• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Kirby Social Thread!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Well I've almost finished Forgotten Land. Still need to do the Ultimate Z Cup, and some completionist stuff like the gotcha machines, but the bulk of it is done. Feels like the third best game in the series with RtDL and Robobot just barely edging it out. A single player mode with BWD, Meta Knight, or Dedede might have moved it up to 2nd place given how solid already the core game is, but even so its an incredible effort for the first official 3D Kirby. Only real nitpicks are the lack of a quick restart for the main levels and meh aesthetics for the treasure road sections. I have to give compliments to the missions in levels/boss fights, which really incentivized replayability and rewarded exploration, though stuff like "no damage against the two Wildy Frosties" really underscores why a quick restart for stages should have been implemented as a QOL feature.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Which Characters would you guys like to see in the Handy Dandy Kirby Newcomer list?
Its a list for kirby characters with multiple major Appearences?
Im Currently debating if i Put Lololo and lalala
aswell as King D Mind on there?

Laniv

Smash Lord
Hey fellas, Kirby's Return to Dream Land DX just leaked a little bit. Just stay on your guard.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I'll just put what it is rumored to be.

A post-game campaign where you play as Magolor.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
So Ive seen that RTDDX Has Leaked i will make a Rule! Up until sometime after release (Determined by me and you guys) Its Forbidden to speak about it without Spoilers and please Mark the Spoilers with Return to dreamland Deluxe! If NOT i will report the person!

Laniv

Smash Lord
So is anyone else looking forward to how brutal "The Truer Arena" is going to be in RTDLDX?
Reminds me I never beat the True Arena in original Return to Dream Land. I know what I'm doing this weekend.

Speaking of which, how likely do you think Morpho Knight is to show up?

Quillion

Smash Hero
Speaking of which, how likely do you think Morpho Knight is to show up?
I think it would be best if they rotate Galacta and Morpho as the superbosses if you ask me. Galacta's already there to begin with, so might as well use him.

I don't want Morpho to be an overused joke like Galacta arguably became by Star Allies and Super Clash.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Im Gonna put the Mode here:
(Old) NEWS:
1676385626041.png

Help Magolor after he lost his powers and got Trapped in Another Dimension!

Cool mode i wonder if magolor gets more op than in star allies!
BTW we can all agree now that Bandana Dee and Magolor probably make the most sense as newcomers in Smash 6 right?
Also lets already Prepare some stuff to be used in Smash 6 Newcomer Threads! (If you want)

Bro, it's gonna be in the news, why not make it spoiler free now?
Mostly cause of timezones some people might not be able to watch it at its release! (I didnt answer cus hands)

Laniv

Smash Lord
Cool mode i wonder if magolor gets more op than in star allies!
BTW we can all agree now that Bandana Dee and Magolor probably make the most sense as newcomers in Smash 6 right?
Also lets already Prepare some stuff to be used in Smash 6 Newcomer Threads! (If you want)
I was about to say,

"Is it safe to say that Magolor is going to be a serious contender for Smash Bros going forward?"

Quillion

Smash Hero
I was about to say,

"Is it safe to say that Magolor is going to be a serious contender for Smash Bros going forward?"
Not any more than MM3D improving Skull Kid's chances or SSHD improving Ghirahim's chances.

A one-shot's still going to be a one-shot with a port or remake.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Not any more than MM3D improving Skull Kid's chances or SSHD improving Ghirahim's chances.

A one-shot's still going to be a one-shot with a port or remake.
I mean, Magolor is far from a one shot. He's basically the fifth wheel in the series with how much he's been showing up in the past ten-ish years.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
As minor cameos not doing much.
He's had two playable appearances, several roles in games (The Kirby Clash series, Dream Collection, and Drum Dash Deluxe), and of course the cameos, which is literally more than 3/4 of the cast has gotten. Only one who's come close to him in terms of major appearances is Gooey, and he had a hiatus in appearances between KD3 and KSA outside of a sticker in Planet Robobot.

Quillion

Smash Hero
He's had two playable appearances, several roles in games (The Kirby Clash series, Dream Collection, and Drum Dash Deluxe), and of course the cameos, which is literally more than 3/4 of the cast has gotten. Only one who's come close to him in terms of major appearances is Gooey, and he had a hiatus in appearances between KD3 and KSA outside of a sticker in Planet Robobot.
Everyone is playable in Star Allies though, and the spin-offs are also pretty good about bringing back other one-shots like Taranza and Susie. His second playable appearance is a remake of his game.

Still doesn't mean much.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
Everyone is playable in Star Allies though, and the spin-offs are also pretty good about bringing back other one-shots like Taranza and Susie. His second playable appearance is a remake of his game.

Still doesn't mean much.
You're ignoring Kirby Fighters 2. He was playable alongside the main four and Gooey, and I'd definitely say the Kirby Clash and Dream Collection appearances at the bare minimum are far more notable than most other spin off roles. (Outside of stuff like Taranza's antagonist role in TKCD, which tend to be exceptions more than anything.) He definitely has the most big roles outside of the main four, at the very least.

Quillion

Smash Hero
You're ignoring Kirby Fighters 2. He was playable alongside the main four and Gooey, and I'd definitely say the Kirby Clash and Dream Collection appearances at the bare minimum are far more notable than most other spin off roles. (Outside of stuff like Taranza's antagonist role in TKCD, which tend to be exceptions more than anything.) He definitely has the most big roles outside of the main four, at the very least.
That's like saying Birdo should be in Smash as a fighter since she appeared in a single main series game that has gotten remakes and a lot of spin-off roles.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
That's like saying Birdo should be in Smash as a fighter since she appeared in a single main series game that has gotten remakes and a lot of spin-off roles.
To be fair, in the context of Mario, there tends to be a much more skewed ratio of Spin-Offs to Main Titles, so Birdo showing up that much actually means she is rather notable given how many spin-offs are churned out. Kirby has a lot of spin-offs, but the ratio between main series titles and the spin-offs is far smaller than it is with Mario. The Kirby spin-offs also tend to be referenced a lot more than the Mario ones, so it's a rather unfair comparison, as it makes Magolor's notable roles mean more in the context of the series.

