• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
While the state of the Donkey Kong franchise is in much better shape then the Gamecube/Early Wii era, The series seriously needs a dedicated studio, Back during the Rareware era there was a time when even DK was overshadowing Mario as their mascot and big name platformer and would love for the big ape to be pushed to the forefront and be taken more seriously.

I don't care what anyone says, Nintendo should have bought out Rare when they had the chance so they can carry the Donkey Kong IP and acquire all the rights to their Original IP's such as Banjo-Kazooie, "But, But all the good people left Rare when Microsoft bought them out." (God does it get old hearing that) Game studios have turnover all the time, Why does it only apply to Rare that they could have not carried on if Nintendo had acquired them? Look at Naughty Dog and Insomniac Games from Sony's 1st Party Studios for example, They have been around forever and you think they have most of their original employees? No, Yet they still managed to find and replace talent and continue to make great games, I don't know why the same thing could have been said for Rare and even if they fizzled out they could have outsourced their IP's to other internal studios. (Sorry, I just had to vent from that quote that is constantly always brought up regarding Rare)

Retro Studios is amazing, But Nintendo seems to like having them juggle or bounce around different IP's.

So I really, really want to see Playtonic Games pitch themselves to Nintendo or vice versa to take over the DK series as they are passionate and love Donkey Kong and based on the trailers so far for Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair which is heavily inspired by Donkey Kong Country and Retro's take on the series so I'm confident they can do justice for the franchise, Hell a chunk of their team are the original creators of Donkey Kong Country and other than Retro Studios I can't think of another studio best suited for the job.

I just hope sales and good review scores will make Nintendo notice Playtonic Games.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
I mean, if he wanted to, he could probably stop at anytime. He has to enjoy doing this to some extent or he probably would have moved on a long time ago. He's a grown adult who's probably being paid handsomely for this, he can negotiate his own schedule. He wouldn't even have to do most of the DLC himself, Smash Bros is so big, they pretty much can just set aside a dedicated team just for the DLC. He even made a point in the direct how blown away the team was by how well Ultimate sold, Nintendo themselves clearly see this as a worthy investment to put manpower into.

An aspect about Dixie in particular is that she doesn't have to be built from scratch. Even if she's unique they pretty much already have the hat. Just paste it on to Diddy Kong's model and add some eyelashes and we have the model. I think she'd probably be at least somewhat like Isabelle/Lucas/Wolf.
I agree. Meming aside in fact I never understand people who say things like "poor Sakurai! I hope its work with smash ends as soon as possible so he can take a break"
Pauses and human schedules of work are right, of course, but... this is his work, and he loves it. Asking for a stop, a long break, is a little silly and childish imo

Btw, I never used Dixie's hat because it makes me sad for the absence of the real thing and moreover I don't like mii fighters. But, does the hair moves when a mii with that hat move? Does it follow the movement? If not, they should animate it and I think they would make also that particular element of the model from the scratch

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
^Mii hat hair does in fact move freely

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
You know, looking back I understood why K. Rool got a hat in Smash 4 because they were saving him for Ultimate, which literally began development right after Corrin and Bayonetta were released.

Now, I don't think there's another Smash game coming anytime soon, which is why they're extending DLC. I don't think the Mii costumes in this game are in the same light, in that it's now or never. Let's hope that Mii costumes can be translated to a playable fighter now instead of the next game. They should have never been a deconfirmation in the first place when we've had Link, Fox, and Samus costumes since Smash 4.

Last edited:

Spatman

Smash Ace
They should have never been a deconfirmation in the first place when we've had Link, Fox, and Samus costumes since Smash 4.
it's different, because costumes should be a (soft, in the case of just hats) deconfirmation for newcomers. Veterans are another matter.

But yes, simple pieces of costumes aren't definitive deconfirmation. It's bit tougher for complete costumes like Rex or Sans tho, imo: they made the complete costume in order to make up for the absence of the real characters and were showcased exactly this way. So...

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
it seems like a weirdly common occurrence for people to mistake this thread for something else...

