• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

KingZing

Smash Journeyman
Ideally all characters would be unique, but being an echo is nothing bad, Echoes like Dark Samus and specially Chrom proved that while there are some limitations, a lot of originality and thought can be put into them. Even clones are also great chances for some characters to appear in Smash to begin with. So yeah, be what it may, Dixie is welcome to be a fighter nonetheless imo, and with so many characters those distinctions start to feel trivial anyway.

Being an Alph is the real problem.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
The fact that Isabelle has affected expectations for other clone type characters is going to wreck havoc. This might wind up hurting Dixie fans more than helping if she is indeed revealed to be a mere echo.
Fear not, for Chrom was already the blow that sent this thread into free fall! Now with Isabelle, the pendulum has swung to the opposite direction.

Prepare for at least one month of Non-Echo Optimism!

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
I'm gonna predict the next/last Smash focused direct is gonna be on November 2nd. The same day the bundle releases in stores and probably when the game will be on the eshop for pre-load. I could totally see Nintendo doing this to build extra hype "After the direct you can go to stores and pre-order the bundle or go to the Nintendo eshop and pre-load the game!"

This direct will show off the mystery mode, online, 2 newcomers and a few echoes. I'm predicting. I predict Dixie will be in this direct somewhere.
I think there are more than 2 full fighters/semi clones left just based on how much Verge has revealed and how much he‘s not known in the past (like how he didn’t know K Rool or the echoes were in). Also, games aren’t preloaded over a month before they’re out?

My guess would be a Direct in Mid October and a direct in Mid Late November. Maybe they do the last direct before review copies go out to avoid leaks from those. I dunno.

Machete

Smash Ace
Didn't get here to celebrate the news of semiclones still being a thing. I see a lot of people being excited over that, but I genuinely think that Dixie is the only character in a similar enough position to Isabelle to benefit from this. Given her popularity and importance, it's entirely possible that she was planned from the beginning and, just like Isabelle or Wolf, was built on another character's base but still kept unique. So be it as a unique newcomer, or as an echo (the possibility is still there, after all), I am more convinced than ever that Dixie will make it in some form. Which is damn good news.

The iconic DK Crew was always Donkey, Diddy, Dixie and K.Rool. I can't believe the dream of seeing all four of them together might be coming. I was always kind of down with two of my favorite series (Donkey Kong Country and Metroid) being underrepresented, but if Ridley, K.Rool, Dark Samus and Dixie all join the fight, well, as a long time fan of those series, I can say I'll be fully satisfied. I don't think I'd need anyone else from them.

I'll take a Dixie echo but damn it if the very real possibility of an actual Dixie doesn't make me excited.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I think there are more than 2 full fighters/semi clones left just based on how much Verge has revealed and how much he‘s not known in the past (like how he didn’t know K Rool or the echoes were in). Also, games aren’t preloaded over a month before they’re out?

My guess would be a Direct in Mid October and a direct in Mid Late November. Maybe they do the last direct before review copies go out to avoid leaks from those. I dunno.
Umm yes they are. I've pre-loaded Super Mario Party like 2 weeks ago. Pokemon Let's Go has already been confirmed to be pre-loadable in October a month before release. I preloaded Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate like 3 months in advance...

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
Eh, Let’s Go is a simple game whose development likely isn’t coming down to the wire. Smash is going to be coming in fairly hot I think. Part of why I’d expect a later November direct, so they can do it once they’ve done everything they can before launch.

I think a better comparison for Smash Ultimate is Mario Odyssey whose preload went up two days before.

cybersai

Smash Ace
Yeah, the other rumored/expected echoes are Shadow and Ken, who would very obviously be bare-bones echoes of Sonic/Ryu like Daisy/Chrom are.

So if Dixie is a semi-clone like Isabelle, it'd make sense. As I said before, it's possible Isabelle and Dixie started off as echoes too, but then Sakurai re-tooled them into more unique characters due to their importance and popularity. Would make a lot of sense. I also don't see any world where Daisy, Dark Samus or even Chrom were more requested than Dixie.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Fear not, for Chrom was already the blow that sent this thread into free fall! Now with Isabelle, the pendulum has swung to the opposite direction.

