• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Fighters - Kyo for Smash! (Game Over! Maybe Next Time?)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Something I just thought about: I do believe that one of the remaining DLCs will be from a fighting game... but if a character does, per chance, get announced at EVO and it's not from a fighting game... do you guys think that fighting game characters (like Kyo) would be hurt by that?
It would be odd to reveal a non fighting game character at EVO, though I don't think it'd hurt the chances of someone like Kyo too much.

One thing I will say is that I don't see us getting more than one fighting game character for this wave, especially if they utilize the facing towards the opponent gimmick that Ryu/Ken have. With that said, if we get someone like Heihachi then I think its pretty much over for Kyo or any other SNK character. I wouldn't mind Heihachi too much though that is one of the biggest things holding me back from supporting him all the way.

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So, SamSho Season 2 and KOF XV officially announced.

No news on crossovers, but hey, SNK is back on the spotlight, if you couldn't tell by the crowd reaction.

As far as icons and Smash are concerned, it's what matters.

EDIT: OH **** I SPOKE TOO EARLY

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The second season of SamSho is amazing news on its own but I totally wasn't expecting them to announce KoF XV at EVO.

And with Haohmaru being in SC6 we have yet another amazing SNK crossover. In terms of recent fighting game crossovers that SNK has done, so far we have...
  • Terry in EX Fighting Layer
  • Geese in Tekken 7
  • Iori in Million Arthur Arcana Blood
  • Mai in Dead or Alive 5 (and 6)
  • Kula in Dead or Alive 6
  • Haohmaru in Soul Caliber 6
Really makes you wonder if they're saving Kyo for something...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The second season of SamSho is amazing news on its own but I totally wasn't expecting them to announce KoF XV at EVO.

And with Haohmaru being in SC6 we have yet another amazing SNK crossover. In terms of recent fighting game crossovers that SNK has done, so far we have...
  • Terry in EX Fighting Layer
  • Geese in Tekken 7
  • Iori in Million Arthur Arcana Blood
  • Mai in Dead or Alive 5 (and 6)
  • Kula in Dead or Alive 6
  • Haohmaru in Soul Caliber 6
Really makes you wonder if they're saving Kyo for something...
Yeah, Kyo and Nakoruru are the only ones left.

If it comes down to it, I guess it would be a matter of impact: Smash Ultimate x The King of Fighters or Smash Ultimate x Samurai Shodown?

Either way, I'm happy to see all of this. SNK is one of the very few missing links of Smash and seeing them immortalized there, considering their unsung contributions to the series, would really be something.

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137
Yeah, Kyo and Nakoruru are the only ones left.

If it comes down to it, I guess it would be a matter of impact: Smash Ultimate x The King of Fighters or Smash Ultimate x Samurai Shodown?

Either way, I'm happy to see all of this. SNK is one of the very few missing links of Smash and seeing them immortalized there, considering their unsung contributions to the series, would really be something.
There's Athena and Marco too. But regardless, there's not that many SNK characters that haven't been guests in other fighters.

And between the two possible crossovers, I'd prefer KOF because of the bigger popularity and personal bias towards additional content.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
There's Athena and Marco too. But regardless, there's not that many SNK characters that haven't been guests in other fighters.

And between the two possible crossovers, I'd prefer KOF because of the bigger popularity and personal bias towards additional content.
Yeah, I get Athena and Marco, but... *sigh*.

As much as I'd want a Metal Slug rep, I can't see it being a thing before KOF, FF or SamSho.

It's sad, because it's my favorite SNK franchise, but... as a Klonoa fan, I've learned to deal with that sort of thing.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Kyo has been my favorite character in KOF since '97 (although I haven't played much since 2000 lol), you have my support :)

-----

If Kyo joins the battle, how would the KOF Spirit Board look like?
Dragon Quest has 9 spirits:

3 Novice Level - with 2 being able to evolve to Ace Level
2 Advanced
1 Ace
1 Legend - with a new ability

persona has 11 spirits:

4 Novice level
3 Advanced
3 Ace

Who would you guys like to see? Since it would be Smash Bros X King of Fighters - like the first two DLC - I believe only characters that appear in KOF would be selected.
Also, who or what would be the Legend Level spirit and what new ability it could have?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So basically, with the latest crossover, there are very few of the most recent popular fighting games that don't have a character from SNK:
  • Street Fighter V (Doubt it. Guests haven't been a big thing here.)
  • BBTAG (Hey, could happen.)
  • UNIST (The only other Arcsys game with some guests, though those are from French Bread as well)
  • MK11 (Doubt it, as MK isn't that big in Japan.)
  • Smash
Of all of those, I think Smash is the most viable one to be next in line, with BBTAG as a close second.

