being extremely pessimistic ("there is absolutely no chance she could happen"), and deluding ourselves that she is somehow likely to be DLC. A mixture of gratitude for what we have been given, a realistic appraisal of what is likely to happen, while still leaving room for a bit of hope that something miraculous could still happen.

Pleading myself guilty of this.

I don't know man, at this point having Banjo in the game and trying to rally for Dixie despite things still not looking great for her much, feels rather exhausting to me for now. If we won't be getting 2nd Fighters Pass, then she'd be missing probably biggest boat of all in videogaming history.

I've been wondering a while if to support any character after that Post-Ultimate and it's DLC after that - and it just doesn't feel enough to warrant so much energy from my end anymore like in last speculation eras. And well, the stakes would have been gone after we've reached this point in the series.

Technically anything could happen with last two slots, but I personally doubt Dixie would warrant a hyped spot for Fighters' Pass after last characters we've received so far. I can only hope for a miracle of an exception, much like that to Banjo and Kazooie after all that happened to them Post-Grinch Leak.
A lot of Dixie Kong supporters, including myself, feel the same way. We are a lot older than many other character fanbases, and we feel extremely satisfied with what Ultimate has given us. Ultimate was as good a curtain call as could be for very long time fans of Super Smash Bros.

I think for Dixie Kong going forward we need to attract young blood, and make people discover why Dixie is such a fantastic charming character. The essay I want to write I hope will at least give some new attention to her, and not just be preaching to the choir. Aside from that we need to encourage more people to play and experience the masterpieces that are DKC2, DKC3, and Tropical Freeze.

I imagine this thread is about to get a big boost from the KRool\Banjo crowd now that both are in. I think most of the KRool supporters jumped over to Banjo after KRool was announced and now both crowds will jump over here.
We shall see what happens. We have seen a few fresh faces pop in this thread, but she is going to need a lot of new supporters to replace the ones that will be "retiring" from character support and speculation after Ultimate wraps up.

Who knows if Banjo will even return in the next game? What if this Microsoft friendship is just temporary and in a few years they become massively ***** like some other companies we know?

That's why I wanted Dixie in this game. To be able to be alongside every single character in the series. I'd rather she have that honor than a Plant. I couldn't care less about her getting in the next game. To be in a game with massive cuts in the roster.
We cannot predict the future. However, most likely there will be some notable cuts for the next installment though. I do feel with you about wanting Dixie Kong to be a part of Ultimate's historic roster. For many of us who have been following the series from the very beginning, Dixie feels like the most conspicuous absence at this point.

However, we should still have gratitude for just about everything Ultimate has given us. Every single veteran returning, Ridley, K. Rool, Castlevania, Dragon Quest, Dark Samus, Chrom, and now Banjo-Kazooie were all miracles. Although Dixie did not make it (or rather most likely seems like she will not make it), we should still be grateful for all that we have given.

I will still cross my fingers for Dixie though. I still smile when I fool around with Ridley in training mode. I never thought I would ever be able to experience that especially a game that also had Dark Samus, Castlevania's Belmonts, Banjo-Kazooie, and every veteran on the roster.

I hope that with Banjo getting in this means Dixie is gonna get even more support now. It's no surprise that most K. Rool supporters jumped to Banjo after K. Rool got in, I don't know if they'll jump to Dixie next or if they'll go supporting other characters. It's looking likely that the fighters pass will be entirely third party, which doesn't bode well for Dixie getting in this game. We can talk about hypothetical echo fighter DLC and whatnot, but they are exactly that, hypothetical. We haven't gotten the slightest hint that we're getting more DLC after the fighters pass. And with Retro returning to Metroid it's unlikely we'll get another Donkey Kong game any time soon.

So what does this mean for Dixie? It means her supporters will have to work hard and keep their spirits up for the next game. As long as her fans continue to support her she will still be a strong candidate for the next Smash Bros.
This is a good post, I especially agree on your last statement. It is absolutely going to be up to Dixie fans working hard and keeping their spirits up if she is going to have hope for being a newcomer.

