• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Alright lets play would you rather, DK edition.

Would you rather get a new DK game next year but it has NO Dixie or Kremlings OR would you rather get a new DK game with both Dixie and Kremlings but have to wait an extra 5 years (probably for Switch 2)?

No you cant choose both. Each game cancels the other out. So if you choose the one next year the one in 5 years wont exist and vice versa.
Gotta go with the latter, Dixie and the kremlings are vital parts of the series plus I'm a very patient person so I can wait which would be worth it if they are in the next game.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Ahh I see you guys didn't disappoint with the answers. Yes I would rather wait the long period of time if it guaranteed Dixie and Kremlings. I will be back with "would you rather" part 2 tomorrow. Though the question I have in mind will probably also be pretty unanimous.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
In the meantime, I'll make a different, more sadistic "would you rather".

Alright, would you rather the DKC series continue, but Nintendo does another reboot and only DK and Diddy Kong come back (the games themselves are still great, though, they don't New Super Mario Bros. it) and Dixie Kong never becomes being playable in Smash?

Or, would you rather the DKC series just dies, Tropical Freeze is retroactively the last game in the series, it NEVER comes back, BUT Smash immortalizes the series by including Dixie Kong as a semi-clone / unique fighter (whichever you prefer), keeping K. Rool, and adding a couple of new DK stages and a bunch of music from the whole series like DK 64 / DKC3 / Tropical Freeze, plus more remixes that aren't the opening theme / DK Island Swing? Cranky Kong becomes an Assist Trophy and emulates Resetti from Brawl by clouding the screen with "Back in MY day" text boxes, and Funky Kong becomes an Echo Fighter.

In one scenario, DKC lives on and remains fun, but never includes anyone other than who Nintendo already seems to think is important and Smash never has any motivation to add Dixie Kong as a result. In the other scenario, no more DKC games ever get made, but Smash keeps the spirit of the series alive with one last big sendoff.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I see Satan posts on SmashBoards.

I think it would suck if Nintendo deletes all the DK cast again, including Dixie.

So I'm gonna go with the latter option. Maybe because the DK series can continue on as something else, even if it's not Donkey Kong Country. And with Smash Bros. preserving its legacy, the most important bits will probably continue in people's minds and influence whatever later project.

And we BETTER get a unique Dixie if the DK series is gonna die.

And unique Cranky, unique Lanky, unique Funky. And unique every single member of Seashore War's Donkey Kong Racing Art. Xander Mobus vocal cords are gonna tire screaming out random DK characters joining the battle. "THIS GAME'S WINNER IS....DUMB DRUM!"

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Alright, would you rather the DKC series continue, but Nintendo does another reboot and only DK and Diddy Kong come back (the games themselves are still great, though, they don't New Super Mario Bros. it) and Dixie Kong never becomes being playable in Smash?

Or, would you rather the DKC series just dies, Tropical Freeze is retroactively the last game in the series, it NEVER comes back, BUT Smash immortalizes the series by including Dixie Kong as a semi-clone / unique fighter (whichever you prefer), keeping K. Rool, and adding a couple of new DK stages and a bunch of music from the whole series like DK 64 / DKC3 / Tropical Freeze, plus more remixes that aren't the opening theme / DK Island Swing? Cranky Kong becomes an Assist Trophy and emulates Resetti from Brawl by clouding the screen with "Back in MY day" text boxes, and Funky Kong becomes an Echo Fighter.

In one scenario, DKC lives on and remains fun, but never includes anyone other than who Nintendo already seems to think is important and Smash never has any motivation to add Dixie Kong as a result. In the other scenario, no more DKC games ever get made, but Smash keeps the spirit of the series alive with one last big sendoff.
Both of these sound like hell to be honest. But I find it really hard to believe that Donkey Kong would become Star Fox levels of stagnated yet somehow continue getting this caliber of games. You don't get to make levels like the ones in Tropical Freeze without creative leeway, and you can't do DK and Diddy forever before it becomes stale.

