• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dixie Kong's Barrel Of Support Spirits. Farewell Everyone, Thank You ALL For Making This Thread An Excellent Place For DK Fans!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I think regardless of anniversaries or not, E3 is probably the best time to reveal anything, tbh. There's a higher chance of someone catching E3 on the news / news sites, especially people that aren't already fans of Nintendo, than an Anniversary that will be comparatively much smaller scale. That's not saying that Anniversary News won't be important and exciting, but there are more wandering eyes that catch larger E3 summaries than individual presentations.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
View attachment 319125

The final day awaits us! Let's see if Dixie makes it or becomes a front runner for Smash 6
There's no guarantee that they'll reveal both characters here - I could see them spreading it out since (as far as we know) these are the last two, so they'd want to keep the excitement/hype/interest going for as long as possible. (the possibility of a Smash character is bound to get a lot of people to turn into Nintendo Directs)

Spatman

Smash Ace
I just can't see how Dixie could be not in the next DK game. Since she is in TF, there aren't reasons to cut her back again. If Toadette is nowadays a staple for C. Toad and multiplayer Mario games, I don't see any chance Dixie won't be the same for DK games too. Moreover, she arrived in her first Mario Kart ever, lately!

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
There's no guarantee that they'll reveal both characters here - I could see them spreading it out since (as far as we know) these are the last two, so they'd want to keep the excitement/hype/interest going for as long as possible. (the possibility of a Smash character is bound to get a lot of people to turn into Nintendo Directs)
The playlist has two private videos on it though as pointed out in the Newcomer Thread.

Although I suppose it could be the reveal trailer and Sakurai Presents as well. Depends on whether they're going to put the Sakurai Presents right after or wait a week or so after the reveal.

Last edited:

paperosbronzo90

Smash Cadet
Let's keep finger crossed for our girl! It's time to see her in Smash.
I'm confident in a double reveal to end the cicle of Smash Ultimate DLC with a bang! The last fighter will be a third party in my opinion.
Dixie's chances will rise a lot if Nintendo shows a new DKC game for the anniversary. Fortunately we just have to wait till tomorrow.
I just can't see how Dixie could be not in the next DK game. Since she is in TF, there aren't reasons to cut her back again. If Toadette is nowadays a staple for C. Toad and multiplayer Mario games, I don't see any chance Dixie won't be the same for DK games too. Moreover, she arrived in her first Mario Kart ever, lately!
I totally agree. It seems that Nintendo continues to acknowledge Dixie more and more. They even said "the debut of the incomparable Dixie Kong" in the description of DKC2 in the news feed page (If I remember well) not long time ago. There's no reason to not include her in the next game
P.S. forgive me for any grammar mistake!

okamifire

Japan Enthusiast
I think that even if Dixie doesn't make it into DLC this time around, she definitely has a good chance going forward in any Smash or crossover game. Unlike Banjo & Kazooie which I've been rooting for and haven't seen much in the way of anything for nearly 2 decades (outside of Smash which is absolutely amazing), Dixie at least is in new games and is part of a franchise that is reasonably popular and represented. Sure, it could use some more games, but these days, what AAA Nintendo game couldn't at this point?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I do really hope there's no soft-reboot done again just to start from DKC1's cast ensemble only - at best it'd be interesting with how Nintendo EPD would go re-interpret K.Rool and Kremlings, incase they bring them back in. Outside of that, I personally just want them to include as much of the Kong Family as they can - and Dixie's been getting rather healthy acknowledgment from Nintendo this past year already.

Gotta say though, I'm still bit mixed on the idea of another 2D DK as well from EPD's hands, unless they really push some new kind of envelope to make it differ well enough from Retro Studio's duology.

I think that even if Dixie doesn't make it into DLC this time around, she definitely has a good chance going forward in any Smash or crossover game. Unlike Banjo & Kazooie which I've been rooting for and haven't seen much in the way of anything for nearly 2 decades (outside of Smash which is absolutely amazing), Dixie at least is in new games and is part of a franchise that is reasonably popular and represented.
I remember how I once used to hold same thoughts about her and Captain Toad in this very manner prior to Ultimate. :laugh:

It doesn't really convince me that her having new appearances on latest games among other kids of relevancy will much effect on her being in the next Smash... I feel the only way we'll see her is when Sakurai suddenly springs up with some unique way to bring her in the series - or Nintendo just has to promote her in to speed that along. :dizzy:

Still, if speaking of the possible new Smash-game in the future... I wonder how things will be then? Frankly I just wish Sakurai would take a well-deserved break from the series indefinitely and hand it to someone capable enough to take into new horizons to reset things bit down from Ultimate's insanely massive spectacle creep.

EDIT:

Something to keep an eye on - stay alert.

Last edited:

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
I disagree here. The more i think about it, most recent Smash annoncements at the last minute or that are big events tended to be double reveals.

