• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Boy oh boy how I wish Dixie Kong was in this group.

Ridley is there with Dark Samus. Meanwhile K. Rool is there all alone. I feel bad for him (Well he actually feels fine because usually Dixie kicks his thicc ass).
Also Morgana, get out of there you are not even a playable character!!

Don't worry. Next year we will have a bunch of new character added. Hopefully one of those includes the best Kong.

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I honestly wonder if part of the reason she isn't in, is because Sakurai didn't feel like Dixie fans were loud enough. Maybe he thought if he added KKR, DK fans would be more content with that? Because I can't speak for everyone on this, but I felt KKR and Banjo fans were a LOT more worried about them ever appearing in another game again, so they made sure they were really loud about it.

Or maybe he just simply doesn't find her as interesting of an inclusion as a lot of the other DLC chars he had planned. Who knows. By Smash 6 though, since the crossover aspect is now gone, it might be a little easier for her to squeak by. Still... she gets into Smash, finally but at the cost of missing out on the biggest video game crossover in history. That's a monkey's (heh) paw situation if I ever saw one.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
There is Ridley there with Dark Samus. Meanwhile K. Rool is there all alone. I feel bad for him (Well he actually feels fine because usually Dixie kicks his thicc ass).

Don't worry. Next year we will have a bunch of new character added. Hopefully one of those includes the best Kong.
Don't diss my boi Morgana.
I honestly wonder if part of the reason she isn't in, is because Sakurai didn't feel like Dixie fans were loud enough. Maybe he thought if he added KKR, DK fans would be more content with that? Because I can't speak for everyone on this, but I felt KKR and Banjo fans were a LOT more worried about them ever appearing in another game again, so they made sure they were really loud about it.

Or maybe he just simply doesn't find her as interesting of an inclusion as a lot of the other DLC chars he had planned. Who knows. By Smash 6 though, since the crossover aspect is now gone, it might be a little easier for her to squeak by. Still... she gets into Smash, finally but at the cost of missing out on the biggest video game crossover in history. That's a monkey's (heh) paw situation if I ever saw one.
It's almost certainly because we weren't loud enough. Also couldn't care less about if she gets into Smash 6, if there's one Nintendo character that should have been in Ultimate it's her.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I really do feel Sakurai felt K.Rool was enough for us DK neanderthals. Which sucks because us DK fans can only get 1 newcomer every other Smash game or 1 newcomer every decade or so. Like I've said since we live in this reality where we can only get 1 new DK character every 10 years. I wouldn't switch out K.Rool for Dixie. K.Rool's life was on the line with this game it was do or die for K.Rool. If K.Rool hadn't made it he would've been lost to the sands of time. I'm sorry I refuse to continue to live in a world without the greatest Nintendo Villain of all time. Dixie had just appeared in Tropical Freeze and has appeared in more Mario spin-offs than K.Rool ever has. So she was good from that standpoint.

Also if Piranha Plant, Duck Hunt, and R.O.B could make it with an "interesting" moveset Dixie sure as hell could. Im sorry those 3 characters alone are proof in my eyes ANY character can have a unique/interesting moveset. 1 is a generic mook who only sticks his head out of a pipe and occasionally shoots fire balls, the other is a dog from one old game who sticks his head out of grass and laughs, and the latter one isnt even a videogame character he's an accessory. So yeah he could easily make a chimp that uses her hair primarily, animal buddies, musical instruments, and barrels work for an interesting moveset.

I think the reasons Dixie has yet to appear in Smash is:

1. Time constraints
2. DK Bias (not just from Sakurai but Nintendo as a whole, the only reason K.Rool was added because the fan demand was much too big to ignore. Had Sakurai said some BS like "K.Rool was not that popular on the ballot" and not added him the backlash would be too huge as the internet would've known that was a bold face lie. Their hands were tied)
3. Indecisiveness from Sakurai. He may not know whether to make Dixie a newcomer, semi-clone, or echo.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I think with the limited number of newcomers in the base roster, K. Rool simply outprioritized Dixie. Even if Dixie fans were as loud as we could be, could we really have competed with K. Rool, a character who hadn't appeared in 10 years and no one was sure would even return? Not to mention that the fanbase was frequently asking for more villains AND more heavies, both of which K. Rool satisfies? (yes Dixie is a girl which is also a fan demand, but I think that peaked around Smash 4's development and wasn't as strong going into Ultimate).

