• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Fighters - Kyo for Smash! (Game Over! Maybe Next Time?)

toonito

Smash Ace
In the Terry board Arcadenik Arcadenik brought up Kyo getting in Smash as part of KOF Japan Team. I like the idea but I'm curious to see how others feel about it.
I like the idea of a King of Fighters team in Smash.

A team... as in three fighters in one. And unlike Pokémon Trainer, you cannot switch fighters with Down B... you switch to the next teammate when you lose a stock. It’s basically Squad Strike The Character.

As for which fighters in this team... I say Kyo Kusanagi, Benimaru Nikaido, and Goro Daimon aka the Japan Team.

Yes! Japan Team for Smash!
that's actually a dope concept...you get Kyo, the protag, and two more characters for the price of 1

maybe in addition to alt colors 6 of 8 costume slots changes the order of the characters like in the KOF games:

Alt 1: Kyo, Benimaru, Goro
Alt 2: Kyo, Goro, Benimaru
Alt 3: Benimaru, Kyo, Goro
Alt 4: Benimaru, Goro, Kyo
Alt 5: Goro, Kyo, Benimaru
Alt 6: Goro, Benimaru, Kyo
Alt 7: Kyo, Benimaru, Goro (KOF 02 alts)
Alt 8: Kyo, Benimaru, Goro (KOF XIV alts)

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
In the Terry board Arcadenik Arcadenik brought up Kyo getting in Smash as part of KOF Japan Team. I like the idea but I'm curious to see how others feel about it.
It's an interesting idea but if they switch in between stocks then they might as well be separate characters imo. There's also the issue of using them in the actual Squad Strike mode and the costume thing would either prevent players from choosing a desired order or make both characters look the same.

D

Deleted member

This might be somewhat off topic but which characters should they choose with a concept like this Kyo, Benimaru, and Daimon, or Iori, Mature, and Vice (or Billy Kane and Kisaragi)?

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
This might be somewhat off topic but which characters should they choose with a concept like this Kyo, Benimaru, and Daimon, or Iori, Mature, and Vice (or Billy Kane and Kisaragi)?
If a KOF team other than Team Japan were to make it in Smash with this concept, the Three Sacred Treasures Team (Kyo, Iori, Chizuru) or the Kusanagi-Yagami Team (Kyo, Iori, Shingo) would be ideal, imo.

D

Deleted member

If a KOF team other than Team Japan were to make it in Smash with this concept, the Three Sacred Treasures Team (Kyo, Iori, Chizuru) or the Kusanagi-Yagami Team (Kyo, Iori, Shingo) would be ideal, imo.
How important is Chizuru because the only thing I know is that she has relations with the Yagami or the Kusanagi clan

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
How important is Chizuru because the only thing I know is that she has relations with the Yagami or the Kusanagi clan
Chizuru didn't appear much, but lorewise I think she's important. She hosted the KoF 96 and 03, and she's the member of the Three Treasures.

D

Deleted member

Chizuru didn't appear much, but lorewise I think she's important. She hosted the KoF 96 and 03, and she's the member of the Three Treasures.
You know what let's go with the Three Sacred Treasures that way we can have both Kyo and Iori as playable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152

I know KoF Destiny had a lot of flaws but this looks really promising.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
You know
The worst thing that can happen to Kyo is not Iori getting in first
It's Syo becoming playable in Smash before Kyo does

For his super special he uses his striker move from KoF 2000
And for his FS he rams his motorcycle into his opponent like KoF99 evolution

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Ok, if he does get in will he bring his projectile with him? Terry always had Power Wave, but Kyo kinda threw it away in exchange for aragami and dokugami.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Ok, if he does get in will he bring his projectile with him? Terry always had Power Wave, but Kyo kinda threw it away in exchange for aragami and dokugami.
I feel like it could be his neutral B while all his rekka moves could be side B. I know he technically doesn't use them at the same time but I feel like they'd make an exception here.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I feel like it could be his neutral B while all his rekka moves could be side B. I know he technically doesn't use them at the same time but I feel like they'd make an exception here.
Ok, XI's normal Kyo has both projectile and rekka punches, so I guess it could be like that.
One final thing, will each rekka moves have fixed knockback except for last or different?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Ok, XI's normal Kyo has both projectile and rekka punches, so I guess it could be like that.
One final thing, will each rekka moves have fixed knockback except for last or different?
Yeah I can see them having fixed knockback so the early hits can combo.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Yeah I can see them having fixed knockback so the early hits can combo.
Hmm. Then what if:
I hit the enemy with Aragami alone, and if I don't input the second part the enemy gets launched away?