SeashoreWar

Smash Journeyman
1. Donkey Kong
2. Diddy Kong
3. Taj the Genie
4. Wizpig
5. King K.Rool
6. Tiny Kong
7. Lanky Kong
8. Donkey Kong Jr.
9. Chunky Kong
10. Swanky Kong
11. Lord Fredrik
12. Kiddy Kong
13. Dixie Kong
14. Wrinkly Kong
15. Cranky Kong
16. Candy Kong
17. Funky Kong
18. Bashmaster
19. Kritter
20. Krunch
21. Kalypso
22. Kip
23. Kass
24. Kopter
25. K.Lumsy
26. Krusha
27. Klump
28. Kludge
29. Kasplat
30. Kudgel
31. Professor Chops
32. Tiptup
33. Army Dillo
34. Rabbid Kong
35. Dogadon
36. Pompy
37. Cactus Kong
38. Ninja Kong
39. Karate Kong
40. Tiki Tong
41. Pauline
42. Mario
43. Baby Donkey Kong
44. Colonel Pluck
45. T.T.
46. Gnawty
47. Kalimbo
48. Brash the bear
49. Banana Fairy Queen
50. Mad Jack
51. Rabbid Cranky
52. Toff
53. Scoff
54. Snide
55. Mugly
56. The Octopus from Returns/Tropical Freeze (forgot name)
57. Snowmad Penguin
58. Another Snowmad enemy
59. Xananab
60. Super Kong
61. Drumstick
62. Boss Hog
63. Snowman boss from DKC3
64. Arcade DK (younger Cranky he's 8-bit)

Jesus that was tough. Had to dig DEEP in the DK lore to fill that roster. I left out animal buddies as I assume they will be the "vehicles" just like the original game.
I never thought of Baby DK lol. Maybe there should be baby versions of multiple characters :psycho:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I never thought of Baby DK lol. Maybe there should be baby versions of multiple characters :psycho:
But Baby DK actually exists he was in Yoshi's Island DS and in Mario Super Sluggers. I was thinking about making baby and metal versions of other DK characters as a joke but decided to make a canon as possible roster with characters that actually exist.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
How? She isn't playable. They always have playable characters pull off the fake out. I think the Inklings would make a lot of sense.
Well I picked her because it would make the most sense for her to be the one Dixie could smack aside. I couldn't imagine Dixie hurting the cute little Inklings (which is why I don't think Tooty would be ideal either, I mentioned her in my previous post because she was more built like Dixie and would be more convincing). I guess the playability thing discounts her, but I was speaking strictly in terms of trailer theatrics.

And being a background character on the Spiral Mountain stage, she technically has more of a presence than Dixie ATM.

I guess this can be traced back to our lack of female villains, especially cartoony ones.

Although now that I think about it, could Wendy Koopa work?

Last edited:

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
When it comes to Nintendo characters, the only ones left that I **really** want to see are Dixie, an ARMS rep, Skull Kid, and Porky Minch.
After they're added, I'm like, completely all set for Nintendo's characters.... except for maybe Tingle. I'd like to see him too.

But yeah they've added pretty much everybody I wanted from Nintendo's cast of characters at this point. Dixie really deserves to be there (as well as a stage from Tropical Freeze.)

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
When it comes to Nintendo characters, the only ones left that I **really** want to see are Dixie, an ARMS rep, Skull Kid, and Porky Minch.
After they're added, I'm like, completely all set for Nintendo's characters.... except for maybe Tingle. I'd like to see him too.

But yeah they've added pretty much everybody I wanted from Nintendo's cast of characters at this point. Dixie really deserves to be there (as well as a stage from Tropical Freeze.)
For me it would be Dixie, Krystal, an ARMS Rep (or 2, considering Spring Man and Ribbon Girl would come together), Isaac, and Impa.
Maybe Rex and a Rhythm Heaven Rep too.

Last edited:

ze9

Smash Ace
To me it's only really Dixie and Skull Kid.
I'd like Porky and Toad too, but they don't fell as urgent as the former two to me, and I'll be happy with Isaac, Geno, Bandana Dee for their fans.
Pretty indifferent towards pretty much anything else. Actually, I'm against Switch-era characters. Mindlessly shoving in characters from the latest games is really lame and not at all what Smash is about.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

For me it would be Krystal, Dixie Kong, Porky Minch, Pig Ganon, Skull Kid, Impa, Cranky Kong, Funky Kong, and Paper Mario.

But really though, they can just give me Krystal and Dixie Kong and I won't care if we never get another Nintendo character in Smash ever again. I'm actually serious.

DX_E

Smash Apprentice
It's mainly Dixie for me. It would be cool to see Rex & Pyra/Mythra and Porky Minch too but Dixie is the only character that I feel is missing from the roster. Maybe Bandana Dee but I'd also settle for him to be an AT as well so....maybe not.

Edit: Page 200! Woop!