So I guess I'd go for the latter because I think the former would just end up being lose-lose.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

Isn't sad that the worst possible outcome of both options is the reality we are living?
I pick the second option because the DKC games will gradually become stale if it always the same bland vanilla "Donkey and Diddy travelling in DK island" setup. If I can't get more Kongs and many creative settings like Krocodile Isle or the Snowmads colonies. I would just let it rest.
The first New Super Mario Bros. for DS was actually very well liked when it was released. Even NSMB Wii was well received. It was when the obvious copypaste sequels released that people started to call them bland and stale. And I don't want to that to happen to DK's perfect record of platforming.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
But I find it really hard to believe that Donkey Kong would become Star Fox levels of stagnated yet somehow continue getting this caliber of games.
Edit: I'll add this post as well:

I pick the second option because the DKC games will gradually become stale if it always the same bland vanilla "Donkey and Diddy travelling in DK island" setup. If I can't get more Kongs and many creative settings like Krocodile Isle or the Snowmads colonies. I would just let it rest.
I have an easy solution: keep each subsequent game's focus on a new series of environments themed around different biomes. Tropical Freeze had amazing levels, and all they did was take the concept of "DK and friends go to a jungle where planes crashed, then Switzerland, then the Serengetti, then a cove, then a jungle with tons of fruit, and then back home" and ran with it. Keep in mind most of the levels had unique assets and gimmicks only found within those same levels. That takes a lot of work and makes a typical 4-5 year development cycle more than understandable when making it all polished and fun.

I can see another DKC game focused on, say, more urban environments, like as a call back to Big Ape City from Donkey Kong Land, maybe a new DK villain (remember, in this doomsday scenario, only DK and Diddy ever come back) could be a literal capitalist pig and use his shady political connections to steal DK Island's banana supply once more, forcing DK to take a ferry to the new setting and romp through a bunch of levels based on different city structures all over the world, the final world being based on New York City or San Francisco. Tons of unique level gimmicks like jumping on / riding different vehicles, swinging from suspension wires instead of vines, and recurring enemies that ride planes as a call back to King Kong that periodically harass DK.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Uhh more Donkey Kong games please, **** smash bros!
Well, to be fair, I think the option you are choosing is saying **** you to Dixie and K. Rool and Funky and Squitter and your god, Gnawty, and all the other characters not named DK and Diddy.

Granted, there could still be good games without those characters. There have been. But I don't have the heart to send them back to the dumpster from whence they came. Or from whence they still live for most of them.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Edit: I'll add this post as well:

I have an easy solution: keep each subsequent game's focus on a new series of environments themed around different biomes. Tropical Freeze had amazing levels, and all they did was take the concept of "DK and friends go to a jungle where planes crashed, then Switzerland, then the Serengetti, then a cove, then a jungle with tons of fruit, and then back home" and ran with it. Keep in mind most of the levels had unique assets and gimmicks only found within those same levels. That takes a lot of work and makes a typical 4-5 year development cycle more than understandable when making it all polished and fun.

I can see another DKC game focused on, say, more urban environments, like as a call back to Big Ape City from Donkey Kong Land, maybe a new DK villain (remember, in this doomsday scenario, only DK and Diddy ever come back) could be a literal capitalist pig and use his shady political connections to steal DK Island's banana supply once more, forcing DK to take a ferry to the new setting and romp through a bunch of levels based on different city structures all over the world, the final world being based on New York City or San Francisco. Tons of unique level gimmicks like jumping on / riding different vehicles, swinging from suspension wires instead of vines, and recurring enemies that ride planes as a call back to King Kong that periodically harass DK.
The sad thing is that all that potential would still feel stale if we always had the same two playable characters when the memories of the old cast still exist. Is like the DK cast getting Thanos snapped permantently. And I can't live with DK/Diddy only games knowing that Dixie, Funky, Cranky, Lanky, Tiny, Chunky and all the Animal Buddies and Kremlings used to exist.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
The sad thing is that all that potential would still feel stale if we always had the same two playable characters when the memories of the old cast still exist. Is like the DK cast getting Thanos snapped permantently. And I can't live with DK/Diddy only games knowing that Dixie, Funky, Cranky, Lanky, Tiny, Chunky and all the Animal Buddies and Kremlings used to exist.
I understand, just wanted to offer a personal explanation for why I think it's theoretically possible for DKC games to remain great even with the truncated cast.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Maybe its just because we're living in an era where media conglomerates drive existing franchises into the ground and revive old beloved series to squeeze one last dollar out of them, but I would rather DKC just end in this scenario. Tropical Freeze makes for a decent send-off, and having the series finally get the abundance of love it deserves in Smash feels like a good way to honor it.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman

