• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
SeashoreWar SeashoreWar another great set! I'm feeling Chunky's new outfit and I like Kritter's spikes; personally I like the modern Kritter's design as they have a more threatening build, and the spikes from the classic design brings out that menacing vibe more. I'll give you a shout-out soon, but ATM I'm gonna give mikethemike more airtime.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Question: since the Switch is becoming more and more of a JRPG console than previous Nintendo consoles, how would we feel about a DKC RPG? And what sort of style would you want it to be?

Personally with the whole buddy system introduced in the Returns games, I could see this work quite well as a sort of mix between the Mario & Luigi RPGs of old, SMRPG and Paper Mario. Think a action orientated RPG with lots of platform elements (albeit a little slower paced) would work wonders. And would be able to make use of the huge beloved cast of characters as well.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
ive been wanting a donkey kong rpg for so long! the atmosphere the series has would be perfect for it, and who could say no to a david wise rpg soundtrack?

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
I think someone should submit the Dixie Kong fan reveal trailer by Mike Essa to GoNintendo and similar sites. I know that's what was done for things like the K. Rool thank you letter to Sakurai to give it more exposure. The news sites could post it on their site and publicize Dixie's video more. It could also be posted on reddit/r/Smash Bros.

I am very busy right now but maybe someone else has some time? Something very short and to the point.

If not, I will get to it in a bit.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I think someone should submit the Dixie Kong fan reveal trailer by Mike Essa to GoNintendo and similar sites. I know that's what was done for things like the K. Rool thank you letter to Sakurai to give it more exposure. The news sites could post it on their site and publicize Dixie's video more. It could also be posted on reddit/r/Smash Bros.

I am very busy right now but maybe someone else has some time? Something very short and to the point.

If not, I will get to it in a bit.
I suggested reddit to mikethemike and he said he'll do it when he can. I would post it there but I think it's best for him to post it.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Question: since the Switch is becoming more and more of a JRPG console than previous Nintendo consoles, how would we feel about a DKC RPG? And what sort of style would you want it to be?

Personally with the whole buddy system introduced in the Returns games, I could see this work quite well as a sort of mix between the Mario & Luigi RPGs of old, SMRPG and Paper Mario. Think a action orientated RPG with lots of platform elements (albeit a little slower paced) would work wonders. And would be able to make use of the huge beloved cast of characters as well.
I would like a DKC RPG game to cert of work like the Mario RPG games in some ways. It would be cool to use the animal buddies to get around obstacles and areas you couldn't get to before obtaining them. Plus it would be so worth it just to hear all the nagging dialogue from Cranky.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey so a while ago I shared this vid (or at least I think I did) that highlighted some design aspects of Tropical Freeze:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0UgL8bmmRA
And it turns out the guy has made a Part 2!
It's really refreshing to get a brief but in-depth rundown of Retro's level design. Yeah there's less levels than Returns but each stage has unique elements found only in that particular level, as well as being longer. It really feels like a fleshed out world with its own livelihoods unlike a lot of platformers, with randomly placed objects floating in midair. Each level tells a story, and the extensive music tracks makes me wanna replay almost any level. Scorch N Torch, Jammin' Jams, Deep Keep... man the level of detail was remarkable.

Godzillathewonderdog Godzillathewonderdog
Hey, we appreciate the thought but I've had this vid highlighted in the thread's title for the past 4 days. Thanks for linking it directly though.

Last edited:

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Hey so a while ago I shared this vid (or at least I think I did) that highlighted some design aspects of Tropical Freeze:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0UgL8bmmRA
And it turns out the guy has made a Part 2!
It's really refreshing to get a brief but in-depth rundown of Retro's level design. Yeah there's less levels than Returns but each stage has unique elements found only in that particular level, as well as being longer. It really feels like a fleshed out world with its own livelihoods unlike a lot of platformers, with randomly placed objects floating in midair. Each level tells a story, and the extensive music tracks makes me wanna replay almost any level. Scorch N Torch, Jammin' Jams, Deep Keep... man the level of detail was remarkable.