Last edited:

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
I'm still confident most of the DLC will be third party sadly. If she's ever going to make it into UIltimate, it'll most likely be as an echo fighter.

Seeing as Sakurai stated it would be unlikely to have a roster this large ever again, I would happily take that over nothing. She deserves to be playable in some shape or form.

Having her as an echo would be a HUGE victory this late into the game.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm still confident most of the DLC will be third party sadly. If she's ever going to make it into UIltimate, it'll most likely be as an echo fighter.

Seeing as Sakurai stated it would be unlikely to have a roster this large ever again, I would happily take that over nothing. She deserves to be playable in some shape or form.

Having her as an echo would be a HUGE victory this late into the game.
I'm still on the grounds on either she get's in as a unique fighter/semi-clone or she doesn't get in at all.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I'm still on the grounds on either she get's in as a unique fighter/semi-clone or she doesn't get in at all.
She could still be a semi clone echo like Chrom/Ken rather than a full clone like Daisy/Lucina/Dark Pit. An echo is really just a name to shut up any potential b***** who would call her “boring”. Though Isabelle/Lucas/Wolf differences would be ideal, Ken is so different he can barely be called an echo anyway (he’s actually more different than Dr. Mario who isn’t considered an echo), Dixie could be the same “echo in name only” type of character.

Last edited:

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Hello there, I'm glad to see how active this thread has been after the September direct and congrats on getting 200 pages.

Though I've been satisfied with the roster already, seeing that the possibility of more dlc characters giving more hope for Dixie to get in is great news to think about.

Also I remember back when I described her ponytail as a third arm and I found this.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Dixie and Waluigi are my two huge requests still left. Of course, I would love to have Toad, Isaac, Black Shadow, Krystal, Samurai Goroh, Captain Syrup too.

Also great to see this thread make it to 200 pages!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hello there, I'm glad to see how active this thread has been after the September direct and congrats on getting 200 pages.

Though I've been satisfied with the roster already, seeing that the possibility of more dlc characters giving more hope for Dixie to get in is great news to think about.

Also I remember back when I described her ponytail as a third arm and I found this.
Oh My God.... This is EXCELLENT! We GOTTA learn the artist's name and put this on the twitter page!!!

Spatman

Smash Ace
I would be fine with Dixie only tbh, I would be completely satisfied.

Not an echo, tho. I'm strongly convinced of her uniqueness and of what she can brings of unique. So I want her for her possible playstyle, for what would make her standing among all the others characters.
I don't have any interest in playing an echo of my main character, even if just an "echo in the name".

Semiclone is cool tho, actually I'd rather have a semiclone over a completely original character because I'd like if she keeps Diddy's bair and bananas and of course a variation of peanut popgun in her bubblegun

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Of course I think everyone would like to see her as a full character, but do you guys think they could make her work as an echo?
Like if I had to choose between echo or nothing, I'd choose echo.

They could give her a different recovery, and swap her peanut gun out for a bubblegum gun. Of course she deserves more, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Of course I think everyone would like to see her as a full character, but do you guys think they could make her work as an echo?

They could give her a different recovery, and swap her peanut gun out for a bubblegum gun. Of course she deserves more, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
Yeah, the Mii Costume is already far more of an insult than echo status. (Sans is an exception because his costume replaces the entire head and he was a long shot anyway, pretty much all the other costumes are just masks or hats).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Yeah, the Mii Costume is already far more of an insult than echo status. (Sans is an exception because his costume replaces the entire head and he was a long shot anyway, pretty much all the other costumes are just masks or hats).
I wouldn't say it's an insult.
Only insofar as a Bronze medal is.

As much as I want Dixie to hit the big time we can't get too wrapped up in this kinda thinking, lest we give Kotaku more material for "entitled gamers" articles.

Spatman

Smash Ace

No no, with my post I meant that I prefer nothing.

...ok, maybe I'm talking this way because these days for the first time after much much time I have hope for Dixie and I would disappoint too much by an echo; but really, an echo wouldn't give me anything

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I wouldn't say it's an insult.
Only insofar as a Bronze medal is.

As much as I want Dixie to hit the big time we can't get too wrapped up in this kinda thinking, lest we give Kotaku more material for "entitled gamers" articles.
My main point wasn't that the Mii Costume was an insult, it was that it was more of an insult than an echo fighter would be.

I think the Waluigi fans reaction to the AT has already given Kotaku far more ammo anyways, and the gaming media at large pretty much embraced it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom