• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Looks like my prediction of the Terry direct I posted up above came true. I personally thought it was overly long and boring but one thing that stood out to me was this:

Sakurai literally told all the "But mah relevance!" people to STFU. I was so happy about that as a K.Rool fan. That salt tastes REAL good. While Dixie isnt "irrelevant" lets be honest Tropical Freeze is nearing 5 years old and with no new DK in sight anytime soon people may be shouting "irrelevant" through the rooftops again in a couple years. Good thing Sakurai laid the smackdown to that. Dixie's biggest issue is that she is a first party character in a dominated 3rd party DLC world.

Oh and hell yeah K.Rool finally got the buffs he has deserved for awhile now. Even though Im mostly over Ultimate, K.Rool getting his well earned buffs makes my flame reignited if only a little..

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Dixie Kong and Krystal should join their 3rd Party sisters in solidarity as they are all the main heroines of their series that got shafted for Smash.

They too know how it feels to be left behind by the boys. (Looking at you DK and Star Fox crews).

I'd like to think Krystal is in a similar situation to Mai in terms of sexualization, just for a certain other demographic (of course Krystal's still in the game because she's not as drastic), whereas Dixie and Chun-Li are similar in that both of their series got a newcomer in Ultimate's base roster that wasn't them.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I personally don't think that point applies to Dixie or K. Rool. Even with no new games, some characters appeared enough or made enough of an impact in the games or game they did appear in that they can still remain broadly recognizable among fans.

I think K. Rool and Dixie and many other DK characters are in that bucket.

Same goes for many one off Zelda characters.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I personally don't think that point applies to Dixie or K. Rool. Even with no new games, some characters appeared enough or made enough of an impact in the games or game they did appear in that they can still remain broadly recognizable among fans.

I think K. Rool and Dixie and many other DK characters are in that bucket.

Same goes for many one off Zelda characters.
It shouldn't apply to Dixie or Rool or some Zelda characters but then you have those people that constantly proclaim that the remaining 1st Parties are "nobodies" and "don't generate enough raw hype" to be worthy of DLC because they "wouldn't sell megahit gangbusters" and it annoys me to no end.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Some people like to use that Sakurai statement in defense of Mr. Game & Watch or R.O.B as an example, But the bar tends to be much lower for 1st Party Characters than 3rd Party Characters, If they were 3rd Party origin to begin with then I doubt they would have made it in.

So I'm not too worried about Dixie Kong seeing how she is a significant character from the main cast and from one of Nintendo's bigger and iconic franchises in Donkey Kong, I believe and hope eventually she will make it in some point.

If owned by Nintendo chances are even the smallest of series can get some type of recognition whether it's a sticker, music track or assist trophy as a consolation prize, But when it comes to 3rd Party Characters the bar tends to be much higher, I mean if we are judging based on "Star Power" alone one could argue that Bayonetta is probably the weakest from the 3rd Party roster of characters, But even she is more significant than lesser 1st Party Nintendo franchises and I would imagine she was the exception because Nintendo has been working closely with Platinum Games and they wanted to promote that character and series for future installments and broaden their own library of exclusives.

Bottom Line: Though Sakurai did say relevancy doesn't matter, I still believe that the character has to be signaficant enough in the 1st place to be considered as a fighter for Smash, King K. Rool and Banjo-Kazooie haven't been relevant in recent years, But that doesn't erase what they accomplished and represent as their track record shows that they were still significant characters and played a large role during their prime. It also helps that King K. Rool is 1st Party and Banjo-Kazooie despite being 3rd Party is pretty much an "Honorary" Nintendo character too and we can't forget overwhelming fan demand as well.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Dixie Kong and Krystal should join their 3rd Party sisters in solidarity as they are all the main heroines of their series that got shafted for Smash.

They too know how it feels to be left behind by the boys. (Looking at you DK and Star Fox crews).

I'd like to think Krystal is in a similar situation to Mai in terms of sexualization, just for a certain other demographic (of course Krystal's still in the game because she's not as drastic), whereas Dixie and Chun-Li are similar in that both of their series got a newcomer in Ultimate's base roster that wasn't them.

