• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Legendary Heroes of Galar - Zacian and Zamazenta for Smash

Which would you rather see get in Smash as a newcomer?

• Zacian

• Zamazenta

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I’m not sure about them.

I like that Game Freak decided to use divine wolves for their legendaries this generation, but I’m not that keen on their designs. They’re still awesome, but I feel that the Sword sticks out too much for Zacion, and Zamazenta looks like a lion at times, among a couple minor things.

Sadly, I still would prefer Lycanroc if I’m being completely honest with you. But I’m still willing to look at what the rest of Gen 8 has to offer before I start pushing for a specific Pokémon I may like.
That's fine. I don't expect everyone to be on board from the get-go, especially since we know so little about them. Plus, there's guaranteed to be plenty of other potential Gen 8 Pokemon who we haven't even seen yet that could work in Smash, so people are likely keeping their options on the table before committing to a single Pokemon.

Hopefully, as time goes on and more about this game gets revealed, I'll be able to convince others to support them. For now though, hesitant people can visit this thread to simply show their appreciation for the character.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Tomorrow is finally E3. We might finally learn some more info about these two, such as what type they'll end up being and what moves they'll be able to use. In the meantime, all we can do is speculate.

Here's a very detailed piece of fan art featuring sword wolf and shield wolf. Seems like people are really into their designs.

i dont think we new the types of the mascots for the last couple gens until the games came out

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
So, I've been meaning to post in here. Just haven't had the time.

Things have taken another complicated turn, eh? Seems like a lot of us in here are also from the Lycanroc thread, and it's easy to see why--the new legendaries have a lot of the same traits: feral wolves with fantasy powers. Gotta say, I really like how they defy the stereotypes by being outright noble figures.

I suppose you could say...I'm in. Gives us someone similar enough to fall back on if our Plan A doesn't pan out. And hey, I'm an unabashed Fire Emblem fan, I don't have any problem with more swordfighters if their moveset is unique, and a wolf with a sword and yet-unknown divine powers definitely qualifies.

On that note, how about some cheesy yet thematically appropriate music?

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, today was eventful wasn't it? We got two more newcomers, both of which are third-parties. Oddly enough, I'm feeling a little more confident in a Gen 8 Pokemon than I was before. By the time Banjo comes out, we'll likely be due for another reveal, which is coincidentally close to the release of Sword and Shield. Feels like it would all align perfectly.

But moving on to the main topic, we're still waiting for more info regarding Zacian and Zamazenta. We also haven't really seen any other Pokemon who would be a realistic candidate for Smash. Hopefully it stays like that for a little while longer so we can build up a stronger support base.

So, I've been meaning to post in here. Just haven't had the time.

Things have taken another complicated turn, eh? Seems like a lot of us in here are also from the Lycanroc thread, and it's easy to see why--the new legendaries have a lot of the same traits: feral wolves with fantasy powers. Gotta say, I really like how they defy the stereotypes by being outright noble figures.

I suppose you could say...I'm in. Gives us someone similar enough to fall back on if our Plan A doesn't pan out. And hey, I'm an unabashed Fire Emblem fan, I don't have any problem with more swordfighters if their moveset is unique, and a wolf with a sword and yet-unknown divine powers definitely qualifies.

On that note, how about some cheesy yet thematically appropriate music?

Glad to have you on board, Delz. Always a pleasure hearing your ideas and thoughts.

3D Dillon

Smash Ace
Perhaps in the next Smash, the Pokemon representing Generation 8 would be the fully-evolved Grass starter.
After all, Fire, Electric and Water already has two fighters while Grass so far only has one.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Perhaps in the next Smash, the Pokemon representing Generation 8 would be the fully-evolved Grass starter.
After all, Fire, Electric and Water already has two fighters while Grass so far only has one.
We probably won't have any Gen 8 Pokemon in Smash if we don't get one now. By the time the next Smash game is announced, we'll likely be walking into Gen 9 or Gen 10.

This is sort of a make or break moment for Gen 8.