Overall, Kyo and SNK's chances are bigger than they've ever been, fellas.

Kyo has been my favorite character in KOF since '97 (although I haven't played much since 2000 lol), you have my support :)

-----

2 Advanced
1 Ace

persona has 11 spirits:

4 Novice level
3 Advanced
3 Ace

Who would you guys like to see? Since it would be Smash Bros X King of Fighters - like the first two DLC - I believe only characters that appear in KOF would be selected.
Also, who or what would be the Legend Level spirit and what new ability it could have?
Fun fact: if you count the Fighter Spirits, both Persona and DQ have exactly 13 Spirits. I think we'd get around that same amount.

It's hard to choose, because KOF has great original characters, but it's also a crossover fighter by itself, so... maybe focus on KOF characters and have a few from other games? Like, Terry, Athena and Mai? Kyo would probably have 2 fighter Spirits, because of his retro and modern designs. So that would leave 11 Spirits for us to choose. Benimaru, Goro, Iori and Chizuru are a must imo.

I'd love it to be either a really hard fight against a Rugal Spirit or Orochi Team + Orochi as the Legend Spirit. It even matches the "team fights" we already have for DLC Spirits, because each puppet fighter would come in after the other was KO'd, so it's a double reference!

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

-----

2 Advanced
1 Ace

persona has 11 spirits:

4 Novice level
3 Advanced
3 Ace

Welcome aboard :bee:

I was actually thinking of what spirits could happen (as well as their respective spirit battles). I'll probably list my spirit fights later today.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I'm working on a Spirit list as well, but it'll probably take one or two days due to work.

In the meanwhile, I think this was already said, but take a look at the original KOF intro...

... and the new teaser for KOF XV...

... tell me if these don't scream "Smash", at least aesthetically.

Mark my words: if KOF XV gets a Switch version, they'll unveil it in a Direct and then show a trailer with the envelope spinning around... and then the red KOF seal becomes the Smash logo. They have to use the envelope. If they didn't, it would be like not having the Rare crew in the Banjo trailer.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Ok here are some spirit battles I came up with. Assume they all take place on omega forms and that you have to fight one character at a time for the spirits that involve teams.
  • Team Fatal Fury (Terry/Andy/Joe) - Spirit Train
    • Terry = Ken
    • Andy = Red Sheik
    • Joe = White Erdrick Hero, is equipped with the gust bellows item
  • Team Art of Fighting (Ryo/Robert/Yuri) - Suzaku Castle
    • Ryo = Orange Ryu
    • Robert = Orange Fox, likes to use that one rapid kicking move
    • Yuri = Red female Wii Fit Trainer (I mean, her main theme is literally called Diet)
  • Team Psycho Soldier (Athena/Kensou/Chin) - New Donk City
    • Athena = Red Zelda
    • Kensou = Blue Villager, will randomly heal
    • Chin = Green biker Wario, very strong but will randomly fall asleep
  • Team Ikari Warriors (Leona/Ralf/Clark) - Kongo Falls
    • Leona = Green Zero Suit Samus
    • Ralf = Light Yellow Luigi, likes to charge the side-B move and has a higher rate of getting misfires
    • Clark = Blue Incineroar, likes to use up-throw which deals extra damage
  • Team Korea (Kim/Chang/Choi) - Suzaku Castle
    • Kim = White Dr. Mario, likes to use aerials except for forward air
    • Chang = Giant white King. K Rool
    • Choi = Tiny Team Skull bandanna Pichu (so the fight is as annoying as fighting Choi in KoF)
  • Rugal Bernstein - Shadow Moses Island
    • Red Ganondorf, deals an insane amount of knockback so that an uncharged f-smash can kill you at 0%.
I can probably think of some more though I'm too tired right now.

