• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Kirby Social Thread!

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I think now that the Bandana Dee Thread is down we kirby fans need a new plattform so i present the Kirby Social Thread!

A Thread where you can talk about anything kirby!

Laniv

Smash Lord
It's gonna be stacked and we still haven't seen everything they're doing

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Don't know what the odds are, but a collection with Return to Dream Land, Triple Deluxe, and Planet Robobot would be excellent, especially for franchise newcomers whose only experience so far has been with (the solid but bog-standard) Star Allies.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Demo was pretty fun, though the mouthful mode elements fall into Return to Dreamland/Triple Deluxe territory of being situational powers which, while fun, are a bit of a pace breaker. Planet Robobot's Mech sections felt a bit more organic, especially given that each one had its own set of abilities, so it remains to be seen if Forgotten Land will be able to match that in the game proper.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Mark your calendars, folks, because HAL has just announced their plans for Kirby's 30th anniversary! A live 35-man orchestra will livestream Kirby music, August 11, 2022 at 18:00 (JST) on YouTube, available for free!

In addition to the above, a 30th anniversary site has been added, and for a limited time a segment of the Kirby 25th orchestra is available for viewing.

Looks like HAL is rolling out the red carpet yet again for the little guy. Hope it's a good year for him!

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Less than a week to go until Forgotten Land releases!!

On a side note, I have a crazy theory as to how the plot of Forgotten Land will play out, based on the trailers and demo, and I had to post it somewhere before the game came out, so...
So, my main point is: I think that turquoise goo creature seen briefly in the Mouthful Mode reveal trailer is the actual main antagonist.

There's a scene in the trailer where Kirby is in a skyscraper rooftops environment looking up at something, which looks quite different from world 1 and also has a sense of finality to it (and it doesn't look like part of the volcano area either,) and the scene with the goo creature might be the same area due to the cloudy lighting seen through the holes in the roof there, but we'll see.
Furthermore, I highly suspect that the leader of the Beast Pack is not the final boss and that we will come face to face with whatever eliminated the Forgotten Land's original residents. It would need to be able to do that without seriously damaging the buildings. and a goo creature could be capable of that. It's also the same color as Elfilin's fur, and I think Elfilin probably has something to do with the final boss even though I don't think he's evil (but I can't be 100% sure,) so yeah.

So, here's my guess as to the rest of the plot:

Many years before the game takes place, Lightron Works Co., which was involved with space exploration, found a spacetime rift and recovered a small turquoise creature from it. The creature contained a great deal of indescribable cosmic power within it, but, furthermore, the energy inside the rift had caused its body's form to become quite unstable. (You saw what happened to Kirby in the intro cutscene when he was exposed to the same power.) Some people there wanted to experiment on the creature more, but others didn't, causing Lightron to break up into multiple smaller corporations. Nevertheless, some former part of Lightron kept experimenting on it, causing its body to become completely unstable and turn into goo. Having been driven mad by having been experimented on, and also unable to control its instincts, it went on a rampage through the city. Sometime after or during this, the moral part of its consciousness realized the sheer atrocity of what it was doing and split off from it, becoming Elfilin. (The fact that Elfilin is the creature's separated heart would be why Elfilin looks like a heart in the first place, and also why Elfilin's fur is the same color as the goo.) The rest of the creature shrunk way down due to having just lost a great deal of its power.

Eventually, nature would reclaim the island. The Beast Pack would also take charge of the island; either they arrived on the island's shores in search of a new home, or they happened to have already been there but were spared by the creature. They would prosper here, but, at the same time, they lived in fear of the creature, which would demand sacrifices from them in order to satiate its appetite, and also demanded that they help track down Elfilin. (I assume that King Dedede here is this dimension's resident Dedede, given his distinct design. There is also the fact that his clothes are very tattered, which implies that he had been in this world for a long time.)