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think with the limited number of newcomers in the base roster, K. Rool simply outprioritized Dixie. Even if Dixie fans were as loud as we could be, could we really have competed with K. Rool, a character who hadn't appeared in 10 years and no one was sure would even return? Not to mention that the fanbase was frequently asking for more villains AND more heavies, both of which K. Rool satisfies? (yes Dixie is a girl which is also a fan demand, but I think that peaked around Smash 4's development and wasn't as strong going into Ultimate).
I don't think we needed to compete with K. Rool, I just think it's ridiculous that 2 DK newcomers is seen as "too much", when other series routinely get multiple newcomers all the time.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Like I said before...I just don't think many people consider Dixie to be that 'essential' of a character.

I think it has something to do with the fact that she was conceived as the second banana to a character that was already a second banana. Like yeah, she did go on to star in two of her own games, but to most people, she's just a girl version of Diddy.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Like I said before...I just don't think many people consider Dixie to be that 'essential' of a character.

I think it has something to do with the fact that she was conceived as the second banana to a character that was already a second banana. Like yeah, she did go on to star in two of her own games, but to most people, she's just a girl version of Diddy.
And those people are wrong and ignorant.

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
And those people are wrong.
Here's hoping when Dixie is included, Smash shows them just how wrong they were.

I don't even say this in a malicious way. I understand the potential ignorance around Dixie, so her inclusion in Smash could rectify that and let people know she's more than that.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
I don't get that argument. There are characters that have way less importance in their series that are in Smash, namely Lucina and Dark Pit, yet they're still in. If anything, you'd think that her being "Girl Diddy" would've made incorporating her a lot easier since she and Diddy share the same body type.

And starring in two of her own games? That's preeetty big for a "side character". Need I mention that she's showed up in various Mario spinoffs in the mid 2000's? And how she even appeared in recent DKC games unlike KKR who needed massive fan outcry to get him back in a game again?

I'm not a DKC expert, admittedly. I only played DKC3 and a little of DKC 1, but I thought it was obvious that Dixie and Diddy had different play styles: Diddy is more ground oriented and plays around with foul tricks, while Dixie is more aerial combat oriented. Plus, she has a guitar and bubblegum to potentially differentiate herself more. Like, to me this just sounds like a "Luigi is just Green Mario" type rebuttal. It's hard to deny that Dixie and Diddy share similar proportions, but that doesn't mean they're the same character. Even if they were, characters who had less importance and attention in their franchise (Like Richter or Dark Samus), are playable in Smash, while she isn't. You'd think that her being so similar to Diddy would mean an easy clone and therefore an easy roster addition. o.o

For the record, I'm not trying to say that KKR, Lucina, Richter etc. didn't deserve their spots; that's neither here nor there. I'm just confused at this "girl diddy" logic, as if that's the main reason she wasn't in.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
it has nothing to do with her inclusion at an internal level because i doubt the smash dev team thinks of her as simply "girl diddy".

but there are a lot of smash fans that do, which is why many people say she's "boring" or don't care about her. and fan response CAN be a factor in which characters get included or not.

