• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
^from Dixie's photo album at the end of DKC3. also shows up in Donkey Konga 2, i believe

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Ohh, okay. Interesting. That's some pretty deep level Dixie lore. I do think a camera works with Dixie's aesthetic, too.

StormC

Smash Hero
I voted for Dixie Kong in that google poll that's been going around. Not sure what good it'll do, but anything helps, I suppose.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Not sure what Dixie’s chances are with the new DLC, but am again bummed for no new Donkey Kong game being shown in this last Direct......

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Not sure what Dixie’s chances are with the new DLC, but am again bummed for no new Donkey Kong game being shown in this last Direct......
But remember no other Nintendo franchises matter besides Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Xenoblade, and Pokemon. We're just gonna continue getting enteries in these 6 franchises for the rest of the Switch's lifecycle with the very rare bone thrown to us like New Horizons and Prime 4 (if that game even makes it during the Switch's lifecycle).

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
But remember no other Nintendo franchises matter besides Mario, Zelda, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Xenoblade, and Pokemon. We're just gonna continue getting enteries in these 6 franchises for the rest of the Switch's lifecycle with the very rare bone thrown to us like New Horizons and Prime 4 (if that game even makes it during the Switch's lifecycle).
Xenoblade only 1 character in Smash though... Im reeeally hyped about Xenoblade Chronicles 1 remake! This game deserves to be on the Switch.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Xenoblade only 1 character in Smash though... Im reeeally hyped about Xenoblade Chronicles 1 remake! This game deserves to be on the Switch.
Having never played the original, I’m excited for this game as well. I just hate there’s no new DKC, and that the originals aren’t on the SNES Switch app.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
I bet this was Dixie's reaction when she found out more DLC is on the way:

I wish the rest of the Smash Community would watch this gif, then people might have a better understanding of Dixie's character outside of "she's just Diddy Kong with a wig". I love how expressive they made her in Tropical Freeze. There's more emotion and personality emanating from this 10 second gif, than any anime boy ever could.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Im not talking about characters in Smash. i'm talking about franchises that have had games on Switch. The only Nintendo franchises to see releases on Switch are Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, and Xenoblade within a 3 year time span. Compared to say the Wii or DS which had a ton more franchise variety in its first 3 years on the market.

Yeah Switch also has Tropical Freeze but its just a port...not a brand new game.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'm happy to see most of the replies are Dixie Kong. We need to up those numbers for it to stay that way!

We need to cement Dixie's place as the last Nintendo All Star, and by extension, the Top Rare Contender!

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
so the ride never neds, eh?
our ride of speculation, wait and hype even more than Sakurai's wild ride of overload of work

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
so the ride never neds, eh?
our ride of speculation, wait and hype even more than Sakurai's wild ride of overload of work
I mean, if he wanted to, he could probably stop at anytime. He has to enjoy doing this to some extent or he probably would have moved on a long time ago. He's a grown adult who's probably being paid handsomely for this, he can negotiate his own schedule. He wouldn't even have to do most of the DLC himself, Smash Bros is so big, they pretty much can just set aside a dedicated team just for the DLC. He even made a point in the direct how blown away the team was by how well Ultimate sold, Nintendo themselves clearly see this as a worthy investment to put manpower into.

An aspect about Dixie in particular is that she doesn't have to be built from scratch. Even if she's unique they pretty much already have the hat. Just paste it on to Diddy Kong's model and add some eyelashes and we have the model. I think she'd probably be at least somewhat like Isabelle/Lucas/Wolf.

Last edited:

Super Flygon

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Master_Zach
3DS FC
1289-8257-7574
Switch FC
SW-5750-9817-6593
I'm happy to see most of the replies are Dixie Kong. We need to up those numbers for it to stay that way!

We need to cement Dixie's place as the last Nintendo All Star, and by extension, the Top Rare Contender!
The big question: Who would pretend to be Dixie? Maybe Diddy himself, with Banjo and Kazooie taking Diddy's spot in the trailer.

ze9

Smash Ace
Have you seen Tooty's spirit fight?
Pink Diddy is blatantly there to act for Dixie, who would have acted for Tooty ;_;

cybersai

Smash Ace
Im not talking about characters in Smash. i'm talking about franchises that have had games on Switch. The only Nintendo franchises to see releases on Switch are Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, and Xenoblade within a 3 year time span. Compared to say the Wii or DS which had a ton more franchise variety in its first 3 years on the market.

Yeah Switch also has Tropical Freeze but its just a port...not a brand new game.
They focus on what sells. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby and now Fire Emblem, Splatoon and Xenoblade are top sellers.