Predictabo

Smash Cadet
Mark my words: if KOF XV gets a Switch version, they'll unveil it in a Direct and then show a trailer with the envelope spinning around... and then the red KOF seal becomes the Smash logo. They have to use the envelope. If they didn't, it would be like not having the Rare crew in the Banjo trailer.
Going by the shareholder conference every SNK game onwards will be Sony/MS/Nintendo/PC, so good chances it will be on Switch even if it's a late port

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Ok here are some spirit battles I came up with. Assume they all take place on omega forms and that you have to fight one character at a time for the spirits that involve teams.
  • Team Fatal Fury (Terry/Andy/Joe) - Spirit Train
    • Terry = Ken
    • Andy = Red Sheik
    • Joe = White Erdrick Hero, is equipped with the gust bellows item
  • Team Art of Fighting (Ryo/Robert/Yuri) - Suzaku Castle
    • Ryo = Orange Ryu
    • Robert = Orange Fox, likes to use that one rapid kicking move
    • Yuri = Red female Wii Fit Trainer (I mean, her main theme is literally called Diet)
  • Team Psycho Soldier (Athena/Kensou/Chin) - New Donk City
    • Athena = Red Zelda
    • Kensou = Blue Villager, will randomly heal
    • Chin = Green biker Wario, very strong but will randomly fall asleep
  • Team Ikari Warriors (Leona/Ralf/Clark) - Kongo Falls
    • Leona = Green Zero Suit Samus
    • Ralf = Light Yellow Luigi, likes to charge the side-B move and has a higher rate of getting misfires
    • Clark = Blue Incineroar, likes to use up-throw which deals extra damage
  • Team Korea (Kim/Chang/Choi) - Suzaku Castle
    • Kim = White Dr. Mario, likes to use aerials except for forward air
    • Chang = Giant white King. K Rool
    • Choi = Tiny Team Skull bandanna Pichu (so the fight is as annoying as fighting Choi in KoF)
  • Rugal Bernstein - Shadow Moses Island
    • Red Ganondorf, deals an insane amount of knockback so that an uncharged f-smash can kill you at 0%.
I can probably think of some more though I'm too tired right now.
Nice one! I was making my list with individual characters, but I think your alternative is better! Especially because we get more characters represented that way.

A few ones I'd add, with your format:
  • Team Japan (Kyo or Shingo/Benimaru/Goro) - Whatever stage Kyo brings
    • Kyo/Shingo = Kyo himself. Joker appears in the PT spirit, so I don't think it's a problem, but if it is, we could swap him for a Shingo represented by Kyo for a double reference.
    • Benimaru = :ultlucas:, as his normals are the closest I could find from a fighter with lightning attacks. There's :ultpikachu:, but that would be weird imo.
    • Goro = :ultdk:, because of his heavy attacks, grabs and down special.
  • Team Yagami (Iori/Mature/Vice) - Midgar (Closest thing I could find to the Shipyard)
    • Iori = :ultwolf:, because of his normals and the color of his projectiles.
    • Mature = :ultpeach: in a white alt. Makes sense because of her and Vice's nature as a pair. There's a few attacks too, but I'm mostly going by this.
    • Vice = :ultdaisy: in her red and black alt. same as Mature.
  • New Faces Team + Orochi (Yashiro/Shermie/Chris + Orochi) - Either Dracula's Castle or Unova Pokémon League
    • Yashiro = :ultryu:? Man, I wish more fighters had earth-based moves... this is the closest I could get, I think.
    • Shermie = :ultzss:, because of her electric attacks, even though it's not quite the same.
    • Chris = :ultrichter:, because of his flames. Not much else to say.
    • Orochi = :ultwiifittrainerm:, because of his neutral special, which seems more light-based compared to other fighters. Dunno, Orochi does so much ****, he's hard to represent normally.
  • Team Women Fighters (Chizuru/Mai/King) I know that the lineup for this team changes all the time, but since Yuri can be put on the AoF team and Chizuru is important story-wise, I went with the '97 lineup. - Onett (Closest thing I could find to the China Stage in KOF '97. A similar reference was made in Chun-Li's Spirit battle.)
    • Chizuru = :ultzelda:, because of her reflector, teleport and summoning.
    • Mai = :ultsheik:, I guess? The fire attacks feel more in line with what Mai could use, despite :ultzss: or :ultbayonetta1: potentially being more fitting in terms of style.
    • King = Uuuh, I have no idea here. Maybe a female :ultbrawler: in the Tuxedo costume?
For the remaining ones, I dunno... most of the recurring teams would already be in our lists. Maybe a few solo fights, like Geese or Goenitz? Maybe Heidern or Blue Mary, for their importance in their home series?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Ralf = Light Yellow Luigi, likes to charge the side-B move and has a higher rate of getting misfires
I think a green Falcon with stronger punches would be a better fit.