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
it has nothing to do with her inclusion at an internal level because i doubt the smash dev team thinks of her as simply "girl diddy".

but there are a lot of smash fans that do, which is why many people say she's "boring" or don't care about her. and fan response CAN be a factor in which characters get included or not.
You see, this is probably it. She's the third main character of the DKC series pretty much. Of course she's essential, but her design is less exciting than KKR, a character who is of a completely different species. As a result, she's considered less interesting as a fighter in the eyes of many, even though she's plenty capable of having her own set of moves. At this point, I guess all you can do is continue supporting her until the devs consider her worthy of being added.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I still firmly believe that Dixie Kong not being included as an Echo Fighter in Smash Ultimate's base game is a sign that yes, the developers see her as more than just "girl Diddy". If that's all she was to them, she would have gotten in already.

The only semi-clone in the base game was Isabelle, and I think this is 100% understandable. Isabelle has just been a steadily rising star and her absence as a playable character would have been weird to Animal Crossing fans, but her proportions don't match Villager at all so when making her a clone, they made her especially unique and even gave her the fishing rod that some Animal Crossing fans were confused wasn't in Villager's moveset.

Also, and I hope DKC fans don't take this too personally, but in the time around Smash 4 and between 4 and Ultimate's release, Isabelle was simply in more games than Dixie was; Isabelle was always going to be higher priority for that alone if there was only one clone they could upgrade to semi-clone, or only one spot for a semi-clone in general. The developers needed to maximize the amount of full blown newcomers they could implement with the limited newcomer space they had with Everyone Is Here, and even Echo Fighters take time, and I think every base game Ultimate newcomer was chosen very well (Incineroar could have been any Pokémon Sun and Moon creature, though. Pokémon is probably the only series to have an actual "slot" for a fighter these days).

I think if Dixie ever gets in, she'd be a semi-clone like Isabelle was, or at the very least a Chrom style Echo Fighter where her up-B is different. Of course, like I stated in the first paragraph, they could have just done that in the base game but they didn't, so I'm more confident in the semi-clone theory. Here's hoping again that the post Pass DLC will indeed be a mix of third-party and first-party (I don't see Sakurai or Nintendo stopping the third-party train) and that Dixie is part of the latter even if the latter is partly advertisement picks from recent or upcoming Switch games.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
There is Ridley there with Dark Samus. Meanwhile K. Rool is there all alone. I feel bad for him (Well he actually feels fine because usually Dixie kicks his thicc ass).

Actually, K. Rool is beside his fellow Rare characters Banjo & Kazooie.

I really do feel Sakurai felt K.Rool was enough for us DK neanderthals. Which sucks because us DK fans can only get 1 newcomer every other Smash game or 1 newcomer every decade or so. Like I've said since we live in this reality where we can only get 1 new DK character every 10 years. I wouldn't switch out K.Rool for Dixie. K.Rool's life was on the line with this game it was do or die for K.Rool. If K.Rool hadn't made it he would've been lost to the sands of time. I'm sorry I refuse to continue to live in a world without the greatest Nintendo Villain of all time. Dixie had just appeared in Tropical Freeze and has appeared in more Mario spin-offs than K.Rool ever has. So she was good from that standpoint.

Also if Piranha Plant, Duck Hunt, and R.O.B could make it with an "interesting" moveset Dixie sure as hell could. Im sorry those 3 characters alone are proof in my eyes ANY character can have a unique/interesting moveset. 1 is a generic mook who only
sticks his head out of a pipe and occasionally shoots fire balls, the other is a dog from one old game who sticks his head out of grass and laughs, and the latter one isnt even a videogame character he's an accessory. So yeah he could easily make a chimp that uses her hair primarily, animal buddies, musical instruments, and barrels work for an interesting moveset.

I think the reasons Dixie has yet to appear in Smash is:

1. Time constraints
2. DK Bias (not just from Sakurai but Nintendo as a whole, the only reason K.Rool was added because the fan demand was much too big to ignore. Had Sakurai said some BS like "K.Rool was not that popular on the ballot" and not added him the backlash would be too huge as the internet would've known that was a bold face lie. Their hands were tied)
3. Indecisiveness from Sakurai. He may not know whether to make Dixie a newcomer, semi-clone, or echo.
3 Is definitely the most likely case.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

Interesting. Cool to see Dixie, but her Diddy mannerisms are pretty weird. I guess this is a glimpse of what Dixie would be like if she was an echo. Gives me the heebie jeebies.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Interesting. Cool to see Dixie, but her Diddy mannerisms are pretty weird. I guess this is a glimpse of what Dixie would be like if she was an echo. Gives me the heebie jeebies.
It's still progress forward from all of the straight model swaps with Diddy since the various Brawl/Project M-hacks.

