• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Fighters - Kyo for Smash! (Game Over! Maybe Next Time?)

SNEKeater

Smash Master
I think Kyo would represent King of Fighters. Also is Rock Howard a main protagonist for any of the Fatal Fury games?
Well Rock's only the protag in Garou Mark of the Wolves, the latest Fatal Fury game. He's a popular character but he's certainly isn't as important for SNK as Kyo, for example.

Rock was also a DLC character in KOF XIV.

D

Deleted member

Well Rock's only the protag in Garou Mark of the Wolves, the latest Fatal Fury game. He's a popular character but he's certainly isn't as important for SNK as Kyo, for example.

Rock was also a DLC character in KOF XIV.
So Rock probably fall under the same category as Chizuru huh?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So which characters from Fatal Fury should get the "Sephiroth" treatment, I guess for me I would go with Geese.
I know exactly who it is, but unless CERO gets a reform, I don't really see her happening, sadly.

So instead, I would settle for Joe Higashi. We don't have any Muay Thai fighters yet, so he would do.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Joe would be pretty cool, I like his energy
Would Screw Upper be a projectile?
If The Three Sacred Treasures (Kyo, Iori, Chizuru) ever appeared as a Pokémon Trainer styled character, what other characters strictly from KOF should appear in Smash? For me I would say Kula Diamond mostly because of DOA6.

toonito

Smash Ace
If The Three Sacred Treasures (Kyo, Iori, Chizuru) ever appeared as a Pokémon Trainer styled character, what other characters strictly from KOF should appear in Smash? For me I would say Kula Diamond mostly because of DOA6.
I'd actually prefer a KOF team to work truer to their home series which would be Squad Strike. One stock per character and their alt costumes which adjust the order of the characters like in KOF.

As for Kyo tbh I prefer him as a team in Smash either as part of Japan Team (Benimaru & Goro) or 3 Sacred Treasures (Iori & Chizuru).

D

Deleted member

I'd actually prefer a KOF team to work truer to their home series which would be Squad Strike. One stock per character and their alt costumes which adjust the order of the characters like in KOF.

As for Kyo tbh I prefer him as a team in Smash either as part of Japan Team (Benimaru & Goro) or 3 Sacred Treasures (Iori & Chizuru).
Should Kula be standalone or have her team up with K and Maxima?

toonito

Smash Ace
Should Kula be standalone or have her team up with K and Maxima?
either way is cool for me

these days I'd like to see KOF characters play as a team because it's more true to their series and it may bring characters who might not have got in otherwise (Benimaru, Goro, K, Maxima, etc.)

D

Deleted member

Is Cutie Terry too sexual for Smash?
DjnGmymUwAAM5MW.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Speaking of Fatal Fury characters, how about Alfred?
Alfred-99.jpg

He's an 18 year old pilot who fights with wind energy.
He appeared in Real Bout Fatal Fury Dominated Mind as the protagonist, and RBFF2 as a hidden boss. With KoF he appeared in 99 evolution as one of the extra strikers.
He's really obscure, but I like his design and the pilot aesthetics he has.
alfred-waverider.gif

I would call this his 'Icon' Super Special, since he used this move as a striker. It's called Wave Rider. Used to hit harder than any other Super Specials in the game in RBFF2.

D

Deleted member

Kyo/Iori/Chizuru Classic Mode
1. :ultsquirtle:, :ultivysaur:, :ultcharizard: (Pokémon Stadium 2)
2. :ultness:(Black), :ultlittlemac:(White), :ultwario:(Red) (Pokémon Stadium)
3. :ultminmin(Red), :ultlucario:(Grey), :ultbowser:(Green) (Suzaku Castle)
4. :ultbrawler:(Ryo Sakazaki Wig, Ryo Sakazaki Outfit), :ultryu:, :ultken: (Blue) (Arena Ferox Ω)
5. :ultzss:(Red), :ultpeach:(White), :ultbayonetta: (Prism Tower)
6. :ult_terry:, :ultfox:, :ultincineroar:(Orange) (King of Fighters Stadium)
Final Stage: Dracula (Dracula's Castle)

Reference
1. Referencing the traditional 3-on-3-team-based gameplay found in The King of Fighters games.

