• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Knightmare Returns! Meta Knight Discussion Thread

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
In a bit of a main crisis at the moment. I've been looking at Meta Knight again as one of those possible candidates, so I've been labbing him along these other characters. I'm just hoping he doesn't feel like a bland ladder machine to me like he did in 4, or is as OP as in Brawl. If he is either of those, If he is, then I might have to drop him again, which is always unfortunate.

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
In a bit of a main crisis at the moment. I've been looking at Meta Knight again as one of those possible candidates, so I've been labbing him along these other characters. I'm just hoping he doesn't feel like a bland ladder machine to me like he did in 4, or is as OP as in Brawl. If he is either of those, If he is, then I might have to drop him again, which is always unfortunate.
While he still has some ladder combos, they no longer feel like his only option. All of his aerials are good, Mach Tornado is a kill move now, and he just feels a lot more solid.

Dirk Derick

Smash Rookie
Aye I’m looking to try and make MK my main once I save up enough to get the game since he looks really fun in ultimate, and I’ve always wanted to learn how he played in 4 but never really invested the time into him since he got hit with the nerf hammer every time I attempted so I just invested more time into Fox instead. But I digress. My question goes out those of you who have the game and have messed around with the character a little. I’m confused on how his netrual is supposed to be played I can’t figure it out. And how to get kills on stage without relying heavily on tornado (because let’s be honest that move is busted, and is going to get hit with the nerf hammer sooner or later). Also possible ways to two frame somebody on the ledge would be nice (even tho idk if that’s even possible in this game or not).
I've played Meta Knight a bit but I'm no professional, your best bet would be to wait for a tournament and see how he looks there. In my opinion he has a lot of options on stage, at low % his old dash attack and down throw combos still work additionally fair auto cancels now making it a good option in neutral and although I haven't mastered running tilts I think running dtilt and running ftilt are great options in neutral. As for killing on stage, I've been having trouble with that myself but I think that running reverse pivot fsmash may be a strong option but I can't do it reliably yet.

T-Donor66

Purple Prizes
NNID
T-Donor66
3DS FC
3050-7765-3759
Oh. My. God. Meta Knight has clicked with me so hard. I dabbled with him in Smash 4 a bit but my god has he clicked with me. He is a monster in the air and his bair is the best edgeguarding tool ive come accross.

I also genuinely love meta knight as a character, and Galacta Knight happens to be my favorite Kirby character, so that alt hits the spot. Cannot wait to learn him further.

Jotun873

Smash Cadet
I am currently considering Metaknight as one of my secondaries. Any tips on learning him and any BnB combos?

Rehnquist

Smash Apprentice
I am currently considering Metaknight as one of my secondaries. Any tips on learning him and any BnB combos?
Not sure what level you are at right now, but he is a bait and punish character. DA, Dthrow, and Dtilt are your combo starters. His combos are heavily centered around Uair ladders, but he also has a few bridge combos with Uair and Dair. His kill moves are Fsmash, Nair, Bair, and his specials (specific scenarios). In neutral you can stall with his multiple jumps or you can do Dair camping.

Abe 'n Munchie

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW 7902 4638 1107
So hello there everyone! Seems a little quiet on the forum front, but I thought I'd introduce myself anyways!

I'm at the start of learning how to play Smash competitively and was hoping to learn Meta Knight as a possible pick to play as! I've always enjoyed using him since brawl when I was young! Though in hindsight.. Learning about all his complete craziness in that game made me realise why I was winning so many online matches back then, haha!

The first thing I was hoping to ask about was when is the best time to use Side B? Since it leaves you in free fall after, I'm not sure it's worth the risk, despite looking flashy as heck!

Thanks and hope to meet you all sometime! :ultmetaknight:

Last edited:

R O F L

Smash Ace
Helloooo, anyone here in this deserted wasteland?

i don't have time to look into it myself. I wanted to know how impactful MK's recent buffs were.

Does anyone even still play MK? There has been almost no posts made in this subforum in 2020, and no discussion of his recent buffs, lol.

Keeshu

Smash Ace
Maybe all the Meta Knights are hiding in the Meta Knight Discord.

TL:DR based on my experience and what I've heard other people say - Couple nice changes, but it's not anything that's going to make him go up in the tier list or anything. Pretty unimpactful.

Sadly I can't provide the best advice since I'm not a super amazing awesome top level Meta Knight player.
I mainly played Meta Knight in Smash 4 and the beginning of Ultimate to learn Ultimate's new mechanics. Then didn't touch him because I was learning other characters because they were new or got changed until I decided to go super try hard at learning the game's general mechanics that are tricky to do so I had to pick another character for a while. I don't even have a character in Elite Smash (Have a couple characters really close though). My mental game is incredibly weak when anything is put on the line. If I get into Elite Smash once, it'll get much easier for other characters because I won't be panicing so much because of it. Also a large portion of the time Ultimate has been out, I haven't been getting the full amount of sleep sooo a lot of the training I've done was pretty much wasted. Bleh

My thoughts anyways though:
Neutral air more range - I actually can't see a difference in range. This is one of those things I'd have to see it side-by-side. I'm still going to treat it as if you have to rub up against the enemy like you're Pichu.

Fair + Bair easier to hit multiple times - I never saw this as a problem, because I mainly used it to gimp characters with bad recoveries, but it's really hard to do in the first place. So maybe it's impossible to do that now? So one less incredibly situational cheese kill. I never had a problem with people falling out of it, but maybe it was a problem for some characters that I didn't fight often

Neutral B "high damage" lasting longer - Note, I was mainly using Meta Knight in Smash 4 so I'm constantly paranoid I'll get tapped while I start mashing tornado and do a drill rush to SD so I don't use this move anywhere near as much as I should. It's one thing I need to work on since it does lead to early KOs often. However, even with that said, I kinda wished it was a tad more generous with the tornado strong hit, and now it is. I felt a bit of a difference in the short time I used it, so this buff gets a thumbs up from me.

Up+B easier to hit multiple times - Unfortunately didn't get around to testing this one much. However Up+B not connecting right is a complaint I've heard a bazillion times and is one of the few things frustrating about playing Meta Knight. So I'm glad it happened, but I'd have to play a bunch of matches to see how it is. Of course, if this becomes guaranteed, it might allow Meta Knight to safely do some combos without causing him to get hard punished for something that should connect in the first place. Might be enough to bump him up a bit.

Safe to say, Meta Knight is still going to be a very hard character to play compared to a lot of people in the roster. He's not going to be top tier because of this, not even high tier. I'm not going to stop playing him unless I commit to :ultlucario:Lucario (other Loyalty Main) or :ultsheik:Sheik (Seems like best character to learn the tricky general tech with and forces you to not get lazy with certain tactics) full time for Ultimate to get better and wait for the next smash to try Meta Knight again.

Velvet Rebirth

Smash Apprentice
Helloooo, anyone here in this deserted wasteland?

i don't have time to look into it myself. I wanted to know how impactful MK's recent buffs were.

Does anyone even still play MK? There has been almost no posts made in this subforum in 2020, and no discussion of his recent buffs, lol.
His new buffs are really good for him, the up b especially is now a very reliable kill move and out of shield option. His new bair 1 and fair 1 though I haven't gotten the opportunity to use them much in actual games, they seem like they make for really good kill confirms into up b, which I can't stress enough actually works now.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Good why dont we use his Japanese Voice its so much better much less deep and Gruffy perfect for him

Top Bottom