Maybe we'll see more customized animations later.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

One of the things people seem to gloss over or outright forget about Dixie, is that even back in DKC2 Rare made sure to differentiate her from Diddy as much as possible. She didn't just run slower than Diddy, she ran with her own animations, she climbed with her own animations, attacked differently and with her own animations, grabbed and threw differently, with her own animations. Cleared a level differently, had her own leitmotif, idles, death and falling animations. Not to mention an ability Diddy couldn't do at all.

From the get-go she was her own Kong with a superficially similar look to her boyfriend. They were 2 small Kongs rocking a hat and shirt combo and fused eyesockets, but when you looked at their abilities, attacks, mannerisms and animations you'd easily see they weren't interchangeable. Every playable Kong was like that with nuance; compare Diddy and Dixie to Mario and Luigi, Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man, Cuphead and Mugman, and many other Player 2's out there. Luigi literally started off as a palette swap before slowly getting his own identity over the decades; Ms. Pac-Man is (despite what she says) Pac-Man with a bow and beauty mark; her differences is based entirely on her game's maze layout; Mugman is the same as Cuphead outside of a different head, blue shorts and different "Get Ready!" poses. Even Shadow, who I thought was much better than Sonic as a kid debuted with only his own running animations, one less ability (Bouncing) from Sonic and a cutscene move called Chaos Spear. It's remarkable that they managed to make Dixie different in her very 1st game; most developers tend to make one base model, change up the face and color scheme, then call it a day; Nintendo is notorious for this, especially in the sidescroller days.

This needs to be reflected if she gets into Smash Bros. Tacking her onto Diddy's model with a tweak here or there won't do; she didn't debut as Girl Diddy and we shouldn't settle for that in SSB. Different Dash Attack, Speed, Grabs, Throws, Air Game, Down Smash (Tropical Freeze) and Up B are the absolute bare minimum in addition to her own animations. There's tons of moveset potential, and like Mariomaniac said, if ROB, Duck Hunt and Piranha Plant (as well as Olimar) can get their own unique moves so can Dixie. Those characters had less material to work with and look how they turned out; Moveset potential should never be a problem.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Don't diss my boi Morgana.
Morgana: Aw, thanks for defending me, now go to SLEEP.

Actually, K. Rool is beside his fellow Rare characters Banjo & Kazooie.
Then I regret what I said about him being fine.
K Rool buried.jpg

From the get-go she was her own Kong with a superficially similar look to her boyfriend.
This word right here is key. Becuase people are superficial in general. "This looks similar, well, it's the same then". Add that to the fact that many people that are part of the Smash community today have never touched a DK game thanks to Nintendo's amazing management of the franchise. And we have as a result a crowd parroting "Wig Diddy".
A few years ago I modded Dixie's into Smash 4. It was basically Diddy wearing her clothes. It was... off-putting... to say the least. Nothing felt like Dixie, animations, moves (Dang Jetpack and banana) and of course... voice (I never got used to Diddy's, so for Dixie it's just worse).
But to be honest, this happens to every character. There are people parroting about Bandana Dee being unknown when he's been in every single Kirby game since 2008. Krystal being irrelevant..yadda..yadda... is just not worth to read and pay attention to ignorant people.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
View attachment 249811

Imagine if Dixie was in this trailer. She'd be at a direct 90 degree angle above Diddy and a 45 degree angle above DK, forming a perfect triangle punch against Rool.

Sigh......
The picture is not perfect because it doesn't have Dixie Kong, so it's imperfect.