2. Referencing the "American Sports Team" with a White :ultlittlemac: representing Heavy D!, Purple :ultness: representing Lucky Glauber, and a Red :ultwario: representing Brian Battler with Pokémon Stadium referencing the sports theme.

3. Referencing Team China with a Red :ultminmin representing Athena Asamiya, a Grey :ultlucario: representing Sie Kensou, and a Green :ultbowser: representing Chin Gentsai.

4. Referencing Team Mexico with a Mii being an obvious representation of Ryo Sakazaki, :ultryu: representing Ryo's father Takuma, and a Blue :ultken: representing Robert Garcia the lover of Ryo Sakazaki's sister Yuri with Arena Ferox being a reference to the Pao Pao Cafe from Fatal Fury.

5. Referencing Team England with a Red :ultzss:representing Mai Shiranui, a White :ultpeach: representing the aforementioned Yuri Sakazaki, and :ultbayonetta: representing King with Prism Tower referencing the Tower Hill Memorial.

6. Referencing Team Italy with :ultfox: representing Terry's brother Andy Bogard and an Orange :ultincineroar: representing Joe Higashi

Final Stage: Dracula representing the final boss Rugal Bernstein.

Last edited by a moderator:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Right now, there's one thing that worries me about Kyo and that's... Iori. He's about an equal to Kyo in terms of popularity (maybe slightly more popular even), and Min Min kinda shows you don't need to be the box mascot to make it.

Iori also received a bit more attention as a character: he got a Mii Costume while Kyo did not and his Spirit battle is just against him, as opposed to Kyo's which is against the whole Team Japan. Sakurai seems to favor him quite a bit, so oddly enough the two might actually fght for the KoF spot in a future Smash game.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Right now, there's one thing that worries me about Kyo and that's... Iori. He's about an equal to Kyo in terms of popularity (maybe slightly more popular even), and Min Min kinda shows you don't need to be the box mascot to make it.

Iori also received a bit more attention as a character: he got a Mii Costume while Kyo did not and his Spirit battle is just against him, as opposed to Kyo's which is against the whole Team Japan. Sakurai seems to favor him quite a bit, so oddly enough the two might actually fght for the KoF spot in a future Smash game.
To be honest... yeah I agree. Based on the Terry presentation I think Sakurai definitely likes Iori more, with him saying Iori's design was awesome while saying that Kyo will forever be a highschooler (which I think was meant as a jab towards Kyo).

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
With the case of Kyo and Iori, I believe Iori is bit more likely despite him not being the protagonist.
Here in Korea, I've seen some people say they wanted Iori over Terry quite a few times, but not much about Kyo. Not to say Kyo isn't popular, they are both well known and popular. However I think people just like Iori more.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Kyo really is shaping up to be the Spring Man of SNK isn't he? Funnily enough, the voice of Spring Man also voiced Kyo in the crappy English dub of KoF XII so I guess his fate is sealed.

Perhaps KoF XV can make Kyo cool like he used to be before or at least on the same level as Iori. The KoF XV concept art pic of him having his old hair back could be a start.

Also this is completely grasping at straws, but it'd be funny if they didn't add a Kyo mii costume just because they were saving him to be a fighter later on.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Kyo really is shaping up to be the Spring Man of SNK isn't he? Funnily enough, the voice of Spring Man also voiced Kyo in the crappy English dub of KoF XII so I guess his fate is sealed.

Perhaps KoF XV can make Kyo cool like he used to be before or at least on the same level as Iori. The KoF XV concept art pic of him having his old hair back could be a start.

Also this is completely grasping at straws, but it'd be funny if they didn't add a Kyo mii costume just because they were saving him to be a fighter later on.
That would be one of the best things lol. I would switch mains if that happens.
Here, have some random pics I found.
0922250338338ec6e37f7f4dbad1bda24f065114.jpg

1abd813ac5a261d4b7328bb45e7c04a43c49110f2c04c7bfb9a6b531ff3f1fd7e09960cc1bfc21c48eb5b30decebe...jpeg

Also, would Kyo and Iori be higher tier than Terry?

