• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Well, I'll be surprised if the box legendaries don't get G-Max signature moves at minimum, so that's potential Final Smash material depending on what they are. Still strange that we know so little about them so far--not only are we in the dark about their typings, but all of their Dex details on the main site are covered in question marks.

Is there something more to them, something they're waiting to reveal until later, that such details would give away?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, I'll be surprised if the box legendaries don't get G-Max signature moves at minimum, so that's potential Final Smash material depending on what they are. Still strange that we know so little about them so far--not only are we in the dark about their typings, but all of their Dex details on the main site are covered in question marks.

Is there something more to them, something they're waiting to reveal until later, that such details would give away?
There must be something more to them. The wing-like blades on Zacian's back look like they detach and fuse with his sword, and I'm sure Zamazenta's Shield does more than just defend. Surely they'll go into their attacks at some point, right?

Maybe they're saving the pair for when they reveal more of the story? There's rumors of an evil Legendary, so maybe this region's evil team will have the box Legendary face it off in a duel?

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
There must be something more to them. The wing-like blades on Zacian's back look like they detach and fuse with his sword,
That is the thing I have been more curious about when it comes to Zacian. At first I didn't noticed but then I saw a post pointing it out, and I honestly find that pretty cool! :3 xD It's going to be hard getting used to see him without the "wings" tho.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
That is the thing I have been more curious about when it comes to Zacian. At first I didn't noticed but then I saw a post pointing it out, and I honestly find that pretty cool! :3 xD It's going to be hard getting used to see him without the "wings" tho.
I made a post at the bottom of the first page with an image that has a few shots of the blades detaching. We can't see much, but it looks like the new sword's blade gets a lot thicker, longer, and heavier.

I'd really like to see what it looks like and what it can do. It'd be a huge help to figuring out how Zacian would fight in Smash.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Zacian and Zamazenta will be getting a special Nintendo Switch Lite this November.

It's tempting. Might spring for it if I have some extra cash at the time.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Zacian and Zamazenta will be getting a special Nintendo Switch Lite this November.

It's tempting. Might spring for it if I have some extra cash at the time.
not surprising most new pokemon gens get a special edition console these days

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
It's quite a pretty design but the idea of the switch lite doesn't convince me at all so I'll be keeping my normal switch I think

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

It's not a given box legendaries will play into a region's mechanics. Xerneas and Yvetal don't have Mega Evolutions and it took until Ultra Sun/Moon for Solgaleo and Lunala to get Z Moves. They could just as easily have moves/abilities designed to counter dynamaxing rather than doing so themselves, like Zacian being about doing extra damage to them or Zamazenta taking less or even nullifying damage from dynamaxed Pokemon (perhaps it is only the "evil legendary" that actually gigantamaxes and is the source of the phenomenon in Galar?).

There must be something more to them. The wing-like blades on Zacian's back look like they detach and fuse with his sword, and I'm sure Zamazenta's Shield does more than just defend. Surely they'll go into their attacks at some point, right?

Maybe they're saving the pair for when they reveal more of the story? There's rumors of an evil Legendary, so maybe this region's evil team will have the box Legendary face it off in a duel?
Look at how they handle Aegislash's sword and shield stances in Pokken: sword is about burst movement and close combat first and foremost, while shield is all about armour and ranged attacks. Zamazenta could easily create and fire force fields from it's shield mane and other beam attacks from it's mouth. If you're looking for an archetype fitting Zamazenta, zoner is most likely if he has low speed which defensive mons tend to have.

Plot-wise, it could be either the rumoured evil legendary being used by the evil team to capture the version legendary, or we have another Black & White where the evil team gets the opposite legendary (perhaps the Chairman/Oleana trying to secure Leon's position as champion?) and you have to counter with your version's legendary. Or it's both and the evil legendary fuses with the opposite. And in terms of lore, I expect an even deeper look at the concept of Pokemon war that X & Y touched on, explaining why battling seems to so much more of a big deal in Galar compared to other regions. Why else would the legendaries be battle-themed?

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
We got another trailer today. Not much of it can be translated into Smash, but I thought I'd share anyways.

Also, this gives more credibility to a rumor posted back in May. If true, we might have an idea as to what Zacian and Zamazenta's competition will be.

Here's the rumor.

