• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Nintendo should have released the classic DKC trilogy on SNES online by now, it would be a great 25th year anniversary gift for the series.

It would also boost Dixie’s popularity among the new generation of gamers that have a habit of buying virtual copies of games online, including classics.

No matter what happens to this series at this point, I’m glad to be part of this fanbase. Kudos to everyone here for keeping Dixie Kong’s popularity going. She is a character that has overcome a lot of adversity; from being left out of DK 64, to appearing as a playable character in only very few spin-off games (fewer than DK and Diddy) such as DK: King of Swing and the Mario baseball games, to finally getting a big return to a mainline DK game (Tropical Freeze) and into the spotlight.

Dixie has a bright future ahead of her. You can’t really say that about those other Kongs; Tiny, Lanky, Chunky, Kiddy, Candy, Wrinkly, and Swanky.
When future DK games hopefully arrive, we’d be fortunate to get even a reference to the other Kongs years from now.

We can’t just sit around and hope Nintendo will fulfill our needs for satisfaction, that’s not going to happen. I completely agree with what numerous fans have already said here, we need to take more action and be more vocal about the DK series’ current situation. It was amazing to see K. Rool finally coming to Smash. It was also great to see Tropical Freeze ported to the Switch. But don’t just stop there; push for Dixie in Smash and push for more DK games.

We need to build a bigger platform for our fanbase and give developers our perspectives, one of the biggest problems with the gaming industry today is the gaming “journalists” have a bigger platform than we do. Remember when someone from Gamespot gave Tropical Freeze a 6 out of 10 when it released for the Wii U, I do; and that reviewer said in his subjective review that it wasn’t anything special and it didn’t have compelling gameplay or great level designs. Also, I recall back when DKC Returns released, someone from IGN made an article that said most of the DK characters created from Rareware don’t need to return because they are uninteresting and unneeded (he hoped he wouldn’t see characters like Dixie, Cranky, Funky, and the Kremlings return). As you can see, a noticeable portion of the gaming media doesn’t understand or even give a damn about the Donkey Kong series that is so beloved here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=06NE33-hACE

https://www.ign.com/articles/2010/07/28/donkey-kong-country-returns-everything-we-know

It sounds silly for me to complain about what gaming “journalists” think as if they are influencing game developers’ views on fans and their needs. At the same time though, if we had a bigger platform to speak out from, it would gather more attention, and it would let developers know DK fans are actually not satisfied (right now a portion of people at Nintendo think we are or are not sure if we’re even that big of a fanbase). Right now, what we can do with whatever influence we have is get more active on social media and get Dixie for Smash trending more on twitter as well as our needs for more DK games. We got #WorldDonkeyKongDay trending before, so let’s keep at it.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Nintendo should have released the classic DKC trilogy on SNES online by now, it would be a great 25th year anniversary gift for the series.

It would also boost Dixie’s popularity among the new generation of gamers that have a habit of buying virtual copies of games online, including classics.

No matter what happens to this series at this point, I’m glad to be part of this fanbase. Kudos to everyone here for keeping Dixie Kong’s popularity going. She is a character that has overcome a lot of adversity; from being left out of DK 64, to appearing as a playable character in only very few spin-off games (fewer than DK and Diddy) such as DK: King of Swing and the Mario baseball games, to finally getting a big return to a mainline DK game (Tropical Freeze) and into the spotlight.

Dixie has a bright future ahead of her. You can’t really say that about those other Kongs; Tiny, Lanky, Chunky, Kiddy, Candy, Wrinkly, and Swanky.
When future DK games hopefully arrive, we’d be fortunate to get even a reference to the other Kongs years from now.

We can’t just sit around and hope Nintendo will fulfill our needs for satisfaction, that’s not going to happen. I completely agree with what numerous fans have already said here, we need to take more action and be more vocal about the DK series’ current situation. It was amazing to see K. Rool finally coming to Smash. It was also great to see Tropical Freeze ported to the Switch. But don’t just stop there; push for Dixie in Smash and push for more DK games.