Then I regret what I said about him being fine.
Gruntilda: Look as the Kremling king falls, look at him go! As he'll be sown down to a ten feet hole!

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
The picture is not perfect because it doesn't have Dixie Kong, so it's imperfect.
Yup, an otherwise great trailer ruined by one glaring omission.

Gruntilda: Look as the Kremling king falls, look at him go! As he'll be sown down to a ten feet hole!
They should have a sequence with DK, Diddy, Dixie, and Banjo & Kazooie playing with K. Rool's crown like the ending of Banjo Tooie for Dixie's trailer.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yup, an otherwise great trailer ruined by one glaring omission.

They should have a sequence with DK, Diddy, Dixie, and Banjo & Kazooie playing with K. Rool's crown like the ending of Banjo Tooie for Dixie's trailer.
And than announce that a Dry K. Rool Echo was in the works with a Funky Kong Echo and a unique Dixie Kong.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
View attachment 249811

Imagine if Dixie was in this trailer. She'd be at a direct 90 degree angle above Diddy and a 45 degree angle above DK, forming a perfect triangle punch against Rool.

Sigh......
Yeah Dixie would've been amazing. I really wanted a duel K.Rool and Dixie reveal. That being said that photo is still the greatest still out of any newcomer trailer. It was so amazing and triumphant. K.Rool is back and hes still up to his old tricks!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
To this day, it still disappoints me how I was totally calling a dual reveal with King K. Rool and Dixie last August, yet it never happened.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
To this day, it still disappoints me how I was totally calling a dual reveal with King K. Rool and Dixie last August, yet it never happened.
I got disappointed twice, once with K. Rool and once with Banjo. Both characters that would have been absolutely perfect to pair Dixie with. If they could pair frickin' Ken and Incineroar together, I just wish they could have dual revealed Dixie with one of them.

Such an incomplete picture.... Sakurai went out of his way to give a story to the Rare characters and yet he couldn't complete that story with the one character that was such a glaring omission. Dixie should have been there clapping along with the other DK characters.

1575520065308.png

She also should have been in this picture.

1575520219099.png

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm not even all that surprised anymore that Dixie is missing. Both Diddy and King K.Rool took way too long to get in as well.

Diddy took as late as Brawl to enter Smash, and his absence in Melee is also one of Smash's bigger mysteries, while he had every reason to get in. It was around time Diddy's popularity was probably the highest it ever was. Plus he had his own game in Diddy Kong Racing, and was the only returning Kong amongst DK in DK64. He was marketed a lot due to this as well.

Yet no Melee appearance, not even a trophy.

King K.Rool was also quite popular and requested especially before Smash 4, and of course Ultimate, but the life course of Smash 4 really shined a light on the community wanting nothing more than K.Rool being back again, and especially in Smash.

Smash 4's DLC cycle couldn't give us more than a Mii Brawler costume. Of fine quality I must say, but not what we wanted.

Ultimate also would've been a great time to get Dixie back, and actually still is, but I'm very supportive of bringing K.Rool and Banjo back before her. Because it's the most we've ever been given.

Nintendo acknowledging Rare by adding Banjo-Kazooie in Smash is great. It's also a big plus for Dixie in the long run. If Nintendo can respect Banjo, there's no way Dixie won't be keeping a steady record of appearances in DK games.

Shame however that there's nothing to speak of regarding new DK games....but we know that.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I'm not even all that surprised anymore that Dixie is missing. Both Diddy and King K.Rool took way too long to get in as well.

Diddy took as late as Brawl to enter Smash, and his absence in Melee is also one of Smash's bigger mysteries, while he had every reason to get in. It was around time Diddy's popularity was probably the highest it ever was. Plus he had his own game in Diddy Kong Racing, and was the only returning Kong amongst DK in DK64. He was marketed a lot due to this as well.

Yet no Melee appearance, not even a trophy.