Ultimate has spoiled me so much (King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie?!), I feel pretty greedy demanding Dixie. She can wait until the next game, where she's as much of a sure thing as Waluigi. Is she more deserving than some of the characters currently in the roster? Of course, but no game is perfect. I advise you guys not to let your love of Dixie make you bitter, or stop you from enjoying the characters we do have.

Also, I highly doubt there'll be massive cuts in the next game. There'll be some cuts, sure. I expect every echo will be gone (or reduced to alts), as will all the characters rendered totally redundant by other characters, like Dr. Mario and Young Link. There's very little chance Banjo will be cut, as even if Microsoft suddenly turns dickish, keeping Banjo in Smash is free advertisement for them and their products (even if it's only merch).
Another very good post. I will admit too that Ultimate giving me so many things I thought to be "impossible" (Ridley, every veteran returning, Castlevania, etc.) has spoiled me rotten, and made me long for last remaining 5% that Ultimate did not give me in regard to my personal desires (Dixie). However, as I mentioned before, we should not lose sight of the many incredible things Ultimate has added in. For many of us long time fans, Ultimate has given us at least one thing that we are absolutely ecstatic about that we thought was "impossible" (or very unlikely).

However, I will disagree STRONGLY about Dixie being a sure thing in the future. She has a very cloudy future ahead of her. We are already five years from her last new game appearance, she now polls in the upper 20 to upper 30's, and much of her fanbase is in the process of aging out of the Smash Bubble. She is going to need new blood and passionate supporters going forward.

Waluigi was ruled out from the very start and his fanbase screamed to the heavens, amassing videos gaining millions of views begging for his inclusion, even enough to get an article in the Washington Post and an official response from Reggie.
Bandanna Waddle Dee was ruled out with similar circumstance to Dixie (1st Party, already represented franchise, Spirit) and yet he consistently scores among the top 3 in most fan polls. In fact, in this particular DLC poll his score actually rose from 4th to 3rd place. (Poll prior to games release, compared to DLC poll)

There's no excuse for us. K. Rool and Banjo got in before Dixie because their fanbases were vocal. The quieter we are, the greater chance she gets skipped again.
Thank you for posting this. It shows that being a first party character is no excuse for why Dixie does not have more support right now.

Steve Mayles just tweeted this. Should be an enormous boost of publicity.
It is good that he has brought attention to Dixie Kong. Hopefully, it will at least bring a few more supporters on board.

But my point is, why cant dixie kong be like a diddy kong skin. The way how villiger, pokemon trainer and corrin both have skins with differnt genders. Heck, even bowswer jr. has differnt skins with differnt names.
I am not sure if this comment is a troll, but there is a very, very good reason why Dixie could never work as a palette swap. Namely, the flight abilities to her hair is extremely iconic to her character and the one thing that is considered integral to her character abilities. At the very least she would have to be a Chrom-style echo due to this. Every single trophy appearance in Smash Bros. also makes note of her using her hair for flight.

Aside from that, she uses her hair for quite a few things such as attacking enemies and lifting barrels. However, the flight (or flight-like) abilities to her hair are something most people who are familiar with her know about her. It is her trademark.

All this being said, I hope to get more work done on my Dixie Kong essay (I actually discuss it a bit in the essay I linked at the beginning of this post). Keep in mind, there is a possibility that I might not complete it. On a positive note though, I did get another part of it written recently, however, it is far from completion still. As I said before, it is not going to be the be all end all in regards to Dixie Kong support, but rather a tool to which Dixie Kong supporters can utilize when supporting her during the 2020's. I will try to finish it some time before the end of the year. Key word is try.

Let us hope for the best going forward. Whether Dixie is DLC in Ultimate, or added for the next game, hopefully someday she is added in.

Last edited by a moderator:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Dixie Kong is a unique character with unique abilities. Gameplay is built into her design with her huge banana hair making her move meaningfully differently than Diddy, DK, and Kiddy. She also has a unique personality to Diddy.

