• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Knights - Saber Artoria for Smash Support Thread

Xphooni

Smash Apprentice
I love how shes number 80. Man did some people ever overshoot how many characters we were getting.

Artix

Smash Journeyman
I love how shes number 80. Man did some people ever overshoot how many characters we were getting.
Hey man. I created that image!

And yeah, I DID overshoot it. I mean, it's not like I know how many characters we're gonna get before it's release (excluding DLC of course), so I go with the number 80 just for the randomness.

KarneraMythos

Smash Champion
I'm wondering whether they're going to make her Strike Air attack a Neutral Special or a Final Smash.

In some games like Fate/unlimited Codes and Nitroplus Blasterz, Strike Air is treated as a super move. Ryu & Ken had their respective super moves as their Final Smash, so are they gonna do the same to Saber's Strike Air?
I highly doubt it considering Ken & Ryu's gimmicks. Arturia would likely get Excalibur and strike a beam of light ahead of her. Strike Air could be used in two different ways. Perhaps have it mapped to Side B with the ability to influence its trajectory? For example, you can charge it and unleash a blast of wind in front which covers a great amount of distance ahead of her, but the longer you charge it, the greater the recovery on her. I'm pretty much saying this since windboxes can be terribly-busted if Donkey Kong's Kong Cyclone is anything to go by. It'd also be fairly-narrow so it doesn't do something dumb like send someone to their death right away at a paltry percentage, especially from below when they're trying to recover to the stage. It's more of a damaging move anyway, but the sour-spot of the move could be unintentionally-jank if balanced wrong.

The alternative motion for Strike Air could be charging it, then pressing the opposite direction of the button you pressed initially (Left B -> Right and vice versa). Doing so would make launch her ahead instead, kind of like Ike's Quick Draw in a way, with a bit of Captain Falcon's Falcon Kick (but with a stream of concentrated air behind her).

D

Deleted member

People get worried about windboxes but I'm the one who got carried away when thinking of a moveset. Realistically, most of her wind moves would multi-hit moves with one or two actually having windboxes.

Sysmek

Smash Apprentice
I'm wondering whether they're going to make her Strike Air attack a Neutral Special or a Final Smash.

In some games like Fate/unlimited Codes and Nitroplus Blasterz, Strike Air is treated as a super move. Ryu & Ken had their respective super moves as their Final Smash, so are they gonna do the same to Saber's Strike Air?
Maybe theyd give her two Final Smashes? I doubt it but itd be pretty sick

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
Maybe theyd give her two Final Smashes? I doubt it but itd be pretty sick
That would be pretty cool indeed.

Unlike Ryu and Ken, where it's based on distance between you and your opponent, Saber would be based whether her sword is invisible or not. If the sword is invisible, then Strike Air will be her Final Smash. Otherwise, she will get Excalibur as her Final Smash.

yonishi

Smash Rookie
I'd love to see a fate rep in smash, and I think saber is perfect. Even though the chances of it happening are, unfortunately, pretty low.

yonishi

Smash Rookie
welp. with joker from persona in smash, saber might actually have a chance boys.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord
welp. with joker from persona in smash, saber might actually have a chance boys.
Indeed, if I heard him correctly Reggie said all the Fighters Pass would be from new series not seen in Smash yet. And Fate is absolutely viable now, on top of every insider being wrong about who the TGA character reveal would be.

We're back on the wild ride folks, let's keep pushing for our favourite Servant!

Sysmek

Smash Apprentice
Indeed, if I heard him correctly Reggie said all the Fighters Pass would be from new series not seen in Smash yet. And Fate is absolutely viable now, on top of every insider being wrong about who the TGA character reveal would be.

We're back on the wild ride folks, let's keep pushing for our favourite Servant!
Indeed, he also said that each fighter will be similar to Joker in the sense of most people wouldn't expect to see them in Smash

I think she's coming
3b5932a2433b162301692d3bcd1a7da4.jpg

Artix

Smash Journeyman
Oh boy, I can't wait to see her announced in Smash Ultimate!

If Joker made it in, then Saber can as well. Let's keep it up, you guys!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I think Saber might have a real shot, with the surprise statement from Reggie. IDK if visual novels is something Sakurai will wanna represent through character, but if there was one, I think it would be Saber.

Sysmek

Smash Apprentice
I think Saber might have a real shot, with the surprise statement from Reggie. IDK if visual novels is something Sakurai will wanna represent through character, but if there was one, I think it would be Saber.
Sakurai has brought them up before. He was talking about different video game genre's and mentioned Steins;Gate, which is a Visual Novel. Also, Nintendo is picking the DLC this time so who knows

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
Joker's inclusion in Smash really opened up some possibilities for Saber to be in Smash. And that's actually a good thing, considering Persona had little to no connection to Nintendo, just like Fate.

I think we're on the roll right now, and considering that Fate is still popular, I think Saber being in Smash is gonna happen at some point.