But regarding your guess about a grass type getting in, it's certainly possible. Just depends on the Pokemon and Sakurai. I doubt he'll add a Pokemon over something as silly as their type, especially since that's never seemed to influence him before. He'll need moveset potential and maybe a little nudge from Game Freak to make him feel comfortable.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
We probably won't have any Gen 8 Pokemon in Smash if we don't get one now. By the time the next Smash game is announced, we'll likely be walking into Gen 9 or Gen 10.

im with you on that one

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Uh oh. I'm starting to get ideas for a Zacian moveset. Nothing specific since we need to know typing, movepool, and other such things first, but something more from a thematic standpoint.

So what we're looking at here is at minimum some kind of legendary guardian, if not an outright deity. This is someone who has probably lived for centuries at minimum, and has had all that time to train and practice and perfect a style of swordplay that, for all intents and purposes, should not work. And based on the lore, that training shows--Zacian is said to fight with such grace to the point of mesmerizing anyone who watches.

In other words...we're looking at a character who has the potential to be the single most proficient swordfighter Smash has ever seen. Able to pull off all kinds of intricate maneuvers and flourishes that should be impossible for any knight much less one who lacks opposable thumbs, yet makes them look completely effortless due to being that good.

But regarding your guess about a grass type getting in, it's certainly possible. Just depends on the Pokemon and Sakurai. I doubt he'll add a Pokemon over something as silly as their type, especially since that's never seemed to influence him before. He'll need moveset potential and maybe a little nudge from Game Freak to make him feel comfortable.
Yeah, odds are it's now or never for Gen 8, and probably even hinges on a second season of DLC happening.

Hard to say what competition the starters could be, though. Especially now that we know you don't have to be a main character in the anime or headline a movie to have a serious chance.

Though most talk is going to surround whatever Grookey evolves into, regardless of what happens. Lot of speculators will play up the "complete the starter trio" angle, even though it doesn't actually work that way.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Though most talk is going to surround whatever Grookey evolves into, regardless of what happens. Lot of speculators will play up the "complete the starter trio" angle, even though it doesn't actually work that way.
There was a now-confirmed-fake leak that said Grookey's final evolution will get in with a rhythm-based moveset, which is basically going "Oh, right, the kind of quota Sakurai cares about is one that's gameplay related".

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Uh oh. I'm starting to get ideas for a Zacian moveset. Nothing specific since we need to know typing, movepool, and other such things first, but something more from a thematic standpoint.

So what we're looking at here is at minimum some kind of legendary guardian, if not an outright deity. This is someone who has probably lived for centuries at minimum, and has had all that time to train and practice and perfect a style of swordplay that, for all intents and purposes, should not work. And based on the lore, that training shows--Zacian is said to fight with such grace to the point of mesmerizing anyone who watches.

In other words...we're looking at a character who has the potential to be the single most proficient swordfighter Smash has ever seen. Able to pull off all kinds of intricate maneuvers and flourishes that should be impossible for any knight much less one who lacks opposable thumbs, yet makes them look completely effortless due to being that good.
The small little snippet we got that describes Zacian makes it seem like his sword is really special. If it can truly cut through anything, then it should have no problem cutting through super armor and leaving even the strongest of fighters completely vulnerable. That by itself would actually be a really good gimmick for Zacian. A character whose sword attacks can do detrimental damage to character's shields.

We'll see what else gets revealed. Might be something even better out there that we never even considered.

Hard to say what competition the starters could be, though. Especially now that we know you don't have to be a main character in the anime or headline a movie to have a serious chance.

I don't know which starters' final evo will be most popular and/or heavily promoted, but I feel fairly optimistic about our chances. Incineroar just got in, so I feel like Sakurai might subconsciously avoid Scorbunny's line, which is coincidentally the one shaping up to be the most popular. Same with Sobble's line because of Greninja, but to a lesser extent.

We're left with Grookey who is arguably the least popular of the three. If it stays that way and the final evo isn't seeing any special promotion, then I'd say we're probably safe from the three starters.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
After seeing how they handled the hero character from dragon quest, i guess that tells us how having both legendary dogs be the same character with alternate skins.
The hero from Dragon Quest 11 and from 8 both looked odd with a shield given that they don't have one in the games they're from.

