• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ze9

Smash Ace
Each line I wrote is independent of the previous. This isn't some long conspiracy of connections, like trying to link multiple chains of crossovers in a single straight line, but rather building many individual chains to link two points.

The way you phrase it makes it look like I was trying to say that SMT crossed over with another series that crossed over with another series that crossed over with another series and that crossed over with Nintendo and that's why I was trying too hard to justify it, when in reality I was listing a long list of ties SMT directly had to Nintendo.
Yeah ok, but we didn't get a character from SMT. We got a character from the most recent Persona game which, like the rest of the Persona series, didn't ever come out on a Nintendo console. The Nintendo connection through SMT is feeble at best, and you could find some kind of connection like that for basically any non-Sony exlcusive videogame character under the sun.
Saying that Joker is connected to Nintendo is like saying that I personally know Robert Plant because a friend of a friend of mine hung up with him one time.

That's not inherently a bad thing, though. Some character not connected to Nintendo every once in a while is good and helps to keep things fresh, like Snake did in Brawl and Cloud in Smash 4. And Joker is fine, too.
It's just that I'm ok with ONE character like that, but absolutely not with a whole season of paid DLC.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah ok, but we didn't get a character from SMT. We got a character from the most recent Persona game which, like the rest of the Persona series, didn't ever come out on a Nintendo console. The Nintendo connection through SMT is feeble at best, and you could find some kind of connection like that for basically any non-Sony exlcusive videogame character under the sun.
Saying that Joker is connected to Nintendo is like saying that I personally know Robert Plant because a friend of a friend of mine hung up with him one time.

That's not inherently a bad thing, though. Some character not connected to Nintendo every once in a while is good and helps to keep things fresh, like Snake did in Brawl and Cloud in Smash 4. And Joker is fine, too.
It's just that I'm ok with ONE character like that, but absolutely not with a whole season of paid DLC.
There have been Persona games on Nintendo, Joker himself has been on Nintendo, Nintendo themselves say that Joker represents SMT.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
You said you're not an expert but you kicked *** with these. WELL DONE!
Thanks! I was more concerned with Cranky and K. Rool than I was Dixie and Funky since they were based on sprites already made. Well Cranky is based off Diddy too, but I was wondering if I needed to add his cane or something.

And I guess I need to start putting pics in spoilers? :laugh: I guess they're too big.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
There have been Persona games on Nintendo, Joker himself has been on Nintendo, Nintendo themselves say that Joker represents SMT.
Only spin-offs
That happened literally one week before his Smash announcement
He really doesn't, everywhere but in one press kit he's said to represent Persona. Since you know, he's from Persona

If this is your definition of "very Nintendo-related" I don't know what to say. Guess Dante or the main character from the last Tales of are heavily associated with Nintendo, too. The more you know...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Only spin-offs
That happened literally one week before his Smash announcement
He really doesn't, everywhere but in one press kit he's said to represent Persona. Since you know, he's from Persona

If this is your definition of "very Nintendo-related" I don't know what to say. Guess Dante or the main character from the last Tales of are heavily associated with Nintendo, too. The more you know...
This is off-topic, so I think we best leave it at that.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Oh my God, who cares? Persona is a cool series. Joker is a cool character. It doesn't matter if he's "not very Nintendo" or whatever. That the characters are cool and fun matters more than the faceless conglomerate that owns them, imo.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Did you ever stop and think that Laylee, the bat from Yooka-Laylee, would hate having Dixie Kong along for a road trip? You know, since bats use echos to navigate and since Dixie Kong would not be an echo, I feel like Laylee would find Dixie's presence absolutely worthless.

ze9

Smash Ace
Oh my God, who cares? Persona is a cool series. Joker is a cool character. It doesn't matter if he's "not very Nintendo" or whatever. That the characters are cool and fun matters more than the faceless conglomerate that owns them, imo.
Since I've only had Nintendo consoles, and since Smash is a Nintendo game, it's not that hard to see why I would prefer "Nintendo associated" characters over "non-Nintendo associated" characters, lol.
Joker is fine. Banjo made me jump out of my seat. Leon from RE4 would make me jump out of my seat, too. You know, since I've actually played their games. Joker is nice but of course I didn't have the same reaction since I barely knew the character. I prefer a Pass that makes me jump out of my seat rather than a Pass that makes go "ah, that's that guy, ok, that's nice I guess".
That's all there is to it.