-Pretty much every single E3 that features Smash has more than one newcomer.
-Smash 4 DLC ended with Both Corrin and Bayo being revealed.
-Ken and Incineroar were announced in the Same reveal for Smash Ultimate's base game. (plus Plant)
-the time gap between Terry and Byelth becomes not as strong of a counter argument when you realize that the same Direct that annnounced Terry also announced More DLC, and during Byleth's reveal they announced it being Fighter Pass 2. Im pretty sure had FP2 not existed, they may have wanted to make a Final Presentation ala Smash 4 and would have announced both Terry and Byleth at the same time.

The whole argument of "they want to drag reveals" seems to have originated because last year was a very dire year for Nintendo, so it made sense to milk the Smash hype as much as possible, now that we will likely see new Nintendo games that can carry hype and excitement, i don't think it's necessary to rely on Smash hype anymore, especially when people are wary of how the last Smash reveals always tend to be (Incineroar and Byleth didn't put the world ablaze, and both of those scenarios they announced DLC to keep the hype going) so to drag Smash reveals to a few months just to keep some minor hype that will inevitably backlash into dissapointment or into mixed reactions seems like a Fool's Errand to me. But this Nintendo and they love making stupid choices, which is admitedly the strongest argument anyone can give regarding this theory.

GAINAX

Smash Journeyman
It's weird to think tomorrow could be the last day of all speculation, and while I think Dixie's chances of getting in are the higher than they've ever been with the potential announcement of a new DK game on the way, I'm still sceptical it'll happen.

Whatever ends up happening tomorrow though, I'll still keep fighting the good fight with the hopes that we'll one day see Dixie alongside Donkey and Diddy in a future Smash Bros title.

Gonna sign off for potential spoilers. See you guys on the other side!

Spatman

Smash Ace
It's weird to think tomorrow could be the last day of all speculation, and while I think Dixie's chances of getting in are the higher than they've ever been with the potential announcement of a new DK game on the way, I'm still sceptical it'll happen.

Whatever ends up happening tomorrow though, I'll still keep fighting the good fight with the hopes that we'll one day see Dixie alongside Donkey and Diddy in a future Smash Bros title.

Gonna sign off for potential spoilers. See you guys on the other side!
Not to jinx it, but yes, rationally analyzing it, I think it's the moment Dixie has the biggest odds since ages. Maybe I thought she could fit in as dlc during very first stages of Smash4 dlc (when still dlc weren't officially confirmed but just rumoured, and we had the gematsu modified leak with Mewtwo, Dixie, Ridley, Mach Rider and Chorus Kids), when we didn't know how Sakurai and Nintendo conceived dlcs for Smash, and so a character like Dixie appeared plausible (especially because Tropical Freeze was recent news).
After that moment, that moment when Dixie almost unbelievably missed her opportunity, I never felt she was coming. Well, there was the exception of Ultimate vanilla game, but even then, when the game was revealed, Sakurai said immediately that there would have been only a few of newcomers, and since some slots were already taken by Ridley and Inkling officially, and I was sure also K Rool and a pokemon, together with 1 or 2 guest stars, would have been a shoo-in, almost immediately I losed almost any hope to see Dixie in the game (as I wrote in the post of mine quoted by ChronoBound in his last beautiful post!).
When K Rool was revealed and no Dixie shows in, I was definitely sure.
When there was the Banjo's trailer I skipped a heartbit, because it was the continuation of K Rool trailer and it was the imagined, perfect storyline for a Dixie trailer too. It seemed a dream coming true, because I didn't believe anymore in Dixie odds and because when many of us thought about her theorical trailer we thought that the continuation of K Rool one would have been perfect, but at the same time the reutilisation of the same concept, even more the same initial scenes, looked like impossible, and instead it was becoming reality just before our eyes, and...!!

But of course, it comes out that it was "just" Banjo...
And however, despite the fact that the impossible was materializing as possible for a single, unbelievable, absurd, dreamy and heavenly moment, I considered, rationally speaking, the odds of Dixie like absolutely 0.