Other franchises like Metroid, Donkey Kong, Starfox, F-zero, Pikmin, Punchout, Kid Icarus, etc. go dormant from time to time because they don't sell as well. Nintendo keeps trying to bring Starfox back but it always bombs. Punchout and Kid Icarus had one and done revivals. F-zero is dead.

It is what it is. Blame the fans. That's the only reason Fire Emblem and Xenoblade especially became big franchises.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Never forget that oh so famous tweet where Phil Spencer chose to reply to in order to first publicly voice approval for Banjo in Smash Ultimate.

That tweet that also happened to feature someone else.

5a33645ca1217c25857ae669a2f2654514ce227ar1-750-887v2_uhq.jpg

The very same picture that was later reused by Steve Mayles, this time directly calling for Dixie Kong's addition.

One would think Sakurai is so busy he doesn't have time to constantly listen to all the developer's requests like he did with Snake and Kojima in Brawl, especially with Western developers. But things changed when we heard Toby personally went to Sakurai's house and played Smash with him, even with Sakurai driving Toby home. Perhaps he's been looking at Steve's tweet and saw Phil's as well.

Toby himself also happens to be a bit of a DK fan. (Not really the character I was asking for, but still).

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
So SNES will not have DKC games? Why?
At first I thought maybe yet again rights issues, like when the DKC games were delisted on the original Wii.
I also thought that perhaps a Rare Replay will eventually reach the Switch, albeit with Xbox games replaced with DK ones.
But others on this thread suggesting an HD trilogy remaster/remake may be onto something also.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
They focus on what sells. Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Kirby and now Fire Emblem, Splatoon and Xenoblade are top sellers.

Other franchises like Metroid, Donkey Kong, Starfox, F-zero, Pikmin, Punchout, Kid Icarus, etc. go dormant from time to time because they don't sell as well. Nintendo keeps trying to bring Starfox back but it always bombs. Punchout and Kid Icarus had one and done revivals. F-zero is dead.

It is what it is. Blame the fans. That's the only reason Fire Emblem and Xenoblade especially became big franchises.
I guess those sales numbers I read for Returns on Wii selling over 5 million copies more than any Xenoblade or Fire Emblem title or Tropical Freeze selling over 3 million copies with both the Wii U and Switch versions combined or just the fact that DK is the 5th best selling Nintendo franchise must have been false. My bad.

Also each Pikmin game has sold a million copies each. You also have to account for the fact that every mainline Pikmin game released was released on underperforming hardware (GCN and Wii U). Pikmin hasnt had the chance of true success because it has never been released on successful hardware. Also the fact that Pikmin sold a million copies on GCN as a new IP at the time is nothing short of amazing. Also Punch-Out sold a million copies and it was never billed as a "one and done" in fact NLG has stated in interviews they would love to make a sequel if given the opportunity.

Also I can't blame the fans totally (though I do blame a good chunk of them for ONLY buying Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon and not trying other franchises) for series like Star Fox. Im a huge Star Fox fan but I dont blame the fans for not buying Star Fox because Nintendo keeps making crap Star Fox games. Command used stupid touch controls and had a confusing plot/storyline. Assault (which I think is underrated) had awkward gameplay style and was very short. Adventures wasnt a real Star Fox game and Zero is just downright terrible in every possible way. Its a retread of Star Fox 64 it lacks originality, has terrible bordeline unplayable controls and the graphics were mediocre. Hell even the music in Zero was a letdown and step back from Assault.

I get Nintendo focuses on what sells they are business afterall. But the Switch is selling like hotcakes, people are buying software in droves. 3rd party titles which have had a notorious history with past Nintendo consoles after the SNES of bombing on Nintendo hardware because of the "Nintendo fans dont buy 3rd party games.." stereotype. Are actually selling great on Switch and most 3rd parties on Switch are just old ass ports and we're getting a LOT of 3rd party support. Also Indies are always talking about how their games are breaking records daily on Nintendo Switch.

So with all of this software success you're telling me if Nintendo released a new Donkey Kong, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Punch-Out!!, Nintendogs, Golden Sun, F-Zero, Star Fox, Wario Land/Ware, Rhythm Heaven, Pikmin, Excite, Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, Chibi-Robo, Mii related game (Tomodachi or Switch Sports), Sin & Punishment, Mother trilogy remake, Advance/Batallion Wars, etc. It wouldn't sell as long as the games are good and marketed well? I find that really hard to believe.

Sorry I know Im off topic and my post is really long but I wanted to get this off my chest. I'm already getting Zelda'd out on Switch. I miss when new Zelda games use to be big events because they would take a few years off. Now every year we get a new Zelda game and it just doesn't feel as special. BOTW was a much needed series refresh and yes its a little too early to tell but if BOTW2 feels too samey to the first (kinda like a Galaxy 2 to Galaxy situation) I guarentee Im gonna get bored quickly and probably not finish it.