I'm dropping this here, btw. My comment was just a passing comment, then all you guys somehow felt attacked and got triggered and turned this into a big debate that really didn't have any reason to be. I was not belittling Joker, I was just stating my opinion. And I fail to see how you could have extrapolated something like that from my opinion, but let's forget it. Back to Dixie.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Drop the Joker topic. If it isn't clear enough by BirthNote's message, it's off-topic here as said by a Moderator outright.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
So back to Dixie.

Hmm.

Does anyone actually want her with Kiddy? I really would not approve of her entry if she didnt carry a good amount of similarities to the other Kongs. I want to feel I'm playing DKC with all three.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i wouldnt mind if he showed up for a final smash or something but i want dixie to be her own character as much as possible

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
So back to Dixie.

Hmm.

Does anyone actually want her with Kiddy? I really would not approve of her entry if she didnt carry a good amount of similarities to the other Kongs. I want to feel I'm playing DKC with all three.
Nah, that would diminish Dixie being awesome by herself.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So back to Dixie.

Hmm.

At this point I honestly don’t care. I said the same with Diddy when he wasn’t yet in Brawl; I prefer solo but can’t be against the tag team idea. It’s unique and adds debt and a certain style to the character. For the sole representation of Dixie, sure solo is better. But there’s a lot they could do with the tag team. And I also don’t dislike Kiddy.

I honestly doubt it would happen. Retro hasn’t had the Rare styled tag teams implemented in their games, so it’s less of a direct element of DKC and more a throw back.

I think Dixie can easily be unique on her own however. And whatever Kiddy will bring will probably be reminiscent of what DK does even if he had different attacks and animations.

It’s more likely they’ll just give us Funky instead as a Echo to add on to Dixie’s entry. Then again, I think Funky on his own is probably more likely than Dixie unfortunately.....

However if Dixie is revealed I expect that they’ll reuse the K.Rool trailer again but we’d get trolled by Isabelle this time. Also, Banjo and Kazooie would join DK, Diddy and K.Rool by chilling in DK’s place.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Hard agree. I actually quite like Kiddy (more than Tiny, at least), but seeing him spontaneously appear and disappear would be weird. Maybe he can turn up in some of Dixie's victory animations, like Doc Louis appears with Little Mac?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
She can just store Kiddy Kong in her hair until Dixie Kong is feeling like playing a game of fat baby baseball with Lucas' face. He pops out when needed. Additionally, perhaps Dixie can launch Kiddy in the air and drop him on the stage like DKC3, shaking the entire screen like a POW block, hurting characters that are closest to Dixie and Kiddy the most.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
To see Kiddy get in before Funky, Cranky, or even Tiny would be utter blasphemy.
No thanks, if Diddy was able to be his own character rather than being saddled with another, then Dixie deserves that as well.

Kiddy couldn't even make it into DK Barrel Blast, and that literally had every Kong, and he doesn't even have his own spirit, they just needed an excuse to make Dixie's spirit enhanceable. Smash Ultimate is literally his first appearance since DKC3, not counting remakes/ports. He's the Scrappy Doo of DK.

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
It should be obvious that the next game will not have much of what Ultimate does. I feel like them calling this game Smash ULTIMATE doomed them, simply because there will be no way to top it once all is said and done. With each new addition to the roster (especially 3rd party), the chance of the next game being as good or better gets lower and lower.

I can see the next Smash game being a complete restart on the franchise as a whole. I am going to assume that Sakurai will keep supporting this game for years to come. Nintendo did it for Mario Kart 8 and that was just a fraction of what Smash Ultimate could bring to the table.