Two years after that moment, again rationally speaking, I feel Dixie has some possibility.
There are several reasons for saying this: first of all the fact that in this pass it seems Nintendo gave more room to its characters than the first pass; then there is DKC trilogy in NSO and Dixie in MKTour; then the concrete chance we will see a DK game tomorrow, together with the rumored renowed interest by Nintendo in revitalizing this brand, as for Nintendo World; it's something that go also through the extraordinary support for K Rool in Smash by Kremling Kampaigners, which said Nintendo the world is still HUNGRY for DKC, for its characters, and especially for the DKC golden age vibes, style, characters and stories; then there is the fact that tomorrow is the E3, the only place and time where and when we can see a double dlc reveal, and when and where we are supposed to see the new DK game reveal (the E3 is traditionally an U.S. event and in fact there the characters most beloved by westerners were revealed (Ridley, Banjo...) and DKC is especially beloved in the U.S.); then it's the 40th DK birthday and it almost seems like all stars are aligning well, because I cannot see Dixie as the only reveal of a linear, normal Nintendo Direct, but I definitely can see more her reveal like one part of a double reveal, even more if supported by the announced release of a new DK game, EVEN MORE if this game in particular will be developed by Nintendo internally, suddenly becoming THE most prominent game Nintendo would want to support and advertize with a newcomer in Smash:
think about it, there isn't any other Nintendo game in the same position right now: no new generation of pokemon, and the most recent generation already finished its cycle with more than 6 months passed after the release of the last dlc; no new Mario, or Kirby games; FOR ONCE, thank to God, no new FE game which would for sure steals the thunder once again; the nearest Zelda release will be just a remake and even if we will see MP4 and/or Metroid 5, this series has already had 2 newcomers in this Smash, and it's very likely that atleast MP4 will release at least the next year (a bit too late for the advertisement spot). But yes, of course there are some possible exceptions: first of all, even if the nearest Zelda game will be SSHD, theoretically tomorrow the main plate of the show should be BotW2, and lately we had the linked HW2, so a new zelda character cannot be numbered out for sure; but still I feel Nintendo would consider more valuable to advertize a series that is somewhat declined in terms of popularity but still with an enormous potential like DK, more than a series that nowadays doesn't need anything to pierce the skies of the sales already per se like TLoZ and in particular the BotWs;
then, yes, there is the already announced Splatoon 3 that could be a rival; but should they pick a not yet revealed character from that game? It's difficult... it would be spoiler, first of all, and then no one can have attachment to a character who still doesn't exist, and it would smell too much like an advertisement spot; should they pick an Octoling, or another character from Splatoon 2? It's possible, of course, but less likely than Dixie in my eyes because quite less relevant than the co-protagonist of the game that could be revealed tomorrow itself;
But lastly, speaking about: there is the possibility that tomorrow, together with the new DK game, also another new game of a Nintendo long-running series is revealed: so a Kirby or, sigh, AGAIN a Fire Emblem character could miracolously coming back in the realm of the possible thieves of the last spot ever reserved for Dixie Kong (I say this in an ironic way, no intention to flame or to do character hating here). Oh, yes, and then there is Waluigi. I mean, it's always a possibility.

But but but, the deep soul of this WoT is the fact that now, for the very first time since EVER, I consider all these possibilities less likely than DIXIE KONG. Matter of feelings and of rational (?) analysis. It's science, bi... guys and gals!!

Does all of this mean we will see Dixie Kong tomorrow? But of course not! 😂 not even in the wilder wilderness of our wildest dream! Even if all I said was true, something of unconsidered, and not predictable in any way would fall from the Chaos straight in our Reality to prevent Dixie from Smash. Or more simply, the rumors about a new DK game were fake, or maybe the last two dlc characters are two guest star characters (I fear Namco, Tecmo, Capcom, Atlus with Shin Megami Tensei, maybe also Crash Bandicoot, like I never feared them before...)

It will be what will be. Tomorrow we will see. For now I leave all of you, my dear colleagues in the Dixie support dominion, with the first slight, (but so bright!) spark of hope ever.
Have a good E3 and let's hope! With responsability, of course, but HOPE!!!

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Alright everyone, we're in the last 12 hours of what's likely the final Smash reveals. IDK who we're gonna see tomorrow, but if I get some combination of Dixie, Rayman, or Crash I'll be ecstatic. Otherwise, I'll be ambivalent.

We're just about at the end. The Newcomer Speculation will likely be locked and archived by the end of this year and it'll be the end of the line for this thread, but either way, I'm glad we got it this far. We cracked the top 3 most active character support threads in this subforum AND we're also one of the longest running. We avoided the pitfalls of Hype Overload/ Hype Poisoning and Flame Wars, plus we've kept rumors from absolutely dominating the thread; we gave them time in the spotlight but kept the thread active with good vibes, amazing art not just from me, but from Seashore and Mushroomguy as well, not to mention TONS of music tracks, personal stories, funny posts and some really fun DKC-styled games to try while waiting for the newest entry.

That being said, I'm really pleased that we ALL kept this thread going. Even when it seemed bleak, we didn't delude ourselves and pretend to not see the hurdles Dixie Kong faces. IDK what Sakurai will unveil, but I have a spark of hope that it might be Dixie's debut. If she does make it then we go wild and cheer for the Third Hero of the DK series. If she doesn't make it.... we won't be enraged. We knew the odds going into this, and while it would be an astronomical boost for Dixie, we know that she is a great character to begin with. Getting into Smash isn't her validation, it's her acknowledgement. She's a great character with or without Smash Bros; I certainly wouldn't have beaten Kaptain K. Rool if it wasn't for her and navigated DKC2 if it was just Diddy taking his chances. I also wouldn't have 200%'d Tropical Freeze without her or Cranky's (sorry Diddy) inclusion. We all poured a lot of effort into appreciating Dixie and the series she comes from; that's a victory in and of itself.