It's too early to say for sure, but if these are the themes the final evos will be based off of, then I'm feeling pretty good about our chances. Scorbunny and Sobble's theme seem to mirror Incineroar and Greninja's to an extent.
The thing is that there's still time for them to show us the pokemon that could be considered the equivalent of Lucario in gen 4 or Rockruff & Lycanroc in gen 7 in terms of promotion & popularity. So far Wooloo & Yamper seem to have the most buzz but it isn't as big as the previous.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
The thing is that there's still time for them to show us the pokemon that could be considered the equivalent of Lucario in gen 4 or Rockruff & Lycanroc in gen 7 in terms of promotion & popularity. So far Wooloo & Yamper seem to have the most buzz but it isn't as big as the previous.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but we only know 15 of the new Pokémon, right? Aside from the starters and the Legendaries, we don't know who Game Freak is gonna put heavy promotion on. It's just way too early to say.

As of now though, I don't see any "Mimikyu" or "Lycanroc" Pokémon whose popularity or promotional push would make them a serious threat. Out of the very few Pokémon we've got, Zacian and Zamazenta are still the only ones who I feel like are realistic choices. That'll likely change in the near future, but that's where I stand as of today.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
While that's true, the window for a Lucario archetype to happen in Gen 8 may be closing fast. Lucario itself pre-dated the announcements of Diamond and Pearl if I remember correctly, Zorua and Zoroark were the first Gen 5 'mons to be revealed, and while the Lycanroc form that was actually set for the role took a while to show up, Rockruff was teased in SuMo's first gameplay trailer in May of 2016 and fully revealed a month later, first in Corocoro and then in an official trailer. The Corocoro article even hinted at something being special about it, as well as some ambiguous wording that might've implied sharing a "secret" with the starters which is why I've wondered if the Lycanroc Z-Crystal was originally going to be in SuMo but fell victim to corner cutting and was saved for USUM as the games got rushed late in development in order to meet a deadline that, due to other sides of the franchise like the anime, TGC, and etc., could not be pushed back..

This may well come down to just the starters and box legendaries. If Gen 8 as a whole gets a shot, at any rate.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
While that's true, the window for a Lucario archetype to happen in Gen 8 may be closing fast. Lucario itself pre-dated the announcements of Diamond and Pearl if I remember correctly, Zorua and Zoroark were the first Gen 5 'mons to be revealed, and while the Lycanroc form that was actually set for the role took a while to show up, Rockruff was teased in SuMo's first gameplay trailer in May of 2016 and fully revealed a month later, first in Corocoro and then in an official trailer. The Corocoro article even hinted at something being special about it, as well as some ambiguous wording that might've implied sharing a "secret" with the starters which is why I've wondered if the Lycanroc Z-Crystal was originally going to be in SuMo but fell victim to corner cutting and was saved for USUM as the games got rushed late in development in order to meet a deadline that, due to other sides of the franchise like the anime, TGC, and etc., could not be pushed back..

This may well come down to just the starters and box legendaries. If Gen 8 as a whole gets a shot, at any rate.
I don't think the Pokemon necessarily needs to be blatantly promoted by Game Freak to be considered a threat, but I do agree with you that unless things take a drastic turn, the starters and the Legendaries will be the only Pokemon who stand out in terms of promotion. Mimikyu was already revealed by now, and Lycanroc got revealed in September. If we don't see anything noteworthy by then, I'd say the only real competition from a promotional point of view would be the starters' final evos.

Still, I'm paying attention every humanoid and bipedal Pokemon just in case. We've got a ton of unrevealed Pokemon to consider.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to share something that's mildly interesting. NoJ made a new trailer for SwSh.

In this trailer, we got a better view of what Zacian and Zamazenta look like from different angles.

snapshot.jpg
snapshot1.jpg
snapshot2.jpg

Sadly, we still can't see what Zacian's "powered-up" sword looks like. We can, however, see more details that you may have missed before. For starters, it seems like both Legendaries have scar-like markings on their body. We can also see that Zamazenta has a tail under that blue "cape" of his, or a tuft of fur that resembles one.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I got an email advertising Sword & Shield, claiming one of the things you'll do in the game is "unravel the mystery of Zacian and Zamazenta". Sounds like they're really keen on hiding their true purpose, and they may be unknown by many even in-game. Maybe it also suggests both legendaries will appear in both versions?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I got an email advertising Sword & Shield, claiming one of the things you'll do in the game is "unravel the mystery of Zacian and Zamazenta". Sounds like they're really keen on hiding their true purpose, and they may be unknown by many even in-game. Maybe it also suggests both legendaries will appear in both versions?
May or may not be true, so I'm putting it in spoilers just in case.

