• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Yeah, it's to the point where I wouldn't mind at all if, say, Toadette was revealed first, and Captain Toad was her alternate costume or Echo Fighter.

Toadette has accomplished something that Waluigi still hasn't, which is to become a regular recurring character in the main Mario series as well as the spin-offs. The closest we have for Waluigi is his clothes being a costume in Odyssey.
Waluigi is long overdue to get his chance. It's nice that Toadette went from a spinoff character to appearing in the main series games. Waluigi deserves better. He should appear in either the main Mario series or Wario Land games. That would be nice...

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I'm really curious as to what DKC: Tropical Freeze on Switch sales are like. The latest Nintendo fiscal report has released and I didnt see Tropical Freeze listed among the biggest sellers. Which sucks because NSMBU Deluxe is almost at 5 million and in the top 10 Switch software sales and that game is about as fun and as interesting as watching paint dry. Hell even Super Mario Maker 2 didnt sell as much as I personally thought it would have, it at least should've stomped over NSMBU Deluxe considering it has its own story mode with 100 times more creative and inventive level designs.

Maybe the lack of a new DK game announcement from Nintendo as well as the lack of DK merch in the Tokyo Store are justified. Maybe people dont care about DK anymore as a lot of us like to believe. Yes you could argue that "Tropical Freeze was just a port" but so is NSMBU and Mario Kart 8 and both are sitting pretty on the software sales charts. Yes they both have Mario in the title so every casual Nintendo fan were going to buy them. But man it sucks going from the 90's when DK use to stand shoulder to shoulder with Mario and Zelda and was considered one of Nintendo's "Big 3" to today when Nintendo and audiences view DK as nothing more than a C-tier franchise...

I've said it before and I'll say it again Nintendo has no one but themselves to blame for basically putting one of their biggest cash cow IP's on life support. They have mishandled the IP so badly over the years that Im honestly shocked why they are even bothering making a DK Land at Super Nintendo World at this point instead of just making a Zelda or Kirby land instead..
This is basically every other post I make about Donkey Kong online. What are they waiting for really..? They are downgrading DKC as a sort of 'Mario but with apes in the jungle' except way less love. I'm utterly dissatisfied and disappointed in this. K.Rool's return did nothing, Tropical Freeze Switch selling like hot cakes did nothing, DK references in Mario Oddysey did nothing, DK Adventure in Mario Vs Rabbids did nothing... Just what is this?! We should've gotten a 3DS game when it was still a thing, and a new Switch main title, together with either a spin off or remake of something awesome... But no! Just ... Wtf is this logic?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
If :ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: are any indication, appearing in a new game actually decreased Dixie's chances, since she doesn't have a desperate fanbase constantly screaming for her return to game scene.
True. But she is definitely more popular than Krystal or Conker at the moment and they're kind of dead Rare characters like K. Rool and Banjo & Kazooie was. I can say without a doubt Dixie is the next DKC/Rare character to make it into Super Smash Bros. because she is the most popular right now among the Rare characters and she's the most likely.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly, all I'm hoping for so far is that Diddy, and by a lesser extent K.Rool are gonna make it in the next Smash game if we get a great total cut of characters... I am just so unsure about the future of DKC. It sucks.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Honestly, all I'm hoping for so far is that Diddy, and by a lesser extent K.Rool are gonna make it in the next Smash game if we get a great total cut of characters... I am just so unsure about the future of DKC. It sucks.
Believe me Diddy and K. Rool are going to be in Smash 6 and are no way getting cut. The fan outcry for K. Rool's return from his Ballot results was too big for Nintendo to over look and they ain't cutting him or Diddy what so ever in the next Smash. Them cutting either of them would be like them cutting their foot off.

As for the future of the DKC franchise? I see a VERY bright future with K. Rool returning as the main antagonist. It's just right now Retro is too focus on the development of Metroid Prime Forever to worry about DKCR3.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Believe me Diddy and K. Rool are going to be in Smash 6 and are no way getting cut. The fan outcry for K. Rool's return from his Ballot results was too big for Nintendo to over look and they ain't cutting him or Diddy what so ever in the next Smash. Them cutting either of them would be like them cutting their foot off.