Sysmek

Smash Apprentice
Came across this when searching for Fate's overall game sales, and I thought this was interesting.

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Best_selling_game_franchises

View attachment 182132View attachment 182133

Half of these are video games. I find it interesting that they made this much profit out of the 2004 game.

I wonder what would $1.43 billion convert to in game retailer price and sales.
Thats not for the original Visual Novel, its an outdated price of the Fate franchise itself. Fate/Grand Order since then has made over 2 billion dollars, rather than 982 million. IIRC the worth of the franchise is somewhere around 2.8 billion now

Artix

Smash Journeyman
I wonder what Saber's Classic Mode would be like?

I imagine her theme in Classic Mode would either involve characters with similar abilites to a Servant in /stay night (like Pit for Archer, purple Zelda for Caster) or her fighting against other kings (Bowser, King Dedede, King K. Rool).

D

Deleted member

I wonder what Saber's Classic Mode would be like?

I imagine her theme in Classic Mode would either involve characters with similar abilites to a Servant in /stay night (like Pit for Archer, purple Zelda for Caster) or her fighting against other kings (Bowser, King Dedede, King K. Rool).
Oooh I didn't consider a King-based Classic. In that case, she'd also fight Marth, Ganondorf and DK(King of the Jungle).

Though I like the idea of her fights all being with characters that would fit the FSN Servants
Dark Pit for Archer
Robin for Caster
Greninja for Assassin
Ganondorf for Berserker
Bayonetta for Rider
Lancer is no one because he's already dead once the mode starts Smash refuses to add Lance users

But who'd be Gilgamesh?

D

Deleted member

I know this is an Artoria thread, but I have a feeling Nero might be legitimate competition if it came to a Fate series character.

And since they're both "Saber", I feel the thread could be used for both. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Artix

Smash Journeyman
I know this is an Artoria thread, but I have a feeling Nero might be legitimate competition if it came to a Fate series character.

I actually wouldn't mind if Nero made it in instead of Artoria. She's pretty much the star of Fate/Extella (which is on the Nintendo Switch, she's even on the front cover) and has a more accurate video game origin than Artoria. But I think Artoria would sell more as a DLC Fighter than Nero due to her massive popularity.

Again, I wouldn't mind if Nero made it in Smash instead of Artoria. If only the Fighter's Pass are allowed to have an Echo Fighter, we would have gotten both Artoria and Nero, but unfortunately, that ain't happening...

PapillonXtreme

Smash Apprentice
I actually wouldn't mind if Nero made it in instead of Artoria. She's pretty much the star of Fate/Extella (which is on the Nintendo Switch, she's even on the front cover) and has a more accurate video game origin than Artoria. But I think Artoria would sell more as a DLC Fighter than Nero due to her massive popularity.

Again, I wouldn't mind if Nero made it in Smash instead of Artoria. If only the Fighter's Pass are allowed to have an Echo Fighter, we would have gotten both Artoria and Nero, but unfortunately, that ain't happening...
Another thing Artoria has going for is the 15th anniversary of the Fate franchise next year, which is 9 days after Smash Bros.' 20th anniversary. If there's going to be a Nintendo Direct in January, I think it's a perfect opportunity to announce Saber as the second DLC Fighter in Smash Ultimate.

D

Deleted member

No Fear

"Nero instead of Artoria"
One Fear

Not to hate on Nero but Artoria is the reason I even got into Fate in the first place as I'm a big King Arthur nerd. And yeah, not gonna lie, I don't like Nero's character much, at most as a meme but Extella nor Rome sold me on her character.
If we were still getting Echoes though, I feel like she would be a good choice as, at their basic, theh're both fast sword users with elemental attacks. Just replace the wind with fire and bam.

Artix

Smash Journeyman
If we do get Saber I hope we also get a Saber Alter echo fighter.
Unfortunately, the Fighter's Pass does not allow Echo Fighters, so if we're getting Saber, we're only getting Saber, alongside a stage and some music from Fate/stay night.

But maybe they're going to put Saber Alter as an alt for Saber. It's much better that way.

Sysmek

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, the Fighter's Pass does not allow Echo Fighters, so if we're getting Saber, we're only getting Saber, alongside a stage and some music from Fate/stay night.

But maybe they're going to put Saber Alter as an alt for Saber. It's much better that way.
If they do im gonna be lowkey salty that Evil Ryu and Violent Ken arent alts but its whatever

Also, I hope that if they do that they reskin her sword to be Excalibur Morgan instead of Excalibur. Itd be kinda bootleg being Saber Alter but using Excalibur with all of its Golden Glory lol

D

Deleted member

If they do im gonna be lowkey salty that Evil Ryu and Violent Ken arent alts but its whatever

Also, I hope that if they do that they reskin her sword to be Excalibur Morgan instead of Excalibur. Itd be kinda bootleg being Saber Alter but using Excalibur with all of its Golden Glory lol
Doesn't Ken have a Violent Ken alt tho?