We need to build a bigger platform for our fanbase and give developers our perspectives, one of the biggest problems with the gaming industry today is the gaming “journalists” have a bigger platform than we do. Remember when someone from Gamespot gave Tropical Freeze a 6 out of 10 when it released for the Wii U, I do; and that reviewer said in his subjective review that it wasn’t anything special and it didn’t have compelling gameplay or great level designs. Also, I recall back when DKC Returns released, someone from IGN made an article that said most of the DK characters created from Rareware don’t need to return because they are uninteresting and unneeded (he hoped he wouldn’t see characters like Dixie, Cranky, Funky, and the Kremlings return). As you can see, a noticeable portion of the gaming media doesn’t understand or even give a damn about the Donkey Kong series that is so beloved here.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2010/07/28/donkey-kong-country-returns-everything-we-know

It sounds silly for me to complain about what gaming “journalists” think as if they are influencing game developers’ views on fans and their needs. At the same time though, if we had a bigger platform to speak out from, it would gather more attention, and it would let developers know DK fans are actually not satisfied (right now a portion of people at Nintendo think we are or are not sure if we’re even that big of a fanbase). Right now, what we can do with whatever influence we have is get more active on social media and get Dixie trending more on twitter as well as are needs for more DK games. We got #WorldDonkeyKongDay trending before, so let’s keep at it.
At the same time, that 6/10 was very controversial and ended up being overturned with the Switch port. I consider that a success for our fanbase.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

It sounds silly for me to complain about what gaming “journalists” think as if they are influencing game developers’ views on fans and their needs. At the same time though, if we had a bigger platform to speak out from, it would gather more attention, and it would let developers know DK fans are actually not satisfied (right now a portion of people at Nintendo think we are or are not sure if we’re even that big of a fanbase). Right now, what we can do with whatever influence we have is get more active on social media and get Dixie for Smash trending more on twitter as well as our needs for more DK games. We got #WorldDonkeyKongDay trending before, so let’s keep at it.
That was so ridiculous how that IGN journalist was bash talking about the Kongs and the Kremlings, screw him. The Rareware DKC cast is just as memorable and unique as the Mario or Sonic cast.

Last edited:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I’m quite flabbergasted that some gaming “journalists” have such a sentiment that they find female simians with blonde hair, a simian with a surfboard, and anthropomorphic crocodiles all disturbing and irritating.

Then again, I shouldn’t be surprised with the shallow level of professionalism and integrity out there.

The only thing disturbing and irritating here is their knee-jerk narratives that garner abrupt attention. They have mindsets fixated on the notion that controversy sells.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I’m quite flabbergasted that some gaming “journalists” have such a sentiment that they find female simians with blonde hair, a simian with a surfboard, and anthropomorphic crocodiles all disturbing and irritating.
No joke, I think the fact that the main characters are monkeys and apes is a big part of why people don't care about DK characters. I've known several people who dislike monkey characters for being in that uncanny valley between animal and human. Since characters are one of the biggest draws to a franchise, its really unfortunate for the DK series as a whole.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
That was so ridiculous how that IGN journalist was bash talking about the Kongs and the Kremlings, screw him. The Rareware DKC cast is just as memorable and unique as the Mario or Sonic cast.
That reminds me... I remember a wave of journalists calling the DK games overrated back in the early to mid 2000s. It started to feel unanimous; it was mostly directed to DKC1 and DK64 whereas the sequels got swept under the rug, and they were using a comment from Miyamoto to justify it.

From my understanding Miyamoto was salty about his superiors urging him to make Yoshi's Island more like DKC; he threw some shade at first but eventually apologized and cleared things up, but that statement morphed into "Miyamoto hates DKC" and it didn't help that DK was getting shafted and snubbed by Nintendo constantly until Returns got announced. Then he said during an IGN interview that he's learned people think he hates DK, then further clarified that he played an active advisory role with the Rare DKC games.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Someone on twitter made a great concept for what a spirit upgrade would look like.

The template made for Fighter Spirits in general came from here.

Couldn't believe that there was no Dixie in the replies made yet, so naturally, I couldn't resist.
dixiespirit.png

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I decided to envision an Inkling girl via Dixie showdown.
It's a playful, very 90s esque rivalry of girl power, shootoffs, color, hair, and fun.

I encourage you to play around with these scenarios in your head. I'm getting all kinds of great stories- hearing western music, envisioning nickelodeon's kid competition shows,...

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Someone on twitter made a great concept for what a spirit upgrade would look like.

The template made for Fighter Spirits in general came from here.