Godzillathewonderdog Godzillathewonderdog
Hey, we appreciate the thought but I've had this vid highlighted in the thread's title for the past 4 days. Thanks for linking it directly though.
I did not even notice the title, woopsie. Yeah, I didn’t see a direct link to the vid in this thread, so I just assumed it had yet to be shared here.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
honestly dixie's all i really want; no offense to other rare characters but i'm very much a dixie kong enthusiast more than anything

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I would definitely have gone after Krystal as well, if she wasn't condemned to Assist Trophy purgatory in the same camp as Waluigi and Isaac. I think one of the reasons I latched onto Dixie so much was that she's one of my few wanted 1st Parties that wasn't sentenced to flat out deconfirmation in terms of ATs.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I would definitely have gone after Krystal as well, if she wasn't condemned to Assist Trophy purgatory in the same camp as Waluigi and Isaac. I think one of the reasons I latched onto Dixie so much was that she's one of my few wanted 1st Parties that wasn't sentenced to flat out deconfirmation in terms of ATs.
Right now I see Dixie Kong as a more realistic possibility, but Krystal being a Assist hasn't stopped me from supporting her in this game.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
All I want from Rare is Dixie. I considered Krystal back in the brawl days but not anymore. It's cool seeing her as an assist trophy. Conker.....I dunno. Pass. He's AT status in my book as well. After Dixie, I'm fully supporting Jill Valentine/Leon.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think if they do Assist Trophy promotions, they would probably do Waluigi first because of all the outcry around him. If he gets announced I could see support for Krystal going up considerably, and she'd probably be the next Rare character people flock to after Dixie.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
As much as I wanted Krystal I think the ship has unfortunately sailed on her. K.Rool, Dixie, and Krystal were my most wanted for Ultimate/Smash 4 DLC. I voted on all 3 extensively on the ballot.

I even think Dixie's chances are slim not only because I dont see any 1st parties coming as DLC and even if they do I doubt Nintendo digs back into the DK well. Since Nintendo has never had the best track record of supporting Rare's DK characters or even respecting the DK franchise that much post Rare. But obviously I still support Dixie.

Like I said previously Im basically over Ultimate I enjoyed most of my 285 hours of it but Switch has WAYYYY too many other games to play to worry about a game that goes out of its way to piss me off from the lackluster IMO DLC character choices, to the whack online not only in terms of connection issues which result in unnecessary temp bans regardless if it was your fault or not, endless lag, extremely limited online modes/options, the worst ranking system in the history of videogames (GSP), limited single player content besides World of ****e, and characters literally designed to piss you off in a competitive atmosphere.

So even if Dixie comes she cant fix all my issues with Ultimate. Honestly like I said before Im only in it for the amiibo and awesome fanart/Dixie recognition at this point. If Dixie gets added I will have absolutely no need to use this site ever again. Of course their are other characters I would love to see added (specifically for the amiibo) but Im not gonna be on here campaigning for anyone anymore.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly I let Krystal sail ever since Brawl, and how they choose Wolf instead. Sakurai: Krystal? Who?- said enough. She was now included as Assist Trophy, ok that's great, but she hasn't appeared in any new Star Fox game since Command. Which is bad news. Otherwise she would probably be my choice, because I loved SF Adventures.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I'm really curious as to what DKC: Tropical Freeze on Switch sales are like. The latest Nintendo fiscal report has released and I didnt see Tropical Freeze listed among the biggest sellers. Which sucks because NSMBU Deluxe is almost at 5 million and in the top 10 Switch software sales and that game is about as fun and as interesting as watching paint dry. Hell even Super Mario Maker 2 didnt sell as much as I personally thought it would have, it at least should've stomped over NSMBU Deluxe considering it has its own story mode with 100 times more creative and inventive level designs.

Maybe the lack of a new DK game announcement from Nintendo as well as the lack of DK merch in the Tokyo Store are justified. Maybe people dont care about DK anymore as a lot of us like to believe. Yes you could argue that "Tropical Freeze was just a port" but so is NSMBU and Mario Kart 8 and both are sitting pretty on the software sales charts. Yes they both have Mario in the title so every casual Nintendo fan were going to buy them. But man it sucks going from the 90's when DK use to stand shoulder to shoulder with Mario and Zelda and was considered one of Nintendo's "Big 3" to today when Nintendo and audiences view DK as nothing more than a C-tier franchise...

I've said it before and I'll say it again Nintendo has no one but themselves to blame for basically putting one of their biggest cash cow IP's on life support. They have mishandled the IP so badly over the years that Im honestly shocked why they are even bothering making a DK Land at Super Nintendo World at this point instead of just making a Zelda or Kirby land instead..

