• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
I don’t think it’s milking if they make
1 DKC
1 spin off
and maybe 1 other title

that’ll keep the ip active and fresh on casuals’ minds too. Also that art Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 posted is so beautiful ❤

Quillion

Smash Hero
I guess I don't understand the definition of milking then. I certainly couldn't keep up with the amount of Assassin's Creeds and CoDs that were being released yearly. No, RARE didn't milk DK as Nintendo did with Mario, but they still pumped out them out more than any of their other IPs. I'm not sure what I'm talking about anymore. I recommended Playtonic to fill in a gap and it became a discussion about milking and cheapening, lol.
You called our current situation a "drought". I'd hardly call one mainline game per generation (yes the Wii U and Switch are two halves of one generation) a drought.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
It is about to be 6 years since Tropical Freeze if I'm not mistaken. I would certainly call this a drought. An unfortunate one, at that.

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
No we're definitely in a drought compared to how many DK games released in the past mainline or spin-off. Or how series like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Kirby, and hell even Xenoblade have had multiple titles released within the past couple years and many of which already have multiple games on Switch alone.

Also if you want to say the 3DS, Wii U, and Switch are all part of "1 generation" than that makes the DK series at an EVEN worse postion. 2 ports and 1 new game in 2014. Is pretty terrible compared to other franchises..

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
this is yet another problem that having more dkc spinoffs would solve

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I don't know, I feel like this would also further erode the brand's identity.

Remember how the post-Rare, pre-Retro era of DK consisted of nothing but spinoffs? (With the lone exception of DK Jungle Beat, which had gimmick bongo controls and none of Rare's characters present)

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
Well, I think they view the Switch port as the DK game for this generation, the same way they do for Mario Kart, being that they’re selling both for full price.
Once again that sucks ass cause 3DS got nothing but a Returns port. So if the Switch gets nothing more than a Tropical Freeze port Im gonna be really upset we had to go two extremely successful console lifecycles with nothing but a single port.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Once again that sucks *** cause 3DS got nothing but a Returns port. So if the Switch gets nothing more than a Tropical Freeze port Im gonna be really upset we had to go two extremely successful console lifecycles with nothing but a single port.
I attribute this partly to how poorly the Wii U sold, not just for DK, but a lot of the ports like Mario Kart, for a large audience who never owned a Wii U, they probably didn’t get a chance to play the original. Of course this kinda screws over the people who did, but again, DK isn’t the only one affected by this.

Justin Little

Smash Ace
I really hope they are not treating this port as "the" DK for Switch. Something like Mario Kart 8 is a game that you and your friends can stick with for good while until the next generation whereas Tropical Freeze is a shorter gaming experience. And it is not like they added new worlds or levels to TF, just Funky.

DK needs its own 3D sub-series, IMO. It would be good way to introduce new players who aren't interested in the 2D DK and it could help fill in the gaps till the next DKC. A spin-off starring Diddy and/or Dixie would an awesome extra.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Jungle Beat and the PAON games sold terribly. Meanwhile the GBA ports sold pretty well. I think the fans made pretty clear what they like and what they don't care about.
Nintendo in the 2000s realized that so they asked Retro to make a new true entry.
I doubt we will see a DK spin off unrelated to Mario ever again.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
^oh yeah guess thats why no one liked diddy kong racing then :p

the paon games came out at a time where mainline DKC games like what fans were used to weren't getting made. having one or two mainline dkcs a generation and filling in some of the empty space with spinoffs is perfectly fine imo.

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman
DK getting only a port for this gen would be horrible, and insufficient. It’s one of Ninty’s leading franchises so I hope it gets more than just TF port.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I really hope they are not treating this port as "the" DK for Switch. Something like Mario Kart 8 is a game that you and your friends can stick with for good while until the next generation whereas Tropical Freeze is a shorter gaming experience. And it is not like they added new worlds or levels to TF, just Funky.
Thats my biggest problem. The port didnt add anything new/signifcant other than an easy mode for a game IMO that was already made more easy than its predecessor. At least the 3DS port of Returns added 8 new levels.

While I would still like a new DK game of some sort regardless I would've toughened it out going another console generation without a new DK if the Tropical Freeze port added a new world and a secret K.Rool boss fight or something. But no we literally got the bare minimum. Which makes absolutely no sense to me considering Retro hasnt made a game since Tropical Freeze in late 2013..It was pure cash grab laziness pure and simple.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Thats my biggest problem. The port didnt add anything new/signifcant other than an easy mode for a game IMO that was already made more easy than its predecessor. At least the 3DS port of Returns added 8 new levels.

