• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
No. Expresso is too big and has those long legs for days.
That cooked bird must be Quawks (So that's why it never returned!!)

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
And that losbter was an unseen animal buddy. Poor Lobsty the Lobster never had a chance.

And why are DK and Diddy drinking Bowser brand wine?

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
No. Expresso is too big and has those long legs for days.
That cooked bird must be Quawks (So that's why it never returned!!)
Quawks appeared as an item in Barrel Blast. Quawks only not appeared in the Retro games. But then again half of the DKC Rare cast is missing from the Retro games.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Sorry for the double post but I wanted to post this video:

This is something I've been wondering for YEARS. What is going on with Retro Studios? Most Nintendo youtubers are so far up Nintendo's ass that they are too afraid to make videos like this. Im glad we have Arlo to deliver content like this. It brings awareness to the topic and this impacts DK as a series.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

This is something I've been wondering for YEARS. What is going on with Retro Studios? Most Nintendo youtubers are so far up Nintendo's ass that they are too afraid to make videos like this. Im glad we have Arlo to deliver content like this. It brings awareness to the topic and this impacts DK as a series.
Retro being absent for all this years already cemented in my head that we weren't getting a new DK game from them again. It's a shame because Retro Studios' games are well crafted and had their own distinct style compared to Rare.
Speaking of Rare, this reminds me of the doomed time before they were bought by Microsoft, they lost most of their good staff. And that good staff went to make mediocre games that no one remembers and then they dissapear forever.

Tropical Freeze is a platforming masterpiece, it still calls me back to play it over and over again. If it had a special reward for getting every puzzle piece or it didn't have incredible repetitive and bland bonus rooms, I would easily put it above DKC2. Let's hope they can at least port Returns to Switch so we can have a definitive edition without obligatory motion controls, 60 fps, the extra world from 3DS and co-op without multiple consoles.

Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair convinced me that Playtonic could make great DK games if they were given the budget and time. Let's hope Nintendo puts an eye on them for the future... or we can spend another decade like the 2000s getting absolutely nothing. Because Metroid is getting games now and DK is cursed when that happens (And vice-versa).

P.S: About the Quawks joke. WHY SO SERIOUS?

Last edited:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice

This explains a lot. I have tons of respect for Retro because of the quality of their games and their contributions in making the DK series more noticeable for the new generation. That said, their current situation is concerning.

What is also concerning is Nintendo doing NOTHING in acknowledging the 25th anniversary of DKC. I understand people are hopeful about the rumors saying there are people at Nintendo that want to make the DK franchise a core brand again, but Nintendo’s actions so far say otherwise. We didn’t even get the classic DKC games released on SNES online yet. All we got for the 25th anniversary are GameXplain’s interviews of the DKC creators and a documentary made by the YouTuber named Shesez; kudos to both GameXplain and Shesez for their contributions.

Also, what I appreciate about guys like Arlo is they’re not shy in their criticism, like when Arlo criticized Nintendo’s lackluster online service.

Right now, we can hope that Nintendo gives the project for a future DKC game to Playtonic to handle.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I feel like Quawks is dumb. Purple Squawks? Maybe if he/she looked more different I'd be OK with it. The Squirrel from Jungle Beat makes more sense for Quawk's role, at least in DKC2. Although I don't really like how that squirrel looks like either, looks like a pig, and there are no good DK pigs.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Quawks is ok but the bigger loss is Screech:

"Faker? I think you're the fake parrot around here!"

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Tawks from Tropical Freeze is my favorite, don't @ me
Ok Zoomer.
Quawks is ok but the bigger loss is Screech:

"Faker? I think you're the fake parrot around here!"
Yeah, Screech had potential to be a good recurring lackey character for K. Rool. Maybe similar to the blue parrot in the DKC TV show.

