• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The King of Fighters - Kyo for Smash! (Game Over! Maybe Next Time?)

Banado_Boy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Banado_Boy
Switch FC
SW-3619-0087-7500
Though I’m bummed about no Kyo, Challenger Pack #4 looks great. SNK practically got the Castlevania treatment (minus an Assist and Boss).

I gave up on Chrom in Sm4sh, and look where he is now. Maybe in the next Smash Bros. Kyo will learn to not have butterfingers...

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Well it is sad to see Kyo out, but OK with Terry. Though I always felt Kyo was the one with higher chances.

This is childish from me, but maybe Kyo could be playable in the future... and Alfonso takes his place in the background...

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Well if there is some sort of good news for Kyo today, its that KoF got a ton of love through its music selection and the Iori costume.

I encourage everyone here to purchase the SNK mii costumes, or at the very least the Iori one. If they get enough attention, Sakurai may consider another SNK character for a future Smash installment. If Iori gets a lot of traction and Sakurai decides to add him to represent KoF, he would probably add Kyo to go alongside him since Iori without Kyo would be weird.

EDIT: Also Sakurai's comments about choosing characters based on how fun they'd be instead of how popular they are is another point in Kyo's favor.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Guess we don't this thread anymore.
I mean while Kyo's chances are pretty much dead, people can still use this thread for moveset ideas, KoF XV discussion, etc.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I've been thinking for a bit lately, and I wonder- what could Kyo use as a <- + B move?

I got a couple of gifs here for ideas, but I really have to wonder what would be there, since Kyo has a wide variety of moves as is. Also, maybe air Rekka (presumably forward side B) in the air becomes Oboro Garuma too? (back DP + B/D move)

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I've been thinking for a bit lately, and I wonder- what could Kyo use as a <- + B move?

I got a couple of gifs here for ideas, but I really have to wonder what would be there, since Kyo has a wide variety of moves as is. Maybe air Rekka (presumably forward side B) in the air becomes Oboro Garuma? (back DP + B/D move)

Ok after thinking about it I think Kyo's specials would go something like this:
  • Neutral B: Standard ground projectile like in 94, 95, and XIII.
  • Up B: His usual Shiki Oniyaki attack.
  • Forward side B: Rekkas.
  • Backward side B: R.E.D. kick (third gif you posted)
  • Down B: Oboro Garuma
I'd love to see them implement Shiki Hikigane (first gif in your post) somehow though. It's one of my favorite moves from NESTS Kyo.

I also wonder how they'd implement max mode. My original idea was for it to be a down-B charging and activation mode (like in the pre-97 games), though I feel like that'd be a waste of a moveslot. Maybe it can be activated when your health is 100% and you press A + B at the same time.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Ok after thinking about it I think Kyo's specials would go something like this:
  • Neutral B: Standard ground projectile like in 94, 95, and XIII.
  • Up B: His usual Shiki Oniyaki attack.
  • Forward side B: Rekkas.
  • Backward side B: R.E.D. kick (third gif you posted)
  • Down B: Oboro Garuma
I'd love to see them implement Shiki Hikigane (first gif in your post) somehow though. It's one of my favorite moves from NESTS Kyo.

I also wonder how they'd implement max mode. My original idea was for it to be a down-B charging and activation mode (like in the pre-97 games), though I feel like that'd be a waste of a moveslot. Maybe it can be activated when your health is 100% and you press A + B at the same time.
I think down B charging would be great, actually. Maybe Kyo could gain access to secret special moves with Max Mode, like Terry does at high percents?

I think the inputs should be relegated to the B button, though. One thing I found with the shotos and Terry is that it's incredibly easy to accidentally input a command when you're trying to use aerials, especially if your stick sensitivity is on high.

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."
I've always wondered if Sakurai would ever go down the route of KOF 98 and have Advanced and Extra modes, tbh.

Since we know that Shield + B is an input thanks to the inkling, that could be used to activate Advance mode stocks and charge Extra mode bar.

And since the team could dedicate mroe time to him, maybe they could go all out and straight up just give him 4 CVS2-esque grooves: S, N, K and MAX, and have them all function in-game as they do from the game they come from, at least in terms of the bar it gives you and not giving and taking away things like running and rolling.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I've always wondered if Sakurai would ever go down the route of KOF 98 and have Advanced and Extra modes, tbh.

Since we know that Shield + B is an input thanks to the inkling, that could be used to activate Advance mode stocks and charge Extra mode bar.