While I would still like a new DK game of some sort regardless I would've toughened it out going another console generation without a new DK if the Tropical Freeze port added a new world and a secret K.Rool boss fight or something. But no we literally got the bare minimum. Which makes absolutely no sense to me considering Retro hasnt made a game since Tropical Freeze in late 2013..It was pure cash grab laziness pure and simple.
The TF port wasn't made for double dippers, it was for new players. If you just wanted TF for cheap, you should have bought it for Wii U.

Anyway, I find it so aggravating that people want DK to be milked and franchised to death instead of being a special small series. I know you guys just want what you don't have. Meanwhile Assassin's Creed fans are fine with the series finally slowing down as of now.

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
The TF port wasn't made for double dippers, it was for new players. If you just wanted TF for cheap, you should have bought it for Wii U.

Anyway, I find it so aggravating that people want DK to be milked and franchised to death instead of being a special small series. I know you guys just want what you don't have. Meanwhile Assassin's Creed fans are fine with the series finally slowing down as of now.
I did buy it for Wii U and then bought it again for Switch. Nintendo SHOULD be making it for both double dippers AND new players. Tired of these bull**** excuses towards Nintendo. Look at Mario Kart 8 they added new characters and a brand new battle mode for double dippers. Look at Hyrule Warriors they added all the 3DS exclusive content for people who only had the Wii U version. Pokken Tournament added the 5 arcade exclusive characters for Switch and DLC. Captain Toad added brand new levels as well as DLC so both newcomers and double dippers got something new. Tropical Freeze a redundant easy mode character...so nothing for double dippers.

Also I like how you convieniently left out Returns 3D out of your argument just to prove your "point" because Returns 3D shows how you can add new content for double dippers. Hell even though the GBA DKC's are the lesser versions even they added more content than Tropical Freeze on Switch did..

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Assassin's Creed fans aren't waiting 6 years for a new game and aren't in the dark like we DK fans are. I'm fine with waiting, but not for this long. I don't understand what is so aggravating to see fans want more games from a franchise they love especially to a series that don't get a lot of games in the first place.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Assassin's Creed fans aren't waiting 6 years for a new game and aren't in the dark like we DK fans are. I'm fine with waiting, but not for this long. I don't understand what is so aggravating to see fans want more games from a franchise they love especially to a series that don't get a lot of games in the first place.
As an Assassin's Creed fan, believe me when I tell you that it's better to wait for a great product than the alternative.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
Why do some people think Donkey Kong's only options are being milked or being in a drought?

Why can't there be a middle ground of consistent/steady quality releases?

DK should definitely not be milked, But at the same time we sure as hell don't have to settle on being in a drought, Especially for a franchise and character that is as significant as Donkey Kong, Hell it's because of Donkey Kong arcade (1981) Nintendo is where and who they are today.

I think most DK fans will pleased if we can get a Country series game every 3-4 years or a 3D Platformer and Country game each console generation. Spinoffs can come out once maybe twice seeing how DK benefits from regularly appearing in Mario spinoffs to help fill in that gap, But DK spinoffs can come out in a smaller capacity as long as they are significant and good, While the Paon era did a nice job of respecting Rare's era of DK lore in the late 2000's, A lot of those games were mediocre and forgettable even their most significant title in Barrel Blast, I will trade all of Paon's output for 1 quality spinoff on par of Diddy Kong Racing or the canceled Donkey Kong Racing,

I'll take quality over quantity anytime and anyday.

Last edited:

Justin Little

Smash Ace
Yeah, I rather the series be like Zelda's healthy and steady stream of games rather than the Assassin's Creed model or the state we are in right now.

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
^oh yeah guess thats why no one liked diddy kong racing then :p

the paon games came out at a time where mainline DKC games like what fans were used to weren't getting made. having one or two mainline dkcs a generation and filling in some of the empty b with spinoffs is perfectly fine imo.
Diddy Kong Racing is not really a Donkey Kong game. If it was, Nintendo would own all the characters included in the game instead of just Diddy and Krunch (And Dixie and Tiny in the DS version). It's more like a Rare racing IP that had Diddy as the main star to sell the game. DK's popularity was extremely high at the time so Diddy was really well known. And the game being excellent (Better than Mario Kart 64 and Crash Team Racing IMO) was what helped to sell all those copies.
PAON games were really not good and Jungle Beat probably flopped because it wasn't a platformer and heavily relied on the expensive bongos. And we haven't had a DK spin off ever since Barrel Blast. So I doubt we will ever get Spin Offs again unless DK gets a dedicated successful developer like Kirby or Fire Emblem that wants to mix things up. And... they probably need to make a mainline game before a spin off. Because the Federation Force effect is a thing that happened. But I doubt this fandom would get THAT angry.