I picture Screech's voice to be British Gilbert Gottfried. I imagine all parrots speak like Gilbert Gottfried.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker

This is such an interesting video to take in. We all know that Retro is a studio that will deliver high quality games that we all expect. They brought us the Metroid Prime trilogy in the early 2000's and both Returns and Tropical Freeze this decade. Retro has been pretty sporadic as far as releases go. Tropical Freeze was released over 5 1/2 years ago and you would think that Retro would start developing a new DK game after a year or two. There just seems to be an unclear direction in the the studio is going. Of course all the focus is on Metroid Prime 4 and I hope they can deliver big time again. Any Nintendo franchise that Retro has been absolute gold. I would love to see Retro's take on the Star Fox series whether the Star Fox Grand Prix ever comes true or not. They do know how to flesh out and expand a series. I would love to see Retro cap off their trilogy with a DKC Returns 3 with the return of K. Rool.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Its kind of a shame that the DK franchise felt so lost in the wilderness in the early oughts after Rare's acquisition by Microsoft and before Retro stepped in for Returns. Not that Konga or Jungle Beat were without their charms, but the lack of development on what the Country trilogy built and the de-emphasis on the cast outside Donkey Kong did feel like a waste. There's no way of knowing for sure, but if the franchise had stronger momentum during the time, we might have gotten K Rool in Smash earlier and maybe even would have Dixie now.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I just want a spirit character confirmed to reignite discussion. It is so boring hearing people discuss only third parties, and a select few at that all the time.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just want a spirit character confirmed to reignite discussion. It is so boring hearing people discuss only third parties, and a select few at that all the time.
I think a Spirit/Nintendo character or two will be in the DLC lineup because of GameXplain's recent video:

They have deep connections within Nintendo so I think this is a sign. In fact, I think FP5 is a Nintendo character because of this video. They could have have spoke about this topic a year ago, but they didn't. It's weird that GameXplain came out with this video at a time like this less than 2 weeks before the VGA and when Sabi and Verge are deconfirming a bunch of big 3rd parties left from right. It's clear they know who FP5 is and they're being sneaky with this video kind of saying: "Maybe it's a Nintendo character...

."

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think a Spirit/Nintendo character or two will be in the DLC lineup because of GameXplain's recent video:

They have deep connections within Nintendo so I think this is a sign. In fact, I think FP5 is a Nintendo character because of this video. They could have have spoke about this topic a year ago, but they didn't. It's weird that GameXplain came out with this video at a time like this less than 2 weeks before the VGA and when Sabi and Verge are deconfirming a bunch of big 3rd parties left from right. It's clear they know who FP5 is and they're being sneaky with this video kind of saying: "Maybe it's a Nintendo character...

."
Dixie better be one of those Spirit Promotions!

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

."
I disagree with this. It would seem like GameXplain knows everything or is a leaker because they guessed something right from time to time. But the truth is. They are just fans like us and the time Jon predicted the Final Fantasy ports and Kirby's Epic Yarn port, and they didn't believe the Grinch leak, it was all pure dumb luck.
That video came out because Jon is a huge Resident Evil fan and he got salty after multiple people on Twitter started to argue with him about deconfirmations and such.

I'm expecting the next character to be a Capcom one (Specifically certain lawyer). But after that they might start to bring 1st parties on board again. I hope so. Because we need a rest from 3rd parties after 4 (Probably 5) in a row.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I disagree with this. It would seem like GameXplain knows everything or is a leaker because they guessed something right from time to time. But the truth is. They are just fans like us and the time Jon predicted the Final Fantasy ports and Kirby's Epic Yarn port, and they didn't believe the Grinch leak, it was all pure dumb luck.
That video came out because Jon is a huge Resident Evil fan and he got salty after multiple people on Twitter started to argue with him about deconfirmations and such.