As for the future of the DKC franchise? I see a VERY bright future with K. Rool returning as the main antagonist. It's just right now Retro is too focus on the development of Metroid Prime Forever to worry about DKCR3.
Yes it's true that Retro might just make DKCR3 , one day. But by that time I might've grown some silver hairs on my back myself!

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Been playing LM3 (on floor 12 out of 15 right now) and I gotta say man how awesome it would be for Next Level to make a DKC or 3D DK game. DK's cast of characters would just "fit" within Next Levels animation and humor. We know Next Level has some sort of love for DK by adding him as a secret boss in Punch-Out!! and making Kritters the goalies in the Strikers series.

Or if Nintendo doesnt think Next Level could "handle" a mainline DK game at least let Next Level make a 3rd strikers game and put K.Rool, Dixie, Funky, and Cranky in it as playable characters..

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I saw a recent poll at Gamefaqs about which Nintendo character is most overdue to become a fighter in Smash. Dixie Kong is winning by a wide margin.

Here it is: https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78123833

The site has many users that are active daily over there and it’s a good sign that many understand the legacy Dixie has with Nintendo. Even people who aren’t huge fans of the DKC franchise agree.

Now is our chance; it’s time to be more vocal and persistent than ever. Trust me, it worked for supporters of Ridley, King K. Rool, and Banjo & Kazooie.

It will work for Dixie Kong. I envision her fighting alongside Diddy Kong and Donkey Kong as they have their long awaited rematch with King K. Rool.

Currently, there is a push on the boards for more female representation in the DLC. Let’s shift the attention to Dixie by bringing up first party female characters, then bringing up anthropomorphic female characters because there is a lack of them compared to male ones.

Remember fellas, the two key adjectives for our movement vocal and persistent!

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Hello Dixie fans! Just wanted to say SomeCallMeJohnny is currently doing a 25 hour DK charity stream for Childrens Hospital. If you like to watch a cool youtuber (and his friends) play every DK game from the arcade DK all the way to Tropical Freeze and support a good cause here's the link to the stream:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Hello Dixie fans! Just wanted to say SomeCallMeJohnny is currently doing a 25 hour DK charity stream for Childrens Hospital. If you like to watch a cool youtuber (and his friends) play every DK game from the arcade DK all the way to Tropical Freeze and support a good cause here's the link to the stream:

Some low life scumbag orchestrated a DDoS attack on the charity. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Fortunately, it has only been prosponed rather than cancelled, and they have plans to continue when things are back in order.

Last edited:

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
So with Doomguy and Geno next, with Ryu Hayabusa and Crash being very likely too, it seems we will only get third party characters for the rest of Smash Ultimates DLC.

I like these characters, dont get me wrong, but Dixie not in the roster still bothers me. (Also Xenoblade only 1 charater bothers me too but no Dixie is even worse...)

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
So with Doomguy and Geno next, with Ryu Hayabusa and Crash being very likely too, it seems we will only get third party characters for the rest of Smash Ultimates DLC.

I like these characters, dont get me wrong, but Dixie not in the roster still bothers me. (Also Xenoblade only 1 charater bothers me too but no Dixie is even worse...)
Unconfirmed until official announcement though I'm starting to feel it could be likely since the past few characters were leaked as well (seems like the devs are becoming more vulnerable twords them) but I'm still remaining sceptical.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Some low life scumbag orchestrated a DDoS attack on the charity. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Fortunately, it has only been prosponed rather than cancelled, and they have plans to continue when things are back in order.
That soured my mood for the whole weekend. Even Josh from Geek Critique (Who I think has the best reviews for the series except DKC3) was to going to play DKC2 for charity and all of that got lost.

About the Mallow / Doom monster leak. I think it's legit. But I'm sure one of them is a compensation reward. Probably the Doom one IMO. Because he has always felt like a bandwagon that started with the Switch port of Doom.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That soured my mood for the whole weekend. Even Josh from Geek Critique (Who I think has the best reviews for the series except DKC3) was to going to play DKC2 for charity and all of that got lost.

About the Mallow / Doom monster leak. I think it's legit. But I'm sure one of them is a compensation reward. Probably the Doom one IMO. Because he has always felt like a bandwagon that started with the Switch port of Doom.
If that leak is real, than I have a gut feeling Geno is in.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

I'm sorry, I don't watch out for leaks since most turn out to be hoaxes. What's going on exactly? I'm out of the loop.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
We have a clear pic of Mallow and Cacodemon's Hat Mii costumes. And clear video footage of them with Ken, which has his damage output adjusted.