Well hey, at least Dixie, Krystal and Chun-Li are all technically still in the game in some form, with Krystal making a full blown physical appearance and not just as a PNG.

Mai didn't even get that.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Well hey, at least Dixie, Krystal and Chun-Li are all technically still in the game in some form, with Krystal making a full blown physical appearance and not just as a PNG.

Mai didn't even get that.
Well yes, I will concede that Dixie, Krystal, and Chun-Li got it slightly better than Mai in technical terms, and Krystal got it slightly better than the other two as well in having a 3D model and all. However, the point of the matter is that Assist Trophies are little more than laughing stocks in the public eye and are seen to be ridiculed in all the fan arts, with only the most popular ones like Waluigi and maybe Isaac and Shadow getting the light of day from the majority of the fanbase, and that most Assist Trophies and pretty much ALL spirits are pretty much invisible in the public eye.

Playability seems to be the Golden Medal, and like the Olympics, silver and bronze are really not that recognized at the end of the day. It would have been nice to see Dixie and at least some of the others playable.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Well yes, I will concede that Dixie, Krystal, and Chun-Li got it slightly better than Mai in technical terms, and Krystal got it slightly better than the other two as well in having a 3D model and all. However, the point of the matter is that Assist Trophies are little more than laughing stocks in the public eye and are seen to be ridiculed in all the fan arts, with only the most popular ones like Waluigi and maybe Isaac and Shadow getting the light of day from the majority of the fanbase, and that most Assist Trophies and pretty much ALL spirits are pretty much invisible in the public eye.

Playability seems to be the Golden Medal, and like the Olympics, silver and bronze are really not that recognized at the end of the day. It would have been nice to see Dixie and at least some of the others playable.
That point of view makes me glad that Dixie and Bandana Dee were saved from being mocked by the fanbase for being Assist Trophies.

And about Mai. If they wanted to censor her chest they would have done it. But probably SNK said no or Sakurai's team didn't want to show her that way.
But now we know that Smash is for good boys and girls. Everyone in this thread is a good boy or girl. Can we have Dixie please?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It shouldn't apply to Dixie or Rool or some Zelda characters but then you have those people that constantly proclaim that the remaining 1st Parties are "nobodies" and "don't generate enough raw hype" to be worthy of DLC because they "wouldn't sell megahit gangbusters" and it annoys me to no end.
It's this right here that sometimes makes me wish Smash Bros. roster just stayed as a Nintendo exclusive club. But again, if not for 3rd parties entering Smash, we wouldn't have Banjo & Kazooie in who I feel is Nintendo characters whether than Microsoft characters. And we wouldn't have such gaming legends in the games such as Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man. But honestly, I might on second thought if I could trade them in if I could obtain every Nintendo character I want in Smash.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
It's this right here that sometimes makes me wish Smash Bros. roster just stayed as a Nintendo exclusive club. But again, if not for 3rd parties entering Smash, we wouldn't have Banjo & Kazooie in who I feel is Nintendo characters whether than Microsoft characters. And we wouldn't have such gaming legends in the games such as Sonic, Pac-Man, and Mega Man. But honestly, I might on second thought if I could trade them in if I could obtain every Nintendo character I want in Smash.
I just wanted Dixie and Krystal, after that they can shove as many 3rd Parties in as they want, I feel like there are some candidates that do have a lot of affiliation with Nintendo, such as Phoenix Wright.

Since Krystal's an Assist Trophy and assuming those are still marks of death, my 2nd most wanted 1st Party has become either Impa or Rex & Pyra/Mythra.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I just wanted Dixie and Krystal, after that they can shove as many 3rd Parties in as they want, I feel like there are some left that do have a lot of affiliation with Nintendo, such as Phoenix Wright.

Since Krystal's an Assist Trophy and assuming those are still marks of death, my 2nd most wanted 1st Party has become either Impa or Rex & Pyra/Mythra.
Same here. If they could just give us Dixie Kong and Krystal, I would never ask for another Nintendo character for Smash ever again. From there on it can be 3rd party characters towards the end of time.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
There are many first parties that I personally want. That's the curse you get for playing too many Nintendo games for your whole life.