In Smash Ultimate, even Dixie Kong's spirit battle isn't just Pink Diddy. It is Isabelle with a raccoon leaf. Additionally, Dixie's spirit's "final form" is "Dixie & Kiddy Kong", which might be a further clue as to how Dixie might be integrated in Smash. Definitely not as a palette swap. In fact, Sakurai is more likely to implement Kiddy Kong as a partner or a tool for Dixie Kong, where Dixie Kong could use her powerful hair to launch Kiddy Kong as a fat baby baseball.

StormC

Smash Hero
Saying "Dixie was more likely than K. Rool and Banjo but they still got in" seems like a weird way to quantify it. How would you gauge that? However it happened, both characters got in and Dixie didn't. Saying they were more likely is a meaningless distinction. The perception of "likeliness" doesn't matter after the fact.

Troykv

Smash Master
Saying "Dixie was more likely than K. Rool and Banjo but they still got in" seems like a weird way to quantify it. How would you gauge that? However it happened, both characters got in and Dixie didn't. Saying they were more likely is a meaningless distinction. The perception of "likeliness" doesn't matter after the fact.
Likeliness is based around ideas of patterns.

But patterns usually aren't consistent.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
I like it, you're the few people I know who say "sqaut".

Anyway, I don't want to get another strike by ms. "cinderblock" over here for just mentioning the online system so I won't talik about that anymore.

Well, we already have a color palette based on Dixie Kong for Diddy.

But the two play different in the games they come from. Dixie Kong uses her ponytail for combat and for double jump / gliding technically. Diddy uses a lot of tech Dixie has hasn't been affiliated with before. There also some instances where Diddy has used his tail to attack, whereas Dixie Kong lacks one.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for her to have worked like an Echo Fighter like Chrom, Where instead of sharing Diddy's Up Special, she could have taken Donkey Kong's (which is taken from Dixie in the first place) and use the Bubblegum weapon that Retro had given her in Tropical Freeze. But Dixie as a costume option like Alph, the Koopalings, the other Dragon Quest Heroes wouldn't really fit the character at all. Ideally she would probably be designed like Luigi to Mario, Falco to Fox, or Isabelle to Villager. A character the share similarities with another fighter, but with some striking differences in damage output, knockback angles, attack properties, etc. with some key different attacks thrown in. In Dixie's case it would have to be something that involves her hair, which would probably be disjointed.

J.I.L

Well, we already have a color palette based on Dixie Kong for Diddy.

But the two play different in the games they come from. Dixie Kong uses her ponytail for combat and for double jump / gliding technically. Diddy uses a lot of tech Dixie has hasn't been affiliated with before. There also some instances where Diddy has used his tail to attack, whereas Dixie Kong lacks one.

I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility for her to have worked like an Echo Fighter like Chrom, Where instead of sharing Diddy's Up Special, she could have taken Donkey Kong's (which is taken from Dixie in the first place) and use the Bubblegum weapon that Retro had given her in Tropical Freeze. But Dixie as a costume option like Alph, the Koopalings, the other Dragon Quest Heroes wouldn't really fit the character at all. Ideally she would probably be designed like Luigi to Mario, Falco to Fox, or Isabelle to Villager. A character the share similarities with another fighter, but with some striking differences in damage output, knockback angles, attack properties, etc. with some key different attacks thrown in. In Dixie's case it would have to be something that involves her hair, which would probably be disjointed.
Oh okay. Thanks for explanation. I didn’t really know much about Dixie Kong other then female version of diddy. Lol...
Yeah. Having as an entirely new character seems most logical. Don’t understand why smash invest so much into fire emblem characters but are now just getting around with donkey Kong people. Is it fanbase appeal?

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think Dixie down the road will get some sort of trailer highlighting her status as the big female Nintendo all-star not yet playable. Like maybe there’s a gathering of all the playable female characters, like that princess scene in Wreck-It Ralph, and Dixie comes in and shows them up or turns the tide of some fight.

