• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Fighters - Kyo for Smash! (Game Over! Maybe Next Time?)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
The RTC thread is currently rating the concept of us getting a 2nd SNK rep.

Make sure to follow the rules (at least two sentences for both chance and want essentially) and feel free to rate the idea of this happening. Keep in mind the rating is about the any additional SNK character getting in, not just Kyo.

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
So, with Benimaru being confirmed to team up with Shun'ei and Meitenkun in XV, who do you guys think Kyo is going to be teaming up with this time around? I'm personally hoping the stuff in XIV was hinting at the Sacred Treasures Team making a comeback.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So, with Benimaru being confirmed to team up with Shun'ei and Meitenkun in XV, who do you guys think Kyo is going to be teaming up with this time around? I'm personally hoping the stuff in XIV was hinting at the Sacred Treasures Team making a comeback.
Possibly. I'm more concerned about Goro tbh. Kyo works well enough in other teams, but I'm not too sure about big judo boy.

Aside from them, I think the only other confirmed character was Mai... who will probably be leading the women team, I guess.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I hate to admit it but with Pyra/Mythra getting in over Rex (the undisputable main character of Xenoblade 2), I'm almost certain that if we were to get a KoF character then it would be Iori instead of Kyo. I know they generally add main characters first but I feel like KoF would be one of the exceptions seeing as how popular Iori is and how Kyo always gets shafted.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
It hate to admit it but with Pyra/Mythra getting in over Rex (the undisputable main character of Xenoblade 2), I'm almost certain that if we were to get a KoF character then it would be Iori instead of Kyo. I know they generally add main characters first but I feel like KoF would be one of the exceptions seeing as how popular Iori is and how Kyo always gets shafted.
At least Kyo has another friend now

Flik

Smash Journeyman
It hate to admit it but with Pyra/Mythra getting in over Rex (the undisputable main character of Xenoblade 2), I'm almost certain that if we were to get a KoF character then it would be Iori instead of Kyo. I know they generally add main characters first but I feel like KoF would be one of the exceptions seeing as how popular Iori is and how Kyo always gets shafted.
On the other hand, Iori is already a costume in Smash (and nobody will convince me that the costume wasn't the reason they choose the girls over Rex), so I'm not worried about him.

Shun'ei, however... 🙃

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, I think it's more likely than ever now. Which is sad to think about: Chrom got his chance another day and Rex and Spring Man got snubbed with Miis as a consolation prize, but... if it happens, Kyo will have lost the invitation twice, with only a PNG and a stage cameo to show for it. That's a real burn there.

Not that I believe we'll get another SNK rep now, tbh.

About Kyo's trailer for KoF XV... is it just me or they completely traded his projectile for the rekka-style attacks? I only saw it during his Climax.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
To be honest I don't think a SNK character is likely at all for Ultimate. For the next Smash game? Yeah I could see that, maybe even as a base game addition, seeing how easy is SNK to work with.

But I'm still convinced they would choose Kyo if they wanted a KOF rep specifically. I doubt they would add Shun'ei, that would be like expecting Rock Howard instead of Terry. To be fair Pyra and Mythra are essentially protagonists, is just that they're not the main character or the one the player uses. I also believe there's more room for freedom when it comes to picking first party characters. I still have a hard time imagining KOF getting a rep who is not Kyo.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
At least we have Kyo's trailer for KOFXV

Kyo looking good.
Mythra is nice but she and Pyra ain't got **** ON MOTHER ****ING GOODBYE ESAKA.

LET'S GO KYO.

To be fair, im pretty sure that was due to circumstances. If Spring Man and Rex weren't Miis/ATs, they would have been playable, i really think that ATs and Miis are completely out of the running and killed their chances.

And god no please not Iori, i have the same hatred towards him some people have towards Mai.

toonito

Smash Ace
Wait what?

I thought we were getting reveals on only Wednesdays.
today was the japanese developer fighting game roundtable where developers discuss their news on their games as well as fan demand and the genre as a whole. GG and Tekken also had trailer reveals today

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I have been thinking

if a hypothetical Ultimate Deluxe happens

do you think Kyo might have a shot?