I'm expecting the next character to be a Capcom one (Specifically certain lawyer). But after that they might start to bring 1st parties on board again. I hope so. Because we need a rest from 3rd parties after 4 (Probably 5) in a row.
They mix the truth and false predictions in their videos. They just play the fool so the Nintenjas don't get on their ****.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
They mix the truth and false predictions in their videos. They just play the fool so the Nintenjas don't get on their ****.
That's a quite a conspirancy theory you have there. But even if they were related to Nintendo (Actually they aren't). They wouldn't be given classified information like that.
You say you are believing that video. But wouldn't that contradict what you are saying about getting Ninteninja'd?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That's a quite a conspirancy theory you have there. But even if they were related to Nintendo (Actually they aren't). They wouldn't be given classified information like that.
You say you are believing that video. But wouldn't that contradict what you are saying about getting Ninteninja'd?
The point of the video is that there will definitely be a Nintendo rep in the DLC lineup. As long as they don't say "It's so and so." They won't get in trouble.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I mean in the video he admitted that post Game DLC spirits including his personal favorites like Tetris and Resident Evil were probably far more unlikely to be upgraded because of when they were added so I don’t think too much of it was salt.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
The point of the video is that there will definitely be a Nintendo rep in the DLC lineup. As long as they don't say "It's so and so." They won't get in trouble.
He didn't say there WILL be a Nintendo character. He said "there are no rules". That's an extemely safe bet. The character could be from Nintendo, it could be an spirit or assist trophy or it could still be a 3rd party from a new franchise. Whatever happens he won't be wrong because he didn't commit to anything in particular.

I mean in the video he admitted that post Game DLC spirits including his personal favorites like Tetris and Resident Evil were probably far more unlikely to be upgraded because of when they were added so I don’t think too much of it was salt.
He got over it after a while. But oh boy. Those first hours after the Resident Evil spirit board announcement were really bitter.
All those people arguing with him in twitter about it still inspired him to make the video tho.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
He didn't say there WILL be a Nintendo character. He said "there are no rules". That's an extemely safe bet. The character could be from Nintendo, it could be an spirit or assist trophy or it could still be a 3rd party from a new franchise. Whatever happens he won't be wrong because he didn't commit to anything in particular.
I didn't say he said that, I just said that was likely the reason they uploaded the video because we are probably getting a Nintendo rep.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I didn't say he said that, I just said that was likely the reason they uploaded the video because we are probably getting a Nintendo rep.
I think that too. But only after the fighter pass ends. Let's wait until the VGAs and see.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

He got over it after a while. But oh boy. Those first hours after the Resident Evil spirit board announcement were really bitter.
All those people arguing with him in twitter about it still inspired him to make the video tho.
Was he though? I mean yeah he was little peeved, I mean anyone would be at their favorites being deconfirmed but I seem to remember him being happy they were being represented at all fairly quickly.
Regardless I think we can all certainly emphasize with him it comes to Spirit Upgrades, in fact I’d say we have more of an incentive to hope for them considering Dixie is a base game spirit.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Was he though? I mean yeah he was little peeved, I mean anyone would be at their favorites being deconfirmed but I seem to remember him being happy they were being represented at all fairly quickly.
Regardless I think we can all certainly emphasize with him it comes to Spirit Upgrades, in fact I’d say we have more of an incentive to hope for them considering Dixie is a base game spirit.

Sadly. Getting spirit'd post launch is probably a sure death. He got the worse end of the stick. Imagine if Dixie's spirit was missing but was then added in a update...
Dixie still has hope tho!!
She even has the Rare or Paon render to use as substitute PNG.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I'm not really feeling it on 5th DLC Fighter being from Nintendo-side despite these buzzwords implying free game for everyone. Even then, I wonder what could top Terry or Plant in eyes of Sakurai if going by his current statements on what he sees as "fun" playing recurring key role on included fighters. With that, I can't tell if Dixie even fits, unless he just happens to really like her or find something that just catches his interest big-time. For now, we have to yet see if that'll stand in following Fighter Passes.

I'm personally looking us getting something quite left-field for a new wild card again - though it's bit surprising to see some even discussing if the idea of a "fun" fighter is perhaps becoming more and more subjective between Sakurai and the rest of the fanbase.
Even then, I feel any character added to Smash Bros will be received be-lovingly as part of the series and fandom over time anyway, if one has been following the series since beginning. :drshrug:

A bit of a rant in-coming, but I've been feeling this quite a while.

Probably it's just me, but never expected to see RE-spirits showing just like that in Smash - and like I felt with Tron Bonne, watching characters I loved to play on other fighting games being stuffed as souls inside Smashers feels bit... uncomfortable? I really liked Jill in MVC2 and Chris wasn't bad package in MVC3 either. And well, I absolutely loved Tron in MVC2 and 3 - she's probably one of the reasons I ended up loving Junior and Koopa Kids so much.