I'll be updating the thread Title once news breaks as to who's made it in. This thread has been a nice, consistent presence in my life and I'm glad we all came together to help it thrive. Thank you all, whether you're a regular, occasionally dropping in or lurking more often than not. I may post another moveset idea before Nintendo starts their presentation as a temporary distraction, but I hope we all walk away from E3 with something to smile about.

Gunned

Smash Rookie
Hey folks. I just wanted to leave a message atleast one more time here, before the last two fighters are possibly revealed.
While my hopes for Dixie joining the roster have dwindled down significantly, I still think she is one of the most deserving first party characters left.
If not for this game, she'll make it into the next one, I am pretty confident about it. She scored high enough on that ballot.
They will use it again for a next game, especially if it's the case that Sakurai is not directing it, they will have more value than before in using it for reference.

I do not expect anything too special from the e3 direct today, maybe we will see a new 3d DK game, maybe we will not. Hopefully we will!
But I do not have any doubts that once we do a get a new game Dixie has a bigger chance of being included in it than she has had prior.
Mario Kart Tour is solid proof that she's now on Nintendo's mind again. I personally think Dixie, alongside K. Rool, will both be franchise mainstays from now on. But even so, I cannot help but feel frustrated at how long it took for Nintendo to get to this point.

Regardless, for Dixie Kong, and the DK franchise in general, the future is definitely looking bright.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Ok, so here's the idea I promised in the previous post:

We have another installment in the Summon category. These are instances when Dixie gets help from a familiar face, and not all of them are Animal Buddies. In this case though, Dixie does get help from an AB, and here we have none other than Squawks:

Squawks appears in a puff of smoke and vomits out a seed like in DKC2! The seed bounces on the ground in an arc that's tighter than Mario's fireballs, and it travels faster than them as well. It can bounce off walls and is a below-average hitter in terms of damage, meant more for disruption overall. Works best as a Side Special.

In the event that Dixie's Popgun doesn't get used, Squawks is a good alternative as he canonically used this attack in DKC2. When it comes to moveset potential, Squawks has 2 uses: fly a Kong to safety (my Up B from way back when) and spit seeds at enemies. So in his case, I've covered any potential uses he might have in a hypothetical moveset, so I'm done with brainstorming for him. This could've been a Neutral Special, but because of Kirby it's better as a Side B; this concept is pretty straightforward so there's not much to go into. It's an alternative to Dixie's gumball popgun and that's that. Please put this on twitter whenever you'd like! I understand the potential news tsunami will take precedence over this so I'm not sweating it.

One more thing, this goes to show all the potential that Dixie has as a unique and viable fighter worth speculating on. She has far more going for her than Wig Diddy and can come with interesting traits that range from DKC Props, Animal Buddy Summons, Grapple Oriented Fighter, and 5-Limbed Combatant. K. Rool is primarily the only one who utilizes his canon, DKC series and DK64 attacks; DK and Diddy are primarily made up movesets, so Dixie using her unique abilities in reference to her canon attacks would be refreshing. 2 that do, and 2 that don't. Dixie's hair often gets overlooked as only able to do helicopter spins, but doing so ignores how she fights with it, grabs with it, whips and throws with it, etc. She even drills with it! It functions as an extra limb, and I maintain that a 5-Limbed character (2 arms, 2 legs, one Prehensile Ponytail) in a fighting game is a simple but very practical jumping off point for unique ideas. Imagine being able to hold 2 items, one in your hand and the other in your hair. Dixie's ponytail is essentially a Combat Tentacle growing out the back of her head that's surprisingly strong with good range. Dixie can potentially cover the Prehensile Hair, Combat Tentacle and Multi-Armed and Dangerous tropes. For those who are new to this thread, I have a google doc of ideas meant to spark your imagination. I'm not saying or think Dixie will get in exactly how I imagine her, but I do want people to see her potential. It looks best on desk/laptops though, have a look:
There's a ton of ideas and details to inspire others and it won't disappoint! Anyway, however today ends, know that Dixie has a lot going for her.

Last edited:

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Considering that,
many of my E3 predictions are turning out to be true
, I want to use this late hour to help prepare for the scenario that many of us would not like to see, namely that Dixie Kong will not make an appearance in the new DK title that is rumored to be unveiled later today.

If that is the case, then Dixie is definitely not going to be playable in Ultimate, and her fanbase will have an uphill battle for the next game as well. I think by that point, Cranky and Funky Kong might have competitively sized fanbases with Dixie Kong (I am definitely noticing more and more support for those two with each subsequent year).