Oracle Link

Smash Master

Still doesn't mean much.
hes also chosen to be one of the 2 non dremalnd crew playable Characters in fighters 2!
Also Skull Kid Isnt a One off... the exact same one was in OOT and a member of the race is in Twilight Princess!
And lts be honest at this point kirby should get 2 new chars (Or more) not just BWD!
Also if youre that concernd about one shots First its in the name ONE MEaning only one major appearence in the series but magolor is in the clash games, and fighters 2 and the dream collection just sayin also secondly you can also rally behind Whispy or Kracko if that more your cup of tea!
Still Magolor deserves to be in Smash! as Something substantial!

Quillion

Smash Hero
To be fair, in the context of Mario, there tends to be a much more skewed ratio of Spin-Offs to Main Titles, so Birdo showing up that much actually means she is rather notable given how many spin-offs are churned out. Kirby has a lot of spin-offs, but the ratio between main series titles and the spin-offs is far smaller than it is with Mario. The Kirby spin-offs also tend to be referenced a lot more than the Mario ones, so it's a rather unfair comparison, as it makes Magolor's notable roles mean more in the context of the series.
The spin-offs still have no bearing on the main series.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
The spin-offs still have no bearing on the main series.
Kirby canon is relatively loose, and the spin-offs do receive reference here and there (Most notably Kirby Clash, but others do pop up from time to time) Spin-offs nowadays are typically big enough where it's a pretty major role, though I can definitely understand that argument for some of the older ones like Block Ball or Tilt N' Tumble.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Kirby canon is relatively loose, and the spin-offs do receive reference here and there (Most notably Kirby Clash, but others do pop up from time to time) Spin-offs nowadays are typically big enough where it's a pretty major role, though I can definitely understand that argument for some of the older ones like Block Ball or Tilt N' Tumble.
I'm not talking about whether Kirby canon references certain games or not.

I'm saying that like Mario, the main series of Kirby is the end-all-be-all of the franchise and it determines everything in the spin-offs and not the other way around.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605

I'm saying that like Mario, the main series of Kirby is the end-all-be-all of the franchise and it determines everything in the spin-offs and not the other way around.
What does that have to do with Magolor being relevant? Birdo can be considered relevant due to her large number of appearances in spin offs, and thus, Magolor can also be as well.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord

Doesn't Drawcia's existence go against this though? She's gotten two sisters in mainline games, a boss and a playable mid-boss, and she started in a spin-off. I honestly don't think Paintra and Vididrivia would exist without Drawcia.

On Bandanna Dee, though, you have to remember that he was explicitly designed to be a stand in for the Waddle Dees as a whole, the only character to appear in every Kirby game aside from Kirby himself. Waddle Dees are simply so prominent, that there is merchandise almost exclusively based around Waddle Dees and are often treated as a major character in their own right. If Bandanna Dee weren't such a prominent character, then Waddle Dees would probably be a major contender for Smash, and in fact I actually consider them to be the second most likely Kirby character.

If it comes down to it, who would you rather have, Bandana Dee or a regular Waddle Dee?

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Doesn't Drawcia's existence go against this though? She's gotten two sisters in mainline games, a boss and a playable mid-boss, and she started in a spin-off. I honestly don't think Paintra and Vididrivia would exist without Drawcia.

On Bandanna Dee, though, you have to remember that he was explicitly designed to be a stand in for the Waddle Dees as a whole, the only character to appear in every Kirby game aside from Kirby himself. Waddle Dees are simply so prominent, that there is merchandise almost exclusively based around Waddle Dees and are often treated as a major character in their own right. If Bandanna Dee weren't such a prominent character, then Waddle Dees would probably be a major contender for Smash, and in fact I actually consider them to be the second most likely Kirby character.

If it comes down to it, who would you rather have, Bandana Dee or a regular Waddle Dee?
A Mix To explain it the Characters would be named Bandana Waddle Dee and have 6 BWD Alts, A Majority of Spear Moves and BWD Style Taunts (With apple Juice) BUT also have a Waggle Dee and Waddle Doo Alt, Parasol and Beam Abilitys!

Laniv

Smash Lord
Y'all enjoying Return to Dream Land DX so far? How long until we can talk about the spoilers freely, because there's something I really want to talk about

Quillion

Smash Hero
What does that have to do with Magolor being relevant? Birdo can be considered relevant due to her large number of appearances in spin offs, and thus, Magolor can also be as well.
Because Magolor is only relevant to one main series game in the franchise and not the franchise as a whole.

As much as BWD was the wrong choice to continue to keep prominent, at least he is relevant to the franchise as a whole going forward from RTDL (or debatably SSU).

And if you're going to bring up the "Fire Emblem" argument, just keep in mind that Fire Emblem is a rotating cast franchise while Kirby is a fixed cast franchise.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Y'all enjoying Return to Dream Land DX so far? How long until we can talk about the spoilers freely, because there's something I really want to talk about
I think its fine to talk about the Main campain, and Magolor Epilouge! so go on ahead (Although i dont wannna know what the secret level in the magolor epilouge is!)

Top Bottom