• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Had a dream about Dixie Kong in Smash last night. Can't remember anything about it unfortunately but I thought I'd mention it regardless.

So, Diddy in Ultimate actually has one of the slower air speeds in the game. It makes sense that Dixie would be fairly quick in the air at the expense of some ground speed, which would make for a nice contrast compared to Diddy. Her air speed doesn't have to be as good as Jigglypuff or anything, but somewhere in the Roy/Chrom/Wolf range would be good for her.

On that note, I could see her combo game being fairly diagonal, and I think a lot of her moves could support that. For instance, she could have a down tilt like Diddy's but instead of sending people out, it launches people up where she can start a combo. Her up air could be a similar upward kick, but sends people out more horizontally like Doc's or Ganondorf's, where she can then chase them through the air. It would be a good way to reuse some of Diddy's moves (if needed) while still making them different and fitting her style.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Had a dream about Dixie Kong in Smash last night. Can't remember anything about it unfortunately but I thought I'd mention it regardless.

So, Diddy in Ultimate actually has one of the slower air speeds in the game. It makes sense that Dixie would be fairly quick in the air at the expense of some ground speed, which would make for a nice contrast compared to Diddy. Her air speed doesn't have to be as good as Jigglypuff or anything, but somewhere in the Roy/Chrom/Wolf range would be good for her.

On that note, I could see her combo game being fairly diagonal, and I think a lot of her moves could support that. For instance, she could have a down tilt like Diddy's but instead of sending people out, it launches people up where she can start a combo. Her up air could be a similar upward kick, but sends people out more horizontally like Doc's or Ganondorf's, where she can then chase them through the air. It would be a good way to reuse some of Diddy's moves (if needed) while still making them different and fitting her style.
I hope if Dixie gets in she dominates the tier list and metagame so that everyone will be talking about her!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Been rewatching Subspace Emissary Let's Plays recently, and just remembered how big of a role Diddy Kong had in it, being one of the first characters to join your party. If Dixie had made it into Brawl I wonder how her role would have played out alongside Diddy in terms of story.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Careful. Don’t want her to become the next Bayo or Joker.
IDK, there's a sadistic part of me that enjoys the thought of Dixie Kong finally getting into Smash after all these years and just completely wiping the floor with everyone.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

About the air speed. It's usually common to give poor airspeed to characters that can jump multiple times or have some kind of incredible recovery. Dixie never had amazing speed in the ground or the air. It's the gliding move that helps her with that. If Dixie could glide holding jump that lack of airspeed would totally be justified.
And I totally want that. Playing as Dixie in Smash without holding a button to glide would be a wasted opportunity and anti-natural for me. Almost as much as dash attacking with DK and him not rolling *Glares at any pre-Smash 4 game*.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

It's an idea, but honestly I never got why Diddy's air speed is so slow. In Brawl it sort of made sense, as he had great recovery to help him out... Right now it doesn't. It's weird how DK got such great air speed, but Diddy doesn't. Which is especially weird cause Diddy could make the biggest jump loops with the roll jumps in the original DKC games.

What Dixie could do is emulate a bit of Diddy's old campy and defensive style of Brawl, while making Diddy a bit more rushdown based, as he should've been all this time. Give Dixie a semi tether like grab, in terms of range, slower ground speed, better recovery and make Diddy more of a rushdown character, maybe replace the Banana with a charging cartwheel attack to help with the rushdown and watch magic happen.

I actually would love this because I'd be able to continue to main Diddy and have a great secondary with Dixie.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I gotta say, I'm content with Dixie's ranking in the GameXplain top 100. Cracking the top 5 in a 100-name list of female icons is a great accomplishment, but what I'm happy with most is GameXplain wanting a Dixie who's not an Echo! They want a Dixie who has her own flair and moves, and that's refreshing since many who aren't familiar with her think she can't be anything greater than an Echo.

Disclaimer for everyone who reads this: I know some supporters are fine with Echo status and I'm not throwing any shade or taking shots at y'all. The above paragraph is me being genuinely happy that a group with a big audience is supporting the idea of Dixie being her own character moveset-wise. There's tons of people in that audience who probably never would've thought of that for Dixie, but now that an influential outlet has said it, I'm sure some in that audience are now more open to the idea. Slowly but surely, people can start appreciating the character that is Dixie Kong!

Also, I noticed some people aren't happy with her ranking. Like I said above, top 5, more specifically #4 in a sea of notable names, is EXCELLENT, and I'm more impressed with how they want her portrayed. However, I'd be BS-ing everyone if I was down with ranking her above Lara and Chun Li. Those 2 are in their own leagues and Dixie being near them is a blessing. With that in mind though, I'd definitely rank Chun Li, Lara and Dixie above Pauline. I get that she's got Nintendo seniority and helped launch Nintendo's, Mario's and DK's careers (and by extension Dixie's) but the other 3 females have done a lot for and in their series.

