• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Fighters - Kyo for Smash! (Game Over! Maybe Next Time?)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So if Kyo did get in, who do you think would be on his spirit board and what would the spirit battles be like?

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
oh im glad you decided to bring this up sari because I have a few ideas for characters on his spirit board
benimaru- represented by Pikachu due to his electric moveset
k- maybe represented by roy
maxima- represented by rob (they both robots)
king of dinosaurs- represented by incineroar (theyre both wrestlers makes a lot of sense)
nakoruru- represented by Lucina
ryo sakazaki- represented by ryu
chizuru- represented by palutena
terry bogard- represented by captain falcon (I was originally thinking of mii fighter but changed my mind)
yashiro- represented by bowser
shermie- represented by bayonetta
chris- represented by ness
orochi- represented by mewtwo
rugal Bernstein- represented by gannondorf
three sacred treasures- kyo-Mario, yagami-ridley, chizuru- palutena
those are some of my ideas although I didn't mention yagami on his own as I think if kyo were to be added then yagami could be an echo fighter for him I mean yagamis moveset is a lot like kyos so it could make sense

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Hey, don't mind me. Just a newcomer to this thread who has realized recently how likely a character from SNK is.

Don't know if anyone has brought it up yet, but if you count Capcom vs. SNK, Smash seems to be the last notable fighting game that SNK has never had a crossover with (technically there's the Arcsys games, but... yeah). There's a lot of recent ones too, like with Tekken 7, DoA 6 and Fighting EX Layer.

And if there's anything at SNK like they do at Square - with different crossovers getting different characters, then Kyo might have a good shot.

Wishing you guys luck!

EDIT: Also, the reusing the original screen with the Smash invitation letter instead of the KOF one would be a really nice touch.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I might update the OP in a few days since it needs to be updated and it's sort of all over the place atm.

Also 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus I see that you're currently nomming Kyo on the RTC thread and have mentioned SNK in a few other threads. Would you like to be added to the supporters list?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I might update the OP in a few days since it needs to be updated and it's sort of all over the place atm.

Also 3BitSaurus 3BitSaurus I see that you're currently nomming Kyo on the RTC thread and have mentioned SNK in a few other threads. Would you like to be added to the supporters list?
Yeah, add me please! I think people are really sleeping on SNK in general, and Kyo seems to be the most likely candidate to me, for reasons that are mostly listed in the OP. I was nomming him and Terry, but Terry usually gets nominated anyway while Kyo is mostly forgotten in RTC, so I thought I'd give him a boost.

Plus, my predictions about him got me back into KOF 2002, so that's a good thing.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The KoF crossovers continue: this time with Tekken characters appearing in the KoF All-Stars mobile game.

Wonder if this means we'll get another KoF character in Tekken. Either way it's a pretty good sign when SNK is getting bigger companies like Namco to allow characters to appear in their games.

Can't wait for this game to become Global sometime this year.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
The KoF crossovers continue: this time with Tekken characters appearing in the KoF All-Stars mobile game.

Wonder if this means we'll get another KoF character in Tekken. Either way it's a pretty good sign when SNK is getting bigger companies like Namco to allow characters to appear in their games.

Can't wait for this game to become Global sometime this year.
Maybe instead of another character in Tekken, SNK could crossover with Soulcalibur instead. I think Nakoruru would be perfect for that one. That and there's a certain other fighting game that Bamco is helping develop...

I'm not saying that because that would pretty much leaves only Kyo for... something else, no sir.

With all of that said... SNK has really been getting their thunder back in the past few years, huh?

Fun little fact: about two weeks ago, I went to a big fighting game tournament (some games, like SFV, even made that one part of their official South American circuits). The lineup was basically the same as EVO, with one exception: no BBTAG. Guess which game was in its place?

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So I stumbled upon this video:

I don't speak Spanish but I'm like 99% sure this guy copied my info from the OP of this thread since the bits at 1:30 are almost identical to the pros/cons I wrote in an earlier version. I'm not sure if I should be mad at him for copying this thread without sourcing it or just let it slide since he's helping spread the idea of Kyo making it into Smash...

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

I don't speak Spanish but I'm like 99% sure this guy copied my info from the OP of this thread since the bits at 1:30 are almost identical to the pros/cons I wrote in an earlier version. I'm not sure if I should be mad at him for copying this thread without sourcing it or just let it slide since he's helping spread the idea of Kyo making it into Smash...
Yeah, it's presented in a very similar fashion. If I'm being completely honest, I found that video before I found this thread. It wasn't hard to find, since this guy is pretty much the only one doing videos for the SNK characters - every other "moveset" Smashtuber is sleeping on them.

Maybe send him a message or something? It would still be nice for you and the thread to get the recognition, not to mention make more people aware of this thread. We might get a good influx of supporters, who knows? Make this place more active.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Yeah, it's presented in a very similar fashion. If I'm being completely honest, I found that video before I found this thread. It wasn't hard to find, since this guy is pretty much the only one doing videos for the SNK characters - every other "moveset" Smashtuber is sleeping on them.