Secondly, there have been MULTIPLE points in Dixie Kong's history where she was not brought back for a major installment in the DK series:

Diddy Kong Racing did not have her in despite DKC3 releasing the year before, and DKL3 releasing at the same time as Diddy Kong Racing.
Donkey Kong 64 did not have her despite it having a playable character that utilized gliding.
Country Returns did not have her despite bringing in multiple Rare created characters (Diddy Kong, Cranky Kong, Rambi, Squawks).

I feel extremely strongly that in a few hours not only will we know all of the characters to Pass 2 (and that Dixie Kong will not be among them), but also that she will be absent from the new DK title that will be unveiled. I am not going to look forward to how this thread will look in three hours. It will probably be bittersweet like I said (happy about a new DK title being made and K. Rool and the Kremlings returning, but disappointed that Dixie Kong once again missed out on yet another critical DK title).

As I said many times before, Dixie Kong is going to need K. Rool fanbase level support and energy is she is going to have any sort of hope of ever becoming playable. Barring that, she is basically another Toad (a character with an incredible legacy within their own franchise, that will always get passed on for Smash by both fans and developers).

As I said before, I am not going to fight that fight. I just don't have the time or interest to do it. Ultimate was also 95% of what I wanted to see in Smash, and I feel many of the veterans I have a strong personal attachment to (such as Roy) are the top of the chopping block for the next title. Ultimate was pretty much my dream Smash.

In a few hours, I feel my "pessimism" will be completely vindicated.

If there is a silver lining, it might be that if this new DK title does well enough, a subsequent game will be made, and hopefully Dixie Kong will be a major part of that one.

We have another installment in the Summon category. These are instances when Dixie gets help from a familiar face, and not all of them are Animal Buddies. In this case though, Dixie does get help from an AB, and here we have none other than Squawks:

Squawks appears in a puff of smoke and vomits out a seed like in DKC2! The seed bounces on the ground in an arc that's tighter than Mario's fireballs, and it travels faster than them as well. It can bounce off walls and is a below-average hitter in terms of damage, meant more for disruption overall. Works best as a Side Special.

In the event that Dixie's Popgun doesn't get used, Squawks is a good alternative as he canonically used this attack in DKC2. When it comes to moveset potential, Squawks has 2 uses: fly a Kong to safety (my Up B from way back when) and spit seeds at enemies. So in his case, I've covered any potential uses he might have in a hypothetical moveset, so I'm done with brainstorming for him. This could've been a Neutral Special, but because of Kirby it's better as a Side B; this concept is pretty straightforward so there's not much to go into. It's an alternative to Dixie's gumball popgun and that's that. Please put this on twitter whenever you'd like! I understand the potential news tsunami will take precedence over this so I'm not sweating it.

One more thing, this goes to show all the potential that Dixie has as a unique and viable fighter worth speculating on. She has far more going for her than Wig Diddy and can come with interesting traits that range from DKC Props, Animal Buddy Summons, Grapple Oriented Fighter, and 5-Limbed Combatant. K. Rool is primarily the only one who utilizes his canon, DKC series and DK64 attacks; DK and Diddy are primarily made up movesets, so Dixie using her unique abilities in reference to her canon attacks would be refreshing. 2 that do, and 2 that don't. Dixie's hair often gets overlooked as only able to do helicopter spins, but doing so ignores how she fights with it, grabs with it, whips and throws with it, etc. She even drills with it! It functions as an extra limb, and I maintain that a 5-Limbed character (2 arms, 2 legs, one Prehensile Ponytail) in a fighting game is a simple but very practical jumping off point for unique ideas. Imagine being able to hold 2 items, one in your hand and the other in your hair. Dixie's ponytail is essentially a Combat Tentacle growing out the back of her head that's surprisingly strong with good range. Dixie can potentially cover the Prehensile Hair, Combat Tentacle and Multi-Armed and Dangerous tropes. For those who are new to this thread, I have a google doc of ideas meant to spark your imagination. I'm not saying or think Dixie will get in exactly how I imagine her, but I do want people to see her potential. It looks best on desk/laptops though, have a look:
There's a ton of ideas and details to inspire others and it won't disappoint! Anyway, however today ends, know that Dixie has a lot going for her.
Fantastic art as always. It really does show the potential Dixie Kong has as a fighter. In general, the art shared in this thread is something I always looked forward to and enjoyed seeing. Thank you for sharing it during this late hour.

Alright everyone, we're in the last 12 hours of what's likely the final Smash reveals. IDK who we're gonna see tomorrow, but if I get some combination of Dixie, Rayman, or Crash I'll be ecstatic. Otherwise, I'll be ambivalent.

We're just about at the end. The Newcomer Speculation will likely be locked and archived by the end of this year and it'll be the end of the line for this thread, but either way, I'm glad we got it this far. We cracked the top 3 most active character support threads in this subforum AND we're also one of the longest running. We avoided the pitfalls of Hype Overload/ Hype Poisoning and Flame Wars, plus we've kept rumors from absolutely dominating the thread; we gave them time in the spotlight but kept the thread active with good vibes, amazing art not just from me, but from Seashore and Mushroomguy as well, not to mention TONS of music tracks, personal stories, funny posts and some really fun DKC-styled games to try while waiting for the newest entry.