And even though i don't really like potential leaks, a sword & shield leaker on 4chan (huhuhu...) had posted info on the games about 2 weeks before the pokemon direct, and so far, around half of the things he said were confirmed from the direct and a few more points at the e3 demo.
The name of the First 2 Gym Leaders: Milo and Nessa.
The Electric Corgi Pokemon Yamper (although he called it Pamper).
The Dynamax mechanic.
The new pokemon amie/refresh where you use a tent to interact with your pokemon.
The rival name being Hop.
The names of Leon and Sonia plus their relationship as former rivals plus Sonia's role as an assistant to her Grandmother in researching Dynamax.
The dual Wolf legendary pokemon and their main design motifs (Shield mane and a sword on the mouth like Sif from Dark Souls).
The premise of the water type gym being a maze.
The wild area (including the weather) and the Max Raid battles located across the wild area.

The one thing that's somewhat true is the chipmunk pokemon, given that we've only seen it on a shirt design and a zoomed in screenshot

I'm still hesitant to fully say it's 100% real, but let's asume for a moment it is for some speculation on the starters, because it also details how their final forms will look like:
''Scorbunny will have fighter moves, but will be a pure fighter (i'm sure it's a typo and meant pure Fire). And that the final evo will look like a Humanoid fighter''.
Sobble's final form will resemble a spy themed chameleon (if true i'm actually excited for this one).
And Grookey's final form is a giant gorilla that beats a wooden drum to attack (very much expected this one).

Well, what are your thoughts on these in general?
I don't think Scorbunny's final evo looking anything like a fighter, even if it's not Fighting type, will make many people happy.
The other 2 have a lot of potential to be great otherwise.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
After seeing how they handled the hero character from dragon quest, i guess that tells us how having both legendary dogs be the same character with alternate skins.
The hero from Dragon Quest 11 and from 8 both looked odd with a shield given that they don't have one in the games they're from.
I don't even know if it'd be possible for Zamazenta to be a skin for Zacian or vice-versa.

Even if Sakurai made a moveset entirely out of generic moves that both dogs could use in the games, there's still the matter of their designs. Zacian's sword is an actual part of his design - not just an accessory. The only way Zamazenta could work as a skin is if he had a sword identical to Zacian's, and that defeats Zamazenta's entire purpose.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Slightly off-topic, but did anyone hear the news about only being able to transfer Pokémon in the Galar Dex?
I'm mostly hoping that Gamefreak clears everything up regarding the topic so that people can calm down a tad.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
So the poll has been out for a while now, and it seems like Zacian has kept a consistent lead over Zamazenta.

For those who voted for Zacian, what is it that made you vote for him? Is it because you like the design more, or do you feel like he'd make a better Smash character then Zamazenta?

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
So the poll has been out for a while now, and it seems like Zacian has kept a consistent lead over Zamazenta.

For those who voted for Zacian, what is it that made you vote for him? Is it because you like the design more, or do you feel like he'd make a better Smash character then Zamazenta?
I feel like the sword is a more flexible weapon. For a shield, you're even more restricted to the amount of moves you can make but with a sword you can go all out. For a shield, you're restricted to a defensive playstyle and for moves, you're restricted to shield bashes. But the mobility of a quadruped shines with an offensive weapon like a sword.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I feel like the sword is a more flexible weapon. For a shield, you're even more restricted to the amount of moves you can make but with a sword you can go all out. For a shield, you're restricted to a defensive playstyle and for moves, you're restricted to shield bashes. But the mobility of a quadruped shines with an offensive weapon like a sword.
you forget zamazenta's claws and teeth

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

I'm used to working with swords, so I suppose it's easier for me to see the potential from that already when we still have so little to work with.

Though I figure if one of the two was playable, the other would get worked into the moveset somehow. Like maybe Zacian's down special could be a counter move, and if something procs it Zamazenta jumps in front out of nowhere to repel the attack? Could be based on a potential signature move, or if that doesn't fit, could be based on Wide Guard and have any attacks or projectiles within the surrounding area be nullified, protecting nearby allies as well?

Just one possible idea. Makes me wonder what some of the canon character concepts looked like as early drafts...

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm not an artist, so I did the next best thing to making Zacian and Zamazenta icons. I resized the Sword and Shield logos. Figured these would work well for those who support a Gen 8 Pokemon, but aren't supporting a specific Pokemon yet.

