• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King Reflects... (d3's favorite tournament memories)

Incoleo

Smash Cadet
NNID
incoleo
Hey all!! Inco here, mediocre dedede main and lurker extraordinaire!!

So, I'm writing a paper on Smash for one of my finals, and I need some help
I'm trying to collect as much info as I can on what makes Smash tournaments such great experiences, and I figure, what better way to do that than ask the coolest, most fun-loving smashers there are? (Winkwinknudgenudge it's the dededes)

So here's my question to you:
What's the best memory you have from when you entered a tournament?

It could be the first time you made it on stream, that match that you'll always remember, or even when you went 0-2 in your first tournament (because lbr, we all did that our first time). It could be literally anything, so long as it's about you and a tourney!!

So what do you guys say? Got any stories?

Last edited:

Sheep McLamb

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3368-3778-4498
I'm new too, but I don't think that your thread quite belongs here. This is "character discussion."
You might want to move your thread because it could be in danger of being locked, but I'll go ahead and tell you mine.
It was my first "tournament" ever that took place at my high school. We played Melee, and I absolutely dominated as the Ice Climbers and Luigi. Nobody knew what wobbling was (I only used it once, I swear!), but it was fun to wobble my opponent who was on his last stock in the finals. It wasn't the game itself, though, that was what I loved most. I enjoyed playing Melee, but it was a great experience to play around and hang out with friends and strangers. I even met a few friends (including my best friend) there.
I'm curious, though. Why would anyone ever want to write a paper on Smash? Er, good luck on your paper, though, I guess?

williamsga555

Smash Journeyman
Favorite tournament memory...I'm not sure I can give just one, to be honest, but three in particular come to mind:
  1. My first tournament. I came in expected to get destroyed, but ended up doing alright, placing 9th out of just under 50 entrants. It was fun just getting to play with so many new people, and was a really welcoming environment.
  2. My first proper time on commentary during a charity drive tournament we held. I was eliminated pretty early on, and there was a lack of others willing to jump in, so I was commentating for a solid few hours straight. It was a lot of fun, and people seemed to think I was doing a good job, so that was real nice.
  3. A set I lost 1-2 against a very strong Fox player in my region during our largest tournament to date (just under 75 entrants). Ended up going to a last-hit scenario in game 3 when I came in expecting to get pretty soundly bopped. Even with losing it was a really enjoyable experience.
I could go on, of course, but already I've tripled what I was supposed to share, so I'll leave it at that.

Incoleo

Smash Cadet
NNID
incoleo
I'm new too, but I don't think that your thread quite belongs here. This is "character discussion."
You might want to move your thread because it could be in danger of being locked, but I'll go ahead and tell you mine.
It was my first "tournament" ever that took place at my high school. We played Melee, and I absolutely dominated as the Ice Climbers and Luigi. Nobody knew what wobbling was (I only used it once, I swear!), but it was fun to wobble my opponent who was on his last stock in the finals. It wasn't the game itself, though, that was what I loved most. I enjoyed playing Melee, but it was a great experience to play around and hang out with friends and strangers. I even met a few friends (including my best friend) there.
I'm curious, though. Why would anyone ever want to write a paper on Smash? Er, good luck on your paper, though, I guess?
Ah!! Then uh..any ideas where I should move it? (this is my first time making a thread ehehe//)

But it's for a combined mythology/lit class, and so I figured if I could link it to something I enjoy, then 6-8 pages won't be nearly as daunting :'D (thanks for responding btw!!! These are gonna be WAY helpful making it not suck)

Sheep McLamb

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3368-3778-4498
Ah!! Then uh..any ideas where I should move it? (this is my first time making a thread ehehe//)

But it's for a combined mythology/lit class, and so I figured if I could link it to something I enjoy, then 6-8 pages won't be nearly as daunting :'D (thanks for responding btw!!! These are gonna be WAY helpful making it not suck)
I'm no expert on Smashboards. I'm new, too! Hopefully, someone with more experience on this site than me or a premium/moderator can tell you where this thread needs to be.