I think it would suck if Nintendo deletes all the DK cast again, including Dixie.

So I'm gonna go with the latter option. Maybe because the DK series can continue on as something else, even if it's not Donkey Kong Country. And with Smash Bros. preserving its legacy, the most important bits will probably continue in people's minds and influence whatever later project.

And unique Cranky, unique Lanky, unique Funky. And unique every single member of Seashore War's Donkey Kong Racing Art. Xander Mobus vocal cords are gonna tire screaming out random DK characters joining the battle. "THIS GAME'S WINNER IS....DUMB DRUM!"
Dumb Drum actually takes up 5 slots. Just too big to fit in 1!

Strong DK

Smash Apprentice
Alright lets play would you rather, DK edition.

Would you rather get a new DK game next year but it has NO Dixie or Kremlings OR would you rather get a new DK game with both Dixie and Kremlings but have to wait an extra 5 years (probably for Switch 2)?

No you cant choose both. Each game cancels the other out. So if you choose the one next year the one in 5 years wont exist and vice versa.
The latter for sure. 5 more years for it would definitely be worth it

SuperNintendoChalmers

Banned via Warnings

You forgot to mention the real, one and only Rareware bear, no not that hokey bear with his smart alec bird:

And I would not accept him as a Banjo echo! #brashforsmash

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

Diddy is already my favourite Kong, was hugely relieved when DKCR was finally released. I choose the former, with all its glory. I played Tropical Freeze for the first time when it came for the Switch. But quickly thirsted for more. It was even the reason why I bought a Switch in the first place.

If K.Rool comes back to DKC, I can easily live without Dixie. In a way, it might give Diddy a bigger role in the franchise, like he used to have. Sorry but I'll be greedy, and take all the DKC games. Sure I'll miss Dixie, but if they can make the DKC games continue without her and her gimmicks, am fine with that too. We've had bigger losses than this honestly.

And who's to say we would only get platformer games out of this anyway? We could get another Jungle Beat, another DK64, Jungle Climber, any sort of Racing game, maybe a RPG, or whatever else out of this. I do think a lot can be achieved with DK and Diddy alone, they are by far the most well known and popular of the bunch. Do I WANT it ? No, but there's enough to work with them alone to create a good franchise around. Just compare the following games; DKC1, DK Jungle Climber, DK64 (had new unique Kong characters with only DK and Diddy) and DKC Returns. That's a lot of different sort of games , all offer a greatly different experience, and it only had DK and Diddy. Sure also K.Rool in DK64, but imagine he wasn't. And it's hypothetical anyway.

Besides am pretty sure that we're almost guaranteed that the next DK game will have the Tropical Freeze cast + K.Rool and Kremlings anyway.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
We really don't need more reboot hell. DKCR was nice for a one and done kind of thing, and it was done after several home console generations of no traditional 2D DKC platformers. Look what constant rebooting and going "back to the basics but with a shallow gimmick" did to Star Fox. We can thank that mentality for Krystal being dead, and I'm pretty sure the same fate would fall upon Dixie and the Kremlings if this were to happen to DK. Nintendo already treats DK and Diddy as the only important DK characters in literally every Mario spinoff, K Rool only got into Smash due to massive fan demand. We don't need to dig back into a hole after all the progress we just made.
K. Rool I REPEAT, is going to be in the next DKCR game. Because getting into Smash as a playable character is a hell of a lot harder for a character then it is trying to get back to their own series after MIA for so many years.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
K. Rool I REPEAT, is going to be in the next DKCR game. Because getting into Smash as a playable character is a hell of a lot harder for a character then it is trying to get back to their own series after MIA for so many years.
Yes true. But I am just distressed about how they turned around the "grand revival of Donkey Kong" to such a lukewarm enthusiasm to continue the franchise after this huge successful revival after lots of fan demand. I mean yeah Metroid Prime is also like, long overdue for a new game but at least they recently had the quite innovative remake of Samus Returns on 3DS. I wish we had something like that as well. Or how about just eShop extra levels styled around DKCR / DKC TF? Additional DLC of new levels and content for Tropical Freeze Switch? Just... Anything would've made this easier.