I say don't stop until we have 100 fighters. Nice and even. Just my opinion. There are plenty of possible newcomers, echoes, and even spirits left to be made playable assuming the popularity is there. Like our gal Dixie ofc.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
To see Kiddy get in before Funky, Cranky, or even Tiny would be utter blasphemy.
No thanks, if Diddy was able to be his own character rather than being saddled with another, then Dixie deserves that as well.

Kiddy couldn't even make it into DK Barrel Blast, and that literally had every Kong, and he doesn't even have his own spirit, they just needed an excuse to make Dixie's spirit enhanceable. Smash Ultimate is literally his first appearance since DKC3, not counting remakes/ports, he's the Scrappy Doo of DK.
No, it would be the opposite of blasphemy. It would make sense if Kiddy Kong is stored in Dixie's hair and is used for select attacks. They shouldn't make a complete tag team because that would interfere with Dixie's hair gimmick but Kiddy Kong should still be a tool for Dixie to hurt others.

Kiddy Kong is a weapon for Dixie to wield, and that's OK.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
No, it would be the opposite of blasphemy. It would make sense if Kiddy Kong is stored in Dixie's hair and is used for select attacks. They shouldn't make a complete tag team because that would interfere with Dixie's hair gimmick but Kiddy Kong should still be a tool for Dixie to hurt others.

Kiddy Kong is a weapon for Dixie to wield, and that's OK.
Like I said before, Kiddy is viewed by a large portion of the fanbase as the Scrappy Doo or the Big the Cat of DK. His mere presence would poison Dixie's character for a large amount of people who would have otherwise supported or played as Dixie in Smash in a hypothetical sense. I don't utterly despise him as much as some people (although I don't really like him either), but I think his divisive nature would likely do more harm than good to her standing in the overall Smash/Nintendo fanbase.

I think the Animal Friends would be far better as tools for Dixie to use.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Like I said before, Kiddy is viewed by a large portion of the fanbase as the Scrappy Doo or the Big the Cat of DK. His mere presence would poison Dixie's character for a large amount of people who would have otherwise supported or played as Dixie in Smash in a hypothetical sense.

I think the Animal Friends would be far better as tools for Dixie to use.
Eh, I don't think most people care about Kiddy Kong either way, but he does hold something important in Dixie's history more than the animal friends: he was her partner in her starring game. I do agree he shouldn't be a full-on partner but I don't see what's the harm if he's around for an attack or two.

Also, you will get a lot more Kiddy Kong love if he gets into Smash.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Kiddy Kong was never really a character, even in DKC3 he was seen, kind of, as a tool for Dixie. When Funky introduces him at the beginning of the game he's presented almost like an item.

So Kiddy showing up as part of her Final Smash, or as a special attack, makes sense. The tag team idea is eh by comparison, and I don't think Sakurai would go there these days.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
New question: can anyone see DK Jr getting in as an echo of DK (just super tiny)?

Kiddy couldn't even make it into DK Barrel Blast, and that literally had every Kong, and he doesn't even have his own spirit, they just needed an excuse to make Dixie's spirit enhanceable. Smash Ultimate is literally his first appearance since DKC3, not counting remakes/ports, he's the Scrappy Doo of DK.
Fun fact! When he was created, Scrappy Doo actually saved the Scooby Doo franchise. It was only with significant overuse and the hindsight of time that Scrappy got his soured reputation.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Kiddy Kong was never really a character, even in DKC3 he was seen, kind of, as a tool for Dixie. When Funky introduces him at the beginning of the game he's presented almost like an item.

So Kiddy showing up as part of her Final Smash, or as a special attack, makes sense. The tag team idea is eh by comparison, and I don't think Sakurai would go there these days.
It’s a way that Kiddy could be implemented yes. But am not really seeing it unless they give Kiddy a set amount of HP and he can be knocked off Dixie and thus block her Specials, which I do not think is a very fun gimmick neither useful, even if the Specials would be strong. I much rather have Dixie use her hair throwing abilities on her enemies as a separate character.

But am pretty sure Dixie will most likely copy all of Diddy’s Specials but do them in her own style, except for Up B. I mean, it’s quite probable that they make her a semi clone much like Falco, Wolf, Lucas, Roy and Toon Link. I think she’ll differ most from Diddy in statistics; she probably won’t have his quick mobility and slower air speed but trades of for slightly longer range on hair attacks, grab range, and a wayyyyy more safe recovery.