Last edited:

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Now with Mario Kart ideas outta the way, it's time for the next project:

Donkey Kong Racing! The long awaited sequel to Diddy Kong Racing.

Now who's gonna make the cut?? Probably a lot since it's 64 slots :laugh:

I wanted to use ideas from the Retro games (silhouette levels, menu sceens) to give it an updated look. If anyone has any suggestions they would wanna see to the logo or the roster screen, let me know and I'll try them out!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

I wanted to use ideas from the Retro games (silhouette levels, menu sceens) to give it an updated look. If anyone has any suggestions they would wanna see to the logo or the roster screen, let me know and I'll try them out!
I do wonder if Dixie Kong would have been in the cancelled one for Gamecube. I mean, they had Kiddy Kong there for Christ's sake (along with Tiny, Lanky, and Cranky), but I never saw Dixie in any of the concept art. At least her and Tiny made it into the DS remake of Diddy Kong Racing.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
That's awesome. DK Racing is up there with DK128 as that DK game that got away.

That logo is too nice looking to look inspired by the Retro games.

(cough the monstrosity that is Tropical Freeze logo cough)

Last edited:

DX_E

Smash Apprentice

Dixie will fill out all 64 slots. No other characters needed. Maybe 5 DLC characters..... all Dixie Kong.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Dixie will fill out all 64 slots. No other characters needed. Maybe 5 DLC characters..... all Dixie Kong.
My favorite DKC game is DKC2: Dixie Kong's Quest where Dixie Kong teams up with her gf Dixie Kong to save Dixie Kong from Kaptain Dixie Kong.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

Bluster Kong. DUH

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Listening to the Banjo-Kazooie remixes, what kind of styles do you think any hypothetical songs that would come with Dixie would be remixed in, whether they're from DKC2/DKC3/TF? I noticed a lot of the Banjo songs were more fast paced in order to fit a fighting game style.

I think a Jib Jig cover with the woodwinds and faster melody would be a nice analogue to Gangplank Galleon and Spiral Mountain. Already plugged this before, but wanted to bring it up again as a parallel to the Banjo songs.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
That's awesome. DK Racing is up there with DK128 as that DK game that got away.

That logo is too nice looking to look inspired by the Retro games.

(cough the monstrosity that is Tropical Freeze logo cough)
Thanks. It actually is though! The Donkey Kong part is pretty much identical to the Tropical Freeze logo (minus the stars) lol

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

1. Donkey Kong
2. Diddy Kong
3. Taj the Genie
4. Wizpig
5. King K.Rool
6. Tiny Kong
7. Lanky Kong
8. Donkey Kong Jr.
9. Chunky Kong
10. Swanky Kong
11. Lord Fredrik
12. Kiddy Kong
13. Dixie Kong
14. Wrinkly Kong
15. Cranky Kong
16. Candy Kong
17. Funky Kong
18. Bashmaster
19. Kritter
20. Krunch
21. Kalypso
22. Kip
23. Kass
24. Kopter
25. K.Lumsy
26. Krusha
27. Klump
28. Kludge
29. Kasplat
30. Kudgel
31. Professor Chops
32. Tiptup
33. Army Dillo
34. Rabbid Kong
35. Dogadon
36. Pompy
37. Cactus Kong
38. Ninja Kong
39. Karate Kong
40. Tiki Tong
41. Pauline
42. Mario
43. Baby Donkey Kong
44. Colonel Pluck
45. T.T.
46. Gnawty
47. Kalimbo
48. Brash the bear
49. Banana Fairy Queen
50. Mad Jack
51. Rabbid Cranky
52. Toff
53. Scoff
54. Snide
55. Mugly
56. The Octopus from Returns/Tropical Freeze (forgot name)
57. Snowmad Penguin
58. Another Snowmad enemy
59. Xananab
60. Super Kong
61. Drumstick
62. Boss Hog
63. Snowman boss from DKC3
64. Arcade DK (younger Cranky he's 8-bit)

Jesus that was tough. Had to dig DEEP in the DK lore to fill that roster. I left out animal buddies as I assume they will be the "vehicles" just like the original game.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I guess those sales numbers I read for Returns on Wii selling over 5 million copies more than any Xenoblade or Fire Emblem title or Tropical Freeze selling over 3 million copies with both the Wii U and Switch versions combined or just the fact that DK is the 5th best selling Nintendo franchise must have been false. My bad.