King K.Rool was also quite popular and requested especially before Smash 4, and of course Ultimate, but the life course of Smash 4 really shined a light on the community wanting nothing more than K.Rool being back again, and especially in Smash.

Smash 4's DLC cycle couldn't give us more than a Mii Brawler costume. Of fine quality I must say, but not what we wanted.

Ultimate also would've been a great time to get Dixie back, and actually still is, but I'm very supportive of bringing K.Rool and Banjo back before her. Because it's the most we've ever been given.

Nintendo acknowledging Rare by adding Banjo-Kazooie in Smash is great. It's also a big plus for Dixie in the long run. If Nintendo can respect Banjo, there's no way Dixie won't be keeping a steady record of appearances in DK games.

Shame however that there's nothing to speak of regarding new DK games....but we know that.
It's still pretty mind blowing that even after 17 years after the buyout Nintendo was willing to acknowledge Rareware, Banjo-Kazooie and it's connection with Donkey Kong.

It seemed like in recent years they try to sweep a lot of that legacy under rug, But there are so many fans to this day that talk about how highly regarded Rare was that they never forget and let go of how important their legacy was to Nintendo and I guess Nintendo felt they had to acknowledge it.

The trailer titled "Best Friends" was an absolute love letter to fans of Banjo-Kazooie, Donkey Kong and Rareware as a whole and acknowledges Banjo-Kazooie's canonical friendship with Diddy Kong and DK because of Diddy Kong Racing, the only thing that would of made it better if Dixie Kong was included which I honestly thought was going to happen midway through the King K. Rool direct last year.

I have watched both of these trailers countless times and will never ever get sick of them.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I don't need a new DKC platformer right away since I'm still slowly whittling away at Tropical Freeze, but I would like to see the series have a little more of a presence in the meantime. We know the SNES app is going to be getting new games now so with any luck the SNES trilogy will be coming along any month now.

Between the Tropical Freeze port, K. Rool in Smash, and the Mario & Rabbids DLC, it seems like Nintendo is trying to keep the franchise's heart beating, which makes me curious whether or not there's anything in the pipeline...

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't need a new DKC platformer right away since I'm still slowly whittling away at Tropical Freeze, but I would like to see the series have a little more of a presence in the meantime. We know the SNES app is going to be getting new games now so with any luck the SNES trilogy will be coming along any month now.

Between the Tropical Freeze port, K. Rool in Smash, and the Mario & Rabbids DLC, it seems like Nintendo is trying to keep the franchise's heart beating, which makes me curious whether or not there's anything in the pipeline...
And than we got the upcoming DKC theme park at Universal Studios coming in the future:beezo::beezo::beezo: Nintendo is definitely up to something with the DKC brand.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I wish I was artistic or had the money to commission a piece of art. Theirs a piece of artwork Im dying to see. I want a piece of art titled "The REAL New Donk Players" and its Pauline singing with the Kongs as the band members.

Donkey playing Bongos, Diddy and Dixie on guitars, Lanky on Trombone, Chunky on Triangle, and Tiny on Sax.

Dan

Smash Lord
To me, the final old-guard of characters that need to be included for the diehards: Geno, Isaac, Dixie and Bandana Dee.

We unfortunately live in an era where Smash is all about anime swords and surprise reveals; this is no longer the "Nintendo's All-Stars duke it out!" that I grew up with... I almost feel like my game is being invaded by people who just want to boost the popularity of their character, but Sakruai has now made it clear that Smash is just a celebration of gaming (which I wish they just kept it primarily Nintendo with characters who actually fit like Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, etc.)

This is sadly the generation we live in:

Sans Mii costume: internet screams
Dixie Kong is a playable fighter: crickets

Maybe not that extreme, but you get what I mean... I actually hope I'd be wrong on this and the internet would be hyped, cause I sure would... is Dixie Kong a "boomer character"? I mean, she still has regular appearances. I feel like she deserves to be in at this point at least as a Diddy semi-clone... it's too bad she didn't make the cut in Brawl.