Interesting paper idea, mate. Make a creative and fun paper that will get you an A.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Interesting thread and paper concept! If you just want info from the Dedede mains, then this topic is fine here but should be renamed to reflect that. But if you want info from everyone, I can move the thread for you to the general boards. Just let me know.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I would like to give a top 3 if I may:

1. I once entered a doubles tournament with a guy I had never met, and he was honestly a pretty mediocre Luigi. However, our first opponents didn't show up in time so we got a free pass for round 1, then our opponents in round 2 were just objectively better than us, we lost game 1, took them to lylat game 2 and absolutely lylat'ed them out of that game, then game 3: My partner was already out. It was just me as Dedede versus both a Cloud and a Rosalina. They play safe for a while getting me above 100%, then both charge in. I jump. Cloud jumps after me while Rosa charges an U-smash below me. I footstool Cloud into Rosalina's fully charged U-smash, killing Cloud, then I FF Bair to kill Rosa and move on! And then we were in winner's finals! We got absolutely destroyed in winners and losers finals, but we ended up with 3rd place, and we each made $4 for a $1 profit each! That was my first time winning money in smash too.

2. My first tourney as well was somewhat respectable, but my first match in particular was absolutely amazing. I, a Dedede main that nobody had even heard of, was going to play Mr Navi, a well known Peach main who, while he doesn't win locals, is a very good player who often places very well. I make a close game 1 (but lose), and win game 2. By game 3, there is quite a respectable crowd behind us, talking about Dedede and wondering 'who is this kid?'. I end up losing the game but I made it really close. One B-air would have taken it. After that match multiple people came up to me and told me my Dedede was impressive. I was honestly expecting to go out 0-2, so hearing people say that to me after my first match was awesome!

3. After getting eliminated early from a doubles tourney, I, my girlfriend, and a friend named Grafcar (funny story, I originally met Grafcar online in my first online tourney, and had no idea he lived so close to me until that day! That was an awesome moment in itself) all snuck into the stream room, and just started doing commentary without permission. It was hilarious, and we were all not very good at commentary, but we were having a blast! When the stream owner finally came in, he was confused and asked "what are you doing?" I said "commentating", and he just laughed and left. He thought it was hilarious too, and was cool with it.

Last edited:

Sheep McLamb

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3368-3778-4498
Here's another fun tournament of mine. A friend persuaded me to join a small SSB4 tournament at my city's local library. It was small, and there weren't many people, so I got to play both singles and doubles with my friend. I actually managed to get first place in the singles bracket (with a $20 prize-there wasn't very much competition). I played as my main Kirby, and my favorite moment was when some young man played against me with a solid DK. His offensive skills were impressive, but he had trouble avoiding my attacks. He was on his last stock and I had two left. I wasn't really thinking about the match, but my friend yelled out "hammer him!" I got him offstage, and while he was recovering, I fully charged my hammer. It was hilarious to watch the crowd, which was full of both kids and adults, see me land the hammer on DK. My opponent even got a big laugh out of it, too.
Doubles were soon after, and our team proceeded to get destroyed. We barely scraped past the first round, but our loss in the round after was my fault because I was easily gimped after trying to recover low with Mega Man by a great Falcon, causing me to lose my last stock. I could do nothing more than watch my friend getting pummeled, but we were joking all the way through. The team that beat us won the doubles bracket in the end, and they were really fun to play with.

Incoleo

Smash Cadet
NNID
incoleo
Interesting thread and paper concept! If you just want info from the Dedede mains, then this topic is fine here but should be renamed to reflect that. But if you want info from everyone, I can move the thread for you to the general boards. Just let me know.
Thanks!! Tbh I'll probs get enough from here, so I'll change the name :'U
(besides, we've got some pretty good story tellers here so)

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
I'll join.