Also each Pikmin game has sold a million copies each. You also have to account for the fact that every mainline Pikmin game released was released on underperforming hardware (GCN and Wii U). Pikmin hasnt had the chance of true success because it has never been released on successful hardware. Also the fact that Pikmin sold a million copies on GCN as a new IP at the time is nothing short of amazing. Also Punch-Out sold a million copies and it was never billed as a "one and done" in fact NLG has stated in interviews they would love to make a sequel if given the opportunity.

Also I can't blame the fans totally (though I do blame a good chunk of them for ONLY buying Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon and not trying other franchises) for series like Star Fox. Im a huge Star Fox fan but I dont blame the fans for not buying Star Fox because Nintendo keeps making crap Star Fox games. Command used stupid touch controls and had a confusing plot/storyline. Assault (which I think is underrated) had awkward gameplay style and was very short. Adventures wasnt a real Star Fox game and Zero is just downright terrible in every possible way. Its a retread of Star Fox 64 it lacks originality, has terrible bordeline unplayable controls and the graphics were mediocre. Hell even the music in Zero was a letdown and step back from Assault.

I get Nintendo focuses on what sells they are business afterall. But the Switch is selling like hotcakes, people are buying software in droves. 3rd party titles which have had a notorious history with past Nintendo consoles after the SNES of bombing on Nintendo hardware because of the "Nintendo fans dont buy 3rd party games.." stereotype. Are actually selling great on Switch and most 3rd parties on Switch are just old *** ports and we're getting a LOT of 3rd party support. Also Indies are always talking about how their games are breaking records daily on Nintendo Switch.

So with all of this software success you're telling me if Nintendo released a new Donkey Kong, Metroid, Kid Icarus, Punch-Out!!, Nintendogs, Golden Sun, F-Zero, Star Fox, Wario Land/Ware, Rhythm Heaven, Pikmin, Excite, Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, Chibi-Robo, Mii related game (Tomodachi or Switch Sports), Sin & Punishment, Mother trilogy remake, Advance/Batallion Wars, etc. It wouldn't sell as long as the games are good and marketed well? I find that really hard to believe.

Sorry I know Im off topic and my post is really long but I wanted to get this off my chest. I'm already getting Zelda'd out on Switch. I miss when new Zelda games use to be big events because they would take a few years off. Now every year we get a new Zelda game and it just doesn't feel as special. BOTW was a much needed series refresh and yes its a little too early to tell but if BOTW2 feels too samey to the first (kinda like a Galaxy 2 to Galaxy situation) I guarentee Im gonna get bored quickly and probably not finish it.
God DAMN did you hit these nails on the head! I was gonna basically make the same reply until I saw your post, as I agree with everything you said. Not just DK but Starfox as well.

DK is treated like a 12th bestseller when it's top 5, and a ton of non-Donkey Kong fans think it's nothing special since Nintendo's not constantly force-feeding it to us. It's tragic how underappreciated it is that even the perception is weak. A trickle of games every 10 years is not helping matters at all either, and that sucks because it's my favorite Nintendo franchise.

Starfox has a "stuck in '64" problem where Nintendo seems afraid to advance it past that one game from the '90's, which is a shame because there's tons of room to grow without infuriating gimmicks. I honestly think Nier Automata's opening section was a better Starfox game than any actual game I've played in a while, but the way Miyamoto perceived Zero's reception tells me he doesn't know how to fix the problem because we just don't get it.

Personally I'm a little disappointed in the Switch. This past Direct and most of the others have been 80% ports and remakes of games I had on other systems (Witcher 3) or games I genuinely don't care about. Sure I'm getting Luigi's Haunted Hotel, but outside of that my PS4 is getting the attention; there's tons of unused IPs like the ones you mentioned and they ALL could use a new game or 3. It's like c'mon Nintendo you have so many treasures and you're just burying them.

Further, as outstanding as Galaxy 2 is, if BotW2 is taking that route it might lose the magic the original had in favor of better gameplay. Yes, gameplay is the king of games, but in Galaxy's case there was a quality and sense of wonder that Galaxy 2 didn't have. It's an extraordinary game for sure but the best comment I read that sums it up was "New Super Mario Bros Wii with a Galaxy aesthetic." I want BotW2 to be better than 1 and not just on paper.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think they have to invest in the characters, including Dixie, including Lanky or King K. Rool or whatever. Characters people like. I think constantly cutting the characters hurt the brand -- people aren't as attached to the DK brand because of that as they might have been.

But, thankfully, the big games have endured enough in people's imagination that there's still a lot they can do to spark love for the series. King K. Rool's inclusion is a demonstration of that -- including all his new fans.

We also need a new game! I really hope it's a 3D game personally because I think DK going 3D again would give it that oomph to turn heads.

Top Bottom