• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
How the fu*k did we get on King Boo in the first place in the Dixie thread!? Anyway here's part 2 of GameXplain's Gregg/Steve Mayles discussion regarding DKC's 25th anniversary:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
whats funny is that cranky was created either in 1981 or 1994 (depending on how you interpret it). in either case he's actually a millenial.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
How the fu*k did we get on King Boo in the first place in the Dixie thread!? Anyway here's part 2 of GameXplain's Gregg/Steve Mayles discussion regarding DKC's 25th anniversary:

Funny how programming DKC was so hard for its time. I never thought of the color pallet limit that the SNES had or the cartridge space. And these wizards managed to fit everything in without me noticing for years all the re-used and copypasted assets with the same colors all over the levels. Wow.
Also, DKC2's interviews for the next year.... nice.... (Because it's a much better game, DKC1 is Terminator but DKC2 is the Terminator 2 of the series)

But.... I didn't like how it derailed into promoting Impossible Lair near the end. Yeah, it's a good game, and anyone here who dares to declare himself / herself fan of DKC SHOULD play and beat it. But that amount of time dedicated to it was excessive.

Diddy and Dixie annoying their elders by jamming out with their new fangled hip music.
That style is so similar to Atlus' games. I think I would pay millions to hear Diddy and Dixie's cover of Persona 3's Mass Destruction.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
So about that age old rumor that a new Diddy Kong Racing was planned, do you guys think we'll ever get to see a game like that?

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Diddy and Dixie annoying their elders by jamming out with their new fangled hip music.

I'm slightly annoyed how Diddy doesn't have his boom box in one of his Smash victory
screens.

WHEN Dixie is playable, she better have her guitar in victory, or even better, as her final smash acting like DK's previous FS, just without the player input

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm slightly annoyed how Diddy doesn't have his boom box in one of his Smash victory
screens.

WHEN Dixie is playable, she better have her guitar in victory, or even better, as her final smash acting like DK's previous FS, just without the player input
Be prepared to be slightly annoyed yet again.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
So about that age old rumor that a new Diddy Kong Racing was planned, do you guys think we'll ever get to see a game like that?
I think eventually we will considering how many times Nintendo has revisited the idea a few times for those who are unaware of and would differentiate it enough from Mario Kart.

- E3 2001: Donkey Kong Racing was announced for the Gamecube , But of course we all know it was later cancelled because of the 2002 Microsoft/Rare Buyout.

- In 2004 another British studio called "Climax" pitched a sequel idea to Nintendo called Diddy Kong Racing Adventure, But was never greenlit.

-Late 2000's- Early 2010's, This is based on pure speculation, But if you check and read the link , A ton if it makes a lot of sense and sounds very believable.

Minnesota developer "Monster Games" who specialize mainly in racing games and have worked on Nintendo's ExciteTruck and ExciteBots games on the Wii were tasked with a sequel of DKR with assistance from Retro Studios, which explains the animal based vehicles in Excitebots and the studio porting Donkey Kong Country Returns 3DS and assisting Retro Studios with Tropical Freeze so the assets can be used for the upcoming game and why Retro Studios assisted with Mario Kart 7 and could probably explain why they haven't came out with a game since 2014 DKC: Tropical Freeze.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kevinc...range-development-of-diddy-kong-racing-2/amp/

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think eventually we will considering how many times Nintendo has revisited the idea a few times for those who are unaware of and would differentiate it enough from Mario Kart.

- E3 2001: Donkey Kong Racing was announced for the Gamecube , But was later cancelled because of the 2002 Microsoft/Rare Buyout.

- In 2004 another British studio called "Climax" pitched a sequel idea to Nintendo called Diddy Kong Racing Adventure, But was never greenlit.

-Late 2000's- Early 2010's, This is based on pure speculation, But a ton if it makes a lot of sense and I somewhat buy it.

Minnesota developer "Monster Games" who specialize mainly in racing games and have worked on Nintendo's Excitebike and Excitebots games on the Wii were tasked with a sequel of DKR which explains the animal based vehicles in Excitebots and the studio porting Donkey Kong Country Returns 3DS and assisting Retro Studios with Tropical Freeze so the assets can be uses for the game.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/kevinc...range-development-of-diddy-kong-racing-2/amp/
That Donkey Kong Racing trailer makes me more depressed each time I see it as we will never really know what could have been. :crying:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I really want a Diddy Kong Racing sequel. If it happens I’d like for them to include Dixie and Tiny Kong. Please include the whole classic roster too.