But at least with those two, they already have a bunch of recolors to base off, Saber wouldn't have many.
As for what they could use though:
1-Default Saber
2-Saber Nero(Red recolor, Excalibur also turns red)
3-Saber Lily(White recolor)
4-Saber of Red(Silver with red details recolor)
5-Saber Alter(Black recolor, Excalibur turns black)
6-Casual Wear(civilian costume from FSN)
7-Zero Suit(heh, get it? Civilian costume from FZ)
8-Mysterious Heroine X(costume from FGO)

Artix

Smash Journeyman

Yeah, I was disappointed by that too. If Link can have his Dark Link alt, then why not Ryu and Ken?

Eternal Wanderer

Smash Rookie

I don't really think its likely but a guy can dream.

TyrantLizardKing

Smash Lord

Made this mockup some time ago, I feel Nero would be the best pick for a Simon & Richter scenario where Arturia brings an Echo with her.
Saber & Nero CS (cropped).png

D

Deleted member

the problem is that too many characters could be Saber's Echo which is why we need MHX to fix this issue

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
If the character wasn't Saber from Fate wouldn't it be Archer, Emiya, or Rin? I'd say those are the four most recognizable characters from the series. I mention them as well just in case Sakurai doesn't want a new sword user.

It may be the bias talking, but I really think a Fate character has a legitimate chance.

Last edited:

Sysmek

Smash Apprentice
If the character wasn't Saber from Fate wouldn't it be Archer, Emiya, or Rin? I'd say those are the four most recognizable characters from the series. I mention them as well just in case Sakurai doesn't want a new sword user.

It may be the bias talking, but I really think a Fate character has a legitimate chance.
I'd be totally okay with Archer, Shirou, and or Rin getting in. Also, I would say that Gilgamesh is more recognizable than Shirou but yeah

Also, I don't think Sakurai has any problem with there being more Sword users. I mean, Chrom kinda exists lol

D

Deleted member

Saber makes the most sense because while she isn't the protagonist, she is the Pikachu of Fate and has constantly appeared in other works ever since.
Shirou would be neat as there's a lot you could do with him and, man, can you imagine that Final Smash? Though he'd NEED an Archer Echo Fighter.
but he kinda doesn't fix the issues swordphobes have tho

Sysmek

Smash Apprentice
Saber makes the most sense because while she isn't the protagonist, she is the Pikachu of Fate and has constantly appeared in other works ever since.
Shirou would be neat as there's a lot you could do with him and, man, can you imagine that Final Smash? Though he'd NEED an Archer Echo Fighter.
but he kinda doesn't fix the issues swordphobes have tho
I mean he shoots swords
Makes swords out of thin air
Copies swords
And has an infinite dimension full of swords

So yeah. He'd be extremely unique though, especially if they gave him a mechanic where he could copy the opponent's weapon. Plus he'd be a dual wielder, and a bowman at the same time. Also that FS would literally be the best in the entire game. The theme song playing in the background while the chant is going on... if they add them instead of Saber I wouldn't even be mad. I mean just imagine something like this but in Ultimate

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I mean he shoots swords
Makes swords out of thin air
Copies swords
And has an infinite dimension full of swords

So yeah. He'd be extremely unique though, especially if they gave him a mechanic where he could copy the opponent's weapon. Plus he'd be a dual wielder, and a bowman at the same time. Also that FS would literally be the best in the entire game. The theme song playing in the background while the chant is going on... if they add them instead of Saber I wouldn't even be mad. I mean just imagine something like this but in Ultimate

I mean yeah, but that's still all swords. Swordphobes wouodn't like that.

Oh, OH
I just had an idea:
Shirou/Archer get in but they use all the other fighters' weapons. Kinda like his NP in Extella where he uses Excalibur Galantine, Aestus Estus and Gae Bolg.

Sysmek

Smash Apprentice
I mean yeah, but that's still all swords. Swordphobes wouodn't like that.

Oh, OH
I just had an idea:
Shirou/Archer get in but they use all the other fighters' weapons. Kinda like his NP in Extella where he uses Excalibur Galantine, Aestus Estus and Gae Bolg.
Mmhm, Trace on!

Of course they'd still have to use Kanshou and Bakuya. BTW imagine if when you shot a weapon out of your Bow it had a chance to be a random weapon being used in the game. That'd be pretty freakin cool. Also, (this is getting a little crazy) when they project weapons they inherit the weapons original user's abilities. So imagine if your like idk down-b would be Trace on! And whenever you do it it gives you the weapon of a random person currently in the game, and similar to Kirby your playstyle changes a bit because you now have their moves.

unknown.png
Screenshot_15.png
unknown (1).png

Artix

Smash Journeyman

I highly doubt they would ever go after a protagonist over a mascot, especially if that mascot is more popular. Besides, Sakurai has no problem adding another swordfighter in Smash. I mean, we have Roy, Cloud and Corrin in the last game as DLC and in Ultimate, we have Chrom. Why not add one more?

Last edited:
Top Bottom