• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Iron First Tournament - Tekken Representative Discussion Thread

Which of the three do you prefer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rangez

Dimensional Dile-Up

Hello there! This thread is specifically made for any discussion/conversation regarding a potential newcomer from the iconic Tekken series of 3D fighting games for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, as a lot of talk has been made from the Heihachi Mii Costume back in Smash for 3DS/Wii U, some fans thinking & speculating of a second Bandai-Namco IP to be added in alongside PAC-MAN, and the fact that the company has been co-developing with Nintendo & Sora Ltd with this entry and Smash for 3DS/Wii U. My personal choice would have to be Jin Kazama: the son of Kazuya Mishima & grandson of Heihachi. Not only is he a consistent mainstay of the series (first debuting in Tekken 3 and would go on to appear in almost every new entry going forward), but he also serves as the series' main protagonist with Jin's storyline being to completely end off the Mishima bloodline and often save the world from the likes of Ogre and Jinpachi, but the other two candidates for the spot are Kazuya and Heihachi (who is the well-known out of the three and is said to be the more likely pick amongst discussion threads).

Last edited:

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I’m in! We gotta spread this thread around! You know which Tekken music that I want in Smash, whether they’d be originals or new remixes or both? Fiji, Chicago, Jin Kazama’s Theme, School (Tekken Tag Tournament), Yoshimitsu (Head Shaker), Michelle Chang (Nobody Catch Me), Black Winter Night Sky (Tekken 2), Kazuya Mishima’s Theme (Tekken 2), Devil’s/Angel’s Theme (Tekken 2), Piano Intro (Tekken Tag Tournament), etc./the list goes on. Which Tekken music do you want in Smash, whether they’d be originals or new remixes or both? BTW In case you’re interested, I made a petition to remaster/remake Tekken 1, Tekken 2, Tekken 3, and Tekken Tag Tournament 1, which I’m also trying to spread around. Here it is: https://www.change.org/p/katsuhiro-...-2-3-and-tag-tournament-1-for-arcades-and-ps4

BTW In case you’re interested, I made a petition to remaster/remake Tekken 1, Tekken 2, Tekken 3, and Tekken Tag Tournament 1, which I’m also trying to spread around. Here it is: https://www.change.org/p/katsuhiro-...-2-3-and-tag-tournament-1-for-arcades-and-ps4
I think I might need help to do so. A LOT of help. BTW I also think Yoshimitsu should be playable in Smash too. And they should use his design from Tekken 3/Tag Tournament 1.

Last edited:

Flik

Smash Journeyman
On one hand, I honestly wish they'd finally retire Heihachi, especially now that he's dead for good and either Kazuya or Jin in Smash would show that the series is serious about moving forward with the story. Plus, his voice actor passed away. Again (RIP Ishizuka and Gori). On the other hand, I'd be all in if he comes with his Tekken 2 voice actor (Banjo Ginga) :upsidedown:

But still, I'd rather see either Jin or Kazuya (more Kazuya than Jin). Their devil powers (something Heihachi doesn't have) would be interesting to see in a game they can freely fly, shoot laser and stuff.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm less interested in which character, and more interest in HOW the character will--

Sakurai went on record in the past of saying the 3D planes made the character unlikely? I could be butchering that quotation. Anyway, my point is not that a Tekken chararacter couldn't work- I actually would be interested in what from the series would be most unique as a fighting game character. If it was button Combos for RYU, what from Tekken could be added, specifically?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Bump: Any other Tekken fans?
I'm honestly quite curious about the question I posed above; what mechanics could a Tekken fighter bring to the table that represent the series as a whole?

