• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Iron Fist - Heihachi Mishima

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Well, nothing happened. And I doubt anything else will happen for the rest of EVO. So, that's not surprising.

So time to wait for the next Direct. lol

Anyway, I was thinking of stages. I'm wondering how they'd incorporate a Tekken stage into Smash. Like, the one i'd expect is the Mishima Zaibatsu building from the beginning of Tekken 7's story mode. Have the elevator and use broken debris as platforms.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Anyway, I was thinking of stages. I'm wondering how they'd incorporate a Tekken stage into Smash. Like, the one i'd expect is the Mishima Zaibatsu building from the beginning of Tekken 7's story mode. Have the elevator and use broken debris as platforms.
I can see us getting a tekken stage with multiple levels akin to castle siege but maybe with breakable floors that force the transition instead of it being centered around time.

Gemini-Gene

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Fairlight92
Switch FC
SW 7459 3215 2216
I'd love to be added to the supporters list. I hope Sakurai includes "Dad of the Year" to Smash Ultimate this time around. I was thinking about what his Final Smash would be besides the Rage Art and the Rocket (which would be amazing). What if Heihachi's final smash was him picking up his unconscious opponent and dramatically dropping him or her into a volcano? The final smash would just be a faster version his ending scene in T2. The final smash would be a nice through back to when he did this to Kazuya in T2. The camera then zooms in on his smug face while he's escaping on a helicopter, and maybe a volcano eruption while this happens just to make the moment better.

Last edited:

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
If we get a trekken fighter not a lot of support for her but my support would go to Nina

I'd love to be added to the supporters list. I hope Sakurai includes "Dad of the Year" to Smash Ultimate this time around. I was thinking about what his Final Smash would be besides the Rage Art and the Rocket (which would be amazing). What if Heihachi's final smash was him picking up his unconscious opponent and dramatically dropping him or her off of a cliff or into a volcano? It's a nice through back to when he did this to Kazuya during T1 and T2. The camera then zooms in on his face, showing a smug Heihachi grin after he dramatically drops you.
I would say tie them to a rocket ship

I must say this though I love Heihaci’s style of getting things done so I don’t hate the character

Okay a part of me wants him in but Agumon eh

Last edited:

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I can see us getting a tekken stage with multiple levels akin to castle siege but maybe with breakable floors that force the transition instead of it being centered around time.
That could work. Have it be in the temple where Heihachi betrayed Jin in Tekken 3.

I'd also take the volcano stage from Tekken 7 for this idea.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
So an interesting thing happened EVO 2018:

Honestly, I have done so many in-depth analyses on Heihachi possibly being in Smash, but I could never find a solution to making him work gameplay wise. Truth be told, I never done much research and quickly dismissed him just because it was hard for me to figure out how to put Tekken mechanics to Smash. I am not a hardcore fighting game fan to really understand that kind of stuff. If he ends up being revealed, I will have underestimated Sakurai a second time when it comes to "impossible matters" like Konami and Ridley. Right now, I am the most wary of this character because of the above tweet. Personally, I would not mind his inclusion, though I would be a bit salty because now I believe he is arguably an easy choice to predict like Chorus Kids and Isabelle, and I do not have him present in my predictions that I finalized in June/July. I shall never underestimate Sakurai's will again if it happens. ;_;

Last edited:

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
BluePikmin11 BluePikmin11 what does make the Chorus Kids easy to predict at this time?

Also, Heihachi is perhaps one of the greatest choices for a new third party. Not only because Namco is involved with the game, but because Smash is a celebration of video games, as well as Nintendo's lenghty history too. Heihachi does not just represent Tekken, or Namco for a second rep, no, Heihachi my friend, he represents the whole 3D aspect of fighting games in their entirity.

No other character is as iconic as the old man, when it comes to 3D fighting games! He is an iconic looking character, been easily ported into crossovers before not even about fighting, like Golf and Party Games amongst others. He's moveset is pretty recognizable, and he'd be the first "old guy" in Smash. Also, a fun part is how he is neither a villain or a hero. He is very much inbetween thanks to the gracefully explanations of Tekken 7, hehe.

So, I'd be pretty down if Heihachi were to become playable. He also achieved a Mii Costume, while also a shoutout form Sakurai himself, who is known for changing his mind.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Well, the main reason I think Chorus Kids are an easy to predict newcomer this time is because of the 3DS limitations no longer restricting duo characters like Ice Climbers from Smash Ultimate. I see Sakurai planning them again, bringing back the CK moveset concept he made possibly during Smash 4's planning phase to implement them in Ultimate this time.