Dixie, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Rex, a non-Triforce Zelda character like Midna or Skull Kid...

But Dixie is special. She's the one character that I have wanted since Melee. Yes. Even over K. Rool. Because she doesn't get the recognition she deserves as a Nintendo character.
She always gets ignored for spin offs where Diddy becomes playable. Many people think she would be an echo when Diddy in Smash doesn't even feel like DKC1/2 Diddy at all, with his DK64 gadgets and a banana gimmick that IMO overcentralizes his gameplan.
Also. The amiibo. I have dozens of those but I still have that empty space with DK and Diddy.... waiting... if it never happens and that space remains empty. So be it.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I'm not a good boy or girl, can I still post in this thread? :p

I know people criticize the Paon era, and it's not completely unjustified, but that was a period of time that was generally pretty good about including Dixie in things. She was in two Donkey Kongas, both of the peg-swinging games, Diddy Kong Racing DS, Barrel Blast, and even into the Mario series with the two Baseball titles and Mario Hoops 3-on-3.

I really just want more Dixie Kong in the world, especially if she's playable. Smash is the gold standard for that, because its a very popular series that (generally) represents its characters very well with their movesets and animations. It's kinda iffy if she's ever gonna end up in Ultimate, but I still think there's a shot. And failing Smash, she's still definitely due for Mario Kart, or Party or Tennis or Golf.

Last edited:

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Regardless of who our favorite DK characters are and which ones should be in Smash in whatever order, we can all agree that there should have been at least 4 characters from the DK universe by now in the roster.

The quote that stands out to me from the presentation the other day is that “It’s more important that a character is fun to play, not just recognizable.”

That quote is the key silver lining for Dixie; an anthropomorphic chimp girl who is acrobatic, spins her hair and uses bubble gum sounds like one of the most fun characters to ever play as, at least on paper (the movesets created here displays that potential).

I am more hopeful for Dixie in Smash right now than I ever was.

At this point, what we really need right now is to find some kind of statement from Nintendo’s inner circle that is an affirmation of first party characters getting a chance at DLC. If that ever comes, then Dixie will certainly be one of the first considered for DLC, if not the first.

Even though Nintendo comes up with who could be in the roster, the Smash Ultimate creator ultimately gets the final say.

The team of developers have a good sense of gaming history (SNK had one of the more obscure gaming systems in comparison to Nintendo, but was still talked about in the presentation). Perhaps they’re currently looking into Rareware’s history with Nintendo.

The developers took a potted plant and made it into an interesting fighter.

Imagine what they can do with Dixie and her moveset.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Man, I'm going to be kind of ****** off if they're no Nintendo characters after the Season Pass. It would be a crime if Dixie Kong misses the boat in Ultimate.

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
I just recently bought and beat Tropical Freeze and it completely rekindled my love for the Donkey Kong series and Dixie. She’s definitely the best character in the game.

I’m all for supporting her inclusion in Smash. I already liked her to begin with, but now I really want to see her make the cut. I was really happy to see K. Rool finally get in. She’s the last missing piece of the puzzle. The DK series deserves at least another character. And Smash especially could use another female.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Since every DLC character has to have a borderline OP gimmicky moveset with some sort or menu or meter what would Dixie's be?

She would get a "hair meter" fill it up all the way and all her attacks get super armor and do 50% damage each. She also gets super speed and invincibility with a recovery that recovers anywhere (like Hero's Zoom).

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Man, I'm going to be kind of ****** off if they're no Nintendo characters after the Season Pass. It would be a crime if Dixie Kong misses the boat in Ultimate.
If there are Nintendo characters after the season pass Dixie better be the first one. I'll be even more pissed off if there are 1st Parties and Dixie isn't one of them.
My sentiments exactly. Heck, I still feel like either or Bandana Waddle Dee (preferably both) could have filled the spot Plant had as Smash Ultimate's free pre-order bonus character.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133

Now if everyone at Nintendo had the same love for K.Rool as well as all the other DK characters, Dixie included as Krysta maybe they would appear in more games and Mario spin-offs. Krysta made my night when I saw this put a huge ass grin on my face. Though Kit definitely seems like the type during the K.Rool speculation days going "Hes s0 uGlY!"