Last edited:

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

It's all coming together.

But really, if the concept art is anything to go by, Kyo will probably have a good amount of the spotlight on him again. He and Iori were shown together along with the new protag (forgot his name lol) in the cover of KoF XIV, so I expect a similar thing to happen here.

I don't think I'd be mad if Iori was the one chosen, because I do like him too, but... it would just feel wrong to not have KoF's original poster boy along for the ride.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Also, would Kyo and Iori be higher tier than Terry?
With their rekka shenanigans I image they would be.

I don't think I'd be mad if Iori was the one chosen, because I do like him too, but... it would just feel wrong to not have KoF's original poster boy along for the ride.
Same. Iori would be great but not having Kyo would be like having Charizard in Smash without Pikachu.

The way I see it, there are 5 potential candidates for the next SNK slot of it were to ever happen:
  • Kyo
  • Iori
  • Geese
  • Haohmaru
  • Nakoruru
While Kyo is the one I'd want the most, I'd be fine with Iori too. Geese would also be cool though tbh I'm not too keen on the two SamSho characters just because I want the others first (which is ironic since I own the Nakoruru thread).

My dream Smash reveal would be a Kyo trailer where Kyo is fighting people and then Iori decimates all of Kyo's opponents to challenge him.

toonito

Smash Ace
After mulling it over I'm firmly for Kyo in Smash camp via Team Japan (with Benimaru and Goro) or Team 3 Sacred Treasures (Iori and Chizuru). I'm leaning towards 3 Sacred Treasures since we'd also have Iori playable. That's not to say I don't want Kyo in Smash I'd prefer him but with a team.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
After mulling it over I'm firmly for Kyo in Smash camp via Team Japan (with Benimaru and Goro) or Team 3 Sacred Treasures (Iori and Chizuru). I'm leaning towards 3 Sacred Treasures since we'd also have Iori playable. That's not to say I don't want Kyo in Smash I'd prefer him but with a team.
I would prefer each being individual characters, but that's an interesting idea.
One issue though. How would Goro recover?

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Kof xv leaked, apparently. The guy who posted these pics on Twitter said Shingo and Hinako are coming soon, but he deleted the tweet.
View attachment 298611View attachment 298612View attachment 298613View attachment 298614View attachment 298615View attachment 298616
Glad to see it's better than xiv. Hope we get lots of returning/forgotten characters.
Man, this looks awesome. Looks like SNK's gotten everything figured out after SamSho.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Dang, those models look gud! If the animations were improved as well, then we're looking at something a lot less janky than the last game.

(Nothing against XIV as a game, I just think a lot of the character animations looked kinda... uncanny, I guess.)

SharkLord

Smash Hero
We'll be seeing those new models in action in 11 minutes. Get ready.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
So far it looks good! Not a lot of confirmed characters, but tbh that was expected. Though I do hope the bulk of the XIV cast returns.

On other news, happy for Cham Cham fans! Always saw her mentioned among the Samsho community as a request.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Imo, the best and the most unlikely thing for snk reps next game is Kyo, Iori and Chizuru all getting in smash as individual characters. I want to see memes about it too, can't wait for people to call Kyo the Chrom of KoF, edgy Iori or Chizuru the living Flex Tape.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Sorry for the doublepost, but I posted a thing for Iori in Smash Sequel project. Can you take a look and see how it is?
Also, am I allowed to post these type of messages here?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Sorry for the doublepost, but I posted a thing for Iori in Smash Sequel project. Can you take a look and see how it is?
Also, am I allowed to post these type of messages here?
I'm unfamiliar with how that thread works but it looks good!

You're free to talk about anything relating to Kyo or KoF (including Iori) here.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I'm unfamiliar with how that thread works but it looks good!

You're free to talk about anything relating to Kyo or KoF (including Iori) here.
Thank you. Glad I wrote it.
That thread is about brainstorming a 'sequel' for ultimate. If you want, you can put your ideas there as well.

Last edited:
Top Bottom