Maybe send him a message or something? It would still be nice for you and the thread to get the recognition, not to mention make more people aware of this thread. We might get a good influx of supporters, who knows? Make this place more active.
Youtube seems to have gotten rid of the PM function so I don't have anyway to personally contact him. Also since he probably isn't too focused on getting Kyo into Smash (since he's made a lot of other similar moveset threads for other characters) he'd probably just ignore my attempts to promote this thread.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Youtube seems to have gotten rid of the PM function so I don't have anyway to personally contact him. Also since he probably isn't too focused on getting Kyo into Smash (since he's made a lot of other similar moveset threads for other characters) he'd probably just ignore my attempts to promote this thread.
Hmm, yeah, that sucks. Sounds like there is very little to do, then.

That said, we can certainly try to make the thread more active ourselves, the way several others do, by discussing stuff about KOF and coming up with new possibilities.

For example, I've been thinking... some people suggested a Final Smash with multiple characters appearing (to reference the Tag Team mechanic), but what if they changed randomly, like Joker's?

Like... we could get Benimaru and Goro Daimon (Hero Team/Japan Team), Iori and Chizuru (Sacred Treasures) or Terry and Athena/Nakoruru (SNK Mascots) at random to team up with Kyo during the FS.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Hmm, yeah, that sucks. Sounds like there is very little to do, then.

That said, we can certainly try to make the thread more active ourselves, the way several others do, by discussing stuff about KOF and coming up with new possibilities.

For example, I've been thinking... some people suggested a Final Smash with multiple characters appearing (to reference the Tag Team mechanic), but what if they changed randomly, like Joker's?

Like... we could get Benimaru and Goro Daimon (Hero Team/Japan Team), Iori and Chizuru (Sacred Treasures) or Terry and Athena/Nakoruru (SNK Mascots) at random to team up with Kyo during the FS.
I like that idea for a FS. They could even have one with Kyo, Iori, and Shingo to reference the KoF XI team.

So what is everyone's thoughts on what Kyo's stage would be? My pick is the Japan team stage from 96 though there are some other good ones like the 98 city stage and the tournament stage from XIII.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I like that idea for a FS. They could even have one with Kyo, Iori, and Shingo to reference the KoF XI team.

So what is everyone's thoughts on what Kyo's stage would be? My pick is the Japan team stage from 96 though there are some other good ones like the 98 city stage and the tournament stage from XIII.
I'm biased towards either the one from 98 (with other SNK franchise characters in the background, replacing the usual background characters, as they love to do in KOF) or something in the vein of the stadiums from XIII or XIV, with just KOF references.

Last edited:

Nemuresu

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3325-3200-4137

Y'know, that video has English captions if you need to compare words. But to spare you some time, four out of his six points are pretty identical to yours (KoF's popularity, SNK collection, guests in other games and the Sakurai comment).

That said though, I'll leave a comment and see if he answers.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Y'know, that video has English captions if you need to compare words. But to spare you some time, four out of his six points are pretty identical to yours (KoF's popularity, SNK collection, guests in other games and the Sakurai comment).

That said though, I'll leave a comment and see if he answers.
Ok thanks. Just to be clear I wouldn't accuse him of taking ideas from this thread, just that maybe he could promote this thread a bit more or something along the lines.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
... Okay, wait, how the **** did I miss that the new KOF title in development is set for release in 2020!? I feel that this is a point in favor of SNK - though still hardly any confirmation.

If we keep seeing crossover support from other companies in regards to SNK, they´re slowly regaining their footing and Smash takes influence from KOF... boy, oh boy.

Let's see if some SNK - related news will show up at EVO (besides SamSho, obviously). While I'm not expecting Smash specifically, any new crossover is a point in SNK's favor.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
... Okay, wait, how the **** did I miss that the new KOF title in development is set for release in 2020!? I feel that this is a point in favor of SNK - though still hardly any confirmation.

If we keep seeing crossover support from other companies in regards to SNK, they´re slowly regaining their footing and Smash takes influence from KOF... boy, oh boy.

Let's see if some SNK - related news will show up at EVO (besides SamSho, obviously). While I'm not expecting Smash specifically, any new crossover is a point in SNK's favor.
Yeah KoF XV is one of my most hyped games right now. I think we'll definitely get an official announcement at the Tokyo Game Show in September. Hopefully SNK learned their lesson with XIV and make the first XV trailer visually appealing. I think the graphics was one of the biggest things that threw people off of XIV.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah KoF XV is one of my most hyped games right now. I think we'll definitely get an official announcement at the Tokyo Game Show in September. Hopefully SNK learned their lesson with XIV and make the first XV trailer visually appealing. I think the graphics was one of the biggest things that threw people off of XIV.
Yeah, animations were a bit clunky.

I knew KOF XV was a thing, but the 2020 release window went completely over my head.

Maybe we could see SNK as guests for Soulcalibur or maybe again in Tekken at EVO? Even if they don't announce XV, it would be hype regardless.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Yeah, animations were a bit clunky.

I knew KOF XV was a thing, but the 2020 release window went completely over my head.