although I wonder what new characters they could add.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
They can't add that many new characters to a new Diddy Kong Racing. All the cast except Diddy (And Dixie and Tiny in the remake) were original and making their videogame debut anyway (Banjo and Conker IPs are technically Donkey Kong Spin Offs).
That's why I thought Donkey Kong Racing was a really good idea, to give the DK support cast some spotlight instead of focusing on DK and Diddy and forgetting about all of them (Like it actually happened) and Barrel Blast was also a good idea, but NOT well executed.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i'm still holding out for a donkey kong musou game tbh. imagine using chunky kong's mighty arms to slay hundreds of kremlings while they all make the dkc2 OUGH noise

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
If the rumor from BKupa666 BKupa666 's source awhile back was true about Nintendo wanting to make DK big again then yeah, I think a Diddy Kong Racing sequel will happen eventually.
To be clear, I have no source, but DK Vine’s admin, who does (albeit one who provides after-the-fact context instead of leaking things in advance), has heard that Nintendo wants to reestablish DK as a core brand, and has said as much on multiple Kongversation podcasts.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
To be clear, I have no source, but DK Vine’s admin, who does (albeit one who provides after-the-fact context instead of leaking things in advance), has heard that Nintendo wants to reestablish DK as a core brand, and has said as much on multiple Kongversation podcasts.
They can do that by adding Dixie, the last CORE DK character, to Smash Bros then!

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
They can do that by adding Dixie, the last core DK character, to Smash then!
I'm afraid that Sakurai and co won't take priority on Dixie until Smash 6, especially since most if not all of the DLC in Ultimate will probably be nothing but 3rd party picks.

Last edited:

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
I'm afraid that Sakurai and co won't take priority on Dixie until Smash 6, especially since most if not all of the DLC in Ultimate will probably be nothing but 3rd party picks.
They could speed things up by adding Dixie to Mario Kart in order to bring attention to her.

But no, here's stupid palette swap number 9 instead.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Part 3 of GameXplain's DKC 25th anniversary discussion this time with David Wise!

Edit: ZeroJanitor ZeroJanitor I've been preaching for a Donkey Kong Warriors for awhile. Not just Kremlings but bring in the Tikis, Snowmads, Kremlings, and Jungle Beat enemies. Have the story just be "All these groups are battling for the Kongs banana hoard"

Playable characters:

- Donkey Kong
- Cranky Kong
- Diddy Kong
- Lanky Kong
- Dixie Kong
- King K.Rool
- Chunky Kong
- Tiny Kong
- Funky Kong
- Wrinkly Kong
- Lord Fredrik
- Kiddy Kong
- Candy Kong

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Happy 24th Anniversary for the Birthday Girl~!

Thought of popping in for the joyous occassion of DKC2's 24th Anniversary today. I know DKC's went just by but my life's been taking rather big priority inbetween to hear about it.

I still wonder what's gonna be happening after the 5th' DLC Character... been indefinitely taking leave from speculation due the series getting tad tiring to follow in it's current form. Really do wish there were some hope spots pointing at return to missing first/second party characters at least.

A Musou-take on DKC would be really fun idea however - if for the high possibility for immense charm that'd make it stand out from the last Nintendo-centric Musous.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Part 3 of GameXplain's DKC 25th anniversary discussion this time with David Wise!

Edit: ZeroJanitor ZeroJanitor I've been preaching for a Donkey Kong Warriors for awhile. Not just Kremlings but bring in the Tikis, Snowmads, Kremlings, and Jungle Beat enemies. Have the story just be "All these groups are battling for the Kongs banana hoard"

Playable characters:

- Donkey Kong
- Cranky Kong
- Diddy Kong
- Lanky Kong
- Dixie Kong
- King K.Rool
- Chunky Kong
- Tiny Kong
- Funky Kong
- Wrinkly Kong
- Lord Fredrik
- Kiddy Kong
- Candy Kong
Whenever he talked about how he managed to program the music in. I understood absolutely nothing!!

But the fact that he made the Donkey Kong Country soundtracks in such short dev cycles (3 months? What?) speaks volumes of David GOD Wise.
Can you imagine that we would have never heard Stickerbush Symphony if the soundtrack wasn't rushed? And even rushed it's a god dang masterpiece.

And then he had 2 years to make Tropical Freeze's soundtrack but still didn't finish all the tracks in time because he was too focused on perfecting his tunes. I wonder what tracks the Metroid composers did in his place. He mentioned bosses. But I'm sure World 1, 5 and 6's bosses themes are from him.
I'm sad that we never heard Eveline Fischer's thoughts. I love her DKC1 tracks and DKC3's original soundtrack. But she never gets as much recognition as Wise and Kirkhope.