It’s sort of hard doing support right now because the choices are already locked in and there’s this mentality that third party characters are inherently more “hype” DLC than first party characters, leaving characters like Dixie falling behind in current polls. Hopefully that’ll change once DLC wraps and (if she’s not in there somewhere) the shift is back to first parties. With a “new DK experience” somewhere in there too of course.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It’s sort of hard doing support right now because the choices are already locked in and there’s this mentality that third party characters are inherently more “hype” DLC than first party characters, leaving characters like Dixie falling behind in current polls.
Tell that to all the Porky and Bandanna Dee supporters who got their characters to rise in the polls since Joker's announcement.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh okay. Thanks for explanation. I didn’t really know much about Dixie Kong other then female version of diddy. Lol...
Yeah. Having as an entirely new character seems most logical. Don’t understand why smash invest so much into fire emblem characters but are now just getting around with donkey Kong people. Is it fanbase appeal?
I appreciate that you took the time to listen to our arguments and give Dixie a chance. To be honest I thought you were a troll and I'm glad to admit you proved me wrong.

Though I don't understand your comment about just getting around with DK characters, we've been at it for a long while. (For myself since 2008, I'm sure some for longer)

J.I.L

I appreciate that you took the time to listen to our arguments and give Dixie a chance. To be honest I thought you were a troll and I'm glad to admit you proved me wrong.

Though I don't understand your comment about just getting around with DK characters, we've been at it for a long while. (For myself since 2008, I'm sure some for longer)
Again, I was never trying to troll. I legitmatley got confused as to what the heck this thread was. I thought it was just a general discussion thread about smash ultimate and the owner of the thread just changes title when a new character come out. I thought this because I didn't think a thread about "dixie kong" could amass so many veiws and replies. But I guess she's that popular.

Look man, I don't really care who comes into the game or not. If you guys need me to sign my name somewhere for dixe kong, i'll do it just to help you guys out because if I were in your shoes, i'd want any help I can get. I just want the online sector of the game better...WAY BETTER... but that dosen't cocern you since you don't play online.

Dude, they just got around to making more then two DK players in like smash's5th game. and DK was in smash 64, marth came in melle. lol. Fire emblem already has like 11, I think. Or is it 8?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Again, I was never trying to troll. I legitmatley got confused as to what the heck this thread was. I thought it was just a general discussion thread about smash ultimate and the owner of the thread just changes title when a new character come out. I thought this because I didn't think a thread about "dixie kong" could amass so many veiws and replies. But I guess she's that popular.

Look man, I don't really care who comes into the game or not. If you guys need me to sign my name somewhere for dixe kong, i'll do it just to help you guys out because if I were in your shoes, i'd want any help I can get. I just want the online sector of the game better...WAY BETTER... but that dosen't cocern you since you don't play online.

Dude, they just got around to making more then two DK players in like smash's5th game. and DK was in smash 64, marth came in melle. lol. Fire emblem already has like 11, I think. Or is it 8?
I can't explain why Fire Emblem has so many characters, but I can say I don't agree with it.

I do think that Fire Emblem talk is probably off-topic though.

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
As KingKRool's trailer has explained why he was the prior choice, it's sad but might hint on that being best girls (not leading protagonists) is not a great garuntee for Smash, villains are at least as promising as they are now.

Well relunctantly Kazooie is officially the first RARE girl so that's even now.

Offtopic : on the other hand we seem to not really have iconic Nintendo female main villains/rivals on hand. I can only remember female Octolings and Captain Syrup. Would be nice if we at least had some like Gruntilda.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Offtopic : on the other hand we seem to not really have iconic Nintendo female main villains/rivals on hand. I can only remember female Octolings and Captain Syrup. Would be nice if we at least had some like Gruntilda.
Nintendo's current lineup of female characters (outside of ones already in Smash) is pretty weak. You have Dixie obviously, and a few characters like Elma and Impa, but most of them are tertiary or long abandoned characters. Even ones like Ribbon Girl lose their mascot status to Spring-Man.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Nintendo's current lineup of female characters (outside of ones already in Smash) is pretty weak. You have Dixie obviously, and a few characters like Elma and Impa, but most of them are tertiary or long abandoned characters. Even ones like Ribbon Girl lose their mascot status to Spring-Man.
Which is a shame because the lack of female newcomers in Ultimate has been abysmal. Is Isabelle and I guess Inkling (even though you can have a boy alt.) the only 2 female newcomers? Well I guess Daisy too but she is an echo (and sucks).