And YES I do fully realise I make this exact post with different word just about every page here.

Last edited:

Ed-boy

Smash Journeyman
If K.Rool comes back to DKC, I can easily live without Dixie. In a way, it might give Diddy a bigger role in the franchise, like he used to have. Sorry but I'll be greedy, and take all the DKC games. Sure I'll miss Dixie, but if they can make the DKC games continue without her and her gimmicks, am fine with that too. We've had bigger losses than this honestly.
Outta this house.jpg
I SHAN'T BE SWAYED BY YOUR FOUL SINS, LUCIFER!!!

I kid, of course. I'd go with the latter. As you said, other games with the DK name can still be made, just not Country,

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I mean you say that but look at Captain Falcon he hasn't been in a new game of his own for YEARS. Same with Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt Dog, Ness & Lucas. Also I guarantee we wont be seeing a new Kid Icarus anytime soon or Dark Samus in a new game ever again. Their are characters that live and die in Smash. Who's to say K.Rool wont be one of those characters?

Yes I know before anyone says "But Mother as a series is done and finished!" Nintendo could still remake the trilogy and it would be considered new and fresh but they wont. Which is weird considering we're living in the age of Nintendo constantly releasing remakes and ports..

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I mean you say that but look at Captain Falcon he hasn't been in a new game of his own for YEARS. Same with Ice Climbers, Duck Hunt Dog, Ness & Lucas. Also I guarantee we wont be seeing a new Kid Icarus anytime soon or Dark Samus in a new game ever again. Their are characters that live and die in Smash. Who's to say K.Rool wont be one of those characters?

Yes I know before anyone says "But Mother as a series is done and finished!" Nintendo could still remake the trilogy and it would be considered new and fresh but they wont. Which is weird considering we're living in the age of Nintendo constantly releasing remakes and ports..
No offense to any of those series as I like some of them, But Donkey Kong is a much bigger deal than any of those franchises, None of them have really reach the status or sales of DK for Nintendo to heavily invest in with the exception at times being Metroid.

- Ice Climbers and Duck Hunt were just one time games during the NES era.

- Earthbound while the series has been concluded, It was more of a "Cult Classic" series.

- Kid Icarus series has been dormant for a long time until Uprising, But it looks like Nintendo doesn't really have plans beyond the 3DS game, It might have just been a one off.

- F-Zero's biggest impact was during it's debut on the SNES as a launch title and hasn't had a entry since the Gamecube era, The series is more niche as Nintendo looks like they only want to invest in Mario Kart.

- Metroid is the biggest of the bunch, But unfortunately sales wise have been decent at best and has never really reached it's potential as a juggernaut franchise among gaming even though Nintendo has really tried at times with the Prime series. Though he's never really the final boss, Ridley takes priority as Metroid's main antagonist.

While nothing is guaranteed, Super Smash Bros Ultimate is a really big deal and very likely has put the spotlight back on King K. Rool and the Kremlings significance as main antagonist for future endeavors regarding the DK franchise.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
If I was in charge of Nintendo. The first thing I would do to retain the momentum of Tropical Freeze and capitalize on K. Rool's popularity. Would be a remake of the SNES Trilogy. Crash style.
It's cheap. It's easy to not screw up and you can ask any small dev team like Monster Games, or even Playtonic to do it while telling them to keep the original controls intact. I mean. Zelda gets this treatment when the next original game takes forever to come out. Throw one bone to DK once in your life Nintendo.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Throw one bone to DK once in your life Nintendo.
You and I as well as the rest of the users in this thread know that is just simply asking TOO much. It cant be done! Us DK fans are just mere peasants and annoyances to Nintendo. Why give DK a new game or remake when you can just throw DK and Diddy in whatever Mario spin-off Nintendo is releasing that week? Only Mario, Zelda, Kirby, Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, and Animal Crossing get main course buffet meals, DK only gets mere breadcrumbs served in a Dog Dish.