There's a rumor floating around that says Chairman Rose and Oleana have been tapping into the power of a giant dark Legendary Pokemon to increase the size of Pokemon and create Dynamax battles. This Pokemon is the same one we saw cut in the grass of the reveal trailer. However, Rose and Oleana don't want the player to discover Zacian/Zamazenta's special ability that allows them to deal extra damage to Dynamax Pokemon due to all of the Dynamax Pokemon borrowing power from the dark Legendary. In other words, Zacian and Zamazenta are the only Pokemon with the tools to beat the Pokemon that's responsible for the power of Dynamax.

At the very least, it sounds plausible. Goes along well with their theme of being heroic knights.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

There's a rumor floating around that says Chairman Rose and Oleana have been tapping into the power of a giant dark Legendary Pokemon to increase the size of Pokemon and create Dynamax battles. This Pokemon is the same one we saw cut in the grass of the reveal trailer. However, Rose and Oleana don't want the player to discover Zacian/Zamazenta's special ability that allows them to deal extra damage to Dynamax Pokemon due to all of the Dynamax Pokemon borrowing power from the dark Legendary. In other words, Zacian and Zamazenta are the only Pokemon with the tools to beat the Pokemon that's responsible for the power of Dynamax.

At the very least, it sounds plausible. Goes along well with their theme of being heroic knights.
What kind of ramifications would such developments have on a potential post-game in regards to dynamaxing, though? Would the truth getting out and/or defeating the dark legendary ban dynamaxing from future competition on moral grounds, or just straight up removing the source of it altogether? I suppose defeating it could just cause it to sleep again and keep dynamaxing around, while Zacian and Zamazenta learn to tolerate it's power being used when they see it used for good, but it would still be a thorny issue in regards to competitive battling... also, could that legendary actually be an Ultra Beast?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
What kind of ramifications would such developments have on a potential post-game in regards to dynamaxing, though? Would the truth getting out and/or defeating the dark legendary ban dynamaxing from future competition on moral grounds, or just straight up removing the source of it altogether? I suppose defeating it could just cause it to sleep again and keep dynamaxing around, while Zacian and Zamazenta learn to tolerate it's power being used when they see it used for good, but it would still be a thorny issue in regards to competitive battling... also, could that legendary actually be an Ultra Beast?
Personally, I haven't put much thought into how a story like this would work post-game. I have a hard time explaining it to myself as well, but I'm assuming some type of logical explanation could be given without it feeling too forced. The human characters probably hold the answer. If we knew what their ultimate goal was...

And regarding the Pokemon's identity, hard to say if it's a Legendary or an Ultra Beast. If anything, it'll probably be tied to Dynamax somehow. Either being directly responsible for it or just having a Gigantamax form.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
sounds like the usual legendary marketing to me

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Personally, I haven't put much thought into how a story like this would work post-game. I have a hard time explaining it to myself as well, but I'm assuming some type of logical explanation could be given without it feeling too forced. The human characters probably hold the answer. If we knew what their ultimate goal was...

And regarding the Pokemon's identity, hard to say if it's a Legendary or an Ultra Beast. If anything, it'll probably be tied to Dynamax somehow. Either being directly responsible for it or just having a Gigantamax form.
This competition explicitly only takes place once a year. Something's got to happen after the main story in order to have a notable post-game, unless they just rewind time to just before the final tournament, because otherwise refighting the champion (and possibly an elite 4) or title defence doesn't seem to be on the cards.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Sorry for the double post, but I wanted to share something that's mildly interesting. NoJ made a new trailer for SwSh.

In this trailer, we got a better view of what Zacian and Zamazenta look like from different angles.

Sadly, we still can't see what Zacian's "powered-up" sword looks like. We can, however, see more details that you may have missed before. For starters, it seems like both Legendaries have scar-like markings on their body. We can also see that Zamazenta has a tail under that blue "cape" of his, or a tuft of fur that resembles one.
There're a couple more pieces of Zacian's design that are clearer now, as well. For one, we thought the gold protrusions from its shoulders were supposed to be a cape-like design attached in the middle, but they're actually separate and seem to be wing-like instead! Whether they'll actually be useable remains to be seen, but they also tie into the other new detail: Zacian's tail fans out at the end, giving it the look of a hybrid of a wolf's and bird's. They seem to have worked a few gryphon-like elements in here, which is really interesting.