That being said, I'm really pleased that we ALL kept this thread going. Even when it seemed bleak, we didn't delude ourselves and pretend to not see the hurdles Dixie Kong faces. IDK what Sakurai will unveil, but I have a spark of hope that it might be Dixie's debut. If she does make it then we go wild and cheer for the Third Hero of the DK series. If she doesn't make it.... we won't be enraged. We knew the odds going into this, and while it would be an astronomical boost for Dixie, we know that she is a great character to begin with. Getting into Smash isn't her validation, it's her acknowledgement. She's a great character with or without Smash Bros; I certainly wouldn't have beaten Kaptain K. Rool if it wasn't for her and navigated DKC2 if it was just Diddy taking his chances. I also wouldn't have 200%'d Tropical Freeze without her or Cranky's (sorry Diddy) inclusion. We all poured a lot of effort into appreciating Dixie and the series she comes from; that's a victory in and of itself.

I'll be updating the thread Title once news breaks as to who's made it in. This thread has been a nice, consistent presence in my life and I'm glad we all came together to help it thrive. Thank you all, whether you're a regular, occasionally dropping in or lurking more often than not. I may post another moveset idea before Nintendo starts their presentation as a temporary distraction, but I hope we all walk away from E3 with something to smile about.
This is a very beautiful statement. I mean that. One of the most poignant things I read in this thread in a very long time (and not just this thread, but for this whole site in general).. You did a very good job maintaining this thread. I mean that. You and so many others in this thread are the reason why I still kept posting despite having almost no hope for Dixie Kong as DLC once Joker was unveiled. This was what I wrote when that happened:

I am glad it is done with too. I guess this month will be my last with the speculation scene afterall. However, before I go, I would like to give a parting gift to the Dixie Kong fanbase. I want to write a comprehensive essay about why she deserves to be in Smash Bros. and why she is such an endearing character in general. I have no idea when I will finish it though. Maybe in February, maybe later.

I am thankful I at least know this very soon. I expect the other DLC fighters to be Dragon Quest hero, Banjo-Kazooie, Dante, and maybe Ryu Hayabusa. I think Banjo will be the only one that will personally interest me.

Dixie Kong might have been ruled out for this round, but take heart. She is a gift to the future to fight for.

If Banjo-Kazooie is added in for DLC, then Rare and DK fans should focus their attention that this legend finally gets her due.

I am going to be in my mid-to-late 30's by the time the next Smash Bros. game happens. This was pretty much my last rodeo for speculation. I am going to retire from speculation now after this year. I might just post from time to time until DLC wraps up, but otherwise I am done as a major speculator and participant in the community. I have been doing speculation for 17 years, so I think I have been around for long enough. I might pop in the smaller support topics (like this one) until DLC wraps up.

DLC is going to be third-party focused and I pretty much got my Top 3 favorite third-party franchises repped in Smash Bros. now (Sonic, Mega Man, Castlevania) so I have little reason to personally look forward to it aside from possibly getting Banjo-Kazooie (whose stock went way up now).

It still might be possible for Dixie Kong to be DLC (especially if there is a second season for DLC), but I am personally not expecting it.

I am grateful to the Dixie Kong fanbase for having a pleasant place actually support a character I cherish and not just an environment ruled by fanboy legions and bandwagoners. Even if Dixie Kong never makes it into Smash Bros., she will always hold a special place in my heart as one of the Nintendo characters that made me a fan of Nintendo and gaming as a whole. Playing DKC2 and DKC3 were among my fondest memories of my childhood, and my Dixie Kong figurine was among my most cherished childhood toys.

I have no idea what the future holds. We saw it with every veteran ever returning. We saw it with Ridley being confirmed despite Sakurai saying he was too big just four years earlier. And we even saw it tonight with Joker (a character from a RPG series with barely a presence on Nintendo consoles) being confirmed.

As I said before, I got nearly everything I wanted with Ultimate. However, in life, you simply do not get everything you wanted. Ridley was a miracle. Every veteran returning one more time was a miracle. Castlevania being added (which barely anyone of core asked for) was a miracle. I have been spoiled rotten by Ultimate.

As I am writing this, I am looking at my World of Nintendo Dixie Kong figurine. She is not in Smash Bros., yet she is standing alongside all the other Smash Bros. Amiibos I collected. Ridley will soon join her and the others. Sure she is is not a fighter in Smash Bros. like they are, but just like every Amiibo I collected they are all gaming characters that are important to my heart in some way, and Dixie has a place alongside them, roster status or not. She might never be added to the roster in Smash Bros., but she is still one of my favorite gaming characters, and for that she deserves her place on my shelf alongside the members of the Smash Bros. cast that I have bought. It is for this reason (among many), I must still say...