Prepare for at least one month of Non-Echo Optimism!
One month of optimism! Yay! Lol we sound so pathetic when you put it that way. But you're not wrong.

Btw, unrelated, but with Final Fantasy coming to Switch, I highly recommend the games to anyone with a Switch who can swing the small price. Some of the best games ever in VII, IX and X. Steer clear of X-2 though, its not very good. But VII is a must play for those who can stomach the ancient graphics. Play it and you'll understand why Cloud is in Smash.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah, the other rumored/expected echoes are Shadow and Ken, who would very obviously be bare-bones echoes of Sonic/Ryu like Daisy/Chrom are.

So if Dixie is a semi-clone like Isabelle, it'd make sense. As I said before, it's possible Isabelle and Dixie started off as echoes too, but then Sakurai re-tooled them into more unique characters due to their importance and popularity. Would make a lot of sense. I also don't see any world where Daisy, Dark Samus or even Chrom were more requested than Dixie.
This right here.

And it bugs me, cause the only potential Echoes people ever seem to talk about are indeed Shadow and Ken. With Isabelle being tagged with them, just because. It's quite close minded honestly. And I bet there are a few more that we never would've even expected. I for example, think that Yarn Yoshi seems like a prime candidate everyone seems to overlook. I mean, c'mon, it's a legimate reason to give YOSHI'S ISLAND a new character. And the stage has been in Smash before the first game even was released. There's also Impa, who thanks to Isabella, can also be "semi-unique" or a sort of blended character who borrows a few moves from other fighters or at least takes inspiration from them. Ganondorf already did this before Isabelle by the way, his "new" Forward and Up Smash are taken from Ike for example, and Down Smash is Cloud's.

Speaking of Dixie, I can rest easy now that she probably will be in the game, and a more unique addition than we expected ever since Chrom. In general, Chrom wasn't a bad thing for us to rely on, but maybe Dixie will be her own "tier" of uniqueness altogheter. Somewhat in between Chrom and Isabelle as terms of unique moveset potential goes. Which in the end, is all fine with me honestly.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
This right here.

And it bugs me, cause the only potential Echoes people ever seem to talk about are indeed Shadow and Ken. With Isabelle being tagged with them, just because. It's quite close minded honestly. And I bet there are a few more that we never would've even expected. I for example, think that Yarn Yoshi seems like a prime candidate everyone seems to overlook. I mean, c'mon, it's a legimate reason to give YOSHI'S ISLAND a new character. And the stage has been in Smash before the first game even was released. There's also Impa, who thanks to Isabella, can also be "semi-unique" or a sort of blended character who borrows a few moves from other fighters or at least takes inspiration from them. Ganondorf already did this before Isabelle by the way, his "new" Forward and Up Smash are taken from Ike for example, and Down Smash is Cloud's.

Speaking of Dixie, I can rest easy now that she probably will be in the game, and a more unique addition than we expected ever since Chrom. In general, Chrom wasn't a bad thing for us to rely on, but maybe Dixie will be her own "tier" of uniqueness altogheter. Somewhat in between Chrom and Isabelle as terms of unique moveset potential goes. Which in the end, is all fine with me honestly.
Agreed with the subject of Echoes there's plenty of choices that could be considered aside from Ken and Shadow. I suppose people are thinking there's only going to be so much of them(it would be nice if we could get Echoes for dlc) time will only tell how many we'll get.