Am I upset? No, I'd rank Pauline lower personally but I'm happy with Dixie's placement and how they handled her. I feel like she's been validated without earning the #1 spot.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I gotta say, I'm content with Dixie's ranking in the GameXplain top 100. Cracking the top 5 in a 100-name list of female icons is a great accomplishment, but what I'm happy with most is GameXplain wanting a Dixie who's not an Echo! They want a Dixie who has her own flair and moves, and that's refreshing since many who aren't familiar with her think she can't be anything greater than an Echo.

Disclaimer for everyone who reads this: I know some supporters are fine with Echo status and I'm not throwing any shade or taking shots at y'all. The above paragraph is me being genuinely happy that a group with a big audience is supporting the idea of Dixie being her own character moveset-wise. There's tons of people in that audience who probably never would've thought of that for Dixie, but now that an influential outlet has said it, I'm sure some in that audience are now more open to the idea. Slowly but surely, people can start appreciating the character that is Dixie Kong!

Also, I noticed some people aren't happy with her ranking. Like I said above, top 5, more specifically #4 in a sea of notable names, is EXCELLENT, and I'm more impressed with how they want her portrayed. However, I'd be BS-ing everyone if I was down with ranking her above Lara and Chun Li. Those 2 are in their own leagues and Dixie being near them is a blessing. With that in mind though, I'd definitely rank Chun Li, Lara and Dixie above Pauline. I get that she's got Nintendo seniority and helped launch Nintendo's, Mario's and DK's careers (and by extension Dixie's) but the other 3 females have done a lot for and in their series.

Am I upset? No, I'd rank Pauline lower personally but I'm happy with Dixie's placement and how they handled her. I feel like she's been validated without earning the #1 spot.
I’m fine with ranking Chun and Lara above Dixie too, though I really want all three of them.
Someone who accuses any female character advocates who rank Chun or Lara above Dixie of 3rd Party bias, should also be accusing any 1st Party advocates who ask for Waluigi and Bandana Dee instead of Dixie of male bias as well.

Last edited:

DeniroSerafim

Smash Apprentice
So, who's gonna draw Dixie as Sam from Death Stranding with Kiddy Kong as her BB? It's kind of funny how both DKC3 and DS have you taking care of a baby the whole time, someone should definitely jump on this for the twitter account, while mentioning Kojima and the 25th anniversary of DKC of course. I'd do it myself if could draw, sadly I know I couldn't do it justice. Anyways just some dumb idea, hope all of you are doing well!

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I wonder what miracle it will take to get Dixie Kong in Ultimate. I really want her in this game, not Smash 6.
Yep, couldn't give less of a s*** if she makes it into Smash 6 if so many of my other favorites don't make it back.

Yes, it is disappointing that Dixie Kong might very well not make the roster to capstone of the Smash Bros. series and onto a roster as legendary as Ultimate's, but you should not be childish about it. Take defeat with dignity and look towards the future.

(I couldn't resist)
Many of us plan for Ultimate to be our final outting with the Smash community. Ultimate even turning out the way it did was even the reason I decided to come back after Smash 4. If Dixie fails to make it in, at least you will have something to look forward to. For myself, there are many characters I cherish on the present roster that I know will most likely not come back next time, and I would want to see Dixie side by side with them. Regardless of whether she is included or not, Ultimate is legendary for me. Ridley. Every veteran returning. Castlevania. Banjo-Kazooie. It is simply miraculous.
Sorry, but I won't be looking that much forward to a game with a bunch of my favorite characters cut anymore than you do. If the next game ends up cutting most or all of my favorites than I guess its my final outing too, the same way Marvel vs Capcom Infinite's god awful roster permanently killed any interest I had in that series. I'd rather fight for her in Ultimate to the last drop rather than give up and wait 7 years for a watered down sequel.

Last edited:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I saw the GameXplain video. I hope the Smash developers discover it and add Dixie by some kind of miracle. I know they probably may have already decided the rest of the DLC by now, but it’s never too late for a Dixie addition or them swapping out a less important DLC character under development for Dixie. We can only hope Dixie is at least one of the DLC characters they decided on for some time now.

It was great to see Dixie up so high in the rankings of that video; however she is #1 in my book, and that’s coming from someone who is a fan of Pauline.

Dixie Kong is the best female candidate for DLC by far, and some people out there have a hard time bringing themselves to admit that she is great for DLC because she is an anthropomorphic simian. Diddy Kong isn’t going to appreciate the trolls calling his girlfriend a wig version of himself.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Wave 4 of Donkey Kong Racing! Finally the 1st row is complete.

Swanky! (Using a redesign I did)
Kopter!
Gnawty!
Bumper!

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I love that Kopter! It looks like you mixed the original Kopter with the new one a bit. A little longer snouted than the original but less lanky than Barrel Blast's.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I woke up after a night where I couldn't see the VGAs and I found there wasn't a new Cranky announcement... Nintendo why??

