• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Btw: Sakurai's latest Column he stated that Nintendo has chosen the 2nd set of DLC fighters as well. Take that along with the "continuing to add new worlds to Smash" info as you will...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I don't get why you have so much confidence in Playtonic. Wasn't Yooka-Laylee mediocre at best? I like how the Impossible Lair looks but it's way too early to judge.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I have no shame in admitting that Yooka Laylee is one of my favorite games on the PS4 among the likes of Shovel Knight, Doom (2016), Astro Bot, and Bloodborne. I think it says something about me that I prefer a more old school gaming experience than the likes of the cinematic story-heavy games like Uncharted 4, the new God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, and basically every other AAA game out there. Not that I have a problem with those games, I just don't have fun playing them like I do a game that basically plays like Banjo, warts and all.

I have an undying love for 3D platformers and the Banjo collectathon style that it makes me sad I feel as though I'm the only one. BK, Tooie, DK64, and Yooka are all very fun games to me. There is just something rewarding about exploring and finding a mission to complete which are usually varied, and not a lot of open-world games with generic skill trees and boring stories can replicate that kind of feeling.

Even if I hated Yooka with a passion, using their first game as proof they are incapable of doing anything well is just needless internet hate-mongering. There are many developers out there who don't hit home runs with their first game, but when they finally do, we all benefit from it. Speaking generally, game development has to be one of the bravest professions you can get into. It requires a dedication of hard work and a thick skin for a community that would rather see you fail than succeed. I can't imagine the mental turmoil developers have to go through to keep their sanity in check. Not to say all gamers' criticisms are of ill intent, but you have to admit having a sea of negativity swarming around you, constructive or not, would be incredibly jarring.

This is why I respect Playtonic. They haven't let all that negativity get to them. Not once have they attacked the community, but rather admitted they could do better. Just go on their twitter account, and see the immense fun they still have with their fans even with all the bashing they take continuously from sites like here, Resetera, 4chan, Reddit, etc. This is why I have faith in this team. Most of them are responsible for a lot of the games I grew up with, and if we can get games like those then I'm going to ride this train to the very end.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
[edit: never mind i just dont care anymore]

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I have no shame in admitting that Yooka Laylee is one of my favorite games on the PS4 among the likes Shovel Knight, Doom (2016), Astro Bot, and Bloodborne. I think it says something about me that I prefer a more old school gaming experience than the likes of the cinematic story-heavy games like Uncharted 4, the new God of War, Red Dead Redemption 2, and basically every other AAA game out there. Not that I have a problem with those games, I just don't have fun playing them like I do a game that basically plays like Banjo, warts and all.

I have an undying love for 3D platformers and the Banjo collectathon style that it makes me sad I feel as though I'm the only one. BK, Tooie, DK64, and Yooka are all very fun games to me. There is just something rewarding about exploring and finding a mission to complete which are usually varied, and not a lot of open-world games with generic skill trees and boring stories can replicate that kind of feeling.

Even if I hated Yooka with a passion, using their first game as proof they are incapable of doing anything well is just needless internet hate-mongering. There are many developers out there who don't hit home runs with their first game, but when they finally do, we all benefit from it. Speaking generally, game development has to be one of the bravest professions you can get into. It requires a dedication of hard work and a thick skin from a community that would rather see you fail than succeed. I can't imagine the mental turmoil developers have to go through to keep their sanity in check. Not to say all gamers' criticisms are of ill intent, but you have to admit having a sea of negativity swarming around you, constructive or not, would be incredibly jarring.

This is why I respect Playtonic. They haven't let all that negativity get to them. Not once have they attacked the community, but rather admitted they could do better. Just go on their twitter account, and see the immense fun they still have with their fans even with all the bashing they take continuously from sites like here, Resetera, 4chan, Reddit, etc. This is why I have faith in this team. Most of them are responsible for a lot of the games I grew up with, and if we can get games like those then I'm going to ride this train to the very end.
I didn't mean it that way, I just meant that it's weird to want them to take on the job when so far they haven't shown themselves to be capable of delivering. Let them find their footing first, by themselves.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Guys...I don’t think it’s happening

This might e pointing at its all 3rd party for the wave 2 and possibly 3

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Man sometimes I wish people would stop beating around the bush and just ask Sakurai "Will all the DLC be from 3rd party franchises, will any 1st party characters make it?" How hard is that to do?

Remember during the Brawl/Smash 4 era where people would ask Sakurai about specific characters like Ridley for instance. I wonder why press/journalists are afraid to ask those type of questions again.