Also, Goenitz: Blue Robin with Ore Club, wind attacks are stronger

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Forgot to talk about the envelope stuff in the RTC thread. Has any other fighting game done this besides KOF and Smash? None come to mind, maybe one or two specific instances, but these are the only two series that have used the invitation as a recurring symbol, as far as I know.

A lot of people abstaining, though... I thought people would at least rate Tekken, since Heihachi got a lot of ratings on his own. This is really surprising to me.

Also, that moment when people give a 0% for SNK when most users in the thread still give at least 1% for Spirits. lol

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
I would rather have Kyo, Reimu, Arthur (Ghost and Goblins), Bomberman, or Ryu Hayabusa instead of Frisk. All of them would make better additions in my opinion.

Last edited:

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
if you're talking about the fat Pikachu leak or the paragon then I might as well say this but DO NOT trust any of those leaks because its 100% fake and these leaks come from 4chan which is never a good source for smash leaks so I suggest that you take this with a huge grain of salt and not trust these leaks in anyway whatsoever since I don't trust these leaks at all and I only rely on stuff like datamines or leakers like vergeben or sabi

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
There are a few textleaks that ended up being true. My position with 4chan leaks is "don't discard them, but don't believe them either".

Ken and Incineroar's trailer was leaked via 4chan, with full trailer details, even. Same with the current wave of Sword and Shield leaks. Granted, most leaks coming from there are fake, but we need to pay attention for the ones that aren't.

That said, I don't think there is anything pointing to Paragon being true. What I'm curious about is the Bird Leak, because the source for that one has some credibility.

Any news regarding other SNK crossovers, people? When it comes to Kyo in Smash, I'm particularly looking for these things (since we have little info on datamines).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There are a few textleaks that ended up being true. My position with 4chan leaks is "don't discard them, but don't believe them either".

Ken and Incineroar's trailer was leaked via 4chan, with full trailer details, even. Same with the current wave of Sword and Shield leaks. Granted, most leaks coming from there are fake, but we need to pay attention for the ones that aren't.

That said, I don't think there is anything pointing to Paragon being true. What I'm curious about is the Bird Leak, because the source for that one has some credibility.

Any news regarding other SNK crossovers, people? When it comes to Kyo in Smash, I'm particularly looking for these things (since we have little info on datamines).
Bird one is generally a rumor for now. For what it leaks specifically is a mystery.

But yeah, 4Chan leaks pretty much can have Sturgeon's Law applied to them.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Bird one is generally a rumor for now. For what it leaks specifically is a mystery.

But yeah, 4Chan leaks pretty much can have Sturgeon's Law applied to them.
Yeah, the source for Bird Leak leaks stuff outside of Smash, like Link's Awakening. I hope we get more hints from the guy, even if it isn't for the Pass.

Ah, let me post Koefficient's video:

Look at this crowd reaction, holy ****.

Try telling me that having a character from SNK wouldn't bring in a huge new audience to Smash. And no, it isn't restricted to Asia and LATAM.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Wait I'm out of the loop, was Kyo in a leak or something?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Wait I'm out of the loop, was Kyo in a leak or something?
We all wish, really.

Mobile Legends is getting K', Kula and Orochi Chris
Come to think of it, the NESTS saga team would be a cool Spirit battle. The biggest problem is Kula, though, because the only female character with ice powers is Nana... maybe just K', Maxima and Whip, then? It is their most consistent team lineup, arguably...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
What leaks ate you guys talking about? Any links?
No, the leak we were talking about is the one with the European Starling on a roof, from a guy who leaked Link's Awakening and Banjo in Smash. Nothing related to Kyo.

But... I gotta say, as the days go on, my gut feeling of Kyo and SNK in Smash just gets stronger. It's not something I can even explain objectively: I hadn't played KOF for years, but one day while re-watching some speculation videos (I think it was about Color Theory or something), I realized a Smash/SNK crossover was missing... and my mind immediately went to Kyo and KOF, since at that time Terry was already in EX Layer.