Couldn't believe that there was no Dixie in the replies made yet, so naturally, I couldn't resist.
I have always found dumb how being a spirit is an instant deconfirmation. They can just make the original Smash artwork the spirit like they did with Robin (Who doesn't have a full body artwork) or Cloud (Because Square Enix).
That Geno artwork is lit tho. I would have personally chosen the Rare render of Dixie, (Because nostalgia bias).

I wonder what kind of pose Smash Dixie would have. I hope is a good one, because I'm not a fan of Smash 4's DK and Diddy poses for their amiibos. I wish I would have gotten the Super Mario ones... King K. Rool's pose is delicious tho...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I have always found dumb how being a spirit is an instant deconfirmation. They can just make the original Smash artwork the spirit like they did with Robin (Who doesn't have a full body artwork) or Cloud (Because Square Enix).
I think it's dumb too. I know Mewtwo and Lucas were veterans before Smash 4, but they were trophies in that game and they got promoted back through DLC. The same thing could happen with a character that's a Spirit in Ultimate.

That Geno artwork is lit tho. I would have personally chosen the Rare render of Dixie, (Because nostalgia bias).

I wonder what kind of pose Smash Dixie would have. I hope is a good one, because I'm not a fan of Smash 4's DK and Diddy poses for their amiibos. I wish I would have gotten the Super Mario ones... King K. Rool's pose is delicious tho...
I would love for Dixie's pose/render to be her playing her guitar and swinging her hair. :2gud:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Juliusaurus Juliusaurus thank you! I'm gonna put your post as a shout out in the OP soon; with all the fanmade DKC content going on I'm gonna give the YouTube videos the ad space first since it's easier to lose track of those (scheduled uploads and stuff) then move the spotlight to your excellent artwork. Seriously thanks again!

EDIT: in case anyone's wondering, I removed "Last Nintendo All-Star" to make room for the YouTube shout-out. The honorary title will be back soon; pretend it went on vacation for thanksgiving lol.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I know this is off-topic but since its also Rare related I needed to know opinions on this and since this is the only place where fellow Rare fans are that I associate with. I saw this posted on Rare's Twitter. Would you guys eat a slice of this cake?

EKTx43kU8AElLI5.jpeg

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I know this is off-topic but since its also Rare related I needed to know opinions on this and since this is the only place where fellow Rare fans are that I associate with. I saw this posted on Rare's Twitter. Would you guys eat a slice of this cake?

View attachment 248263
Holy ****, I would never eat that but it's a dope sculpture. I'm afraid of what it'll do after I digest it LMAO

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

View attachment 248263
God damn it. Knowing the context ruins everything...
At least people who don't know could eat it. And then I explain them what the character means LMAO

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord

View attachment 248263
(Clears Throat)

"I ...am... the great ChunkySlugger"

"And I have no bounds when it comes to my hunger"

"A crappy chocolate cake that I would love to have and devour"

"I"ll be on the toilet for about an hour"

Seriously though I would wreck that cake.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Hope shall never die.....

Untitled.png

I know I'll never be 100% satisfied without my simian gal, no matter how many other characters get in.

And in response to today's Resident Evil news....

Untitled2.png

(The gif in the second comment)

But for real tho, base game spirits don't mean jack compared to DLC spirits.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I've been looking through all the Ultimate promotional material with the base roster and I've been noticing just how incomplete every single one of them looks without Dixie Kong.

Y'all ever wonder what Dixie Kong would have done if she had been in this commercial?

I think the commercial would have been even cooler if Dixie Kong was in it.

I wonder how she would have tried to escape from Galeem in this cutscene, since she doesn't have her own jetpack unlike Diddy.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I've been looking through all the Ultimate promotional material with the base roster and I've been noticing just how incomplete every single one of them looks without Dixie Kong.

Y'all ever wonder what Dixie Kong would have done if she had been in this commercial?

I think the commercial would have been even cooler if Dixie Kong was in it.

I wonder how she would have tried to escape from Galeem in this cutscene, since she doesn't have her own jetpack unlike Diddy.

She would fly away like a helicopter with her hair.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I honestly thought Dixie was gonna be in the rivery-jungle area across the bridge, until I found out that's where The Boss was.