Burigu

Smash Ace
So an interesting thing happened EVO 2018:

Honestly, I have done so many in-depth analyses on Heihachi possibly being in Smash, but I could never find a solution to making him work gameplay wise. Truth be told, I never done much research and quickly dismissed him just because it was hard for me to figure out how to put Tekken mechanics to Smash. I am not a hardcore fighting game fan to really understand that kind of stuff. If he ends up being revealed, I will have underestimated Sakurai a second time when it comes to "impossible matters" like Konami and Ridley. Right now, I am the most wary of this character because of the above tweet. Personally, I would not mind his inclusion, though I would be a bit salty because now I believe he is arguably an easy choice to predict like Chorus Kids and Isabelle, and I do not have him present in my predictions that I finalized in June/July. I shall never underestimate Sakurai's will again if it happens. ;_;
Someone repoted on Ashley's thread that the stage has had the same date since last year, I can't confirm this

Darktheumbreon

Smash Ace
NNID
darkkirby7
3DS FC
2921-9577-5424
So...the direct on the 8th...on the 8th month....doesn't the hachi part of heihachi mean 8? I gotta feeling something BIG is happening.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So what does the August 8th thing even mean then if it's been there for a year?

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
While I've never played a Tekken game for myself, I did get to experience the Project X Zone series and I liked Heihachi's character a lot. He was twisted and had a lot of snide and cruel remarks. The story surrounding him and his family seems to really emphasize that, too.

I know Sakurai and a few others here have seen trouble in the past implementing a full "Tekken style" moveset for Heihachi, but Sakurai has overcome very similar problems before. He's a sleeper pick for the base game, and I'd like to be added to his support list.

Really want him to at least have his younger version as an option!

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I just had the most hilarious thought: Tekken 7 is opening itself up to a hell of a lot off cross promotion. If Heihachi makes it into Smash then Tekken could get someone in return. While I find it hilarious to think of the realistic interpretations of the Mario bros making an entrance, the more possible (not actually going to happen but more likely than Mario) character who could fit into the art style easier would be Captain Falcon.

Imagine Falcon Punching in Tekken, the Knee of Justice working like a hop kick or Raptor Boost wall combos

Takasmash

Smash Ace
Honestyl I think August 8 could be anything but I dont think its related smash I'l be happy to be wrong.

Last edited:

Siggy88

Smash Apprentice
You know what? Hell yeah, sign me up for Heihachi. I mean, it may all be fake, and that EVO date may just be just a ruse, but I would be all over for it if it was true. Think of all the hype music he could bring with him!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyshPjfUaKQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aZQrzjxu5w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlSkIzTJ9UY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClvzNSejzXw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEwRbFz5lrY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgftilG_k-w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJSZqpMU0IQ

And that's just tip of the iceberg.

Last edited:

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
I'd argue that Heihachi is more badass in general. He is like an epitome of human peak condition without having an active devil gene.

If there is to be a Tekken Newcomer, it should definately be him. I'd also really like Nightmare and I do think the latter might bring some interesting stuff to the game, not to mention that SC is getting an "everyone is here" kind of game(though I'll probably still have to weep for Hwang, Li Long and Rock not being included, because project Soul is pretending Soul Edge doesn't exist.)

But I am definately supporting both of them, both are really Iconic towards their franchises. Another possibility could be a double representation in the form of Yoshimitsu, but I fear he isn't iconic enough in that regard.

But old Heihachi please. Tekken Tag Tournament 2 is my favourite Tekken and I still hate that I can't play old man Heihachi with everyone returning.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Can anyone explain why Heihachi is the talked about character instead of Kazuya (who‘s at least 3 times more badass)?
1. He was actually considered for Smash before.

2. He’s Namco’s crossover character for Tekken.

3. He’s the mascot of the franchise at this point.

4. He’s appeared in a game similar to Smash so he has a base idea to build off of.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I never knew badassary was a factor for a playable role in smash...
But badassery correlates with popularity.

Other points by other posters are fair enough. But I disagree that Heihachi is any more a mascot of the series than Kazuya.
Kazuya is the centrepiece to more box arts than Heihachi. Probs cause of his badassery.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Can anyone explain why Heihachi is the talked about character instead of Kazuya (who‘s at least 3 times more badass)?
I just got a hunch you have not played Tekken as a series.
Kazuya is cool and all, but Heihachi IS the badass in Tekken.