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
I’ll take Jin as the Tekken rep since Heihachi’s VA passed away. He’s doing great as the mascot of the series so he’s undoubtedly fit for Smash. I guess we can take inspiration for his Smash playstyle from SFxT, since that game plays on a 2D plane. I’ve never played it tho, but it’s a start.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Maybe I don't understand Tekken- it never felt like it was on a 3D plane.
Or maybe I just misunderstand what Sakurai and Orlando BCN Orlando BCN Mean

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Sakurai most likely had trouble due to Tekken's heavy emphasis on juggling as well as vast combo potential by having buttons for your left and right limbs. There are still crazy combos the Tekken characters can do in SFxT, so they'd need to tone down the knockback in Smash in order for them to actually work.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
@
Sakurai most likely had trouble due to Tekken's heavy emphasis on juggling as well as vast combo potential by having buttons for your left and right limbs. There are still crazy combos the Tekken characters can do in SFxT, so they'd need to tone down the knockback in Smash in order for them to actually work.
I appreciate the response, but I still don't understand.
1- What did any of that have to do with being a 3D fighting game?
2- Bayonetta was in Smash 4

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
1- What did any of that have to do with being a 3D fighting game?
The Tekken physics and gameplay are drastically different compared to 2D fighters; that's why I pulled up SFxT as an example. The Tekken characters have SF inputs in that game for special moves, though I doubt Sakurai would implement that for Smash. In any case, they restricted Tekken characters from their native playing field by putting them in a 2D fighting game, so naturally there were to be significant changes to how they played.

2- Bayonetta was in Smash 4
Bayonetta isn't a fighting game character and they only gave combos to her side tilt and fair.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
My only take away from this is that somehow physics and combos make the game "3D."

Gunman1357

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Gunman1357
If you ever played steve fox, or just got pretty good at tekken, the 3d aspect of it is the arena, and side stepping. Side stepping to the left or the right to your opponent at the right time is very impotent. As you can get a free launcher into combos, or you could get a very strong punish. Well the Arena's Walls, Rails, and Floors, have the possibility of breaking depending on the terrain. Forcing or tricking your opponent into those places, can lead to massive damage.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If you ever played steve fox, or just got pretty good at tekken, the 3d aspect of it is the arena, and side stepping. Side stepping to the left or the right to your opponent at the right time is very impotent. As you can get a free launcher into combos, or you could get a very strong punish. Well the Arena's Walls, Rails, and Floors, have the possibility of breaking depending on the terrain. Forcing or tricking your opponent into those places, can lead to massive damage.
So...
I think that could easily be a unique style gimmick for Heihachi. Finally I do understand what you mean.
give a Final Smash that like animation on the Tekken Stage (available to all players. Maybe even the Final Smash of each character turns into this animation). Unique stage gimmick.

merchantofsalt

Smash Apprentice
I'd love to see Heihachi in Smash, he's such a funny character. We have a lack of silly old people in the roster. The passing of his VA and the fact that I struggle to come up with an appropriate Up-Special for him are points against him. Jin doesn't have those issues.

As for what unique mechanic could a Tekken character bring to the table, they could capitalize on Tekken 7's Rage system. At a certain damage percentage, the character becomes capable of using a high-damage special move that leaves them open if it fails.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'd love to see Heihachi in Smash, he's such a funny character. We have a lack of silly old people in the roster. The passing of his VA and the fact that I struggle to come up with an appropriate Up-Special for him are points against him. Jin doesn't have those issues.

As for what unique mechanic could a Tekken character bring to the table, they could capitalize on Tekken 7's Rage system. At a certain damage percentage, the character becomes capable of using a high-damage special move that leaves them open if it fails.
I think the passing of the VA could be a point in FAVOR of Heihachi, if there are recordings that already exist that could work for Smash, then Sakurai may even more greatly want to choose Heihachi to honor the character and the artist.

Then again. We don't have Balloon Fighter yet.

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
I know this is a long shot but I want King to be in Smash or at least make him Incineroar's echo fighter with a few differences since they are both wrestlers and add either Jin or Kazuya that way they'll be 2 bandai-namco reps alongside Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Well, I posted in the Heihachi thread, but after Tekken 7 the old man has finally climbed the ranks as one of my most-wanted. I'll have to update my signature soon!

Of course, my main is Alisa and we all know that will never happen. Can't say I wouldn't be over-the-moon if it did, though.

Top Bottom