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
I have been thinking

if a hypothetical Ultimate Deluxe happens

do you think Kyo might have a shot?
Maybe. SNK has a lot of interesting stuff to pull from, between KoF, Metal Slug and Samsho, maybe even a second FF rep in Mai. And if the content is any indication, they're pretty lax with negotiations.

I think Kyo in particular has a pretty decent shot. My only concern is the possibility of Sakurai going for Iori instead.

Last edited:

toonito

Smash Ace
Maybe. SNK has a lot of interesting stuff to pull from, between KoF, Metal Slug and Samsho, maybe even a second FF rep in Mai. And if the content is any indication, they're pretty lax with negotiations.

I think Kyo in particular has a pretty decent shot. My only concern is the possibility of Sakurai going for Iori instead.
which is why i prefer if KOF gets a rep it'd be a team instead of an individual. Kyo can bring Goro and Benimaru (Team Japan) as well as Iori and Chizuru (Team Sacred Treasures). It allows the opportunity to make characters playable who wouldn't have made it in individually.

for Smash, my ideal SNK reps would be Terry, Team Sacred Treasures, Nakoruru, and Marco.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
which is why i prefer if KOF gets a rep it'd be a team instead of an individual. Kyo can bring Goro and Benimaru (Team Japan) as well as Iori and Chizuru (Team Sacred Treasures). It allows the opportunity to make characters playable who wouldn't have made it in individually.

for Smash, my ideal SNK reps would be Terry, Team Sacred Treasures, Nakoruru, and Marco.
Only problem with that idea is that you don't really switch characters mid-round in KoF. So either they'd have to be unfaithful to KoF's gameplay or you'd change characters every stock, which is not really ideal imo.

FYI, you get random SNK spirits for owning their games on your Switch now.
Wait what.

Which ones!?

toonito

Smash Ace
Only problem with that idea is that you don't really switch characters mid-round in KoF. So either they'd have to be unfaithful to KoF's gameplay or you'd change characters every stock, which is not really ideal imo.
I like the changing character every stock I feel it'd best represent (not perfectly) a KOF team in Smash. In that scenario your alt costumes determine the order of your team much like the KOF games do.

Alt 1: Kyo, Goro, Benimaru
Alt 2: Kyo, Benimaru, Goro

etc.

I've grown to prefer KOF in Smash repped as a team than as any 1 individual character.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Like I said, they're random.
Yeah, but what I meant was whether or not they're just the old Spirits that came with Terry or new ones.

I like the changing character every stock I feel it'd best represent (not perfectly) a KOF team in Smash. In that scenario your alt costumes determine the order of your team much like the KOF games do.

Alt 1: Kyo, Goro, Benimaru
Alt 2: Kyo, Benimaru, Goro

etc.

I've grown to prefer KOF in Smash repped as a team than as any 1 individual character.
How does that work for matches with less than 3 stocks, though? Would you just not use a character? And how about Time matches? Do you cycle infinitely through the team?

I dunno, I just feel like that mechanic could have a few mechanical implications that wouldn't be ideal. Even if more characters sounds appealing on paper.

toonito

Smash Ace
Yeah, but what I meant was whether or not they're just the old Spirits that came with Terry or new ones.

How does that work for matches with less than 3 stocks, though? Would you just not use a character? And how about Time matches? Do you cycle infinitely through the team?

I dunno, I just feel like that mechanic could have a few mechanical implications that wouldn't be ideal. Even if more characters sounds appealing on paper.
tbh i hadn't thought of those...fair enough, good point

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Pyra's fire taunt always reminds me of Kyo.
I still wish he was playable.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I kind of like that kind of "high-risk, high reward" idea as a mechanic. This feels just like the kind of thing Sak would want to pull off.

Of course, we'll have to wait until next game to see if that gets implemented or not, but still.

FYI, you get random SNK spirits for owning their games on your Switch now.
That's pretty neat. Too bad this won't apply to Metal Slug, for obvious reasons.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
It may be too late for Kyo for Ultimate, but here’s hoping Kyo’s the second SNK rep in the next smash.

assuming Terry returns. I’m sure he will anyway

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
No KoF XV Switch release (for now at least), but Steam and Xbox are getting it on Day 1!

Top Bottom