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I woke up after a night where I couldn't see the VGAs and I found there wasn't a new Cranky announcement... Nintendo why??
Their was no announcement from Nintendo AT ALL I was pissed I sat through 4 hours of boring crap for NOTHING!!

No Bayo 3, No BOTW2 trailer, no smash reveal, no surprise 2020 reveal to round out Nintendo's so far lackluster 2020 line-up nothing...

Last edited:

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
Their was no announcement from Nintendo AT ALL I was pissed I sat through 4 hours of boring crap for NOTHING!!

No Bayo 3, No BOTW2 trailer, no smash reveal, no surprise 2020 reveal to round out Nintendo's so far lackluster 2020 line-up nothing...
Same here. Was very disappointing.
But I hope next Nintendo Direct will be full of BOTW2 and Donkey Kong stuff.
And something nice for Metroid fans too...

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
Since there was no smash reveal at The Game Awards, I'm expecting a Nintendo direct some time next month. And since the next fighter will be revealed during a direct, I think we'll get a bit more news about the 2nd fighter pass as well. I think this will be Dixie's best shot of getting in....I can see her being a gift character like Plant. What do y'all think?

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Since there was no smash reveal at The Game Awards, I'm expecting a Nintendo direct some time next month. And since the next fighter will be revealed during a direct, I think we'll get a bit more news about the 2nd fighter pass as well. I think this will be Dixie's best shot of getting in....I can see her being a gift character like Plant. What do y'all think?
I don't think we will get anything free. :ultpiranha: was supposed to be in the base game but then got turned into an incentive to buy the game early. There is no reason to do that again. If they can make you pay for a DLC character then they will.

Actually. I think the most probable outcome now is the fifth pass fighter getting revealed and released right away after the January direct, and then the first post Pass character gets revealed too.
That's when the chances of a new first party skyrocket. Anyone could be revealed there. Including Dixie.
But that's just a theory. A KONG theory.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Wave 4 of Donkey Kong Racing! Finally the 1st row is complete.

Swanky! (Using a redesign I did)
Kopter!
Gnawty!
Bumper!

By the way, I'll post this on the Twitter in a little bit. I love how you unify the styles for all the characters! I think you made the DKR characters look particularly great IMO. I think they are the weakest of the bunch in their original designs and you made them look very nice.

The only one that to me is iffy in terms of your redesigns is Swanky. You based it off the Jungle Beat helper monkeys right? Very inspired but I think maybe looks too young in terms of how I envision Swanky.

Also, Gnawty looks very cute.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
I don't think we will get anything free. :ultpiranha: was supposed to be in the base game but then got turned into an incentive to buy the game early. There is no reason to do that again. If they can make you pay for a DLC character then they will.

Actually. I think the most probable outcome now is the fifth pass fighter getting revealed and released right away after the January direct, and then the first post Pass character gets revealed too.
That's when the chances of a new first party skyrocket. Anyone could be revealed there. Including Dixie.
But that's just a theory. A KONG theory.
Ah, right, I forgot :ultpiranha: was a gift for buying the game early. I thought it was due to buying the pass early...or something....whoops. I'm trying to imagine how new characters will be released from now on... will they come solo? Will there be another fighter pass? Have echoes been in development? I want Dixie in so bad but I honestly can't see her coming with a new stage and music tracks, as much as I want it. I can see them bringing back the DKC Returns stage... although, I think they'd have to rework it so it works with stage morph....or whatever reason they kept it out in the first place.

I hate this limbo and really want to get an idea of how things will work pass the first pass. At this point I still think Dixie has a good chance, especially if echoes have been in development. I don't want Dixie as an echo but if Sakurai and Nintendo have discussed echoes, Dixie must have been brought up, right? Maybe that could have lead to her being developed as a semi-clone or fully fleshed fighter?

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
By the way, I'll post this on the Twitter in a little bit. I love how you unify the styles for all the characters! I think you made the DKR characters look particularly great IMO. I think they are the weakest of the bunch in their original designs and you made them look very nice.

The only one that to me is iffy in terms of your redesigns is Swanky. You based it off the Jungle Beat helper monkeys right? Very inspired but I think maybe looks too young in terms of how I envision Swanky.

Also, Gnawty looks very cute.
Thanks! I have really liked doing those characters, especially Pipsy. Hmm I can try making Swanky look older.

I was also thinking it would be cool to do character profiles for everyone like this

I thought I could come up with the layout and someone here could write the info. I especially thought you would be good at it. Or maybe no one is interested :laugh: Just an idea I had.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Thanks! I have really liked doing those characters, especially Pipsy. Hmm I can try making Swanky look older.

I was also thinking it would be cool to do character profiles for everyone like this

I thought I could come up with the layout and someone here could write the info. I especially thought you would be good at it. Or maybe no one is interested :laugh: Just an idea I had.
I still think Timber would've made for a good Rare protagonist honestly.
Diddy Kong isn’t going to appreciate the trolls calling his girlfriend a wig version of himself.
Indeed I don't.

Last edited:
Top Bottom