Last edited:

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
I think right now is the perfect time for Nintendo to revisit the concept of Donkey Kong Racing.

While I do think Nintendo is perfectly fine with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe for another generation and even though it's probably the best entry in the series, We are already at 5 years with the same Kart game since Wii U that's starting to somewhat feel like it overstayed it's welcome. But Nintendo's marketing pitches all Wii U ports as new experiences to casuals and from a business perspective I can't say I blame them, Nintendo very likely won't come out with a new Mario Kart until next generation, So even though it's a long shot I would love to see a DK racing game to tide us over until Mario Kart 9.

Side Note: I would also love to see Banjo-Kazooie as a guest character as a throwback to Diddy Kong Racing.

Last edited:

Akg0001

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Akin01
The more I look at Smash Ultimate roster, the more Im sad Dixie is not there

This roster is sooooo ****ing beautiful! Almost perfect... Just missing the last Nintendo All-Star: Dixie!

I take her even as echo (Different up-B though). Just let me see her beautiful face on this beautiful roster Sakurai!!!

Mariomaniac45213

Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
At this point Im honestly only in it for the amiibo. Smash Ultimate has run its course for me. I've put 200 hours plus. K.Rool is bottom tier trash and I dont see him getting any buffs due to the casual crowd complaining about how "OP" he was at launch. None of the DLC characters I have given a crap about and their are too many characters on the roster designed to piss you off in competitive play. Pikachu, Hero, Arsene, Ness, Yoshi, Pac-Man, Snake, Palutena, Young Link. All of these characters as a K.Rool and Ridley main feel like trying to climb a mountain with 2 anchors attatched to your legs while having a broken arm.

I just simply dont have fun in Smash anymore. So if Dixie is added cool I'll definitely check her out but not to the extent I would have, had she been a main roster character or if the fighters pass wasnt a 3rd party character circle jerk. Im honestly only in it for the amiibo and Dixie is the only reason Im still on this site to be honest because I love talking with fellow Dixie as well DK series lovers.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
At this point Im honestly only in it for the amiibo. Smash Ultimate has run its course for me. I've put 200 hours plus. K.Rool is bottom tier trash and I dont see him getting any buffs due to the casual crowd complaining about how "OP" he was at launch. None of the DLC characters I have given a crap about and their are too many characters on the roster designed to piss you off in competitive play. Pikachu, Hero, Arsene, Ness, Yoshi, Pac-Man, Snake, Palutena, Young Link. All of these characters as a K.Rool and Ridley main feel like trying to climb a mountain with 2 anchors attatched to your legs while having a broken arm.

I just simply dont have fun in Smash anymore. So if Dixie is added cool I'll definitely check her out but not to the extent I would have, had she been a main roster character or if the fighters pass wasnt a 3rd party character circle jerk. Im honestly only in it for the amiibo and Dixie is the only reason Im still on this site to be honest because I love talking with fellow Dixie as well DK series lovers.
i kinda feel you. i'm not actively playing ultimate nearly as much anymore except for about the week and a half after a new character drops. my biggest motivating factor for getting dixie in smash right now is the popularity boost resulting in a tidal wave of fanart.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
You know, seeing how DK has traditionally been low tier and K. Rool is low tier currently, let’s hope Dixie falls with Diddy in being high tier rather than the former two. I’m almost certain that’ll be the case given she’s a lot more similar to Diddy in terms of frame and weight than the other two.

Last edited:

zipzapsparkle

Smash Journeyman

Sorry to hear you’re not enjoying it as much, I hope they do both add Dixie and buff K. Rool.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
You know, seeing how DK has traditionally been low tier and K. Rool is low tier currently, let’s hope Dixie falls with Diddy in being high tier rather than the former two. I’m almost certain that’ll be the case given she’s a lot more similar to Diddy in terms of frame and weight than the other two.
Not that I care too much about tiers but she could a really good fighter of her own caliber with her ponytail which can provide her a good amount of range with her attacks plus good aerial maneuver which is another trait of her own that could make her decent competitively.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I have such an issue with their Mario Kart picks throughout the series. It is an opportunity to help promote characters from their established universes in order to bring more fans and attention to them. Help give them more exposure so we don't have to keep hearing 'Them? No, irrelevant!' Keep them in the spotlight as to not fall into the background. How about they add K Rool, Dixie, Mario RPG characters like Geno or Fawful, someone from Warioware like Mona or Ashley? Or keep popular ones like Diddy and Waluigi?