Dixie Kong For Smash Bros.
Your (the posters in this thread) passion and support in spite of Dixie's dismal prospects was what made me check on this thread every day, and give me a place where I felt I could share my ideas and analyses. Thank you to everyone in this thread.

Even if Dixie Kong is never a playable character in the Smash series, she is still one of Nintendo's most legendary heroines. She just happened to constantly get a bad roll of the dice (both within her own series, and within timing and particular circumstances for Smash Bros.). As BirthNote said, Dixie Kong is a great character with or without Smash Bros.

Heck, maybe some day, we can make Dixie Kong a reality in Ultimate ourselves through mods.

I am truly glad I got to experience this thread even if things did not end in the way we wanted. Sometimes the journey is just as a satisfying experience as the destination. While the destination was not where we wanted to end up, I can say we certainly had a great journey together.

You guys made my last few years in the Smash community pleasant and enjoyable. Thank you.

I will cross my fingers for a miracle or two, but even if the undesirable scenario I outlined comes to pass, I still want to say that I really liked my time here, and feel I can now bow out out of the Smash speculation and character support community. As I said, I will post an updated version of my Dixie Kong essay some time in the near future. I am contemplating also maybe to put out an essay reflecting about the last 20 years I have been with the Smash community, but I can make no promise that I will actually follow through with it.

We shall see what unfolds one hour from now. We are in this together.

Fuzzy Pickles!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1409-9782-5984
Considering that,
many of my E3 predictions are turning out to be true
, I want to use this late hour to help prepare for the scenario that many of us would not like to see, namely that Dixie Kong will not make an appearance in the new DK title that is rumored to be unveiled later today.

If that is the case, then Dixie is definitely not going to be playable in Ultimate, and her fanbase will have an uphill battle for the next game as well. I think by that point, Cranky and Funky Kong might have competitively sized fanbases with Dixie Kong (I am definitely noticing more and more support for those two with each subsequent year).

Secondly, there have been MULTIPLE points in Dixie Kong's history where she was not brought back for a major installment in the DK series:

Diddy Kong Racing did not have her in despite DKC3 releasing the year before, and DKL3 releasing at the same time as Diddy Kong Racing.
Donkey Kong 64 did not have her despite it having a playable character that utilized gliding.
Country Returns did not have her despite bringing in multiple Rare created characters (Diddy Kong, Cranky Kong, Rambi, Squawks).

I feel extremely strongly that in a few hours not only will we know all of the characters to Pass 2 (and that Dixie Kong will not be among them), but also that she will be absent from the new DK title that will be unveiled. I am not going to look forward to how this thread will look in three hours. It will probably be bittersweet like I said (happy about a new DK title being made and K. Rool and the Kremlings returning, but disappointed that Dixie Kong once again missed out on yet another critical DK title).

As I said many times before, Dixie Kong is going to need K. Rool fanbase level support and energy is she is going to have any sort of hope of ever becoming playable. Barring that, she is basically another Toad (a character with an incredible legacy within their own franchise, that will always get passed on for Smash by both fans and developers).

As I said before, I am not going to fight that fight. I just don't have the time or interest to do it. Ultimate was also 95% of what I wanted to see in Smash, and I feel many of the veterans I have a strong personal attachment to (such as Roy) are the top of the chopping block for the next title. Ultimate was pretty much my dream Smash.

In a few hours, I feel my "pessimism" will be completely vindicated.

If there is a silver lining, it might be that if this new DK title does well enough, a subsequent game will be made, and hopefully Dixie Kong will be a major part of that one.

Fantastic art as always. It really does show the potential Dixie Kong has as a fighter. In general, the art shared in this thread is something I always looked forward to and enjoyed seeing. Thank you for sharing it during this late hour.

This is a very beautiful statement. I mean that. One of the most poignant things I read in this thread in a very long time (and not just this thread, but for this whole site in general).. You did a very good job maintaining this thread. I mean that. You and so many others in this thread are the reason why I still kept posting despite having almost no hope for Dixie Kong as DLC once Joker was unveiled. This was what I wrote when that happened:

Your (the posters in this thread) passion and support in spite of Dixie's dismal prospects was what made me check on this thread every day, and give me a place where I felt I could share my ideas and analyses. Thank you to everyone in this thread.

Even if Dixie Kong is never a playable character in the Smash series, she is still one of Nintendo's most legendary heroines. She just happened to constantly get a bad roll of the dice (both within her own series, and within timing and particular circumstances for Smash Bros.). As BirthNote said, Dixie Kong is a great character with or without Smash Bros.

Heck, maybe some day, we can make Dixie Kong a reality in Ultimate ourselves through mods.

I am truly glad I got to experience this thread even if things did not end in the way we wanted. Sometimes the journey is just as a satisfying experience as the destination. While the destination was not where we wanted to end up, I can say we certainly had a great journey together.