Well simply put, K. Rool, Ridley and Simon were the highest ballot-getters: that's why they got in. Who knows why Nintendo put Banjo in (which is awesome btw, since it's breaks up the monotony of a bunch of boring humans).

I don't get that argument. There are characters that have way less importance in their series that are in Smash, namely Lucina and Dark Pit, yet they're still in. If anything, you'd think that her being "Girl Diddy" would've made incorporating her a lot easier since she and Diddy share the same body type.
I mean, do you want her to be forever stuck as a Diddy clone/semi-clone?

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Well simply put, K. Rool, Ridley and Simon were the highest ballot-getters: that's why they got in. Who knows why Nintendo put Banjo in (which is awesome btw, since it's breaks up the monotony of a bunch of boring humans).

No, lol. I just think she needs to be in already and if that's the only way she could be in, then so be it. That's just me though.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If you didn't know, Banjo & Kazooie were highly requested characters during the Smash Ballot so that's probably why they're in. Even though Sakurai hasn't comment yet on them being in because of the Smash Ballot, he did say in a Fatmitsu interview that Banjo & Kazooie along with Ridley and K. Rool have been requested for years. So honestly, they're in because of the Smash Ballot.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
But to be honest, this happens to every character. There are people parroting about Bandana Dee being unknown when he's been in every single Kirby game since 2008. Krystal being irrelevant..yadda..yadda... is just not worth to read and pay attention to ignorant people.
True, I just think that we gotta challenge those mindsets every now and then. If they're left to say whatever with no opposition, it becomes the norm.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
To me, the final old-guard of characters that need to be included for the diehards: Geno, Isaac, Dixie and Bandana Dee.

We unfortunately live in an era where Smash is all about anime swords and surprise reveals; this is no longer the "Nintendo's All-Stars duke it out!" that I grew up with... I almost feel like my game is being invaded by people who just want to boost the popularity of their character, but Sakruai has now made it clear that Smash is just a celebration of gaming (which I wish they just kept it primarily Nintendo with characters who actually fit like Sonic, Pac-Man, Mega Man, etc.)

This is sadly the generation we live in:

Sans Mii costume: internet screams
Dixie Kong is a playable fighter: crickets

Maybe not that extreme, but you get what I mean... I actually hope I'd be wrong on this and the internet would be hyped, cause I sure would... is Dixie Kong a "boomer character"? I mean, she still has regular appearances. I feel like she deserves to be in at this point at least as a Diddy semi-clone... it's too bad she didn't make the cut in Brawl.

Any character that has a lot of fans, potentially unique moves and an exciting trailer can generate hyped which Dixie can bring.

The detractors are usually outnumbered by the people who are happy with characters that has a lot of supporters.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Dixie as a semi-clone would still be incredible, and it's unrealistic for Dixie to not share even a couple of moves with Diddy. "Stuck as a semi-clone" like we're lucky if she gets in as anything other than an Echo Fighter.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I think Dixie's absence just feels all the more frustrating given how good the DK series was (and to some degree still is today). DKC was the title that helped Nintendo push back against Sonic in the console wars. DKC 2 was a commercial and critical success, seen by some as the best SNES platformer of all time. Diddy Kong Racing arguably outdid Mario Kart in its mechanics, incorporating a single player campaign unsurpassed by the MK series to this day. Tropical Freeze emerged as the one of the greatest 2D platformers of all time outdoing numerous other titles even in that genre's contemporary renaissance.

Its a bit of a running joke now that the big N could treat many of its various franchises (Star Fox, F-Zero, Paper Mario) better, but the Donkey Kong series delivers such strong results (including sales) in the hands of companies like Rare and Retro that it often feels like Nintendo never quite sees the same potential in its gameplay and characters as its fans do. Its incredible to have K Rool in Smash, but it does feel telling of the franchise's wider status that it seemingly took direct blatant evidence of fan demand in the form of ballots to get him in.

Top Bottom