But no, let's add new babies, random NPCs from two missions, non-Mario universe characters and metal recolors of chatacters already on the roster 3 times.

Tour added babies before Luigi. LUIGI. Are they insane!?
I agree, If i made Mario Kart 10, (9th one is Tour.) here's what my roster would be: (As well the DLC)
(New feature for Mario Kart 10 is the Drill which was cut from 8, the 2 DLC packs has 4 characters from said series.)
Veterans
1. Mario
2. Luigi
3. Peach
4. Daisy
5. Rosalina
6. Pauline
7. Yoshi
8. Birdo
9. Toad
10. Toadette
11. Baby Mario
12. Baby Luigi
13. Baby Peach
14. Donkey Kong
15. Diddy Kong
16. Funky Kong
17. Wario
18. Waluigi
19. Bowser
20. Bowser Jr.
21. Larry
22. Mortan
23. Wendy
24. Iggy
25. Roy
26. Lemmy
27. Ludwig
28. Koopa Troopa
29. Paratroopa
30. Dry Bones
31. Dry Bowser
32. King Boo
33. Petey Piranha
34. Wiggler
35. R.O.B
36. Link
37. Villager
38. Isabelle
39. Inklings (Male Inkling is a palette swap.)
40. Mii
-------

Newcomers
41. Poochy
42. Dixie Kong
43. King K. Rool
44. Goomba
45. Boo
46. Chimp
47. Kamek
48. Hammer Bro.

49. Nabbit
50. Cappy
51. Shake King
52. Monty Mole
53. E. Gadd
54. Luma
55. Boom Boom
56. King Bob-Omb
57. Blooper
58. Piranha Plant

59. Captain Syrup
60. T. Rex
61. Fat Yoshi
(The meme everyone loves.)
62. King Wart
63. Toadsworth
64. Huey
65. Greenie

-------

Cut Characters
(Due to them being wasted slots and clones.)
Baby Daisy
Baby Rosalina
Metal Mario
Pink-Gold Peach (The one everyone hates oh so much.)
Honey Queen
Lakitu
Cat Peach
Tanooki Mario
-------

DLC 1-Kirby X Mario Kart 10
Kirby
Bandana Dee
King Dedede
Meta Knight
-------

DLC 2-Warioware X Mario Kart 10
Mona
Jimmy T
Ashley
Dribble & Spitz
-------

Total of Characters
40 Veterans + 25 Newcomers + 8 DLC = 73 Drivers

That's my roster.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
might i suggest that characters like tanooki mario or pink gold peach be alternate costumes at least? every character is someone's favorite after all

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
Individualized DK games for everyone in this thread, on me.
A DK game that plays like a top-down 2D Zelda, but it's Cranky swinging his cane at all these whippersnapper Kremlings that won't leave his cabin alone. The objective is to summon the Banana Bird with Dixie Kong's help to yell at K. Rool to go away cuz he can't sleep with all these shanties his minions keep singing.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
i want a dixie game where she uses her propeller hair to suck in enemies like kirby, but instead of copying their abilities they just get shredded into mulch

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
The next few months sure will be exciting when they start rolling in the announcements of the bonus DLC characters. Hopefully Dixie Kong will be one of them.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I want a Dixie Kong game where she's able to fight other Nintendo characters in a 2D arena, with some guest stars.
Players would try to hit the other players out of the arena to win, and every character would have their own individualized moveset, with some exceptions. There would also be some other modes, such as hitting a sandbag out of a stadium and fighting an army of Miis, as well as an Adventure mode.
As for Directors, it'd probably be best made by someone who's name rhymes with "Sasahiro Makurai".

Last edited:

Dukemon102

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8185-5597-2987
Individualized DK games for everyone in this thread, on me.
A music DK game. But not popular culture music with gimmicky bingos. Actual DK music remixed in high quality by our savior David GOD Wise.

By the way. Each kong uses a signature instrument. DK still has the Snowmads Horn. Boombox to Diddy. Guitar to Dixie. Cello to Cranky. 64 trio gets their instruments back.
K. Rool is not in the game. But put down the pitchforks for a second... this time, the final boss is Kiddy (More annoying than ever) playing a Kazoo....

Top Bottom