Elfilin had a plan to defeat the creature, though: he would build up cosmic power, and would use it to create a portal to summon a hero from another world who would be able to face his adversary. He very greatly underestimated his strength, however, and ended up bringing a large number of Waddle Dees to the Forgotten Land in addition to Kirby. The Beast Pack went to work capturing the Waddle Dees as they would be easy sacrifices for the creature. Elfilin felt personally responsible for this, which is why he is so personally invested in helping to rescue the Dees. I don't know why Elfilin just doesn't tell Kirby about why he is here, though. Perhaps Elfilin doesn't want to distract Kirby from saving the Waddle Dees first, or maybe Elfilin got bonked on the head by some falling debris and forgot.

In the end, Kirby goes to the Beast Pack's lair in the volcano and beats up their leader to rescue Elfilin, whom Dedede had captured. But, the Beast Pack's leader tells them that they must defeat the creature in order to end the strife between the Pack and the Waddle Dees, so they head to the highrise area. After some tense platforming, the creature kidnaps Elfilin, Kirby fights it on the building's roof, the creature absorbs Elfilin and becomes huge and powerful, and Kirby does some kind of insane Mouthful Mode to engulf a building or something to effectively also become huge, and so there's some kind of weird over-the-top kaiju battle.

Maybe, after Kirby kicks the creature's butt, it and Elfilin have some kind of reconciliation with each other, shrink down to a reasonable size, and become the proper guardian of the Forgotten Land, and this design is what they'd use for their future appearances in other Kirby games. But IDK.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

We may be about to witness Kirby going from a B-Tier franchise to an A-Tier...

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Which area of Forgotten Land are you excited to explore?

For me, it's the snow levels and amusement park levels.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Some BGM got released on Twitter:
The name roughly translates to “Go Through the New World”.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

We may be about to witness Kirby going from a B-Tier franchise to an A-Tier...
one of nintendos top ten best selling franchises and people still call it a B

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
Reviews are in

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Here's something interesting that was found in the Japanese version of the game (should mention this is related to the post-game):

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Less than a week to go until Forgotten Land releases!!

On a side note, I have a crazy theory as to how the plot of Forgotten Land will play out, based on the trailers and demo, and I had to post it somewhere before the game came out, so...
So, my main point is: I think that turquoise goo creature seen briefly in the Mouthful Mode reveal trailer is the actual main antagonist.

There's a scene in the trailer where Kirby is in a skyscraper rooftops environment looking up at something, which looks quite different from world 1 and also has a sense of finality to it (and it doesn't look like part of the volcano area either,) and the scene with the goo creature might be the same area due to the cloudy lighting seen through the holes in the roof there, but we'll see.
Furthermore, I highly suspect that the leader of the Beast Pack is not the final boss and that we will come face to face with whatever eliminated the Forgotten Land's original residents. It would need to be able to do that without seriously damaging the buildings. and a goo creature could be capable of that. It's also the same color as Elfilin's fur, and I think Elfilin probably has something to do with the final boss even though I don't think he's evil (but I can't be 100% sure,) so yeah.

So, here's my guess as to the rest of the plot:

Many years before the game takes place, Lightron Works Co., which was involved with space exploration, found a spacetime rift and recovered a small turquoise creature from it. The creature contained a great deal of indescribable cosmic power within it, but, furthermore, the energy inside the rift had caused its body's form to become quite unstable. (You saw what happened to Kirby in the intro cutscene when he was exposed to the same power.) Some people there wanted to experiment on the creature more, but others didn't, causing Lightron to break up into multiple smaller corporations. Nevertheless, some former part of Lightron kept experimenting on it, causing its body to become completely unstable and turn into goo. Having been driven mad by having been experimented on, and also unable to control its instincts, it went on a rampage through the city. Sometime after or during this, the moral part of its consciousness realized the sheer atrocity of what it was doing and split off from it, becoming Elfilin. (The fact that Elfilin is the creature's separated heart would be why Elfilin looks like a heart in the first place, and also why Elfilin's fur is the same color as the goo.) The rest of the creature shrunk way down due to having just lost a great deal of its power.

Eventually, nature would reclaim the island. The Beast Pack would also take charge of the island; either they arrived on the island's shores in search of a new home, or they happened to have already been there but were spared by the creature. They would prosper here, but, at the same time, they lived in fear of the creature, which would demand sacrifices from them in order to satiate its appetite, and also demanded that they help track down Elfilin. (I assume that King Dedede here is this dimension's resident Dedede, given his distinct design. There is also the fact that his clothes are very tattered, which implies that he had been in this world for a long time.)