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Personally I don't care if Dixie comes in the echo wagon or not, she will be labeled whatever they want, the echo line is not very clear. There's some levels in building characters from another fighter, so let's wait and see. But I really doubt that she gets the same treatment as Isabelle, maybe she's outside the echo bag because Animal Crossing is serious business and the puppy is its face, who knows. K. Rool was the DK's big shot I'm not very much into another one. At least, is my opinion.
But I don't think that Chrom/Dark Samus status wrecked her options, just the opposite.
With Daisy/Pitoo/Lucina we get mostly carbon copies. Chrom/Dark Samus expanded the 'echo concept', with more work in attacks and animations. And Isabelle shows further development in clone fighters. So, this is the plan: Dixie got very good cards this time. It will be very strange if she's not in. Looking at the clones that we know, assuming that she did well enough in the ballot, and assuming too some Diddy's DNA for her, there's some good chances of Dixie in Ultimate. A carbon copy, a chromesque copy, a clone like Isabelle... I can't go with that 100% (cause, you know, I can't see the future) but it will be reeeally odd if she's not in.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Ideally all characters would be unique, but being an echo is nothing bad, Echoes like Dark Samus and specially Chrom proved that while there are some limitations, a lot of originality and thought can be put into them. Even clones are also great chances for some characters to appear in Smash to begin with. So yeah, be what it may, Dixie is welcome to be a fighter nonetheless imo, and with so many characters those distinctions start to feel trivial anyway.

Being an Alph is the real problem.
I think that Echo newcomers are really last minute filler clones after they added literally all the veterans from Smash 64 to SSB4 plus the unique and semi-clone newcomers from Ultimate.

I believe they started working on the game in 2016 (Sakurai already decided the roster in December 2015, I think) and I am sure adding 68+ unique and semi-clone characters took a lot of time... especially when you consider the time it took to add 103+ stages, 900+ music, and so on.

Maybe :ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus: are Echo newcomers because they were not planned to be in Smash Ultimate in the first place but they were added at the last minute due to how popular they are AND how similar they are to existing characters AND how much remaining time the developers have to add a few more Echo Fighters to buff the number of newcomers before it is time for the game to go gold.

MoonlitIllusion

Smash Champion
I don't know guys, it's hard to imagine us getting two DK newcomer trailers. I feel like she would have been revealed alongside K. Rool if she was unique or a semi-clone or she would just be an Echo. I think she definitely has potential to be more than an Echo and if Sakurai feels the same, she might just not be in the base game at all.
I think the opposite...they've never revealed 2 unique characters in a single trailer and if she were an echo she'd be in his

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Inspired by BirthNote's Mario crossover with Cloud Dixie, I decided to try a Mega Man crossover with Diddy and Dixie as X and Zero!

I wanna do a Diddy and Dixie color scheme for them, but I'm also scared to mess it up :laugh:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Inspired by BirthNote's Mario crossover with Cloud Dixie, I decided to try a Mega Man crossover with Diddy and Dixie as X and Zero!

I wanna do a Diddy and Dixie color scheme for them, but I'm also scared to mess it up :laugh:
Awesome! I actually made a picture like that idea too though it also had Tiny Kong as Axl.

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
Sakurai said there’s be “A few more” echoes in the last Smash Direct. Based on that this doesn’t mean anything.

In any case, could be Dixie is DLC. Certainly, if she’s a DLC character she’s more likely to be fleshed out than if she’s an echo baseline, right?

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
People shouldn't freak out. NOA's marketing team had to put a graphic together to promote this version of the game with the knowledge that Ken and 1 other character, as well as Isabelle were going to be announced over the coming month. It's not the final graphic, just a placeholder. Chill dudes.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
none of the "open slot" theories of the past have ever panned out so i have no reason to believe this one will

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Sakurai said there’s be “A few more” echoes in the last Smash Direct.
No. His exact quote was: "This time we plan to reveal the design to every fighter before the game launches. We will have a few more to announce later. So stay tuned."

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
They're saying there is only 2 more newcomers left cause there's only 2 spots left on the boxart.

I think it's just a placeholder image though.
I SEE....!

One of the problems with the theory is that some characters from the front repeat on the side, and we're currently looking at 34 on the side, and if we subtract the ones who repeat from the front we get... 27.

19 on the front, 27 on the side. Far from 68 known characters (not counting the Echoes, since they're their base's number with an Epsilon), and actually 46. Maybe the other side will have the other 34, but if there's 2 slots left on each side we're looking at 72 characters. 4 more to go (instead of 5 like I hoped. 10 newcomers) which if true, isn't bad.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I SEE....!