Nintendo's female characters are some of my favorites. Dixie Kong, Pauline, Krystal, Rosalina, Samus, Toadette, Medusa, Dr. Coyle, Pearl, Callie, Captain Syrup, Midna, Twintelle all rank very high on my favorite Nintendo characters list. All of these would be at least in the top 30.

Troykv

Smash Master
I would like to mention also the Fire Emblem Main Characters that are female, but I'm not sure how many of them are considered remarkable from them (the ones that aren't already in Smash are either mostly used for Cipher/Heroes or new characters yet to be proven their staying power).

ZelDan

Smash Master
I know alot of people are sick of FE representation, but I've always liked the idea of Lyn from FE7 being playable, to represent the first FE game that was sold outside Japan. I could see her being a more technical, flashy, and swift swordfighter, and maybe they'd even give her a bow for her specials.

Bonus points if she doesn't get a damn counter move...

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
No biggie, I mean you look at the two of 'em and at face value you're seeing more or less the same character but in Pink.

The FE franchise could use the promotional power a lot more than the DK IP, which in the past has shown to do wonders in gauging interest in FE after Melee and helping sales of Fates post-Corrin's reveal for the western release. I mean, you could argue the Dragon Quest franchise is likely being pushed to get a similar response from Western audiences.

The average person that knows what a video game is should be familiar with Donkey Kong at least I think, even if it's for entirely different reasons than the what the core fanbase knows and likes him for.

J.I.L

No biggie, I mean you look at the two of 'em and at face value you're seeing more or less the same character but in Pink.

The FE franchise could use the promotional power a lot more than the DK IP, which in the past has shown to do wonders in gauging interest in FE after Melee and helping sales of Fates post-Corrin's reveal for the western release. I mean, you could argue the Dragon Quest franchise is likely being pushed to get a similar response from Western audiences.

The average person that knows what a video game is should be familiar with Donkey Kong at least I think, even if it's for entirely different reasons than the what the core fanbase knows and likes him for.
But with all of that said, you’d think with DK popularity and known appeal, they’d have more then 3 (and eventually 4) characters in the roster while emblem has more. Mario is popular and they have a lot of characters in smash. Why not DK?

osby

Smash Obsessed
But with all of that said, you’d think with DK popularity and known appeal, they’d have more then 3 (and eventually 4) characters in the roster while emblem has more. Mario is popular and they have a lot of characters in smash. Why not DK?
Because franchise popularity isn't the only factor in character selection.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Diddy and King K.Rool joined wayyyyy too late.

That’s why.

Also I think Zelda and Kirby deserve new characters. Star Fox as well. Impa, Bandana Dee and Slippy Toad are almost as much missed as Dixie Kong I feel.

I agree with Lyn being a great choice for Fire Emblem as well. She isn’t definitely also my choice for a next FE newcomer. However because of her being an AT, like Isaac who I also desperately wanted in, I don’t expect it.

Last edited:

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
The Mario franchise is on a whole other level from any of the other series. It has the most sold games in history (Pokémon second despite being the best selling media franchise ever), and Mario of course is the poster child of Nintendo. Hence why those series have so many representatives. Not sure why FE has so many as well, but whatever.

But it is a crime that the DK series only had three and just reached that number with this game. I honestly can’t believe Dixie hasn’t gotten in yet. I know she was supposed to get in back during Brawl as one of those cut seven characters. It really doesn’t make sense why she still isn’t in by this game.

Then again the Kirby series still only has three reps and that’s Sakurai’s baby. I’m just really happy K. Rool and Banjo made it in as they were my second and third most wanted. Dixie would be great as well. We really need more female characters and she fits the bill perfectly.

I’m sure you guys would obviously want her to have her own unique move set, but would you guys have been cool with her getting in as a Diddy Echo? Or some kind of half clone like Isabelle is to Villager?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Pertaining to the 3rd Party franchises already in Smash, both Chun-Li and Terra Branford would be great picks and are incredibly iconic. (Terra because of how instrumental FF6 was for both the SNES and the JRPG genre).
Ms. Pacman and Jeanne would also be easy echoes.