About the Musou list. Is it weird that I can imagine movesets for all those characters except Kiddy?

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
To celebrate the birthday of our best girl Dixie. I played DKC2 to 102% it again.
It took me 2:15. That was almost a new record. Too bad I died too many times in the Lost World levels.
Let's see if I get a Personal Best tomorrow when I try to beat DKC1 for its anniversary (Any%. Not 101% because is not fun and a chore).

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
But the fact that he made the Donkey Kong Country soundtracks in such short dev cycles (3 months? What?) speaks volumes of David GOD Wise.
Can you imagine that we would have never heard Stickerbush Symphony if the soundtrack wasn't rushed? And even rushed it's a god dang masterpiece.
Sometimes the best things in Nintendo's history come from rushed/short development cycles. DKC2 released a mere year after the original DKC and its by far the better game in both gameplay and soundtrack. Majora's Mask IMO is also better than OOT. Kirby Planet Robobot is also a good game despite coming out a mere 2 years later after Triple Deluxe (which is also really good).

Obviously theirs exceptions to the rule. DKC3 was a stepdown from 2 and 1 IMO. Metroid Prime 2 is the worst in the trilogy and it had the shortest development cycle out of the 3. Of course both NSMB2 and NSMBU were both incredibly mediocre IMO releasing only 5-6 months inbetween.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
actually DKC3 is the only good video game ever and Dixie Kong isn't in Smash so as not to sully her reputation

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
This and various comments from the Nintendo high officials give me hope. Maybe they are developing a game that's supposed to be the one true grand revival of DKC, and put in as much effort, time and resources as the original DKC, or possibly more.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
Kinda worrying how David Wise in that GameXplain interview mentioned he hadn't been contacted by Nintendo to work on a new DKC game.
ofc he could have signed an NDA and isn't allowed to mention anything... *Sigh*

Vector Victor

Smash Lord
Kinda worrying how David Wise in that GameXplain interview mentioned he hadn't been contacted by Nintendo to work on a new DKC game.
ofc he could have signed an NDA and isn't allowed to mention anything... *Sigh*
Grant said he wasn't contacted by Nintendo concerning Banjo Kazooie songs in Smash. Then in the end he actually composed a song.

So yea, could be NDA for Wise.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Here's Shesez (Boundary Break) 25th anniversary DKC video its an hour long with Chris Sutherland, Gregg and Steve Mayles, Kevin Bayliss, and David Wise.

Also I like how Nintendo hasn't even acknowledged DKC's 25th on any of their social media but they made sure to recognize that its NSMBW's 10th anniversary and the DS's 15th anniversary. People have the nerve to question me when I say Nintendo has a DKC bias..They might as well just make a social media post of Shigeru Miyamoto taking a dump on a DKC cartridge...

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Forget about speedrunning DKC1. Poison Pond ruined my run. Stupid level. I have always hated it. I hate it more than Toxic Tower, Animal Antics, Returns's 6-K or Bobopolis.

So... I ended up restarting and playing the game casually, enjoying some bonuses and Animal Buddy stages. I felt like I was 4 again.
DKC1 is IMO the weakest DKC game. But only because the rest improved upon its foundation.
It's still a fantastic game and I'm glad I grew up playing it and knowing to love videogames thanks to forcing me to GIT GUD lul.

By the way, happy birthday Diddy Kong Diddy Kong . We are the same age now.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Dukemon102 Dukemon102 Really? Bopopolis? That level is really fun and not that challenging IMO. It just requires rhythm and timing. Bopopolis is one of my favorite levels in Tropical Freeze!

R O F L

Smash Ace
With all the recent stuff about Nintendo and Donkey Kong Country, it's almost like Nintendo's deliberately ignoring it..... :thinking:
Hah, I can only dream.

Anyway, happy 25th DKC! I've only been playing the series for little over a year, and I'm glad to say that these games might be my all time favorite video games of all time! The only game I can think of that I might like more than DKC2 is Pikmin 2, but that might just be nostalgia.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Happy 25th Anniversary to one of my most favorite franchise's and series in Nintendo and Video game history: Donkey Kong Country !!!

But let's also not forget that this day also marked the 25th Anniversary of the legendary partnership that was formed between Nintendo and Rareware.

To celebrate here is the VHS of the Making of Donkey Kong Country from 1994.

Donkey Kong Country: Exposed

Last edited:
Top Bottom