Elfilin had a plan to defeat the creature, though: he would build up cosmic power, and would use it to create a portal to summon a hero from another world who would be able to face his adversary. He very greatly underestimated his strength, however, and ended up bringing a large number of Waddle Dees to the Forgotten Land in addition to Kirby. The Beast Pack went to work capturing the Waddle Dees as they would be easy sacrifices for the creature. Elfilin felt personally responsible for this, which is why he is so personally invested in helping to rescue the Dees. I don't know why Elfilin just doesn't tell Kirby about why he is here, though. Perhaps Elfilin doesn't want to distract Kirby from saving the Waddle Dees first, or maybe Elfilin got bonked on the head by some falling debris and forgot.

In the end, Kirby goes to the Beast Pack's lair in the volcano and beats up their leader to rescue Elfilin, whom Dedede had captured. But, the Beast Pack's leader tells them that they must defeat the creature in order to end the strife between the Pack and the Waddle Dees, so they head to the highrise area. After some tense platforming, the creature kidnaps Elfilin, Kirby fights it on the building's roof, the creature absorbs Elfilin and becomes huge and powerful, and Kirby does some kind of insane Mouthful Mode to engulf a building or something to effectively also become huge, and so there's some kind of weird over-the-top kaiju battle.

Maybe, after Kirby kicks the creature's butt, it and Elfilin have some kind of reconciliation with each other, shrink down to a reasonable size, and become the proper guardian of the Forgotten Land, and this design is what they'd use for their future appearances in other Kirby games. But IDK.
Youre Good!

Quillion

Smash Hero
anyone else think its odd that beam and fighter are absent in forgotten land?
Fighter yes, but since Beam swings its whip in such a wide vertical arc, I don't see it working well in 3D.

Maybe it could work if Beam's whip was a mid-range melee combo.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Fighter yes, but since Beam swings its whip in such a wide vertical arc, I don't see it working well in 3D.

Maybe it could work if Beam's whip was a mid-range melee combo.
it could work fine in 3D. Certainly the charged versions of the attack which go in a straight line would work

Quillion

Smash Hero
Personally, I was disappointed by Forgotten Land's watered down ability selection and moves. The Super Star combat system is my favorite in any game, and I was let down be Forgotten Land having reduced moves for abilities. I'd go as far as to say that I prefer Star Allies overall for having the best ability mechanics in the series.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
anyone else think its odd that beam and fighter are absent in forgotten land?
Personally, I was disappointed by Forgotten Land's watered down ability selection and moves. The Super Star combat system is my favorite in any game, and I was let down be Forgotten Land having reduced moves for abilities. I'd go as far as to say that I prefer Star Allies overall for having the best ability mechanics in the series.
Personally, I think this is a side effect of Forgotten Land being the first big 3D Kirby game. Basically, they needed to figure out which abilities worked best for their first effort, and as a result, a bujch of iconic/recurring abilities had to be left behind. That being said, assuming any future 3D Kirby games reuse past assets like the various 2D games did, they might be able to just port over the current batch of abilities, while adding more on top of that.

Basically, abilities like Fighter and Beam coming to 3D is a matter of when, if you ask me.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Personally, I think this is a side effect of Forgotten Land being the first big 3D Kirby game. Basically, they needed to figure out which abilities worked best for their first effort, and as a result, a bujch of iconic/recurring abilities had to be left behind. That being said, assuming any future 3D Kirby games reuse past assets like the various 2D games did, they might be able to just port over the current batch of abilities, while adding more on top of that.

Basically, abilities like Fighter and Beam coming to 3D is a matter of when, if you ask me.
I understand that. There's definitely a lot of room for improvement.

I know that dash-jump attacks are a no-go in 3D, but I would be in favor of mapping falling attacks to crouch-guard in midair and mapping rising attacks to crouch-guard on ground + jump.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed

i think theyve only been absent from crystal shards before

Last edited:
Top Bottom