About if it is modding or not. I'm going to quote the Geno thread on that it's not possible to mod Mii Costumes into the game. Even less for them to look so clean and fluid like in the footage. So there it is.

I'm a big Mario RPG fan so I'm happy that best boy Mallow is getting recognition. Also, that could mean Spirits = Death is now invalid. Good for Dixie (And Kiddy I guess).

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
if its true its true but im not putting stock into any leak until i know for sure.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Here's some new concept art of the DK portion of Super Nintendo World:

Obviously its based off of Retro's new set of games BUT the minecart ride looks awesome and goes throughout the park, Funky's fly n buy will probably be the gift shop hopefully with exclusive DK merch (hopefully with more characters than just DK and Diddy...) Also theirs a pirate ship in the middle it doesn't look like Fredricks and the Tikis didnt have a ship. Is their a slimmer of hope it could be Gangplank Galleon? Doubt it since Nintendo doesnt care about K.Rool or the Kremlings much but maybe..

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Sadly, at least in the sails, you can see it's the Tiki pirate ships. That's a Tiki logo. There were some pirate ship levels in DKCR, if you remember. Pretty boneheaded thing to do IMO. Tikis are nothing characters and nobody thinks of them as pirates.

Meanwhile you have a gold belly loveable CGI crocodile sitting there, waiting to be used more. Maybe he will be a meet and greet character.

I think I see a DX barrel in the concept art. So maybe we can buy our own Dixie.

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Sadly, at least in the sails, you can see it's the Tiki pirate ships. That's a Tiki logo. There were some pirate ship levels in DKCR, if you remember. Pretty boneheaded thing to do IMO. Tikis are nothing characters and nobody thinks of them as pirates.

Meanwhile you have a gold belly loveable CGI crocodile sitting there, waiting to be used more. Maybe he will be a meet and greet character.

I think I see a DX barrel in the concept art. So maybe we can buy our own Dixie.
Damn I forgot about that. *sigh* Sometimes I wonder why we fought so hard for K.Rool to come back. He gets in smash but hes a bottom tier joke of a character, theirs no new DK game in sight and even then hes not guarenteed to come back, and now Super Nintendo World a MAJOR theme park has no mention of K.Rool or Kremlings..

DAMN why did Rare have to leave Nintendo this **** sucks..the Tikis are HORRIBLE! Honestly while obviously im still excited for SNW the lack of K.Rool and Kremlings and probably other animal buddies besides Rambi really kills a lot of hype for me. If they REALLY dont want Kremlings at least use the Snowmads over the Tikis...Snowmads were actually pretty cool (no pun intended).

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think K. Rool will be fine in the long run. But maybe there were some logistical/time issues with implementing K. Rool and the Kremlings, at least from what we can see so far, in the theme park.

A K. Rool person in a costume seems like it could be doable.

Also, there are probably other things we haven't seen yet. Remember, there's an Ellie the Elephant shrine for some reason.

But yeah, making the ship Tiki themed of all things is pretty boneheaded. If you think pirates, you think Kremlings or even Snowmads. I don't think people even think of the Tikis, period. But whatever.

As long as all park guests are tested for salmonella by Dr. Squitter at the entrance, I'm OK.

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
I’m tired of this.

At this point, I want Miyamoto and the Nintendo higher ups to patch things up with the Rare crew.

Go and have a conference meeting already, and have a nice dinner at a fancy restaurant. I would gladly pay for it all!!

K. Rool is the definitive villain of the DK franchise. He is the Bowser to Donkey Kong’s Mario.

Regardless of the franchise’s current state right now, it is ultimately the impact and legacy of the classic DKC games that will always stand out the most to fans along with Tropical Freeze being up there too. DKC Returns is still a solid game on its own but it didn’t have the impact on fans like the others did.

It’s still a nice looking site that will come out great though.

But...

I’m now wondering how much the Rareware era of DK will even get referenced, it seems like Nintendo will always overlook that era of DK.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Nintendo doesn't ever reference the Donkey Kong franchise outside of DKC1 and Returns. The other games are rare strange things that barely exist to them. Shotouts to Grant Kirkhope for giving us that DK Isle remix tho. Every other composer would have remixed Simian Segue.