One of the problems with the theory is that some characters from the front repeat on the side, and we're currently looking at 34 on the side, and if we subtract the ones who repeat from the front we get... 27.

19 on the front, 27 on the side. Far from 68 known characters (not counting the Echoes, since they're their base's number with an Epsilon), and actually 46. Maybe the other side will have the other 34, but if there's 2 slots left on each side we're looking at 72 characters. 4 more to go (instead of 5 like I hoped. 10 newcomers) which if true, isn't bad.
Scoliosis Jones made this mock-up:

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
end the smash hype with ken and a pokemon?.......... wow i hope not
but why placeholder will keep 2 big black square like that ..... im 50/50 on that one.

:(

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
but why placeholder will keep 2 big black square like that ..... im 50/50 on that one.

:(
One would be Isabelle, and the other supposedly Incineroar.

Even if this was the final roster. I am more than pleased. Ridley finally made his debut. Every veteran returned. K. Rool was added in. Castlevania was finally added in (that franchise is probably the closest one to Nintendo after Mega Man).

If this is all that is left the remaining questions are:
1. How is the single-player?
2. Who are the remaining Assist Trophies?

All DLC characters this time will be newcomers as well.

Maxoxpower

Smash Ace
One would be Isabelle, and the other supposedly Incineroar.

Even if this was the final roster. I am more than pleased. Ridley finally made his debut. Every veteran returned. K. Rool was added in. Castlevania was finally added in (that franchise is probably the closest one to Nintendo after Mega Man).

If this is all that is left the remaining questions are:
1. How is the single-player?
2. Who are the remaining Assist Trophies?

All DLC characters this time will be newcomers as well.
like i said before.... im griddy but Ultimate Without Dixie Kong is not ultimate version

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Scoliosis Jones made this mock-up:

Fir some reason I'm not seeing the image. I thought it was my phone but even my desktop's not displaying it.
Are we thanking Isabelle becuz she proves Dixie Kong doesn't have to be an echo either?
Heck yeah we are! With Chrom being used to justify an Echo, it's A-OK to look to Isabelle for reassurance!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
If there really is only 3 newcomers left (not counting echoes) then I doubt Dixie will get in the game as a newcomer/semi-clone like Isabelle...unfortunately. If she gets in at all it will probably be a Diddy echo (which stings but I'd rather echo Dixie than no Dixie). The last 3 newcomers will probably be Gen 7 Pokemon, Geno, and idk who maybe another 3rd party of some sort.

I just hope Dixie doesn't suffer the same fate as Waluigi, Krystal, Ashley, Knuckles, Shovel Knight, etc...

grizby2

Smash Lord
Are we thanking Isabelle becuz she proves Dixie Kong doesn't have to be an echo either?
I would say so yes XD

my guess is that isabelle was planned to be an echo from the start, but sakurai said ".. nah, we could do better"
instead of heating up a plain bowl of rice, he sprinkled it with sesame seeds, gave it a little spice, topped it with a fried egg, and gave us a side of soy sauce!

they had all of the "ingredients" so to speak.
1. they already had a 3d model of her (just touch it up for ultimate)
2. her expressions are literally just different eyes and mouths on her "face" area. so no need for complex facial animations.
3. no serious RED TAPE that she'd need to cross, since shes already Nintendo.
4. theres no need to add another animal crossing stage, especially since we got a NEW one for ultimate. (same goes for an assist trophy)
5. her move set can easily take from what villager has (frame data/ visual effects)
6. she didn't need a voice actor since she talks in a mish mash of noise (some characters need multiple languages!)
7. even her trailer must have been very easy to create due to animal crossing's style of cutscenes playing out pretty plainly.

I honestly think this was just a tiny fraction of what sakurai could do. like.. this was just a SIDE project.
so if this is sakurai when hes just on auto-pilot. just think of what he could do for Dixie Kong when he's serious!

Last edited:
Top Bottom