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Hey guys, here's a video from over four years ago where a guy makes his parents guess the names of Smash Bros characters!

Now why am I posting this here? Well, if you watch towards the very end, you'll see that the one character that isn't in Smash that he used was..... Dixie Kong! And this was FOUR YEARS AGO, during the Smash 4 era (you can tell by the artwork of the characters), and Dixie is still not in to this day. It's very clear that a lot of people were expecting her to be added anyday now for the past 10 years, and the fact that she's still not in is a tragedy.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

So a while ago Dukemon102 Dukemon102 made a post and a potential moveset for Dixie, so I took it upon myself to draw one of the moves from it. I like how it turned out; it looks like the arc in which she swings her hair is banana-shaped; that wasn't intentional but I'm not complaining! Hope everyone likes it, also feel free to put this on Twitter when y'all have time. Thanks!

Here's someone who actually made a unique move set for her, they also added a few more things like a detail of her classic mode, guidance and alts among other things.
WOW they even got the gyro-copter in there! That's excellent; I have that sketched out as a new Up B idea for her and I'm glad someone else is thinking about it too--especially for a Final Smash. Thank you for sharing; they even went in-depth with the Guidance/Snake codecs. I'll put a link to this in the OP shortly.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

So a while ago Dukemon102 Dukemon102 made a post and a potential moveset for Dixie, so I took it upon myself to draw one of the moves from it. I like how it turned out; it looks like the arc in which she swings her hair is banana-shaped; that wasn't intentional but I'm not complaining! Hope everyone likes it, also feel free to put this on Twitter when y'all have time. Thanks!

WOW they even got the gyro-copter in there! That's excellent; I have that sketched out as a new Up B idea for her and I'm glad someone else is thinking about it too--especially for a Final Smash. Thank you for sharing; they even went in-depth with the Guidance/Snake codecs. I'll put a link to this in the OP shortly.
Wow. I'm extremely glad and surprised that you made a draw using my moveset. I didn't think of the banana arc tho. That's a funny coincidence. Also I love your style. Dixie looks rad.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Good moveset my only problem is I dont want Dixies up taunt being "Juggling Diddy's balls" no thanks..
Yeah that's a taunt Diddy should have himself (though I like his current 3 taunts, maybe if there was 4 taunts that would be it for him) she should have a taunt of her blowing bubble gum like her idle animation from the SNES trilogy.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Yeah that's a taunt Diddy should have himself (though I like his current 3 taunts, maybe if there was 4 taunts that would be it for him) she should have a taunt of her blowing bubble gum like her idle animation from the SNES trilogy.
I wish we had 4 taunts. The directional pad has 4 directions, it would be neat to squeeze a 4th taunt by fixing the left and right directions on the d-pad to different taunts. For taunts that require the player facing a certain direction because they double as attacks or windboxes (like Luigi or Greninja), they could be relocated to up or down taunt.

I sure said "taunt" a lot.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
With all the Ultimate character mods that I've been looking at I'm surprised I haven't seen Dixie yet.

I know there were Dixie mods for Smash 4 and Project M, but for Ultimate, nothing.
I kinda assume it takes a while to get her ponytail to work on mods without causing issues. I don't have a lot of experience with 3D model editing/importing, but I've used the Dixie mod for PM before and know the way her hair is rigged causes issues with bone placement and hitboxes.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

That's super cool, I think I like your take on Dixie's bangs way better than her actual bangs. I think we'll post it on Monday maybe? More people seem to use Twitter during the weekdays.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I've been seeing fanmade friendships like this a lot.

Which makes me wonder, who would Dixie be friends with? I know some people have been saying that Dixie and Samus were Nintendo's two earliest heroines, so I think they'd get together well in Smash, with their blonde ponytails and all.

Anyone else?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I've been seeing fanmade friendships like this a lot.

Which makes me wonder, who would Dixie be friends with? I know some people have been saying that Dixie and Samus were Nintendo's two earliest heroines, so I think they'd get together well in Smash, with their blonde ponytails and all.

Anyone else?
I think Dixie and Inkling would probably at least share their tastes in music.

Top Bottom