• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official The Kirby Finder post-SSBM era; Updates Annually!

Noce

Smash Rookie
Noce/Schmitz
San Diego, CA
I main kirby in melee. Still learning though :D

Last edited:

Kwyk

Kirby main since NES!
NNID
Kwyk-1987
3DS FC
4399-0116-0271
I used to main Kirby in Melee, and played it from the time it came out, until the time I went to Evo 2014 and got stomped...So, might as well hear it from other Kirby Melee mains that are still in the game...has Kirby's meta improved for melee in the last year or so??

Just curious, still considering setting up on SmashLadders with some melee...but only if I'm not wasting time getting ready to get stomped bc my main isn't viable.

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
Well, I'd say yes. The problem is that people are getting better by the second and that high tier monsters are becomming high tier gods, looking at 20xx in particular. I think that kirby has great potential, referring to the player Triple RRR, who shows that there is somewhere kirby is headed, looking at higher spots of the current tier list. I think that all we need is more dedicated players like RRR, then we'd get somewhere. Little known fact, the very same thing is being said in my thread on G&W XD low tier players are always very passionate but it's problematic that not much comes out of that for now...

Kwyk

Kirby main since NES!
NNID
Kwyk-1987
3DS FC
4399-0116-0271
Well, with your answer being yes, I have to ask another question...

Back when I played Melee, I was trying to master the wavedash, and I managed to perform 4 perfect wavedashes backwards underneath a Link spin attack. This stuck with me bc Kirby never stood up between the wavedashes, he just scooted backwards, while crouched, 4 times from one end of the spin attack, to the other.

I thought from then on that Kirby MUST have an advantage once someone is able to perfectly master his wavedash. But, I also thought that Kirby mains from before would already have done that...so what's different now...is Kirby's wavedash an integral part of his meta now?

(When I went to Evo 2014, I was the only Kirby there that I or any of my friends saw)

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Kirby does have an amazing crouch and wavedash in neutral. It is very different than how most characters play in the current meta. I would not say it's ground breaking because you still need to work your butt off to win with Kirby.

20XX doesn't really say much about the player mind and stuff. It's just an age of optimized decisions and movement. Even so, it only takes a smart player to beat a technical player. But blah blah, opions. haha

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I think Kirby can tech chase tech rolls on reaction no matter what character he's fighting against. If you dash in a direction and then immediately wavedash in [edit: that same] direction and grab, you get a boost in momentum that carries you very far in the direction that you want to go, and your grab reaches far enough that you will grab them immediately after your wavedash. Covering the techs in place and missed techs is that tricky part...

Last edited:

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
I think Kirby can tech chase tech rolls on reaction no matter what character he's fighting against. If you dash in a direction and then immediately wavedash in [edit: that same] direction and grab, you get a boost in momentum that carries you very far in the direction that you want to go, and your grab reaches far enough that you will grab them immediately after your wavedash. Covering the techs in place and missed techs is that tricky part...
That's true for most match ups. If you're playing against a Sheik or a Falco (characters with amazing techs options), they may roll too far.

You can still chase for the follow up d-tilt or read a grab, but those are super unsafe.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
Surging like a bolt of thunder, our numbers are going up with six new Kirbies in 2015!

Last edited:

Pigwig

Smash Rookie
I claim to main Kirby!

I'm located in Middlesbrough, England

Nice to see other Kirby mains and actual useful related content here :)

taz3141

Smash Rookie
Tag: taz3141
Name: Aidan
Rapid City, SD
Do not main Kirby but will pull it out in bracket against Falcon.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm genuinely interested in maining Melee Kirby. Don't give ****s about tier lists.

How do you find Melee locals? I really want to shine (no pun intended) in my area, since I don't know a reliable way to find Melee tournaments in my area.

Also I know the physics of Melee are drastically different compared to other games, so I know it'll take a lot of time for me to get used to the Melee physics.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

I played Melee in my friend's house for the first time as Kirby. Even though I had some fundamentals I didn't last long. I'll solo main him every chance I get to play.

(Might want to change my username too)
Tag: C0

Last edited by a moderator:

Pancake_Tree

Smash Rookie
Slippi.gg
CAKE#425
Switch FC
SW 3403 4621 1242
sup gamers,
My tag is Pancake, and Kirby is one of my mains.
I didn't find this thread until now (my b), but I began playing in 2017
I'm in good ol' Springfield, MO

Last edited:

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
You made it just in time for the annual update!

We'll include Deletedkirby, so that makes 3 new Kirbies for 2019 as we head into the next decade.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
^Ah, a fellow neighbor from "Smashboards, Internet"

And that means we have one new Kirby for 2020. Stay safe, everyone.

Top Bottom