I just want to know if Im gonna get ANY 1st party characters. Dont wont to be dragged along just to end up disappointed again. Either tell me straight up "No 1st parties" so I can move on from Smash or "Yes their will be a mixture of both types of characters" so I can continue to cling onto a tiny bit of hope.

paperosbronzo90

Smash Cadet
I just want to know if Im gonna get ANY 1st party characters. Dont wont to be dragged along just to end up disappointed again. Either tell me straight up "No 1st parties" so I can move on from Smash.
This! I'm just tired to wait for the announcement of another X 3rd party character I've no connection with.
There are a lot of 1st party characters that will really complete the roster but they're still out of the game. I wonder who we will get in the next pass of DLC.

ze9

Smash Ace
Man sometimes I wish people would stop beating around the bush and just ask Sakurai "Will all the DLC be from 3rd party franchises, will any 1st party characters make it?" How hard is that to do?

Remember during the Brawl/Smash 4 era where people would ask Sakurai about specific characters like Ridley for instance. I wonder why press/journalists are afraid to ask those type of questions again.

I just want to know if Im gonna get ANY 1st party characters. Dont wont to be dragged along just to end up disappointed again. Either tell me straight up "No 1st parties" so I can move on from Smash or "Yes their will be a mixture of both types of characters" so I can continue to cling onto a tiny bit of hope.
The full translation seems a lot less drastic about it. 3rd party characters will probably be the main focus again, but who knows, maybe some 1st party ones will slip through the cracks. It sounds like the DLC will go on for a long time.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I didn't mean it that way, I just meant that it's weird to want them to take on the job when so far they haven't shown themselves to be capable of delivering. Let them find their footing first, by themselves.
If I were to move my unbias love for Yooka Laylee aside, then I think Impossible Lair will be that game considering the love its been getting from Pax even from people who hate the first one.

The fact they haven't said anything about it tells me they are leaving the door open. Sakurai and team are going to be working on this game for a long time it seems, and it would be weird for them not to include a first-party character or two perhaps for promotional reasons. Dixie would be a great choice once they announce Dixie's Double Trouble 2 for example. ;)

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
If I were to move my unbias love for Yooka Laylee aside, then I think Impossible Lair will be that game considering the love its been getting from Pax even from people who hate the first one.

The fact they haven't said anything about it tells me they are leaving the door open. Sakurai and team are going to be working on this game for a long time it seems, and it would be weird for them not to include a first-party character or two perhaps for promotional reasons. Dixie would be a great choice once they announce Dixie's Double Trouble 2 for example. ;)
I agree! I thought the art design seemed way too cluttered in the reveal trailer, but if they can fix that and the level design delivers, I think they could have something special on their hands. Movement looked very fluid at the very least.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Justin Little Justin Little the Ratchet and Clank PS4 game may be right up your alley. Obviously it has its own spin and identity, but that series is the most successful Banjo-Kazooie inspired franchise of them all, which includes Jak & Daxter, Yooka-Laylee and of course, Banjo-Kazooie.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987

Guys...I don’t think it’s happening

This might e pointing at its all 3rd party for the wave 2 and possibly 3
I need to vent.

I miss when Smash Bros. was about Nintendo all-stars. Guest stars were nice, specially when they are from an IP closely related to Nintendo (In fact, the only third party I'm supporting is almost Nintendo exclusive) but now they are starting to make the majority of the roster and some of them don't even mean anything to Nintendo at all. Personally the reveals of Joker, Bayonetta, Cloud and Terry did nothing for me, it was like "Huh? Well, fine, I like some of their games" but with Terry, the 3rd party tendency is just starting to wear off for me.
I feel like they could have been in a better position to do this if so many series like DK, Kirby and Zelda hadn't gotten the shaft in Smash 4 in favor of so many Fire Emblem characters. I guess we can all just hope that the 6th DLC character is Rex (Because if they decide to make a 1st party character I'm 99% sure is going to be Rex). That opens the floodgates for the old Smash Bros. that I love.

End of vent.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Honestly, Dixie is really all I “need”, in terms of 1st Parties (though I also really really want Rex & Pyra/Mythra and Impa and they would be incredibly nice as well), assuming Assist Trophies are deconfirmed. After that, they can go all out on all the 3rd Parties they want (though I do have preferences in that department as well).