And since the team could dedicate mroe time to him, maybe they could go all out and straight up just give him 4 CVS2-esque grooves: S, N, K and MAX, and have them all function in-game as they do from the game they come from, at least in terms of the bar it gives you and not giving and taking away things like running and rolling.
Shield + B would be a great way to work in max mode. Only issue with it is that you might not be able to activate it in the middle of a combo, since you might shield by accident.

Honestly if Sakurai added both Kyo and Iori I could see him implementing some sort of groove mechanic to both of them. Maybe he'd give Kyo one groove and Iori another one.

Damn, all this talk about grooves makes me want Capcom vs SNK 3 even more...

D

Deleted member

RIP

Hoping we at least get a mii costume.

EDIT: Nope, no mii costume.

Happy for everything else but damn this hurts. At least we got some KoF songs.
Can't say this means much for me because we have Toon Link as a background character for "Spirit Tracks" and yet he's playable.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Can't say this means much for me because we have Toon Link as a background character for "Spirit Tracks" and yet he's playable.
I mean there is nothing stopping Sakurai from adding him but I just don't see them double-dipping with SNK. The way I see it his background cameo is essentially Sakurai's way of saying "sorry he couldn't make it, here he is in some form." Not to mention we got a bunch of SNK songs, most of which are from KoF (and the 3 Esaka tracks are strongly associated with Kyo). If Kyo was planned to be playable I don't think they would've added all of that with Terry's release; they would have saved it for Kyo.

D

Deleted member

I mean there is nothing stopping Sakurai from adding him but I just don't see them double-dipping with SNK. The way I see it his background cameo is essentially Sakurai's way of saying "sorry he couldn't make it, here he is in some form." Not to mention we got a bunch of SNK songs, most of which are from KoF (and the 3 Esaka tracks are strongly associated with Kyo). If Kyo was planned to be playable I don't think they would've added all of that with Terry's release; they would have saved it for Kyo.
I was thinking for the future once DLC for Ultimate is over.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
All we (and anyone who wants a character from a franchise with so much representation) can hope is a character pack with just characters and not stages, music and stuff. It's the only way I see it happening.

Last edited:

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
Well guys, maybe I am a little late to this, but I barely have time for stuff anymore. Anyway, I do love seeing Terry in Smash Bros; he is fun to play. But while SNK said Terry is their face; and did highly expect to see Terry as the SNK rep; it does feel uncomfortable to have Kyo limited to a background character when he is feels to be more Mr. SNK than Terry.

Many say that Yoshimitsu should get in to represent both Tekken and SoulCalibur. Joker is just representing Persona 5, not Persona as a whole, much less the Megami Tensei series.

Terry is in Smash as a representative of his own series, rather than just or part of KOF. His stage is KOF based. His song collection includes other SNK series while being categorized inside the Fatal Fury category... I would like to believe that this is not the last we see of an SNK representative even in this generation of Smash.

We know how in the KOF, characters who have the chance to be playable, can be seen in the background... and Sakurai could had easily mentioned the issue with Mai in some website/magazine interview than in a main broadcast. He sure gave it quite some importance. It is head DLC is not CERO rated...

Not sure how to make noise since there is not something like the ballot anymore. Maybe for now we should really buy the SNK Mii costumes. Oddly one of the leaks, said there would be a Kyo costume but we did not saw it for now.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Bump, but it is still quite bizarre that Kyo was skipped for a costume, even if Sakurai is a bigger fan of Iori.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
So if Kyo ever got into Smash and he somehow got an echo, who would it be? I feel like the possible candidates would be:
  • NESTS Kyo clones (Kyo-1 or Kyo-2)
  • Kusanagi
  • An alternate version of Kyo, like EX Kyo in '98 or NESTS Kyo in XIII
  • Shingo (would require some tweaking since he can't use fire attacks)
I'd go for Kusanagi or Shingo.

D

Deleted member

Microsoft would probably go for Steve or Master Chief (leaning towards Steve though).

SNK would probably be Kyo since he's the star of their longest running franchise. Nakoruru would be a close runnerup given her popularity.
This also got me thinking, Konami has Bomberman, Sega has Akira Yuki, and Capcom has Rathalos, I wondered would be an Assist Trophy for both Microsoft and SNK.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
This also got me thinking, Konami has Bomberman, Sega has Akira Yuki, and Capcom has Rathalos, I wondered would be an Assist Trophy for both Microsoft and SNK.
For SNK I imagine the assist trophy would be Geese. He'd throw out some Reppukens and then unleash a giant Raging Storm before leaving. Could also make him have some counters when players attack him so we can hear PREDICTABO!