Call me overly optimistic, tell me I'm setting myself up for disappointment, but I dunno... I just have a really good feeling about this. Specifically, I keep thinking he would be the one to close the pass. Don't ask me why.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So what are your character predictions and hopes for KoF XV?

I feel like Chizuru and Ash are pretty much guaranteed if the XIV endings are anything to go by. I'm hoping Shingo and Shen make it along with some Garou characters.

Predictabo

Smash Cadet

I feel like Chizuru and Ash are pretty much guaranteed if the XIV endings are anything to go by. I'm hoping Shingo and Shen make it along with some Garou characters.
Hoping for Chizuru, Shingo, B. Jenet and Krizalid. Maybe they will do the Samurai Shodown team with Haohmaru/Nakoruru/Galford that they wanted now that Love Heart is unusable.

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
characters that I hope for in KOF XV:
Shingo (kof 97)
Chizuru (kof 96)
B.jenet (garou mark of the wolves)
freeman (garou mark of the wolves)
lin (kof 2000)
the new face team (kof 97) I decided to mention the whole team and not each of them separately seeing this is literally the most possible returning team for a few reasons 1st in shermie's ending from snk heroines it shows the whole of the new face team including yashiro and Chris alive and well which brings me to my second point 2nd being that verse (the final boss of kof xiv) is known to be an entity who absorbs souls and when he's defeated all the souls that he absorbed (which has been speculated to be the souls of the many villain's of the series like rugal, Ignis and ash crimson) all spread across the world and that has proven to be the case when we see ash crimson appear in the invitaional teams ending
jhun hoon (kof 99)
bao (kof 99)
2003 hero team (including ash crimson, shen woo and duo lon)
oswald (kof xi)
alfred airhawk (real bout fatal fury 2) i would love to see this guy a first playable appearance since fatal fury first contact on the ngpc (neo geo pocket colour)
rick strowd (real bout fatal fury 2)
mr big (art of fighting)
kasumi todoh (art of fighting 3)
eiji kisaragi (art of fighting 2)
rock howard (garou mark of the wolves)
i could go on and on about who i want to see in kof xv but that is some of the characters that I want to see.
by the way might as well remind you guys but its literally now a week away before the kof 25th anniversary and I'm thinking that on the day of the 25th anniversary we might see the first gameplay trailer for kof xv plus I'm betting that kof xv for Nintendo switch will happen and I feel like its going to happen for sure.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Lien Neville from the non-canon Maximum Impact spin-offs. If SFV is willing to do deep pulls, it's only fair that KOFXV should do so as well.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
https://twitter.com/netoman/status/1158049467049709568

So the KoF XIV Grand Finals at AnimeEVO got rebroadcasted on Mexican national TV (channel 5) which raked in about 40,000 viewers. From what I understand this happened at night so those numbers are pretty impressive for a rebroadcast. Really shows how big KoF/SNK are there.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
In regards to my expectations for KOF XV... I dunno, if all of the characters from XIV returned for the base game, including DLC and Athena got a redesign closer to XIII or 2002 I'd be pretty happy already.

But seeing Rugal, Goenitz and Krizalid as a special "Boss Team" like they've done a few times would be cool too.

And as Predictabo Predictabo said, a SamSho team would be pretty dope. Maybe they finally do that retro team with a Metal Slug character and some other retro SNK picks?

Also, there's this from Sabi: https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1163102650855911424

Apparently, we're getting more SamSho announcements soon too. Hopefully a Switch port.

Last edited:

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Top 5 in no order:

1. Kusanagi
2. Krizalid
3. Rugal
4. Adelheid
5. Shingo

Also, BRING BACK THE AMERICAN SPORTS TEAM

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Looks like Mexico and China aren't the only places where King of Fighters is popular:

In Korea, KoF All-Star was the top grossing Anime-like Gacha game throughout the January - June 2019 period. Keep in mind that the Korean version released in May so it only had 2 months to earn that much revenue as opposed to the other games having 6 full months. It even outgrossed Langrisser, DBZ Dokkan Battle, and Fate/Grand Order.

I've usually been hesitant on the mobile KoF games but I'm really looking forward to the Global release of All-Star.

Top Bottom