So in order words, if this is all legit...

- There's a titan-sized big bad legendary (which a previous rumor named Eternitus) that radiates an unusual power into its surroundings as it lies dormant, almost like a cross between Grima and Lavos. This is what creates the Dynamax phenomenon in certain spots in Galar.
- Chairman Rose is tapping into this power to give the Galar League more renown, and while it's worked, there's likely a cost that he either doesn't care about or is trying to cover up. If Eternitus is Lavos here, then Rose is Queen Zeal with her Mammon Machine, and I've a feeling that in just the same way, Rose's actions are driving Eternitus closer and closer to waking up.
- Zacian and Zamazenta are pivotal here because they're ancient protectors of Galar whose weapons are basically Falchions, except effective against titans instead of dragons. Perhaps once everything goes south the player is tasked with tracking one of them down and joining forces with them to save the world?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So in order words, if this is all legit...

- There's a titan-sized big bad legendary (which a previous rumor named Eternitus) that radiates an unusual power into its surroundings as it lies dormant, almost like a cross between Grima and Lavos. This is what creates the Dynamax phenomenon in certain spots in Galar.
- Chairman Rose is tapping into this power to give the Galar League more renown, and while it's worked, there's likely a cost that he either doesn't care about or is trying to cover up. If Eternitus is Lavos here, then Rose is Queen Zeal with her Mammon Machine, and I've a feeling that in just the same way, Rose's actions are driving Eternitus closer and closer to waking up.
- Zacian and Zamazenta are pivotal here because they're ancient protectors of Galar whose weapons are basically Falchions, except effective against titans instead of dragons. Perhaps once everything goes south the player is tasked with tracking one of them down and joining forces with them to save the world?
There was more to the rumor, but I didn't add it because I couldn't make a connection between Rose and the evil team.

While Rose is willingly using this bad Legendary to promote Dynamax battles as a means to boost his fame, fortune, and the image of the Galar League, Oleana is actually the one pulling the strings. She manipulated Rose into helping her track down this Pokemon and is using the region's evil team, a group of loud, obnoxious sports fans/rioters with good intentions, to watch over and keep the Pokemon in captivity while she performs tests and experiments on it. Both are completely unaware that they're being used by Oleana to accomplish her ulterior motive with this dark Pokemon.

The story sounds too good to be true, but if this turns out to be real, this would easily be one of the most interesting set of villains we've had in a Pokemon game to date.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
There was more to the rumor, but I didn't add it because I couldn't make a connection between Rose and the evil team.

While Rose is willingly using this bad Legendary to promote Dynamax battles as a means to boost his fame, fortune, and the image of the Galar League, Oleana is actually the one pulling the strings. She manipulated Rose into helping her track down this Pokemon and is using the region's evil team, a group of loud, obnoxious sports fans/rioters with good intentions, to watch over and keep the Pokemon in captivity while she performs tests and experiments on it. Both are completely unaware that they're being used by Oleana to accomplish her ulterior motive with this dark Pokemon.

The story sounds too good to be true, but if this turns out to be real, this would easily be one of the most interesting set of villains we've had in a Pokemon game to date.
did it come from the same source as the one that got gigantimaxing?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
did it come from the same source as the one that got gigantimaxing?
No, which is why we should take it with a grain of salt.

It does line up with the other leaks though, mentioning several things that tie in with what they've said since a month ago (getting an endorsement to enter the league, evil team of sports fans, etc.). Hard to say if it's real or just piggybacking though.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
No, which is why we should take it with a grain of salt.

It does line up with the other leaks though, mentioning several things that tie in with what they've said since a month ago (getting an endorsement to enter the league, evil team of sports fans, etc.). Hard to say if it's real or just piggybacking though.
yeah thats always the way with these things, still we should get out next update in august so bout 2 - 3 weeks maybe something there

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Here's a question:

Would you rather see Zacian/Zamazenta as a duo character or would you rather see one get in over the other to have the full attention of the moveset?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Here's a question:

Would you rather see Zacian/Zamazenta as a duo character or would you rather see one get in over the other to have the full attention of the moveset?
If I had a choice, I'd like to see another duo character, just because I'm a sucker for those.