I'm not too familiar with the Banjo games so for Microsoft I'd imagine a Creeper who explodes could work as an assist trophy.

D

Deleted member

"For SNK I imagine the assist trophy would be Geese. He'd throw out some Reppukens and then unleash a giant Raging Storm before leaving. Could also make him have some counters when players attack him so we can hear PREDICTABO!"
I was thinking non Fatal Fury characters as an assist trophy

Last edited by a moderator:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
SNK: POW (Metal Slug). Spawns on a random spot on the stage, untie him for a random item.

Microsoft: Monk (Age of Empries). Converts an enemy Poke Ball/AT to your side.

D

Deleted member

SNK: POW (Metal Slug). Spawns on a random spot on the stage, untie him for a random item.

Microsoft: Monk (Age of Empries). Converts an enemy Poke Ball/AT to your side.
What about Assist Trophies for both Bandai Namco and Square Enix that is not from Pac-Man nor Final Fantasy?

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
Sign me up. Any fighting game character is cool in my book. I would love to see Kyo, Iori, Ralf, Ryo or any other SNK characters in general. They're all spirits and background characters, but Sakurai might pull something sneaky.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This probably got debunked but how tall is Kyo compared to Iori because I hear people claim that to be an Echo, characters have to be the same height.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
This probably got debunked but how tall is Kyo compared to Iori because I hear people claim that to be an Echo, characters have to be the same height.
According to the SNK wiki, Kyo is just one centimeter shorter than Iori. Such a small difference in height probably wouldn't come into play since their height is pretty much the same.

Flik

Smash Journeyman
Lucina is shorter than Marth by 3 or 4 cm; Chrom is shorter than Roy by 2 or 3 cm; and Richter is shorter than Simon by 1 or 2 cm - I know that because I measured all of them on training mode :upsidedown: - Kyo and Iori's height difference wouldn't be problem at all.

Their very different movesets, on the other hand... lol

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Height differences don't really matter. With the relataive same body proportions, you can easily flub up to almost a foot in height difference.

I just think it would be a fundamental betrayel of Iori's character if he were to just copy Kyo. Would be like seeing Vegeta do the Kamehameha, lol.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
It would be great if once the dlc is over, Sakurai adds a character he wants, and it's Kyo. No music, no stage, just Kyo himself as a fighter at a cheaper price. I would instantly buy it.
But looking at Terry's trailer, there's a chance that he'll miss the letter again and either Ryo or Iori catches it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I hope this comes across as sincere-

I think it's pretty ridiculous to think a second SNK fighter would get in. But I absolutely love the resolution and adoration that Smash brings out of the fans, such as in threads like this.

Cadillac

Smash Seeker
I suddenly got curious, will he get Joker styled alt costumes?
He has 4 main looks: Orochi Saga(School uniform with headband), NESTS Saga(White jacket with black shirt), 03 and XI's outfit(Black jacket with a sun mark on back) and the KOF XIV outfit.
Since Terry's MOW outfit didn't have his hat, it couldn't be used. However if I'm correct Kyo doesn't have any taunts or victory poses that uses his headband, so maybe he might have 3 or 4 alts, like how Joker has his thief clothes and the Shujin Academy uniform.
My personal favorite is the 03 and XI's outfit.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I suddenly got curious, will he get Joker styled alt costumes?
He has 4 main looks: Orochi Saga(School uniform with headband), NESTS Saga(White jacket with black shirt), 03 and XI's outfit(Black jacket with a sun mark on back) and the KOF XIV outfit.
Since Terry's MOW outfit didn't have his hat, it couldn't be used. However if I'm correct Kyo doesn't have any taunts or victory poses that uses his headband, so maybe he might have 3 or 4 alts, like how Joker has his thief clothes and the Shujin Academy uniform.
My personal favorite is the 03 and XI's outfit.
Sakurai would probably just add his regular Orochi saga outfit, but damn would I love to see NESTS Kyo in Smash become a reality.

D

Deleted member

Height differences don't really matter. With the relataive same body proportions, you can easily flub up to almost a foot in height difference.

I just think it would be a fundamental betrayel of Iori's character if he were to just copy Kyo. Would be like seeing Vegeta do the Kamehameha, lol.
Why can't Iori be like Ken or Chrom?

Top Bottom