This is somewhat unrelated but I was just thinking that Dixie & Funky would be a cool buddy duo in a similar vein to DK & Diddy. You don't really see them interacting a lot, but I think their character dynamic could be really nice. They would make a good Double Dash team at least.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I honestly thought Dixie was gonna be in the rivery-jungle area across the bridge, until I found out that's where The Boss was.

This is somewhat unrelated but I was just thinking that Dixie & Funky would be a cool buddy duo in a similar vein to DK & Diddy. You don't really see them interacting a lot, but I think their character dynamic could be really nice. They would make a good Double Dash team at least.
Dixie got doubled screwed in the Wii Era when she was both cut from Brawl and then Funky Kong got into Mario Kart Wii without her.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I dunno, maybe they found Funky a better fitting character? I loved seeing him in Mario Kart Wii. Same with Diddy. I haven't played Mario Kart since cause I got upset Diddy was excluded.

I'm pretty petty like that honestly.

Also never bought a Wii U cause Smash 4's roster didn't do much to me. I purchased a 3DS later however tho, and played the game tons at a friend's house on Wii U.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Funky in Mario Kart makes sense though given his skills as a mechanic. He's a great example of an unusual pull that works.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I dunno, maybe they found Funky a better fitting character? I loved seeing him in Mario Kart Wii. Same with Diddy. I haven't played Mario Kart since cause I got upset Diddy was excluded.
I remember reading somewhere online that Funky was added as a last minute addition. The character roster was oddly numbered and Nintendo wanted to make it an even 24. But deadlines were hitting soon so they went to Paon to borrow a model. Funky was the easiest (as DK and Funky share the same skeleton).

I dont know how true this is but I wouldnt put it past Nintendo to do this given how lame Mario Kart 8's roster is with palette swap characters and the fact Funky has never returned to MK since.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
ZeroJanitor ZeroJanitor made a great point about the DK characters being stuck in that uncanny valley between animal and human (post #8888).

Not only that, but some out there may even give credence to the stereotype that monkeys, gorillas, and other simians are primitive and dim witted; it certainly contrasts with my beliefs because when I play any DKC game, I find monkeys, gorillas, and any simians for that matter to be fun, intellectual, and high-spirited (full of spirit).

Some people out there like those in the media are more comfortable with DK and Diddy continuing to endlessly appear in Mario spin-off games instead of letting their own series thrive again. They hardly give any recognition to the extended cast of DK characters created by Rareware, if at all. (Since they left out Diddy Kong in Mario Kart 8 and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, I’m actually not even sure about his future with Mario spin-off games with him appearing regularly anymore; though I think he hopefully has a bright future in future DKC games along with Dixie Kong, DK, Cranky, Funky, and King K. Rool and the Kremlings).

Some out there are even okay with Donkey Kong being portrayed as a blundering buffoon that tosses barrels at people and makes a mess everywhere he goes instead of being portrayed as a cool-headed, fun-loving character with a strong morale (which goes great with his strong physique) as Rareware intended him to be.

As it pertains to the media, being a journalist is a privilege that should be treated as such. As a journalist, if you lack the serious qualities of being an objective professional, then you can spread your toxic mentality onto others, possibly without much realization about it. The consequences of lacking integrous values (lacking values of integrity) can lead to a cultural division in any fanbase. The narrow-minded, close-minded, and toxic people from any social site that give Dixie the “Wig Diddy” label may have been influenced by some members of the media or coincidentally think in a similar manner.

The thing about the DK series is; some of the current generation of gamers don’t find DK’s characters appealing as they would with anime characters. That said, one of best things about a character like Dixie Kong is that we don’t ever have to be troubled with some random guy at a forum like Gamefaqs calling her a “waifu” and we, instead of that, can truly appreciate her for her personality, impact on DK fans, and what she brings to the table like her hair spinning abilities that is a true game changer.

ChronoBound ChronoBound made a great point back in post #8122 as it pertains to what Dixie means to the DK community and how enormous her appearance in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate would be for us fans here instead of developers trying to please people that want more waifus.

Hey Mariomaniac45213 Mariomaniac45213 that’s a great monster cake you showcased at post #8897, it reminds me of the guy from IGN who attacked the Kongs and the Kremlings.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Somehow it feels.. wrong for DK and Diddy to be eating lobster and turkey.

Top Bottom