Compare them to Young Link and Toon Link for example. Diddy being more like Young Link, Dixie being more like Toon Link. But still way more differences.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I did like when Scrappy Doo was the villain of the live action movie for some reason.

You hear that K. Rool? Back to the dumpster with you. Donkey Kong Country: Kiddy Kong's Revenge coming 2021.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
So back to Dixie.

Hmm.

I am more than okay with Dixie with Kiddy since it would make her not an Echo (I don't want her to be an Echo!) and I am one of the few OG DKC trilogy fans who actually like Kiddy and I really did enjoy playing DKC3. In fact, if you looked at my moveset on the OP, you will see my idea is for Dixie and Kiddy to be a team. Sakurai originally planned for Diddy and Dixie to be a team in Brawl but that never came to fruition... so why not revisit that idea and have Dixie team up with Kiddy?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
so you know how dixie has prehensile hair? how do you suppose that works? are all of her individual hairs like little tentacles or something? can her bangs move? i have a lot of questions

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So back to Dixie.

Hmm.

I couldn't care less about Kiddy Kong, enough said. Not bashing anyone that wants him, but I'd much prefer any other Kong to get in before him.

To anyone who has access to Source Gaming's character support results, does anyone know how well the Dixie/Kiddy team fared on that? Kind of curious on the chances of Sakurai being reminded of the old team concept.

New question: can anyone see DK Jr getting in as an echo of DK (just super tiny)?
Not really. I'd sooner see Funky get in as an Echo of DK. Jr can't get in unless he gets a super-big following, as it stands.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I also don’t think DK Jr. would really work as a DK Echo. His size doesn’t suggest the strength that DK has, and strength is the main thing all DK’s moves rely on. Imagine DK Jr. doing a Giant Punch? I really can’t...

Kiddy on the other hand does have the strength to make it work, then again, Funky is more popular, relevant and way more likely.

I also don’t dislike Kiddy at all. I liked playing him in DKC3, however he lacks the charm the other 3 main Kong heroes have. He missed all his chances to ever come back, and that’s a shame. Donkey Kong Racing would’ve had him, but we all know what happened... Missing DK64 is also hurting him, same with Dixie because that game became a big inspiration for movesets for Diddy and K.Rool.

Speaking of DK64, Camelot has said they where interested in making a Donkey Kong game just like DK64. You guys think they will ever get a chance to make a game like that? I’d trust them with it, knowing their quality of the Golden Sun games.. but am not sure if Nintendo would.

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
I liked Kiddy well enough in DKC3, but much like how I'd prefer, say, Midna as a fighter without being mounted on Wolf Link 24/7, I'd prefer Dixie as a fighter based on her own hairets merits.

As for DK Jr., what if they just randomly made him an Olimar echo, but with his game's snapjaw & bird enemies in place of Pikmin? Just something funny that occured to me...

D

Deleted member

I don't mind Kiddy, in fact i prefer him that he teamed up with Dixie instead of Donkey. Had DK came back, he would have stolen all the spotlight from Dixie.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
So, I've checked the character poll results from Source Gaming (outdated since Joker wasn't on it, among a few other factors):

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1riZ4HDxzIjb8OmJyV2T9KgG6M1X-r6siXljFH1nQwdw/edit#gid=0

There is some support for the Dixie and Kiddy team, but much considerably less on average than many other fan choices, let alone Dixie.
Some support in that it’s pretty much near the bottom of the list.

I don’t think hovering around 350 out of 430, alongside some characters most of the fanbase has never even heard of, is a very good indicator for great fan support.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
It also shows he isn't some purely hated character like is implied earlier(though those who already said they have zero issue with him being in the game is evidence enough). Kiddy never bothered me. Though for a tag team partner, my preference is Cranky Kong as is. But I just simply have more experience with the character, so I'd rather he was in.