Like I said earlier Im shocked DK is even getting a spot at Super Nintendo World. If Super Nintendo World was built in the 90's I would be like "Yeah DK having his own section makes total sense!" but in 2019/2020 Im like "Weird Nintendo chose DK instead of a Fire Emblem, Xenoblade, or Kirby land instead..."

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
as much as i like a pity party, i choose to be optimistic for the future of the series. the tropical freeze port and mario & rabbids dlc kinda feels like they want to remind people that donkey kong has his own franchise, and maybe we'll be seeing more of him down the line. it reminds me a bit of the hiatus metroid had.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
How ironic that DK has had that iconic Up-B Spinning Kong move since Smash 64 and its become such a beloved staple in the series..... and yet the one who was responsible for actually having that move in the home DK games is still not in Smash after five games. Reminds me of how Ness and Lucas took a lot of their moves from Paula, Poo, and Kumatora.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
Donkey Kong seems to be doing pretty well as a franchise, especially with it's own mini section at the Nintendo Land Universal parks.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Difference between them and K. Rool is the Smash Ballot. They got in by normal means while K. Rool got in by sheer fan demand from a ton of votes in the Smash Ballot. The Smash Ballot greatly increased Nintendo's interest in K. Rool because if not, he wouldn't have gotten a slot in Ultimate and be almost everywhere in the menu screens. I'm telling you, he is here to stay.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I'm hearing the DK ride will indeed be at Universal Studios Japan by 2021, a year after Super Nintendo World opens. Before, it was rumored to be only at Orlando. This is exciting as it would suggest Nintendo is pushing DK a bit more than I had initially thought. While DK has been somewhat popular over in Japan, it isn't quite Kirby levels of popular over there so, hopefully, this will help DK reach those levels. Maybe even trounce the pink puffball. No offense, Kirby.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Alright my 2nd would you rather question.

Would you rather get a new DKC game but the soundtrack is entirely composed by Grant Kirkhope OR would you rather get a new peg swinging DK game (King of Swing/Jungle Climber) but the soundtrack is entirely done by David Wise and rivals Tropical Freeze's?

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
New DKC with Grant Kirkhope music please. No regrets. DK64's OST is awesome. The Rabbids DLC music is awesome (Dat DK Isle remix). Give me that and some top notch 2D gameplay and we are set.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
honestly i would buy either of those games in a heartbeat

i guess i'd go with "2D platformer with Kirkhope soundtrack" though, just because i think it would be a little more interesting

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Would you rather get a new DKC game but the soundtrack is entirely composed by Grant Kirkhope OR would you rather get a new peg swinging DK game (King of Swing/Jungle Climber) but the soundtrack is entirely done by David Wise and rivals Tropical Freeze's?
The first one obviously, what's wrong with Kirkhope?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

The latter, I think DK's potential with the peg-swinging games has yet to be fully tapped into, and I love a David Wise soundtrack.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
The first one obviously, what's wrong with Kirkhope?
Nothing Im one of DK64's biggest defenders when it comes to soundtrack. I think the soundtrack is really catchy and top notch but a LOT of people in this thread disagree and view the soundtrack as "not very DK like" and "Banjo leftovers"

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
As much as I'm curious what Wise's take on the DK64 soundtrack would have been, I think Kirkhope's soundtrack fits the style of game it is and has quite a few bops.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I'll take Grant Kirkhope DKC. His music tends to be more whimsical and fantasy-like but it is still good. He does like to rock and I'm sure he's got the versatility, plus since Wise is his bro he'll have some homages to the DKC sounds we adore.

Top Bottom