Kazuya was not part of Tekken 3. Jin did not debut until Tekken 3.
Heihachi was in everyone, and Tekken 7's story mode is incredible. He is both the hero, and the villain.
KAZUYA uses the power of a bloody devil ... Heihachi? He is just bloody badass alone.

RIP Unsho, young and current old Heihachi.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
RIP Unsho Ishizuka

He was a great voice actor with many great roles such as Heihachi Mishima, Professor Oak, Hercule, Mr. Satan, Kizaru, Jet Black, and Old Joseph.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Wanted to drop in to offer my condolences to the fans of Heihachi’s VO, Unsho Ishizuka.

Cancer is a *****, no matter what kind. RIP

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Heihachi has been in every Tekken game, making him one of four characters to do so (the others are Nina Williams, Paul Phoenix, and Yoshimitsu). It also helps that he was considered for Smash 4.

EDIT: I just saw this video, which does a good job explaining why Heihachi seems to stand a good chance of getting into Smash Bros.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Oh that video is very good. I didn't think people thought he'd be a clone of Ryu though. Strange.
I don't know about a clone of Ryu, but I have seen people say that he'd be redundant/pointless because Ryu's already in the game, which is a similar sentiment.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
More I think about this guy, more I think he'll be in if we're getting another third party. He has everything going for him.

I'll break it down

-Tekken is one of the biggest third party franchises not yet represented, and is pretty much known and popular across the world. Sales-wise, it's more successful than more than half of the current represented franchisees, only actually beat by 3, being Final Fantasy, Sonic and Metal Gear Solid. (Yes, it beats out Street Fighter, Pac Man and even Smash itself.) Heck the official Pokemon fighting game owes so much to it.
-He's straight up an icon. When people think Tekken he's right there with Jin and Kazuya, and he's usually the pick for crossovers.
-Sakurai already considered him, potentially even over Pac Man. Pac Man was a competition and he was hard to implement, the former however isn't an issue anymore and as for the latter...
-I don't think it's much of an issue anymore. Ryu introduced mechanics that could easily help translate Heihachi better into Smash. Command inputs, light/hard presses and the new 1v1 mechanic all benefit Heihachi significantly.
-He doesn't have much competition going against him. The only bigger Japanese franchises yet to be represented in Smash are Monster Hunter, Resident Evil, and Dragon Quest. Monster Hunter is getting representation without a character and Resident Evil is probably too grotesque for Smash, and Dragon Quest while technically more successful is mostly just huge in Japan and doesn't have the same global appeal Tekken does, and also doesn't have a character that's particularly iconic enough to match up to Heihachi. (I'm saying this thinking we're getting a Dragon Quest character, I don't think it's even an either or thing. I have so many reasons to believe we're getting both a Square and Namco rep.)
-From Bamco's side..it's not a competition. Tekken blows Soul Calbur, Tales of and what have you. Heihachi is pretty much their most recognizable character after Pac Man on the video games side.
-I don't think him not being in the August direct is a knock against at all. Smash's reveal schedule historically never made sense, and I doubt the direct was even made for EVO in mind, and the announcement was just a nice gesture since they were close anyway. Moreover, pretty much everyone's expecting a Ken echo even though that applies to him, too anyway.
-He's already crossed over with Nintendo chars one way or another, along with Ryu and Mega Man! He'd be right at home.

He'd be so fun too! Has the potential to be the most technical character in the game, between having his crouch dash (and wavedashing through that, he's the OG wavedasher!), just frames, strings, rebounds and what have you. Make no mistake, as far as moveset potential and offering a new experience goes, Heihachi has it in the bag.

I really think he's happening.

(also maybe he can bring along Kazuya, as an echo?)

Last edited:

Soulsaint

Smash Apprentice
And even part of his moveset crossed over in a game somewhat (Pikachu in Pokken cracks me up everytime when he mimics Heihachi)

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Yeah I still have high hope for Heihachi.

The only thing that really seems to be an obstacle is that he isn´t that much of a favorite and that he for sure didn´t rank high in the ballot

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
As long as Old (the real) Heihachi is default, then I'll be overexstatic over his inclusion!
Tekken is my favourite fighting game, and I've stated it plenty of times, but I really dislike "Young" Heihachi.

Top Bottom