At least the Minecart looks cool. But making the whole thing based on Returns is a letdown, it feels outdated when Tropical Freeze has so many amazing and unique enviroments. Maybe for the next time.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Can’t wait t’ill they reveal Dixie Kong as the first post FP character on Wednesday!

Edit: Never mind, he said there are no announcements for unrevealed fighters.
Really makes me curious then how the hell Sakurai is gonna fill 45 minutes of just Terry..we now know their are no new characters and Sakurai confirmed their are no more new modes coming as Home-Run was the last but knowing Sakurai he will fill up the presentation with a lot of filler.

- Gives history of Fatal Fury and King of Fighters. (7 minutes)
- Gives history of Terry Bogard (5 minutes)
- Tells story about how King of Fighters inspired Smash Bros (3 minutes)
- Goes over moveset in great detail cutting between in game footage and footage from previous SNK games (15 minutes)
- Goes over taunts and animations (5 minutes)
- Plays a couple matches (6 minutes)
- Shows off upcoming amiibo line (2 minutes)
- Ends with either a tease at when the next character will be revealed or show some SNK tie-in game.

Yeah I think Im gonna pass on this stream. I will be working when its happening anyway.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Damn I forgot about that. *sigh* Sometimes I wonder why we fought so hard for K.Rool to come back. He gets in smash but hes a bottom tier joke of a character, theirs no new DK game in sight and even then hes not guarenteed to come back, and now Super Nintendo World a MAJOR theme park has no mention of K.Rool or Kremlings..

DAMN why did Rare have to leave Nintendo this **** sucks..the Tikis are HORRIBLE! Honestly while obviously im still excited for SNW the lack of K.Rool and Kremlings and probably other animal buddies besides Rambi really kills a lot of hype for me. If they REALLY dont want Kremlings at least use the Snowmads over the Tikis...Snowmads were actually pretty cool (no pun intended).
Dude if Nintendo didn't see any profit in bringing back K. Rool, then Sakurai wouldn't have put him in Smash after the fans HEAVILY requested him in the Smash Ballot. Nintendo could have ignored bringing back K. Rool, but they didn't so they see he can be very profitable for them. He definitely will be the main antagonist aga in the next DKCR game whenever that comes out. Probably after Metroid Prime Forever.

A K. Rool person in a costume seems like it could be doable.
Yep:

I thought this K. Rool costume in this music video looked pretty good.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
No new characters on Wednesday. But it's still 45 minutes. We could see a ton of content being shown. Maybe some returning or new DLC stages, like Returns' Jungle Hijinx and (*deep breath*) Grassland Groove.

For the future. I don't expect Dixie to be revealed soon until they finally show that 1st parties can be DLC after all, for now, it's all third party (Well, almost, one leaked character is in the same category as Banjo IMO). Specially now that many people were unable to debunk the leak.... and the leak also became more undebunkable after finding jiggle physics in there.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
We got 500 followers on the twitter. Then some troll, most likely a Swanky Kong fan, unfollowed us and put us back at 499.

Don't worry, we're sending Kiddy after them.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Double posting
Back at 500 again! For now....

Kiddy must have given that Swanky Kong fan a real shellacking. He's one tough grifter.

Hmm....

For the record, I'm not saying Kiddy should be anything more than what Morgana and Slime are for Dixie, just part of taunts and all. Definitely NOT on the level of Kazooie where he's included in the name or actively tagging alongside her on the field outside of maybe some special moves. And god keep him off the official poster.

TBH this is mostly a joke anyway, I'd be perfectly happy if he wasn't there at all.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Seeing as Donkey and Diddy are their own fighters. This could be the chance to embrace the duo system aspect of the Donkey Kong games that they dropped in Brawl.
But I guess many people would complain because they hate Kiddy for some reason...

I have never hated him, I don't know what he did to become the Jar Jar Binks of the franchise. He looks hideous and cries... I guess...?

Kold Pizza

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, those game marketers at the time really got their humble pie for underestimating Dixie Kong.

For fans pushing for more female DLC presentation, we should definitely bring this up to them; how Dixie broke down that barrier when there were doubts about her at first by some game marketers, and then how she proved them otherwise.

Back in the fourth generation era of gaming, it wasn’t just Samus that broke down that barrier and made female protagonists taken more seriously, it was also Dixie and her role and impact on the market was huge.

Top Bottom