Maybe we could see SNK as guests for Soulcalibur or maybe again in Tekken at EVO? Even if they don't announce XV, it would be hype regardless.
I could totally see a Soulcalibur crossover happening. Maybe they could add someone like Haohmaru into it.

Predictabo

Smash Cadet

Neo Geo Land

I've said this already, but I feel that Nakoruru would be perfect for SC.
I don't think so, she hinges too much on Mamahaha for the character to work in SC, I feel like Ukyo would be a better fit

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Neo Geo Land

I don't think so, she hinges too much on Mamahaha for the character to work in SC, I feel like Ukyo would be a better fit
My only problem with NGL is that it technically isn't related specifically to KOF and more to the actual NGL in Japan, and it's also someone else's home stage in its appearances.

Other stages have SNK cameos too. But hey, if it works, it works, I guess.

Predictabo

Smash Cadet
My only problem with NGL is that it technically isn't related specifically to KOF and more to the actual NGL in Japan, and it's also someone else's home stage in its appearances.

Other stages have SNK cameos too. But hey, if it works, it works, I guess.
Problem that Kyo's classic stages are also based on actual places in Japan near the Esaka Station/SNK former HQ so I dunno if Sakurai would like to use them. Another option is the 97 Theme Park stage that's used as main screen for KoF 98 OL

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Problem that Kyo's classic stages are also based on actual places in Japan near the Esaka Station/SNK former HQ so I dunno if Sakurai would like to use them. Another option is the 97 Theme Park stage that's used as main screen for KoF 98 OL
Oh, no, no, I didn't mean the fact that it's based on an actual place. I was referring to NGL being a stage more linked with SNK and the Neo-Geo in general than with KOF itself. Sorry for the confusion.

Also, I realized I didn't adress your point on Nakoruru. I think because of her mechanics, she would be a unique character for SC standards, at least from what little I know about SC. Haohmaru would be the cool-but-safer choice in my eyes.

Last edited:

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
well speaking of sc I have heard of this Evo 2019 rumour/leak that there will be some kind of soul calibur and samurai showdown crossover in some way involving haohmaru probably meaning that haoumaru will be one of the dlc characters in soul calibur 6 and I have heard of this leak thanks to papagenos and he did say that he really trusts this leak and that leak does mention that Cassandra will be the next dlc character in soul calibur 6 plus I do think haohmaru is more suitable for soul calibur than nakoruru

also about kyo's stage I think esaka xiv would be the perfect stage for him seeing as that stage is from the most recent kof game kof xiv and with smash ultimate's dlc with hero for example when he was revealed his inclusion was to promote dq11 xs which is the most recent game in the dq series so I think if kyo was to be added to smash then I bet his inclusion would promote the most recent game in the series he's from kof xiv

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, there have been whispers of SC x SamSho on the internet for a while now.

If it really happens, then Kyo is pretty much the only character who won't have a recent crossover to his name. Strange, considering how much he and KOF mean to SNK.

It will feel weird to me... almost like he's being saved for something.

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
i always had this feeling that kyo is being saved for something and I bet smash bros ultimate is what they're waiting for

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Hmmm... if SNK is getting enough momentum to do this kind of thing... I wonder...

Though I'm mostly curious about the part about this "new system" connecting to the Mini... is this some sort of portability peripheral? Like the Switch handheld module?

Anyway, Samsho and Soulcalibur end tomorrow. Keep your eyes peeled.

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
well actually about tomorrow (sunday) does anyone think that we will get a smash dlc character reveal tomorrow because ive been hearing of this rumour that we will get a dlc character reveal for smash ultimate tomorrow and a lot of people are talking about it but I don't believe it although at last years evo we did get the announcement of a smash ultimate direct so im betting if anything smash related gets revealed tomorrow it would be the announcement of a smash direct

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
well actually about tomorrow (sunday) does anyone think that we will get a smash dlc character reveal tomorrow because ive been hearing of this rumour that we will get a dlc character reveal for smash ultimate tomorrow and a lot of people are talking about it but I don't believe it although at last years evo we did get the announcement of a smash ultimate direct so im betting if anything smash related gets revealed tomorrow it would be the announcement of a smash direct
I think we'll need to wait a while before any sort of Smash direct, due to Banjo being planned for a fall release. While Piranha Plant was released in January despite being slated for February, it was still pretty damn close.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So, any news? I've been focusing more on Smash... I know SC ended already, but did we get any new trailers for the other games?
FighterZ got a Janemba/Gogeta trailer and a new Under Night game was announced. Those were the only major things announced so far.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Something I just thought about: I do believe that one of the remaining DLCs will be from a fighting game... but if a character does, per chance, get announced at EVO and it's not from a fighting game... do you guys think that fighting game characters (like Kyo) would be hurt by that?

Winyfiddle662

Smash Cadet
not really I mean smash bros doesn't have much representation of fighting game reps anyway I mean the only ones we have are ryu and ken and they're only from one fighting game series and I feel like having another fighting game rep but this time from a different series would actually be quite welcome

Top Bottom