I wouldn't be opposed to one getting in over the other though, assuming the one who isn't the focus of the moveset still gets included somehow. If Zacian gets in, maybe Zamazenta could function as a down-special that blocks all attacks. If it's the other way around, maybe Zacian could be a counterattack for Zamazenta.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
If I had a choice, I'd like to see another duo character, just because I'm a sucker for those.

I wouldn't be opposed to one getting in over the other though, assuming the one who isn't the focus of the moveset still gets included somehow. If Zacian gets in, maybe Zamazenta could function as a down-special that blocks all attacks. If it's the other way around, maybe Zacian could be a counterattack for Zamazenta.
Sword appears to be selling more than Shield based on japanese preorders at the moment, so the scales are shifting somewhat in his favour (even if he's not the main reason it's more popular).

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Sword appears to be selling more than Shield based on japanese preorders at the moment, so the scales are shifting somewhat in his favour (even if he's not the main reason it's more popular).
Interesting. Does the first version usually sell better, or is it more of a preferential thing than I remember?

Regardless, I don't think the sales of each game matter much anyway. Sakurai should know better than to give all the credit to the boxart Legendaries. There's plenty of other factors that could've influenced someone to buy one version over the other.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Here's a question:

It'd depend on how they were handled together, honestly. Having them both be present at all times wouldn't work too well since not only would it be infringing on the Ice Climbers' gimmick, but Zacian and Zamazenta look to both be pretty big and it'd lead to nearly any nearby attack hitting at least one of them. Having them tag out for each other could also prove difficult, because Pokémon Trainer already does that, and so there'd need to be something to make it feel less like retreading something that's already been done.

Best thing I've been able to come up with so far is having Zacian be the base character with Zamazenta warping in to assist with certain attacks. Stuff like the down special having Zamazenta use its shield to pull a Fire Emblem Awakening-style Dual Guard maneuver, or the like.

Of course, we'll have a clearer idea of what we can do with their movesets once we learn their typings, signature moves, full movepools, et cetera.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Having them tag out for each other could also prove difficult, because Pokémon Trainer already does that, and so there'd need to be something to make it feel less like retreading something that's already been done.
I think a tag team character could work if it's done properly. The only themes to PT's Pokémon are their types and the gradual shift from "fast but weak lightweight" to "slow but powerful heavyweight". That's definitely unique, but I feel like there's still a lot of untapped potential to transformation characters.

I was thinking Zacian and Zamazenta could be a transformation character that puts an emphasis on offense/defense. Choose Zacian if you need an aggressive character who can get up in your face, make easy combo food out of it's opponent, and force you to think fast. Choose Zamazenta if you need a character who can hold it's ground against an onslaught of attacks, dish out deadly counterattacks if the opponent is easy to read, and force the player to approach it as it attacks from a safe distance.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I'm a huge amiibo fan, so I thought I'd share this with you guys.

If you can't tell, both were sculpted from a Wolf Link amiibo.
Oh my God, this is stunning! :D I hope we get real amiibos of both! This person did a breath taking and outstanding job!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
July is almost over, and we still haven't learned anything new about Sword and Shield.

They're releasing info at a much slower pace, aren't they? SuMo had three trailers in July.

Staarih

Smash Master
They're releasing info at a much slower pace, aren't they? SuMo had three trailers in July.
I think they'll ramp up the info the closer we get to release. That's what I remember happening with US/UM and Let's Go at least, a trailer a month or so until almost weekly closer to release. It's a few good weeks since the last Sw/Sh trailer, so I'm thinking August will give us a new one, here's hoping, I'm thirsty for more information haha!

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I recal from rumor i saw on youtube (of course with a grain of salt) that there was supossed to be a trailer on the 24th of july (i believe the same guy that has leaked a bunch of info from may 23rd) but then another rumor said that trailer was delayed.

The first rumor spoke of a bunch of things regarding the plot that many people are kind of predicting, like the villains and evolution of older pokemon. I wonder if the delay was in part to make the games look drastically better.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
July is almost over, and we still haven't learned anything new about Sword and Shield.

i seem to recall someone pointing out that with the last two gens had big reveals in august

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Somewhat off topic, but Sabi's source (the one that posted that image of a Starling on a roof) is saying it is indeed a hint to something in the future. Nothing to guarantee it being Smash-related, but the two most popular guesses are Geno and Edelgard.

To get to the point, anything that suggests a Three Houses character (while I don't really want one) is tremendous news for us. The argument that SwSh is too late for a character in Smash becomes completely null and void if true.

Last edited:
Top Bottom