I also don't have an issue with Dixie being an echo or semi-clone. Giving her DK's Up B as a variant but otherwise slightly different from Diddy(with maybe a slightly changed weapon animation) just makes me shrug. I'd just be happy she's finally playable. Even if the character doesn't play as much as I would enjoy them(Ridley certainly doesn't mesh well with me), their inclusion alone is amazing enough for me.

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
Tiny is the actual worst Kong, unless you count Candy. She's literally just Dixie but lamer. Kiddy at least has a style and personality all his own.

I think DK, Diddy, Dixie, and K. Rool are all the representation this series really needs. If we ever get more, I'd honestly rather have Kiddy than any other Kong except Lanky and maybe DK Jr.

Funky is likable enough, but he's one of those characters that people only "want" for the memes. Adding him would be like adding Beedle from Zelda. Cranky is fantastic, but I'd rather see him as an assist trophy than a playable fighter. He'd be the perfect replacement for Mr. Resetti (still the best assist trophy of all time, btw).

Kiddy couldn't even make it into DK Barrel Blast, and that literally had every Kong,
It didn't have Chunky.

Smash Ultimate is literally his first appearance since DKC3, not counting remakes/ports,

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Tiny is the actual worst Kong, unless you count Candy. She's literally just Dixie but lamer. Kiddy at least has a style and personality all his own.
An annoying style and personality to his own that is divisive at best and despised as much as Jar Jar at worst. Being original =/= being better.

What exactly about Tiny is such a rip off of Dixie? Being the token girl? Believe it or not we can have more than one playable female character in this series you know (as Diddy Kong Racing DS and Mario Super Sluggers generously showed us). Not every animal based franchise has to follow the Smurfette principle.
Tiny is about a rip off of Dixie as Chunky and Lanky are rip offs of Kiddy (as in not at all).

I think DK, Diddy, Dixie, and K. Rool are all the representation this series really needs.
Well, that's the one thing you and I strongly agree on. I won't need a 5th DK rep after Dixie for several Smash games tbh.

If we ever get more, I'd honestly rather have Kiddy than any other Kong except Lanky and maybe DK Jr.

Funky is likable enough, but he's one of those characters that people only "want" for the memes. Adding him would be like adding Beedle from Zelda. Cranky is fantastic, but I'd rather see him as an assist trophy than a playable fighter. He'd be the perfect replacement for Mr. Resetti (still the best assist trophy of all time, btw).
Nope, hard disagree on that one. Funky, Cranky, Tiny, Lanky, literally every other Kong should have priority over Kiddy. I agree with the Cranky being better as an Assist and the Funky meme part (and I'm frustrated that some people want him over Dixie solely because of this), but both of them are still infinitely more qualified than Kiddy, with Funky being in Mario Kart Wii and Sluggers (which Tiny was in as well).

All of these other Kongs have made plenty of appearances in various spin offs and sequels/reboots since their debut. Kiddy is the only that has never shown up again outside of remakes/ports until Smash Ultimate, where again, he wasn't even his own spirit.
It didn't have Chunky.

To be fair, I don't really care that much about him either.

The only reason I would put him just barely over Kiddy is that I don't really see as much hatred for him from the fanbase compared to Kiddy. (Though I don't really see love either, aside from the "Chunky is Dead" meme from brentalfloss, which I have difficulty figuring out if it is positive or negative).

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Cranky would work as an assist trophy or a new codec on the Jungle Japes stage if it returns in the future. That being said I'd still like to see him playable in the future (after Dixie of course) if Im still playing games by the time Smash 6 or 7 rolls around..

Cranky is the original arcade DK afterall. He's probably the most important Nintendo character not represented in Smash in anyway. If it wasnt for the arcade DK, Nintendo probably wouldn't exist as we know it today. Even Pauline is represented in Smash through the New Donk City stage. All Cranky has is his silouette in a window..

EDIT: I forgot 75m exists in this game. So younger Cranky is represented as a stage hazard but I want old Cranky. Lol

Funky on the other hand as much as I love the guy is a meme character. People only request him for the lulz. Hell I'd dare say Funky would be an even "memer" pick than Waluigi if he ever got in..

Last edited:
Top Bottom