I would honestly be even more disappointed if we did get 1st Parties and none of them were Dixie then if we got none at all.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
honestly i just want more characters from games i've played

i realize that's a very subjective point of view but i just realized today that Banjo-Kazooie is literally the first new franchise introduced through DLC that i actually have some connection with and i want more fanservice that i'm actually able to appreciate.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I don't get why you have so much confidence in Playtonic. Wasn't Yooka-Laylee mediocre at best? I like how the Impossible Lair looks but it's way too early to judge.
I can see why some people are skeptical of Playtonic Games seeing how Yooka-Laylee is seen as "Average", But it seems like going 3D with their 1st project was probably being too ambitious, Going 2D this time around should be easier and while yes it's too early to tell, But reports so far are saying positive/good things about the game and are constantly comparing it to the Donkey Kong Country series mainly Tropical Freeze, I also feel like their quality and output is gonna improve over time once they keep getting more experience running their own studio and mentoring some of their younger talent.

I keep pushing for Playtonic Games because I absolutely want Donkey Kong to have a dedicated studio just like Nintendo's other big franchises and I don't see Nintendo having Retro Studios tied down to 1 series, But constantly juggling different ones at a time that is unless they expand. If Nintendo is gonna have Donkey Kong stay dormant while Retro Studios works on Metroid I would rather have them give another shot to the original DKC team that made the brand what it is today since they constantly show that they are passionate about the series and I'm sure they would absolutely jump on the oppurtunity to work on Donkey Kong again.

I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record, But after Retro Studios, I truly believe they are the next best team for the job.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774

i realize that's a very subjective point of view but i just realized today that Banjo-Kazooie is literally the first new franchise introduced through DLC that i actually have some connection with and i want more fanservice that i'm actually able to appreciate.
This honestly. Though I've said I wouldn't complain since Banjo's reveal about additional 3rd party newcomers, I honestly can't help myself of disliking the direction it's going right now. Smash used to be a celebration of Nintendo's biggest and a few odd classics, a giant cross over opening me up to the many worlds of Nintendo. I just don't have this curiosity anymore about these 3rd party additions. Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Bayonetta are excluded here because I feel they fit. The upcoming DLC characters probably won't fit in as much.

If people say adding first party newcomers is scratching down the barrel in terms of content, I can't see how third party characters wouldn't do the same at this point. I can't think of 6 third party characters that would be a natural fit for Smash, unless they add like a second Sonic character or something... Which is weird that I feel like I want that, because I dislike Sonic the character and the franchise honestly.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I need to vent.

I miss when Smash Bros. was about Nintendo all-stars. Guest stars were nice, specially when they are from an IP closely related to Nintendo (In fact, the only third party I'm supporting is almost Nintendo exclusive) but now they are starting to make the majority of the roster and some of them don't even mean anything to Nintendo at all. Personally the reveals of Joker, Bayonetta, Cloud and Terry did nothing for me, it was like "Huh? Well, fine, I like some of their games" but with Terry, the 3rd party tendency is just starting to wear off for me.
I feel like they could have been in a better position to do this if so many series like DK, Kirby and Zelda hadn't gotten the shaft in Smash 4 in favor of so many Fire Emblem characters. I guess we can all just hope that the 6th DLC character is Rex (Because if they decide to make a 1st party character I'm 99% sure is going to be Rex). That opens the floodgates for the old Smash Bros. that I love.

End of vent.
I think it's just as likely we could get Elma because of there being no Xenoblade X music in the game.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

On the flip side, I played Persona and Dragon Quest for the first time because of their inclusions in Smash. (They had both been series I'd heard vaguely of before, Mario Sports Mix and SMT X FE being the "gateways" to them, but having characters in Smash pushed me to finally try the actual games out, and I loved both of them).

I don't mind new characters if I can actually get into them, tbh. I just wish Dixie (and a couple others like Isaac, Krystal and Impa) were included among these 3rd Parties.

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
I think it's just as likely we could get Elma because of there being no Xenoblade X music in the game.
Not really. I'm just applying a pattern here with the DLC.

Sakurai says he loved Persona 5 and the menus were inspired by it.
Guess who's in Smash now.

Sakurai says he was a competitive Street Fighter 2 player.
Guess who was the first 3rd party DLC ever and where most of its content comes from.

Sakurai says he liked King of Fighters and Smash Bros. was made because he felt bad that a guy with a girlfriend that just wanted to play the game got rekt hard by him.
Guess who was announced a few days ago.