Last edited:

[Maple]

Smash Journeyman
Before Ultimate my 5 most wanted were:

1. K Rool
2. Dixie
3. Banjo
4. Monster Hunter
5. Elma

So I'm lucky! I hope for Dixie in Smash.

Troykv

Smash Master
I know alot of people are sick of FE representation, but I've always liked the idea of Lyn from FE7 being playable, to represent the first FE game that was sold outside Japan. I could see her being a more technical, flashy, and swift swordfighter, and maybe they'd even give her a bow for her specials.

Bonus points if she doesn't get a damn counter move...
That is okay, there are some people that want characters despite being for overrepresented franchise, simply because they love the idea of how they would be implemented in Smash.

I'm also one of them, with Micaiah of course xD

Sponge

Smash Journeyman
It's a bummer that Dixie missed the boat, but I honestly can't complain. Never would I have imagined Banjo and Kazooie getting into Smash Bros. I can't be mad at Sakurai.

Looking on the bright side, she, Cranky and Funky got new life in Tropical Freeze. While K. Rool and Banjo got their time to shine in Smash. I'd say everybody wins.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Because franchise popularity isn't the only factor in character selection.
So true because if that was the case Zelda, DK, and Kirby would all have more fighters than Fire Emblem.

The Mario franchise is on a whole other level from any of the other series. It has the most sold games in history (Pokémon second despite being the best selling media franchise ever), and Mario of course is the poster child of Nintendo. Hence why those series have so many representatives. Not sure why FE has so many as well, but whatever.

But it is a crime that the DK series only had three and just reached that number with this game. I honestly can’t believe Dixie hasn’t gotten in yet. I know she was supposed to get in back during Brawl as one of those cut seven characters. It really doesn’t make sense why she still isn’t in by this game.

Then again the Kirby series still only has three reps and that’s Sakurai’s baby. I’m just really happy K. Rool and Banjo made it in as they were my second and third most wanted. Dixie would be great as well. We really need more female characters and she fits the bill perfectly.

I’m sure you guys would obviously want her to have her own unique move set, but would you guys have been cool with her getting in as a Diddy Echo? Or some kind of half clone like Isabelle is to Villager?
I would prefer Dixie to be a unique fighter or a semi-clone over a Echo.

Before Ultimate my 5 most wanted were:

1. K Rool
2. Dixie
3. Banjo
4. Monster Hunter
5. Elma

So I'm lucky! I hope for Dixie in Smash.
My top 5 before Ultimate were:

1. King K. Rool
2. Ridley
3. Goemon
4. Banjo & Kazooie
5. Krystal

I feel so damn lucky with this game that the fact I got three out of my five most wanted characters in because of the Ballot makes me feel like I won the lottery three times.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
To me it seems like a lot of people just see Dixie as a female Diddy, and thus she isn’t requested as much as other notable Nintendo characters, because they think she’d be an uninteresting addition, which is unfortunate. I think having a floaty fighter that mostly attacks with their hair would be cool.

I think she’s in the top four most deserving Nintendo characters alongside Waluigi, Bandana Dee, and Toad. The first two games she starred as a main playable character in were both massive successes, with the second one being her very own game named after her. Think about this; Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble alone sold more than the entirety of the Kid Icarus franchise, yet that series gets two unique fighters and an echo. I’m not trying to diss Kid Icarus, I love the series, but it is a little odd.

I understand Dixie lacking a major role in a game for many years is probably why she wasn’t added in previous installments, but now that she made her return in Tropical Freeze, and now that they brought K. Rool back... it’s time for Dixie to be in Smash. Unfortunately I doubt she will get in as DLC, because they seem to be focusing on guest characters, due to being more hype I guess.

Even if they do add Nintendo characters as DLC somewhere down the line they’ll probably go for more requested and quote unquote unique characters. I suppose I will have to wait for the next Smash game to potentially get Dixie Kong playable; (whenever that comes out) a game that will likely have an inferior roster to this one... yay.