So, it was my first time at this one local, and I was determined to make an impact. But of course life throws curveballs - and the first round I'm pitted against one of the better C.Falcons in the MD/VA region. No joke, I lose not just one but two of my four stocks to his 2-frame'd Dair. GEEZ OK

So I'm mad salty, about to just leave early and pout in the car, but my girlfriend calls and talks me off the proverbial ledge. She doesn't seem to understand why I'm so mad about something I supposedly ENJOY, but hey it works. I stay.

And proceed to tear through loser's. Eight games in a row, 2-0, Dededestruction. Finally, loser's semis - and who else would it be but the same Falcon. But this time's different. This time, I beat him game 2, it goes to game 3. We're both at high %s, at the last stock...and he 2-frames me, again. BAH.

He then lost in grand finals to a legit Yoshi. So I got 3rd that day, and it was a happy L to hold.

Sheep McLamb

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3368-3778-4498
I'll join.

So, it was my first time at this one local, and I was determined to make an impact. But of course life throws curveballs - and the first round I'm pitted against one of the better C.Falcons in the MD/VA region. No joke, I not just one but two of my four stocks to his 2-frame'd Dair. GEEZ OK

So I'm mad salty, about to just leave early and pout in the car, but my girlfriend calls and talks me off the proverbial ledge. She doesn't seem to understand why I'm so mad about something I supposedly ENJOY, but hey it works. I stay.

And proceed to tear through loser's. Eight games in a row, 2-0, Dededestruction. Finally, loser's semis - and who else would it be but the same Falcon. But this time's different. This time, I beat him game 2, it goes to game 3. We're both at high %s, at the last stock...and he 2-frames me, again. BAH.

He then lost in grand finals to a legit Yoshi. So I got 3rd that day, and it was a happy L to hold.
I think it's interesting and really fun to watch someone who mains a low-tier. Of course, it helps if the person is good at the game.
I main Kirby, and I thought I was one of the cool kids for maining a lower-tier character. If maining Kirby makes me cool, then you must be the king of the playground!

Flawed

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheFlawedOne
First tournament experience was in NY somewhere upstate, can't remember. I was playing melee. Brawl didnt exist yet. I was striving to be the best Link who ever existed. I met M2k. I was destroyed by his fox. I never played Link again. T_T Continued playing in melee tournaments

First brawl tournament was in GA. Picked up the game 2012, got good. Went to a tournament. TRIPPED FOR THE FIRST TIME (you'd think that it would happen during all my practice, but no, I had never seen it before). Lost in round 2, and then in losers again. ( brawl career over only for fun )

First smash 4 tournament, went to an arcade called GX. Expected to go give my money to top player donation fund.
placed 5th out of 60 people. I was hype, I was amazed. Thats when I knew that I could be really good. And thats when I really fell in love with smash 4.

Incoleo

Smash Cadet
NNID
incoleo
Hey all!! So the paper's done, and I got my grade:

Thanks so much for helping out!! (I think I used Sheep McLamb Sheep McLamb , Soul Train Soul Train , and Muskrat Catcher Muskrat Catcher 's posts in my actual paper, and my prof actually commented on my "interviewing" players, so I think this helped a lot!!)

Edit: ACTUALLY I JUST REALIZED THIS PAPER GAVE ME AN A IN THE CLASS THANKS GUYS////

Last edited:

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Hey all!! So the paper's done, and I got my grade:

Thanks so much for helping out!! (I think I used Sheep McLamb Sheep McLamb , Soul Train Soul Train , and Muskrat Catcher Muskrat Catcher 's posts in my actual paper, and my prof actually commented on my "interviewing" players, so I think this helped a lot!!)

Edit: ACTUALLY I JUST REALIZED THIS PAPER GAVE ME AN A IN THE CLASS THANKS GUYS////
HEAR THAT DEDEDES. WE MADE REAL WORLD CHANGE HAPPEN. ONE GRADE AT A TIME @Endurrr @Girthquake

This is actually about the happiest thing I've read this week. Congrats, my friend! We're all glad to be of some help, even moreso for an arduous Finals paper. Any chance you'd be up for sharing it, perhaps with your name and such deleted or something?

Last edited:
Top Bottom