Here's Sword: PKMN Sword symbol2.png
And here's Shield: PKMN Shield2.png

I'm used to working with swords, so I suppose it's easier for me to see the potential from that already when we still have so little to work with.

Though I figure if one of the two was playable, the other would get worked into the moveset somehow. Like maybe Zacian's down special could be a counter move, and if something procs it Zamazenta jumps in front out of nowhere to repel the attack? Could be based on a potential signature move, or if that doesn't fit, could be based on Wide Guard and have any attacks or projectiles within the surrounding area be nullified, protecting nearby allies as well?

Just one possible idea. Makes me wonder what some of the canon character concepts looked like as early drafts...
I'd really like to see Zamazenta's shield get implemented into Zacian's moveset if only the latter got in, but I can't think of a way to make it work without it involving a duo character or Zamazenta popping out of nowhere like Toad or Rush.

But if I had to settle for one and only one, I'm leaning toward Zacian too.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Finally got around to sprucing up the first post. Resized the Legendaries so they can be side-by-side. Also added a few sprites to make it look flashier.

It's still got a bit of work left, but I'm satisfied with how it looks right now.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
whats everone's thought on galar being based on the uk?
I think it's pretty cool. You can really tell how hard they tried to make it feel like the United Kingdom through the buildings and architecture. I like the rustic, industrial feel to the region, along with the lore of knights and whatnot.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I think it's pretty cool. You can really tell how hard they tried to make it feel like the United Kingdom through the buildings and architecture. I like the rustic, industrial feel to the region, along with the lore of knights and whatnot.
too bad it seems to be only england rather than the whole uk

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
I think zacian would be pretty cool he would be the first "anime swordwolf" and that would be funny to see the reaction of the "too many anime swordsman"gang

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I think zacian would be pretty cool he would be the first "anime swordwolf" and that would be funny to see the reaction of the "too many anime swordsman"gang
I've been wondering how people would respond to Zacian if he got in. Technically, he's both "anime" and "swordfighter".

I want to say people would warmly welcome him, but I know better. People will complain about him for having a sword, even if he plays nothing like the others. I just hope those people don't drown out the people who actually like Zacian.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I've been wondering how people would respond to Zacian if he got in. Technically, he's both "anime" and "swordfighter".
  • The Smash community doesn't want to know that Pokemon other than Mewtwo and fully evolved bipedal grass starters have popularity
  • Pokemon in Smash use their anime voice
  • Zacian uses a sword
  • It's from a new game
May God help us all.

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
Sadly i think people will not be happy with zacian just because of his sword but i don't see zamazenta fighting so it's will be pretty obvious if we got one of the two that it will be zacian.

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
I would have both as one fighter (can switch out, like Poke'mon Trainer)

Last edited:

Adelto

Smash Journeyman
That or maybe the main character would be zacian and some move will involve zamazenta like a down b where zamazenta protect zacian and zacian counter something like that

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Forgot to mention that I added Zacian's and Zamazenta's theme to the first post.

Despite being the one who started a Zacian and Zamazenta support thread, I didn't even know their theme was revealed already. :dizzy:

That or maybe the main character would be zacian and some move will involve zamazenta like a down b where zamazenta protect zacian and zacian counter something like that
I think that would be more likely. Maybe some type of special that works similarly to Peach and Toad.

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
ZACIAN FOR SMASH.png

:3 Just some artwork I did to show my support for Zacian in Smash! (I also like Zamazenta, but this guy got me first!). I hope you guys like it!

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
We got another trailer today. Not much of it can be translated into Smash, but I thought I'd share anyways.

Also, this gives more credibility to a rumor posted back in May. If true, we might have an idea as to what Zacian and Zamazenta's competition will be.

Here's the rumor.

It's too early to say for sure, but if these are the themes the final evos will be based off of, then I'm feeling pretty good about our chances. Scorbunny and Sobble's theme seem to mirror Incineroar and Greninja's to an extent.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Possibly. If they can, that'd be a huge advantage for us. Megas and Z-moves were implimented as Final Smashes, so Gigantamax Zacian/Zamazenta would likely be their respective Final Smashes.
yeah id be surprised if any gen 8 pokemon didnt have dynamaxing or gigantmaxing as a final smash

Last edited:
Top Bottom