I don’t want to come across as ungrateful, because I love this game and it’s roster to death, and I greatly appreciate all the work Sakurai and his team have put and continue to put into this game. I’m really grateful that we are getting DLC at all, but to me personally the roster just feels incomplete without Dixie.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
To me it seems like a lot of people just see Dixie as a female Diddy, and thus she isn’t requested as much as other notable Nintendo characters, because they think she’d be an uninteresting addition, which is unfortunate. I think having a floaty fighter that mostly attacks with their hair would be cool.

I think she’s in the top four most deserving Nintendo characters alongside Waluigi, Bandana Dee, and Toad. The first two games she starred as a main playable character in were both massive successes, with the second one being her very own game named after her. Think about this; Dixie Kong’s Double Trouble alone sold more than the entirety of the Kid Icarus franchise, yet that series gets two unique fighters and an echo. I’m not trying to diss Kid Icarus, I love the series, but it is a little odd.

I understand Dixie lacking a major role in a game for many years is probably why she wasn’t added in previous installments, but now that she made her return in Tropical Freeze, and now that they brought K. Rool back... it’s time for Dixie to be in Smash. Unfortunately I doubt she will get in as DLC, because they seem to be focusing on guest characters, due to being more hype I guess.

Even if they do add Nintendo characters as DLC somewhere down the line they’ll probably go for more requested and quote unquote unique characters. I suppose I will have to wait for the next Smash game to potentially get Dixie Kong playable; (whenever that comes out) a game that will likely have an inferior roster to this one... yay.

I don’t want to come across as ungrateful, because I love this game and it’s roster to death, and I greatly appreciate all the work Sakurai and his team have put and continue to put into this game. I’m really grateful that we are getting DLC at all, but to me personally the roster just feels incomplete without Dixie.
I agree, but I’d also throw Isaac in there as one of the most deserving Nintendo characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Dixie feels like that last Jiggy missing that would complete the picture. I think she deserves to be in Ultimate more than any other Nintendo character that isn't in yet.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Dixie feels like that last Jiggy missing that would complete the picture. I think she deserves to be in Ultimate more than any other Nintendo character that isn't in yet.
Seconded, it hurt enough to see K. Rool and Banjo get in without her (not that either of them didn't deserve it), but if by some miracle they do 1st party DLC for Ultimate and STILL exclude her, I'll be pissed off to say the least.

Adding on to my previous reply, Toadette has been a pretty big breakout character, being the secondary character of Captain Toad and player 4 in both NSMBD and Mario Maker 2. I think she could potentially become the Bandanna Dee of Mario if she keeps going at this rate and would be an ideal echo for Toad if he gets in.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Seconded, it hurt enough to see K. Rool and Banjo get in without her (not that either of them didn't deserve it), but if by some miracle they do 1st party DLC for Ultimate and STILL exclude her, I'll be pissed off to say the least.

Adding on to my comment before, Toadette has been a pretty big breakout character, being player 4 in both NSMBD and Mario Maker 2. I think she could potentially become the Bandanna Dee of Mario before long and would be an ideal echo for Toad if he gets in.
Same here. It would be a crime to pass her over if we get any more Nintendo characters for the DLC lineup in this game.

StormC

Smash Hero
Adding on to my previous reply, Toadette has been a pretty big breakout character, being player 4 in both NSMBD and Mario Maker 2. I think she could potentially become the Bandanna Dee of Mario before long and would be an ideal echo for Toad if he gets in.
That's one of the problems, a lot of potential female characters are still "waiting" for the male mascot to get in, like Toadette and Ribbon Girl.

Nintendo needs to do better on creating games with female characters in major roles.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
That's one of the problems, a lot of potential female characters are still "waiting" for the male mascot to get in, like Toadette and Ribbon Girl.

Nintendo needs to do better on creating games with female characters in major roles.
I think if Toad and Spring Man ever get in it shouldn't be too much extra work for Toadette and Ribbon Girl to be echos. Simon and Richter (and for a more retrograde example, Marth and Roy in Melee, even though they weren't called echos they were still clones) proved that it is possible for an original character and a clone/echo to get in the same game, so I wouldn't necessarily see the latter two waiting for an entire other game to get in.

Then again I expected the Dragon Quest hero to have female alts as well so I don't want to get too sure.

Last edited:
Top Bottom