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Hmm. Then what if:
I hit the enemy with Aragami alone, and if I don't input the second part the enemy gets launched away?
I don't think the first hit should launch since it doesn't really do that in the KoF games. I sort of see Kyo's rekka move acting similarly to Marth's side-B, where it's mainly the final hit that launches enemies.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I don't think the first hit should launch since it doesn't really do that in the KoF games. I sort of see Kyo's rekka move acting similarly to Marth's side-B, where it's mainly the final hit that launches enemies.
That could work.
Also imo every branch of moves should have a command input. Like the hadoken command for aragami/dokugami, and then something like half circle for the next one.
And what would be his super specials? Orochinagi would get in, but will Mushiki get in? Or the "kono blow" attack?

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
The image for Kyo's 2003 look is actually his XII look. 2003-XI Kyo wears a long belt, like this:
073f3267a6a9c8c4be6d07d1debb8002419d7026693a4d3ae366bf34396724730e4217c0f4dda83445a66417c7649...jpeg

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I'm bumping this thread again with a question: what would be his super specials?
Iori is easy, since you can put Maiden Masher and maybe Wine cups, and you're set.
For Kyo, however, he has multiple super specials. Orochinagi is a guarantee, but what about the second? Mu shiki? 182shiki?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I'm bumping this thread again with a question: what would be his super specials?
Iori is easy, since you can put Maiden Masher and maybe Wine cups, and you're set.
For Kyo, however, he has multiple super specials. Orochinagi is a guarantee, but what about the second? Mu shiki? 182shiki?
For the second one I'm leaning towards Mu Shiki since it's much faster. The way EX Kyo uses it in XIII is how I'd imagine it in Smash.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I kinda wish Kyo's jump cd would be a part of his moveset, maybe as a foward air that's powerful and can kill.
kyo-xi-airshoulder.gif

If I'm correct, this would cause a lot of shield stun right?

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I kinda wish Kyo's jump cd would be a part of his moveset, maybe as a foward air that's powerful and can kill.
View attachment 285320
If I'm correct, this would cause a lot of shield stun right?
I put it in my one moveset on the front page as his neutral aerial. It'd basically be a fast aerial from all angles (but strongest in the front) that has almost no landing lag.

Last edited:

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I put it in my one moveset on the front page as his neutral aerial. It'd basically be a fast aerial from all angles (but strongest in the front) that has almost no landing lag.
I see. But would it kill or do good shieldstun like the original?

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
My only nitpick is I'd make the rekka move a side B since it'd probably be easier to use than neutral B. But aside from that I like it!
I think the purpose of the moveset was utilizing the NESTS arc, so no projectiles.
Say, what would be the neutral b of nests kyo excluding rekka punches?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I think the purpose of the moveset was utilizing the NESTS arc, so no projectiles.
Say, what would be the neutral b of nests kyo excluding rekka punches?
If neutral B can't be rekkas or projectiles then it could probably be his 427 Shiki: Hikigane. Probably better if it's the rekka move than that though since it can be used as a down-B.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Yet another big KoF crossover, this time with Guilty Gear. Pretty sure this is the first time Kyo and Sol have appeared in the same game.

Surprised that it's for KoF 98 UM OL and not All-Stars.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
We're finally getting the first KoF XV trailer on January 7th (which coincidentally is my birthday of all days).

SNK also showed some concept art of XV. Kyo has his old haircut back!

1607005362433.png

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Sephiroth got in despite there already being a FF character. This means that the "third parties can't get more than one unique rep" argument is officially dead.

I know Kyo ain't getting in but let me dream.

D

Deleted member

Sephiroth got in despite there already being a FF character. This means that the "third parties can't get more than one unique rep" argument is officially dead.

I know Kyo ain't getting in but let me dream.
Uh, Chun-Li for Smash?

Top Bottom