You guys made my last few years in the Smash community pleasant and enjoyable. Thank you.

I will cross my fingers for a miracle or two, but even if the undesirable scenario I outlined comes to pass, I still want to say that I really liked my time here, and feel I can now bow out out of the Smash speculation and character support community. As I said, I will post an updated version of my Dixie Kong essay some time in the near future. I am contemplating also maybe to put out an essay reflecting about the last 20 years I have been with the Smash community, but I can make no promise that I will actually follow through with it.

We shall see what unfolds one hour from now. We are in this together.

11th hour post it is indeed. Even if Dixie Kong is not in the next Donkey Kong game, she will almost certainly appear in the one after. That is because Nintendo is making Donkey Kong a priority again, as they should be. If the next game is developed by Nintendo EPD like I suspect, that will affirm my suspicion.

She has a bright future ahead, Smash or no Smash. There are still spin-off appearances she can make like Mario Kart Tour and the likely DK spin-offs we will receive again. I also have no doubt that the next DK game will sell many millions thanks to the success of the Nintendo Switch.

I am going in hopeful and optimistic. If it's a solid Direct with a new game and Kremling's return, we still won in a way. I am going to cross my fingers.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
For all it's worth, I am putting all my hopes on Dixie being part of the new DK-game, if to only close our times together on a high note and discuss both the fun prospects of the game and her appearance in it bringing.

As always, your reflections are nothing short of thought-provoking despite our shared bittersweetness. It's gonna be little strange to say but all I hope now is that your pessimistic expectations with Dixie don't get vindicated this time....

As you've rallied it with us before: Dixie Kong for Smash Bros., ChronoBound ChronoBound .

The storm's brewing ever closer. I'll be seeing you after the rainclouds settle.

Last edited:

InASnowBoundLand

Smash Lord

Woah! I love it! You're selling me on the animal buddies when I was kinda skeptical of them in Dixie's moveset. I think the poses you use and the context for the move helps a lot. So it doesn't feel "random" which I sometimes felt with some animal buddy suggestions. But yeah, I'll post it in a few days depending on what's shown so your artwork is not overshadowed.

Anyway, I'm curious about the direct. But I can't say I feel necessarily optimistic or pessimistic either. Just rolling with whatever happens.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Mushroomguy12 Mushroomguy12 Yeah I'm getting kinda nervous here lol. Literally took a nap to speed things up after my last post and a lot has been said.

ChronoBound ChronoBound thank you so VERY much! I've always taken your essays to heart and appreciated every post. It shows in your 20 year history that you're very wise, even in the post Brawl days I regarded your posts with respect, and when you first commented in this thread it was a great surprise to see such a long-time fan support Dixie. You certainly have my respect.

InASnowBoundLand InASnowBoundLand that's the PERFECT way to approach today's E3. I'm gonna do the same!

Alright everyone, less than 10 mins. I know things are gonna be tense, so if we don't get our way it's ok to vent. We just have to keep from getting hostile and attacking eachother; we're truly facing the Calm Before The Storm. Just Hype Responsibly and we'll see what Nintendo offers.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
-Loving Samus's new suit and glad we're getting it right after it's announced soon. Looking at you Prime 4!

-BoTW 2 looks nice and it's probably gonna reference Skyward Sword.

-Other than one Smash character and a nice Metroid reveal, this E3 is pretty unremarkable. No DK news so the rumors seemed to be nothing more than hoaxes that a lot of YouTubers piggybacked on.

Anyway, moving on.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
No DK news so the rumors seemed to be nothing more than hoaxes that a lot of YouTubers piggybacked on.
Having seen some notable Nintendo IPs being brought to limelight again (ADVANCE WARS), I might be willing to give the rumors still some chance to prove themselves one more time...Though again, this was still a big place to really open the curtains.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Having seen some notable Nintendo IPs being brought to limelight again (ADVANCE WARS), I might be willing to give the rumors still some chance to prove themselves one more time...Though again, this was still a big place to really open the curtains.

I guess I'll keep an open mind about it then.👍

Fuzzy Pickles!

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-1409-9782-5984
I still think that a new Donkey Kong game is happening. We just need to wait longer for the game to come out. It will come out whenever it is time for the game to come out. Nintendo won't cancel a franchise like Donkey Kong when it has been so important to them.

If we can get Advance Wars back, a new game for us can't be that far behind.

Last edited:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
There -was- a lot of piggybacking on DK rumors, largely from (ex-)ResetEra users who made inferences from the old Nintendo job postings for 2D platformers, after actually credible people had had the intel for the better part of two years. Star Fox Grand Prix, this ain’t. Keep in mind, Nintendo EPD is based out of some of the major Japanese metropolitan areas that were hit the hardest over the past 15 months. Keep listening and at some point in the not too distant future, you’ll hear it coming.

Last edited:
Top Bottom