Sakurai says he enjoys Xenoblade Chronicles 2 inmensely. Made a Mii costume as a consolation prize because it came out too late. But now...
*insert shocked Pikachu face*

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
If Rex and Dixie Kong ever get in, both of their trailers should feature them beating up a Mii Fighter wearing their costume the same way Roy's Smash 4 DLC trailer featured him beating up the Koopaling Roy.

Now that I think about it, a Mii Fighter wearing Dixie's hat would be the perfect "Fake-Out" character for her trailer in the same vein as King Dedede and Duck Hunt's roles in K. Rool and Banjo's trailers.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
Okay, I have a controversial question for you guys.

What color should Dixie's guitar be in Smash?

https://www.strawpoll.me/18631386

Vote your conscience and settle this issue once and for all.

I picked Blue because I think it stands out more. Pink is perhaps a little too samey.

Pink and Blue could be fun but could also be very ugly.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Not really. I'm just applying a pattern here with the DLC.

Sakurai says he loved Persona 5 and the menus were inspired by it.
Guess who's in Smash now.

Sakurai says he was a competitive Street Fighter 2 player.
Guess who was the first 3rd party DLC ever and where most of its content comes from.

Sakurai says he liked King of Fighters and Smash Bros. was made because he felt bad that a guy with a girlfriend that just wanted to play the game got rekt hard by him.
Guess who was announced a few days ago.

Sakurai says he enjoys Xenoblade Chronicles 2 inmensely. Made a Mii costume as a consolation prize because it came out too late. But now...
*insert shocked Pikachu face*
That doesn't necessarily mean Rex & Pyra are coming first. We don't know Sakurai's view on Xenoblade Chronicles X is and nether Elma or Rex & Pyra probably ain't on his priority list right now.

If Rex and Dixie Kong ever get in, both of their trailers should feature them beating up a Mii Fighter wearing their costume the same way Roy's Smash 4 DLC trailer featured him beating up the Koopaling Roy.

Now that I think about it, a Mii Fighter wearing Dixie's hat would be the perfect "Fake-Out" character for her trailer in the same vein as King Dedede and Duck Hunt's roles in K. Rool and Banjo's trailers.
Once in awhile I play a match as K. Rool to beat up Mii K. Rool. :chuckle:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
That doesn't necessarily mean Rex & Pyra are coming first. We don't know Sakurai's view on Xenoblade Chronicles X is and nether Elma or Rex & Pyra probably ain't on his priority list right now.

Once in awhile I play a match as K. Rool to beat up Mii K. Rool. :chuckle:
Well. Whoever ends up being the first character after the pass I hope it's first party, so we can break this curse of a Nintendo All Stars Game getting only non-Nintendo characters from now on. Even better if (s)he is a spirit or an assist trophy.

I picked Blue because I think it stands out more. Pink is perhaps a little too samey.

I think they would go with yellow for being the most recent color in the ending of Tropical Freeze (Which convinced me Diddy is a musical genius, he can sing with a boombox, play a guitar and bongos?).
But that could also mean no knee pads.
I really hope that they could bring the knee pads back. She looked more complete with them

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
To bring it back to a new DK game. I would love a spin-off rhythm game. No Im not talking Konga (get that trash outta here) I would love a platforming rhythm game. But MarioManiac you ask, we already got that game with Jungle Beat dont you remember?

Why yes but I would love a full game with levels designed like DKCR's "music madness" or Tropical Freeze's "Bopopolis" or those countless Mario 3D World/Galaxy 2 levels with the same gimmick where you have to platform to the beat of the music. The enviorment changes along with the music. In my mind every stage would have a different classic DKC track remixed.

I want David Wise to team up with the Cuphead composer (Kristofer Maddigan) to make the music for the game. The game would ooze hot Saxual Jazz all over the place.

I'm thinking this game could have about 35 levels will be a budget title for about $40. You can play as the following Kongs Donkey, Diddy, Dixie, and Funky.

Basically this is the "Cadance of Hyrule" for the DK franchise.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
You're right, actually. My question was ignorant and I've brought shame to our Dixie household.

Dixie's guitar isn't just pink, it's actually mostly yellow in TF. I think I just remembred it as "looking like Dixie", which I guess is true.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Before I tackle Donkey Kong 64 I decided to beat Diddy Kong Racing this week, While I played multiplayer at a cousins house growing up I have never beat it myself.

I'm playing as Banjo and I'm on Wizpig (Final Boss) and man is that one cheap bullsh*t boss, I can't believe they actually expect kids to try to beat this, I know you have to use the boost pads to your advantage ,But it seems like no matter how well I time it it only works 30% - 50% of the time they should have least allowed weapons in this race, But I have been at it for like 2 hours and came close a few times ,But always slip up at the end because of the physics sometimes at times.