Especially with the implications about how we'll never see these characters shining in a non-Smash crossover (fighting) game of their own for decade or more, depending on if Spirits really keep being hard deconfirms and Smash Bros gets on pushed on by Nintendo and other 3rd Parties to be the currently profilic go-to crossover game for all these videogame franchise clashes out there in eyes of mainstream gamers with this still going and insanely gargantuan 3rd Party-hype.

On that end, probably a slip-slopey hunch, but I also feel Smash Bros Ultimate's currently setting insanely high bars for crossover games with this much hype and status around it with so many featured iconic series (and some) - Sakurai might be only one allowed to have AAA-level craft sans maybe Super Robot Taisen these days.

I've mainly been less caring of this much various series Smash is currently throwing in with this much freedom, since all of them being non-playable form of side material makes them ironically expendable in spite of praised (or embittered) reception, due forgotten for the next series in the same vein. Last it was Mai Shiranui (yeesh, what a mess) - and now it's the beloved members of S.T.A.R.S, and some. :100:

Makes me wonder how it'll go down if the next game had to boot this much of quest characters outside of Nintendo, much to their chagrin. It'd sour tens of millions, and the rebooting would also mean the marketing power from Smash for the 3rd Parties' featured series would be lost - not mention how they'l fall into probable limbo due the treatment from their own companies. (#PeckKonami, anyone?)

At least SEGA's trying to push harder with their cult-classic catalogue of shelved IPs these times. Still, makes me wish Marvel VS Capcom was still on stable grounds as to let Capcom's own series shine regularly - or Capcom could be able to do something in vein of it on their own like they did in the old days.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Even then, I wonder what could top Terry or Plant in eyes of Sakurai if going by his current statements. I can't even tell if Dixie even fits, unless he just happens to really like her or find something that just catches his interest big-time. For now, we have to yet see if that'll stand in following Fighter Passes.
I just wonder why Dixie happened to be literally the only cut character of the forbidden seven Sakurai outright admitted to originally planning to put in Brawl, like he was literally planning on adding her alongside Diddy Kong back when the roster only had DK as the sole DK rep and was less than 35 characters large, and why he put her trophy in Melee over Diddy's, it really seemed like he liked her a lot back then, and yet now he pretty much thinks a Mii Costume is "good enough" for her. It's just such a jarring change of attitude from then to now, especially since Dixie literally just got brought back for Tropical Freeze, which Nintendo is still happily selling for $60 on the Switch Eshop.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I just wonder why Dixie happened to be literally the only cut character of the forbidden seven Sakurai outright admitted to originally planning to put in Brawl, like he was literally planning on adding her alongside Diddy Kong back when the roster only had DK as the sole DK rep and was less than 35 characters large, and why he put her trophy in Melee over Diddy's, it really seemed like he liked her a lot back then, and yet now he pretty much thinks a Mii Costume is "good enough" for her. It's just such a jarring change of attitude from then to now, especially since Dixie literally just got brought back for Tropical Freeze, which Nintendo is still happily selling for $60 on the Switch Eshop.
Who knows? Maybe she was built solely around being Diddy's partner in means of central playstyle and feel, and after that not working out, Sakurai didn't perhaps find much more incentive to add her otherwise after Diddy seemed to stand very well on his own - I mean, she didn't exactly "return" as part of scrapped data in Smash 4, nor got to be even part of DLC in that game, in spite of having become relevant after years of absence through Tropical Freeze.

Might even be compounded by how Sakurai finally got to have bigger table and time on experimenting with more broad and creative playstyles in form of Smash 4's newcomers - since most of them more on gameplay direction of more unique and personified on each. Maybe that might have played him not bothering on her own after getting "separated" from Diddy, incase it just presented her as not interesting on her own. Of course, that's before all the other possible factors we don't know about + priority/favoring on the other current newcomers, that could be why she's not been enough to warrant playable spot on Sakurai's eyes so far.

Quite unfortunate too since we all here have been demonstrating on and on how Dixie's trademark ability can be built up to make a quirky and charming moveset. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Boy oh boy how I wish Dixie Kong was in this group.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i hate looking at pictures that dont have dixie kong in them, in general

Top Bottom