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey if anyone knows of any fan polls out there please share them, it's a good way to keep Dixie active in the fandom at large. People sleep on her as a character and she gets overlooked; she's a straight up underdog but we can build awareness and hype.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Hey if anyone knows of any fan polls out there please share them, it's a good way to keep Dixie active in the fandom at large. People sleep on her as a character and she gets overlooked; she's a straight up underdog but we can build awareness and hype.
Not much, but GameFAQs is having a poll for the most overdue Nintendo rep. Let's make sure Dixie slaughters the competition.

There are some people trash talking Dixie in the comments as well, as is tradition on GameFAQs. Let's make them eat those words.

Last edited:

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
I have a good feeling that Dixie will make it in at some point during the next rounds of DLC. Might not be part of a fighter pass but I could definitely see her being sold separately similar to Piranha Plant. With the recent coding found on the Smash website by ResetEra, it suggests there might be a solo character before the second pass starts up. Would be a good time to release her in my eyes. Plus she almost made it into Brawl while having pretty consistent requests since then so I wouldn’t Right her off quite yet. The newest DK game also does nothing but help boosts her chances.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The newest DK game also does nothing but help boosts her chances.
If :ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: are any indication, appearing in a new game actually decreased Dixie's chances, since she doesn't have a desperate fanbase constantly screaming for her return to game scene.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Not much, but GameFAQs is having a poll for the most overdue Nintendo rep. Let's make sure Dixie slaughters the competition.

There are some people trash talking Dixie in the comments as well, as is tradition on GameFAQs. Let's make them eat those words.
Thanks for sharing this. So far she seems to be in the lead and I'm content. As for the haters, I'll make an account and jump in if it keeps up. Overall, there's a few negative posts about her but it's still teetering.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I voted Dixie. To be honest, I hesitated a bit between her and Toad (Waluigi is also overdue in my eyes, but he comes third). The fact that Mario has already a really big cast (and a lot of stages and representation all in all) made the difference, even though I would actually be more pleased to play as Toad since I'm way more familiar with him (I never played DKC2 & 3 - I know, I have to!)

Last edited:

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I'm glad that Dixie is dominating that poll, and that the top 3 overall are Dixie, Toad, and Waluigi. I don't voice this very often but I do like Toad very much, even if they aren't as major a player in the Mario series as Dixie is (i.e. Toads, while present in most Mario games, are not always playable, whereas in every DK game that Dixie has appeared in, she's playable). One day I hope to see Captain Toad at least, since Toad and another Toad are Peach and Daisy's counters.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'm glad that Dixie is dominating that poll, and that the top 3 overall are Dixie, Toad, and Waluigi. I don't voice this very often but I do like Toad very much, even if they aren't as major a player in the Mario series as Dixie is (i.e. Toads, while present in most Mario games, are not always playable, whereas in every DK game that Dixie has appeared in, she's playable). One day I hope to see Captain Toad at least, since Toad and another Toad are Peach and Daisy's counters.
I hope Toad comes with Toadette as well, whether as an echo, alt, or Ice Climbers duo. Considering they've been promoting her like wildfire with New Super Mario Bros Deluxe and Super Mario Maker 2, I'm pretty sure one of the three will happen when Toad gets in.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
I hope Toad comes with Toadette as well, whether as an echo, alt, or Ice Climbers duo. Considering they've been promoting her like wildfire with New Super Mario Bros Deluxe and Super Mario Maker 2, I'm pretty sure one of the three will happen when Toad gets in.
Yeah, it's to the point where I wouldn't mind at all if, say, Toadette was revealed first, and Captain Toad was her alternate costume or Echo Fighter.

Toadette has accomplished something that Waluigi still hasn't, which is to become a regular recurring character in the main Mario series as well as the spin-offs. The closest we have for Waluigi is his clothes being a costume in Odyssey.

ArchRanger

Smash Apprentice
If :ultkrool::ultbanjokazooie: are any indication, appearing in a new game actually decreased Dixie's chances, since she doesn't have a desperate fanbase constantly screaming for her return to game scene.
That argument can go both ways since we can look at Isabelle or Inklings that both had recent additions in their franchises but still made it in despite not many people constantly asking for them. I’d like to believe that Sakurai and Sora Ltd still has Dixie in the back of their mind due to her being so close to making it into SSBB.

Last edited:
Top Bottom