Sorry just had to vent for a bit.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Wizpig on foot is very hard until you learn certain trick to always get the green boost.
If it works only a few times for you. Then you are doing something wrong.

As you approach a boost pad, take your finger off the A button, and then just press the button again (don't hold it down, just tap it) as you cross the pad. The flames of the car will be green instead of pink, and you'll get an extra boost. If you're holding down the A button at this point, then the boost will fade. If you lay off the A button until the flames go, then it will last slightly longer.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny

Blue is my favorite color, but the TF design looks more unique. If they had the blue from the old guitar with the new guitar's curvy design I'd love it.

R O F L

Smash Ace

If they're recreating the victory anim from DKC2, then it'll be blue, for sure.

For any other reason, I still think it'll be blue.
The guitar in Tropical Freeze is incredibly obscure, only appearing in cut-scenes. While in DKC2, there's potential you see it at the end of every level, which is why Dixie is associated with the guitar in the first place.
While the color of the guitar doesn't really matter at all, i'm fairly certain Dixie would have the blue guitar just because that's how everyone remembers it.

What we really need to worry about is if Dixie would actually have the guitar at all.

ze9

Smash Ace
I don't know about the color, but I know that Dixie's victory animations should all involve her guitar, with her playing her own victory theme. And the victory theme should be DKC2's end of a level jingle.

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord
If they're recreating the victory anim from DKC2, then it'll be blue, for sure.

For any other reason, I still think it'll be blue.
The guitar in Tropical Freeze is incredibly obscure, only appearing in cut-scenes. While in DKC2, there's potential you see it at the end of every level, which is why Dixie is associated with the guitar in the first place.
While the color of the guitar doesn't really matter at all, i'm fairly certain Dixie would have the blue guitar just because that's how everyone remembers it.

What we really need to worry about is if Dixie would actually have the guitar at all.
My friend, I don't mean to start a Dixie Kong accessory civil war, but you sound a little bit too pessimistic about Dixie's guitar, even her TF guitar, for someone who recommended "Dixie's camera" as an attack.

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
Blue is my favorite color, but the TF design looks more unique. If they had the blue from the old guitar with the new guitar's curvy design I'd love it.
Absolutely this.

Also Victory Themes:

DK - Much better remix of Bonus Room clear
Diddy - Level clear beatbox
Dixie - Level clear guitar
K. Rool - What he has now
Cranky - Stage Start music from the arcade game
Funky - Funky's Flights

Lanky - DK Rap

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I don't know about the color, but I know that Dixie's victory animations should all involve her guitar, with her playing her own victory theme. And the victory theme should be DKC2's end of a level jingle.
Absolutely agreed. Man she really deserves to be there alongside everyone else.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Wizpig on foot is very hard until you learn certain trick to always get the green boost.
If it works only a few times for you. Then you are doing something wrong.

As you approach a boost pad, take your finger off the A button, and then just press the button again (don't hold it down, just tap it) as you cross the pad. The flames of the car will be green instead of pink, and you'll get an extra boost. If you're holding down the A button at this point, then the boost will fade. If you lay off the A button until the flames go, then it will last slightly longer.
Yeah I'm aware of the boost pad trick, But I guess I just have to work on my timing more as I can only get right half of the time at best, I'm gonna see if I can beat the the rest of the game today because I really want to start Donkey Kong 64 tomorrow, Thanks for the advice though.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
honestly i kinda thought K. Rool' victory theme should have been the Bonus Lose theme from DKC

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
After listening to Ridley's victory theme I was almost 100% sure K. Rool would get an evil version of DK's theme. But K. Rool getting Gangplank as his victory theme was a pleasant surprise.
If Dixie gets in. She will probably get the same (dissapointing IMO, the 64 version was the best) victory theme of DK and Diddy.
You don't get multiple victory themes for the heroes unless you are Fire Emblem.

But Funky tho. I really, really wanted him as an echo fighter. I'm still hoping for a possible echo pack. Funky with a Surfboard Up B but no super armor would be a blessing. Because I always SD with DK :sadeyes: (Also that would make people stop thinking of Dixie as an echo).

Spatman

Smash Ace
this makes me sad about the fact diddy doesn't have any winning animation with his... ehm sorry, I don't know how it's called in english, nor his own very catchy theme from dkc

Top Bottom